New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Dragon Age 3 II: [This Thread Title Was Deemed Inappropriate By The Chantry]

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Really? My thoughts on their similarities involved them murdering each other. I don't think I've ever seen two aggressively passionate people on the opposite side of such a sticky argument do anything but fight with each other. But these two have magic and swords and don't have any qualms with killing, so I expect it to be more fun to watch.
    Rule #1 of fiction: The more two people hate each other, the more easily it can be interpreted as sexual tension instead.

See also Aveline and Isabela and their lack of personal space while fighting.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2014-07-23 at 08:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Age 3 II: [This Thread Title Was Deemed Inappropriate By The Chantry]

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Rule #1 of fiction: The more two people hate each other, the more easily it can be interpreted as sexual tension instead.

Also Alistair and Morrigan. She makes some rather arch comments to him about "sucking."

(Come to think of it, neither of them objects particularly strenuously when it comes to making the god-baby.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-07-23 at 08:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Titan in the Playground

People interpret weird stuff in fiction. I don't think I've ever seen real people act this way after 2nd grade.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the more people will interpret it that way, anyway. Whether those interpretations have any actual merit is always open for debate.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #1205

People interpret weird stuff in fiction. I don't think I've ever seen real people act this way after 2nd grade.
    Art imitates life, and there's plenty of art about this. Shakespeare anyone?
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    There's also plenty of art about zombies, and I'm pretty sure they don't exist.
    We are the Blorg. You will be befriended. Resistance is impolite.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avian Overlord View Post
    Depending on your definition of "zombie". There are more than a few diseases that cause flesh to rot off slowly(syphilis being key among them), and then there's the real world inspiration involving west Indian drugs to strip away a lot of brain functions. Or a hundred other borderline examples.

Literal walking corpses are currently impossible, but the inspiration and visual parallels have always been clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, yeah I guess it is a fairly common cliche. But the more I think about it the more unhealthy the whole relationship becomes. And come now, Shakespeare was the guy whose most famous play was about two 14 year olds meeting at a party for 10 seconds, deciding they were in love and in reckless idiocy get half a dozen people killed along with themselves. And it's supposed to be taken seriously. I mean, I love Old Shakey, but for Othelo, Hamlet, King Lear, and even his histories. His romances always fell flat. I mean, there are a few people I despise, who if I saw in a sinking ship, I would probably root for the water. That's hatred. It's quite different from affection. I don't see how people can have difficulty telling them apart. But, maybe it's just me.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2014-07-24 at 01:23 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    Depending on your definition of "zombie". There are more than a few diseases that cause flesh to rot off slowly(syphilis being key among them), and then there's the real world inspiration involving west Indian drugs to strip away a lot of brain functions. Or a hundred other borderline examples.

Literal walking corpses are currently impossible, but the inspiration and visual parallels have always been clear.
    Yes, because that is clearly what he meant...
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

10. - Top - End - #1210

Orly?

I mean, yeah I guess it is a fairly common cliche. But the more I think about it the more unhealthy the whole relationship becomes. And come now, Shakespeare was the guy whose most famous play was about two 14 year olds meeting at a party for 10 seconds, deciding they were in love and in reckless idiocy get half a dozen people killed along with themselves. And it's supposed to be taken seriously. I mean, I love Old Shakey, but for Othelo, Hamlet, King Lear, and even his histories. His romances always fell flat. I mean, there are a few people I despise, who if I saw in a sinking ship, I would probably root for the water. That's hatred. It's quite different from affection. I don't see how people can have difficulty telling them apart. But, maybe it's just me.
    Wait, you expected realism from R&J? The one where a teenager self-induced a 42-hour chemical coma with just the right dosage to come out with perfect lucidity and without the slightest knowledge of medicine?

This didn't happen in R&J anyway (a tragedy) - this is a romantic comedy trope as it is almost always played for laughs. "Oh, why don't you two just bone already?" (This is almost word for word what Shepard say to Jack and Miranda during the Citadel party.) It thus happens in plays like Much Ado About Nothing and Taming of the Shrew.

