New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

A13 - Addendum

You can also apply a Metamagic feat to a 9th level spell if you can offset the spell level increase, e.g. via the Magical Lineage trait.

2. - Top - End - #32

Q 14
    Hello, I'm new to Pathfinder, and I had a quick question on the Trip Arrows. When they hit a target, do they deal regular damage followed by a trip attempt? Or does it just trip instead of dealing damage? By RAW, if you hit someone with the arrow as an improvised weapon, would it have the same effect? I would suspect that the arrows only trip, and that they would do the same when wielded in melee combat, but I was not sure.

EDIT: Q 15
    Can PCs have templates? if so, what book are they listed in? Are they on the OGL or PFSRD?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Irk; 2014-05-21 at 09:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

A14
    According the maker of the item they don't deal damage. Link.
    Also be careful because the item was written before the Core Rulebook was published, and the text on the PFSRD doesn't match the books text due the changes in the rules and I am unsure abut who updated the online version. (The original text can be found in the topic I linked earlier)

Also improvised weapons don't have special qualities, so I would assume using a weapon with special qualities will lose them. So in the case of the trip arrow it will lose its trip special ability. However you can still use the arrow to trip with, but if you fail the enemy can trip you back. Then again you are better off tripping with your hands, that way you avoid the -4 improvised penalty and avoid rule confusion.

A15
    That is mainly something the DM decides, so ask your DM.
    In general though Pathfinder doesn't really deal with the subject of allowing players to be monsters or have templates, there is a small paragraph of rules in the Bestiary about playing a monster as a PC, also found here online, but that one doesn't name templates at all, so I assume templates are not intended for players. But a DM can always allow it using the same rules as the rules for playing an monster.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q16: With ranged weapons that have a capacity larger than 1, such as a pepperbox firearm, is the rapid shot feat necessary to fire multiple times with a full attack, given that the rotation of the barrel is a free action?
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

A16
    No, just like you said.

Capacity: A firearm’s capacity is the number of shots it can hold at one time. When making a full-attack action, you may fire a firearm as many times in a round as you have attacks, up to this limit, unless you can reload the weapon as a swift or free action while making a full-attack action. In the case of early firearms, capacity often indicates the number of barrels a firearm has. In the case of advanced firearms, it typically indicates the number of chambers the weapon has.
    A pepperbox has a capacity of 6, so can be fired up to 6 times (if you have that many attack) in a full round.

Reloading however still takes a standard action, per barrel (so 6) and Rapid Reload* reduces it to a move action. So when the barrel is empty do you spend a lot of rounds reloading, and Rapid Reload can reduce that time by half.

*I assume you mean Rapid Reload rather then Rapid Shot. Confusing names indeed.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Q17

When summoning multiple creatures with a single spell, do you have to summon them near each other?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

A17
    Depends on the spell, Planar Ally has a clause that states "two called outsiders, [...], which cannot be more than 30 ft. apart when they appear". Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally don't, so those restriction don't apply.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

8. - Top - End - #38

Griffon

@Yanisa - Thanks by the way. I know I pitch of random stuff into this thread.

Q18

The Legacy of Fire player's guide has a sentence stating that a 1st level caster with Create Water will only be able to provide a party with 6 gallons of water, unless they use higher level spell slots. It's never mentioned again, and doesn't really explain it further.

Given LoF is a desert based campaign, is this a campaign rule to make dehydration a threat? Did the writer just get confused with 3.5, when orisons were limited? Is it referencing something else entirely?

9. - Top - End - #39

A18:

Legacy of Fire was released under the 3.5 rule system, the last Pathfinder Adventure Path to be so released.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Q19
    The Paladin Smite has the following line:
    If this target is evil, the paladin adds her Cha bonus (if any) to her attack rolls and adds her paladin level to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite.
    For damage it specifically states all, unlike attack which specifically states her(as in the paladin).
    Does that mean my allies also deal more damage? Does that mean natural hazards deal more damage? Does that mean that when one evil creature betrays its smitten friend he deals more damage?

(I can't find anything on this one, and it seems a very strong use of smite.)

___

Old PF Initiative Build

11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q20

Is there a mechanical (automaton-type) Familiar option available to Wizards in Pathfinder?
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

A20
    Not in the default list, but Improved Familiar opens a lot of options. The most notable is Clockwork Familiar.

