New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Inside 58

1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 58

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    Somewhere

"So, where were we going again?" Shrike asks after stabbing her player for forgetting.
    Sophia shrugs.
    Um, so, what sort of stuff do you do?
    She inquires
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Contractor
    [Arkham Street]
    The creature continued its path, seemingly unaware, or uncaring, that he was being trailed. It made a few turns a certain intersections until it stop to face the District Attorney building. The odd creature began climbing up the steps towards the main door of the building. A few security officers stepped carefully towards the eldritch being. The security officers began asking him a few simple questions, which the odd thing replied by extending his hand, palm to turned face up and a parchment paper materialized itself, accompanied with the seal of various high functionaries of various levels, the scriptures used being an arcane magic that would translate its content to the reader's native language in the most approximate legal format of the language. After a minute of inspection, the officers let him through and gave him the good day. The thing continued its way inside the building. Everything was fine.
    Avatar by Ceika, she's awesome, she deserves your cookies.
    old avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

[Delmah Phor - Market Street]

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    As usual, the market was bustling with both drow and foreigners hawking their wares. Carts trundled past, going out into the city or heading towards the Underside Gate. The scent of exotic spices and perfumes wafted through the air from the open doors of shops. On one corner, a half-drow woman danced for a crowd while her companion played strangely haunting music from a many-stringed instrument. A gruff looking Druegar stood guard outside of a jewelry shop, its windows full of delicately crafted pieces. In the distance, a rythmic, metallic pounding came from the blacksmith at the end of the street.

There was much to see and do on the market street this day.
    Her silken robe wrapped around her comfortable figure, Beldra watched the half-drow for a moment before, with a smile, turning away and stepping towards one of the spice shops, tossing her long, lush white hair as, with a sigh, the priestess of Shar crossed the threshold.

Even when one had a servant to do one's cooking, making sure you got the right ingredients...well, if you wanted something done right, you had to do it yourself.

===

[Elsewhere]

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Sophia shrugs.
    Um, so, what sort of stuff do you do?
    She inquires
    "Usually? Naughty stuff that could get me in trouble if I got caught."
    Shrike smirked, winking at Sophia.
    "...only been caught once."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    [Delmah Phor - Market Street]

Her silken robe wrapped around her comfortable figure, Beldra watched the half-drow for a moment before, with a smile, turning away and stepping towards one of the spice shops, tossing her long, lush white hair as, with a sigh, the priestess of Shar crossed the threshold.

Even when one had a servant to do one's cooking, making sure you got the right ingredients...well, if you wanted something done right, you had to do it yourself.

===

[Elsewhere]

"Usually? Naughty stuff that could get me in trouble if I got caught."
    Shrike smirked, winking at Sophia.
    "...only been caught once."
    Sophia nodded.
    Well, currently, haven't had any time for that sort of thing, sadly. According to the wonders of the Nexus's shaky timeline, I apparently am a lot more busy than I thought. Though... I do have free time right now...
    Sophia muses
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

[Elsewhere]

"Oh? Maybe you might wanna visit a bar," Shrike suggests, smirking.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    Obviously teleporting into the library proper won't fly.

People have tried it before, teleporting in without a library card.

Abrajin responded by moving the library and leaving the trespasser behind.

But teleporting to the quaint little front in the Nexus is certainly easy enough! Just as easy as walking inside.

Getting a book though?

Actually getting a book from the library is pretty easy, too. Provided you don't mind what the book is about. Getting a specific book from the library is something of an epic quest all on its own.
    Well, then. Why are all these tomes stuck in weird places, anyways?

Certain enters the library, and looks around the entrance to see if there are any immediate clues to how this library works.

7. - Top - End - #157

The Contractor
    [District Attorney Hall]
    The man-shaped thing continued to walk inside the hall, making a beeline towards the front desk of the receptionist. Its movements were square and calculated, not a movement out of line. It arrrived at the desk, gently tapping the desk bell for a receptionist to come to it.

old avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158

[Abrajin's Library]

Why?

