New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy Tactics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Meh... Meliadoul wasn't too bad. Her sword skill was just a ranged version of the Knight job's break skills, which is marginally useful (although not as great as any of the other unique character's with sword skills). Still, her mediocrity doesn't compare to the awfulness of Rafa and Malak.
    Of the specials, Meliadoul certainly wasn't a star, her moveset is not as flashy or cool as holy or temple knight, and nothing touches the brokeness that is sword saint. That said, she is special, and therefore superior, as she has swordskills, which as you pointed out, have ranged break options (not bad, but a generic can do that, archer/knight) however, hers are damage dealing (IIRC break skills don't damage) which means that you break and contribute to killing them at the same time, which is certainly a good advantage.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Meliadoul would be better if not for two things. First, if the enemy has greatly superior equipment, you'd want to steal it rather than break it. Second, if the enemy doesn't have greatly superior equipment, breaking it doesn't really help all that much, so having a more offensively-based build is better. She's pretty powerful, but her ability isn't greatly useful.

I kind of wish they had put more enemies with holy sword or other powerful skills that require a weapon in the endgame. It would make her more useful, as the high% ranged equipment breaks would be better then.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    Meliadoul would be better if not for two things. First, if the enemy has greatly superior equipment, you'd want to steal it rather than break it. Second, if the enemy doesn't have greatly superior equipment, breaking it doesn't really help all that much, so having a more offensively-based build is better. She's pretty powerful, but her ability isn't greatly useful.

I kind of wish they had put more enemies with holy sword or other powerful skills that require a weapon in the endgame. It would make her more useful, as the high% ranged equipment breaks would be better then.
    Is this the part where I feel awkward for almost never using a thief?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Spoiler: Are we really spoilering this game? Really?
    Show
    dfgsfsdf
    Yeah, the spoilers are because the game is being re-released repeatedly, and there are kids now who are 16 and able to get a job and buy this game that were stil being subdivided into a zygote when I played it. There's no reason to be mean, y'know?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbdy View Post
    Yeah, I just murdered the hell out of them and left them to crystalize. Usually. THieves had high move, high initaitve, and low defensive values. There was very little in the way of incentive to get them into position until I had a permainvisible ninja with thief skill.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Not really, because the enemy practically never has greatly superior equipment, making stealing it kind of useless. Stealing is nice if you've done too much grinding and random encounters have become too hard, since you can steal equipment that's up to snuff, but if you don't do a crazy amount of that, or if your grinding has been in really effective ways, you never need to. Personally, I hardly ever steal or break enemy equipment unless I want to strip them all naked for kicks.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post

Eh, attacking the enemy's armor with Meliadoul not only destroys the armor (which in itself drops the enemy's HP by a non-trivial amount), it also does damage. It may not be "Orlandeau" great, but it is quite good. Attacking other pieces of equipment may be situationally good too. Meliadoul is, IMHO, the fourth best special character, with Orlandeau first, Agrias second and Beowulf third. What's better: Dark Knight as a secondary job complements her abilities quite nicely.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

I find that since I tend to fight more random battles and thus encounter more monsters than men, I end up not having any use for Meliadoul, who's entire skillset consists of anti-equipment users.

With a couple of rare exceptions, Thieves are generally useless for stealing anything except hearts, since most of the time the gear you'd steal is available the next time you go to the shop. IE the only reason you'd steal a bow in Dorter, is to use it on an archer, but after the Dorter battle, real bows become available. It just sort of seems pointless to steal gear.

As for Cid, I tend to bring him along, and then only pull him out when I know I'm going to need a fight over, NOW.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post
    Eh, attacking the enemy's armor with Meliadoul not only destroys the armor (which in itself drops the enemy's HP by a non-trivial amount), it also does damage. It may not be "Orlandeau" great, but it is quite good. Attacking other pieces of equipment may be situationally good too. Meliadoul is, IMHO, the fourth best special character, with Orlandeau first, Agrias second and Beowulf third. What's better: Dark Knight as a secondary job complements her abilities quite nicely.
    Oh, huh. You played war of the lions I suppose? Dark knight wasn't a class in the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I find that since I tend to fight more random battles and thus encounter more monsters than men, I end up not having any use for Meliadoul, who's entire skillset consists of anti-equipment users.
    Yeah. Man, that first huge delta battle? I got munched so bad. Can't steal from or break that many damn dragons...