Also, cliches become cliches for a reason.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-07-24 at 07:09 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't really see how pointing out how modern zombie mythology takes things that actually happen, albeit extremely rarely, and distorts them beyond recognition in any way harms my position. And besides, both you and I know I was talking about the Romerian hordes.
    Also, cliches become cliches for a reason.
    And this reason is that they are entertaining, not that they reflect reality in any way.
    We are the Blorg. You will be befriended. Resistance is impolite.

12. - Top - End - #1212

And this reason is that they are entertaining, not that they reflect reality in any way.
    Tropes relating to human nature wouldn't resonate with the public consciousness if they were outlandish.

Regardless, all I really have to say is that I have seen this in real life, so it really doesn't matter one bit if you and Dienekes have not. I could even say something dismissive like "when you're older you'll understand" or "when you get to know more people you'll see it too"and nothing you say in response will change the fact that I have witnessed it myself. It resonated with Shakespeare, it resonated with Bioware, and with every other writer on that tropes page enough that they have put it in their various works, and that's all that matters.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I like how this turned into an argument about real-world relationships when I specifically mentioned this as a rule of fiction. Regardless of whether it happens in real life, it happens in fiction all the time, and if it doesn't, the audience reads it in anyway, which was the point I was trying to make.

For the record, I think the "I hate you and all you stand for -> sloppy makeouts" sort of relationship does happen in real life, though it tends to lead to brief, impassioned sexual relationships rather than long-term romance, but that's completely irrelevant to the point here.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I've been replaying DA:O, and I just got to the Arcane Warrior phylactery in the Brecilian Ruins. It's strange how much one can forget about a game, especially with all the lore that goes into Bioware games.

I had forgotten that the humans were the ones that built the ruins, and the elves actually took it from them. This implies an advanced human culture separate from the Tevinter Imperium, that may also have predated them.

The spirit in the phylactery also "tells" you that that there was a great battle, in which elves and humans fled from a terrible presence. The phylactery hass no memories of being defeated by humans, and since we know that the Tevinter Imperium eventually arrived in the Brecillian Forest and conquered it and its elves, this memory likely predates the Blight. So what is this terrible presence? Demons? Flemeth? Could it be whatever is responsible for the events of DA:I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Orc in the Playground

A wild elfquisitor appeared!

Spoiler
    Show

I'd guess this picture was taken early game due to the arguing about giving land for the inquisition.

Also it seems we might see more of her at gamescon.
    Grand avatar by the grand Oneris.
    Spoiler: Awesome Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Play nice, boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.
    Devout Omnian in the playground

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StabbityRabbit View Post
    A wild elfquisitor appeared!

Spoiler
    Show

I'd guess this picture was taken early game due to the arguing about giving land for the inquisition.

Also it seems we might see more of her at gamescon.
    So, who is that supposed to be? We know all of the companions and advisors, unless we've been lied to about their numbers.

Anyway though, I've taken to replaying DA2, since I wanted to do so sometime before Inquisition comes out. Playing something of a double first for me: my first Warrior in DA2, and my first dark-skinned character. The latter only really being noteworthy because of Bethany. I knew your appearance affected your family's, of course, but I was surprised to find it also changes Bethany's hair style. (I don't think it affected Carver's, but then I haven't had Carver as the survivor since the first time I played the game, so maybe I just didn't notice.) It's kinda weird seeing her with short, straight hair.

Playing as a Warrior has been a bit interesting too. I didn't know that they had added a dash attack that you do when at a moderate distance from your target in 2. Very good idea that. Makes me wonder what the point of the grappling hooks in 3 is though, since I thought closing the distance like that was their purpose. I guess pulling an enemy in is different from getting yourself in, but I thought they were going to do both.

Also, anyone have build tips for a two-handed Warrior? I've already taken the Berserker specialization, and plan to take most or all of that tree's talents and upgrades. My second will surely be Reaver, but I'm thinking I'll only take its first talent, the passive that gives bonus damage for the damage you've taken - the rest seem more iffy, except for the one that gives an attack speed bonus for killing an enemy, but that one requires too many others be taken first. I figure I'll be focusing on massive damage output in general, so probably more from the Vanguard tree than the others.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

The Cleave talent from the Vanguard tree is pretty nice. Using it and following it up with the Whirlwind attack can clear out mooks very nicely. Or following it up with Mighty Blow on a brittle enemy. Your damage output as a two-handed warrior actually won't be all that great until a while later, or at least it wasn't for me. Berserker will also leave you strapped for stamina at first.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    So, who is that supposed to be? We know all of the companions and advisors, unless we've been lied to about their numbers.

