1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

Q62 Do intelligent undead have souls?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

A61
    I can't find any mention of it in the rules. Closest thing I found to grapple and polymorph is the Tenori monk, that is able to prevent creatures from polymorphing in a grapple.

A62
    Maybe. It seems to be confirmed for some undead, others are unmentioned. It also depends on campaign setting and even personal view, but lets avoid making this philosophical.

By the fluff in the books there are a couple of intelligent undead that have souls. Liches have bound their soul to an item to achieve immortality. Ghost and other incorporeal undead are described as lost souls (There is a small line in the GameMastery Guide even), stuck between this world and the next. Vampires in the Golarion setting also seem to have souls, as stated by The Great Beyond.

There is also the side note that when your body is transformed into an undead, you cannot be resurrected, even by spells that offer a new body (Reincarnation and True Resurrection). So being undead has some influence on souls and their ability to return the mortal plane, but whether that means if the soul is trapped inside the undead, or just stuck in the afterlife is unexplained. Again The Great Beyond calls out that unintelligent undeads, like skeletons and zombies, have no souls. so make of this what you want.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Q63

The mythic wall of thorns spell says "Any creature adjacent to the wall is automatically grappled by it."

Freedom of movement says that "All combat maneuver checks made to grapple the target automatically fail. The subject automatically succeeds on any combat maneuver checks and Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin."

Since no check is required, does this mean that if you cast a mythic wall of thorns onto or next to someone with freedom of movement, they are grappled, and must use their standard action to escape?

And with only a listed CMD and no CMB, the spell maintains the grapple until a creature makes a successful escape check?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q64

Has there been any official or unofficial support from Paizo when it comes to jump checks replacing Dex/acrobatics with a Strength check?

Q65

If you gain a natural attack such as from Mother's Teeth and can you use it as a standard action attack or does it take a full round action?
    Last edited by SpawnOfMorbo; 2014-06-09 at 12:03 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q66: Does Eldritch Heritage actually allow a sorcerer to count as having that bloodline for things that require a specific bloodline? Such as Dragon Disciple?
    Last edited by torrasque666; 2014-06-09 at 10:57 PM.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

Q67

are there any feats or inquisitor spells that increase damage against demoralized foes?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

A63 The way mythic spells are written I feel like they have priority before non-mythic spell versions. Then again Freedom of Movement is a very oddly written spell and the fact that it's permanent on most axiomatic outsiders is a clear indicator for me that it is intended that: No, this spell won't work on Freedom of Movement.

A64 No idea actually. I just wanted to replay so that your question isn't going to be ignored. I think raw attribute checks can be substituted for many things. You could even say that you write a feat/trait to attribute Strength to Acrobatics for Jumping (after all the Hulk - aka every Barbarian ever - doesn't jump from his insane Dex).

A65 Singular natural attacks are standard actions to use. A full attack with several natural attacks is a full-round action.

A66 Sadly no. But you can retrain your sorcerer levels with those rules: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/u...ml#_retraining (or just ask your DM to fudge your discovered Draconic blood in via Crossblooded).

A67 Not inquisitor specific but Blisterind Invective deals fire damage to demoralized characters. You can intimidate them via Dazzling Display, then Shatter Defenses (for the rogue to deal automatic sneaks). I don't know about more. You can't get Deadly Stroke without 8 levels of Fighter sadly.

Q68 Are there some pdf spell cards that allow me to type in short personalized spell descriptions (for my spont. casters)?
    Last edited by Spore; 2014-06-10 at 06:34 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Q68 Are there some pdf spell cards that allow me to type in short personalized spell descriptions (for my spont. casters)?
    A68 Have you tried these? Follow the Custom Card Creator link on that page, it lets you design your own spells for spell cards, so you could fill the details with those of an already existing spell, with a description of your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Q68 reply I play in often poor lighting and these cards are simply too small. But thanks to you I have seen that you can enlarge the font by a great deal. Thanks.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q69 - Do you know when someone's failed to scry you?

Generally, as I understand, if you succeed on a will save, you know that magic has been attempted on you. (I suppose first, if that is false, I certainly need to know!) But assuming I got that right, is that also true of scrying? If someone tries to scry you, and you pass your will save, do you know that someone's scrying you? Do you know that some sort of undefined magic was unsuccessfully cast on you? What would you know, basically?

