New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    I've just been rereading strip #55. If Xykon had hired Nale & co to retrieve the Talisman, wouldn't that be a pointer to the MITD being a monster from a previous edition?
    Xykon hired me to kill you, unaware that the Talisman for which I searched lay in his dungeon.
    So, he didn't hire Nale to find the Talisman.

strip 57

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Does it matter? He didn't hire the Linear Guild to retrieve the talisman; he hired them to kill the Order of the Stick. Nale said Xykon didn't even know the talisman Nale sought was in his dungeon; taking as read that Nale doesn't actually know what Xykon does or doesn't know, that still rules out Xykon having mentioned the talisman to Nale.
    I'm not the first to say so either.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2014-08-27 at 04:58 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Zodar can't explain the circus scene without invoking some non-canonical looks. A guy in black armour does not make for a riveting show.

So I have been told, way too many times to be counted. And yet, neither is a list of "cool iconic" monsters forthcoming from such declarations, nor is there a rational reason why it would "make more sense".

I should add, for the record, that I have been informed that the Zodar is iconic, although the particular person that declared it so did not think to tell me if it is also cool.

Grey Wolf

IIRC The Giant decided what MITD was ~strip#100, the way the strip was at that time....the humour, the atmosphere, the references.....the sorcerers' pies, the cinema snack fights....IMO it definitely makes sense for it to be some sorta semi-joke iconic non-DnD monster (eg Godzilla, but definitely not that).

I don't have a suggestion atm, but can definitely understand & agree why people think it...

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arogyos View Post
    IIRC The Giant decided what MITD was ~strip#100, the way the strip was at that time....the humour, the atmosphere, the references.....the sorcerers' pies, the cinema snack fights....IMO it definitely makes sense for it to be some sorta semi-joke iconic non-DnD monster (eg Godzilla, but definitely not that).

I don't have a suggestion atm, but can definitely understand & agree why people think it...
    I think you misunderstood Grey Wolf.

He doesn't in any way say that MitD can't be iconic (or must be DnD), but that it doesn't need to be iconic (whatever that means). The iconic-ness or DnD-ness or the coolness isn't relevant for a monster to fulfill the requirements for being MitD.

If you think that a iconic non-DnD monster is a good fit, just propose it and say why you think it could be MitD. But saying "it should be iconic" doesn't help. We don't know whether or not MitD is iconic or not (or DnD or not DnD; or cool or not).

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Except #100 is also when Rich sat down and planned the rest of the comic: the plot, the major scenes, the ending and, because he had to fit all of that with what had already been written, what the MitD would turn out to be. That is the time when the comic shifted focus from silly gags to a more serious storyline. Thus, anchoring the idea that MitD might turn out to be something silly on the fact that early on the comic was sillier is not a solid argument, since MitD only became a specific type of creature when the comic underwent Cerebus Syndrome.

That said, even if you are right, I still fail to see how "silly" would equate with "iconic". Still, if that were the case, may I suggest our earliest FBS creature, Snorlax? Very iconic, fits the big scenes, known for being lazy and eating almost anything, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a child aged 8-18 that doesn't know of it or at least recognises it on sight.

Edit: Also, what ChristianSt said.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-09-02 at 08:31 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #155
    Pixie in the Playground

@Christian
    It was more intended as a response to the statement that "nor is there a rational reason why it would "make more sense"." I tend to think the reasoning is fairly obvious.

@Grey_Wolf, true, I just went 'n read the comment and it does possibly suggest something more serious, and possible the argument against "obscure" isn't as strong as I thought. I was thinking of the sort of thing he'd come up with to be a mystery til the end (or near, mebe) of the comic....but in reality he already had a mystery shaped hole with mspaintadventures-Sepulchritude-build up to a big reveal for comedy reasons and was possibly just filling it with something level appropriate for endgame.

Snorlax? Nah, I'm not familiar enough with PM to be sure, but I don't think it's really ("should be") scary or ("we know how") powerful enough.

Also, do 8 year olds still play PM that much? It is a craze from the 90s....

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Also, do 8 year olds still play PM that much? It is a craze from the 90s....
    Couldn't tell you whether or not they play it more or less than they did in the '80s, but yes they do still play Pokemon.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2014-09-04 at 09:00 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

7. - Top - End - #157

Not sure if this has been discussed already, but I don't see reference to it in the OP, so probably either it has been and was rejected for a reason that isn't occurring to me, or hasn't been mentioned...

