New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [FWM] OOC 5: Egocentric Changeling Hive

Oh MCerberus, I'll respond to your "present" post sometime soon. I just need to work a few more things out first.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Also, we'll be trying to wrap up the past Cirrus stuff ASAP, so that timeline stuff will stop being confusing. In the meantime, feel free to start making scenes in the present.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Er, using Slightheart as a nasty little title for any and all Pegasi/Unicorns born into the Stoutheart House. Could change it to something else if it just doesn't sound right, but I figured there would be some bullying and tension within the house concerning these obvious... lesser Ponies in the honorable House of Stoutheart!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Merellis View Post
    Er, using Slightheart as a nasty little title for any and all Pegasi/Unicorns born into the Stoutheart House. Could change it to something else if it just doesn't sound right, but I figured there would be some bullying and tension within the house concerning these obvious... lesser Ponies in the honorable House of Stoutheart!
    Honestly, I'm sore I didn't think of it first.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeez, do any of the noble houses have ANY redeeming qualities?
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

6. - Top - End - #186

House Stoutheart feeds Equestria, which is enough of a redeeming quality to allow their lesser qualities. It's horrible, but there'd be starving ponies all over if it weren't for them... And they know it.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360 View Post
    Jeez, do any of the noble houses have ANY redeeming qualities?
    Apologies if I mix things up here, my tired brain may not be thinking straight.

For all of House Stoutheart's crap, they do a lot in terms of hospitality and food production. They make a point of keeping solid, quality inns along major roads and ensuring they're always stocked with good food. In times of need they are among the first houses to take a loss if it means that ponies can still eat and sleep in relative comfort. Furthermore, once you're in with Stoutheart? You're in for life. If they together decided that Princess Luna wasn't going to go bonkers like her sister and that she was deserving of their trust, Stoutheart would literally fight to the last pony to keep Equestria united and safe. This doesn't excuse the massive problems they exhibit, but it shows that there is good to be found in each of the houses. At least, if I'm doing my job right.

And as an aside, despite how often everypony fears another shunning like in the days of Iron Hoof, they really don't wave that weapon around because that's bringing out big, nasty, M.A.D. guns. They'll win that confrontation only by losing less than the other guy.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a whole tangent prepared, and now I just feel really, really sad. How is it even possible that the house does any humanitarian efforts if it's full of people like that? That's reminiscent of a situation in which the KKK was a world power and for some reason decided to push out orphanages and food banks - universal ones, at that. The actions of Burdock and the dead noble in particular make me think that the whole thing is a really well-executed Cult front. When we add in Solace, who supported a regime that was Equestria's version of Stalinist Russia, and Lunatic, whose domestic policy is something like the worst bits of the CIA and NSA, Luna must be going insane both dealing with this and trying to stop a full-out civil war ifwhen the populace catches on. Hurricane is the best example of 'good pony' groups we have so far, and they're our token racists.
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2014-09-24 at 04:27 PM.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

I had a whole tangent prepared, and now I just feel really, really sad. How is it even possible that the house does any humanitarian efforts if it's full of people like that? That's reminiscent of a situation in which the KKK was a world power and for some reason decided to push out orphanages and food banks - universal ones, at that. The actions of Burdock and the dead noble in particular make me think that the whole thing is a really well-executed Cult front. When we add in Solace, who supported a regime that was Equestria's version of Stalinist Russia, and Lunatic, whose domestic policy is something like the worst bits of the CIA and NSA, Luna must be going insane both dealing with this and trying to stop a full-out civil war ifwhen the populace catches on. Hurricane is the best example of 'good pony' groups we have so far, and they're our token racists.
    The short answer: People are complicated.

The long answer: All you've seen of Lord Burdock is a politician seeking justice for a slain kinsman. All you know of the dead noble is what has been told IC, which - by the by - is still a far cry from the whole truth. All you know of the foot soldiers is...well, they're foot soldiers. They have their orders, and all they've heard is that Solace murdered one of their own. As for Stoutheart as a whole, let me put it like this; less than a generation ago, the house went all-in on Celestia. They placed their full and unwavering trust in their rightful ruler, and as a direct result got burned. Hard. To say that they have trust issues is something of an understatement.