Thanks!
    Yay Pathfinder! Boo on 4th Ed.

Awesome Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Lycar View Post
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

A69
    There is no reason to assume that scrying is different from the general rule. So yes if you succeed a will save, even from scyring attempt, you are aware something happened. I would assume seasoned adventure would recognize it as magic, but the description is vague, so you don't know anything beyond something is messing with you.

Succeeding on a Saving Throw

A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature's saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell, you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-06-11 at 02:17 PM.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

12. - Top - End - #132
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Q 59 repost: Storm of Blades spell
    Show
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-sp...torm-of-blades

Does the caster need proficiency and the appropriate size for the weapon to avoid taking penalties for nonproficiency (-4) and size difference (stacking -2), or does he/she roll the ranged attack for the spell, not the weapons created by the spell?

You make a ranged attack roll for each sword
    (spell description)
    instead of
    You make a ranged attack roll with each sword
    (wording that would mean you take penalties due to size&type?)

Reposting one time since there was no answer so far from what I see and google-fu still fails me.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    A67 Not inquisitor specific but Blisterind Invective deals fire damage to demoralized characters. You can intimidate them via Dazzling Display, then Shatter Defenses (for the rogue to deal automatic sneaks). I don't know about more. You can't get Deadly Stroke without 8 levels of Fighter sadly.
    Clarification:
    Blistering Invective demoralizes AND lights them on fire.
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blistering
    "When you cast this spell, make an Intimidate check to demoralize each enemy within 30 feet of you. Enemies that are demoralized this way take 1d10 points of fire damage and must succeed at a Reflex save or catch fire. Spell Resistance can negate the fire damage caused by this spell, but does not protect the creature from the demoralizing effect."
    Important, SR has no effect from the demoralize, even though the source is a spell, the spell itself calls this out.

The suggestion for Dazzling Display + Shatter Defenses is noteworthy.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2014-06-11 at 07:37 PM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

A59
    There is no answer. It's an badly written spell from and the splashbook it comes from doesn't seem famous. There aren't enough people asking questions and it's already half a year since the book came out, so I don't expect they will fix this obscure little spell (besides, there is a lot wrong with this spell, a lot, more then a simple errata can fix, it would need a total rewrite).

That aside, by the most strictest of readings.

The spell is written with the idea magic causes the swords to fly, "magically propel them at your target", and feats that enhance the sword crit or damage don't apply, "each attack has the same threat range and critical modifier and deals the same damage as a standard sword of the type expended". By this wording it also gives the impression it doesn't even deal strength damage like a throwing weapon and makes it very debatable if you could apply any feats on it.
    We also have the line "with no penalties for range increments or using melee weapons as ranged weapons" which is in essence telling us improvised penalties don't apply which is normal for spells but not for ranged attacks. So by that logic then it would also mean that non-proficiency also don't apply, you are clearly not throwing yourself, or else you were already dealing with improvised penalties. (And in essence non-proficiency and improvised IS the same penalty.)
    Following that same logic range increments also don't apply, which are very normal penalties when you make an attack yourself, but spells never deal with distance beyond their set range. Similarly size penalties are normal to the wielder but never apply to magic
    So this all hints very strongly to magic being the thrower, not the caster.

Still, your DM ruling may vary, and this spell is heavily subject to DM interpretation (because it's written so poorly, urgh).

___

Old PF Initiative Build

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

A59 addendum I would orient myself on the "throwing knives" effect of the official spell Telekinesis.

You must succeed on attack rolls (one per creature or object thrown) to hit the target with the items, using your base attack bonus + your Intelligence modifier (if a wizard) or Charisma modifier (if a sorcerer). Weapons cause standard damage (with no Strength bonus; note that arrows or bolts deal damage as daggers of their size when used in this manner).
    That's what I would substitute because you're making an attack with your primary casting stat with a spell that might as well be known as Telekinesis Light.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

Q70
    Is there a way for an inquisitor to use intimidate (or something else for that matter) to cause a fear effect greater than demoralized/shaken?
    Last edited by Starscythe; 2014-06-12 at 04:36 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Q71 Do the Change Words from the Words of Power feature cause yourself to be unable to cast spells? http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/u...m-%28change%29

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

A71
    The Change Words don't actually specify you change into a different creature type, so you keep being humanoid and keep being able to cast spells. (Also no gear melds into you when you transform)

___

Old PF Initiative Build

19. - Top - End - #139

Q72 Spectral Hand, Bouncing Frostbite

Reposting from wrong thread.

