New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

A41: The details of those events can be found in The Inner Sea World Guide, the campaign setting book for Golarion.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Q45

"A few very powerful monsters are vulnerable only to epic weapons—that is, magic weapons with at least a +6 enhancement bonus. Such creatures' natural weapons are also treated as epic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction."

Does this mean that a creature with epic DR that uses natural attacks ignores all other DR except B/P/S/-?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

A45
    The literally, RAW, wording seems to point to yes, your weapons are treated as +6 for overcoming DR, and weapons of +6 would also ignore cold iron, silver, adamantine and alignment based DR.

In practice there are a couple of monsters that have DR/Epic and Alignment (Mythic Rakshasa) or DR/Epic and Magic (Julunggali) or even ones with the metal ones. (Demon Lord, Baphomet has DR/cold iron, epic, and good). If the answer was yes, and epic would ignore alignment/magic/metal based DR, these double DR would be pointless. Thus that means there is a way to bypass epic, but not alignment/magic/metal based DR. Creatures with DR/Epic could be one of those, but the RAW doesn't really support that answer. I do like to point this out, because it's at least an odd oversight.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

4. - Top - End - #94

Q46 Is a Simulacrum the same Type as the original (Humanoid, Outsider, Undead, whatever)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Q46 I think the alchemical discoveries Alchemical Simulacrum and Doppelganger Simulacrum gives us insight into the developer's intention:

The created simulacrum is a creature, not a supernatural effect.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/u...ger-simulacrum
    So no, the created shadow illusion is a spell effect and supernatural in nature. Thusly it has no type or subtype. It might as well be an object with the described HP and saves, skills, abilities and spells.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q47

Part 1: Confirm/Deny: I thought that one could use the pummel of most swords (Long Swords, Scimitars, etc.) as a blunt improvised weapon, netting a -4 penalty. Is that right?

Part 2: I am looking at the feat "Catch off Guard" which would negate the -4, but it also states "Unarmed opponents are flat-footed against any attacks you make with an improvised melee weapon." Would any unarmed opponent then be flat footed if I used the pummel of my sword? If I'm a rogue and they are flat footed, I then get my sneak attack damage, yes?

I had the idea of a rogue disarming opponents, and getting sneak attacks with the pummel of my blade as unarmed opponents are now flat footed. Would this work?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa333 View Post
    Q47

Part 1: Confirm/Deny: I thought that one could use the pummel of most swords (Long Swords, Scimitars, etc.) as a blunt improvised weapon, netting a -4 penalty. Is that right?

Part 2: I am looking at the feat "Catch off Guard" which would negate the -4, but it also states "Unarmed opponents are flat-footed against any attacks you make with an improvised melee weapon." Would any unarmed opponent then be flat footed if I used the pummel of my sword? If I'm a rogue and they are flat footed, I then get my sneak attack damage, yes?

I had the idea of a rogue disarming opponents, and getting sneak attacks with the pummel of my blade as unarmed opponents are now flat footed. Would this work?
    If that works, that is quite clever. Even if it doesn't, Kudos. That is an intriguing line of thinking.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

A47 Part 1
    It is not specifically called out (in pathfinder) thus, like many improvised weapons, it's up to your DM. The specific rules do talk about objects not normally used as weapons, not weapons used in an unconventional matter. However there are no rules for using a weapon in an unconventional matter, so it might as well act like an improvised weapon.

A47 Part 2
    Yes, if you manage to disarm an enemy and you yourself are armed with an improvised weapon, you get to sneak attack.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-06-04 at 12:12 AM.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Q48
    Can you use Litany of Righteousness with Improved Share Spells feat?
    If so, what is half the duration of a one round spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

A48
    Well the rules would allow it, but the half duration means the duration would be 0 rounds, as per the rounding glossary.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

11. - Top - End - #101

Q49 The rules for the downtime system indicate that combining the checks to generate GP or capital should result in the same earnings on average. For instance:

If you have multiple buildings or organizations in a settlement and they can generate the same kind of capital, you don't have to roll for them separately—you may add all their capital modifiers together and attempt one check for that kind of capital.
    However, your earnings for a check seem to be modifier+roll sp, or modifier+10 if you take 10. Surely by combining the checks you miss out on the increase for the second roll, ie 10sp/day/check? Am I missing something, or are the downtime rules RAW broken in this regard?

