New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Black Rose, Green Sun

Higher Learning

The little guardians breathe a sigh of relief when someone bigger and stronger interposes herself, although they're not at all willing to let up. An altercation between titans (small-t) might be as bad as letting the ape remain, so they are prepared to strike quickly.

"Can't you hear it?" the ape stumbles and steadies himself, he's definitely had too many, "haven't heard that one almost since I was right off the spikes. The hmmmhmmmhmmmm whummmm," he tries to match the tune the library's custodian is playing; he's got a better singing voice than one might expect, but there's a good reason blood apes aren't known for their mastery of song.

"I remember it. Tomescu screaming all around us, blood up to my ankles. Chariot rolled straight by us, missed me by this much," he holds up his hand and indicates a space of about an inch. "Snikt! Half of the troop just falls apart. Doesn't seem fair, I thought, just started and out you go again. Forty of us. I must be the only one left now. Can't you hear it? Listen."

Spoiler
    Show
    Kaimi: If I'm interpreting the charm correctly, his most important social tie at the moment is to an old flame, a harpist of whom he was fond a long time go (who he assumes is also gone now). That she has so many threshold successes and gets such a distant relationship suggests either that he is mostly friendless, or that he's powerfully nostalgic when drunk. Or both.

Saffron: He's a little higher essence (ess 3). He's stronger than the average blood ape, enough so that he could probably take the defenders long enough to get them to back off. His motivation is to witness the bloodiest battles; again, not exactly the usual but not strongly off-type.

It might get him citizenship, but the odds are... kind of slim?
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2014-06-05 at 03:44 PM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Dream On
    Their wayward passenger aboard, the ship lurches as the captain spurs her men to action. The Infernal palaces are soon out of sight as the airship, swift beyond reckoning, speeds away before the Black Boar can decide that Round Two is necessary for a test.

A beautiful silver fire Gilmyne approaches the two where they drink. "Would the Masters perchance prefer to take their leisure in the private lounge while we are held aloft? We could see you served in much greater comfort," it says, a faint reverberation carrying through its voice.

"All hands, stand by to climb!" Captain Liquin shouts from her place at the helm.

"Ah, hold that thought a moment." It hands a pair of clawed hooks to each of them, their purpose soon become clear as the ship tilts upward, and upward, and upward, until it is almost flying vertical. The demon crew dig themselves into the deck with considerable practice, until little raised struts spring from the deck to let them carry on their duties (and, conveniently, let the Boar and the Maestro finish drinking).

The sky is thick with agata today, their jeweled bodies glimmering in the sun like a treasure trove that one merely needs to reach out and pluck, the faintest whispers of their musings wafting along on the wind.
    Spoiler
    Show

Or reach out and ride, as the case may be.

"As I was saying," the gilmyne says calmly, "if the good Princes wish entertainment on their flight, it can be provided."
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2014-06-05 at 03:49 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Higher Learning

Kaimi smiles over her shoulder at the little guardians, and then turns back to the blood ape, folding her lower hands.

"If you can hear it well enough from here, can't you just sit down outside the library and enjoy your drink?" she points out, suiting words to action and seating herself on the shallow steps. It may slow her slightly in a fight, but the great boneless length of her coiled tail can still lash out with a serpent's striking speed from this position. As for the ape, he looks unsteady enough that sitting down would probably be a good idea.

She tilts her head, curious, as she looks up at the erymanthos. "Where was it, that battle? Did it have a name? They say this library holds the most famed and strangest songs of Malfeas."

A surreptitious - well, intended to be surreptitious - glance at Saffron asks for help. She can play on his nostalgia, perhaps on the memory of music, but her friend has advantages here that she does not. Although she is curious, and she does listen, trying to pick out the overguardian's melody from the lesser threads of music. Her quick glance at the Architect is less pleading and more wary: she has no idea how the other Prince will react to the distraction.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2014-06-07 at 07:54 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Boar holds with little effort on her part, she continues her drink as the ship goes vertical. With a glance skyward. "Flag me down one of those Agatae, I like a bit of panache when I am instilling fear into fools." She hands the glass to the demon expecting a refill. "And have it saddled for me." She turns to the maestro. "Would you like one Maestro?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm afraid I never saw the use in straddling a beast ans as such lack the ability to now mount one of our glittering philosophers. A shame. I've been told that flight under their power is a delight. Although I think I would prefer self directed aerial locomotion."
    He narrows his eyes at the silver flame as it moves farther away from them. Crooks a finger at the sinuous demonic conflagration.
    "You are a dancer no? I would like to test one of my latest compositions."
    Chaotic Evil Orc Barbarian as my character of choice since 2002.
    Current Josiah, God of Decay Avatar by Akrim.elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Black Blur ™ By kpenguin Full Orc Barbarian By Qwernt

