New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Can any spell hurt it?

You're 50th level and the best buff you can think of is Tenser's?

Yes, buf'n'go is the best strategy. Followed by summons.

But if you're dead-set on killing it using direct damage:
    Wizard 5 / Incantatrix 10 / Archmage 5

You're looking for Arcane Thesis in an Orb Of Whatever, and all the usual ray enhancement spells (split ray, twin spell, empower, maximize, whatever).

Use the generic Orb of Pwn with the Archmage's Energy Substitution to make it Sonic.

Artificer is even better, since they can do this two-fisted monkey style, and at level 12 or so. But neh, Artificer is crazy.

EDIT:
    My bad. I meant to say do all of this except Split-Ray, because you're doing it with any random AOE spell with no spell resistance. That's all, carry on.
    Last edited by Squash Monster; 2008-03-06 at 12:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    why...Why...WHY did you bring this obscenity back up? Wasn't it cheesy enough the FIRST time?!
    Seriously, enough is enough, let this thread die

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

This might have been mentioned, but it's late and there are 8 pages to read.

Beguiler 20 gets to bypass SR. Beguiler spells are mostly will saves, which is this guy's weakest. Starting at 18 cha plus 12 more by the time you're level 50 for a 30 charisma. Is it safe to assume you can get a +10 stat item at that point and a +5 tome? That's a 45 charisma, for a +24 bonus. With focus and greater focus enchantment, your level 0 spells will have a save DC of 36. So a dominate monster would have a DC of 45, which he makes on a 9. I assume that between levels 6 and 50 you can find more feats and shenanigans (maybe fate spinner?), or epic feats for charisma, levels of fatespinner, quickened fear to leave foe shaken if he makes his save, or even heighten into an epic slot, to raise the DC a little.

That leaves us with bypassing the spell reflection. Spells can only bounce once, so get some spell reflection on your own bad self. Then hit yourself with dominate monster to bounce it to him. Problem solved and you win a badass pet.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

This bugger doesn't even have Power Resistance?!?

Just hit it with a Psion. Augmented Maximized Sonic Energy Ball should do it. Just get the Reflex save DC high enough and it'll go down fast. Or use Temporal Acceleration to make several Delayed versions of the same. More failed saves, more damage.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

Why does this thread keep getting raised from the dead?

It was an idiotic thread to begin with and it hasn't improved with age.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenex View Post
    So I have a problem, albiet a self-imposed one.

One day I decided to make a CR 45 monster. Now I'm trying to make a character that can kill it, and have run into a problem: I can't find any spells that can do it meaningful damage, if any damage at all.
    Here's why:
    -It is Immune to Polymorph, Mind-affecting, Fire, Poison, Disease, Energy Drain, Ability Damage, Sleep, Paralysis, Cold
    -It reflects all spells that are Rays, Lines, Cones, or Magic-Missiles
    -It reflects all spells that target it specifically (as Spell Turning, but permanent)
    -It has Spell Resistance 385
    -It has Lightning and Acid Resist 105
    -It has the following saves: Fort 69, Ref 55, Will 36

Are there any spells that can directly damage/kill it? I've flipped through quite a few books to no avail. I realize it could easily be killed by a mob of angry summoned Solars or an angry horde of Allips, but that's not what I'm looking to do. Assume the caster trying to kill it has a base caster level of 50.

Can any spell hurt it?
    I skimmed the thread and may have missed a few points. Curious regarding this legendary cheese campaign monster. It's basically a TPK with a completely unknown monster that is immune or basically immune to almost all types of attacks and the PC is prohibited from using cheese in a duel.

How about a little more information? What is the PC ECL? What kind of Wealth by Level does the PC receive? General AC, HD, Attacks and Movement of the monster? What kind of knowledge checks does the PC need to make to adapt his combat strategy and learn some of this knowledge to tailor his tactics?

One of the best PCs to use would be to use an ECS Planar Shepherd via PRC abilities, Animal Companion and Summoning spells depending on the AC of the creature. Taking on a few templates would probably be a good ideal to pick up some spell like or similar (psionic or supernatural) abilities.

Planar Ally to call a Noble Djinni or Efretti dpending on how Wishes work in your game.

