New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVII

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 67

Not sure what accompanying chart you mean. The animal gains extra hit points equal to its total CON modifier for each HD it possesses. For example a Wolf companion (CON 15, +2 modifier) of a 3rd level druid has 21+22 HD and thus has 2d8+2*23 + 2d8+2*23 hit points.

1 normal for a wolf
    2 Bonus HD for being a 3rd level druid
    3 For CON 15
    That was a complicated explanation.... though it did make me realize I was TOTALLY misunderstanding what the text was saying.
    I had been thrown off by the "gains a constitution modifier." part of the text. I was trying to figure out how you add to the modifier itself (facepalm). What they meant was simply add a con modifier's value of hit points on to each hit die the companion gains... I'm an idiot.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q 68

What are the rules for fitting through holes? I've had trouble finding anything on the matter on the SRD.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

A 68

Here you go:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Squeezing
    Squeezing

In some cases, you may have to squeeze into or through an area that isn’t as wide as the space you take up. You can squeeze through or into a space that is at least half as wide as your normal space. Each move into or through a narrow space counts as if it were 2 squares, and while squeezed in a narrow space you take a -4 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty to AC.

When a Large creature (which normally takes up four squares) squeezes into a space that’s one square wide, the creature’s miniature figure occupies two squares, centered on the line between the two squares. For a bigger creature, center the creature likewise in the area it squeezes into.

A creature can squeeze past an opponent while moving but it can’t end its movement in an occupied square.

To squeeze through or into a space less than half your space’s width, you must use the Escape Artist skill. You can’t attack while using Escape Artist to squeeze through or into a narrow space, you take a -4 penalty to AC, and you lose any Dexterity bonus to AC.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Escape Artist
    Tight Space

The DC noted on the table(30) is for getting through a space where your head fits but your shoulders don’t. If the space is long you may need to make multiple checks. You can’t get through a space that your head does not fit through.

4. - Top - End - #124

Imp

Q 69

On behalf of creatures with multiple natural attacks grappling:

69a Can a creature with multiple natural attacks start a grapple on each natural attack in a full round attack until one succeeds?

69b If one succeeds, can the (not yet rolled) attacks each be used to "attack with a natural weapon" during grappling?

69c Can the remaining attacks (or attacks during grappling in general) be used to trip the grappled opponent? What about Disarm?

69d Would a tripped opponent (either by the grappler himself or an ally that trips him from outside the grapple or before the grapple) take a -4 to his grapple checks?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Q70

What's the best magic item for a single-use spell over 3rd level that is useable by all required classes? Basically, a scroll that doesn't require UMD.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Q70

What's the best magic item for a single-use spell over 3rd level that is useable by all required classes? Basically, a scroll that doesn't require UMD.
    A70 I think...
    Best? You mean cheapest single-use spell delivery form?
    The no UMD requirement limits us to wondrous items
    single use-use activated ones (Spell level × caster level × 50 gp)
    But as wondrous items are DM regulated...

Matters such as "Best" "Most Optimal" "Prettiest" etc are outside the purview of RAW

But actually the cheapest way to get a single use of a single spell without a UMD check is to get an NPC wizard to cast it (Spell level x caster level x 10gp)
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2014-05-21 at 10:21 PM.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    A70 I think...
    Best? You mean cheapest single-use spell delivery form?
    The no UMD requirement limits us to wondrous items
    single use-use activated ones (Spell level × caster level × 50 gp)
    But as wondrous items are DM regulated...

Matters such as "Best" "Most Optimal" "Prettiest" etc are outside the purview of RAW
    Q70 Clarification

I was mostly wondering if there was a RAW way, outside of "custom magic item", to have something that functions like a scroll but doesn't require a spellcasting class or UMD or other complicated activation.

Edit: To clarify, I need an item, not a caster.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2014-05-21 at 10:23 PM.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Q70 Clarification

I was mostly wondering if there was a RAW way, outside of "custom magic item", to have something that functions like a scroll but doesn't require a spellcasting class or UMD or other complicated activation.

Edit: To clarify, I need an item, not a caster.
    A70
    Above third: No
    single-use no-umd items are for the most part capped at 3rd level.
    If there was a particular spell you are looking for, there might be an item that produces its effect.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 71 The DMG lists limits on visibility range that are dependent on local terrain. Does RAW specify if these limits represent the visual limitations of creatures themselves (as in the case of being on an open plain or the top of a hill/mountain on a clear day) or as an estimate on approximately how far a creature could see before an ambient terrain feature would break line of sight? (as is likely the case in dense forest where all the trees in all directions eventually form a visual wall)

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

A69

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    69a Can a creature with multiple natural attacks start a grapple on each natural attack in a full round attack until one succeeds?
    If the creature has Improved Grab, this is simple: "Yes".

