New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

(link)

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

I'm sad I missed the actual post. Just as well, I suppose.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Samesies, but having Grey Wolf post a topical XKCD strip made up for it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

It's basically exactly what you're imagining.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #245

NinjaGuy

I'm sad I missed the actual post.
    Don't be. It'-

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    It's basically exactly what you're imagining.
    Yeah that. GW, I'm very impressed by the way you handled that, but then again you've had a lot of practice I suppose
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Erm; I didn't have any malicious intentions though I see how my post could be interpreted that way lol.

I suppose I did come off as somewhat condescending, apologies for that buzz.

Anyway; did you guys actually get anywhere yet?

What's the progress?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kruploy View Post
    Erm; I didn't have any malicious intentions though I see how my post could be interpreted that way lol.

I suppose I did come off as somewhat condescending, apologies for that buzz.

Anyway; did you guys actually get anywhere yet?

What's the progress?
    If you mean "does this thread progress in what it wants to achieve?", then yes, this thread does it all the time.

If you mean "is this thread close at revealing what the MitD is?", then no. Because that isn't really the goal this thread has, because no one (other than Rich) can say whether we have figured it out or not.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #248

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    If you mean "does this thread progress in what it wants to achieve?", then yes, this thread does it all the time.

If you mean "is this thread close at revealing what the MitD is?", then no. Because that isn't really the goal this thread has, because no one (other than Rich) can say whether we have figured it out or not.
    Well, through the history of this thread, there have been quite a lot of creatures who we're pretty sure are not the MitD. Of course we could be mistaken, when the Giant suddenly reveals the MitD is the Son of Snarl, but that's a rather farfetched situation.
    So, yeah, we made progress, partially through the list of No's.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    Well, through the history of this thread, there have been quite a lot of creatures who we're pretty sure are not the MitD. Of course we could be mistaken, when the Giant suddenly reveals the MitD is the Son of Snarl, but that's a rather farfetched situation.
    So, yeah, we made progress, partially through the list of No's.
    We have to be careful about this, though. Just because to Murk and Grey Wolf there is a bunch of creatures that cannot possibly be the MitD (e.g. centaur), that doesn't mean that such conviction is common across all participants (e.g. Psammead). Every creature in the first page was proposed by someone. Sure, in many cases they were proposed in full knowledge that they didn't fit all the clues (Crusher, as usual, springs to mind as our most successful contributor) but instead proposed because they were close or offered an interesting twist on how they approached the clues, both of which are very useful to the thread as a way to foster discussion and further knowledge of MitD. But in other cases, the creatures were proposed with sincere belief that they were MitD, regardless of how far-fetched they seemed to others, and our worst flamewars have consistently happened when those beliefs were challenged. I do not keep track of which creatures were proposed for what purpose (it would likely be impossible to do so, anyway), so all creatures in the front page should be treated as equal - yes, some fit better or worse, but in many ways such fitness is an exercise in subjective judgement that is to be taken with certain amount of caution as to how extended such judgement is shared.

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Has anyone suggested that he's a Pooka?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%BAca

- A fairy creature with magical abilities.

- Shapeshifter, he might appear differently to different people.

- has the power of human speech

- Whatever form he uses, he's usually covered in dark fur. Good for hiding in shadows.

- Has glowing yellow eyes.

- Some are known to devour humans, while others have a benevolent nature.

- even the benevolent ones may have a terrifying appearance.

- Hungry - will devour all your crops if you don't harvest them on time

- can devastate the land (with an earthquake?) unless you leave a pooka's share of the crop.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

On Glaber-whatevers and their evil-twisting wishes: The entry states that if the Wish doesn't bring suffering to the world (an inherent part of the wish being made by O'Chul in this case), then the Glaber-whatever demands great evil. As in, will not relinquish its Wish without the Wishee doing some crazy evilness. By my interpretation its the Glaber-whatever's perogative if a wish produces enough suffering since he can make non-suffering Wishes if the Wishee does stuff for the Glaber-whatever.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

12. - Top - End - #252
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Hmm... A nice suggestion, but there are a few problems.

1) It doesn't appear to have an explanation for the escape scene.
    2) Doesn't explain the tower scene.
    I made my name too long, so just call me "AsteronI."

Spoiler: WW story
    Show
    About to die as wolf.
    Claims mason.
    Gets counter-claimed
    Baner dies by auto-lynch

13. - Top - End - #253

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by AsteronIronhoof View Post
    Hmm... A nice suggestion, but there are a few problems.

1) It doesn't appear to have an explanation for the escape scene.
    2) Doesn't explain the tower scene.
    That depends on whether someone finds a writeup for it somewhere. It does fit my criterion nicely - a well-known mythological creature WITHOUT a canonical D&D form.

I don't remember it being in 3rd ed, but it's been a while. I think it might have been in a different edition, or possibly a module?