Can a PC use Spectral Hand and a Bouncing Metamagic Rod on Frostbite to allow Frostbite to potentially target a second creature each turn?

I see nothing in the rules to indicate otherwise, but I don't know if multii-round spells like that still get to benefit from Bouncing.

Another question, based on an answer I received from the other thread; does the second target need to be adjacent to the first (where the hand was) or can it be anywhere within 100+ feet (Hand spell range)?

Thank you,
    Avatar of Vlad Taltos and Loiosh by Bradakhan

20. - Top - End - #140
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starscythe View Post
    Q70
    Is there a way for an inquisitor to use intimidate (or something else for that matter) to cause a fear effect greater than demoralized/shaken?
    Yes and no.
    Yes, in that once shaken, saves and most other rolls are lower, therefore a target who is shaken is more susceptable to another fear effect. No in that the Intimidate skill (Demoralize/Shaken) by itself can not be the tool to take the target further down the fear chart.

However...
    A level 8 Barbarian with Intimidating Glare and Terrifying Howl can do it for a Move Action followed by a Standard Action. Or, the Inquisitor could Demoralize, and the Barbarian could Howl to take some targets from shaken to panicked.
    Intimidating Glare and Terrifying Howl

I'm mentioning all this, even though it is not Inquisitor stuff, because there might be an archetype that might be able to get access to these rage powers. I don't personally know Inquisitor well enough, but it's an angle for you to investigate if interested.

I know there's a feat (not a rage power) to make this even cheesier, but the name isn't coming to mind right now.
    EDIT: Found it!
    Dreadful Carnage to make the above even cheesier. Opens up at level 11.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2014-06-12 at 08:40 PM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

A70 Addendum
    While we are on the subject of other classes. The Rogue Archetype Thug can change 4 rounds of shaken into 1 round of frightening and is available as a 1 level rogue dip.

In general many feats that give the fear line of debuffs are based around intimidate, and intimidate doesn't allow stacking. I can't find any other way to shaken (or worse) enemies with a feat without intimidate. Non feat options are mostly magic, for example Cause Fear makes shakes enemies panicked, which is pretty good for a level 1 spell. Or how about clever use of the Dirty Trick Combat Maneuver ability, that also allows shaken, and does stacks like normal fear, it does add a ton more feat requirements on a build.

A72
    Bouncing spell is a nasty written bugger and it all depends on how you read its first line. I found three interpretations no less, so it's a bit pick your ruling today.
    1) It only works on spells with Saves/Spell resistance that target one creature; The most RAW, in this case Frostbite only works when the creature has spell resistance.
    2) It only works on spells with the line "Target One (Adjective) Creature"; Seems to be the most RAI, in this case Frostbite won't work because the line is "creature touched"*.
    3) It works on any spell that targets one creature; This is the most free spirited, and works even when Magic Missile is blocked by a shield spell, as long as all missiles go for one target. Then Frostbite is definite yes.

*I saw someone making the argument that touch spells aren't cast on enemies but on yourself, pointing out that when you miss you don't loose the charge. Similar Ray spells also don't have a target line, rather being effects spells that the caster aims himself.

In strict RAW cases or PFS I would advise to just use option 2, but if you have a friendly DM option 3 seems to be the better and more fluff fitting option. Be wary for those DM that rule 1, its harsh but its also written right there, in the text (and you still need to take a stance on 2/3 in a sense too, so it doesn't make the issue easier).

As for Spectral Hand, the hand has no limited movement and moves instantly within the spell range. So when the spell bounces any other target within the spectral hands range is fair game.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-06-12 at 11:37 PM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

22. - Top - End - #142

Q72A

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    A70 Addendum
    A72
    Bouncing spell is a nasty written bugger and it all depends on how you read its first line. I found three interpretations no less, so it's a bit pick your ruling today.
    1) It only works on spells with Saves/Spell resistance that target one creature; The most RAW, in this case Frostbite only works when the creature has spell resistance.
    I actually meant for this question to be on Chill Touch (but then thought I misread the spell so it didn't apply) as used against undead.

