New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

A159
    Well I am not the greatest expert on this, and pathfinder did a lot of small changes, but I suspect that if you run monster directly out of PF in 3.5 you don't encounter that much troubles. I suspect skills are the biggest chance in monster stat block (perception being spot and listen, getting +3 and ranks equal HD instead of HD+3 3.5 did). Then there are the more feats which are notable on higher HD monsters, although that wouldn't tip the power scale much.

Comparing a Barbed Devil (3.5) with a Barbed Devil (PF) they both mostly seem to have the same stats.

Maybe someone else has a better answer, or a simple conversation guide. (I only found 3.5 to PF)

A160
    It means the DC of that special ability is (partly*) based on the creatures charisma. So keep that in mind if the creatures charisma increases.
    (*Most special abilities with a DC are calculated as followed: 10 + 1/2 Creature's HD + Ability Score Modifier.)
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

2. - Top - End - #272
    Pixie in the Playground

Bracers of armor - and armor special abilites.

Q161
    It says that it must be at least +1 to have a special abilites: does that mean it has to have +AC, or all its bonus can come from one or more special ability?
    So can I have a bracers of armor +2, that doesn't give AC bonus, but gives spell resistance 13?

Q162
    If I want to make a bracers of armor with special armor ability (f.e. spell resistance), does the "Craft Magic Arms and Armor" requirement applies to it? The bracers of armor is neither an armor nor shield, and the "normal" version needs only wondrous item creation feat, and mage armor spell.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

A161
    It says
    Bracers of armor must have at least a +1 armor bonus to grant an armor special ability.
    So it must at give at least one point of AC before you can add special enchants too it. It is the same rule as normal magic armor too.

In addition to an enhancement bonus, armor may have special abilities . Special abilities usually count as additional bonuses for determining the market value of an item, but do not improve AC. A suit of armor cannot have an effective bonus (enhancement plus special ability bonus equivalents, including those from character abilities and spells) higher than +10. A suit of armor with a special ability must also have at least a +1 enhancement bonus.
    A162
    By the hard rules yes, there doesn't seem to be an exception or FAQ to avoid double feat requirement. In fact the magic item rules state that feat requirements are the only one that cannot be ignored.
    Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item's creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed). The DC to create a magic item increases by 5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completion magic items without meeting its prerequisites.
    (It is a common problem and also happens with other similar items, like the Amulet of Mighty Fist.)

Although I agree that it does sound redundant and personally I as a DM wouldn't bother with it.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Q 163

Any reason why Infernal Healing wouldn't heal undead as well? It's clearly not using positive energy.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q164:

Regarding the maneuver Rising Zenith Strike (Page 40, Path of War, 2nd tome The warlord, school Scarlet Throne) and its following maneuvers Ruby Zenith strike, Descending sunset strike, the manuever reads as follows:

With supreme focus, comes great insight into theworkings of a foe’s defenses. When the moment is right, the disciple releases his attack in a vicious upward swing.The disciple makes a Sense Motive check in place of hisnormal attack roll (he may add any enhancement bonus from the weapon or feats that apply from the use of his weapon to this Sense Motive check as well), and if this Sense Motive check equals or exceeds the target’s armorclass, the attack deals double damage. If this check does not meet or exceed the target’s armor class, then the attack fails and the disciple misses.
    Is this damage like a critical strike? do you have to roll the dice twice (or thrice or quad) like a critical strike or you just multiply your first resuts for the correponding multiplier?

thanks
    Last edited by Griffin; 2014-07-11 at 09:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

A163
    No reason. In fact, Infernal Healing gives Fast Healing, which is called out to work on any undead:
    Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature's Intelligence score.
    A164 (more like half an answer)
    I don't own any of the Path of War books, but I can might offer some insight. From the weapons page:
    Critical: The entry in this column notes how the weapon is used with the rules for critical hits. When your character scores a critical hit, roll the damage two, three, or four times, as indicated by its critical multiplier (using all applicable modifiers on each roll), and add all the results together.

