New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 63 FirstFirst ... 520212223242526272829303132333435363738394055 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

A245: While taking damage can impose the broken condition, I don't see anywhere that says the reverse has to be true. So what you would have is a full-HP item that is broken, similar to a firearm that has misfired.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #872
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q245 b
    So would the damage repair from Living Steel repair the shield?

3. - Top - End - #873
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q426 actually

Can a monk that has the touch of serenity feat substitute it for an attack as part of a flurry of blows action, the way they can sub in stunning fist?

Q427

Are there any magical items or potions that let you see through (ignore) illusions?
    Last edited by Rickshaw; 2014-10-21 at 06:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #874

A245b: By strict RAW, the only ways to fix a broken weapon are with a skill check, mending or make whole. I would argue however that anything capable of healing objects should work - i.e. living steel applies healing, broken checks for the condition "IF CURRENTHP > 50%(MAXHP), ARMOR.BROKEN = FALSE" and removes the broken condition because it detects that your gear is over half hitpoints. But again, this is not RAW; your DM will have to weigh in here.

A426: Anyone can - Touch of Serenity replaces one (or more) of your attacks. (It's more beneficial for monks of course since they get more of them - Lotus Monks, to be precise - and probably have decent Wis.)

A427: Truesight Goggles will definitely do the trick but they are on the pricey side. A much more budget option are Lenses of Figment Piercing, though obviously the application and effectiveness are much more limited there.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #875
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q428

((Making a wizard is hard, sorry for all the questions)

I was wondering about spells like flesh to stone, and/or Polymorph any object. If I turn that level 20 orc fighter in mithral plate mail into a stone with the former or a bunny rabbit with the latter... are there any official rules of you go about finishing it off? Do I attack the creature's original ac and hit points, is a coup de grace to kill it, or do I need to look up a statue/rabbit's stats? Clarification would be lovely. Thanks!
    Last edited by Odessa333; 2014-10-22 at 11:35 AM.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q429

(Vampires are complicated)

Does Sunburst and similar spells/effects still destroy a Vampire under Protective Penumbra?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Troll in the Playground

A 428

The respective spells address this in their descriptions and both seem to be similar.

Flesh to Stone:
    If the statue resulting from this spell is broken or damaged, the subject (if ever returned to its original state) has similar damage or deformities.
    Polymorph any Object:
    Damage taken by the new form can result in the injury or death of the polymorphed creature. In general, damage occurs when the new form is changed through physical force.
    So if you, for instance, take a hammer and chisel and chisel off the head of the statue, that would generally kill the creature unless beheading wouldn't normally kill the creature. With a hammer and chisel and a little time, you could probably thoroughly dispatch just about anything. If you're trying to do it quickly in the middle of combat, that's presumably based on the hardness of stone and hp of the statue. I don't know of elaboration beyond that anywhere in the rules.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

8. - Top - End - #878

A428: Yes, you need the stats of a bunny and a statue in these situations. (Unless you used PAO to duplicate baleful polymorph, in which case, see beast shape III.)

A429: Yes, because the Sunburst will dispel it as a lower-level darkness effect. Nothing there to protect them = reflex save vs. death.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #879
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

A 429 ?

Are you sure of this Psyren? I asked this same question on the paizo forums earlier, and their ruling was

"Protective Penumbra negates the effect of your vulnerability trait, but does not make you immune to all light-based effects. So you still take damage (increased undead damage in fact) but aren't automatically destroyed if you fail your save."

I'm not a 'pro' (I ask enough questions here to prove that!) so I'm in no position to make rule judgements, but figure this should be noted and/or clarified.

10. - Top - End - #880

A429: The fact that it suppresses your vulnerability isn't relevant, because Sunburst says: "Sunburst dispels any darkness spells of lower than 9th level within its area." PP is a darkness spell and so will get completely obliterated by the Sunburst the moment it is cast.

The question then becomes - "does Sunburst's magic get used up removing your protection, or does it remove the PP right away followed by you having to make your save?" That's the part that isn't clear, but personally I would rule the latter - to Sunburst, it would be as though the PP wasn't there to begin with. But that part could go either way.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #881
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The question then becomes - "does Sunburst's magic get used up removing your protection, or does it remove the PP right away followed by you having to make your save?" That's the part that isn't clear, but personally I would rule the latter - to Sunburst, it would be as though the PP wasn't there to begin with. But that part could go either way.
    That's exactly the same question that was raised for me. Since Sunburst is instantaneous I would be inclined to go with the former. The penumbra protects the vampire one time and gets dispelled. Now cast a second Sunburst to harm the vampire. Admittedly not RAW though.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

12. - Top - End - #882

Q 430

What are the actions to do the following (can it be done in a round)
    Swift: Cast quickened spell via a rod
    ?????: Put away rod and take out another item (this is the question)
    Standard: Perform a standard action.
    Avatar of Vlad Taltos and Loiosh by Bradakhan

13. - Top - End - #883
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q431a:

How many tiny creatures can fit into a square occupied by a small or medium creature?