Edit: Downtime rules for reference
    Last edited by pi4t; 2014-06-04 at 10:57 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    A48
    Well the rules would allow it, but the half duration means the duration would be 0 rounds, as per the rounding glossary.
    Ah, so, by RAW any way, it works if I Extend spell it. Since those are damn cheap, and/or Blessing of Fervour is an awesome spell anyway, that's still pretty neat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

13. - Top - End - #103

Griffon

Q50

Clerics can leave spell slots open to prepare later in the day.

A cleric can “lose” any prepared spell that is not an orison or domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower.

This seems to suggest these open slots can't be used to spontaneously cast cure/inflict spells. Am I reading that right? Are there any rules/faq/errata to the contrary?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q 51: Can a non-spellbook using class such as a sorcerer still write spells they know in a spellbook, even though they won't gain any use of it?
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

A49
    I ain't no expert, but it seems to be a oversight. I can't find any clarification but that shouldn't be needed as you could just take the better paying option.

A50
    BY RAW you are right, and it might be on purpose. Spontaneous casting specifically calls it "stored spell energy" and "any prepared spell", where as open slots are... well open... There is room in your slots to store spells but you haven't actually put spell energy in it, there is no energy to convert to healing (or damage).
    But I can't find any clarification, but it was already an issue in 3.5 and never got solved there.

A51
    Nope, like anything related to spells book, you need to be a wizard, or have a class feature stating you can use spellsbooks as a wizard could (Like Alchemist and Magus). Spellsbooks and all text related to spellbooks specifically call out wizards after all.

However a Sorcerer can write a spell on a scroll with scribe scroll, which a wizard can transcribe in his spellbook.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

16. - Top - End - #106

Q 52: Is there any way to acquire the constrict, entrap, grab, or trip special attack on a creature/character that does not normally have it? I am already aware of the final embrace feat, but need constrict to qualify as a non-naga.

Q 53: Is there any way to acquire improved trip or improved disarm (or the benefits of either feat) without combat expertise? Specifically, I'd like the ability to trip or disarm without provoking attacks of opportunity.

Q 54: Is there a way to give an undead creature a constitution score, or is there precedent for undead creatures which possess a constitution score?
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-06-05 at 07:02 PM.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

17. - Top - End - #107

Imp

Q 55

Does the Bonus to damage rolls of divine favor apply to ranged touch attacks and rays, since weapon focus (ranged touch/ray) are possible?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 56

When the Beast Totem rage power (and similar ones) says that the AC bonus increases by +1 for every 4 levels, is that character levels or Barbarian class levels?
    Previous avatar by Sgt. Pepper.

Previous avatar by Akrim.elf.

Current avatar by Cdr.Fallout

Old Desert Sayings, my RPG blog (mostly Pathfinder homebrew).

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Responding to stress with rudeness is not the same as responding to stress with genocide.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

A52
    The easy answer are the various Polymorph Spells, especially Beast Shape.
    Another all around option all around option is a Summoner/Synthesist, because the Eidolon have access to those abilities.

A couple of trip ones:
    Skirmisher (Ranger Archetype) has an ability named Upending Strike that allows you to Trip after an successful hit. 5 Levels of investment though.
    An Order of the Seal Cavalier can make a free trip attempt during a full round attack on the target is his challenge. Any 11th level Cavalier can make a free trip after a charge.
    There are more free trip attempt after specific other actions (Like Crits or Bull rush) but I don't think you are looking for those.

An Alchemist can gain an tentacle which has grab.

Also a White-Haired Witch gains Constrict, and Free Trip Attempts after an attack.

But a lot of these are locked to classes and require levels of investment. I can't find any feats or the like for easier access.

A53
    The easy answer is Monk, they can choose those feats without having the prerequisite at level 6 as a bonus feat.
    Another way around is using weapons with reach.

Beyond that you are stuck to the feat tax.

A54
    No, it's a set trait for being undead. But even having a constitution score won't do anything for Undead as any ability that is normal keyed to Constitution works on Charisma for an undead.

A55
    Yes. Also see this FAQ entry.

A56
    Barbarian levels only, the wording is a bit vague, but the Core Rules also offer us this:
    Note that there are a number of effects and prerequisites that rely on a character's level or Hit Dice. Such effects are always based on the total number of levels or Hit Dice a character possesses, not just those from one class. The exception to this is class abilities, most of which are based on the total number of class levels that a character possesses of that particular class.
    Rage Powers are a class ability, so they are based on Barbarian class levels only.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-06-06 at 06:27 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

20. - Top - End - #110

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    A55
    Yes. Also see this FAQ entry.
    Q 55 clarification?