Extra damage over and above a weapon's normal damage is not multiplied when you score a critical hit.

×2: The weapon deals double damage on a critical hit.

×3: The weapon deals triple damage on a critical hit.

×3/×4: One head of this double weapon deals triple damage on a critical hit. The other head deals quadruple damage on a critical hit.

×4: The weapon deals quadruple damage on a critical hit.

[...]
    As you can see the simplified critical rules also talk about double damage, but the more detailed rules tells us it is in fact roll twice.

But I don't know if Path of War follows the same logic.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-07-12 at 01:41 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Q 165
    Per the flight hex, the witch can fly for a limited amount of time, but it doesn't say she casts the flight spell. Does she or does she not need to spend a standard action before she starts flying?

Q 166
    Slumber says it works as per the sleep spell. Does this mean it doesn't work on anything higher than 4 HD? It seems folks here have generally interpreted it to not have that limitation but it seems like a legitimate concern based on the wording.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2014-07-12 at 08:55 AM.

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

A165
    It also doesn't say you cast Feather Fall...

General rule:
    Unless otherwise noted, using a hex is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
    But then again, most people assume both cases take the action associated with the spell, giving the wording (and the way levitate is described). Swift Action for Feather Fall and Standard action for Fly.

In any case you cant get away with a free action.

A166
    The text:
    Slumber (Su)

Effect: A witch can cause a creature within 30 feet to fall into a deep, magical sleep, as per the spell sleep. The creature receives a Will save to negate the effect. If the save fails, the creature falls asleep for a number of rounds equal to the witch’s level.

This hex can affect a creature of any HD. The creature will not wake due to noise or light, but others can rouse it with a standard action. This hex ends immediately if the creature takes damage. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of this hex again for 1 day.
    The bold part clearly overwrites the normal HD limit.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    It also doesn't say you cast Feather Fall...
    Actually, the spell is an immediate action and the effect would be nearly useless if it wasn't. However, strictly RAW, it seems like that might require a standard action as well for the same reason as fly. I would expect most DMs to house-rule otherwise and I would hope Paizo would post an update.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    The bold part clearly overwrites the normal HD limit.
    I can't believe I didn't see that.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2014-07-12 at 01:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q 167
    Okay you can use Sunder as part of a full round action. I know you can have more then one sunder with a high base attack bonus like having more then one attack.
    Does that also apply to natural attacks? Can you use each of your natural attacks as a sunder?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

A165 Addendum
    To be fair, giving the wording, there is an easier case to make that Fly is cast like spell, then Feather Fall.
    Effect: At 1st level, the witch can use feather fall at will and gains a +4 racial bonus on Swim checks. At 3rd level, she can cast levitate once per day. At 5th level, she can fly, as per the spell, for a number of minutes per day equal to her level. These minutes do not need to be consecutive, but they must be spent in 1-minute increments. This hex only affects the witch.
    Fly at least has the line "as per the spell"
    Feather Fall just say "use Feather Fall", without even making clear that it is an spell in the first place. (Ignoring the link on D20PFSRD and the iconic nature of Feather Fall.)

Wording can be vague like that.

(And yeah Feather Fall is an immediate action, my bad.)

A167
    The sunder rules don't specifically state you need a weapon to sunder. An attack that deals lethal damage is enough. So that means you can use natural weapons to sunder. (And Monks can sunder with their unarmed strikes, that is specifically stated in their description.)
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-07-12 at 03:25 PM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

12. - Top - End - #282
    Pixie in the Playground

Q168
    Is it possible for a blade bound magus' black blade to be made of a special material such as cold iron?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

A168
    Maybe. It is not mentioned in the description, so some people assume it can. Others say you can't because you also can't enchant the sword. But there is no clear answer, so this is strictly ask your DM terrain.

