New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVII

Q54
    If you are prone and have a BAB of anywhere between 6 and 9, are you able to make a second (iterative) melee attack?
    Does the -4 penalty for attacking from prone reduce your BAB in a way that you are unable to make the second attack? or does it just give you a BAB of -3 (at level 6) for the second attack?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q55

Is the following correct by RAW?: Tie a Medium dagger to a 20' rope. I now have an improvised weapon that deals 1d4, takes a -4 attack bonus, I am nonproficient with it, and it can be used to attack anyone within 20' (because I can "choke up" on the rope to attack closer targets)

If it's not correct, what is the correct version?
    I write professionally. My books are on Amazon and I have a Patreon where I give away everything I write while it's in progress.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

A 54:

Your BAB does not change, and is a single number. Many other modifiers can affect your attack bonus, up or down, but your BAB is unchanged. If you're a level 6 fighter with a 10 strength and nonmagical weapon, and no other modifiers, and you're prone, then your base attack bonus is +6, your total attack bonus on your first attack is +2, and you can make a second attack in a full attack with a total attack modifier of -3.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 050a No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Control Water
    Raise Water
    This causes water or similar liquid to rise in height
    All you can accomplish with a single drop of water is to raise a column of water of the same width as the starting drop; the spell does not cause any horizontal increase in the amount of surface covered by water beyond what was there at the time of casting.

A 050b No.

You'll raise the water, but won't imbue it with any additional positive energy. The total positive energy effect of the entire body of water will be the same as that of the starting volume. You'd need to ask your DM if the result is too dilute to have any effect (e.g., if an Undead immersed in it would take any damage at all).

A 051a Yes.

The usual rules apply. You'll note the Tiger Claw Leaping Dragon Stance is designed specifically to address this.

A 051b Not necessarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumble
    Accelerated Tumbling
    You try to tumble past or through enemies more quickly than normal. By accepting a -10 penalty on your Tumble checks, you can move at your full speed instead of one-half your speed.
    A 052 No.

Spells only do what they say they do. Wall of Fire only affects creatures.

A 053 Simply vanish.
    Evocation
    Evocation spells manipulate energy or tap an unseen source of power to produce a desired end. In effect, they create something out of nothing.
    Wall of Ice is an Evocation spell. At the end of the duration there is nothing remaining.

A 054 Yes.

You appear to be confusing BAB (Base Attack Bonus) and AB (Attack Bonus). Only your BAB determines how many attacks you make on a full attack, and this number only changes when you advance a level. Your AB is the combination of BAB, ability modifier (STR or DEX), and any attack modifiers such as the -4 penalty for making a melee attack while prone.

A 055 No.
    Improvised Weapons

Sometimes objects not crafted to be weapons nonetheless see use in combat. Because such objects are not designed for this use, any creature that uses one in combat is considered to be nonproficient with it and takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls made with that object. To determine the size category and appropriate damage for an improvised weapon, compare its relative size and damage potential to the weapon list to find a reasonable match. An improvised weapon scores a threat on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. An improvised thrown weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.
    The above citation is the actuality. A rope + dagger is an improvised weapon. You do not retain the dagger's damage here; instead, your DM will determine all parameters. This could include a result of this being a Gargantuan size category weapon which a Medium creature would not be able to use for any combat purpose.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-05-20 at 10:26 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Thanks, Curmudgeon.

Q56

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Lava or magma deals 2d6 points of damage per round of exposure, except in the case of total immersion [...] which deals 20d6 points of damage per round.
    Wall of Magma is a Conjuration effect, meaning that it is actually creating real magma. The spell states that it does 5d6 damage to creatures passing through it (plus a level-dependent bonus, but that's not relevant for this question), but does not say anything about creatures immersed in it. I can see three options: It does the normal 20d6 (spell doesn't address the case, so it defaults to normal rules), or 5d6 (creature is still considered "passing through" it), or 0 damage (spell text does not mention damage for this case so it does none). What is the correct answer?

EDIT:
    Q57

Decanter of Endless Water "produces a 20-foot-long, 1-foot-wide stream". Is there explicit RAW about what happens if you activate a DEW when there is not sufficient space for the jet to form? If I put it 1' from a wall and activate it, common sense would say that it hits the wall and splashes. By RAW, though, it seems to push the barrier out of the way so that it can reach its full length. That's crazy, but I don't know any specific RAW that countermands it. Is there?
    Last edited by Eaglejarl; 2014-05-20 at 10:35 AM.
    I write professionally. My books are on Amazon and I have a Patreon where I give away everything I write while it's in progress.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

A 56 partial:

A wall of magma isn't very thick: Even at caster level 20, it's only 5 inches thick. This means that, under ordinary circumstances, most creatures can't be completely immersed in it, so the question is mostly irrelevant. Though I realize that this doesn't help for extremely small creatures, or extremely high caster levels.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q58: What steps must be taken for a creature to become a deity?
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    A 56 partial:

A wall of magma isn't very thick: Even at caster level 20, it's only 5 inches thick. This means that, under ordinary circumstances, most creatures can't be completely immersed in it, so the question is mostly irrelevant. Though I realize that this doesn't help for extremely small creatures, or extremely high caster levels.
    Q56, continued
    True, but it's possible to get it deeper with enough effort. For example, cast it on a stone bridge over a funnel-shaped pit. Blow up the bridge; the Wall falls down into the pit and pools at the (narrower) bottom. Alternatively, use Permancey on the wall, then cool it down so that it 'freezes' into rock. Break the rock off (which the spell explicitly says you can), throw it in a hole. 10 minutes later, the rock reverts back to its molten form and you have a pit filled with magma.