In appearances where the MitD is in darkness but not under the umbrella, the darkness-falloff-gradient is vertical in front of it instead of horizontal below it. Despite its eyes partly appearing in that light/dark gradient, we don't see its body at all, not even a silhouette or something. Does that maybe mean it has eye-stalks, or that its eyes are otherwise not closely attached to its body? (Being outright incorporeal is apparently ruled out by Redcloak's "undead material" comment, but maybe that was reading too much into it.)

Example: the "moldy cheeseburger" flashback panel in #475. Note that the gradient could have easily been more narrow, or drawn a little further to the left (behind the goblin with its tongue sticking out), putting the MitD entirely in an area of complete dark/black. Also note that, in the time since the strips this is a flashback to, there have been a few art upgrades and so that detail is less likely to be due to the sketchy/"deformed" (Haley's words) style of the earliest strips.

Thoughts?
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    Not sure if this has been discussed already, but I don't see reference to it in the OP, so probably either it has been and was rejected for a reason that isn't occurring to me, or hasn't been mentioned...

In appearances where the MitD is in darkness but not under the umbrella, the darkness-falloff-gradient is vertical in front of it instead of horizontal below it. Despite its eyes partly appearing in that light/dark gradient, we don't see its body at all, not even a silhouette or something. Does that maybe mean it has eye-stalks, or that its eyes are otherwise not closely attached to its body? (Being outright incorporeal is apparently ruled out by Redcloak's "undead material" comment, but maybe that was reading too much into it.)

Example: the "moldy cheeseburger" flashback panel in #475. Note that the gradient could have easily been more narrow, or drawn a little further to the left (behind the goblin with its tongue sticking out), putting the MitD entirely in an area of complete dark/black. Also note that, in the time since the strips this is a flashback to, there have been a few art upgrades and so that detail is less likely to be due to the sketchy/"deformed" (Haley's words) style of the earliest strips.

Thoughts?
    We did discuss this with reference to the planks in the circus. Nothing came of it that time. Good luck.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    Thoughts?
    Two of 'em:

1) It's a drawing clue. As such, it is subject to the same uncertainties of every other drawing clue.

2) I doubt it means much. The darkness is not connected to MitD that we know of, so the fact that magical impenetrable darkness is drawn with an horizontal or vertical gradient is of little consequence. Presumably, the gradient is generated with some ease by Illustrator, and any artifacts are consequence of the tool, rather than a fact about MitD or the magical darkness that surrounds him (at least, until such time as someone comments upon it in-comic).

As to why we only see the eyes, the answer is that we shouldn't see them, but they are drawn because that allows Rich to express MitD emotions. By RAW, a creature standing in the last square of magical darkness can see out, but no-one can see into the darkness, not even to spy the silhouette.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Two of 'em:

1) It's a drawing clue. As such, it is subject to the same uncertainties of every other drawing clue.

2) I doubt it means much. The darkness is not connected to MitD that we know of, so the fact that magical impenetrable darkness is drawn with an horizontal or vertical gradient is of little consequence. Presumably, the gradient is generated with some ease by Illustrator, and any artifacts are consequence of the tool, rather than a fact about MitD or the magical darkness that surrounds him (at least, until such time as someone comments upon it in-comic).

As to why we only see the eyes, the answer is that we shouldn't see them, but they are drawn because that allows Rich to express MitD emotions. By RAW, a creature standing in the last square of magical darkness can see out, but no-one can see into the darkness, not even to spy the silhouette.

Grey Wolf
    I think his point was about non-magical darkness.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

11. - Top - End - #161

MindFlayer

Wouldn't it be interesting if the MitD got an art upgrade too? One with hints?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    Wouldn't it be interesting if the MitD got an art upgrade too? One with hints?
    Oh, definitely. Seeing if there are any changes to what we can see of the MitD in the new art is one of the things I really want to see. I'm also beating that whatever it is, his new form will look totally awesome in the new art.