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Architect

Spoiler: Kaimi
    Show

In her mind's eye, Kaimi sees the Imperial Manse, the Sword of Creation, in all its glory. The lynchpin of the Realm. A masterwork of design, form, function.

In her mind's eye, the Lunar sees a different structure replace the Realm Defense Grid. Still formless, still shapeless but nonetheless present, it is by far the greater of the two. At its very tip, the Architect lays the final stone of the building, and supplants the foundation of The Scarlet Empress's authority as "greatest."

The Architect nods politely at Saffron. He knows of her. Intrigue. Manipulation. Untrustworthy as only a Fiend can be. But...polite. Nice. Far more subtle than he.

What is her real agenda, other than the one chosen for us?

"Saffron in Winter. It is always a pleasure to work with a fellow Chosen."

Who is her bodyguard?

He could rip that knowledge from her head, if he chose. But doing so would destabilize any foundation of trust he could build. No. Better to watch and wait.

...The blood ape is a fool, and a lout, and has no business in this library. He could tear him from this place, tear his flesh, dissolve his bones...

No, the orb reminds him. Patience.

And the Architect is patient, if nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Higher Learning

Saffron returns the look a bit blankly, as if to say: what exactly are you trying to do here, Kaimi? Remember we have a goal? Your goal? All right, so asking after Five-Days-Questing will be a bit more difficult if there’s a brawl going on in the library. Maybe that’s all she’s trying to do, get this fellow to go away or calm down before he starts a fight. Sure. Problem: can't be heavy-handed without putting Kaimi off. Problem: can't use a light touch in front of the Architect. What does she expect me to do here? I can't just sit down and start chatting with him like he’s an old friend.

Another voice intrudes on her thoughts, a susurrus like wind through leaves: And what do you want out of this situation, Saffron in Winter?

Sound question. She doesn't want to look bad. She wants to get on with the mission rather than wasting time with a drunken monkey. Saffron doesn't need her coadjutor to ask the follow-up question: what can I say that gets me what I want? She could speak up and nudge the ape into a quieter sort of drunkenness, maybe. Or steer him towards leaving. Or...

But the voice offers a different prompt instead.

Is that all you want? Tsk. Such humble goals.

... all right, if I thinks along the lines of profit rather than escape... he might not be a citizen, but he's not your everyday serf either. Weak enough to need me, strong enough to maybe be useful. She can sense her coadjutor's approval like a warm blanket. The memory of its smile flashes to mind, carved wooden lips twisting upwards into an almost-merry grin. It's pulling her strings, of course. That's what the crying-mask-demons do. But she knows it's happening, and the demon can only do so much trapped inside her head. She can keep an eye on its goals, and stop playing along if need be; and besides, its advice is usually good. Their fates are inextricably intertwined.

"So it's the music that draws you here, then?" Her voice holds lazy confidence as she enters the conversation, absolutely assured of her right to stand here and speak. Too confident for an apparent Demon-Blood in the Demon City, far too confident for a mortal slave or stranger. "Fair enough. Music is every citizen's right." At the word citizen she flashes a quick smile, half-amused and half-mocking. "But you're making a fuss, and that fuss is keeping me from where I want to be right now. I hope you're interesting enough to be worth it. Care to make a wager? Repay me for time lost?" Her tone is lighter than her words, enticing at the end; surely you want to know what kind of wager I'm offering, at least?

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think this quite qualifies as a social attack; maybe set-up for one? Let me know when you want me to roll, in any case.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Dream On

"I am humble of skill, my lord," the silver light contracted in a sinuous pattern; the Gilmyne bowed to the Maestro with a bit of a flourish, "though My Lady does me great honor, I am versed in scarce more than seven thousand forms. But by your enlightened instruction I will gladly create more."