Anyway though, I've taken to replaying DA2, since I wanted to do so sometime before Inquisition comes out. Playing something of a double first for me: my first Warrior in DA2, and my first dark-skinned character. The latter only really being noteworthy because of Bethany. I knew your appearance affected your family's, of course, but I was surprised to find it also changes Bethany's hair style. (I don't think it affected Carver's, but then I haven't had Carver as the survivor since the first time I played the game, so maybe I just didn't notice.) It's kinda weird seeing her with short, straight hair.

Playing as a Warrior has been a bit interesting too. I didn't know that they had added a dash attack that you do when at a moderate distance from your target in 2. Very good idea that. Makes me wonder what the point of the grappling hooks in 3 is though, since I thought closing the distance like that was their purpose. I guess pulling an enemy in is different from getting yourself in, but I thought they were going to do both.

Also, anyone have build tips for a two-handed Warrior? I've already taken the Berserker specialization, and plan to take most or all of that tree's talents and upgrades. My second will surely be Reaver, but I'm thinking I'll only take its first talent, the passive that gives bonus damage for the damage you've taken - the rest seem more iffy, except for the one that gives an attack speed bonus for killing an enemy, but that one requires too many others be taken first. I figure I'll be focusing on massive damage output in general, so probably more from the Vanguard tree than the others.
    Complete the Two-handed tree and the Vanguard tree first. Keep the passives that favor damage on at all time. Keep a 3:2 ratio between Str and Con. Invest in Will whenever you can or whenever you find that your running out of stamina. Reaver is a bit better than Berserker for this sort of gameplay in this game. Invest in most of the Reaver tree, especially the ability that let's you suck health from an enemy.
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

It's just one of the devs' elven Inquisitor characters.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

20. - Top - End - #1220

It's just one of the devs' elven Inquisitor characters.
    Oh, is that a PC? When you he said "we'll see more of her at Gamescon" it seemed like this was a new NPC.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-07-27 at 10:02 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Orc in the Playground

*snip*
    You seem to be making the assumption that bioware kept a dash type attack in DA:I which I don't think they have. If bioware had kept a dash attack in then why wouldn't they show one in a gameplay video?

Also from the looks of things it seems that you'll get a different grappling hook ability depending on your class. From one trailer you could see a rogue use a grappling hook that pulled him towards his target, and when you see the grappling hook ability that pulls the enemy towards you it was utilized by a warrior.
    Last edited by StabbityRabbit; 2014-07-27 at 09:21 PM.
    Show
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Play nice, boys.
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

You seem to be making the assumption that bioware kept a dash type attack in DA:I which I don't think they have. If bioware had kept a dash attack in then why wouldn't they show one in a gameplay video?

Also from the looks of things it seems that you'll get a different grappling hook ability depending on your class. From one trailer you could see a rogue use a grappling hook that pulled him towards his target, and when you see the grappling hook ability that pulls the enemy towards you it was utilized by a warrior.
    Unless they're simply reusing the icon for a different attack, that dash attack is still in Inquisition.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Orc in the Playground

Unless they're simply reusing the icon for a different attack, that dash attack is still in Inquisition.
    I'm an idiot.

When I read dash attack I thought Zevox meant the basic attack that triggered at mid-range. Only now has my brain put together that Zevox was referring to the attack that allowed you to dash through enemies.

I'll go edit my post.

Moving on it seems they've changed the way the ability acts a bit, but it is very much in Inquisition.
    Show
    Play nice, boys.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Titan in the Playground

Reaver is a bit better than Berserker for this sort of gameplay in this game. Invest in most of the Reaver tree, especially the ability that let's you suck health from an enemy.
    Really? Because so far I'm pretty darn happy with the Berserker tree. Barrage with Berserk active drains stamina fast, sure (though since I just recently got the upgrade that cuts stamina cost for Berserk in half it's not too bad, actually), but it also drains enemy health pretty fast, which is actually rather impressive given the health bloat the game suffers from. Synergizes nicely with the Second Wind power, too, which I also picked up.

