New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 63 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

A330a: Yes - if you are larger than your eidolon (for whatever reason), you will not be able to fuse with it until you can scale it up or reduce your own size. "The eidolon must be at least the same size as the synthesist." (Are you playing a monster race?)

A330b: Yes, you start by picking a base form, just as you would when summoning a regular eidolon. You have to do this, because that's where the eidolon's physical ability scores come from to replace yours.

A330c: (Did you mean the Mount evolution? There isn't one called Ride.) I've heard of this rule for Centaurs but I'm having trouble finding it, do you know where it is? So far what I've seen is that this is a property/quirk specific to Centaurs, and Eidolons wouldn't get the same privilege - you will need a separate rider with the necessary feats. I could be wrong on this one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #722
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A330a: Yes - if you are larger than your eidolon (for whatever reason), you will not be able to fuse with it until you can scale it up or reduce your own size. "The eidolon must be at least the same size as the synthesist." (Are you playing a monster race?)

A330b: Yes, you start by picking a base form, just as you would when summoning a regular eidolon. You have to do this, because that's where the eidolon's physical ability scores come from to replace yours.

A330c: (Did you mean the Mount evolution? There isn't one called Ride.) I've heard of this rule for Centaurs but I'm having trouble finding it, do you know where it is? So far what I've seen is that this is a property/quirk specific to Centaurs, and Eidolons wouldn't get the same privilege - you will need a separate rider with the necessary feats. I could be wrong on this one though.
    Q330a
    I was looking at the race Ironborn, it has the option to be made Large from the start.

Q330c
    i think that might be an old rule from 3.5, the SRD on 3.5 says doubles damage on a charge as if it was its own rider, not sure if it was carried over to pathfinder then. The Centaur package for the Eidolon gives your eidolon the centaur only perk of using medium weapons, so i would think bonuses would carry over too.
    Last edited by Drackstin; 2014-09-26 at 11:47 AM.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi again :)

Q331: How can a character move if she has more type of speed? I mean can I walk to a wall and begin to climb it in the same round (as a move action?)

And if I can do both in the same round, how do I exchange the moving? I mean, the climb speed is 20, the moving speed is 30.

I will have a catfolk character with climb speed.

4. - Top - End - #724

A331 partial: For the first part of your question: "Climbing is part of movement, so it’s generally part of a move action (and may be combined with other types of movement in a move action)."

For the second part, i.e. how far can you go if you do both - that I'm not sure of. My thought is that you would go up the wall whatever is left of your land speed, or whatever your climb speed is, whichever is slower - but I'm having trouble sourcing that, so I'll let someone else do the digging while I leave work.

A332: Yes, by RAW and RAI.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #725

Q333 What happens if a Sacred Huntsman Inquisitor takes the Animal Domain?

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

A333
    There is some debate on how multiple animal companions work, because they all "stack" in a sense.
    The character's druid level. The druid's class levels stack with levels of any other classes that are entitled to an animal companion for the purpose of determining the companion's statistics.
    Then there is the FAQ entry that also states it stacks, unless you pick different animals. It is vague whether you can choose your second animal if both lists are the same (Cavalier and Rangers have limits) or if you are forced to stack. There is no clear answer in that regard.

So if you can pick both your animals, and you now have two animal companions. One at -3 level.. These must be different creatures. (I.E. No 2 dogs)

But if you are not allowed to choose, you only get one creature but all your sources stack. This leads to having 5 "druid" levels at level four, and only getting worse from there (up to 37 druid levels at level 20). ...This seems be a case of RAW but silly...

In either case, double check with your DM first on whether he allows multiple animal companions, and if he says no, don't bother him with stacking shenanigans.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

Re-posting Q316 for visibility:
    How do the multipliers in the Foe-Biting weapon mythic weapon property, the Vital Strike chain of feats (and by extension their Mythic counterparts), and critical hits interact with each other? As I understand it, critical hits and the Vital Strike line stack additively, while the Foe-Biting property stacks multiplicatively; is this the case? If so, in which order do you put them together?

Bonus points: can you explain using the following example?
    A character with a scythe (x4 modifier), who has the Vital Strike line up to Improved and Mythic Improved (x3 modifier), confirms a critical hit, expending two uses of Mythic Power to activate Foe-Biting (x2 modifier). What is the final damage modifier for weapon damage and flat modifiers, as well as for precision damage?

