Display: Mental, Visual
    Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: One humanoid
    Duration: Concentration + 1 round
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Power Resistance: Yes
    Power Points: 7

You may attempt to tap into any creature's brain and stimulate their pleasure center. They are in the throes of absolute bliss for the duration of this power, gaining a +2 morale bonus to all attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. However, they must succeed on a Will save each round or be completely overwhelmed by these rapturous feelings. On a failed save the target becomes Dazed. Every round the DC to keep from being Dazed increases by 1.

While in this state the being is immune to fear, pain, demoralizing effects such as Crushing Despair and morale penalties, and acts as if Charmed by anyone he encounters.

At the end of this power the target loses all morale bonuses granted by this power and takes a -4 penalty to all attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks for an hour. Heart's Ease and similiar spells and effects negate this.

Augment: You can augment this power in one or any of the following ways.

1. For every 2 power points spent the morale bonus increases by 1.

2. For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power can affect an additional target.

3. If you spend 2 additional power points, this power can also affect an animal, fey, giant, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid.

4. If you spend 4 additional power points, this power can also affect an aberration, dragon, elemental, or outsider in addition to the creature types mentioned above.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-02-15 at 12:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Power] Oooh, aaah....

Well I'm sure it's hugely popular at parties and elsewhere outside of combat. Shall we give it 'earning money' rules like Perform and Profession checks, or would that be too depraved?

In combat, it kind of goes both ways. Hang on... Will save negates the daze effect, but what about the benefits? Can you make separate saves? If so, the Saving Throw line should be something like 'Will negates (harmless) and Will negates'.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Well I'm sure it's hugely popular at parties and elsewhere outside of combat. Shall we give it 'earning money' rules like Perform and Profession checks, or would that be too depraved?
    I'm sure you could find someone willing to pay for its affects, sure

In combat, it kind of goes both ways.
    Aye, its a bit of an odd duck, but I could even imagine it being manifested on folks to help them out instead of trying to Daze them. However, offensively, what you should do is manifest it and then immediately stop concentrating next round. Boom, instant -4 penalties without a save for an hour.

Hang on... Will save negates the daze effect, but what about the benefits? Can you make separate saves? If so, the Saving Throw line should be something like 'Will negates (harmless) and Will negates'.
    Naw, one will save in the beginning to fight off the ability period. Then you have to make additional ones as you become addicted.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Aye, its a bit of an odd duck, but I could even imagine it being manifested on folks to help them out instead of trying to Daze them.
    I was thinking that, but-- hang on, let me continue this thought in reply to your bit about the saves.
    However, offensively, what you should do is manifest it and then immediately stop concentrating next round. Boom, instant -4 penalties without a save for an hour.
    Nasty.
    Naw, one will save in the beginning to fight off the ability period. Then you have to make additional ones as you become addicted.
    Hmm, okay. But that suggests that to get the benefits, you have to fail your save in the first round, leaving you dazed; then in subsequent rounds, make your save, keeping the benefits but fighting off dazedness. Is that right?

By the way. Animals? Sick. Aberrations? Ewww.

Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

5. - Top - End - #5

Dude. It's the anti-barbarian.
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Hmm, okay. But that suggests that to get the benefits, you have to fail your save in the first round, leaving you dazed; then in subsequent rounds, make your save, keeping the benefits but fighting off dazedness. Is that right?
    Basically, yup.

By the way. Animals? Sick. Aberrations? Ewww.
    Huh? You're not doing hank panky with the things. You are tapping into certain parts of their brain and making them feel overwhelming joy in the broad, general sense. In mindflayers for example they'd probably just have the sensation of gulping down the best brain ever.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Huh? You're not doing hank panky with the things. You are tapping into certain parts of their brain and making them feel overwhelming joy in the broad, general sense. In mindflayers for example they'd probably just have the sensation of gulping down the best brain ever.
    Yes, but there is still something creepy about tapping into an aberration's pleasure centres and making it feel good. (And the way it's described in the first post, I wouldn't read it as 'joy in the broad, general sense'.)

Rogue: Help! The gibbering mouther's got me!
    Psion: Hang on, I'll distract it...
    Rogue: *gets free and runs* Phew! Thanks a lot... what did you do to it, anyway? It just started sort of trembling and making squelchy--
    Psion: I don't want to talk about it.
    Fighter: Ack! Rust monster!
    Psion: *shudder*

Even if you envision manifesting euphoria on an animal as being just like scratching its tummy, doing the same to an aberration is still kinda weird.

Anyway, this may just be me. As usual, a very cool idea with intriguing complexities.

Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Get your mind outta the gutter... or give those with Vow of Chastity immunity to this power.

I'd say that this is a very interesting power. However, a -4 penalty for an HOUR? Why? BoED have TONS of elationlike supernatural effects, and none of them have any kind of drawback when it ends. Also, would you be able to Distill joy from someone under the effects of this power? What would other Elation spells and powers do? Negate the penalty, negate AND give the full bonus, or just give a bonus to offset the penalty? In addition, I'd suggest making the sadness curable by Hearts Ease.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

*just slowly backs away from Peregrin*

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    I'd say that this is a very interesting power. However, a -4 penalty for an HOUR? Why? BoED have TONS of elationlike supernatural effects, and none of them have any kind of drawback when it ends.
    Well, for one those are 'holy powers'. They wouldn't let you feel the letdown at the end. This however is directly targetting a being's portion of the brain. I'd think there would be a bit of a depressive period afterward to come back down out of the clouds. Then again, I don't even drink coffee so dunno what its like to be off of a high.

Also, would you be able to Distill joy from someone under the effects of this power?
    Err, well... yeah, I guess it'd count.

What would other Elation spells and powers do? Negate the penalty, negate AND give the full bonus, or just give a bonus to offset the penalty?
    I'd say they would do exactly what they say. If they give a +4 and he's already a -4 then it'd just offset it.

In addition,I'd suggest making the sadness curable by Hearts Ease.
    Good suggestions, will adjust.

10. - Top - End - #10

The way that you've been describing this, it seems almost as much psychometabolism as telepathy. Is it physical stimulation (stimulating dopamine production, for example), or just transmitting "joy"?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Heh, someone on Wizards just had a creepy idea. Lower it to 3rd level and sell Psionic Tattoos of Euphoria.

I'd already thought this power might be too high-leveled. Any thoughts on its level?

The way that you've been describing this, it seems almost as much psychometabolism as telepathy. Is it physical stimulation (stimulating dopamine production, for example), or just transmitting "joy"?
    Well, I'm thinking you are using telepathy to stimulate the brain. Basically in scientifical terms you are applying electrical current to that certain bit. Didn't really think that was all that psychometabolic, using psionic energy instead of electricity. Also didn't want you to have to touch the being.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-02-15 at 12:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... it is powerful for a level 5 power, considering the no-save penalties once the effects are in place. But at the same time, it is a twinedged sword. I'd say that it is about right. Perhaps dropping the backlash to -2 (I've never experienced a down after a high, but then again, my highs haven't been caused by chemical or electrical stimuli). But I don't think it is neccessary.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

If you wanted to make it 3rd level, I'd make the morale bonus a +1 to start with and decrease the penalties to -2.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Hmm... it is powerful for a level 5 power, considering the no-save penalties once the effects are in place. But at the same time, it is a twinedged sword. I'd say that it is about right. Perhaps dropping the backlash to -2 (I've never experienced a down after a high, but then again, my highs haven't been caused by chemical or electrical stimuli). But I don't think it is neccessary.
    Imagine you won the lottery, then discovered you'd lost your lottery ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

That's not enough of a downer to put even a -1 penalty on anything.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Y'know, though I try to be as realistic as possible with my creations, each time I come up with something new the catgirl population is decimated

Basically I was thinking this as alike to 'The Wire' concept which I've read in a number of book. Basically those that become addicted to stimulation of certain parts of the brain. Without fail most are portrayed as having a horrible letdown after its use, even the first time.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

You know, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it would summon something shiny. But this is very... interesting.
    MMORPGs come and go but D&D is forever.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

how about if you make the appropriate Knowledge check, the target has a bonus to beat the will save. example, making a Knowledge (history) towards a dragon who has lost their mate, then manifesting this power will give the dragon fond memories of their long lost mate. (I think that dragons, like swans, mate for life and will rarely find another mate if the previous one dies)

this gives me an idea for a silly message board game. with your permission, may I use this as a SMBG?
    Quote Originally Posted by knightsaline View Post
    Living Vengeful Gaze of God/Contingent True Resurrection: Kills you, kills itself, True rezzes itself, kills again, kills itself again, true rezzes itself again..........
    "On the other hand, maybe all of this could have been prevented if you had just managed to get laid once in a while. You can't tell me you would have been as tightly wound if you had been getting treasure type O once in a while"

Roxas avatar made by Adghar. The keyblades are Diamond dust and One Winged Angel

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Somehow, I don't think that "Ooh, aaah" is the right sound-effect for this power. For a lot of people, it would more along the lines of, "Duuuuuuuude. The colors. They're like, daaaaaancing. Far out, man." And then, once the spell-power fades, they're going to sound more like, "Life is pain."

By the way, are augmentations 3 and 4 cumulative?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Err, not quite sure what you are getting at Knight, but feel free to game away

By the way, are augmentations 3 and 4 cumulative?
    Pretty much.

"3. If you spend 2 additional power points, this power can also affect an animal, fey, giant, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid.

4. If you spend 4 additional power points, this power can also affect an aberration, dragon, elemental, or outsider in addition to the creature types mentioned above."

So basically you spend 4 extra points, you get to affect any of those listed in 3 or 4, or both at the same time.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by knightsaline View Post
    how about if you make the appropriate Knowledge check, the target has a bonus to beat the will save. example, making a Knowledge (history) towards a dragon who has lost their mate, then manifesting this power will give the dragon fond memories of their long lost mate. (I think that dragons, like swans, mate for life and will rarely find another mate if the previous one dies)

this gives me an idea for a silly message board game. with your permission, may I use this as a SMBG?
    No, the power just makes the victim arbitrarily euphoric for no particular reason. Less "Ah, I finally realize true happiness!" and more "I love you guys! The birds! The flowers! The dragons! I love everything! Yay!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

You could always make Lesser Euphoria and Greater Euphoria—maybe even give them separate names entirely. Cheer and Bliss, for two awful examples. I don't think you can justify dropping it, as is, to 3rd level. Do as was suggested, making the bonuses +1 and the penalties -2, and make it the lesser version, at probably 3rd level (kinda like a combination of Aid and Bane... with Daze thrown in as well as some... mind-affecting stuff? Bad simile. Anyway.), and quite possibly bump the current version up to 5th level.
    Good grammar is hot.