The rules are clear that up to four tiny creatures can occupy the same square, and that a tiny creature must move into another creature's square to attack it. But I can't find rules on determining how many creatures of different sizes can occupy the same square.

Example: If I control 4 tiny vipers and want to attack a human, how many of them can I move into the human's square to attack him?

Q431b:

If the answer to Q431a is a number greater than 1 (lets call it N), if I summoned those tiny creatures with a Summon Monster V spell, could I summon N of those creatures directly into the square occupied by the human, assuming that square in range?

14. - Top - End - #884

A430: Putting away an item is a move action, and so is drawing one - normally. However, with Quick Draw (because rods are also maces, they are weapons) you can pull one as a free action, thus letting you complete the entire sequence in one turn. Alternatively, you can drop the rod instead of putting it away - also a free action.

A431a: All 4 of them would fit in the square with the medium creature. As long as the square is not fully occupied (e.g. by a wall) it doesn't matter that the medium creature is there. (This would be represented by the vipers et al. crawling all over him, similar to a swarm.)

A431b: This is less clear, but since Summon Swarm lets you summon creatures of this size (rats are Tiny) on top of other creatures I would say this is possible.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #885

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A430: Putting away an item is a move action, and so is drawing one - normally. However, with Quick Draw (because rods are also maces, they are weapons) you can pull one as a free action, thus letting you complete the entire sequence in one turn. Alternatively, you can drop the rod instead of putting it away - also a free action.
    I'm afraid that my plan for a Fastball Special using rod-quickened Haste, a Waxen Image, and a willing Rogue requires the order to be kept "Haste first". Quickdraw will not work with a wax image and is thus of no value to me. Luckily, that means I have no reason to take an otherwise unnecessary Feat for a simple parlor trick. As I will not drop an important rod either, I'll just need to plan ahead and cast Haste in a prior round.
    Avatar of Vlad Taltos and Loiosh by Bradakhan

16. - Top - End - #886

PaladinGuy

Q432a
    When using the Create Spell Tattoo (Su) from the Tattooed sorcerer, it says that tattoos on him/her self do not count ageist his/her tattoo limit, dose that mean i have no limit to the spell tattoos on myself?

Q432b
    It also says that you can create a spell tattoo as a slandered action, but spell tattoo the feat linked said tattoos cost 4x that of a normal scroll, is this base cost, and dose this effect the time it takes to make a tattoo, since scribe scroll states if a spell cost more then 250 gp is takes a day for each 1000gp

17. - Top - End - #887

A432a: No, there are limits. For regular spell tattoos, it is one per body slot (though you can still wear items in those slots.) For the TS ability, you can only have one - if you use the ability again, it will overwrite your previous tattoo. In addition, you can only use the ability 3x per day.

A432b: The regular tattoo rules don't apply; this class feature is a standard action to activate and doesn't cost you anything. That's why you can only use cheap spells and only have one at a time. You can use the tattoo rules normally if you want more.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ettin in the Playground

Q434:

From the SRD:
    Ammunition (Bow): Arrow(s), Thistle

These barbed arrows are crafted from the thistles of a poisonous plant, causing pain to persist beyond the initial injury.

Benefit: Thistle arrows deal damage as a bleed effect for 1d6 rounds.
    How much damage do they deal each round? Do they deal the same amount of damage as the initial attack dealt?
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2014-10-25 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Forgot the question number. Sorry!
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

19. - Top - End - #889

MindFlayer

Q 433

The Dhampir favored class bonus for cleric says that it adds "+1 to the caster level of any channeling feat used to affect undead" (emphasis added). Now, Channel Energy itself is based on cleric level, not caster level; the Channeling Feats all likewise appear to be based off cleric level (or, presumably, w/e class you get the ability to channel energy from). So in order for the favored class bonus to have any use whatsoever, unless I'm missing something it has to be read as "+1 to the effective cleric level of any channeling feat ..."

Assuming this is true (please tell me if it's not), it definitely interacts with certain feats, e.g. Command Undead. However, what is the outer limit on "used to affect undead"? Could you use Selective Channeling and gain the bonus, since you are selecting to affect the undead in your area? If you normally channel negative energy, could you use Versatile Channeler to channel positive energy to harm undead and gain the favored class bonus to your effective class level?

20. - Top - End - #890

A434: Though this line is not mentioned in the PFSRD, these refer back to the old Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting sourcebook, which states: "They deal normal damage but then become embedded in the wound and deal an additional 1 point of damage each round for 1d6 rounds from their irritating sap." This was altered to be bleed damage rather than coming from sap in the update, but the amount should be the same.

A435: As written you're right, they don't do anything because channel feats refer to "cleric level" rather than "caster level." But my bet is that this is a typo and it is meant to say "cleric level." It makes sense after all that dhampir clerics should have an easier time affecting undead than other races. You may have to talk to your DM on this one.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

Q 444

Suppose I have a multiclassed barbarian 3 / whatever 3, or skald 3 / whatever 3. Is there some feat, trait, item or otherwise that would increase my effective barbarian (or skald) level, e.g. to allow me to pick a higher-level rage power (similar to how the Magical Knack trait would do this for a multiclass wizard's caster level)?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

22. - Top - End - #892
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q445
    What happends when a low-level spellcaster attempts to cast a high-level spell from a scroll and fails the required caster level check but succeeds on the Wisdom check to avoid a mishap?
    Does the spell take effect? Is the scroll consumed?