Well, that's easy enough to answer.

Because just logging onto the Internet and downloading an Ebook isn't nearly as interesting of a story as plumbing the depths of madness of some crazy pandimensional library.

Anywho!

A small desk is straight ahead, with a suit of armor behind it. There are also no less than ten crystal balls that are seemingly fused to the desk, which is similarly fused to the floor. To the right there are a ton of tables and very cushiony seats of assorted variety. To the left, there is what appears to be a long conveyor belt with a protective rim around it, and a slot to put books in. It is, of course, run by magic.
    There is a very, very large doorway that leads to the main library. It has a list of rules on it, which currently read as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by The Rules
    -Only those with certified Library Cards may enter.
    -Be quiet within the library, monsters may be sleeping.
    -We are not liable for any injuries that may result from your presence in the library.
    -We are not liable for any injuries resulting from the existence of the library.
    -The use of divination spells in the library is discouraged due to the fact that they may drive the user insane.
    -Fire magic and lightning magics are prohibited.
    -Respect the other users of the library unless they try to injure you.
    -Please report the existence of fire, black holes, temporal and planar vortexes, and another generally book damaging occurrence to the librarian or guard.
    -Put any books taken from the shelves into the re-shelving system.
    -Do as the guard or librarian says, or you will be smote.
    -Have a nice day.
    There's a nice fireplace to one side of the room and seated in a comfy arm-chair behind it is a very old man reading a book on advanced quantum-theumatics.

[District Attorney's]

The receptionist in this particular case is a dwarf in a smart business suit. They might be female, but it's hard to tell what with the beard and all. Said dwarf gives the man-shaped-thing in a suit an appraising glance before asking in a rather droll tone, "Can I help you?"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

[Abrajin's Library]

Just idle speculation, but I wonder how much it would take to drive Certain insane. Probably quite a bit, all things considered.

Anyways, Certain reads the rules carefully, and then, after briefly considering her options, asks the man, "Good day. Do you know where I could get a library card?"

10. - Top - End - #160

[Abrajin's Library]

"Yes," grunts the old man, his eyes failing to leave the pages of his book.

He provides no further clarification.

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    SHEOL, Inc- Calenders

A drider arrives outside, with a red, chitinous spider body below the dark red, almost black, skin of her drow torso. Her hair is pale blonde, and her eyes are black with no visible iris or sclera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    The vixen grins broadly and takes the offered hand before shaking it warmly

My name is Katrina: and of course! I wouldn't expect anything less.
    SHEOL, Inc- Calenders

As the drider enters the office the imp looks up from his book. "You're here for the calendar?"

[Communication Office]

"Great, so let's start right away. What do you perceive yourself as? Just a standard question as we don't like making any assumptions on gender, species or race." Yet she totally used the word Miss when she greeted Katrina.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2014-06-09 at 02:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

[Abrajin's Library]

"Yes," grunts the old man, his eyes failing to leave the pages of his book.

He provides no further clarification.
    Certain sighs and says, "How can I get one, then?"

13. - Top - End - #163

[Abrajin's Library]

[District Attorney's]

The receptionist in this particular case is a dwarf in a smart business suit. They might be female, but it's hard to tell what with the beard and all. Said dwarf gives the man-shaped-thing in a suit an appraising glance before asking in a rather droll tone, "Can I help you?"
    The eldritch humanoid set his sightless face towards the Dwarven secretary, a voice echoing from the creature at first in an incomprehensible language. One of the eldritch runes upon the tie of the thing turned bright, sending a translation of the words spoken by the creature into the native language of those close enough to hear him.

The creature said: "Why yes, you may help me. I have in my possession a legal document, notarized by the administration of the Daemonic, Divine and Eldritch planes as well as the High Magus of the Arcana plane to serve as the appointed representative of the four great powers in the area of the multi-planar anomaly known as "The Nexus". I wish to speak to the being in charge of this establishment so I may proceed to begin my work"

As the creature mentioned the document, it appeared, floating in front of him, the same document that he had shown to the security officers.
    old avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164

[Abrajin's Library]

The old wizard makes a snorting noise and briefly peers at person pestering him with watery, foggy eyes. He mutters something under his breath that sounds rather like 'Abrajin's Paperwork Summoning VI' shortly before a rather daunting stack of forms appears in front of the library-card seeker.

