New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1360
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: 1001+ ways to screw with your DM/Party

1047. Distract everyone else at the table with discussion of the lack of fleshed-out sleep rules while the cheater rogue guy inconspicuously nudges his miniature into sneak attack range...
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Do not try a linear campaign, without some discussion with them. Players very often look at your hooks and then try to accomplish it in a different way, not touch it, try to do the complete opposite, or somehow set it on fire.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    1047. Distract everyone else at the table with discussion of the lack of fleshed-out sleep rules while the cheater rogue guy inconspicuously nudges his miniature into sneak attack range...
    1047b: as the rogue use every and any possible chance to nudge yourself into SA range XD

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

1048: Build a character whose single over-arching goal is to open a bed & breakfast, and is only adventuring to procure funds and interesting conversation pieces. Begin building said bed & breakfast as soon as you're satisfied with the previous, regardless of the current status of the plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Do not try a linear campaign, without some discussion with them. Players very often look at your hooks and then try to accomplish it in a different way, not touch it, try to do the complete opposite, or somehow set it on fire.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    1048: Build a character whose single over-arching goal is to open a bed & breakfast, and is only adventuring to procure funds and interesting conversation pieces. Begin building said bed & breakfast as soon as you're satisfied with the previous, regardless of the current status of the plot.
    1049: Create a Transmutation Mage, Learn metal to wood. Research the spell to create wood to metal.
    Buy firewood, fabricate wooden weapons and armor, turn them to steel.

1050. Create a Transmutation Mage, Learn metal to wood. Research the spell to create metal to paper. Research the spell to create 'paper to metal'. Learn Craft: Origami Buy rolls of paper. Make origami weapons and armor, then cast paper to metal. Sell for profit!
    Need an Custom Order of the Stick Avatar? How about a Custom Standee for Offline Play? Feel free to hit me up, and we can see how we do.

5. - Top - End - #1325

1051: When your character is re-incaranted and changes race and gender, shout that you can't live this way and kill yourself asap.
    as the DM: make the second re-incarnation a silly race that has no gender :P.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ettin in the Playground

1052: As the DM, decide that the PCs should have to save the princess of a draconic nation from herself (meaning: send her to drug rehab); she smokes a narcotic often referred to as "the fire." Only tell the players that they need to save the princess from the fire-breathing dragon.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

1053: Play an online campaign as an Assassin. PM the DM about how you're putting poison in the waterskins of another player during the night watch. Roll the correct checks, pass, watch the player die. Keep doing this until caught.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    If the players demand a mechanical explanation for how he does this, summon Orcus
    Quote Originally Posted by tKUUNK View Post
    first off, LentilNinja, I love the build you suggested! FUN is the word here.

8. - Top - End - #1328

1054: As the party roguue/assassin, break into the BBEG wizard's quarters and drug him. While he is passed out, cut his arms and legs off and cut his tongue out. laugh as he is now unable to cast the vast majority of his spells. Run away with all of his loot, magical items, gold, platinum etc. Burn his spell book and take his spell component pouch.

1055: Have a player with ranks in siege engineer. Using six catapaults launch a few hundred jars of aboleth mucus at a high level wizard. He only has so many time-stops and contingencies.... Muahahaha!

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ferronach View Post
    1054: As the party roguue/assassin, break into the BBEG wizard's quarters and drug him. While he is passed out, cut his arms and legs off and cut his tongue out. laugh as he is now unable to cast the vast majority of his spells. Run away with all of his loot, magical items, gold, platinum etc. Burn his spell book and take his spell component pouch.
    Probably for another thread:

Mindrape the rogue/assassin to think he has done the above and dominate him to do the same to his party. As if a proper wizard wasn't prepared for that trick, ha.

