New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVII

Q127: How does Detect Magic interact with invisible people/objects? Can you detect the invisibility spell? If so, can you pinpoint the location of an invisible thing by concentrating for three rounds? If so, does it need to remain stationary for you to be able to do that?

For example, there's an invisible chest and an invisible rogue in the room the party's in. Nothing else in the room is magical. The party's spellcaster casts detect magic. Do the auras for the invisibility spells register? The caster then concentrates a full three rounds, but during those rounds the rogue moves from one end of the room to another. Is the caster able to detect exactly where the rogue is at the end of the third round? What about the chest?

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q128: Monster advancing by Hit Die, If I am advancing a magical beast like an hydra and its Hit Die total becomes 45 (Kaiju Template). Does the creature BaB caps at one point or it advances for each Hit Die it now has? Since its a magical beast, is its BaB now 45? Thanks!
    Last edited by pilvento; 2014-05-28 at 03:13 PM.
    english not base lenguage, sry for the grammar, thanks.

Kael Proudmoure, Swifblade (avatar by Loki Eremes)
    Unlimited arcane technique: Spell, Sword, and Fist.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 127

Yes, you can detect all magical auras in a cone with Detect Magic, but if an aura source has been moving in the last few rounds you'll get a confusingly high count of aura hits because there will be dim auras in all the squares either the Rogue or chest has been in during the last 1d6 rounds. In the 3rd round you'll only get a higher-strength "faint" aura location when a low-level spell has been present for all 3 rounds of your concentration. That means you'll likely pick up the location of the faint Illusion school aura in the chest's location, but nothing higher than dim in the Rogue's location unless they haven't moved in 3+ rounds. If the Rogue moves to a different location, the "presence" you detect in the first round of concentration is no longer valid and the study of the auras in the area must start anew.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

A 128: BAB due to racial hit dice continues indefinitely. It's only class levels which are subject to the epic attack bonus rules. Thus, a 45 HD hydra would in fact have a BAB of +45.

Note that, on a creature which can make iterative attacks, you still only get a maximum of four iterative attacks, no matter how high your BAB is.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 129 What happens if a creature is bullrushed into a space occupied by another creature?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 129 It can't happen.
    Ending Your Movement
    You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.
    Accidentally Ending Movement in an Illegal Space
    Sometimes a character ends its movement while moving through a space where it’s not allowed to stop. When that happens, put your miniature in the last legal position you occupied, or the closest legal position, if there’s a legal position that’s closer.
    Because ending the Bull Rush in an occupied space is illegal, the movement actually stops in the last position which is legal. The character doing the rushing stops in the space before that.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 130
    Can you cast an immediate action in the middle of casting a 1 round spell?
    Ex. I begin casting Summon Monster, later in the round, but before its my turn I cast Close Wounds (immediate action spell).
    Is that allowed? I would argue no because

"you must continue the concentration from the current round to just before your turn in the next round"

but I want to be sure.
    (Currently afk halfway across the country.)

Attempting Homebrew:
    Requip Knight

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 130 No.
    Concentration
    To cast a spell, you must concentrate. If something interrupts your concentration while you’re casting, you must make a Concentration check or lose the spell. The more distracting the interruption and the higher the level of the spell you are trying to cast, the higher the DC is. If you fail the check, you lose the spell just as if you had cast it to no effect.
    You can only concentrate one one thing at a time (barring special exceptions). Concentrating to cast a new spell means you cease concentrating on the first spell, which is immediately lost. So your surmise is correct.

9. - Top - End - #249

Q 131:

As a Shadow Sentinel you obtain an "Umbral Blade" Races of Destiny p. 137 which "you can't add other special properties or powers to" at first level of the PrC.

If you have the Feat "Improved Critical" for the weapon type that matches that of your "Umbral blade" does the feat take effect or, does this count as a property or power?

Thank-you in advance.
    Last edited by Ferronach; 2014-05-28 at 10:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

A131
    The feat takes effect. The feat modifies your skill with the weapon not the weapon itself (unlike the keen enhancement).
    That they have equivalent non-stacking effects is besides the point.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q132: Can you modify your eldritch claws with effects that modify eldritch blast? (healing blast, hellfire blast, etc. etc.)

12. - Top - End - #252
    Bugbear in the Playground

A132: IIRC, yes. The cost for the abilities would be triggered when you first form the claws.

Q133:I've been looking at the Phrenic Template and I've been wondering, and it has no listed levels for it's PLAs. Do they default to the Psion versions?
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Q 134

If I use Schism to manifest Psionic Dimension Door, does your turn end or does the effect of not being able to take further actions only applies to the Schismed mind?
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

14. - Top - End - #254

OldWizardGuy

Q 135

If I use spell mastery to memorize magic missile, can i use a second level spell slot to cast a silent magic missile, as a full-round action for using metamagic spontaneously?

Q 136

The same question, only with Alacritous Cogitation.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

A 135

No. Spell Mastery is only available to wizards. Wizards normally cannot cast spontaneously. All Spell Mastery does is allow the wizard to prepare the spell without a spellbook. He could however prepare the spell with metamagic applied without a spellbook as well. Since he is not casting spontaneously, the silent magic missile would still only require a standard action.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q137:
    How I understand, metamagic feat can be aplied to any spell whenewerth I want it? Or I must choce this feat only for 1 spell and use it also only for him?
    Q138:
    If I am not wrong, Oriental Adventures is 3.0, but can be it used in 3.5, or this will b ehomebrew? Because I look class index from wizards and it were in list of classes.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: Q 137

I have no idea what you are trying to say, please rephrase that question.

A 138

Oriental Adventures was first published as a 3.0 book, but has received an update to 3.5 (in one of the Dragon Magazines, I believe).

Q 139

What happens, if your INT is enhanced by spell or item when you select spell mastery?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

A137

Metamagic feats can be applied to any of your spells as long as you have the appropriate higher level slots to cast them in. Note that different classes interact with metamagic feats in different ways, when it comes to the casting and/or prep.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q137:
    After I take metamagic feat, I can use on any spell when I want to do it? Or when I tale feat, I must to choce 1 spell, with which I can use this feat?
    Last edited by MizuDevil; 2014-05-29 at 03:07 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 138 additional info

To use Oriental Adventures content in a 3.5 game, follow these steps:
    • Apply the (3.0) errata file for the book, available here.
    • Apply the 3.5 update to the book: everything in Dragon # 318 on pages 32-48.
    • Make all the relevant version changes in the free 40-page D&D v.3.5 Accessory Update Booklet booklet, available here. These include renamed skills, obsolete feats, and other basic differences between the editions.
    • Note that if there is a newer version of something (with the same name in the same category) the old version is obsolete and unavailable if your game uses the source which includes the newer version. Beyond those obvious updates, there is an official replacement list for 3.0 feats, classes, and spells here. Many of these official replacements have been renamed and/or consolidated.

A 139

You follow the instructions, mastering the number of skills dictated by your current INT modifier — whether that includes bonuses, penalties, a combination, or no adjustments.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Banned

Q140

Can you say basic feats or mechanics for Duskblade, which strengthen him good ?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A137 continued
    A metamagic feat can be applied to any spell you can cast (but see below).

Normally metamagic feats modify the spell's level for casting purposes (there are exceptions and ways round this). You must be capable of casting the modified spell (in term's of its new casting level) to cast the modified spell.
    - Thus an extended mage armor is cast as a second-level spell.

If you cast spells spontaneously (sorcerors, clerics converting spells to cure X wounds etc.) then you can choose to apply the metamagic feat at the time of casting.
    - Thus a sorcerer can use a full round action and a second-level spell slot to cast the extended mage armor.
    - Note that a cleric has to sacrifice a fourth-level spell to cast maximized cure light wounds.

If you prepare spells (wizards, clerics not converting spells etc.) then you apply the metamagic feat when you prepare your spells.
    - Thus a wizard can prepare both a mage armor in a first-level slot and an extended mage armor in a second-level slot when preparing spells for the day.