EDIT: The simplest way to convert a Wall of Magma into a pool of magma that you can immerse someone in: fold it back and forth on itself like an accordion. The spell description states that it can be shaped into sheets and curves, and that it doesn't have to be vertical. The only restrictions on how it is formed are: can't form domes, can't form unsupported horizontal surfaces >5' across, and cannot make complex forms such as crenelations. A 20th level caster gets 20 segments, each 5'x5' and 5" thick. Put one square down horizontally and fold the others back and forth on top of it; you end up with a block of magma 5' x 5' x ~8' high, which is plenty big enough to immerse someone.
    Last edited by Eaglejarl; 2014-05-20 at 05:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 050a No. All you can accomplish with a single drop of water is to raise a column of water of the same width as the starting drop; the spell does not cause any horizontal increase in the amount of surface covered by water beyond what was there at the time of casting.
    But the spell description says, "If the area affected by the spell includes riverbanks, a beach, or other land nearby, the water can spill over onto dry land." That seems to directly contradict your assertion that it does not cause any horizontal increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Q 59

While Slowed, do you still get a swift action?
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q60

How does one recover from the Gray Wasting Disease?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Q58: What steps must be taken for a creature to become a deity?
    A 58 There is no officially outlined way of achieving this. It is highly setting-dependent, and as such is completely under the control of the DM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q 61

Assume a creature with 4 natural tentacle attacks with 10ft reach each. Can this creature

Q 61a trip viable opponents with said tentacle attack?
    Q 61b attempt a trip with each tentacle attack on a full round attack?
    Q 61c Choose to use its remaining attacks on a full round attack to attack the opponent it just tripped?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

Question Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVII

Q62: Is there a Weapon Enhancement (or the like) that lets a composite bow adapt itself to the user's Str mod?
    Last edited by Dr. Azkur; 2014-05-21 at 12:44 AM.
    I may or may not go by 'Doc'.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    All liches have phylacteries, but not all phylacteries have liches.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

A 59

No. The description of Swift actions says that you may use one per turn, but the description of the Slow spell says that you may only use a standard or move action on your turn. That is more specific than the description of Swift actions, so it takes priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 61 Yes to all.

A 59 dispute

Slow as a spell predates the existence of Swift actions so its lack of reference to them does not dictate that they cannot be performed (otherwise the PHB's lack of reference to them would do the same on normal un-slowed turns).

I don't have a Rules Compendium which is about the only source that will rule on this, but I think it isn't officially defined.

My take is that since Swift Actions are an out-growth of Free Actions the answer is Yes.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 63

the flurry of blows ability says "A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows"

the pounce ability says "When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack—including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability"

i think they don't work together- full attack and full attack action are not the same. My friend thinks both means the same.
    is there a clear answer?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

A 59

Flame of Anor is right. The Slow spell only allows the target to take a Move or a Standard Action. It thus removes the ability to take any other Action. So not only can you not take Swift Actions which did not exist when Slow was first printed, but you cannot take Free Actions (which did exist in the PHB) either.

Q 64

Is there a rule or guideline which kinds of custom magic items should inflict negative levels on unsuitable users? Are there guidelines for the cost of such an ability?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 059
    A slowed creature can take only a single move action or standard action each turn, but not both (nor may it take full-round actions).
    You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally.
    You can take a swift action any time you would normally be allowed to take a free action.
    Because free actions are exercised while performing another action, and either a move or standard action is allowed by Slow, both free and swift actions may be performed, but only in conjunction with the specified single move or standard action.

A 062 No.

There are specific magic items with this property: Hank's Energy Bow and Bow of the Wintermoon (Magic Item Compendium, page 48), but no weapon enhancement which can add such a property.

A 063 You're correct.

Full attack action is required for flurry of blows. A Charge uses up a full round, and pounce lets a Charge include a full attack, but it's a different action than that required for the Monk class feature.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: A 059 Because free actions are exercised while performing another action, and either a move or standard action is allowed by Slow, both free and swift actions may be performed, but only in conjunction with the specified single move or standard action.
    How are you still taking actions normally, if you are reduced to taking only a move or a standard action? Being slowed obviously is not normal.

Additionally a Free Action is not a Move or a Free Action. By telling us that under the effect of the Slow spell the target is only allowed to take one of these two kinds of actions, it means that he is not allowed to take any other kind of action. To still allow Free Actions and other types of actions the rules would have to say something like: "A slowed creature replaces the Move and Standard action it gets each round with a single Move or Standard Action."

A 063 You're correct.