14. - Top - End - #254

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Has anyone suggested that he's a Pooka?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%BAca

- A fairy creature with magical abilities.

- Shapeshifter, he might appear differently to different people.

- has the power of human speech

- Whatever form he uses, he's usually covered in dark fur. Good for hiding in shadows.

- Has glowing yellow eyes.

- Some are known to devour humans, while others have a benevolent nature.

- even the benevolent ones may have a terrifying appearance.

- Hungry - will devour all your crops if you don't harvest them on time

- can devastate the land (with an earthquake?) unless you leave a pooka's share of the crop.
    Hmm, that's interesting. The biggest problem I've got is the apparent lack of great STR and sturdy defenses, as a Pooka seems unlikely to be able to casually knock a horse entirely through a stone wall. I was eventually able to find a stat-ed version but it was only CR3.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by lothos View Post
    I'm not sure that does fit well with what happened. I read what you said about him having to then ride a shark for ages... but I don't think that is causing "Pain and Suffering in the World"... Perhaps you can hand wave it away by saying "Oh, but MitD is a reformed Glabrezu who isn't evil"... maybe.
    I think if you solve the "Glabrezu not an incarnate embodiment of evil" problem, this becomes a minor inconvenience. The SRD is describing what a _typical_ glabrezu would do. Why would it want to grant a wish that didn't bring a lot of evil to the world? That would be a waste of that limited resource.

Once you grant that MitD is not inherently evil, what HE would do could be entirely different.

The part I've been thinking about lately is the ritual. You can attribute a lot of things like the tower scene to "rule of funny". It just proves that MitD is very, very strong, not that it can literally plow a horse through a stone wall (although maybe it can). Being able to glance at a ritual and almost instantly realize it's only half a ritual... Yes, it advances a plot point, and maybe it was the only way Rich could think of to conveniently get that information to Tsukiko, but I tend to think there was more to it than that. Another possibility is that the MitD has actually seen the ritual before or heard Xykon and Redcloak talking about it somewhere, so he knew what it was.

I'm of the "MitD has a very high intelligence, but low wisdom" camp. The low wisdom can be due to age and lack of experience, which explains how he can now think of things like how to convince Xykon that "Flopsy" isn't something he should waste time on so that avenue of potential information/communication with O-Chul isn't destroyed, when before that would seem to be a lot more depth than his thoughts would go. I think bumping up an age category explains this best.

Hopefully we'll get some more MitD strips soon now that it looks like the OotS is heading back at Team Evil. Maybe he knows what really happens with vampirism and can play a part in that plotline reveal somehow.
    Skipper of the Good Ship O-ChOona (accepting crew applications)
    Launched June 3, 2016. Oona+O-Chul OTP Forever!!!!

"Like a tenacious child we were born, born to be wild ...
    we're gonna climb so high we're never gonna die" - Steppenwolf

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mouser9169 View Post
    Hopefully we'll get some more MitD strips soon now that it looks like the OotS is heading back at Team Evil. Maybe he knows what really happens with vampirism and can play a part in that plotline reveal somehow.
    While I am excited to see O-Chul and MitD again, Word of Giant says he will not know anything about campground.

Peelee’s Lotsey

17. - Top - End - #257
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

not helpful in the overall scheme, but the beast in question was in London, England a few days ago...
    https://www.facebook.com/LondonComic...type=3&theater

:)

18. - Top - End - #258

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thornbush8 View Post
    not helpful in the overall scheme, but the beast in question was in London, England a few days ago...

I can almost hear him extolling the virtues of loofas and lavender bath gel.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by thornbush8 View Post

London? Big glowy eyes? tMitD is a Yeti:

<Not seriously, that sort of Yeti is copyright the BBC.>
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

It's the Librarian

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

At the start of the thread, "Section 3d: Proposed ideas" says
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Grendel
    Unclear how it accounts for the escape scene, except if it were demon-spawn due to conversion to D&D, which is a very big stretch. Difficulty addressing its strength, defences, earthquake ability.
    Now, I agree that this is a very unlikely solution, because it doesn't explain the escape scene. However, the defences in particular are explained completely. We see the MitD attacked twice: Miko attacks him with two swords in 374, and Belkar with two daggers in 477. In the Beowulf epic, it is said in lines 801..805 that it is not possible to hurt Grendel with weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf 804..807, translation by Szegő György
    […] hogy a gaz Grendelt
    varázslat védi; nincs oly kemény vas,
    nincs kovácsolt kard kerek a földön,
    nincs győztes fegyver, mely fogni tudná
    förtelmes testét. […]
    (Grendel is eventually defeated in a bare-handed fight without weapons.) It's not clear what this would mean in DnD rules exactly, but it would surely protect him from these two attacks (and not from a papercut), so it still matches all we've seen about the MitD's defences.