I wish I could say more, but that would be going into spoiler territory. Needless to say, House Stoutheart is a big, messy beast with a lot of folks trying to make sense of a world gone wrong, and I hope this adventure offers a glimpse into their workings.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll do my best to reserve judgment, then. I just have this personal bias against the 'all political bodies are vile' trope that's...eh, pretty much everywhere. I mean, we have it here on Earth in force, no need to spread it around. The real question is, should I try to match the setting's values with Lunatic, Solace, and the Thunderguard, or hit them with some of my idealism as we move forward?

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

So who's being Night Jewel's messenger again? Am I to do it myself, or can I expect a response from someone else?
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    So who's being Night Jewel's messenger again? Am I to do it myself, or can I expect a response from someone else?
    MCerberus was supposed to do it, I think. Poke him and see?

13. - Top - End - #193
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    MCerberus was supposed to do it, I think. Poke him and see?
    I think I have a way to get things rolling.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

I'll do my best to reserve judgment, then. I just have this personal bias against the 'all political bodies are vile' trope that's...eh, pretty much everywhere. I mean, we have it here on Earth in force, no need to spread it around. The real question is, should I try to match the setting's values with Lunatic, Solace, and the Thunderguard, or hit them with some of my idealism as we move forward?
    I try to treat a noble house a lot like a person; some good intentions, mixed in with a lot of ignorance, misinformation, and general brokenness that keeps it from fully shining through. You can be idealistic all you want, but just remember that these people and situations are tricky, and finding out what's right isn't always easy.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

As a head's up, I'm going to be gone on vacation this weekend. Posting will be incredibly limited, but I should be back Sunday evening sometime.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

I've figured out a post to get the Cirrus group back up to the present. I'll have a post up sometime in the next day or so.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Updates!

So, I dunno what's going on with Taylor and Sandy in backstage. Is this going to be montaged-out, or...?

I'm just holding steady for Purity to jump in before Aria and Harp continue in GoP.

In the main thread, should it be assumed Starbeam and Dawnstrider are already in the guardhouse?

Basically, poking Amish (nevermind that he just provided a notice >_>), Benson, and Purity.
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2014-09-29 at 05:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Updates!

So, I dunno what's going on with Taylor and Sandy in backstage. Is this going to be montaged-out, or...?

I'm just holding steady for Purity to jump in before Aria and Harp continue in GoP.

In the main thread, should it be assumed Starbeam and Dawnstrider are already in the guardhouse?

Basically, poking Amish (nevermind that he just provided a notice >_>), Benson, and Purity.
    Main thread: Yeah, it can be assumed. Do you want a filler scene before the meeting?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

That's up to you. I assume we'd all start off once NJ got there at any rate. Although a setup period might provide impetus for Starbeam to start showing/passing off her bag of tricks.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    (Part of me wants to know why she keeps a black corset at LS' place, but yeah. I think we're done here.)
    Gonna just answer this here. The answer is Es might have been storing up stuff over the weeks.

Also, any news on your vampony character? Are you still interested?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Gonna just answer this here. The answer is Es might have been storing up stuff over the weeks.
    Okay, Es? We need to talk. Specifically, about this statue that won't stop. Talking, i mean.

BANANAS AND CONGEALED ORGANS MADE OF HAMMER AND RYE~

Also, any news on your vampony character? Are you still interested?
    Having second thoughts (mostly nervous I'm gonna post and then immediately have to rewrite to keep from messing something up) but yeah, still interested. How extensive are vampony powers?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, Es? We need to talk. Specifically, about this statue that won't stop. Talking, i mean.

BANANAS AND CONGEALED ORGANS MADE OF HAMMER AND RYE~
    "But it's my favourite!"

Having second thoughts (mostly nervous I'm gonna post and then immediately have to rewrite to keep from messing something up) but yeah, still interested. How extensive are vampony powers?
    Let's see. The known ones are:
    Mind control (and ability to make minions out of victims)
    Glamour
    Extensive regenerative powers
    Supernatural strength and speed
    Does not sparkle
    Retains their abilities from their previous life, maybe even amplified

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

@Grif: You said something about wanting Sandy to meet with Pulp, right? I thought of a very easy way to handle that; one of Sandy's superiors orders him to take a relaxing walk around town for his own sanity's sake.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

Let's see. The known ones are:
    Mind control (and ability to make minions out of victims)
    Glamour
    Extensive regenerative powers
    Supernatural strength and speed
    Does not sparkle
    Retains their abilities from their previous life, maybe even amplified
    What about known weaknesses? Can they do things like crossing running water?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

What about known weaknesses? Can they do things like crossing running water?
    They burn very easily. Wooden weapons will halt their regeneration/hurt like the dickens, and a stake to the heart kills them for good. Exposure to sunlight will also burn them to ashes incredibly quickly. As we saw with Zephyr and a bit of Miss M, they cannot regenerate full limbs; they have to put their old limb back in place and only then will it heal. This also means that decapitation will kill a vampony dead.