As a sidenote, you don't really need a special material sword (but it can add to the cool factor). At level five your Arcane Pool allows you to increase your sword enchantment bonus by 2, giving you a temporary +4 sword, which is enough to pierce trough all special material damage reductions.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Q169 Fetchlings provide all summoners with the following evolutions:

Shadow Form (Su): The eidolon's body becomes shadowy and more indistinct. This shadow form grants the eidolon constant concealment (20% miss chance), and its melee attacks affect incorporeal creatures as if it had the ghost touch weapon property. The eidolon's melee attacks deal only half damage to corporeal creatures.
    Would an Eidolon with magical weapons deal full damage then? Would you houserule that in? Or would you stay adamant and tell them to get Lesser Evolution surge and skip that one?

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Q 170
    Is False Focus a valid feat or is it third party? It appears to come from Paizo material according to the reference. The reason I ask is because it's not an option in Hero Lab which seems odd.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q 171

Assume someone stands in the outermost 5 ft of the radius of a fog spell or similar. The person stands adjacent to the radius of the spell, inside the area of the spell, trying to see targets outside of the area of the spell.

<20ft radius>
    _ _ _ _|_ _ _P ...... [ _ = 5ft square ] [ P = PC ] [ ..... = open, unaffected terrain ]

The fog obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker can’t use sight to locate the target).
    Can said person see OUT of the fog without issue, or does said person also suffer from not being able to see farther than 5ft in the area unaffected by the spell?

Last edited by kkplx; 2014-07-13 at 09:22 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

A169
    In its current writing, nothing can help with the half damage against corporeal.

To be fair the whole thing is phrased a bit oddly. Ghost Touch as weapon property functions both against incorporeal as well corporeal. In fact the only source I can find about incorporeal dealing half damage is with the Ghost template, and even that is prevented by Ghost Touch. In fact magic weapons are the ones dealing half damage (with mundanes dealing no damage). So there is no evidence a magic weapon would help an Incorporeal (Ghost) deal full damage against a Corporeal.

And house ruling might undermine any penalty they were trying to give for the strong concealment ability. And it does need some penalty, else you could get 20% concealment without problem, and 50% in most situations at level 1 (at least the DM has options against Shadow Blend, Shadow Form without the penalties seem insanely powerful and nothing can stop it.). Any house rule would either need a complete rewrite (probably by giving it a level cap) and/or ignore the normal incorporeal rules that it seemingly is based on. Either case there doesn't seem to be a simple solution (partly because I don't know how powerful concealment is per level.)

Personally I would stick with Shadow Blend + A Ghost Touch Amulet of Mighty Fist.

A170
    It is a real feat published by Paizo. It is part of their Golarion Campaign Books, Inner Sea Magic.

I am no expert on Hero Labs, but if I have to guess it might have to do with copy right issues. Many Golarion Content (but not this feat) is renamed on the D20PFSRD for that same reason.

A171
    Any person on the edge can look outside the fog without problem.

The idea is that you cannot see beyond 5 feet, but in the case of the edge there is no fog blocking your view at that 5 feet range. It still is a bit convoluted and it can be easily read is only being able to see in your own square. Then again you are easier to see on the edge, so it makes sense you can look out the cloud no problem. (And likewise creatures outside the fog don't have concealment.)

___

Old PF Initiative Build

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q172 I've been rereading grapple rules (since I was doing a rewrite) and I noticed something I've never considered before. We know that if multiple creatures wanna grapple a single creature, they use the Aid Another action to provide a bonus to the one who originally initiated the grapple. All fine and dandy, if a bit simplistic. Are those creatures considered grappling? Do they gain the grappled condition? And how does that work for creatures with the attach ability?

A scenario from the past came to mind: A group of stirges attacking the group. Assuming more than one stirge attaches to a creature, do all of them need to make checks to maintain grapple? Do all of them drain blood? Can they even attach all at once? It's a bit ironic that as complex as grapple rules are, they get surprisingly vague when it comes to monsters (and they do most of the grappling!).
    Last edited by Keneth; 2014-07-13 at 02:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q173 5ft Cube vs 5 cu. feet. Does Pazio mean the difference literally, as in one is 125 cubic feet in volume, and one is 5 cubic feet in volume?