The main exception is the "Sudden metamagic" line of feats. These are always applied spontaneously and do not change the level of the spell.
    - Thus using sudden empower with magic missile is a first-level spell for both sorcerors and wizards, but the sorcerer still needs to spell a full-round action to cast it while the wizard does not.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 140
    Quote Originally Posted by boriss283 View Post
    Can you say basic feats or mechanics for Duskblade, which strengthen him good ?
    This is not a Rules question but an advice question and is thus beyond the scope of this thread. You are best-off starting a new thread to ask this question. Do state the campaign restrictions and the approximate level as it does make a difference. Also try a web search for "Duskblade Handbook" - it's a very good starting point.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2014-05-29 at 04:22 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by Muggins View Post
    Q 122

Is the slime lord's paralytic slime ability exclusive to their pesudopods, a seperate class feature? If so, the second sentence seems unnecessarily vague about what "a slime lord's natural attack" is.
    Can I get some thoughts on this?
    The Forsaker: A 3.5e revamp.
    Spoiler: CharOP
    Show
    IC 56: Bolivar d'Kundarak (Silver)
    IC 76: Xander Marchand (Silver)
    IC 82: North and East and Gripp (Tied for Gold!)
    VC 17: Liridon (Silver)
    JW 5: Nyan (Gold)
    ZS 24: Isabel (Gold)

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Normally metamagic feats modify the spell's level for casting purposes (there are exceptions and ways round this). You must be capable of casting the modified spell (in term's of its new casting level) to cast the modified spell.
    - Thus an extended mage armor is cast as a second-level spell.
    This is wrong. With the exception of Heighten Spell metamagiced spells do not change their spell level. They are however often prepared in and/or cast from a higher level slot:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Spells modified by a metamagic feat use a spell slot higher than normal. This does not change the level of the spell, so the DC for saving throws against it does not go up.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    This is wrong. With the exception of Heighten Spell metamagiced spells do not change their spell level. They are however often prepared in and/or cast from a higher level slot:
    Before saying something is "wrong" try reading what is actually written:
    Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Normally metamagic feats modify the spell's level for casting purposes (there are exceptions and ways round this).
    I have added the bold for emphasis.
    Yes I did not clarify further that it is not modified for anything else, but when someone is in need of having some of the basics explained it is best to keep things simple and perhaps I went too far.

So what you should have posted was additional information/clarification, not an incorrect statement that it was "wrong".

27. - Top - End - #267

Q 141

Can a Hydra with the Multiheaded Lernean template (let's assume 3 extra heads on a 12-headed Hydra) take the Improved Natural Attack (Bite) feat more than once?
    Check out my threads:
    Video Game Characters as D&D Characters v2.0
    Anime Characters as D&D Characters v2.0

I never use Psionics in my games.

Avatar by the amazing AsteriskAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

Alter Form into Elvis Presley. You are now the KING!

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Darkweave31 View Post
    Q119 How does clockwork armor interact with freedom of movement for the purposes of freezing when hit by cold damage or when damaged and suffering a breakdown?

Spoiler: Relevant Text
    Show
    Details of each breakdown are left to the DM but should primarily include partial paralysis (like frozen armor, but affecting only arms or legs), and/or repetitive arm motion (eliminating the wearer's Dex bonus) or leg motion (forcing the wearer to move at base speed each round).

Source http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a
    Before this sinks to the bottom.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities... Quickly please, before they are out of range."

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!!"

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 141 Yes, but with limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Improved Natural Attack
    This feat may be taken multiple times, but each time it applies to a different natural attack.
    A Hydra, which attacks with a bite from each head, can take Improved Natural Attack for each of those attacks; the 12-headed Hydra could thus take the feat up to 12 times for its existing bite attacks. However, each iteration of the feat is for the specific natural attack for which Improved Natural Attack is chosen. If that specific bite attack disappears from the Hydra, and two new ones appear, the feat applying to the natural attack which no longer exists provides no benefit. The Lernaean Creatures template provides no additional issues for this question except that, as with any 3.0 content, your DM will need to be consulted as to what adjustments need be made before it can be introduced into their 3.5 game.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-05-29 at 02:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 142 A

Say I want t create a Ring of Heart of Water. I assume I'd get the swim speed bonus, the +8 racial bonus, +5 enhance on Escape Artist and Water Breathing. Is this correct?

However, what about the Freedom of Movement effect? And the Fortification effect?

Q 142 B

If can't benefit from the FoM, can I have a use activated item that grants me said FoM?

Q 142 C

If I also wear a Ring of Heart of Fire, will I get Light Fortification?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-05-29 at 02:07 PM.