Oh, is that a PC? When you said "we'll see more of her at Gamescon" it seemed like this was a new NPC.
    Yeah, I thought the same.

Wait, they're giving grappling hooks to Rogues too? I thought that was supposed to be the Warrior class' new thing specifically.

I'm an idiot.

When I read dash attack I thought Zevox meant the basic attack that triggered at mid-range. Only now has my brain put together that Zevox was referring to the attack that allowed you to dash through enemies.
    No, you were right the first time. The basic attack that triggers at mid-range is exactly what I meant. Origins had nothing like that, which is why I was happy to see it. No more awkwardly auto-walking into attack range because I'm not already breathing down my opponent's neck.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2014-07-27 at 09:07 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Orc in the Playground

*snip*

Both rogues and warriors will have grappling hooks, but as I said earlier they have different functions. So the warrior still has a new feature, but the rogue has a very similar new feature as well.

So it looks like I'm going to go change my post again.

Speaking of changing posts should I go change the post about the new pic of the inquisitor? People seem to generally confused as to what I meant.
    Show
    Play nice, boys.

26. - Top - End - #1226

Edited my post as I mistook you for Candle above.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Really? Because so far I'm pretty darn happy with the Berserker tree. Barrage with Berserk active drains stamina fast, sure (though since I just recently got the upgrade that cuts stamina cost for Berserk in half it's not too bad, actually), but it also drains enemy health pretty fast, which is actually rather impressive given the health bloat the game suffers from. Synergizes nicely with the Second Wind power, too, which I also picked up.
    I didn't say that Berserker can't work, I just don't typically go for it. The whole point of the build I'm alluding to is use a burst of powers to tear down opponents before using the Reaver power to heal yourself. I've found it to be quite effective, but I find that the Berserk ability can cut into my stamina, limiting the amount of bursts I'm capable of.

Edit: ...That went somewhere horrible at the end...
    Last edited by Beowulf DW; 2014-07-27 at 10:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Orc in the Playground

Edited my post as I mistook you for Candle above.
    That's understandable. Candle did have a sort of monopoly on information before.
    Show
    Play nice, boys.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Titan in the Playground

Both rogues and warriors will have grappling hooks, but as I said earlier they have different functions. So the warrior still has a new feature, but the rogue has a very similar new feature as well.
    Right, I got that. What confuses me is that I thought I'd heard they were specifically the new thing for Warriors only before.

So it looks like I'm going to go change my post again.
    Y'know, it would've been better to just repeat what you had to say in this post instead. No reason to make people look back for your earlier one when you're typing the new one anyway.

Why would they remove them, though? They're a simple, elegant way to let Warriors get in quickly. There's no reason to change them.

And as far as gameplay videos go, we actually haven't seen too much of Warrior gameplay - the Inquisitor they've shown was mostly the Kossith Mage, and there were only short instances showing Iron Bull being controlled, always already up close to whoever he was fighting.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Orc in the Playground

Right, I got that. What confuses me is that I thought I'd heard they were specifically the new thing for Warriors only before.
    Really? That's odd. I don't think I've ever heard of that.

Y'know, it would've been better to just repeat what you had to say in this post instead. No reason to make people look back for your earlier one when you're typing the new one anyway.
    That would've been the smart thing to do, but I seem to have this habit of making things harder than they should be.

Why would they remove them, though? They're a simple, elegant way to let Warriors get in quickly. There's no reason to change them.

And as far as gameplay videos go, we actually haven't seen too much of Warrior gameplay - the Inquisitor they've shown was mostly the Kossith Mage, and there were only short instances showing Iron Bull being controlled, always already up close to whoever he was fighting.
    They probably got rid of them because they came out of DA:2. Since this is supposed to be a combination of the previous DA games I assume they got rid of things from both, although this does seem like the wrong thing to get rid of.

I watched a demo with a dwarf warrior, and they didn't show it there. That seems like the best place to show off all the warrior goodies, and being able to close the mid-range gap is a pretty nice goody. It just seems to me like they got rid of it, which is a shame considering how neat it was.
    Show
    Play nice, boys.