Asking this for the Watersinger ability, which specifies control of up to a 5 foot cube of water, which is roughly 3 and a half TONNES of water (125 cubic feet of water is 7,803 pounds) which seems like rather a lot.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Question 174

Pathfinder Beastiary 1 states that Lycanthropes gain a natural armor in Hybrid and Animal forms equal to the base animal's +2. Furthermore, it states that the size of the hybrid form is the same as the largest size between the base creature and animal.

As far as I can tell this isn't really reflected in the Beastiary 2's stats for Werebear (Natural armor of +2 in Hybrid, Medium sized in hybrid). Am I missing something, like maybe a different bear entry besides Grizzly, and should I allow my newly afflicted Werebear to have a +2 natural armor like in the example or a +8 as depicted in the rule while in hybrid and animal form?

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

A172
    I'm surprised how little information there is on this one, best I can say is; by the strict letter of the rules additional creatures are not considered grappled. (In most cases of aiding another, you are not preforming the action yourself, although real logic that doesn't make a lot of sense in a lot of cases.)

Although in the spirit of the 3.5 rules they should be. Then again I suspect Paizo tried to avoid the mess of rules that is the multiple grappling creatures of 3.5.

A173
    Yes, we have to trust that Paizo knows the difference because they use both wordings (although this partly comes from 3.5 too) and in some cases it even makes sense.

In the case of the Watersinger, I suspect this one is more written with a combat grid in mind. You control one grid square of water, which is five by five by five feet. (Which is indeed a lot of water.)

A174
    Yes, the Bestiary stats are indeed wrong. None of the medium bears fit the bill either (Black Bear, which has 4 natural armor normally, or Young Bears who don't loose that much AC).

Luckily someone at D20PFSRD made a recalculated version.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I only wish that was the only problem with multiple creatures grappling, but I think we can all agree that it's a mess when you actually get down to it.

Q175 Here's another one: How do you handle creatures snatching up smaller creatures? Obviously, there's the Snatch feat, but it doesn't really change the rules of grappling much, and most creatures don't have that feat.

It would seem that at some point, if the target is much smaller than you, you shouldn't really gain the grappled condition.

For instance, a Roc does a flyby attack and grabs you as it swoops down on your character, flying off with you in its talons. Except... it can't? It's grappling, so it comes to a dead stop. It can try the move action next round with a successful grapple check, moving half speed along with you, but that hardly seems appropriate. You're not really grappling if you pick up a cat either.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 176: Other than the Antipaladin, is there any way to gain an Aura of Cowardice?
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

24. - Top - End - #294

Imp

Q 177

If i use a metamagic rod when creating a scroll, can I create:

• A scroll with the spell cast and the metamagic from the rod applied, at no increase of spell level (and price)?

or
    • A scroll with the spell cast and the metamagic from the rod applied, at an appropriate increase of spell level(and price)?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2014-07-14 at 09:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Q178

I was trying to figure out lycanthropy, when I stumbled upon the hybrid wereboar. But it seems like its stats don't match the template at all. Is it based on some other creature? Statted wrong? Built without reference to the template? Or am I just missing something?

26. - Top - End - #296

Imp

Q 179

Can alchemists use metamagic rods with their extracts (as they drink them), or use them when they create the extract (at no increase of a slot)?

27. - Top - End - #297

Imp

Q 180

Does a dead creature count as a creature or as an object for the purpose of spells?
    (I need a source if possible)

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

A175
    Full answer pending in a couple of hours. (I ran out of time and this is a long question/answer.)

Key points:
    Attach (from the previous question I forgot to mention) is weird because the target is never grappled, leads to some odd scenario that every creature grapples by himself and cannot aid another.
    Grapple is the only Combat Maneuver that deals with bodies rather then objects and doesn't have a size limitation, it is implied that this is a deliberate choice. I guess at some point you end up as dog pile. Or a tug o' war when two sides assist. And with the snatch feat and squeezing, you can always assist by pushing your friends maw or claw close to assist in some weird loony toons sketch of a grapple.
    Or have this out of context quote (its in the skills rules aid another, not the combat one, sigh.)
    The GM might impose further restrictions to aiding another on a case-by-case basis as well.
    But it should be applied to aid another in grapples, and maybe combat as well.
    Rocs and Grab, yeah there is mechanic to do swoop an enemy, but it makes your grapple suck (-20 on grapple, that helps).

