1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Default Mystic Knight [Paladin/Sorcerer Prestige Class][PEACH]

Spoiler: Goal/Design Intentions
    Show
    This really stemmed out from me trying to find a way to gain a bit more paladin flavor on top of the typical paladin 2/Sorcerer gish build, and so I decided to try and make a Prestige class that properly combines these two facets together, rather than be just a slightly different, typical gish.

The main spirit I took from Paladin is that of an indomitable holy warrior that can stand to evil threats, protected by divine power so that he can dispense justice (particularly through Divine Grace, Divine Health, etc). Blending it with a sorcerer, the Mystic Knight should thus be a Paladin who blends his natural talent for spellcasting with this noble goal, and gains capabilities to help him resist the strength of magic - particularly evil magic.

I'm still on the fence on if it should have a way of blending spellcasting and melee in some respects (spell channeling? Quickened spells after striking?). But for the moment, I didn't want to make anything too over the top and be the Gish to rule them all. Maybe tie it into the Smiting Spell Metamagic feat somehow to make it slightly more usable.

Also, I'm not sure if this class should drop spellcasting progression. However, it already costs 4 caster levels to qualify for, and given that its meant to be used with a sorcerer that already puts it at barely gaining 8th level spells. If its thought to be a bit too much, dropping one or two caster levels is probably the best means of balancing.

Hit Die
    1d8

Requirements
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Alignment: Lawful Good
    Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 2 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks.
    Feats: Combat Casting
    Spellcasting: Ability to spontaneously cast 1st-level arcane spells.
    Special: Divine Health
    Special: Turn Undead

Class Skills
    The Mystic Knight's class skills, and the key ability for each skill, are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion), Profession (wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points per Level
    2 + Int modifier.

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Abilities Spellcasting
    1st +1 +2 +0 +2 Enspelled Smite 1/day, Paladin Advancement +1 Spontaneous Arcane
    2nd +2 +3 +0 +3 Mystic Defense, Detect Magic, +1 Spontaneous Arcane
    3rd +3 +3 +1 +3 Mystic Spell Knowledge (1st Level) +1 Spontaneous Arcane
    4th +4 +4 +1 +4 Enspelled Smite 2/day, Turn Spell +1 Spontaneous Arcane
    5th +5 +4 +1 +4 Mystic Spell Knowledge (2nd Level) +1 Spontaneous Arcane
    6th +6 +5 +2 +5 Divine Dweomer +1 Spontaneous Arcane
    7th +7 +5 +2 +5 Enspelled Smite 3/day, Mystic Spell Knowledge (3rd Level) +1 Spontaneous Arcane
    8th +8 +6 +2 +6 Arcane Sight +1 Spontaneous Arcane
    9th +9 +6 +3 +6 Mystic Spell Knowledge (4th Level) +1 Spontaneous Arcane
    10th +10 +7 +3 +7 Enspelled Smite 4/day, Improved Turn Spell +1 Spontaneous Arcane

Special Abilities

Weapon and Armor Familiarity
    The Mystic Knight gains no proficiency with weapons or armor.

Spells per Day/Spells Known
    At 1st level, and each level thereafter, a Mystic Knight gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in the spontaneous arcane spellcaster class he used to qualify for being a Mystic Knight. He does not, however, gain any other benefits a character of that class would have gained (familiar, metamagic or item creation feats, and so on), except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If the Mystic Knight had more than one spontaneous arcane spellcasting class by the time he takes his 1st level in Mystic Knight, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Paladin Advancement
    Levels in the Mystic Knight stack with your Paladin levels to determine your Aura of Good, Lay on Hands, and Special Mount Paladin abilities, but only if you gained those abilities from your Paladin levels before taking levels in this prestige class. For example, a 4th level Paladin, 1st level Sorcerer/3rd level Mystic Knight would have an Aura of Good and Lay on Hands equivalent to a 7th level Paladin, but would not have a Special Mount.

Additionally, upon taking this prestige class you can freely multiclass between Paladin, Mystic Knight and the arcane caster class he used to qualify for Mystic Knight. This ability does not recover paladin abilities that may have been lost due to failing to uphold the paladinís code, and if the paladin falls after becoming a Mystic Knight he still loses these abilities as normal.

Enspelled Smite (Su)
    Once per day, a Mystic Knight can attempt to smite an opponent with one normal melee attack. He adds his Charisma bonus (if positive) to his attack roll and deals additional damage equal to one half the Caster Level in the spontaneous casting class he used to qualify as a Mystic Knight, to a maximum of one-half his total character level. If he uses Enspelled Smite against an evil target, the bonus damage is doubled (equal to his spontaneous arcane caster level, up to a maximum of his character level). Damage dealt by Enspelled Smite is treated as magic damage for the purposes of overcoming Damage Reduction. At levels 4, 7, and 10, he gains one additional usage of Enspelled Smite.

The Mystic Knight may, if he has any paladin levels, decide to convert usages of Smite Evil from his Paladin class levels to additional uses of Enspelled Smite instead. Additionally, feats and special abilities that can be applied to Smite Evil can also be applied to Enspelled Smite.