The Arbiter might sort off count too, it look like a robot of sorts.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

13. - Top - End - #43

Imp

Q 21

On Handle Animal tricks in combat

If a trained animal knows the tricks defend, guard, attack and down, and basically every morning is told to "defend x", what are the conditions under which it takes action against a possible threat?

The animal defends you (or is ready to defend you if no threat is present), even without any command being given. Alternatively, you can command the animal to defend a specific other character.
    Is it a matter of proximity, completed hostile action or intent alone?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q22a: How does an Undead Lord's free Command Undead feat work with when multiclassing with a wizard specializing in Necromancy? Would the Wizard have to take Turn undead instead?
    Q22b: In the event that it goes Necromancer then Undead Lord, does this mean that they get both their INT and CHA as bonuses to channel or just whichever was first?
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

A21
    There are no extensive rules on how tricks work, even within 3.5 it is kinda vague. So it's a case for ask your DM.

Video Game Logic taught me that animals that are defending only attack after their master is hit, which is perhaps the easiest way to handle it.

A22a
    In general when two different classes/class features give the same feat, or even when you already selected the feat and then get it from a class feature, you only get the benefits of the feat once. The second time you get it, it is wasted. (Unless you can take the feat multiple times.)

So in this case too, if you already have Command Undead from the Undead Lord Archetype, taking it again trough the Necromancy Arcane School does indeed do nothing.

A22b
    Unlike feats, when you get a class feature twice, you get it twice. They don't blend together and become one, they keep being separate. Also having it doesn't prohibit gaining it again.

So in this case too, if you get Channel Energy from the Necromancy Arcane School and one from being a Cleric, you have two different ways of Channel Energy. You get 3+intelligence Channels from being a Necromancer and 3+charisma Channels from being a Cleric.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-05-24 at 11:49 PM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Addendum to Q22b: In this case then, would taking Control Undead still work as a necromancer, as it would then have two pools(3+Int and 3+CHA) to pull from?
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

A22a+A22b Addendum
    My mistake, I thought the Necromancy Arcane School just gave Channel (Negative) Energy.

So indeed when you select Command Undead as bonus feat from your Necromancy Arcane School the feat itself doesn't add anything (everything it adds is already gained by the first Command Undead feat from Undead Lord), but the class feature tied to it gives you more channels for that feat (or the feat from Undead Lord, doesn't matter really).

Or easier said: Yes, you are right.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

18. - Top - End - #48
    Spamalot in the Playground

Q23a: Can a druid wild shape and still gain the benefits of Ice Armor while the spell is active?

Q23b: If no to the first, could he wild shape first and then cast it? Would he have to be immersed in water to put it on?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

A23a
    No, you create a suit of armor (see the spell effect), as per Wild Shape*, the suit would meld into your body and the Armor Class bonus ceases to function.

*Technically Wild Shape emulates Beast Shape, which is a polymorph spell and the polymorph rules state that the gear you wear melds into you and that AC bonuses don't give any effect.

A23b
    Yes, if you have Natural Spell of course. I don't see any limitations on size, wielder and whether the intended wearer must be humanoid or not, so I assume it makes breastplates for everyone. (And there is a thing called barding, aka armor for animals.)

As for putting it on: You don't have to be immersed in water, but you can't put the armor on alone, due the lack of hands to put on armor.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-05-25 at 02:05 PM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    As for putting it on: You don't have to be immersed in water, but you can't put the armor on alone, due the lack of hands to put on armor.
    A23b nitpicking Unless you wildshape into something with hands and thumbs. ;)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Q24

For the Rogue Talents Minor Magic and Major Magic, is the spell choice locked in when the talent is taken, or does the Rogue have the option of changing the spell? If so, when do they have the option of changing it?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

A24
    The choice is locked when you take the talent.

However you can retrain rogue talents. So you could just retrain and pick up minor/major magic again but select a different spell.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

23. - Top - End - #53
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    A23b
    Yes, if you have Natural Spell of course. I don't see any limitations on size, wielder and whether the intended wearer must be humanoid or not, so I assume it makes breastplates for everyone. (And there is a thing called barding, aka armor for animals.)