10. - Top - End - #1330

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Probably for another thread:

Mindrape the rogue/assassin to think he has done the above and dominate him to do the same to his party. As if a proper wizard wasn't prepared for that trick, ha.
    You forgot the Assassin's identical twin who is identical in every way. :P

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

1057. Base an entire campaign off of Game of Thrones, but only allow zombie players. First session: explain where there heading. Spend the next eternity telling them that they're almost there.

1058. Base an entire campaign off of Le Morte d'Arthur, but only allow Druid characters. Start the game off surrounded by a bunch of period-accurate Christians.

1059. Base an entire campaign off of The Hobbit, but in reverse. They must relinquish an infinite amount of gold to a dragon they resurrect, travel by barrel to their cells in Mirkwood only to be kicked out and abandoned in spider-filled woods, stay the night at Beorn's just before running into an old goblin hive and resurrecting an entire goblin civilization, passing through Rivendell, and breaking up the party after dinner in the Shire.

1060. Base an entire campaign off of The Hobbit, but not story-wise, party building wise. Let one player be an epic level wizard, one player be a mid-level Fighter, one player be a first level Commoner, and then the other dozen players must be level-one Experts.
    " . . .if you fail to achieve something, obviously you're not being overpowered enough "
    - Somensjev

"That should be D&D's slogan: Fatuus Lex, Sed Lex (The law is stupid, but it is the law)"
    - atemu1234

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    885 Optimize a character for the highest move speed possible. The moment the game starts, have him start running in a random direction. Never explain why, just watch people react to their party member running of at a speed no one will ever be able to equal.
    I've always wanted to do something like this (the above and below).

1061. In an epic level game, come to the table with a character whose entire build has been focused on surpassing the speed of sound in one round. Argue that whenever your character does this that everyone within 150ft should get knocked prone, take 10d6 sonic damage, and be permanently deafened. And, of course, if you're feeling especially evil, neglect to tell your party members about this rule.

1062. As an epic level wizard in the above character's party, research an epic spell that let's the above character exceed the speed of light.
    Now either . . .
    A) Tell the character and win the campaign before it even begins with some time-travel nonsense.

Or . . .

B) Only tell the DM and gloat like all get out when the player does their shtick and finds out that they just ran into the Precambrian. Have fun xp farming when only the first multicelled organisms have evolved.
    " . . .if you fail to achieve something, obviously you're not being overpowered enough "
    - Somensjev

"That should be D&D's slogan: Fatuus Lex, Sed Lex (The law is stupid, but it is the law)"
    - atemu1234

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Glue Styx View Post
    1061. In an epic level game, come to the table with a character whose entire build has been focused on surpassing the speed of sound in one round. Argue that whenever your character does this that everyone within 150ft should get knocked prone, take 10d6 sonic damage, and be permanently deafened.
    1061b) DM: Okay, everyone includes you.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    letmeallcaps
    WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    I like the way you stink
    - Somensjev

- atemu1234

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Quite on the contrary, the rules says that humans sleep.
    In addition to what Andezzar posted, dysfunctionally, humans aren't humanoids by RAW - they have no monster manual entry, and nowhere states they are humanoids as far as I know. But before trying to use RAW in a game, maybe we should stop and take a deep breath.

On topic:
    1062: (As a player) Play an Apostle of Peace
    1063: As above, but with an addiction to casting Nonlethal Substitution Fireball
    1064: ...and bad aim

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

1065. As the DM, suddenly and without warning, begin responding to player statements by saying "I'm sorry, all actions must be put in the form of a question
    - Somensjev

- atemu1234

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Titan in the Playground

1065. As the DM, suddenly and without warning, begin responding to player statements by saying "I'm sorry, all actions must be put in the form of a question
    1066. Following 1065, answer the questions with "No."
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    1066. Following 1065, answer the questions with "No."
    1067. "The next time I ask permission for something stupid, what word or phrase will you use as an answer?" "Do you mind if I..."
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Titan in the Playground

1068. Create a Multiheaded Half-Blue dragon Half-Green dragon Half-White dragon Half-Black dragon Red Dragon. Pretend it is Tiamat.