Use Spectral hand and Bouncing Chill Touch to cause one undead to panic and target a different undead if the first one makes the save?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

A72 Addendum
    It's the same answer, depends on how you read Bouncing spell.
    By the strict RAW a Chill Touch cast on Undead could bounce. It has a save that can fail, can target one creature and no partial side effects. But the only way it could work is if you target a single undead per casting of the spell, making it rather useless combination. (You are better of using your spectral hand to deal multiple chill touches in one round, rather then one that might bounce)
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-06-13 at 09:46 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

24. - Top - End - #144

Q73

So, I CAN target multiple undead with Chill Touch through Spectral Hand in one round? I assumed it was a single attack per round for up to one round per level.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

A73 "You can use this melee touch attack up to one time per level." Doesn't say anything about single attacks per round.

(edit) I should also point out that Bouncing Spell is not going to overpower the game in its most lenient interpretation. After all, instead of using a bouncing level 1 spell in a 2nd level slot, you could also be using a level 2 area effect spell and save the feat for something else. So I'd allow it: it's cool and not unbalanced.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2014-06-13 at 10:10 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q74

Is there any way that a 1st-level PC with Light Blindness (eg a drow PC) can negate the dazzled condition they suffer while in bright light in an ongoing way?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

A74 Cloak of Shade spell. If you're not a druid, grab potions thereof.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

A73.5
    Touch and multiple attacks.

You can touch up to 6 willing targets as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell. If the spell allows you to touch targets over multiple rounds, touching 6 creatures is a full-round action.
    So yes, spectral hand + chill touch = 6 targets.

A74
    Cloak of Shade does not work
    The spell does not, however, eliminate the effects of direct sunlight on creatures vulnerable to sunlight.
    Penumbra is the spell that does work, but is not RAW. The official one is level 2 and named Protective Penumbra.

Edit: Most races do have race options. Drow have the Alternative Racial Trait Surface Infiltrator.

(Orcs have Alternative Racial Trait Dayrunner, Damphirs have the trait Born in the Light)

Edit2: Also this rule:
    Normal light functions just like bright light, but characters with light sensitivity and light blindness do not take penalties. Areas of normal light include underneath a forest canopy during the day, within 20 feet of a torch, and inside the area of a light spell.
    A simple parasol, should be enough, although it is not listed as one of its benefits. In general finding some sort of shade helps, perhaps a wagon with sunshade (Although 50gp is expensive. (Picture, although that is a modern car, not a wagon, but the idea stands)
    Although these options do suck in outside daylight combat unless you got some helper to carry the parasol or move the wagon.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-06-13 at 11:32 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    Cloak of Shade does not work
    Drow aren't vulnerable to sunlight, they're sensitive to light; that's not the same thing (for example, Vampires are vulnerable to sunlight). COS does reduce the penalties of sunlight by -1, so it would reduce the penalty of being dazzled to zero.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Drow aren't vulnerable to sunlight, they're sensitive to light; that's not the same thing (for example, Vampires are vulnerable to sunlight). COS does reduce the penalties of sunlight by -1, so it would reduce the penalty of being dazzled to zero.
    Yeah, good point. Any lenient DM would probably allow it.

But by RAW it is dubious, there is no "vulnerable to sunlight" clause in vampires, (and neither do wraiths), so it isn't a rule term, but a normal English one. So then it's left up to the reader with vulnerable means, but again I agare with you. Also Sunlight does not cause penalties so that sentence shouldn't do anything, but that's nitty gritty word lawyering. But it proves the idea is there, the words just fail to make a clear distinguishing between the lesser sunlight penalties (Light Sensitive and Light Blindness) vs the greater sunlight penalties (Sunlight Powerlessness and whatever Vampires do).

But I am way too offquestion, so I keep quiet now, if you want to debate further start a topic or PM me to start a topic. I see a really silly argument that leads to Cloak of Shade protecting vampires, but I don't really want to go there because it's a silly argument to defend.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-06-13 at 12:12 PM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build