It also depends on how psionics work in your game.

Tome of Battle is Extraordinary and Supernatural attacks via manuevers and good for a few level dips at higher levels.

Hypercognition probably a good way to ensure making the critical knowledge check or checks to adapt tactics.

Wilder Anarchic Initiate using Sonic Energy Attacks and Astral Constructs to damage it depending on how magic and psionics works in your campaign. (Energy "Ball" (Sonic) plus other attacks as necessary) with Damp Power up.

Fullcaster using Calling and Summoning Spells since it is effectively immune to the majority of the spells in the game and they would be indirect damage attacks and some have useful indirect spell like abilities for the most part unless it also has Epic DR.

Even better with ECL 40+ is going multiple fullcaster spellcasting in several disciplines.

(Miracle) or Greater Miracle to create a very deep huge chasm underneath the creature so it falls to it's death (Unless it can fly) so the reflex save is unimportant.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-03-06 at 02:25 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbration View Post
    This bugger doesn't even have Power Resistance?!?

Just hit it with a Psion. Augmented Maximized Sonic Energy Ball should do it. Just get the Reflex save DC high enough and it'll go down fast. Or use Temporal Acceleration to make several Delayed versions of the same. More failed saves, more damage.
    SR = PR unless you use houserules. That is the default way D&D is run. Non-Transparency aren't the default.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    SR = PR unless you use houserules. That is the default way D&D is run. Non-Transparency aren't the default.
    Ah, right. My bad, I'm pretty new to psionics so I didn't know.

A pity, though.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    I disagree Psionics are the same (Magic) or they are different depending on the DM. As per his previous post he was treating them as being different. It opened up the creature to attacks by a few more classes.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-03-06 at 09:42 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm kinda surprised nobody whipped this one out yet... But why not try the locate city bomb?

Apply the following to the spell Locate City, from Races of Destiny (range: 10 miles/CL):

Snowcasting [Frostburn] -> Make it cold
    Flash Frost [PHB2] -> 2 cold damage to everyone
    Energy Admixture/Substitution [depending on who you ask]-> Make it electric
    Born of the Three Thunders -> Allows a reflex save, damage becomes sonic
    Explosive Spell -> Reflex save or forced to the edge of the radius, for 1d6/10 feet.

Now of course, you would want to cast all of these inside of a maximized, empowered time stop and throw on a Delay metamagic. That way you could get an average of 5 or 6, actually MORE if you used those Quicken rods your estimated character wealth allows (say 10 or 12).

When you come out, if he rolls a one on any of his saves, he's toast... If he doesn't, then you go back into time stop and try again.

And let's see... Energy Admixture is +4, Explosive spell is +2, Flash Frost is +1. That's a net spell modifier of +7, throw in Metamagic School Focus (Divination) and either Residual Magic or some Incantrix cheese... You can easily cast this spell 20 times. Throw in Delay spell for +3 modifier, that's still only a +6 modifier with Metamagic School Focus. Residual Magic the Energy Admixture one round, then the Delay spell the next round, and you're set.

As far as damage goes... Let's say this is a 45th level caster.

45*10 miles = 450 miles
    450miles = 2,376,000 feet
    2,376,000 feet/10 = 237,600 10' blocks
    => 237,600d6

With an average of 3.5/d6, that's 831,600 damage on average. :-)

Death by exhaustion!
    -- Gecko

11. - Top - End - #221
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Got it! Eschew Materials feat + Major Creation.

There's no book value listed for either Osmium or it's antimatter counterpart. Just summon Anti-Osmium to the limit of your casting ability in contact with the critter. (Point of order: given an Earth-equivalent density, and assuming it has the DR of rock at all points, it takes a 17th level caster to summon enough Anti-Osmium to fragment the planet. Imagine what a 50th could do.)