A few of the other crew members of the airship, man-sized lizards with beady eyes and human hands, dripping a black oil, complied with Boar's request. One of them leaned over the side of the boat and said over the side in a loud voice, "is life a problem to be solved, or a reality to be experienced?"

The effect was immediate, a whole wing of agatae flitted in close to the boat to help him ponder this conundrum. One of the others whispered to the Brass Boar, "which one is most to your liking, the blue, the purple or the red?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Zone Sixty-Six

The demon-blood she finds is rake-thin and completely hairless; Laurel can see all of his ribs, as well as his collarbone, his femurs, pelvis... the list goes on. He's more like a skeleton with skin stretched over it. His tail is little more than a scarred, withered stump, and he looks at her with glazed eyes as more of his skin flakes off. He starts to speak, and something catches in his throat. He falls off to one side, and she can see his arm break from the impact.

Then he vomits a horde of black rats, far larger than he should be able to contain, which scurry away into the spaces between stones. It takes him some time, and when he finally speaks, his voice is like the scratching of nails on iron.

"N-never f-felt better."

Yep. That's one of the healthier ones, on the outskirts at least.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Laurel steps back, a disgusted sneer on her face. "It almost makes me think it might be simpler to put these poor wretches out of their misery," She mutters under her breath.

She reapplies her false smile as she looks down to the man who had just vomited the swarm of rats.

"You don't have to lie to me. I won't hurt you. Please, tell me how this happened."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

As the flame whittled down upon Boar's shoulders and her mutations faded, blades still visible upon her brow. The girl glanced about the Agatae and flagged over the red one. "You match my green sunny disposition." She flags for a demon to prepare a saddle. "I will also need one of you to be there in the event we have to take him with us. you in purple, you will fly with. The man fancies himself a Prince, lets spoil him with royal colors." She looks to the mount being prepared. "What is your name?"

She seems to be awfully cordial to the demons that are slaves. This demon knows from reputation full well that despite her temper she respects an individual, no matter their status on the food chain. This Agatae knows they can simply say no. She'd simply ask another. Boar however had a feeling the Agatae would say yes simply to be provided some status as a steed to one of the Yozi's prized chosen.
    Last edited by Kell_tamer; 2014-06-22 at 04:26 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

The Defiler opens his mouth and the sounds that trickle out begin inhumanly. The soft tinkling of chimes and a delicate few notes of piano drift upon the air. Within seconds his voice joins the inhuman sounds. It lifts and carries words of nonsense, sounds meant to imitate beauty unheard sense the cataclysm of the spheres. Alecander has done his best, tried his hardest to recreate the music of the spheres. To reshape the hierarchy into a purer more lyrical form that invades the ear of man and myth alike to force obedience to their nature. His voice pierces to the center of the flame. And brings with it a sweetly sung command.

Kneel.
    Spoiler: Ave Maria
    Show
    Activating Alecander's choker. Rolling Performance + Charisma + Three dot specialty in Singing
    (12d10)[8][5][3][7][4][3][2][2][7][7][5][8](61)
    Stunt if any, (3d10)[10][3][7](20)
    If his successes are greater then the Demon's DMDV+Temperance it's forced to kneel. If they merely exceed it's DMDV it's forced to dance.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Higher Learning

The Blood Ape didn't appear to need any more prompting to sit down; the gentle admonishments and lack of immediate challenge were visibly more effective than the little guardians' threats with spears, and with a great *whumph* he sat on the steps next to Kaimi, nursing his flask.

"Longer than you think," was all he could answer to the question of how long it had been, "There's a name, what was it," he took a second to think about it, then shook his shaggy red head, "can'r remember. I don' even know this song, maybe they made it afterward. But oh, listen, there they are!" It was harder to hear on the steps; he craned his ear to listen. The tones shifted between two opposing extremes, two counterpoints, two generals in a battle. A bright and sharp melody, but the harmony underlying it kept trying to encroach upon it in broad, flat but still beautiful notes.

