New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

Q28

My current group is playing with "Retraining' where you can swap out feats and such during 'down time.'

From what I have read, it's designed to switch out low level or weak feats/abilities for ones for new abilities/powers in case you made a mistake or found something doesn't work well. The example I read was switching out your level one feat for a new feat you wouldn't have met the requirements for at level one, which intrigues me.

Can this be used to get rid of a feat tax? Say I take Weapon Finesse, then later take Dervish dance. Could I then retrain to switch out Weapon finesse for another feat (say improved initiative for an example) while still keeping the powers/abilities of Dervish dance?

I've seen plenty of opinions on this, but was wondering if there was ever an official ruling on this. The idea seems to be to keep a mid/late late character powerful/relevant, and what would be more useful to that then ditching a worthless feat tax? It makes sense to me and seems to fit the spirit of the rule, but I can't find an official ruling. Anyone know?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

A28
    Nope, you don't get rid of feat tax.

You may change one feat to another through retraining. Retraining a feat takes 5 days with a character who has the feat you want. The old feat can't be one you used as a prerequisite for a feat, class feature, archetype, prestige class, or other ability. If the old feat is a bonus feat granted by a class feature, you must replace it with a feat that you could choose using that class feature.
    (Source)
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q29:
    A Wizard in my campaign has the Mythic Feat - Flexible Counterspell. He wishes to spontaneously counter a Fireball spell. He spends the Mythic Point. Fireball is neither memorized nor in his spell book.

The PC Wizard argues that as the Feat description states "...instead of using the exact spell or dispel magic..." (emphasis mine); ie. a Fireball spell to Counterspell a Fireball spell, there is no Counterspell check rolled.

I have argued that as the wording at the beginning of the Feat states "...attempt to counter a spell..." (again, emphasis mine) he needs to roll a Counterspell check.

Does the PC Wizard roll a Counterspell check when utilizing this feat to counter a spell he does not have in either memory or spellbook, or is the spell automatically countered, as if by a prepared Fireball spell (in this case)?

Thanx in advance

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

A29
    I am unsure what you mean by a Counterspell check (there is no such thing?) but there are two other rolls involved with Counterspells. A Spellcraft check to identify the spell, and if you use dispel magic, a dispel check.
    The former, spellcraft, is unmodified by the text of Flexible Counterspell, and specially called out by the line "This ability otherwise works like readying an action to counter a spell". (The other parts of Counterspell are overwritten by Flexible Counterspell, so it's the only one left one the line could call out.)
    The latter, dispel, is only when you use dispel magic, Flexible Counterspell let's you counter with anything and doesn't care for the original spell. See the line: "instead of using the exact spell or dispel magic". (This seems to be a way to still use Dispel Magic to counter, but no longer roll the Dispel check.)

So your player doesn't have to roll a Counterspell check or a Dispel check, but he does need to roll a Spellcraft check to identify the spell being cast.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Q30: When you apply the giant template, do you just add the stats bonuses from the template or from both the size increase and the template?
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2014-05-29 at 05:06 AM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

A30
    Just the ones from the template.

It is a simple template and does not take in account that different size changes come with different stats. For example going from fine to diminutive should give other size bonuses then going from medium to large, but the template threat both the same. Just to keep the template rules simple so a DM can apply them on the fly.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-05-29 at 05:03 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q31: Are the "protection from" spells considered separate spells or one spell with four options?

The confusion stems from it being listed on one line in the spell list (Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law) but having separate entries for each spell.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

A31
    Because they have separate entries they are different spells. Compare and contrast to "Blindness/Deafness" which also has a slash, but unlike the protection spells there is only one entry.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q32: would a sorcerer be able to use a spell book, and use it as a reference of sorts to scribe a scroll/learn the spell/cast the spell, even if it's not on THEIR spell list?
    Apparently a Draconic Sorcerer has enough Dragon's blood to get wings, but not enough to take Half-Dragon Paragon levels. I feel cheated.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

A32
    No. Unlike scrolls, a spellbook is not magical and cannot assist anyone outside wizards and other classes that specifically have the spellbook class feature.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Q33: For Intellect Devourers, they can cast inflict serious wounds and invisibility at will (along with other spells), but they cannot speak outside of a host. Does that mean that they cannot use any of their at will spell-like abilities when not in a host?

Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

A33: Sorry for clogging the forums, I found my own answer...

A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus. The user activates it mentally. Armor never affects a spell-like ability's use, even if the ability resembles an arcane spell with a somatic component.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Sp...-Abilities-Sp-

Thanks anyway!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Q34

Let's say a character takes the Humble Beginnings trait and picks "boot." Does this mean if he picks up a longspear, he now threatens at both 10' and 5' as long as he's wearing at least 1 boot? Would a boot be considered one handed, two handed, or off hand for purposes of things like strength bonus and power attack?