With a couple of rare exceptions, Thieves are generally useless for stealing anything except hearts, since most of the time the gear you'd steal is available the next time you go to the shop. IE the only reason you'd steal a bow in Dorter, is to use it on an archer, but after the Dorter battle, real bows become available. It just sort of seems pointless to steal gear.

As for Cid, I tend to bring him along, and then only pull him out when I know I'm going to need a fight over, NOW.
    Well now, you steal from the archer and he's not an archer anymore, yeah? Snagging weapons from the strong guys helps a lot.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Which is why one of the first things I build for is a Mediator, so I can turn dragons to my team.

Yeah, that's true, though hitting them in the face really hard also makes them not a threat.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

Perusing this thread makes me want to get this game on iOS after I beat FFVI.

Any thoughts on the iOS version? I've only played the PSX version.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

11. - Top - End - #131
    Spamalot in the Playground

You don't have to be. Two abilities I use thieves for: Steal Heart and Steal JP. The latter is great when you don't want your levels too high for later encounters, but need a few more points to buy that last expensive class ability.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Yeah, I just murdered the hell out of them and left them to crystalize.
    You can steal their weapons. Especially useful when the battle gives the enemy archers or a bunch of gun-wielding chemists.

A few bosses have one or two nice equips that might make stealing worthwhile. I think Marquis Elmdor had the Genji stuff which is really rare. Took me a while, but I did strip him down to his skivvies in the second encounter at his castle.

with Orlandeau first, Agrias second and Beowulf third.
    I love Agrias' abilities. Quick and cheap damage. Give her speed boosts and she's practically a ninja.

Yeah. Man, that first huge delta battle? I got munched so bad. Can't steal from or break that many damn dragons.
    Status effects are my friend for that battle. Really, status effects are my friend in general. I'd be horribly murdered in many fights without bards, dancers, and calculators.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

That's not the case in the PSP version. There's a mod for her abilities working on monsters in the PSX version too.

I'll give you that it's not common, but it's not that rare too. The strongest gun in the game can only be obtained by stealing from a generic enemy (or inviting him, duh), and quite a few unavailable for buying, or extremely expensive, items can only be gotten by stealing too. It's not a bad ability, overall, though you'll generally know exactly when you'll need it.
    Oh, huh. You played war of the lions I suppose? Dark knight wasn't a class in the original.
    I played both quite extensively. That's why I can say with confidence that the PSP version much better than the PSX one. The only thing I miss from the PSX's is the spells'/abilities' quotes.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    You don't have to be. Two abilities I use thieves for: Steal Heart and Steal JP. The latter is great when you don't want your levels too high for later encounters, but need a few more points to buy that last expensive class ability.
    Yeah, those were handy. Steal hearts was my bane! I played as the cast from my old never-to-be-seen Webcomic setting, which meant my strongest cast members were female. That one boy thief destroyed my team! XD

A few bosses have one or two nice equips that might make stealing worthwhile. I think Marquis Elmdor had the Genji stuff which is really rare. Took me a while, but I did strip him down to his skivvies in the second encounter at his castle.
    I think he's actually the only way to get the Genji Gear...

I love Agrias' abilities. Quick and cheap damage. Give her speed boosts and she's practically a ninja.
    Agrias was blonde with sword skills, right? Meliadol was church inquisitor type chick, green hood, gilded armor?