"The Lanterns and the Manse," he nodded to himself, taking another swig, regarding Kaimi. It wasn't likely he had anticipated a wager, but that didn't seem to stop him. "A bet! I accept. What is it?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Zone Sixty-Six
    "I don't know," the demon-blood coughed violently again, "some people think it came from below, that they're," he gestured with his good arm at the fleeing black rats, "going back, feeding something that's down there."

Even despite his condition, the man smiled, "joke's on it. We're going get it back."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Higher Learning

"The Street of Golden Lanterns and the Manse of Echoes Ascending? Interesting! And yes, I hear it now..." Kaimi hums along very softly, trying to reproduce the melody - although Saffron would probably wince at her attempt. "Did you know what they were fighting over?"

When the blood ape cavalierly accepts Saffron's unspecified wager, Kaimi grins, albeit with a hint of dismay. Saffron won't take advantage of the demon's enthusiasm - she thinks - but so many others in Malfeas would. She tilts her head up at her friend, curious, and waits for an explanation or a cue, watching the Architect out of the corner of her eye.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

"I see. Thank you." She straightens up and looks to her companion.

"It appears we should head below, and see what all the fuss is about."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

The Street of Golden Lanterns is a familiar name; the other, she doesn't recognize. Probably not important, just some maudlin demon maundering on -

A dry rustling sigh interrupts her thoughts. Amalion, the Manse of Echoes Ascending; fifth soul of Malfeas, foremost architect of the Demon City, and patron to Five-Days-Questing, the demon you are ostensibly searching for. Do try to pay attention, child.

Oops. Well. Probably just coincidence, she tells herself, but who knows? Maybe Kaimi's stumbled over a clue by sheer luck and happenstance. Either way, best to go on as she began. Saffron turns her attention back to the conversation.

She smiles at the ape, inwardly suppressing a wince; those two sentences are in entirely the wrong order. Really, she's doing him a favor. "We're going to play a game," she tells him. "Each of us is going to try to guess who and what the other is. If you guess right, then I owe you a favor. If I guess right, you owe me a period of service - let's say a year and a day, that's traditional. If we're both right..." Her smile quirks. "Then we both win. Sound interesting?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Social attack to entice him to accept. C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it!

Manipulation+Presence: (10d10)[1][9][3][9][9][5][1][1][5][3](46)
    Possible stunt: (3d10)[2][3][5](10)

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Kaimi grins. "You should hope she wins that bet," she offers encouragingly. "She's a good person to work for." She studies the blood ape thoughtfully, and reaches out to pat his arm companionably. The only one left now... "And it's hard to be alone in Malfeas. Better to have friends." Saffron knows her skills, and will catch the nuance: no, no other employers or allies to worry about.

She glances back up at the guardian, wondering. The Street of Golden Lanterns... is the song being played because a recent visitor to the library asked for it? Five-Days-Questing is a child of Amalion: if she sought knowledge from an ancient conflict between her progenitor and another of the Unquestionable...

Kaimi hasn't spent much time on the Street of Golden Lanterns since her arrival in Malfeas, although of course she's heard it mentioned and discussed. If that's their next destination... it should be interesting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm. Can I do social limited teamwork with Saffron, give her another die? Although he did already agree, so even with her rather subpar roll, we're probably fine.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Dream On

"What's in a name, Little Prince?" the red agata buzzes amicably, "but if you wish words to single this one out, 'Chases Rain' will do better than most." More time for pleasantries is unfortunately cut short by the intervention of the Maestro.

Short-cuts in the Demon Realm are as abundant as they are troublesome. Navigating in conceptual space like certain roads that jump between non-adjacent layers is a tricky business at the best of times; it demands a steady hand at the helm, the utmost concentration from essential personnel, the right frame of mind, and scent of sandal-wood after rain...

...and definitely no spontaneous singing and dancing. Nascent Primordial beings asserting their dominance for all to hear (expressed through song and dance) is probably something of a no-no as well. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, it will only make the trip stranger or longer or wind up in somewhere that wasn't precisely being aimed for, but is similar enough to the destination such that it's pretty clear how to get back.

As the Maestro begins to sing, to bring all things under their perfected order, the crew begins to stumble. Dancing is a precarious undertaking when one is sailing at full speed into the sun, and it's only thanks to the quick intervention of the visiting wing of agata that nobody falls off the ship and down, down, down into the wild brass yonder.