EDIT:
    Osmium is 22610 kg/cubic meter. A 50th level caster summons 50 cubic feet, or a cube 3.7 feet to a side. This converts over to be roughly 15.25 cubic meters, for a final density of 344,802 kg. 1 gram of antimatter produces roughly a 43 kiloton reaction (doubling once the matter is added into the equation, so the detonation of 1g of AM in contact with 1g of matter is 86kt). We have 344,802,500 grams of anti-osmium, for a total yield of 29,653,015,000,000 kilotons. (these are metric tons of 1,000kg each, for a total of 29,653,015,000,000,000 kiloGRAMS of TNT) 1 lb of TNT does 3d6 damage, or, converting over, 0.454 kg of TNT does 3d6 damage. So, dividing 29,653,015,000,000,000 by 0.454 yields 65,315,011,013,215,859 increments of 3d6. So, multiply by three, and get 195,945,033,039,647,577d6 damage.

Congratulations, you've just done 195 quadrillion damage minimum. Your average damage is 685,807,615,638,766,519 hp.

685 quadrillion hp damage. That ought to blow through most DR. And it's not fire damage (even though TNT is usually thought of that way). It's just plain old force damage.
    This is where the DM should rule that you dealt significant enough damage to the environment that you should harm yourself as well. Perhaps blow up the planet at least. Because anti-matter is the one weapon proven capable of sundering earth north to south.

Also consider area/saturation physics which can't directly be ruled. Half damage at AoE and deal more damage at the 'core' of the explosion.

I could take this thread to dicefreaks, so even it this is a thread necro I could continue the discussion over there. :)
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-01-25 at 01:40 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aw, you couldn't wait 19 more days? It would have been this thread's 2nd Bday. This is why we can't have nice things.

Anyway, let this thread die. It is old, and needs to be cut off of life support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Piece of cake:

Chaos Arrows tactic:

2x quickened Twin Telekinesis (2x 9th level slots with auto-quicken). Arrows with energy weapon spell (or similar) maximised, admixtured, mastered to all energy types except fire (4x 9th level slots).

That's 60 arrows doing 1d4 piercing + 48 energ damage each. Assuming you hit its AC (which you easily do at that level) you deal 3000 points of damage.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

14. - Top - End - #224

High level wizard with autoquicken and several multispells.

Quickened Limited Wish - pass next SR check
    or
    Archmage spell like ability: Death by Thorns
    Supernatural Transformation: Death by Thorns

Quickened Death by Thorns (BoVD) - Die or be stunned
    Quickened Gate - Titan, or something similarly huge. "You there, CDG that monster"

Other method: Justicar, antimagic shackles, absurd grapple check, CDG.
    Last edited by quick_comment; 2009-01-25 at 09:57 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Banned

Someone on dicefreaks said that the CR of this creature should be around 350 or 380 if the SR is 400.

So have an equivalent level caster.

If spells like improved/epic haste existed (maybe you could create one with that much XP available for the caster) then you could cast a lot more then three spells per round, wiggle past the SR with your phenomenal prime attribute and level and burninate. And that's only the beginning of it.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-01-27 at 03:40 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

01-12-2007

That is all.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

17. - Top - End - #227
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: Please don't commit thread necromancy.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there any particular reason why this thread was stickied?
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Because it's awesome. And has a nuclear explosion in it. And because Roland probably hit the wrong button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

20. - Top - End - #230
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    Gate to the elemental plane of fire under it?
    I was thinking teleport (is there a save and/or spell resistance to that?) it into a volcano. Also, just because you can't directly harm it with magic, you can also buff up the tanks with spells and summon stuff to kick its ass with spells.

Don't forget about Wish/Miracle too.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    I was thinking teleport (is there a save and/or spell resistance to that?) it into a volcano.
    Teleport is willing only. Also, isn't it immune to fire?
    Last edited by monty; 2009-04-10 at 04:20 PM.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

22. - Top - End - #232
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Teleport is willing only. Also, isn't it immune to fire?
    Then I teleport it into your mom.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Effigy Cheese: Get Craft Construct at 9th level. Buff up something with 9HD with as many templates as possible, then make it an effigy. It still has the same cost. It will lose a lot of its special abilities, but to quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Arcane on Effigys
    You lose all spell-like abilities, Supernatural abilities, and extrodinary abilities based on Constitution.
    RAW, the based on Con bit applies to all of it because of the stupidity of the english language.

I made up somemonster for this a while back and called it "The Win DND Button"