New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Banned

Default Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

Q143

If my Eidolons has 2 arms and Slam Evolution can he make 2 Slam attack per round ?

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

A141
    I don't think any options exist. Summon Eidolon is your best bet. Your second best bet is dismissing the Eidolon before he gets killed, flee, resummon and heal your eidolon.

A142
    Like normal familiars (and even animal companions) there are no real RAW rules on how you get one. There is a ritual to bind a creature to yo, and that ritual might also supply you with the creature. The wording is kinda vague, it says you can replace the creature with the ritual. The full line is:
    If a familiar is dismissed, lost, or dies, it can be replaced 1 week later through a specialized ritual that costs 200 gp per wizard level. The ritual takes 8 hours to complete.
    But in general it's up to the DM how to interpret that line and how you get one. Perhaps he agrees that a new creature is called when you do the ritual. Or he might require you to find a creature first and then do the ritual. As for simple ideas, beyond crafting you might be able to buy one a clockwork familiar, or find one as part of some ancient treasure. Other creature can be actively sought in their terrain and captured.

A143
    No, you gain one slam attack per pair of arms.

Slam (Ex)

An eidolon can deliver a devastating slam attack. This attack is a primary attack. The slam deals 1d8 points of damage (2d6 if Large, 2d8 if Huge). The eidolon must have the limbs (arms) evolution to take this evolution. Alternatively, the eidolon can replace the claws from its base form with this slam attack (this still costs 1 evolution point). This evolution can be selected more than once, but the eidolon must possess an equal number of the limbs evolution.
    Compare and contrast to
    Claws (Ex)

An eidolon has a pair of vicious claws at the end of its limbs, giving it two claw attacks. These attacks are primary attacks. The claws deal 1d4 points of damage (1d6 if Large, 1d8 if Huge). The eidolon must have the limbs evolution to take this evolution. This evolution can only be applied to the limbs (legs) evolution once This evolution can be selected more than once, but the eidolon must possess an equal number of the limbs evolution
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

3. - Top - End - #243
    Banned

Q144

If i Have 4 Hands and claws an all hands. I can do 4 attack with claws. First Attack with full BAB and all other with - 5 ?

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Q145

"Pounce (Ex) When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can make a full attack (including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability)."

Is there any reason a creature couldn't choose to divide those attacks against multiple targets that are all within reach of the end space, as per a normal full attack?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q146

6 characters have a hard encounter. 1 dies and 2 flee. The other 3 finish the encounter. What happens to the experience? It's divided by 6, 5 or 3?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Q146
    The description for Cause Fear puzzles me. By the text, it seems that it is better to fail your will save than to succeed at it? Is there an errata available?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

A144
    Nope, claws are Primary Natural Attacks and you can deliver them always at full base attacks bonus.

The -5 penalty only comes in play when you make an attack with primary and secondary natural attack or with a weapon and any natural attacks in the same round.

So 4 claws are at full bonus.
    1 Sword attack and 3 claws means sword at full bonus (and extra attacks from BaB) and all claws attacks are at -5.
    And 4 claws + tail slap means all claws at full bonus, and the tail slap at -5.

A145
    Not really.

Although with a normal charge you pick one opponent to charge, move towards and attack, there is nothing about pounce in this regard.

A146
    It really depends on the DM and how he designs the encounters. There are no hard rules on the divide. And there are tons of ways to approach this, but in general the question turns back to the DM: How much do you think they earned?

To give some more personal opinion: I would stay with a 6 split, they all fought in that combat, and maybe give people that didn't flee bonus XP (including the dead dude, he died for the combat.), unless the fleeing party members had no other options.

A147
    Fear effects go like this:
    Shaken (–2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks)
    Frightened (Same penalties as Shaken + you actively try to flee from whatever is causing fear but you can defend yourself when cornered.)
    Panicked (Same penalties as Frightened + you drop your weapons, and you cant even fight back when cornered.)

Cause Fear makes the target Frightened (state 2 fear) for 1d4 rounds. Unless the target makes his save, then he gets Shakes (state 1 fear) for 1 round.

Or simply put, when you fail your save you try to run away. When you make your save you can control your own actions. In both cases you still got a -2 penalty on a lot of rolls.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Q147C
    My confusion is in the fact that the shaken cause does not contain an "instead" or "Except if". It reads as if you're frightened no matter what, and additionally shaken if you make the save...
    Last edited by weckar; 2014-07-06 at 06:49 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

A147C
    The wording is unchanged since 3.5, so I don't think there is anything in the pathfinder rules to help you out.

Besides, and I am no English major (or even native), I am pretty sure the words "except" or "instead" are not needed. Something to do with two separate statements and separate conditions due the word "if". But bugger all when I can explain English Grammar Rules.