Furthermore, they have to train themselves to feed properly. Miss M has had time and experience, so she can get her daily sustenance a pint of blood. Spectre's vamponies - the ones that are up for grabs - have been taught that they need significantly more, and have spent their whole existences gorging themselves. It will take some doing to train themselves to feed off a pony without killing them outright. Y'know, if they even want to.

A few more notes on general physical capabilities:
    -Vampony bite marks don't go away on their own. A vampony must lick the wound in order to close it, otherwise it'll keep bleeding out.
    -Vampony saliva also contains a powerful venom of sorts. When introduced through a bite, it induces a blissful, numbing euphoria in the victim. Highly addictive, it helps keep the victim from resisting the vampony's assault.
    -Vamponies can feed their blood to mortals to grant them a measure of their regenerative capabilities. In addition the unpleasant taste, some people might take issue with the whole process *cough cough Taylor cough* but as far as Miss M's seen, it carries no lasting side effects.
    -Vamponies turn mortals by draining them dry, and them performing some sort of ritual on the body. I believe it involves the vampony giving up a measure of their own blood, as well as a sliver of their soul. That's why vamponies with large numbers of "children" tend to be heartless monsters; their souls are so fragmented and shattered they haven't any empathy left. (This is also why Miss M has only had the one child, and is reluctant to take another.)
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2014-10-01 at 12:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206

That sounds hilariously fun.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

"But it's my favourite!"
    But do we need to keep it in the front? *wary look at it* It keeps insulting the customers.

McCHUBBY WITH A SIDE OF BUGF$#@ER
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    They burn very easily. Wooden weapons will halt their regeneration/hurt like the dickens, and a stake to the heart kills them for good. Exposure to sunlight will also burn them to ashes incredibly quickly. As we saw with Zephyr and a bit of Miss M, they cannot regenerate full limbs; they have to put their old limb back in place and only then will it heal. This also means that decapitation will kill a vampony dead.

Furthermore, they have to train themselves to feed properly. Miss M has had time and experience, so she can get her daily sustenance a pint of blood. Spectre's vamponies - the ones that are up for grabs - have been taught that they need significantly more, and have spent their whole existences gorging themselves. It will take some doing to train themselves to feed off a pony without killing them outright. Y'know, if they even want to.

A few more notes on general physical capabilities:
    -Vampony bite marks don't go away on their own. A vampony must lick the wound in order to close it, otherwise it'll keep bleeding out.
    -Vampony saliva also contains a powerful venom of sorts. When introduced through a bite, it induces a blissful, numbing euphoria in the victim. Highly addictive, it helps keep the victim from resisting the vampony's assault.
    -Vamponies can feed their blood to mortals to grant them a measure of their regenerative capabilities. In addition the unpleasant taste, some people might take issue with the whole process *cough cough Taylor cough* but as far as Miss M's seen, it carries no lasting side effects.
    -Vamponies turn mortals by draining them dry, and them performing some sort of ritual on the body. I believe it involves the vampony giving up a measure of their own blood, as well as a sliver of their soul. That's why vamponies with large numbers of "children" tend to be heartless monsters; their souls are so fragmented and shattered they haven't any empathy left. (This is also why Miss M has only had the one child, and is reluctant to take another.)
    Well, that addresses pretty much everything except the "running water" bit. I'll get to work on a character sheet shortly, then. This could be fun.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, that addresses pretty much everything except the "running water" bit. I'll get to work on a character sheet shortly, then. This could be fun.
    While you're here... *pokes towards Game o' Ponies*

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

I am somewhat both horrified and morbidly curious at the same time.

Also, Lycan, poke for Prose in Cut! as well, if you want him to interact with Tyrol or something. (Or someone else for that matter.)
    Oh gosh I'm sorry I forgot to respond to this.

I'm afraid I haven't been keeping up with the Cut thread, and don't really have the time or focus to do so now. Sorry. Thanks for the offer, though.
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2014-10-01 at 09:57 PM.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.