Q35

As a follow up to the above, can one enchant a boot as a magic weapon? Would such a thing occupy the foot slot, or work like a normal weapon and a hand slot (can use both)? If it occupies the slot, can you apply an enhancement bonus to wondrous items and use them as improvised weapons, using the multiple different abilities rules to determine cost?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

A34
    First off, I think the intend of Humble Beginnings to use any of the listed as an actual weapon, rather then wearing the item to gain some weird improvised unarmed strike. However this is not that the rules offer us, instead mechanically we get something similar to a improvised Gauntlet. The short answer would be; Treat the boot as a Gauntlet, but like Gauntlets there are some grey areas.
    Now on to the questions.

Yes, you would threaten both at 5ft and 10ft.
    Also it will most likely be an Unarmed Atrike, like a Gauntlet, thus would be considered as Light Weapon for feats and strength damage. (And for power attack, light weapons are basically one handed weapons you cannot wield in two hands thus you cannot gain the 50% bonus damage. You still get the full normal damage unless you use the glove as a offhand attack.)

A35
    Well it is not really clarified in the rules and discussions go either way. I say you most likely can (they are still weapons, improvised, but weapons), but check with your DM first.
    As whether it conflict with the boot slot, it is also not very clear. Similar to Gauntlets, harsh reading of the rules states that a Magical Gauntlet would take up the hand slot (Gauntlets are listed under hand slot items), but at the other side it is a weapon and weapons are not limited (you can wield as many weapons as you have hands, but only one pair of magical gloves) plus weapons have their own slot that would not interfere with other slots. Again I would allow it (weapon first, boot second), but check with your DM first.
    In both cases there is no clear RAW answer, but even with the Non-Improvised Core Weapon Gauntlet you get the same problems.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q36: How would taking levels in both Wizard and Sorcerer work? I'm trying to figure out how a Sorcerer who classes into Wizard after a few levels would work for spells, seeing as they use the same list.
    Q36a: Would the level of spells stack, so that a Sorcerer 1/Wizard 2: get 3rd level spells?
    Q36a: If a is true, I would imagine that they would be limited to spontaneously casting only their spells from the sorcerer levels, correct?
    Last edited by torrasque666; 2014-05-31 at 06:45 PM.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q37.

Could a level one fighter pick Weapon focus as a starting feat?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Q38 Is it possible for an Oracle to pick up a Cleric domain, e.g. with a feat or archetype? Alternatively, is it possible for a Cleric to pick up an Oracle Revelation? (other than by multiclassing orac/cler)
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

A36
    The spells and caster levels still won't stack, even if they have the same general spell list. You would track spells per day, highest spell level, caster level and other features per class, similar to a Cleric/Wizard multiclass. (In general no spell casting from a base class stacks with any other spell casting from a base class, regardless from which spell list they gain their spells.)

A37
    Yes. (As long as he is proficient with the chosen weapon, obviously.)

A38
    Beyond multiclassing/dipping I don't know of an option.

Well, maybe you can get away with UMDing a Ring of Revelation. Even though James Jacobs Creative Director said it wouldn't work, I disagree. UMD allows you to "Emulate a Class Feature" not "Emulate a Class", but it is still a dubious option at best.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

19. - Top - End - #79
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Q39

Let's say a character has a bite and 2 claw attacks. He is also holding a bow.

a) On a full attack with the bow, he can make his iteratives with a bow, and then make a secondary with a bite. Can he also make a secondary attack with his free claw? Or does it count as used for the round because he was using a bow?

b) Further, is there a defined order in which this character would have to make his full attacks? If adjacent to an enemy, could he choose to full attack, using his secondary natural attacks first, then 5-foot step in the middle of a sequence to then use his iteratives? I know he must go from highest to lowest on his iteratives, but am unsure how natural attacks fit into it.

c) Let's say the character with a bow is now engaged in dedicated melee. The FAQ/Errata lists that it's a free action to let go of and re-grab a weapon. Can he make a bite attack, make a claw attack, switch the bow to the other claw using 2 free actions, then make another claw attack? Or is he limited to bite + claw while holding a bow?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Q40 Alter Self states that if I turn into a medium creature, I get a +2 size bonus to strength. Do I understand correctly that if I am already a medium creature and then turn into another medium creature, I still get that bonus?

