New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1522
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVII

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    A 486

I can't say I've looked at every possibility, but with a cursory glance at the X stat to Y bonus thread, I don't see anything that would. Your best bet would be using something to use Dexterity on your Strength checks, as bull rush uses opposing Strength checks to determine success. I can't think of anything that would do this off the top of my head, however. There's also a warblade ability that allows you to use your Intelligence modifier on bull rush checks.
    Hmm. I hadn't considered that, but my searching has turned up nothing, so I think my idea is officially dead in the water. The warblade was almost what I needed, but they get their INT to resist bullrush/trip, etc...., as oppose to applying it offensively.

Good thinking though. :D

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 523

Is there a non-epic feat that allows you to wield a two handed weapon in one hand?

Q 524

Are the "spells" of a spell-to-power Erudite considered powers or spells? In general, and also for the purpose of metamagic feats.

Q 525

Is there an officially published system for making casting PrCs based off manifesting?

Q 526

Reposting as it's been 24hrs since I posted it and got no answer.

Can a Trip/Disarm be combined with the Combat Rhythm maneuver from Stormguard Warrior?

If so, does these attacks count towards the number of touch attacks made (giving an extra 5 damage next round)?

Q 527

Do illusions like Minor Image create shadows? I'm not asking if they can create the illusion of shadows (which they clearly can), but if they create actual shadows like for a Shadowdancer to hide in or to rest from sun effects described in Sandstorm.
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-07-23 at 04:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Orc in the Playground

Q 528

I find the stat parameters and the descriptive text of the Forceward spell (most recent version is in Spell Compendium) to be a little confusing. Primarily because of the way these 4 aspects of the spell mesh together:

1. Range: 15'
    2. Effect: 15' Radius centered on you
    3. First Sentence Quote: "You create an unmoving, transparent sphere of force centered on you."
    4. Last Sentence Quote: "Forceward does not push a creature out of the way if you move toward an incorporeal creature or force effect ..."

So my question is ...... does this spell move with the caster ... or is it anchored in a permanent unmovable spot?

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 527 No.
    Figment

A figment spell creates a false sensation. Those who perceive the figment perceive the same thing, not their own slightly different versions of the figment. (It is not a personalized mental impression.)
    Because figments and glamers (see below) are unreal, they cannot produce real effects the way that other types of illusions can.
    Creating a shadow is real (actually blocking the sun's rays) and not a false sensation, so actual shadows are beyond the capabilities of such illusions. (As you've noted, the limitations of figments precludes having the illusory shadow being accurate from every viewpoint because each observer perceives the same thing.)

Also be aware that Shadowdancers have no need to Hide in shadows.

A 528

All other parts of the Forceward spell are internally consistent if the Range line is omitted, so that's the likely error.
    Range

A spell’s range indicates how far from you it can reach, as defined in the Range entry of the spell description. A spell’s range is the maximum distance from you that the spell’s effect can occur, as well as the maximum distance at which you can designate the spell’s point of origin.
    Errata Rule: Primary Sources

When you find a disagreement between two D&D® rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. One example of a primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a table entry. An individual spell description takes precedence when the short description in the beginning of the spells chapter disagrees.
    The spell header is not called out explicitly as a different source in this rule, but the spell description is stated to be primary; that description states that the sphere moves with you (as creatures automatically make their saving throws vs. the effect when you move the sphere into them).
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-07-23 at 08:47 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Titan in the Playground

Q 529

Are the javelins created by the Gloves of Endless Javelins (MIC) of the same size as the glove wearer, or do they default to medium? I ask because this obviously affects base damage.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 529
    Size And Magic Items

When an article of magic clothing or jewelry is discovered, most of the time size shouldn’t be an issue. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they adjust themselves magically to the wearer.
    Gloves of endless javelins allow you to rain death down on your enemies.
    For this statement to be correct, the javelins created have to be usable by you (the wearer). While there are rules for using melee weapons of inappropriate size (with corresponding penalties), there aren't equivalent rules for ranged weapons. Consequently, the javelins have to match the size of the wearer of the Gloves. The simplest way for the RAW to work here is if the Gloves adjust themselves to the wearer and then produce javelins of that size.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Ogre in the Playground

A 529 Addition

Also, note that the PHB p. 116 states that "A dart is the size of a large arrow and has a weighted head. Essentially, it is a small javelin.". The Oxford English Dictionary defines "Essentially" as an adverb "Used to emphasize the basic, fundamental, or intrinsic nature of a person or thing". Final word on whether this allows for the Gloves of Endless Javelin's to create Darts in the absence of rules for inappropriately sized ranged weapons obviously belongs to the DM.