A176
    I can't find one, even every creature with an "Aura of Cowardice" is secretly an anti-paladin.

A177
    Technically you cant use metamagic rods to create metamagic enhanced items, but if you could the answer would be: "A scroll with the spell cast and the metamagic from the rod applied, at no increase of spell level (and price)". (Although I suspect the price would go up because of its usefulness, but thats more marketing then rules.)

A178
    I suspect it is statted wrong, we had a question about werebears earlier and those were are off too. Unlike the werebear, I cant find a correct wereboar.

A179
    Technically Alchemist can't use metamagic, but if they could the metamagic rod would be needed during drinking, because that is the moment described as similar to casting a spell.

A180
    I can't find a ruling or a source but most spells that work with corpses and undead tend to have an "(object)" line in the saving throw line and because undead aren't object, that must mean the corpses are.
    Gentle Repose and Decompose Corpse come to mind.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-07-15 at 12:32 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q175+ Yeah, a roc can use the -20 option because they happen to have grab, but that wasn't really the point. It could be a giant grappling an atomie. I find it hard to believe that the giant would have difficulty moving.

Anyway, this is just food for thought. These irregularities have no bearing on my games, but I figured someone should probably ask the questions for posterity's sake if nothing else.

A177 dispute While I agree that metamagic rods shouldn't be used in crafting, if only to avoid confusion, normal metamagic feats can, and the price is increased accordingly. Metamagic rods are not taxing on the caster, but they don't change the behaviour of metamagic spells. If you provide a higher level spell without providing the requisite materials to craft an item, the crafting simply fails. There's already plenty of ways to make crafting dirt cheap, we don't need more loopholes for player to abuse their WBL.

A178+ Actually, it's statted correctly, it's the rage that makes it a bit wonky.

The human form stats (without rage) are: Str 15, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8

When he goes into hybrid form, his stats are: Str 19, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8

Add +4 Str and +4 Con to each for rage. It's based on the common boar.

A180+ Besides being treated as such by spells, an object in D&D is defined as something that has no Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma score. Or rather, anything that has any of those scores is a creature.

While I don't think it's stated as such explicitly in the rules, there's this bit for plants which pretty much implies the same thing:

Regular plants, such as one finds growing in gardens and fields, lack Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores; even though plants are alive, they are objects, not creatures.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want I can try to post some of your questions over to the Paizo boards, maybe we can get attention from the developers... But I wouldn't bet on it. And the normal people wouldn't offer new rule insights, because the rules are just that limited on the subject.
    Perhaps this is a topic better suited for a thread, because even though the questions are simple, the answers are not (mostly because there are non).

Besides large monsters often come with odd rules, like the ability to crush someone under your feet is special ability and not something you can do normally. Even if you are 32 feet and your target is barely 1 feet.

A177
    Also for clarity:
    Possession of a metamagic rod does not confer the associated feat on the owner, only the ability to use the given feat a specified number of times per day.
    So you don't count as possessing the feat, thus you cant use the rod for magic item crafting.

An other argument I saw are that Metamagic Rods are use-activated items and unlike spelltriggers cannot function as a crafting requirement. But I don't got a fancy rule quote for that one.

Still if a DM allows metamagic rods to count, then the spell level wouldn't be increased. But that is indeed home rule terrain. (And leads to unbalance.)

A178 Addendum
    I was mostly looking at natural armor, because that (And size) were the things off at the werebear. And I don't think the natural AC is right. A common boar has 4 Natural AC, lycanthropy would add +2 for a total of 6, but the wereboar I see (I recall the book being the same, but memory is a tricky thing) only has 2 natural AC total in hybrid form.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-07-15 at 05:46 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build