Full attack action is required for flurry of blows. A Charge uses up a full round action, and pounce lets a Charge include a full attack, but it's a different action than that required for the Monk class feature.
    I fixed that for you. A Full round would take from just before the charger's turn in one round one till just before the charger's turn in the next round.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-05-21 at 10:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    How are you still taking actions normally, if you are reduced to taking only a move or a standard action? Being slowed obviously is not normal.
    No, but the move or standard actions are still executed normally. That is, while Slow limits the actions available in a round, it does not impose any limitations on how those actions are performed. The applicability of free actions is while other actions are being performed normally, not just in rounds which have the normal complement of actions. You can also perform free actions normally in a surprise round, despite that round being short of the normal allotment of actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar
    I fixed that for you.
    Thank you. That is what I had intended to write.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

You can also perform free actions normally in a surprise round, despite that round being short of the normal allotment of actions.
    The problem is under the effect of a slow spell you are not short of a move/standard action, you are not allowed to perform any action except a move or a standard action. While you are generally allowed to perform Free Actions alongside other actions, the Slow spell only allows you to perform a Move or a Standard Action. A Free Action is neither a Move nor a Standard Action, so it and any other actions besides the aforementioned two are disallowed while under the effect of a Slow spell.

The surprise round is worded differently (lacking the word only) and even explicitly allows Free Actions:
    In initiative order (highest to lowest), combatants who started the battle aware of their opponents each take a standard action during the surprise round. You can also take free actions during the surprise round.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-05-21 at 11:48 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q65
    The lich template turns a humanoid's tye into Undead with the Augmented Humanoid subtype, as it does not specify otherwise (as is the case with the zombie)
    Thus the Demilich template (which changes nothing of the lich's types and subtypes) keeps the Augmented Humanoid subtype in place.
    Is this reasoning correct?
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

A 65

Yes.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Q66

Dwarven Buckler Axe (Races of Stone) says:

"At first glance, a dwarven buckler-axe appears similar to a standard buckler, but this weapon has enlarged bladelike edges at its top and bottom, allowing the wielder to swing it like an axe. Thus, in addition to its obvious protective qualities, it proves a capable off-hand weapon or emergency weapon when disarmed.

A dwarven buckler-axe grants its wielder a +1 shield bonus to Armor Class. As with any shield, when you attack with a dwarven buckler-axe, you do not get the shield bonus to your AC."

Tordek is wielding a dwarven waraxe in his primary hand, a shortsword in his offhand, and is wearing a dwarven buckler-axe (on the same arm as the shortsword) for the +1 shield bonus.

A) If Tordek is not attacking with the *buckler axe*, but is attacking with both the waraxe and shortsword, does he retain the +1 shield bonus? (The shield bash rules say you only lose your shield bonus when using the shield as a weapon.)

B) Normal bucklers incur a -1 attack penalty for using your shield arm to wield a weapon (either as an offhand weapon or a two-handed weapon). Does a dwarven buckler axe incur the same penalty?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

A66 a
    You do not keep the AC bonus. The Buckler Axe acts as a buckler and with regards to bucklers
    ... In any case, if you use a weapon in your off hand, you don’t get the buckler’s AC bonus for the rest of the round.
    b
    Yes. The Buckler Axe makes no exception for attacks with it
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2014-05-21 at 01:53 PM.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    A66 a
    You do not keep the AC bonus. The Buckler Axe acts as a buckler and with regards to bucklers
    Where do the rules state this? The buckler-axe "appears similar to a standard buckler", but at no point do the rules state "use the buckler rules". Also, if you insist on using the buckler rules, then you can't attack with a buckler-axe because you can't make shield bashes with a buckler.

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    b
    Yes. The Buckler Axe makes no exception for attacks with it
    Why would a weapon that states it is a "capable offhand weapon" not mention that you automatically get a -1 attack penalty whenever you use it as a weapon?

The buckler-axe makes no exception for itself because it never stated that it had to use the buckler rules.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    The buckler-axe makes no exception for itself because it never stated that it had to use the buckler rules.
    Fair enough. Then you cannot hold a weapon in the same hand as the buckler axe in that case.

If it behaves like a buckler, you take the penalties to attack and lose the ac bonus if you attack with a weapon held that hand.
    If it does not behave like a buckler, you do not get to hold a weapon in that hand.
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2014-05-21 at 02:11 PM.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 67
    According to the rules for Animal Companions
    From SRD

Bonus HD:
    Extra eight-sided (d8) Hit Dice, each of which gains a Consitution modifier, as normal.
    What exactly does this mean? Do you add +1 to the animal's Con ability score for each hit die gained per the accompanying chart? OR because it refers to "Constitution modifier", do you actually add +2 to the animal's Con ability score for each hit die gained? Or does it mean some other thing I can't even fathom?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

A 67

Not sure what accompanying chart you mean. The animal gains extra hit points equal to its total CON modifier for each HD it possesses. For example a Wolf companion (CON 15, +2 modifier) of a 3rd level druid has 21+22 HD and thus has 2d8+2*23 + 2d8+2*23 hit points.

1 normal for a wolf
    2 Bonus HD for being a 3rd level druid
    3 For CON 15
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-05-21 at 03:47 PM.