Q 530

The Criminal Background feat from city of Stormreach adds the following use for the Sense Motive Skill:

In addition, when observing an individual, you can make a DC 15 Sense Motive check to ascertain any criminal motives.
    What constitutes a "criminal motive" in D&D terms, and how much information regarding this motive is gained when one "ascertain"s it?

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Orc in the Playground

Q 531

Are you able to polymorph into Aspect of Bahamut/Tiamat since they're Dragon (Extraplanar)?
    They're from Miniatures Handbook

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Ettin in the Playground

A 531

Yes, as long as you have 12 HD and CL 12. Polymorph has no restrictions on subtype and dragon is one of the allowed types to change into. There has been some debate whether polymorph inherits the "within one size category of your normal form" from Alter Self. So your DM might require you to be large, huge or gargantuan.

BTW they have been updated in Dragon Magic.

Q 532

Is there a way to perform a coup de grace with a ranged weapon without being adjacent to the target?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-07-26 at 12:43 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q533: I'm looking for a spell but drawing a blank on the name. The spell is essentially a more powerful version of the cantrip Message, it allows you to send a message to a specific person over a long distance. I know about Whispering Wind, that's not it; that spell sends the message to an area rather than a specific person. Does the spell I'm looking for exist?
    Last edited by Mongrel; 2014-07-26 at 12:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Ettin in the Playground

A 533

Perhaps Sending?

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 533

Perhaps Sending?
    Ah that's it! Thanks! =D

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q534

I've heard someone suggest that if a template has no listed LA (not LA- but nothing listed) to use CR as LA? Is that correct?

Specifically trying to figure out how to adjust a ECL of a drow fighter given the drider template.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    Q534

I've heard someone suggest that if a template has no listed LA (not LA- but nothing listed) to use CR as LA? Is that correct?
    A 534
    That is not correct (it may be a fair guideline for a houserule, but it has no rules support). Level adjustment and challenge rating are separate entities.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Orc in the Playground

Q 535

The Nightmare Terrain spell (Complete Mage pg. 111) has descriptive text which is a bit confusing. I was hoping you could clarify it for me. And to note, I checked Complete Mage's Errata PDF - there's no errata for this spell.

" ... Creatures within, entering, or viewing the area are entitled to Will saves to discern the illusion. Creatures that fail their saves become entangled. ..."

This line of text leads me to believe that creatures viewing the AoE (which are a bunch of cubes) from afar ... can actually get entangled by just *viewing* the Nightmare Terrain and failing their save. That doesn't make any sense. Whereas as having to roll a save because you are within or entering the AoE cubes makes total sense.

If the 'faraway-viewer-having-to-roll-a-save" mechanic is indeed valid, this massively expands the potential AoE for the spell.

Thoughts?

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 535

It works that way by RAW. Note however, that the spell has "close" range, and anyone outside this range can't be affected. From the SRD:

"A spell’s range indicates how far from you it can reach, as defined in the Range entry of the spell description. A spell’s range is the maximum distance from you that the spell’s effect can occur, as well as the maximum distance at which you can designate the spell’s point of origin. If any portion of the spell’s area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted . "

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 535

The area of effect of Nightmare Terrain is constrained in two ways:
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Area: Five 10-ft. cubes + one 10-ft. cube/level (S)
    The basic rules for spells include the following:
    Range

A spell’s range indicates how far from you it can reach, as defined in the Range entry of the spell description. A spell’s range is the maximum distance from you that the spell’s effect can occur, as well as the maximum distance at which you can designate the spell’s point of origin. If any portion of the spell’s area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted.
    Area

Some spells affect an area. Sometimes a spell description specifies a specially defined area, but usually an area falls into one of the categories defined below.

