Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Zentei's Law

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2006

    Default Zentei's Law

    After some deliberation on recent threads where people see fit to explicitly state that they will not mention a certain fallen paladin (thus contradicting themselves), and where they do mention her in threads that are obviously started with the intent of talking about someting other, I have formulated the following Law:

    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    That is all.
    Last edited by Lord Zentei; 2007-02-13 at 03:24 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    Fanclubbery list:

    Miko fanclub.

    Roy fanclub.

    Hinjo fanclub.

    The Chief fanclub.

    The Xykon fanclub. Because Evil is just that cool.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    So let it be written.
    So let it be done.
    and then let it be edited a few times afterward...

    I choose to lose!

    Miko is a dirty, rotten, no-good, Shojo stabbin' biotch!
    Last edited by Hallavast; 2007-02-13 at 03:29 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Tilian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Okay, I think I can get behind the revised version there.

    I like Miko and all, but the original prevented legitimate criticism of her. Good change.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Member of the Miko Miyazaki Fan Club as of #407

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2006

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilian View Post
    Okay, I think I can get behind the revised version there.

    I like Miko and all, but the original prevented legitimate criticism of her. Good change.
    Yah, I really hadn't intended to eliminate valid, on-topic criticism, merely hater bandwagons.

    Only I realized that it might be misinterpreted. Thus the revision.


    EDIT: I have now added the Law to my signiature.
    Last edited by Lord Zentei; 2007-02-13 at 03:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    Fanclubbery list:

    Miko fanclub.

    Roy fanclub.

    Hinjo fanclub.

    The Chief fanclub.

    The Xykon fanclub. Because Evil is just that cool.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Demented's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In search of cheese

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    I am going to invoke part 2 of Zentei's law as often as I can, just because it's there.

    Partly because I see your Attempt To Influence Forum Behavior By Imposing On Others' Impressionability (Or is that Impressionableness? Maybe I need a better word.) and raise you a Concept Used Too Often Becomes Meaningless.

    Also partly because I think the results will be amusing.

    Is there a "Zentei's Law Fanclub"? If not... one should be made in SMBG. :evilgrin:
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2006

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    I am going to invoke part 2 of Zentei's law as often as I can, just because it's there.

    Partly because I see your Attempt To Influence Forum Behavior By Imposing On Others' Impressionability (Or is that Impressionableness? Maybe I need a better word.) and raise you a Concept Used Too Often Becomes Meaningless.

    Also partly because I think the results will be amusing.

    Is there a "Zentei's Law Fanclub"? If not... one should be made in SMBG. :evilgrin:
    If nothing else, it specifies "when irrelevant to the thread topic".

    Thus the only way you can make it meaningless is if somehow hijacks and red herrings become a-ok. Good luck with that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    Fanclubbery list:

    Miko fanclub.

    Roy fanclub.

    Hinjo fanclub.

    The Chief fanclub.

    The Xykon fanclub. Because Evil is just that cool.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Damnit, I shoulda thunk o' this.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    slayerx's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zentei View Post
    Zentei's Law[LIST=1][*]As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    Technically, the probablity of ANYONE being mentioned increases... afterall, as discussions go on, there is no real telling where it might digress
    Last edited by slayerx; 2007-02-13 at 04:39 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Demented's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In search of cheese

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zentei View Post
    If nothing else, it specifies "when irrelevant to the thread topic".

    Thus the only way you can make it meaningless is if somehow hijacks and red herrings become a-ok. Good luck with that.
    You specified "mentions her in a disparaging way", which can easily be done as an aside with every post I make. It'd only be as difficult as you say if you had specified "hijacks the thread and provokes a heated argument about her". Not that I'm averse to the idea.... The levels of subtlety and guile required would make an interesting challenge. XD
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2006

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    first, Technically, the probablity of ANYONE being mentioned increases... afterall, as discussions go on, there is no real telling where it might digress

    Second, Miko is more like the flavor of the month... a lot of the story and specualtion has revolved around her in recent pages, and thus poeple want to talk more about it; the same is about true whenever ANY character gets some good spotlight... i wouldn't be surprised if there was alot of Elan/thog talk back when he was busting out of jail and on his way to save the day(speculation on how he did it, why Thog was in a leprchaun suit). Some time away from Miko, and all the talk of her will die back down to the normal levels, until she does something major again. it's just a fad really...
    Looks like someone failed their "sense humour" check. This thread is a reference to Godwin's Law.

    Yes, obviously the probablity of anyone being mentioned increases. For some characters, it just happens more rapidly than for others. Also, as I pointed out, this is a dig at hater bandwagons.

    Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    You specified "mentions her in a disparaging way", which can easily be done as an aside with every post I make. It'd only be as difficult as you say if you had specified "hijacks the thread and provokes a heated argument about her". Not that I'm averse to the idea.... The levels of subtlety and guile required would make an interesting challenge. XD
    An aside would violate the law, of course. That being part of the point. ;)
    Last edited by Lord Zentei; 2007-02-13 at 04:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    Fanclubbery list:

    Miko fanclub.

    Roy fanclub.

    Hinjo fanclub.

    The Chief fanclub.

    The Xykon fanclub. Because Evil is just that cool.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Demented's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In search of cheese

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Oh goody. But now I'm having trouble... How do you define "irrelevant to the thread topic"? Does the mention of her need to be completely and entirely unrelated, with no apparent or specified connection between Miko and the thread's original and/or current topic, or will a loose/distant/obscure connection be sufficient?

    Edit: Oh, or is it the disparaging part that needs to be irrelevant? Is it impossible to violate the law in a thread meant to be disparaging against Miko?

    I'm having an intellectual crisis.
    And it's all Miko's fault.
    Last edited by Demented; 2007-02-13 at 05:24 AM.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Tilian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    I'm having an intellectual crisis.
    And it's all Miko's fault.
    Miko is infuriating that way. Utterly insufferable.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Member of the Miko Miyazaki Fan Club as of #407

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    TinSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Like Coffee_Dragon said, though, "All threads should be about Miko."

    But it did get a little out of hand for awhile... I just look forward to more comics with her in them. They're my favorites.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned
     
    Nevrmore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    In a psychotic nightmare and loving it
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    It's like if Gowin read the comic!

    Here's Nevrmore's Law, which is completely irrelevent to OOTS:

    "Everyone who gets in an argument over the internet believes they have a phD in psychology and have the right to exercise their opinion of anyone who earns their ire."

    Seriously, the chances of somebody getting told that they weren't loved enough as a child and that they lash out because they are a closested homosexual or something is like five times greater on the internet than anywhere else.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Haruki-kun's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Being Angelic
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    I never liked Miko, except when her cloak was still over her head and she was just a mysterious, cool stranger.
    Awesomest avatar EVAR by Lord Magtok.



    Spoiler
    Show
    He is... the most interesting Angel in the world.
    "I don't always keep spreadsheets over crazy voting patterns on the first day. But when I do, I'm the one running the game."


    ~Credit to Skippy for second line.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    "reaches unity" ??

    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Deploy the HADs!"
    "The HADs, sir?"
    "Halflings with Antipersonnel Disorder."

    Proud member of the Roy Fanclub!


  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2006

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg Pirate View Post
    "reaches unity" ??

    Huh?
    Unity = 1.

    As in, 100%.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    Fanclubbery list:

    Miko fanclub.

    Roy fanclub.

    Hinjo fanclub.

    The Chief fanclub.

    The Xykon fanclub. Because Evil is just that cool.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zentei View Post
    Unity = 1.

    As in, 100%.
    Oooooo. Hadn't heard of it used that way yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Deploy the HADs!"
    "The HADs, sir?"
    "Halflings with Antipersonnel Disorder."

    Proud member of the Roy Fanclub!


  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Miko is worst than Hitler.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Oooooooooh! Godwin's law has been invoked too!

    Awesome
    Last edited by Cyborg Pirate; 2007-02-14 at 01:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Deploy the HADs!"
    "The HADs, sir?"
    "Halflings with Antipersonnel Disorder."

    Proud member of the Roy Fanclub!


  21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    And here I wanted to say Nazi, ninja, pirate, Hitler, Stalin.




    (great smilies on this forum BTW, OOTS heads translate very well into smilies)

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Wait, so is this like the Nazi law, where in any argument/debate if someone uses the term Nazi, his argument is immediately discounted and disqualified?

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    unfortunatly this is a law meant to protect the use of the banned reference for when its ACTUALLY valid, but then prevents its use

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Josh the Aspie's Law:

    As a given person, character, or philosophy provokes more flames and off topic posts, the likelihood of someone creating a derivative of Godwin's law devoted to said entity approaches unity.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned
     
    Nevrmore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    In a psychotic nightmare and loving it
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Sothicus View Post
    Wait, so is this like the Nazi law, where in any argument/debate if someone uses the term Nazi, his argument is immediately discounted and disqualified?
    It's called Godwin's Law, not Nazi Law.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Demented's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In search of cheese

    Default Re: Zentei's Law

    No. Godwin's law states that the mention of Hitler approaches one as an argument continues.

    The idea that the first person to mention Hitler loses is NOT Godwin's law, it's just a principle that's been accepted as a way to curb Godwin's law's inevitability.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •