New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default I Am The Lizard King, I Can Do Anything [PrC]

Serpent Priest

Serpent Priests are mystics who have attained a divine link with what they know as the Ouroboros, the collective unconscious of all serpents and their kin. Such a connection may come from reverence of serpentine gods or meditations on nature, but regardless of its source, the link is a connection to great power. Serpent Priests can channel serpentine power into their spells, draw on the shared racial memories of all snakes, and, eventually, become living avatars of the Ouroboros itself. No union unites the Serpent Priests, though many hold a high rank in the religious hierarchy of the Yuan-Ti.

d8 HD

Requirements
    To qualify to become a Serpent Priest, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
    Race: Must be a Yuan-Ti, a member of another Serpentkind race, or have the Snake Blood feat.
    Skills: Craft (Poisonmaking) 8 ranks, Knowledge (Religion or Nature) 8 ranks, Bluff 4 ranks
    Spells: Must be able to cast 3rd level divine spells.
    Special: Must have either the Serpent's Venom feat or have access to the Scalykind domain. Members of a Serpentkind race need not fulfill this requirement.

Class Skills
    The Serpent Priest's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Gift of Ouroborous|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |All Tongues Are Forked|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Serpent’s Kiss|

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Serpentine Mind|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Serpent’s Fang|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Cobra’s Blood|

7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Shed the Flesh’s Weakness|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

8th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Pythian Memories|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

9th|
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Serpent’s Coils|

10th|
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Aspect of the Serpent King|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class [/table]

Class Features
    All the following are class features of the Serpent Priest prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting
    Whenever you gain a new Serpent Priest, except at 3rd, 6th, and 9th levels, you gain new spells per day and spells known as if you had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class you belonged to before you added the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Gift of Ouroboros (Ex or Su)
    At 1st level, you draw mystic power from your connection to all serpentkind. You may choose one of the following abilities. Once you have chosen, you may not change your choice. You may choose to either add all spells from the Scalykind domain to your class spell list.

Alternatively, you may gain an animal companion, treating your effective druid level as being equal to your class level, though you may only gain a snake or otherwise ophidian companion with this ability. If you already have an animal companion, then choosing this ability lets you stack your class levels with any other companion-granting levels you have to determine your effective Druid level, but only if your animal companion is a snake.

Finally, you may gain the ability to wild shape, as a druid of your class level plus five, but only into the forms of snakes or other ophidian creatures. If you already have the wild shape ability, then choosing this ability lets you stack your class levels with your Druid levels to determine how many wild shape uses you gain per day. However, extra wild shape uses gained by having levels in this class can only be used to transform into snakes.

All Tongues Are Forked (Su)
    At 2nd level, you gain the ability to communicate with members of all Serpentkind races, regardless of language, as the tongues spell. In addition, you may communicate with snakes and other ophidian animals as the speak with animals spell. Finally, all snakes and other ophidian animals have a base attitude of Helpful towards you, and you gain a +10 racial bonus on all Handle Animal checks made to influence snakes.

Serpent’s Kiss (Su)
    At 3rd level, you learn to imbue your spells with the power of the serpent’s kiss. Such spells, in addition to their normal effect, penetrate deep into their target’s subconscious, and trigger ancient, primal fears of serpentkind. Only spells that target creatures may be imbued with the serpent’s kiss. A creature targeted by a spell imbued with the serpent’s kiss must make a Will save or be frightened for 1d6 rounds. If it fails the save by 5 or more, it is instead panicked. Creatures that are immune to mind-affecting or fear effects, or are members of a Serpentkind race, are immune to the effects of the serpent’s kiss, though the spell still affects them normally. You cannot imbue a spell whose level is higher than your class level. You may use this ability once per day. At 6th level, you can use it twice per day, and at 9th level, three times per day. You may only imbue a spell with one attribute of the serpent–kiss, fang, or coils–at a time.

Serpentine Mind (Ex)
    At 4th level, you unearth racial memories of the first primal serpents, transforming your mind into a thing as coiled and deceptive as a snake. You gain a racial bonus on Bluff checks equal to your class level. In addition whenver you fail a save against a spell of the divination or enchantment spell, you may make a reroll, at the same DC. You must abide by the results of the reroll.

Serpent’s Fang (Su)
    At 5th level, you learn to imbue your spells with the power of the serpent’s fang. Such spells, in addition to their normal effect, bear a potent mystical poison that wracks their foes’ bodies. Only spells that target creatures may be imbued with the serpent’s fang. A creature targeted by a spell imbued with the serpent’s fang must make a Fortitude save or take 1d6 Constitution damage. One minute later, it must make another save or take 1d6 Constitution damage. Creatures that are immune to poison, or are members of a Serpentkind race, are immune to the effects of the serpent’s fang, though the spell still affects them normally. You cannot imbue a spell whose level is higher than your class level. You may use this ability once per day. At 8th level, you can use it twice per day. You may only imbue a spell with one attribute of the serpent–kiss, fang, or coils–at a time.

Cobra’s Blood (Ex)
    At 6th level, you gain the ability to manipulate any poisons or acids within your body, to either neutralize or enhance them. You gain immunity to poisons of all kinds, and resistance to acid 10. In addition, if you have an extraordinary ability that uses poisons or acid, its DC increases by 2.

Shed the Flesh’s Weakness (Sp)
    At 7th level, you gain the ability to, like a serpent, shed your skin, and with it, your physical weakness. Once per day, as a full-round action, you may shed your skin. Doing so restores your physical health, as the heal spell, with caster level equal to your class level. Your shed skin remains in place for a round before it crumbles to dust, though it is impossible to mistake you with your shed husk except at very long distances. You can shed your skin even it clothed or armored–skin that cannot slough off completely simply peels off, turning to dust shortly after.

Pythian Memories (Sp)
    At 8th level, you may tap the collective memories of all serpentkind in order to find information any subject. This functions as the vision spell, with caster level equal to your class level, except that no caster level check is required. You must still pay the XP cost. You may use this ability once per day.

Serpent’s Coils (Su)
    At 9th level, you learn to imbue your spells with the power of the serpent’s coils. Such spells, in addition to their normal effect, bind their foes just as surely as a python’s coils do. Only spells that target creatures may be imbued with the serpent’s coils. A creature targeted by a spell imbued with the serpent’s coils must make a Will save or be paralyzed for 2d6 rounds. Each round, it may attempt another save to end the effect. Creatures that are immune to mind-affecting or compulsion effects, or are members of a Serpentkind race, are immune to the effects of the serpent’s coils, though the spell still affects them normally. You cannot imbue a spell whose level is higher than your class level. You may use this ability once per day. You may only imbue a spell with one attribute of the serpent–kiss, fang, or coils–at a time.

Aspect of the Serpent King (Su)
    A 10th level, you may become an avatar or the Ouroboros, becoming a living incarnation of serpentkind. Once per day, as a standard action, you may invoke the aspect of the serpent king. While the aspect is invoked, you appear as a horrible serpentine creature dredged from the subconscious of whoever views you.

Any creature within 60 ft. of you that witnesses you cast a spell or attack a creature must make a Will save, DC 20 + your Cha modifier, or be panicked for as long as it remains within 60 ft. of you and the aspect remains invoked. Serpentkind creatures and creatures immune to mind-affecting or fear effects are immune to this ability, but spells like true seeing confer no benefit–your appearance is not an illusion, but a primal image drawn from the viewer’s subconscious as a way of interpreting your status as avatar of the Ouroboros.

Any spell you cast while the aspect is invoked that targets creatures is treated as being imbued with the serpent’s fang ability. The DC of any spell you cast increases by two, and you gain a +4 bonus on caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance. You gain a +3 resistance bonus on all saves.

The aspect of the serpent king remains invoked for a number of rounds equal to three plus your Charisma modifier. Once you come out of the aspect, you are exhausted, and go into a period of hibernation. You fall into unconsciousness, and cannot be awoken for at least four hours. This hibernation does not count towards restful sleep for purposes of preparing spells, nor do you dream during it.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-07-26 at 10:15 PM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I Am The Lizard King, I Can Do Anything [PrC]

Why am I reminded of the Followers of Set?

Anyway, good to see you round these parts again.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Interesting... I like it.

This somehow reminds me of Raymond E. Feist's books.

Nice capstone, saves look OK, and some nice spontaneous metamagic.

I have this feeling this may be used for 1 level dips to wildshape...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Why am I reminded of the Followers of Set?
    I haven't touched anything White Wolf with a ten foot pole (except for Ravenloft, now that they've got it), so any similarities are purely coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Anyway, good to see you round these parts again.
    Yep, finally pulled myself away from Unknown Armies and girlfriend for long enough to get back to D&D.

I have this feeling this may be used for 1 level dips to wildshape...
    But they'd only be able to wild shape twice a day, and only into medium constrictors or small to medium vipers. I'd say there's nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2007-02-15 at 09:13 PM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like the flavor of this... it's neat and just overall interesting

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    I haven't touched anything White Wolf with a ten foot pole (except for Ravenloft, now that they've got it), so any similarities are purely coincidental.

Yep, finally pulled myself away from Unknown Armies and girlfriend for long enough to get back to D&D.
    White Wolf has Ravenloft now?! ZOMGTWTFLJDQ.

As for the girlfriend, that's no excuse. I have a wife, and I manage.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Personally, Unknown Armies was the bigger factor their. Homebrewing stuff for it ate up so much more creativity than D&D does.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Heh. Yeah, I know the feeling. You should see my V:tM Homebrew Stockpile.