The FAQ entry specifically talks about rays - would ranged touch attacks (and melee touch attacks) in general still profit from buffs the same way that rays do?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

A55 addendum It says attack rolls. So even combat maneuvers will profit here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again: This is balanced fine. It's a standard action (or a 5th level slot quickened which might've been a regular righteous might), fixed duration of 1 minute for a spell that's a cornerstone of lowlevel Clericzillas

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

A55 Addendum
    I assumed Ranged Touches are Rays, but there must be exceptions. Pardon me for forgetting that.

The rare non-Ray Ranged Touches, and Melee Touches in general, are not clarified as Rays are. They aren't called out by Weapon Focus (but the Similar Natural Attack, Unarmed Strike and Ray are named) so it is debatable (This topic goes back and forth a lot and makes good points for both sides, but sadly no conclusive answer) and I can very easily see them count as weapon-like. But again it is not stated within the RAW or the FAQ, so the harsh answer is that they would not be weapon-like and cannot benefit from bonuses for weapon-like weapons.

Edit: @Ninja Sporeegg, it is not a question if they are attacks, they are, but whether they are weapons, which has no answer. However there is a certain logic in that if the attack bonus would apply, why would the damage bonus not apply?
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-06-06 at 07:37 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

23. - Top - End - #113

Griffon

Q56

What are some ways (if any) to reload an atlatl without provoking attacks of opportunity?

24. - Top - End - #114

Griffon

Q57

There are two mythic feats (greater vital strike and quicken spell) that have 10th mythic tier as a prerequisite. But it looks like mythic tiers only go up to level 10. And you get mythic feats at odd tiers, so the last one comes at tier 9.

Am I just missing something simple? Is this an oversight? Is it designed for higher than 10 mythic tiers?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

A57
    Each Mythic Tier you can select an Universal Path Ability, and one of those is Extra Mythic Feat, so you could get a Mythic Feat at 10th level.

On a side note, both feats from the same third party, and I saw in some reviews and comments that the balance between Mythic Tier and BaB is a bit wonky for some feats. If you are interested, here is the most detailed review, and also check the comments, the developer himself talks about some of those decisions. If these two feats were intentional to only be taken with the Extra Mythic Feat or not is not clear, but the developer included some high level hard to get feats on purpose.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

26. - Top - End - #116

Imp

Q58

Large weapons cost twice as much as medium ones and weigh double, too.

What about huge and bigger sized weapons?

Assume a medium sized weapon costs 50g and weighs 5lb. The Large version would cost 100g and 10lb.

What would be the price and weight of a huge, gargantuan and colossal sized weapon of that base price and weight?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

A58
    There are no real rules for price and weight beyond the normal Small/Medium/Large weapons. Even 3.5 didn't had rules for it. The most common houserule is to keep doubling the numbers, so a huge weapon would be twice the price and twice the weight of a large weapon (Or four times the price and weight of a medium weapons).

___

Old PF Initiative Build

28. - Top - End - #118

Imp

Q 59

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-sp...torm-of-blades

Does the caster need proficiency and the appropriate size for the weapon to avoid taking penalties for nonproficiency (-4) and size difference (stacking -2), or does he/she roll the ranged attack for the spell, not the weapon?

You make a ranged attack roll for each sword
    (spell description)
    instead of
    You make a ranged attack roll with each sword
    (wording that would mean you take penalties due to size&type)
    Last edited by kkplx; 2014-06-07 at 04:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q#60

I would like to Create a variant of Deliquescent Gloves From the pathfinder Ultimate Equipment book.
    The gloves confer a +1 Enhancement Bonus effect to attacks made, and cost the same as a +2 Enhancement bonus. May I create a similar item that confers a +2 Enhancement Bonus effect to attacks made by making the gloves cost equal to a +3 Enhancement Bonus?

Please clarify so my DM can avoid Rule 0.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Spamalot in the Playground

A60: The gloves confer a very specific effect on your attacks. Changing that property to a different one would indeed require rule 0 (i.e. a custom item.) It is not like, for example, choosing to create a +1 Corrosive Burst spiked gauntlet instead of a +1 Corrosive one.

Q61: Is it possible in the rules to automatically escape a grapple by shrinking or shapeshifting to a very small size relative to your attacker? (e.g. Tiny or smaller.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)