That one time out of a hundred, though.

Those'll get you.

The ship shakes as Captain Liquin yells for the Maestro to stop, but it is too late. In a clap of black thunder, the great airship winks out of the Malfean sky with all hands aboard.

When the airship slows, they are in unfamiliar space. Above is heavy with thunderheads that flash with bright lightning among themselves, never touching the airship, at least not yet. Below is a darkening mist through which hints of buildings gleam at the lightning-flashes.

All is quiet, save the booming and the buzzing of the agata's wings and the faint sound of skittering.

Nine hundred ninety-nine times, a song is just a song.

That one time in a thousand, a man's tongue has the power to split worlds.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Boar glances around and lets out a slight chuckle. "Well maestro, it appears we are now off course." She looks up at the sky. "And running late" She grins.

She looks back over to the Agatae. "Chases Rain, do you accept to be my steed when we arrive?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

"It would appear that I miscalculated. Perhaps that second crescendo was unnecessary. Still, it could be worse."
    He neglects to theorize as to how.
    "I don't suppose any of our demonic companions have a theory as to our location? If not I will endeavor to locate us."
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Zone Sixty-Six

Getting "below" wasn't quite as simple as Laurel might have intended. There were cracks in the streets, certainly, but as she started to go further into the enclave she started to see walled-off and roped-off and guarded entryways, shaded alleys under the watchful eye of demon-bloods that looked almost well enough to suit the duty, blackened stones that led to residences.

It looked like she could either tangle with private citizens in using one of their homes as an entryway, or officials of whatever governing body was left in the Quarantine Zone.

Dream On
    "Maestro, I have a feeling we're not in Tamsas any more," Captain Liquin said, getting the crew in order. "I want everyone accounted for. We're going down on an away mission, and I don't want anyone sneaking off on their own."

"It would be this one's pleasure to bear you aloft, great Prince," Chases-Rain buzzed amicably and quietly, "there are storms above us? This one would very much like to see."

Higher Learning

"But that's easy!" the ape laughed, a deep, practically burbling sound. "You're tiny and hairless and pink, and no tail or horns or hooves or rainbow eyes, you're not purple. You're an Outsider. But you're confident. Like no one can just crush you." Letting go of his drink for a moment, he picked up a stone and crushed it in his hand for emphasis. "That means... Exalted."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Higher Learning

"True, yes. If a bit vague. My turn: you..." The Fiend taps a finger to her lip, mock-thoughtful. "... are a blood ape!" Smirk. "I think I got the easier side, myself. But ah, we’re not finished yet. We’ve only guessed the what, not the who, and like you say that’s the easy part. I’ll go first this time; fair is fair, after all." Her lips quirk with amusement at that last. You’re not an utter fool, ape. You can reason out a puzzle when it’s laid before you, and you’ve lived long enough you can clearly look after yourself. But how close do you look without being told to? Have you realized yet that I never would’ve offered this contest if I didn’t already expect to win? Of course, she’d phrased it such that refusing would feel like backing down, but he hadn’t even hesitated. Something to keep in mind.

Even standing, Saffron is barely taller than the seated ape, but she makes full use of what little advantage she has, perching on the step just above and leaning down to speak in a low voice (almost a whisper). "You’re a blood ape. You were born from pain and bloodshed and cries of agony. You live for those things: they sing to your heart, to your soul, to the nihilem-blood that flows in your veins. Your kind are violent chords in the symphony of Hell. Except you’re not just another note, are you? You’ve lived longer than most erymanthoi, and somewhere along the line you got attached. Sometime in your youth, I think - maybe even your first battle, when you watched your birth-companions get mowed down before they got to do... well, anything, really. You’re not stupid. You know damn well the same thing could happen to you any day. And now you’re finding it’s not so easy to throw yourself into a fight, because you don’t want things to end just yet. You’re no coward, you still like a good fight, but you can’t get away from that awareness. You know it’ll kill you, and yet you can't stay away, don't want to stay away. Paradox. That’s why you’re here, I'd wager, drinking yourself into a stupor, rather than working as a legbreaker or soldier for some lord. Remembering battles past, rather than going out and living new ones."