Status effects are my friend for that battle. Really, status effects are my friend in general. I'd be horribly murdered in many fights without bards, dancers, and calculators.
    I went in blind the first time and was overwhelmed by two or three of every monster I've ever wanted to capture. I died. I went back in prepared to deal with those monsters and died to a billion archers. That map was a nightmare XD

I played both quite extensively. That's why I can say with confidence that the PSP version much better than the PSX one. The only thing I miss from the PSX's is the spells'/abilities' quotes.
    Yeah. I actually liked some of the more charming inconsistencies.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

True. Does Steal JP work on your own team? I can't remember and I don't have a thief in my game yet.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'll give you that it's not common, but it's not that rare too. The strongest gun in the game can only be obtained by stealing from a generic enemy (or inviting him, duh), and quite a few unavailable for buying, or extremely expensive, items can only be gotten by stealing too. It's not a bad ability, overall, though you'll generally know exactly when you'll need it.
    Yeah, having a thief along the whole time isn't necessary at all, but there are some really good weapons and equipment that you can only get by stealing them. And as somebody else mentioned, stealing (or breaking) a gun or a bow or a knight's sword will really ruin their day. Removing a good piece of armor from an enemy can really lower their hp.

I think he's actually the only way to get the Genji Gear...
    Yeah, that's one of the best examples of equipment that you can only get by stealing (and getting them is such a pain because of how fast Elmdor is, since success of stealing is based on speed). I believe he also has the Masamune IIRC.

Agrias was blonde with sword skills, right? Meliadol was church inquisitor type chick, green hood, gilded armor?
    Yes and yes. Agrias is a guest character in the opening battle at the windmill, and she joins your party for good fairly early on (Chapter 2, I think?). Meliadoul doesn't show up until much later in the game, which impacts her usefulness even more.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2014-06-01 at 12:25 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

16. - Top - End - #136

A quick Google search says you are correct. I really didn't use Meliadoul at all. My onl trouble with Agrias was that she seemed to have problems moving across the field from A to B. I think it was just me though.

True. Does Steal JP work on your own team?
    I believe it does.

Yeah, that's one of the best examples of equipment that you can only get by stealing (and getting them is such a pain because of how fast Elmdor is, since success of stealing is based on speed). I believe he also has the Masamune IIRC.
    You really have to prep for that fight. Break ability, a healer, and hopefully a bard with the Speed song. I'd quickly kill off the two girls and then surround Elmdoorto break his speed and strength to 1, while buffing my own members to increase the success rate. Still takes me a good 40 minutes to rob the dude.

Something I encountered once which amused me~
    It was a mountainous map and I was accosted by a gang of chemists and archers. One of the enemy chemists started off stoned. XD Turns out he was equipped with a Stone Gun and the side effect of using one is you start off stoned. I had to unstone him to grab the gun off his hands. Was quite powerful, as long as you could block or heal that little side-effect.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

A quick Google search says you are correct. I really didn't use Meliadoul at all. My onl trouble with Agrias was that she seemed to have problems moving across the field from A to B. I think it was just me though.
    All of the Squire replacers have pretty low move stats, and it becomes even worse if you change her into a Knight. Best thing to do is get her Equip Sword from the Knight class and turn her into something with a nice Move and Speed stat.(Ninja is particularly nice because sword skills are Two Swords compatible.)

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

The downside however is that you can only use swords and not Knight Swords. Meaning you lose out on damage. On the other hand, the one up side to Agrias/Melia, is the ability to use a Chantage, and have the stronger Knight Swords in place of Excalibur.

Me I always liked to use a Samurai instead of a Ninja though. Less speed, but more armor. Plus an innate damage dealing/healing power. I think the PA was higher as well. I'd have to check that though.