If the creature does NOT have Improved Grab, then this is considerably more difficult to answer. PHB p. 155 says:

"For monsters, grappling can mean trapping you in a toothy maw (the purple worm’s favorite tactic) or holding you down so it can claw you to pieces (the dire lion’s trick)."

On the next page, the PHB discusses what happens when you have multiple attacks:

"To start a grapple, you need to grab and hold your target. Starting a grapple requires a successful melee attack roll. If you get multiple attacks, you can attempt to start a grapple multiple times (at successively lower base attack bonuses)."

The Rules Compendium words things a little differently:

"If you can make multiple attacks due to a high base attack bonus, you can attempt to start a grapple multiple times by making a full attack."

Based on this, I have to conclude that a creature with a high BAB + multiple natural weapons but no Improved Grab can only attempt to start a grapple once. So that would be a "No".

69b If one succeeds, can the (not yet rolled) attacks each be used to "attack with a natural weapon" during grappling?
    From the Rules Compendium:

"If you succeed in starting the grapple and have remaining attacks, you can use those attacks to perform other maneuvers allowed in a grapple (see Grappling Results)."

Thus, if the creature has iterative attacks remaining, "Yes".

If the creature has no iterative attacks, "No".

69c Can the remaining attacks (or attacks during grappling in general) be used to trip the grappled opponent? What about Disarm?
    Based on the wording in the Rules Compendium, this is a "Yes" if you have iterative attacks remaining.

If you are a creature armed only with natural weapons, you may attempt one trip or disarm under "Attacking Your Opponent" on your next turn after the grapple has started, but you do not get multiple attempts for having additional natural weapons.

69d Would a tripped opponent (either by the grappler himself or an ally that trips him from outside the grapple or before the grapple) take a -4 to his grapple checks?
    No. The -4 attack penalty only applies to melee attack rolls. A Grapple check "is like a melee attack roll", but only three things are used to calculate it: BAB + Str modifier + size modifier.

11. - Top - End - #131

Imp

Q 72

What can a psycrystal actually see with his "sighted" ability.

Does hide work? Any negatives?
    Does it still abide to LoS, like walls?
    Any other things I should keep in mind as a gm?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

A 72:

Except as stated otherwise in the ability (ignoring darkness and magical silence, limited range) a psicrystal's senses work like normal vision and hearing. Thus, it would make a Spot check to determine whether it sees a hiding creature, a Listen check to determine whether it hears a creature, and it cannot see through walls.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 73

Scenario: I am an artificer, with 3 wands of Sonic Snap, and a Rod of Many wands.
    A: Can I burn 2 charges to apply fell drain feat, and inflict 3 negative levels per round?
    B: How much charges WOULD be used? (Assuming A works)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Q 74 Is the strength damage from Ray of Enfeeblement doubled on a critical hit?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2014-05-22 at 02:00 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Q 74 Is the strength damage from Ray of Enfeeblement doubled on a critical hit?
    A 74
    Yes. But...
    If an attack that causes ability damage scores a critical hit, it deals twice the indicated amount of damage (if the damage is expressed as a die range, roll two dice)

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

A 74

No. There is no strength damage from Ray of Enfeeblement.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The subject takes a penalty to Strength equal to 1d6+1 per two caster levels (maximum 1d6+5).
    Since the attack does not deal ability damage, a critical hit does not modify the effect of the spell on the subject.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-05-22 at 03:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

My mistake 74. I believe above answer is right instead of mine.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q75

Would the Dragonshards of Eberron qualify as Magic Items, Special Materials, or Alchemical Items?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Q76

If you are holding a touch spell, let's say chill touch, can you TWF the touch attacks and your unarmed attack?
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

20. - Top - End - #140

Q78 Are Mephits subject to the hazards of starvation, thirst, and exposure to desert conditions? Particularly Mirror Mephit (EttDP208).
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2014-05-23 at 12:32 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

A78

Mephits are native to the elemental planes of existence, where there is likely no food or water of note (though there may be elemental versions of plants and animals). As outsiders, though, they neither require food or sleep, though they must breathe. Water requirement seems to be rolled in with food requirement in the Monster Manual glossary.

A DM would be well within bounds to make water mephits or ice mephits more susceptible to the heat, and I believe any that have the cold subtype are affected more by the nonlethal heat damage. But a mirror mephit shouldn't be any more or less susceptible than any other outsider.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Q79. Do Fire spells work underwater?