Peelee’s Lotsey

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Oh, definitely. Seeing if there are any changes to what we can see of the MitD in the new art is one of the things I really want to see. I'm also beating that whatever it is, his new form will look totally awesome in the new art.
    Interesting that the art-upgraded Monster out of the Darkness is the only Monster out of the Darkness we'll probably ever see in the main strip--assuming he's of a species that hasn't appeared before.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Interesting that the art-upgraded Monster out of the Darkness is the only Monster out of the Darkness we'll probably ever see in the main strip--assuming he's of a species that hasn't appeared before.
    I was thinking the same. It would be kind of funny if some sort of mystery remained after the reveal.

Peelee’s Lotsey

15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Lightbulb Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

Edit: Nevermind .... here stood a "maybe it's GRUE" post before I read section 3... :D
    Last edited by Hacktor; 2014-09-10 at 08:04 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    I realize that the line between something I made up and something someone else made up is a pretty fine one, but I trust that someone will figure it out eventually.
    Rich didn't invent MitD. His niece / granny / room-mate made something up tongue-in-cheek and Rich liked it so much he decided to use it.

Or, the MitD emerged (templated or otherwise) from a RPG campaign Rich was aware of / participating in. It would be possible for someone to figure out the MitD... but only one of those players.

(Actually I think this quote is just Rich's usual self-reflective philosophy, musing on the fact that a fictional monster is still a fictional monster whether he created it or someone else did... hence the "fine line"... and, further, that although there is a fine line someone [ahem] pondering and philosophising over the fundamental nature of the universe and literature will figure out what that line is, rather than someone will figure out MitD.)
    Last edited by JoeG; 2014-09-10 at 04:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    Rich didn't invent MitD. His niece / granny / room-mate made something up tongue-in-cheek and Rich liked it so much he decided to use it.

Or, the MitD emerged (templated or otherwise) from a RPG campaign Rich was aware of / participating in. It would be possible for someone to figure out the MitD... but only one of those players.

(Actually I think this quote is just Rich's usual self-reflective philosophy, musing on the fact that a fictional monster is still a fictional monster whether he created it or someone else did... hence the "fine line"... and, further, that although there is a fine line someone [ahem] pondering and philosophising over the fundamental nature of the universe and literature will figure out what that line is, rather than someone will figure out MitD.)
    That sounds like the kind of fan-trolling only Andrew Hussie is capable of. So unless Rich has secretly been Andrew Hussie all along, no.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

18. - Top - End - #168

Not sure whether your parenthetical is meant to be taken entirely seriously, but I don't think your interpretation is supported by what he wrote. He states early that "Once I started developing the real story that I was telling, around strip #100, I figured out what the monster really was and have been dropping hints ever since." This creates context which establishes that the mystery is in fact "what the monster is," not "what the line between something I made up and something someone else made up" is.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Not sure whether your parenthetical is meant to be taken entirely seriously, but I don't think your interpretation is supported by what he wrote. He states early that "Once I started developing the real story that I was telling, around strip #100, I figured out what the monster really was and have been dropping hints ever since." This creates context which establishes that the mystery is in fact "what the monster is," not "what the line between something I made up and something someone else made up" is.
    Right. If it's out of copyright, it's old, older than Mickey Mouse. Which leaves us with Lewis Caroll, myth, and the stories Cervantes railed against (which sound like fine fantasy, if in need of translation).
    Last edited by halfeye; 2014-09-17 at 03:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Oh there's no doubt he knows what the MitD is, and that he's happy to generate fan interest on the point, and that that's the general point of the post.

But I genuinely believe that closing separate paragraph is Rich's self-reflective philosophical muse, not a specific hint about the MitD. He often muses like that in his prefaces and so forth... mixing discussion of OotS specifically with muses about the creative process, story telling, the nature of fiction in general, how all this reflects on real life and so forth. I'd read that many times and never once thought he meant anything other than a wry "my fiction, someone else's fiction ... amusement that one would be considered legitimate and the other would be cheating".

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

(sorry, "ps" for clarity ... I'm just quoting and commenting on that "fine line" *last* one-sentence paragraph. But yes explicitly the MitD as he said is not just invented out of his own head for OotS so certainly it can be found elsewhere.)