"Fill those out," Abrajin grunts.

Should the pile be inspected she'll find that the questions start off pretty reasonable, but they grow increasingly elaborate and absurd with each passing page. Why would anyone need to know their weigh in shekels on the planet Jupiter?

[District Attorney's Office]

The secretary looks over the document for a few moments before giving a long-suffering sigh and replying, "The Phoenix Act of 2007 requires that all multi-planar representatives file a WWTW form with the Office of Metaphysical Relations to avoid unnecessary overlap and/or conflict of interest with beings/forces/embodiments/platonic ideals/flavors of sapient color of similar ontological inclination."

The dwarf reaches into the desk and withdraws a map and a pen. A location is circled and the map is offered to the Contractor. "The main OMR building is up in the Skyway in the business sector. They have a big sign, can't miss it."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

[Abrajin's Library]

The old wizard makes a snorting noise and briefly peers at person pestering him with watery, foggy eyes. He mutters something under his breath that sounds rather like 'Abrajin's Paperwork Summoning VI' shortly before a rather daunting stack of forms appears in front of the library-card seeker.

"Fill those out," Abrajin grunts.

Should the pile be inspected she'll find that the questions start off pretty reasonable, but they grow increasingly elaborate and absurd with each passing page. Why would anyone need to know their weigh in shekels on the planet Jupiter?
    Certain looks over the pages, frowns, and says, "Give me a moment." With that, she snaps her fingers and disappears, only to reappear a few seconds later, looking quite bedraggled, but says, "Here..." The forms are filled out very accurately, if Abrajin bothers to check.

16. - Top - End - #166

[Abrajin's Library]

[District Attorney's Office]

The secretary looks over the document for a few moments before giving a long-suffering sigh and replying, "The Phoenix Act of 2007 requires that all multi-planar representatives file a WWTW form with the Office of Metaphysical Relations to avoid unnecessary overlap and/or conflict of interest with beings/forces/embodiments/platonic ideals/flavors of sapient color of similar ontological inclination."

The dwarf reaches into the desk and withdraws a map and a pen. A location is circled and the map is offered to the Contractor. "The main OMR building is up in the Skyway in the business sector. They have a big sign, can't miss it."
    The Contractor picks the map. It nods at the woman, turns around and commences to walk away, the folds of reality opening themselves neatly in the shape of a diamond. The Contractor walks into the empyrean rift, it closing as it steps into it, sealing itself as neatly as it had opened itself

[The Skyway: business sector]
    The folds of reality opens themselves in the middle of the street, The Contractor calmly walking out of the rift, closing itself as it stepped out of it. The Contractor sized up the map and called forth his arcane compass, displaying a show of light, runes and colors, displaying information only arcane adepts could understand, its was a very simple spell that basically acted as a GPS and Street Pilot. The eldritch creature compared the map and the informattion ffrom his spell. after a moment, It turned around and began walking towards the direction his spell indicated it.
    old avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167

[Abrajin's Library]

The old man doesn't look at the forms.

Not even a glance.

Nope, he instead casts a simple levitation spell and tosses the whole stack into the fire place.

Certain's hard work begins burning.

Abrajin scoots his chair a little closer to the fire and wiggles his toes. The warmth feels nice on his old bones.

[The Skyway]

Where Arkham Street was an anachronism of the 1920s the Skyway is The Future! gossed up in chrome, glass, carbon-composite, and holographic displays. Jetsons-style mobile foot paths abound whilst all fashion of flying cars zoom about above and below. Humans, aliens, and totally-just-humans-with-chin-putty bustle to and fro in a myriad of rather space-y looking outfits. More than a few have those funny shoulder things.