If needed, I can quote and cite the relevant sources for perusal.
    Homebrew!
    5e: Expanded Inspiration Uses

Spoiler: 3.5/P Stuff. Warning: OLD
    Show

8. - Top - End - #728
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q344

Has there been an official ruling on how that kyoketsu Eastern weapon works?
    Last edited by Rickshaw; 2014-09-27 at 09:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

A344
    Nope, no official answer. And from the looks of it, it should have functioned like a Kusarigama, but the table stats are a complete mess that don't even match the written information. No one can fix this mess.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

10. - Top - End - #730
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q345

Alright, here's a fun one on using CHA to boost saves. Let's say I take a few levels of a divine class (say, Inquisator or Oracle) and take the Divine Protection feat (add CHA to saves). Then I take two levels of Paladin for Divine Grace. Then using the mythic ability 'beyond morality' (ignore class restrictions and the like) I take two levels of Anti-paladin for unholy resilience, adding my CHA to my saves again. Divine protection has some tricky wording, but I think if you grab it first it should work.

Anywho, far as I can tell, this would add your CHA to your saves three times. Does this work, or have I missed anything?

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

A345
    You cannot multi class Anti-Paladin with Paladin at all. Alternate Classes are still archetypes in a sense, and function under the same rules, an alternate class cannot take levels in the associated class.

Edit: Beyond Morality is also dubious (and was already an arcane discovery, thank you paizo for the confusion) in this case. Becoming an Anti-Paladin is a strict violation (breaking the code and ethics) of being a Paladin, you might still loose all your class features. But it's subject to the DM, so your DM ruling may very.

I also doubt your interpretation of Divine Protection. I assume it is retroactive like most abilities and skills in the game, meaning that if you gain Divine Grace later the if-condition is still met and you are "stuck" with "only" a +1 on saves.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-09-30 at 03:23 PM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

12. - Top - End - #732
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q346 How much would it cost to have an NPC craft a custom wondrous item for me? I am looking for an item which effectively provides a permanent Age Resistance spell for the least cost- which I think would be an item which occupies a slot and only allows one cast per day of the spell with a command word, as Age Resistance last 24 hours. I think I have it correctly at 7200 gp.

Bonus points if you can break down the cost and modifiers for me so I can do this on my own in the future.

Extra Bonus points if you can make a recommendation for which slot makes the most sense to give up, all other things even.

Thanks!

13. - Top - End - #733

A345 addendum: To add to Yanisa's response, the designers have also clarified that "X stat to Y bonus" effects don't stack in Pathfinder, as they become "typed" to your stat in a sense. (i.e. your stat itself becomes the bonus type.)

A346 partial: Unfortunately the custom item guidelines are just that - guidelines. There is no RAW answer to your question, though we could probably put our heads together and come up with some subjective value your DM may or may not accept.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Q347 Which ways are there to identify a standard wizard familiar? Know Nature checks should only give you the creature type and there should also be no dispellable magic involved for "detect magic". So how would you do that? Is there no standard way?

15. - Top - End - #735
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q348.

Yo, hello. There's a homebrew feat called Martial Healing that says "When you receive the benefit of a Cure spell...". My question is: potions, spell-like abilities, wands and scrolls count as a "cure spell"?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

16. - Top - End - #736

None that I know of, Spore, but I'll leave yours alone just in case.

A348: Yes, drinking a potion casts the actual spell on you.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #737

RangerGuy

Q349.

Pardon mah' dumb question. And thanks Psyren for answering my questions for Nth time (lots of love for you). Stacking temporary HP from DIFFERENT sources. Is it possible? I know that the same source does not stacks. What about different sources? Let's say Righteous Vigor (spell) and Martial Power (feat from PoW).
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ettin in the Playground

Q350
    If the recipient of a beast shape spells falls into negative hp while it is active, do they return to their vase form?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

19. - Top - End - #739
    Troll in the Playground

Q 349 Yes. It even says it in the place that you linked. It's the last sentence.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

20. - Top - End - #740

A350: As near as I can tell, the only spell effects that end when you die are those with "Duration: Concentration" (since you can't concentrate.) All the rest should run out their durations.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

A347 Sort Off
    Familiars are listed in the Bestiary as a "Monster" so to speak. So a knowledge nature skill should be able to identify one...

Although this is subject to interpretation, because the same chapter also states the listed stats can be used for normal creatures. Still I feel it is a entry in the bestiary, so a Familiar should be identified as any other entry in the Bestiary.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A345 addendum: To add to Yanisa's response, the designers have also clarified that "X stat to Y bonus" effects don't stack in Pathfinder, as they become "typed" to your stat in a sense. (i.e. your stat itself becomes the bonus type.)
    Yeah, but that is not RAW, nor based on the 3.5 logic behind stacking... It still is Paizo Designer RAI and I guess PFS legal too...?