She stands up straight, her voice returning to its normal volume. "How am I doing so far?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Presence-based social attack to impress him with her insight/make him feel his life is a little bit hopeless or empty! I feel this is actually a fair guess based on Hellscry Chakra and what he's said, but even if it's not really on target she's trying to evoke that mood. I think her Poisoned Whispers specialty applies; she is literally whispering uncanny truths (or convincing speculation and lies) about himself into his ear.

I am not sure if the Ebon Dragon Excellency is applicable; revealing unpleasant truths or character flaws is definitely in-theme, and she has a selfish ulterior motive (make him feel like he could use a change of pace, i.e. working for her), but at the same time it doesn't feel all that mean-spirited. A case could be made either way: she's trying to manipulate and take advantage of him, but he might well get something out of it too. If possible, I'll spend 4m enhancing the roll - let me know either way.

Manipulation+Presence(+coadjutor bonus): (12d10)[8][5][5][4][7][1][3][3][6][7][4][4](57)
    Specialty: (3d10)[6][9][10](25)
    Possible stunt dice: (3d10)[4][8][9](21)
    Possible Excellency dice: (4d10)[3][4][6][4](17)
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2014-08-13 at 03:46 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Laurel looks around for what appears to be the most convenient entrance to the undertown. She knows convincing one of the residents would probably be easier, and so she goes down the black stone walkway to the nearest house and knocks politely.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Boar grins at the suggestion of the Agatae. "I agree, we should take a look!" She snaps her fingers to the demon that was carrying the saddle. "Let's get you ready and we can go up there."

She mounts the Agatae and looks back up. "Let's go!"
    Last edited by Kell_tamer; 2014-07-28 at 10:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Zone Sixty-Six

The demon-blooded woman that greets Laurel is gaunt with great furred ears, one of the more humanlike of the zone's denizens. She looks more well than the poor wretches on the street, only a bit of labored breathing, but quite haggard; the sharp smell of home remedies and the crying of children emanates from beyond the door.

"Don't suppose I can help you with aught, little lady?" she says once she's looked over Laurel properly.

Higher Learning

"Hah," the blood ape assents, "you're sharp, or maybe you just know lots of things and lots of people. You're right, I could stomp on all the new blood who jump in head first, but what good would it do?

So I watch. But you're only half right."
    He looked at Kaimi carefully as the wheels in his head turned, one didn't entirely ignore advice from giant friendly serpent-ladies, "les call it, half a year, half a day, and shee if you're as sharp as you sound."

He offered the flask to Saffron, "Drink on it?"

Dream On

"Hey! I just said stick to-" Captain Liquin's protests fade away as Chases-Rain ascents, quick as just blinking through space, straight up to arrive among the rolling lightning clouds above the airship. Arcs crackled straight past them with the smell of ozone and the tingle of electricity starting to make bits of Boar's hair stand on end. There was no rain, however, only wind and ash among the clouds.

"O wild West wind, thou breath of Autumn's being," Chases-Rain buzzed happily. At the closer distance and with the bright electricity right there, Boar could make out vague shapes among the clouds - not quite humanoid, but definitely not stationary either.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2014-08-09 at 06:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Boar just got done riding on the back of a Yozi. This sight didn't perturb her much. With her arms crossed and herself planted firmly in the saddle she rode the agatae toward the shapes. She would be almost imposing in this state were it not for the fact she was only four feet tall.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Laurel laughs mirthlessly. "Oh, of course you can help me. I'm here to help you all, after all. Can you tell me how to get beneath the city? I can ensure that doing so is well worth your while."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Me first," Kaimi says promptly, with an approving grin at the blood ape, and reaches out to take a swallow from the flask. If it's poisonous, well, she has more body-weight than Saffron, to absorb it. And she has to admit she's a little curious.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Saffron gives the ape a narrow half-smile in answer, a suitably ambiguous answer to the compliment-with-qualifiers. So, you're not content to be led by the nose all the time. Smart enough to be interested, honorable enough to concede the bet. Promising. And now that this diversion is close to done, we can get back to our actual job...

She reaches out to take the flask once Kaimi is done.