Further, Grendel has shown that he is strong enough to damage a building and strong furniture:

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf 770..783
    […] Vad zajtól zengett a csarnok,
    csak csoda őrizte, hogy össze nem dőlt,
    s bírt ellenállni a bősz birkózók
    tombolásának, bár kívül-bévül
    mesteri módon kovácsolt pántok
    tették szilárddá. Vad viadaluktól
    kidőlt a padlóból az arannyal kivert
    sok mézsörpad, melyet mindenki magasztalt.
    Dehogyis hitték a dánok bölcsei,
    hogy ember ereje e szép, csontdíszű
    padokat egykor el tudná törni,
    s ravaszul rombolni, hacsak nem lángok
    ölelik lobogva. […]
    Sure, the horse-shaped hole in the wall is probably an exaggeration, but Grendel would probably have enough strength to damage the tower walls.

In summary, I don't think the MitD could be Grendel or any of his kin, but I think that description is inaccurate, so please edit it so it doesn't say it's difficult to address his defences.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    In summary, I don't think the MitD could be Grendel or any of his kin, but I think that description is inaccurate, so please edit it so it doesn't say it's difficult to address his defences.
    I'm afraid that since I can't read... whatever that language is, it doesn't actually constitute a valid argument to assure me that it explains how Grendel!MitD would hit a horse through a wall. As to the first part, I don't quite follow. You say that because she was wrestled to death, she cannot be hurt by weapons?

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-12-07 at 03:16 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm afraid that since I can't read... whatever that language is, it doesn't actually constitute a valid argument to assure me that it explains how Grendel!MitD would hit a horse through a wall. As to the first part, I don't quite follow. You say that because she was wrestled to death, she cannot be hurt by weapons?

Grey Wolf
    English translation (by Seamus Heaney) might make things clearer:
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf, lines 800-804
    There was something they could not have known at the time,
    That no blade on earth, no blacksmith's art
    Could ever damage their demon opponent.
    He had conjured the harm from the cutting edge
    Of every weapon.
    So the poem explicitly says that Grendel can't be harmed by swords or daggers. As for Grendel's strength:

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf, lines 770-781
    The hall clattered and hammered, but
    Survived the onslaught and kept standing:
    It was handsomely structured, a sturdy frame
    Braced with the best of blacksmith’s work
    Inside and out. The story goes
    That as the pair struggled, mead benches were smashed
    And sprung off the floor, gold fittings and all.
    Before then, no Shielding elder would believe
    There was any power or person on earth
    Capable of wrecking their horn-rigged hall
    Unless the burning embrace of fire
    Engulf it in flame.
    ithilanor on Steam.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    English translation (by Seamus Heaney) might make things clearer:
    OK, thanks, that I can buy. I'll revisit the entry in the next refresh.

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    So the poem explicitly says that Grendel can't be harmed by swords or daggers. As for Grendel's strength:
    OK, maybe I'm missing something, but that said that the hall survived because it was well-constructed. All they managed was to break some gold-inlaid drinking benches. Sure, they thought it would take fire to break them, but a good brawl managed it too. Since presumably those were not stone wall-thick benches, I am not convinced, myself.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-12-07 at 03:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

As to the first part, I don't quite follow. You say that because she was wrestled to death, she cannot be hurt by weapons?
    I'm not sure, but I think it's the other way around. She could not be hurt by weapons, so wrestling was the only way to kill her.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think it's the other way around. She could not be hurt by weapons, so wrestling was the only way to kill her.
    It seems so, but hopefully you can understand my confusion given that the text was given to me translated into what I assume is Øld Nőnsensicüm ().

GW

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

You can find the original Beowulf or likely a translation to whatever language you prefer to read. That's why I gave the line numbers. Here's an English translation (1909) by Francis B. Gummere:

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf, translation (1909) by Francis B. Gummere, lines 801..805
    […]—no keenest blade,
    no fairest of falchions fashioned on earth,
    could harm or hurt that hideous fiend!
    He was safe, by his spells, from sword of battle,
    from edge of iron. […]
    As for damaging the building, I'm not convinced about that part, so there could be problems with the strength. I'm only sure the defences are enough.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2014-12-08 at 01:51 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Giant has shown knowledge of the Final Fantasy universe, and FF Tactics has an easter egg character named Beowulf (who can cast magic).

Just saying. I'm not knowledgeable enough of the OotS universe to argue it gives any credibility to the Grendel theory.

29. - Top - End - #269

The hunters called it "one of these", I doubt it is anything unique .
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    The hunters called it "one of these", I doubt it is anything unique .
    Grendel wasn't technically unique. He had a mother, after all, and he was "one of the descendants of Cain."

I don't think the Grendel idea is plausible, of course. Just pointing out that the "one of these" line shouldn't by itself disqualify the idea.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.