Then there is that whole point that the word "addition" is missing. As in: "it is shaken for 1 round, in addition to frightened". So there is no reason the penalties come in addition to the normal effects.

Also you cannot be shaken and frightened at the same time... you would become panicked. So you can only become shaken trough the spell if you are not frightened. And if there was no way to become shaken, why would they even mentioned it? (And this all ignoring the obvious fact the saving throws are intended to reduce or lessen penalties.)
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-07-06 at 07:23 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

10. - Top - End - #250

Griffon

Q148

Do powerful creatures that use natural weapons and lack spells/magic items have any way to hurt incorporeal creatures? For instance, could the Tarrasque hurt a Shadow?

I know certain types of DR/X allow natural weapons to penetrate similar (magic, epic) or associated (opposite alignment) DR. Is there something like that which works on incorporeal?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The more I try to learn, the less I understand...

Q149

With Metamagic feats, do clerics/wizards need to prepare/memorize a spell as a metamagic spell in advance? Like, if my cleric wanted to cast a maximized cure serious wounds, do you need to prepare/memorize the spell in it's maximized version in advance?

Q150

Crafting (Scribe Scroll, Craft wand) and Metamagic feats. I was just told these work together, and nothing I can find on google says otherwise. Can you really make scrolls of maximized fireballs? Wand of maximized cure light wounds? I have a hard time picturing it, as why wouldn't you always buy a scroll/potion/wand/etc with a metamagic feat on it if you had the option?

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

A148
    Well, creatures with damage reduction x/magic make a chance.

Some monsters are vulnerable to magic weapons. Any weapon with at least a +1 magical enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls overcomes the damage reduction of these monsters. Such creatures' natural weapons (but not their attacks with weapons) are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
    This normally wouldn't work, but the incorporeal line has a clause for this
    An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities.
    So if a creature as DR 5/magic, it strikes as if it has a magic weapon, and that is one of the weaknesses of an incorporeal creature. (Also no that striking as is not the same as a magic weapon, they are two separate weaknesses.)

Beyond that, most creature with natural attacks cannot hurt incorporeal, and are advised to get an Amulet of Mighty Fists .

A149
    Yup, you need to prepare the spells in advance. Check out the Metamagic Feat chapter
    Wizards and Divine Spellcasters*: Wizards and divine spellcasters must prepare their spells in advance. During preparation, the character chooses which spells to prepare with metamagic feats (and thus which ones take up higher-level spell slots than normal).
    *Do note that Oracles don't fall under this, this was written before the oracle came out.

A150
    From the same chapter
    Magic Items and Metamagic Spells: With the right item creation feat, you can store a metamagic version of a spell in a scroll, potion, or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell's higher spell level (after the application of the metamagic feat). A character doesn't need the metamagic feat to activate an item storing a metamagic version of a spell.
    So yes you can. The reason why people do not, the increase in price most likely. To illustrate

Wand of Maximized Cure Light Wounds: Spell level is 4 (1 + 3). Minimum caster level is 7 (for 4th level spells). Cost is 4 x 7 x 750 = 21,000 GP.
    Compare that to the normal 750 GP for a Wand of Cure Light Wounds.
    And for the same price you can buy a wand of Critical Wounds, which heals 4d8 + 7 (or average 25) where as our maximum CLW wand heals for 8 + 5 (or 13). (Even a roll of only ones gives us 11 healing for a Wand of CCW.)

There might specific instances where the metamagic feat is worth it, but I think that rather comes from other metamagics then maximize. (Scrolls of Silent [Spell] for stealth missions.)

___

Old PF Initiative Build

13. - Top - End - #253
    Orc in the Playground

Q151

The "Roll With It" goblin exclusive feat, can it allow you to dodge a grab attack?

The feat allows you to bounce back upon being hit by a melee attack, flying an amount of feet equal to damage taken, as well as ignoring damage.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q152

If someone doesn't know what is in a Handy Haversack, can they retrieve stuff from it? Situation is pondering giving as early look to a party a Handy Haversack with a list of goodies in it, but wondering if I can be generous on the premise that unless they can guess what's in it, they won't get everything.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Q153

Apologies if the question has been asked already, but when multiclassing, which class' Skill Ranks per Level is used?
    Last edited by Dovius; 2014-07-07 at 04:52 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

A151
    Yes, if a creature has an action that deals damage and the grab special ability, you can avoid both the grab and the damage. (Similar to poisons, trips and other side effects.) Do keep in might the damage is a prerequisite (So no avoiding grapples.)