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

A39A
    It counts as used for this full attack. Using a weapon in a limb with a natural attack, in this case claw, means you cannot use your natural attack that round. Its hidden in the Natural Attack section with this line:
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    Creatures with natural attacks and attacks made with weapons can use both as part of a full attack action (although often a creature must forgo one natural attack for each weapon clutched in that limb, be it a claw, tentacle, or slam)
    A39B
    Even though the paragraph on full attacks specifically names calls out extra attacks from base attack bonus, it is most likely that you make all your attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. This is also how the Bestiary portrays every creature's full attack. (See for a decent example with weapon and natural attacks see the Tanuki.)

A39C
    Although the FAQ you mention does not allow it (the second free action is to grasp the item with both hands), it would most likely be the same amount of effort (or you could do with three free actions). I agree you would be able to deal 2 claws attacks, but it is not really covered by the rules or FAQ.

A40
    Yup. No reason to assume you don't get that bonus, polymorph spells are written with small/medium humanoid (player) characters as the main target.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-06-01 at 03:01 PM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHEart10 View Post
    Q32: would a sorcerer be able to use a spell book, and use it as a reference of sorts to scribe a scroll/learn the spell/cast the spell, even if it's not on THEIR spell list?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    A32
    No. Unlike scrolls, a spellbook is not magical and cannot assist anyone outside wizards and other classes that specifically have the spellbook class feature.
    First a clarification:
    A32.1
    While having a spellbook in front of him may not help the sorcerer immediately, he can use it to learn a new Sorc/Wiz spell the next time he levels up. For example, if your DM has initially limited you to spells from the Core Rulebook, but you defeat an enemy wizard and capture his spellbook, and it contains spells from Ultimate Magic, then such spells are valid for you to take as spells known the next time you level, assuming you gain a new spell known of that level.

This is a good way for DMs who were initially restrictive to start allowing new spells into their game.

Now, I have a question of my own:
    Q41
    I'm new to Pathfinder, and a buddy gave me access to all of his books. I'm having trouble finding information on what exactly the Earthfall Cataclysm was. In what book would I find that information? As well as the other cataclysm (I think I remember hearing of another one).
    Last edited by RedMage125; 2014-06-01 at 05:38 PM.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

A41 (incomplete) What I gather from this and that is that roughly 5000 years ago meteors crashed onto Golarion (which where actually space ships). They blotted out the sun and created an "Age of Darkness", similar to a short Ice Age. What I get from this is that the incident is called "Earthfall" and "Starfall" in different sources (meaning the same thing).
    Last edited by Spore; 2014-06-01 at 05:45 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Q42
    If one of a wizard's two hands is full, can he utilize a metamagic rod when casting a spell with a somatic component?
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

A42
    No. You need to hold a rod in order to use it and you need at least one free hand to cast spells with a somatic component.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Q42
    If one of a wizard's two hands is full, can he utilize a metamagic rod when casting a spell with a somatic component?
    A42 addendum, I believe the answer is "yes" if you've got additional limbs somehow, such as with the Alchemist's extra arms discovery, or a Tiefling's prehensile tail trait.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Q43 If you have natural attacks as say a Dragon Disciple, can you trigger spells like Elemental Touch via an Attack action? If yes can you do one or several attacks with that?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q44: Can an Eidolon with multiple arms use them like a Thri-keen from 3.5 to dual wield two-handed weapons?
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

A43
    Yes, but one attack only.

From the PFSRD: Elemental Touch
    You also deal energy damage and the related special effect when you attack with your hands using an unarmed strike, a single claw, or a single slam attack. This bonus damage can never apply to multiple weapons.
    In case you were asking about the more general rule. In most cases you need to hold the charge of the touch spell, and then you can deliver the spell next turn with an attack action, but it gets discharged on the first hit (unless the spell allows more hits). Elemental Touch seems to be an exception.

A44
    There is no real ruling on this subject, so you probably can. Just be wary about some wonky rules, you only have 1 main hand and 3 off-hands and there are no rules for holding a Twohanded weapon with 2 off-hands, but most likely you will deal less damage, as per the off-hand rules.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-06-03 at 01:14 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    A44
    There is no real ruling on this subject, so you probably can. Just be wary about some wonky rules, you only have 1 main hand and 3 off-hands and there are no rules for holding a Twohanded weapon with 2 off-hands, but most likely you will deal less damage, as per the off-hand rules.
    A44.1
    Going off the way 3.5e handled that, with Multiweapon Fighting, you are correct. Any attack made with a weapon in an "off hand" only uses 1/2 the wielder's STR bonus.

So fighting with 2 double weapons would be one end of one weapon would get full STR bonus, and the others would all be 1/2.

But going off the rules for 2-handed weapons adding half and again, I would say that a 4 armed creature with a STR of 18 (+4 bonus) using 2 greatswords would get a +6 damage bonus with the "Primary" set of arms, and a +3 with the "secondary" set of arms.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.