A23b followup: So you can put it on alone if you are immersed in water, but if not you need help, is that right? (Assuming a handless form of course.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 25: We have a magus who has lost her spell book. To replace all those spells she has is it correct that she must:

1. Pay for a new spell book (or find a replacement one)
    2. Already know the spells in question (prepared or not doesn't matter)
    3. Pay for the materials needed as found here.

Then she can have all her spells back again to use. Right?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

25. - Top - End - #55

RangerGuy

Q26.

Large or larger monster has reach of 10' or more. Poor Jimmy is 10' away. Monster makes grapple on poor Jimmy. What happens to poor Jimmy?

A) He remains at 10'.
    B) He's pulled into any of the monster's square.
    C) He's pulled in a square adjacent to the monster.
    D) All of the above and Poor Jimmy dies.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

A23b followup
    Yup. In water the armor forms around you, otherwise you create an armor that you still need to don. And donning armor seems impossible if you lack hands. [Citation Needed]

A25
    Step 2 is wrong. You need to have the spell prepared. However you can prepare the spell from another Magus (or Wizards) spell book, albeit with a failing chance. (Which is odd, because owning a second hand spellbook doesn't come with preparation failure chance, but rules are rules.)

Replacing and Copying Spellbooks
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    A wizard can use the procedure for learning a spell to reconstruct a lost spellbook. If he already has a particular spell prepared, he can write it directly into a new book at the same cost required to write a spell into a spellbook. The process wipes the prepared spell from his mind, just as casting it would. If he does not have the spell prepared, he can prepare it from a borrowed spellbook and then write it into a new book.
    Wizard Spells and Borrowed Spellbooks
    A wizard can use a borrowed spellbook to prepare a spell he already knows and has recorded in his own spellbook, but preparation success is not assured. First, the wizard must decipher the writing in the book (see Arcane Magical Writings, above). Once a spell from another spellcaster's book is deciphered, the reader must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell's level) to prepare the spell. If the check succeeds, the wizard can prepare the spell. He must repeat the check to prepare the spell again, no matter how many times he has prepared it before. If the check fails, he cannot try to prepare the spell from the same source again until the next day. However, as explained above, he does not need to repeat a check to decipher the writing.
    A26
    The answer is C.

It's hidden in the grapple rules.
    If you successfully grapple a creature that is not adjacent to you, move that creature to an adjacent open space (if no space is available, your grapple fails).
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-05-27 at 03:45 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default Q27

Q27
    Okay, our dm is having an issue. One of our players campaigning against the hells successfully killed asmodeus and gained regeneration while becoming the new lord of the hells. Problem is, hes an 'Unarmed Fighter' who gained immunity to nonlethal damage as a class feature.

Wasn't an issue, but we have another character who wants the title. My question is simple. Is the 'lord of the hells' immune to ALL damage except from holy and epic sources because of that combination of regeneration and non-lethal damage immunity?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

A27
    Unlike 3.5, Pathfinder Regeneration does not convert lethal damage to non lethal damage, so his class abilities are unrelated to his near immortality.
    Instead a creature with regeneration cannot die as long as his regeneration still functions. He still can get lethal damage and fall unconscious when his hit points go below zero, but does not die from the damage unless/until his regeneration is stopped. (Which happens in the round after he gets hit by holy or epic damage it seems.)

He is not immune to all damage.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default Q27

Q27
    Thank you! As you can tell, we're 3.5 converts and some small changes like that slip past us.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

A27 Addendum
    Yeah Paizo did a lot of minor changes, it can be sometimes annoying if you have had 3.5 experience.

Besides that the reason why they changed Regeneration is because they changed nonlethal damage. They fixed the fact nonlethal damage cannot kill you (which lead to silly things like not eating doesn't lead to dead in 3.5) by making any nonlethal past your total hit points into lethal damage. Thus a creature with 3.5 regeneration, but pathfinder nonlethal rules would still die from his non-lethal injuries, which is not the intend of regeneration, hence they changed regeneration. (The more you know, and knowing is half the battle.)

Also, just something to note, but being immune to nonlethal damage and fatigue/exhaustion also means you don't have to eat, drink or sleep, worry about weather and you can run all day at top speed without getting tired. Just a silly it of extra info while I am add it.

___

Old PF Initiative Build