Clearly this is the future.

Finding the Office of Metaphysical Relations shouldn't be particularly difficult. Like the receptionist said, it has a big sign. Around the base of the towering sky scraper is a rather nice little landscaped area with potted plants, tables, and benches. Around one of the tables in question three beings that represent fire in various capacities are having a rather lively debate.

Best give them plenty of room, though. The argument is getting pretty hot.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

[Abrajin's Library]

The old man doesn't look at the forms.

Not even a glance.

Nope, he instead casts a simple levitation spell and tosses the whole stack into the fire place.

Certain's hard work begins burning.

Abrajin scoots his chair a little closer to the fire and wiggles his toes. The warmth feels nice on his old bones.
    Certain head begins to shake as she builds up a head of steam. Her fist and staff begin to glow blue, but she takes a deep breath and says, "Are you going to give me a card or not, Abrajin?"

19. - Top - End - #169

[Abrajin's Library]

It's an understandable reaction.

Abrajin is pretty insufferable.

"No," the old man grunts. "I don't give out library cards. The Warden does."

He makes a vague gesture at the inanimate looking suit of armor behind the counter.

So...

Why didn't he just say that to begin with?

Oh, right.

Because Abrajin is a terrible person.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2014-06-09 at 05:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

[Abrajin's Library]

Certain grumbles and mutters something under her breath as she walks over to the Warden, and Abrajin might find that the fire has stopped being warm and is, in fact, now a source of coldness.

Meanwhile, Certain says to the suit of armor calmly, "Hello? Can you hear me? Abrajin said you give out Library Cards?"

21. - Top - End - #171

[Abrajin's Library]

The old man glowers at the fire for a few moments before muttering, "Abrajin's thermodynamic inversion."

Yay for counter-spelling?

Anywho!

The suit of armor slides a card over to Certain. One side of the card has her name on it. The other side has the library rules. The other side has her book limit, which happens to be the number of books she can carry before her spine breaks.

The card appears to be nothing more than a normal card, so how the thing could possibly have three sides isn't readily apparent.

Well!

Now she has a card!

Yay?

22. - Top - End - #172

[Abrajin's Library]

[The Skyway]

Where Arkham Street was an anachronism of the 1920s the Skyway is The Future! gossed up in chrome, glass, carbon-composite, and holographic displays. Jetsons-style mobile foot paths abound whilst all fashion of flying cars zoom about above and below. Humans, aliens, and totally-just-humans-with-chin-putty bustle to and fro in a myriad of rather space-y looking outfits. More than a few have those funny shoulder things.

Clearly this is the future.

Finding the Office of Metaphysical Relations shouldn't be particularly difficult. Like the receptionist said, it has a big sign. Around the base of the towering sky scraper is a rather nice little landscaped area with potted plants, tables, and benches. Around one of the tables in question three beings that represent fire in various capacities are having a rather lively debate.

Best give them plenty of room, though. The argument is getting pretty hot.
    [The Skyway; OMR building: Main Hall]
    The Contractor continued on its way towards the building's main entrance. It took note of the detailed exterior gardens and the oddly cleaner oxygen, despite being in a more technologically advanced portion of Inside. To him, it didn't matter if the place was a desolate or kept in pristine conditions, as long as there was work to do, it was all that mattered to it, and there is always more work to be done.

It entered the building, spotting the reception desk on his right and walked its way towards it.
    Last edited by Cosmic Traveler; 2014-06-09 at 05:53 PM.
    old avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

[Abrajin's Library]

Certain smiles as she takes the card, says, "Thank you," to the Warden, and delves deep in to the depths of the library.

24. - Top - End - #174

[Abrajin's Library]

Oh goody!

Library time!

Certain steps into the library proper and finds herself in quite an interesting chamber. The room itself is shaped like a massive icosahedron with innumerable cube-shaped shelves scattered about. Shelves filled to the overflowing with all manner of books on role-playing games.