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

No. The same quote from Rich definitely excludes this. Recall,

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    I will say this much: It is possible to guess.
    That is, it isn't something I just made up for the story. It wouldn't be any fun for the answer to a mystery to be something I invented just for one purpose, would it? I won't finally throw back the darkness and have someone say, "Look! It was a therblewurkersaurus the entire time!" or some other made-up monster.
    The monster the Giant's room-mate has invented is not possible to guess, and it wouldn't be any fun if it was the answer to the mistery.

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Right. If it's out of cpyright, it's old, older than Mickey Mouse. Which leaves us with Lewis Caroll, myth, and the stories Cervantes railed against (which sound like fine fantasy, if in need of translation).
    We've already mentioned lots of other works whose copyright have expired. Even I have mentioned one or two, though they're not really good matches.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I have a query -- is it possible that Rich's "fine line" comment might be interpreted as authorial spin? For instance, we pretty clearly have "vampires" (which somebody else invented) and "vampires as used in OOTS," which is Rich's. That *could* be an admonition for us not to get too technical (except for fun) while we try to guess, and maybe instead simply to focus on what best fits the big iconic scenes as we get the list of "things that this dude could be."

(I still think "my Daddy's a big eater" has got to be a hugenormous hint, but darned if I can really come up with anything beyond my already-shot-down which fits the bill).

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
    I have a query -- is it possible that Rich's "fine line" comment might be interpreted as authorial spin? For instance, we pretty clearly have "vampires" (which somebody else invented) and "vampires as used in OOTS," which is Rich's. That *could* be an admonition for us not to get too technical (except for fun) while we try to guess, and maybe instead simply to focus on what best fits the big iconic scenes as we get the list of "things that this dude could be."

(I still think "my Daddy's a big eater" has got to be a hugenormous hint, but darned if I can really come up with anything beyond my already-shot-down which fits the bill).
    Rich's vampires are D&D vampires. Mechanically, they are certainly the same, and as far as the whole possession thing goes, I believe there is something in Libris Mortis indicating that is what happens. Admittedly, I don't have LM, so I can't be certain.

Peelee’s Lotsey

25. - Top - End - #175
    Colossus in the Playground

That said, I do think the creature in the darkness will most likely wind up fitting whatever he is as well as a succubus who can drain with any touch rather than needing a kiss or "act of passion" and has an innate Plane Shift fits "D&D succubus," or a paladin with Evasion fits "paladin," rather than carefully crossing the i's and dotting the t's of an entirely-by-the-book creature.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hang on. If Xykon regularly casts Cloister, wouldn't that mean that Vaarsuvius was unaffected by it? Although O-Chul should have been affected by it.

Unless RC's greater dispel or Xykon's Superb Dispel eliminated the cloister effect..

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Atomburster View Post
    Hang on. If Xykon regularly casts Cloister, wouldn't that mean that Vaarsuvius was unaffected by it? Although O-Chul should have been affected by it.

Unless RC's greater dispel or Xykon's Superb Dispel eliminated the cloister effect..
    I fail to see what this has got to do with MitD, so, in short:

V was affected by it. He needed an epic teleport to punch through. Once inside, though, Cloister does not stop you from teleporting out, so it would not affect O-Chul, except inasmuch as he would still be under the effect for things like locating him through magic for a few weeks after the escape.

Grey Wolf

28. - Top - End - #178

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    That said, I do think the creature in the darkness will most likely wind up fitting whatever he is as well as a succubus who can drain with any touch rather than needing a kiss or "act of passion" and has an innate Plane Shift fits "D&D succubus," or a paladin with Evasion fits "paladin," rather than carefully crossing the i's and dotting the t's of an entirely-by-the-book creature.
    A paladin with 2 levels of monk and wearing the correct armor could certainly have Evasion.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

29. - Top - End - #179

GnomePirate

I know it isn't relevant, since the Giant said it long before strip 100 (around 52) and it directly contradicts Start of Darkness, but I found this sweet little sentence: "[...]he didn't create goblins or ogres, but he did create zombies and ogre zombies and whatever is in the shadows there."
    Which, I think, is funny. That's all. *Hides in shadows again*

(Psst, how does one link to one specific post?)
    Last edited by Murk; 2014-09-18 at 02:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    (Psst, how does one link to one specific post?)
    Right-click the post number on the top right hand corner, select "Copy Link Location"

GW