Spoiler: Relevant rules passage
    Show
    If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell's caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll's caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap (see Scroll Mishaps). A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers.

23. - Top - End - #893

Kurald: I don't know of any but I'll leave your question open in case somebody else does.

A445: No, the scroll isn't used up.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #894

Griffon

Default QRe: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

Q446

I've got a player trying to convince me Aldori dueling swords fall under elven weapon familiarity. I can't find anything saying that, so I'm saying no for the moment, but don't want to deny something he should be able to use. Anyone got an official source listing it as an elven weapon? (I'm not going to try to ask anyone to prove a negative.)

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: QRe: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

Q447 What's the best way (e.g. feats/traits/items) to increase my caster level check? As in, the check to overcome spell resistance and so forth.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

26. - Top - End - #896

A446: Yeah, I'm not finding anything to support this at all, especially given that there are barely any elves in Brevoy (where the Aldori Swordpact originates.) The closest I can find is that the Dueling Sword functions as a longsword if you have MWP for it, but it is still a separate weapon, and even if Elves did have proficiency with it (they don't), they would still need EWP to finesse with it, which is likely what he wants to do.

A447 suggestion: I would say this falls under the guidelines in the OP on questions that should have their own thread - not only is "best" subjective, there are many ways out there of doing this - boosting CL in general, boosting CL checks directly, rerolling d20 rolls, and there are feats/items/spells/traits for many or all of these.

If you make a thread for this question I can contribute some of the ways I know, but this is exhaustive enough that you will want more than one person contributing.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #897
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q448:

Ring of Spell Knowledge is CL7. Page of Spell Knowledge is CL17. These two items are extremely similar in function, but quite different in difficult to craft. Is there an errata or other rule that I'm missing that makes the creation DC of these items closer together?

28. - Top - End - #898

Quote Originally Posted by Raphite1 View Post
    Q448:

Ring of Spell Knowledge is CL7. Page of Spell Knowledge is CL17. These two items are extremely similar in function, but quite different in difficult to craft. Is there an errata or other rule that I'm missing that makes the creation DC of these items closer together?
    A448: Yes. To summarize the clarification linked - the caster level of an item is just the typical CL you will find that item at "in the wild," so to speak. It is not the required CL to create the item. There can be Pages of Spell Knowledge below CL17, just like there can be pearls of power below CL17.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #899
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Q 449

There are several Magic Weapon special abilities that appear on the Ranged Weapon Special Abilities table that do not have footnote 3, denoting that weapons with those abilities bestow these powers upon their ammunition. This would seem to make some of those abilities useless if placed on a Ranged Weapon. Specific examples are:

- Conductive, Cruel, Huntsman, and Planar

There are other abilities without the footnote, but most do not seem related to damage, or even to combat, such as Glamered and Jurist.

Conductive, Cruel and Planar also appear on the Ammunition Special Abilities table, but no Huntsman.

Specifically, I have a character with a +1, Planar, Bane (Evil Outsider) Crossbow that is about to encounter an Evil Outsider with DR. Does Planar apply to bolts fired from the crossbow? Or should I have put Planar on a bundle of 50 +1 bolts? And if on the bolts, why is Planar on the Ranged Weapon table?

Notes:

Conductive (Ultimate Equipment) allows the wielder to channel SP and SU abilities through the weapon. On a hit the target is affected by both the weapon damage and the ability.

Cruel (Ultimate Equipment) can Sicken an opponent on a successful hit.

Huntsman (Ultimate Equipment) deals 1d6 extra damage to a target that has been Tracked, yet the description says nothing about this damage passing to ammunition.

Planar (Ultimate Equipment) ignores 5 points of an Outsider's DR.
    Last edited by Lord of Shadows; 2014-10-28 at 03:45 AM.
    "Save your tears, my fetid friends, the dead have Wept enough!"
    The Tears of Blood Campaign Setting Updated 15 Dec 2019
    From the Tears of Blood GiTP Forums 2004-09: "20 million dead. Whatcha gonna do with 20 million dead? You can’t bury ‘em, no time or energy to dig the graves. You could chuck ‘em somewhere out of the way. Or you could burn ‘em. But, but what if those things angered someone, or put a bad curse on 'em? Maybe gettin’ rid of ‘em is better. Just a thought. Hey, you could help us!"

30. - Top - End - #900

PaladinGuy

According to the 9th level alternate ability from Tattooed Sorcerer, i can make any spell i have that dose not have a costly material component into a spell like ability. after reading "spell component pouch" and "eschew materials" a costly component seems to be any component that has a value in it, such as 50gp ruby. since any component without a gp cost next to is is considered in the pouch. and eschew make anything in the pouch not needed. so do that mean, any spell i can cast from my pouch is eligible for the Enhanced Magical Tattoo?