The floor seems to be divided up into regular hexagons and, strangely enough, Certain is only able to move through six of the five-foot wide patches and given six seconds. That's regardless of how fast she might run.

Weird.

Other doors lead out of the room to a myriad of rooms on related topic (topics that are links in the above Wiki article, basically).

[The Skyway]

This time around the receptionist is rather strange.

It looks like someone stacked three brittle stars on top of each other, with the middle one off-set a bit so the arms protrude between the arms of the other two. It's about as tall as a human and doesn't appear to have any obvious sensory organs. It does, however, seem to be able to change color! When the being approaches a complex patter of colors flashes across the surface of the alien. A nearby computer translates for it.

"Welcome to the Clark Building. How may I help you?"

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

[Abrajin's Library]

Certain looks dubiously about the room, before shaking her head, muttering, "Hrm...Not what I'm looking for. Now then..." She thinks for a moment, before heading into the door listed 'List of RPGs by Name'.

26. - Top - End - #176

[The Skyway]

This time around the receptionist is rather strange.

It looks like someone stacked three brittle stars on top of each other, with the middle one off-set a bit so the arms protrude between the arms of the other two. It's about as tall as a human and doesn't appear to have any obvious sensory organs. It does, however, seem to be able to change color! When the being approaches a complex patter of colors flashes across the surface of the alien. A nearby computer translates for it.

"Welcome to the Clark Building. How may I help you?"
    [The skyway; OMR building: Main Hall]
    The Contractor began to speak in its eldritch language, the rune triggering a different effect, having identified a non-verbal dialect, immediately translated the speech onto an arcane screen, displaying color patterns according to the creature's native language

The Contractor says: "Yes, you may help me. I am looking to fill a WWTW form in accord to the Phoenix Act of 2007 in order to abide by this legal document i am hereby showing you"
    As it mentioned the legal document in question, the parchment reappeared, still exactly the same way it was before, the arcane scriptures now displaying color and light patterns to the creature, the notary seals and signatures clearly visible
    Last edited by Cosmic Traveler; 2014-06-09 at 06:50 PM.
    old avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [SHEOL Inc. - With Darrian]

"Okay, that's great, thank you. We just use this information to figure out the set for the shot and to get a sense of your character." Darrian writes that all down. "Now I don't suppose you'd happen to have any shots of previous modelling? Preferably fitting our swimsuit theme."
    Skye shakes her head. "Is not my usual line of work, I'm afraid. I was never any good at swimming." Which is almost a reason not to have a swimsuit. "Will not be too much of a problem, I trust?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #178

[Abrajin's Library]

As Certain hunts for the proper exit she'll find a barrier in her path!

Or more specifically, a table surrounded by nerds.

"Galstaf, you enter the dungeon from the north. The pungent scent of mildew assails you from the dungeon walls," one of the nerds says, huddled behind a cardboard screen, his voice halting and nasally.

"Hey guys, is there any mountain dew?"

"Yes!"

"In the fridge, duh!"

"Can I have a mountain dew?"

[The Skyway]

The starfish thing (probably?) peers at the document for a few moments before pressing several keys on its computer. Nearby several forms are printed out and collected for the entity.

"Here you are, sir. One WWTW form. Please fill it out and return it to our offices," the creature flashes back. Or just fill it out and hand it back. Whatever works. The form asks for information about the planes of origin, their general spheres of influence, their ontological nature, standard stuff.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

[Abrajin's Library]

Certain looks at the nerds and rolls her eyes as she slowly lifts off the floor and tries to float over the table, dedicated to ignoring the nerds.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Skye shakes her head. "Is not my usual line of work, I'm afraid. I was never any good at swimming." Which is almost a reason not to have a swimsuit. "Will not be too much of a problem, I trust?"
    [SHEOL Inc. - With Darrian]

"No, no, not at all. We have a high standard of quality, but we're not going to turn away everyone but professional models." Darrian assures her. "But with that in mind, we like to have an impression of our candidates. Would you mind if we moved to our studio and perhaps you could demonstrate for us?"