A152
    Judging from the way a Haver Sack works, it is a use activated item. Thus we get this little rule:
    Use activation doesn't mean that if you use an item, you automatically know what it can do. You must know (or at least guess) what the item can do and then use the item in order to activate it, unless the benefit of the item comes automatically, such as from drinking a potion or swinging a sword.
    As far as I can most benefits from the Haversack are automatic (the storing of items and the reduced weight always happen). The retrieving part is slightly more complex, looking back at the Haver Sack.
    While such storage is useful enough, the pack has an even greater power. When the wearer reaches into it for a specific item, that item is always on top.
    This sounds similar to "swinging a sword" idea. Just by using the normal non magical item version as intended (retrieving items from a backpack), you get the magical benefit (the item lays on top), but you need to know what you are reaching for. This do leads to some silly side effects, as in the bag looks empty to the uneducated eye and any item he puts into it seemingly disappears.

The short answer: if the user knows what items are in the bag, he can retrieve them, without even knowing it is a magic item.

A153
    The skill ranks of the new class. (The idea is pretty similar to Hit Points.)
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-07-07 at 06:31 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

17. - Top - End - #257

Griffon

Q154

When a polymorphed creature uses something like web, poison, etc., what happens after the polymorph effect wears off?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

A154 logic I don't find any RAW stating that effects that were drawn from your new form end after the spell ends. So they resume.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Q155
    Cleave states that the second attack is to be made on a creature adjacent to the previous enemy and within range. Does this mean I could use a reach weapon to attack an enemy two squares away, and then cleave to an enemy standing between us?

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

A155
    No, reach weapons don't allow you to attack enemies that are adjacent to you. But if have a different scenario (like longer reach, natural attacks with reach or a skill or weapon to avoid the rule), you can hit an enemy behind another enemy and then the enemy that is closest to you. There aren't any rules to prevent you from attacking a creature behind another creature (well there is soft cover, but is only for ranged attacks).
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-07-09 at 07:43 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

A156 Is there a huge cat/medium magical beast cat for Beast Shape III?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

A156
    I found three magical creatures that fits your bill: the Dweomercat (Tiger), the Pard (Cheetah/Lynx) and the Krenshar (Panther).

As for normal cats, I think Dire Lions and Dire Tigers are the biggest, with their large size. Maybe you can get away with the giant template? (And if templates are allowed, consider a Young Sea Cat or Kamadan)
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-07-09 at 08:54 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

A156 addendum Some players feel fine with templates while others are kind of weirded out by that. I try to avoid them as best a possible. The Pard and the Dweomercat are very helpful, thank you. I like grappling and size really matters there.

Polymorph spells cannot be used to assume the form of a creature with a template or an advanced version of a creature.
    Source: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/m...tml#_polymorph

While I guess that is done to avoid infinite power loops as well as template stacking and not to discourage templating to fit the size it's still a rule and RAI isn't recognizable.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

A156 Addendum
    Duh. So busy with finding creatures I forgot the basic rules.

But there aren't a lot of huge animals anyways. According the Database (warning long load time) I found, there are 25, and mostly dinosaurs. So grappling options are limited.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Q157 Does the Mask Golem count as a swarm for templating purposes? Is it a candidate for the apocalypse swarm or not?
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

A157
    I guess not, the basics tell us:

“Apocalypse swarm” is an inherited template that can be added to any swarm
    Mask Golem: Medium construct
    Besides that the Mask Golem has that swarm ability, which even grants the swarm subtype. But that is only for 10 minutes. It's the same with certain spells that changes subtype, it doesn't really sound like a valid ground to base a template on. Even if it was, at best it gains the template for those 10 minutes he is a swarm.

Then again there aren't really rules on temporary subtypes and templates (Because templates are solely in the domain of the DM) so there isn't a real rule stopping it.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you, I'm sure as DM I could still do it, but I'd rather not have books thrown at me. Mainly because an Apocalypse Swarm Mask Golem sounds like a cruel encounter for any group to face. Oh well, back to trying to find a template that stops my party from quickly disposing of the golem and his 17AC (seriously unless it's +20 my party could easily kill it in 1 turn probably )
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

28. - Top - End - #268
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q158

If I am shield bashing: can I wield two shields, attack with one, and retain the shield bonus with the other?
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

A158
    Yes. There is nothing in the description of shield bashing that sounds like you loose all shield AC bonuses. The phrasing only refers to one shield, the shield you are attacking with. And there are no rules against wearing two shields (although the shield AC doesn't stack due the stacking rules).

___

Old PF Initiative Build

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Q159 Is it possible/quick to convert PF monsters into 3.5 and if so what would I have to change? I'm quite fond of how the SRD for PF has all the monsters organized in order by CR, as well as having more interesting monsters such as Baobahn Sith, and would like to bring them to a 3.5 game I'm planning.

Q160 What does it mean when it says the save is Charisma-based? Does it mean the Save DC is based off of the monster's CHA modifier or the PCs roll vs the save using their CHA modifier instead of their normal Will save?