Detect Magic (Sp)
    At will, a Mystic Knight can use Detect Magic, as the spell. Additionally, a Mystic Knight can benefit from his Detect Evil paladin special ability, if he has it, and Detect Magic at the same time, using the same actions and concentration for both.

Mystic Defense (Su)
    At second level, the Mystic Knight gains Spell Resistance equal to 15 + his Mystic Knightís class level. If the Mystic Knight is being affected by a spell with the evil descriptor, or a spell-like ability cast cast from an evil outsider, he is instead treated as having Spell Resistance equal to 20 plus his Mystic Knightís class level. If he already has a source of Spell Resistance (be it from race, a feat, or a spell effect), he may instead take his Mystic Knightís Spell Resistance, or the other Spell Resistance +2 (whichever is higher).

Mystic Spell Knowledge
    At third level, the Mystic Knight adds the 1st level spells on the Paladinís spell list to the spell list of the spontaneous arcane casting class that he used to qualify for this prestige class. If this class requires spells to be selected as spells known, he must still use a spell known slot to use and cast one of these 1st level Paladin spells. He casts these spells as arcane spells, and in every other way like they were normal spells on his spell list.

At 5th level, and every two levels beyond up to 9th, the Mystic Knight adds the next level of paladin spells to his classí spell list (2nd level spells at 5, 3rd level at 7, and 4th at 9th).

Turn Spell (Su)
    By spending a turn undead attempt the Mystic Knight can attempt to counterspell a spell being cast as an immediate action. The Mystic Knight is treated as if he was using Greater Dispell Magic to counter the spell, as cast by his spontaneous arcane caster class he used to qualify for Mystic Knight.

At 10thth level, a Mystic Knight can choose to spend an additional Turn Undead usage after successfully counter spelling a spell (either through Turn Spell or another means) to instead change the target of the spell to the original caster, rather than counter spelling it. If the spell was an area spell, treat its epicenter as being the location of the spellís original caster.

Divine Dweomer
    The Mystic Knight learns to blend her divine power and arcane magic. He may qualify for Divine feats that require a divine caster level or divine spell level cast with the arcane caster level or arcane spell level cast of the class used to qualify for the Mystic Knight instead. Additionally, your Divine feats function and work with your arcane spells, even if they could previously only be used for divine spells or for a class that granted turn undead. For example, a Mystic Knight with the Retrieve Spell Divine feat would be able to spend Turn Undead attempts on retrieving his arcane spell slots. Or he may qualify for the Divine Spell Power feat, and then apply the benefit of the modified caster level to an arcane spell, rather than a divine spell.

Arcane Sight (Sp)
    The Mystic Knight gains the benefit of the Arcane Sight spell permanently.

Spoiler: Change Log/Revision History
    Show

• Changed Paladin Advancement to work with any spontaneous arcane caster that enters this class, not just sorcerer.
    • Remembered to add Divine Dweomer, an ability that allows many spell-focused divine spells to be used with the Mystic Knight's arcane casting.
    • Made Enspelled Smite attacks count as magic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction, because it made sense.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Mystic Knight [Paladin/Sorcerer Prestige Class][PEACH]

This is quite frankly really cool, and I would definitely play this in a game. However, it needs something that allows it to cast in armor, as I've never met a paladin with anything less than a breastplate.
    The 3.5 Race Conversion Project:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...mproved-thread

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by ~xFellWardenx~ View Post
    Nothing quite as confusing and disturbing as being charged at by both paladins and blackguards under the same banner. Yeesh.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

A couple of concerns.

First, as the other person mentioned, there's no effective way to cast in armor.
    Secondly, the current prerequisites allow Warmages and Beguilers to enter as well. Granted, it obviously wouldn't be as effective with them as opposed to the sorcerer, but the fact remains that the class ability that lets you staple Mystic Knight, Paladin, and Sorcerer together does nothing for the alternate routes of entering.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

That was a good catch, changed Paladin Advancement to tie together Paladin, Mystic Knight, and the spontaneous arcane caster class used to qualify instead. Its mainly intended for sorcerer, but battle mage could be an effective and flavorful substitute (and I suppose beguilers could make for an interesting concept as well!).

I'm on the fence about adding the arcane spellcasting in armor. On one hand, I definitely agree that heavy shield and heavy armor is a typical paladin motiff, but on the other most other gish prestige classes lack such an ability, and going into battle relying upon spells to protect them is also a very flavorful aspect. I'll think about it and then try to find some way to flavorfully add it in if a big enough demand and/or inspiration hits me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thealtruistorc View Post
    This is quite frankly really cool, and I would definitely play this in a game. However, it needs something that allows it to cast in armor, as I've never met a paladin with anything less than a breastplate.
    If Miko was optimized, shes running the base for Wisadin. The build that Keys off wisdom in combat except for Damage and HP. (Ascetic Knight + Serenity makes an interesting class. too bad you cant use one of those as a Monk bonus feat)

This is a rather interesting class, but actually completing a build with it is quite difficult. i think id personally Combine it with Swiftblade

My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

I use Red when I'm angry, I use blue when I'm excited.
    Drow avatar @ myself