Example casting Mass fireshield while underwater, would it work or not be effective and canceled out due to being underwater?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 059
    The problem is under the effect of a slow spell you are not short of a move/standard action, you are not allowed to perform any action except a move or a standard action.
    A slowed creature can take only a single move action or standard action each turn, but not both (nor may it take full-round actions).
    The spell explicitly excludes full-round actions. Beyond that, the meaning is dependent on the definition of only used: either "no more than" (my choice) or "without others or anything further" (your choice). The guiding principle of interpreting spells is that they do only what they state, and nothing more. Slow makes no statements regarding all actions. Consequently, I believe the interpretation of "no more than 1 of either standard or move actions (with no impact on unspecified actions)" to be consistent with best practices in adjudicating the effect of this low-level spell. It seems unreasonable to me that Slow would prevent speaking (a free action), yet still allow casting a standard action spell with verbal components.

A 071

The DMG lists no changes to your visual acuity in the various terrains; only the range at which you can perceive things changes. By process of elimination, the maximum sight range is due to the features of the terrain rather than the characteristics of the viewer.

A 076 No.
    Two-Weapon Fighting

If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon.
    While you are considered armed while your body is charged with a touch attack spell, you are not actually wielding any weapons. Accordingly, you do not qualify for TWF.

A 079 Only with a successful Spellcraft check.
    Fire

Nonmagical fire (including alchemist’s fire) does not burn underwater. Spells or spell-like effects with the fire descriptor are ineffective underwater unless the caster makes a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + spell level). If the check succeeds, the spell creates a bubble of steam instead of its usual fiery effect, but otherwise the spell works as described. A supernatural fire effect is ineffective underwater unless its description states otherwise. The surface of a body of water blocks line of effect for any fire spell. If the caster has made a Spellcraft check to make the fire spell usable underwater, the surface still blocks the spell’s line of effect.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Re: A 059 The spell explicitly excludes full-round actions. Beyond that, the meaning is dependent on the definition of only used: either "no more than" (my choice) or "without others or anything further" (your choice).
    That is the same. If you replace the only in the rule you get:"A slowed creature can take no more than a single move action or standard action each turn." If you add a Free action to the single move/standard action, you are doing more than the single move/standard action. The general rule is that you get a move action a standard action and an unspecified number of free actions each turn. The Slow spell reduces this to a single move or standard action. The point is that the slow spell does not remove certain actions (which would leave the free action intact) but it tells us which action the creature is allowed to take. So no free actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    The guiding principle of interpreting spells is that they do only what they state, and nothing more. Slow makes no statements regarding all actions. Consequently, I believe the interpretation of "no more than 1 of either standard or move actions (with no impact on unspecified actions)" to be consistent with best practices in adjudicating the effect of this low-level spell. It seems unreasonable to me that Slow would prevent speaking (a free action), yet still allow casting a standard action spell with verbal components.
    This is most likely RAI and does not create further inconsistencies, but I don't see it represented in the RAW.

25. - Top - End - #145

Q80

Can True Creation and his buddies be used to make thermal variants of a given item/substance?

Frozen water instead of liquid water?
    Steam instead of liquid water?

Could it be used to make molten lead instead of room temperature lead?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 059
    That is the same. If you replace the only in the rule you get:"A slowed creature can take no more than a single move action or standard action each turn." If you add a Free action to the single move/standard action, you are doing more than the single move/standard action.
    I disagree; it's not the same. You're reading this as "not more than" instead of "no more than". "Not more" would exclude other actions, while "no more" simply limits the count of the specified terms (no more than 1 move action vs. the 2 normally allowed in a round).

A 080 No.

The effect of True Creation is an unattended object, which means it will be at ambient temperature absent some notice to the contrary. True Creation doesn't specify any extra capability in this regard, so you can only create ice if the temperature at the site of casting is below freezing, or steam if the temperature there is above boiling.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 81 Are Yellow, Orange and Purple dragons true dragons or does Races of the Dragon overwrite them?

28. - Top - End - #148

Q82: if a creature has shield other cast upon it and damage reduction, does the damage taken by both the caster go through the targets dr first? Eg, if Fred has dr10 and Bob casts shield other on Fred, then Fred takes 12 damage, 2 after dr. How much damage does Bob take, 1, or 6?
    Last edited by Niwrad; 2014-05-23 at 10:20 AM.
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 082

Half the damage of the attack is transferred via Shield Other, so DR applies only on the original attack's target. Because DR provides no reduction to damage from spells, the caster of Shield Other takes the other half of the damage without their own damage reduction (if any) having any effect.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

Q83: Is there a way to obtain more feats other than being a/multiclassing as a fighter?