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    All of the Squire replacers have pretty low move stats, and it becomes even worse if you change her into a Knight.
    Ah, so that's the secret. I generally would give her Excalibur to speed her up as auto-haste is boss (Sure Orlandu could overkill with Excalibur, but honestly he's Orlandu. He could kill you with his bare hands).
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Started playing again. Turns out the reason I was having such trouble was simply that I couldn't remember how to learn new skills and couldn't be bothered to watch the tutorials.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Of the specials, Meliadoul certainly wasn't a star, her moveset is not as flashy or cool as holy or temple knight, and nothing touches the brokeness that is sword saint. That said, she is special, and therefore superior, as she has swordskills, which as you pointed out, have ranged break options (not bad, but a generic can do that, archer/knight) however, hers are damage dealing (IIRC break skills don't damage) which means that you break and contribute to killing them at the same time, which is certainly a good advantage.
    90% of Meliadoul's problem lies in when you get her.

If you got her in chapter 2 or 3 she would be awesome, however she joins the group AFTER Thunder God Cid who has all her skills and then some, I often paired Mustaio(Engineer) with Knight break skills, so that I could have ranged breaking early on.

Nothing helps mitigate strong enemy physical classes like removing their weaponry.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

This is probably my favorite game ever. It had weird difficulty though. Easy most of the time but a few spots could just destroy you. Dorter, Gafgarion, Weigraf, the rooftop battle...
    I also really enjoyed the PVP fights on GameFAQs back in the day.
    Last edited by onionbreath; 2014-06-03 at 11:53 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Ugh, don't remind me about Wiegraf. I did a Random Generated Character challenge back in the day and got all the way up to there, and then couldn't get through him.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

My onl trouble with Agrias was that she seemed to have problems moving across the field from A to B. I think it was just me though.
    That's funny. On my game, Agrias usually ended up being one of the few characters that used the Teleport move skill.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Started playing again. Turns out the reason I was having such trouble was simply that I couldn't remember how to learn new skills and couldn't be bothered to watch the tutorials.
    I know that problem! Had it myself when I last picked up the game to play after a long hiatus.
    After about a week it was like riding a bike. All came back to me and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    90% of Meliadoul's problem lies in when you get her.

I often paired Mustaio(Engineer) with Knight break skills
    True and yes. If Meliadoul came onboard earlier when knight skills were useful to me, I might of used her more.

And Mustaio + Knight skills is a strong combo. The enemy can try and chase him all day, but I'd have the boy run-n-gun the entire fight like it's a John Woo film.

That's funny. On my game, Agrias usually ended up being one of the few characters that used the Teleport move skill.
    Believe me, when she finally learned teleport, I'd slap that ability on her like jam on toast.
    Teleport really is the only way to travel for me. Once I learn that it's pretty much a staple. I used to have a good knack for how far I could move with it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #146

Ugh, don't remind me about Wiegraf. I did a Random Generated Character challenge back in the day and got all the way up to there, and then couldn't get through him.
    Did the randomization also determine what skills you had available? Or just which skillsets?

Because if you know all skills within a skill set, I can't comprehend a randomized party bad enough to not be able to handle Wiegraf.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

It randomly generated a class, and abilities. I had a Monk Ramza, with Sing, Critical Quick, Defend, and Any Ground. Unfortunately, trying to take Wiegraf one-on-one like that was a pain in the neck. Supposedly, there was a spot to stand he couldn't get you, but I could never find it.

28. - Top - End - #148

It randomly generated a class, and abilities. I had a Monk Ramza, with Sing, Critical Quick, Defend, and Any Ground.
    I take it he was hitting you harder than you could heal yourself?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #149

It randomly generated a class, and abilities. I had a Monk Ramza, with Sing, Critical Quick, Defend, and Any Ground. Unfortunately, trying to take Wiegraf one-on-one like that was a pain in the neck. Supposedly, there was a spot to stand he couldn't get you, but I could never find it.
    Okay yeah, Monk by itself should have made taking out Wiegraf trivial unless you were very poorly equipped. Especially with Critical Quick to get you an extra turn at low health? A couple resets maybe, but definitely way easier than doing it as True Calc or Mime, both of which are completed SCCs.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I knew UltyX when he was doing the TrueCalcSCC.

It was in part because I didn't have EarthSlash, which is my typical go to attack for a monk. Plus being at neutral compat meant that I wasn't doing bonus damage.