1069. Create a Half-Blue dragon Half-Green dragon Half-White dragon Half-Black dragon Half-Red Dragon Hydra. Regenerating Tiamat!
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

21. - Top - End - #1341

1070: create an NPC that is critical to the story line who reposnds to any question with "That's a stupid question" and will only say something different if the players make statements as opposed to asking questions.
    Last edited by Ferronach; 2015-01-08 at 01:59 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    In addition to what Andezzar posted, dysfunctionally, humans aren't humanoids by RAW - they have no monster manual entry, and nowhere states they are humanoids as far as I know. But before trying to use RAW in a game, maybe we should stop and take a deep breath.

On topic:
    1062: (As a player) Play an Apostle of Peace
    1063: As above, but with an addiction to casting Nonlethal Substitution Fireball
    1064: ...and bad aim

The ranger favored enemy block says that humans are definitely humanoid. By RAW.

Because I'm not lazy:
    1071: Negate the DM's "Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies" by having improved evasion. Proceed to roll a nat 20 on the reflex save for falling objects, and survive.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Inconsistent and nonsensical rulings
    "Touch my rice bowl will you... Summon the commoner warlocks!" "We have gathered the material components my lord!" millions of chickens died that day.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IZ42 View Post
    The ranger favored enemy block says that humans are definitely humanoid. By RAW.
    No, they say that a ranger can have humanoids with the human subtype as favored enemies. It does not say that a human (as specific creature) has the humanoid type and the human subtype. Those are not the same even thought the same word is used for both. A different example: assume the ranger has favored enemy humanoid (gnome). Unless the rules tell us that svirfneblin are humanoids with the gnome subtype, the favored enemy bonus does not apply. Exactly that classification is missing for humans.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ogre in the Playground

No, they say that a ranger can have humanoids with the human subtype as favored enemies. It does not say that a human (as specific creature) has the humanoid type and the human subtype. Those are not the same even thought the same word is used for both. A different example: assume the ranger has favored enemy humanoid (gnome). Unless the rules tell us that svirfneblin are humanoids with the gnome subtype, the favored enemy bonus does not apply. Exactly that classification is missing for humans.
    I see what you're saying: Does THIS resolve any bit of the conflict?
    Show
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IZ42 View Post
    I see what you're saying: Does THIS resolve any bit of the conflict?
    It does indeed for Pathfinder. 3.5 has no such table.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ogre in the Playground

It does indeed for Pathfinder. 3.5 has no such table.
    Oooooooooh. Silly me for assuming everyone was talking in pathfinder terms.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Orc in the Playground

tongue Re: 1001+ ways to screw with your DM/Party

Thank you to everyone who commented, contributed and viewed this thread... we are highish up on the 1st page of all-time views and all-time replies... I never even thought that this would be as popular as it is... i thought maybe it will get to 200 if im lucky.... but well past 1k im amazed... The funny thing is the OP was the 1st thing i ever posted on the site... I had no activity on the site, besides just looking at stuff... I decided this would be a fun thing to post, but it blew up faster and bigger than i had planned or even imagined... so thank you to everyone for contributing and laughing... :)
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup" - Wisest Wizard Ever

I am the OP of the (now completed) thread 1001+ Ways to screw with your DM/Party

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

1072. Amulet Against Chaotic Dungeon Master.
    DM: "Rocks fall, you die."
    PC: "I think you mean, 'Rocks fall, you die.'
    DM:
    PC: I thought so.
    - Somensjev

- atemu1234

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Orc in the Playground

1072. Amulet Against Chaotic Dungeon Master.
    DM: "Rocks fall, you die."
    PC: "I think you mean, 'Rocks fall, you die.'
    DM:
    PC: I thought so.
    That sounds like an awesome item…..
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup" - Wisest Wizard Ever

I am the OP of the (now completed) thread 1001+ Ways to screw with your DM/Party