Regardless of the shape of the area, you select the point where the spell originates, but otherwise you don’t control which creatures or objects the spell affects. The point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection. When determining whether a given creature is within the area of a spell, count out the distance from the point of origin in squares just as you do when moving a character or when determining the range for a ranged attack. The only difference is that instead of counting from the center of one square to the center of the next, you count from intersection to intersection.
    (S) Shapeable
    If an Area or Effect entry ends with "(S)," you can shape the spell. A shaped effect or area can have no dimension smaller than 10 feet. Many effects or areas are given as cubes to make it easy to model irregular shapes. Three-dimensional volumes are most often needed to define aerial or underwater effects and areas.
    Regardless of what the spell description states it cannot function outside the areas it is allowed to effect. Accordingly, creatures failing their Will saves can only be entangled if they are both inside the spell's range and within one of the cubes. (The range limit could result in partial cubes if the spellcaster arranged them in a dispersed fashion.)

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Ettin in the Playground

Q536
    Does a Torc of Power Preservation apply before or after the "you can’t spend more power points on a power than your manifester level" rule?

Example: Could a whatever 18/War Mind 2 with such a torc augment expansion by 2 points to make it last 10 minutes per level ?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2014-07-26 at 11:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A536

Before. The language in the SRD is that you pay a reduced cost in power points, as such, you don't spend them.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD:Torc of Power Preservation
    The wearer of a torc of power preservation manifests all powers by paying power points equal to the standard cost minus 1 (minimum of 1).

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Titan in the Playground

Q 537

If I have levels in two different martial adept classes and I take Martial Study, do I add the maneuver to both classes' maneuvers known? Can I ready it for both classes at once? What if I only meet the initiator level prerequisite for one class?

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 537

From page 38 of Tome of Battle:
    If you are a martial adept and you have the Martial Study feat, you do not gain any bonus to your ability to ready maneuvers—the maneuver you learned with the feat is just one more maneuver known from which you can select your readied maneuvers.
    If you are capable of adding the maneuver from Martial Study to those available for any martial adept class, you can do so using the normal mechanism. If you are not capable (because your IL is insufficient, for instance) you cannot ready the maneuver for that class.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 538

What kind of resurrection is Miracle capable of when it says "Swinging the tide of a battle in your favor by raising fallen allies to continue fighting."?

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Orc in the Playground

A 538

True Ressurection

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 538 - Cont

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    A 538

True Ressurection
    If you don't mind me asking: Why?

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 538 [correction]
    Swinging the tide of a battle in your favor by raising fallen allies to continue fighting.
    Miracle can ordinarily duplicate any single Clerical spell of 8th level or lower, or accomplish more with a very powerful request; however, True Resurrection is 9th level, so many instances of that spell (multiple fallen allies) is out of line with the power of a single Miracle. Instead, you follow the text of the spell, which uses the specific term raising. Accordingly, that would be a mass casting of Raise Dead.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Troll in the Playground

Q 539: Can you apply Keen to a Holy Avenger?

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Ettin in the Playground

A 539

Maybe, the availability of custom magic items are the purview of the DM. Additionally there is not even a proper guideline for the pricing of such an item, because of the varying behavior of the weapon depending on its wielder-
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-07-27 at 03:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Titan in the Playground

A 539

Tangent - you might be better off with a Scabbard of Keen Edges.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q540

An Ice Assassin cannot improve its abilities. Can it gain XP to use in casting and/or crafting? If not, is there a way for it to cast spells that require an XP component?
    I write professionally. My books are on Amazon and I have a Patreon where I give away everything I write while it's in progress.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 538 [correction] Miracle can ordinarily duplicate any single Clerical spell of 8th level or lower, or accomplish more with a very powerful request; however, True Resurrection is 9th level, so many instances of that spell (multiple fallen allies) is out of line with the power of a single Miracle. Instead, you follow the text of the spell, which uses the specific term raising. Accordingly, that would be a mass casting of Raise Dead.
    A 538 [correction]
    it could also be Revivify if they died within 1 round, so you could raise them without level loss
    Last edited by Wacky89; 2014-07-28 at 02:09 AM.