Speaking about double ability scores to a single stat...
    Q351
    Does anyone know where exactly it was stated it doesn't stack and has a link to the post/topic? I seem to fail in finding it and my memory fails me in what discussion it was.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-10-01 at 09:40 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

22. - Top - End - #742

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    Q351
    Does anyone know where exactly it was stated it doesn't stack and has a link to the post/topic? I seem to fail in finding it and my memory fails me in what discussion it was.
    A351: the quote is here; the question came up due to Weapon Finesse + Fury's Fall. In addition, the FAQ about Agile Maneuvers and Weapon Finesse implies the two are not intended to stack ("still useful.")

And of course, if you allow this, it means you can take all three feats to triple-dip your Dex on trip attempts.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-10-01 at 10:18 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #743

PaladinGuy

Q352

Since a Warpriest gets its spells from the cleric list, do they also gain the extra spells from worshiping a god? (example: rovagug gives cleric balefull polymorph as a 4th level spell)

Q353

When a Warpriest gains a Bonus feat, it treats its class level as its fighter level and its base attack bonus, dose this also count for the human favored class bonus combat feat?

24. - Top - End - #744

Q353 If someone standing outside yet near an Antimagic Field casts Detect Magic, will they detect the presence of the Antimagic Field (as a strong abjuration if nothing else), or is the field invisible to magical detection?

Q354 If a magic item or spell is active inside a Selective Antimagic Field is active (and permitted by the selective nature of the antimagic field), can it be detected by someone standing outside the Antimagic Field casting Detect Magic?

25. - Top - End - #745
    Troll in the Playground

Q 356 (prev miscounted) Animate Dead is range "touch" and has a casting time of 1 standard action. Duration is instantaneous. How do you touch multiple bodies with one standard action? Do you have to arrange them in a tight pile or something, or like, in a circle with their hands all stacked up in a group high-five like they're players getting psyched up to win a high school basketball game?
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2014-10-02 at 07:17 AM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

26. - Top - End - #746

A355: From the PFSRD
    Bolded for emphasis
    Holding the Charge: If you don't discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the charge indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren't considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack normally doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack. If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.
    You don't want the monster? You don't throw the switch.
    Awesome Avatar by Starwoof

27. - Top - End - #747

A356 correction: There is a more specific rule for this situation from the Magic chapter (rather than the Combat chapter) and it allows you to touch 6 as part of the action for casting the spell.

Touch

You must touch a creature or object to affect it. A touch spell that deals damage can score a critical hit just as a weapon can. A touch spell threatens a critical hit on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch up to 6 willing targets as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell. If the spell allows you to touch targets over multiple rounds, touching 6 creatures is a full-round action.
    Aergoth's quote applies to holding the charge, whereas the above quote applies to simply casting the spell and touching with it in the same action. Note the last sentence - it is only a full-round action to touch if you are doing so over multiple rounds (i.e., holding the charge, as in the earlier quote.)

I'll answer the other questions later if nobody else gets to them first.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-10-01 at 08:29 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #748

A352: Yes, because it gets added to the cleric list, which Warpriests get.

A353: As written no, just the bonus feats on the table because it is part of their "Bonus Feats" class feature - but a DM should let you do this. Worst-case scenario, retrain one of those feats into the feat you want.

A354: The edge of the field is detectable as it is an ongoing spell effect.

A355: Selective Spell doesn't work with AMF in Pathfinder as it is not instantaneous.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Q357 Would a warforged barbarian be able to ragecycle from the getgo due to its immunity to fatigue? Would you consider this balanced because they can't heal damage normally and are affected half from cure x spells?

30. - Top - End - #750

A357: Yes and yes, it should be fine. While the latter is more of a subjective value judgment, it's worth remembering that 'ragecycling' is functionally little different than drinking a 300gp potion (or 0gp extract) after every rage. This is something a low level character can quite feasibly do even in combat, thus fatigue immunity amounts more to convenience than to pure power. In addition, Warforged are explicitly subject to fear and emotion-based effects; the benefit they gain in exchange for this vulnerability is that they can also benefit from morale effects. Compare to Androids, who are also racially immune to fatigue but truly emotionless, meaning they can rage but generally get almost nothing out of doing so.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy