New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive II - I stand by my ridiculous comic

Or gave it to someone else (Sam) and the spell can be targeted.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

She gave the mark to Tedd.

Feel free to quote this if it turns out she didn't. But she did.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    Pandora probably didn't directly turn Tedd into a girl, since that would be against the non-interference rules of being an immortal.

Tedd probably doesn't have the male/female mark, because he has zero magical potential, so he probably didn't change his own gender.

I think the most likely option is that someone else in the comic book store has the male/female magic mark, and they accidentally transformed Tedd. But who? Richard? Larry? Sam? Grace? Sarah? George? Probably not George.
    You still believe the whole zero magic potential thing? Tedd is something different and while he was scanned as having no magic as a baby I honestly and highly doubt it is as simple as whether or not he has magic potential. In fact his magic potential being all but impossible to measure could be a side effect of whatever Tedd's actual condition is.

Even if Tedd did actually have zero magic potential for all we know the marks could be like wands or the watches, and Tedd can use those just fine. Besides, Pandora's monologue highly suggests that she did indeed give Tedd a mark. Ask yourself why would Pandora do something nice for anyone in the comic shop other than Tedd?
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2014-07-22 at 01:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    You still believe the whole zero magic potential thing? Tedd is something different and while he was scanned as having no magic as a baby I honestly and highly doubt it is as simple as whether or not he has magic potential. In fact his magic potential being all but impossible to measure could be a side effect of whatever Tedd's actual condition is.

Even if Tedd did actually have zero magic potential for all we know the marks could be like wands or the watches, and Tedd can use those just fine. Besides, Pandora's monologue highly suggests that she did indeed give Tedd a mark. Ask yourself why would Pandora do something nice for anyone in the comic shop other than Tedd?
    Because her middle name is 'Chaos'?
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    Because her middle name is 'Chaos'?
    But she wouldn't be doing it to be nice then. She specifically said she was being nice and only just now made the realization that being nice causes her to not think about what would happen afterwards.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Ask yourself why would Pandora do something nice for anyone in the comic shop other than Tedd?
    Except giving Tedd a mark isn't really a nice thing to do. Tedd already has the capability of changing gender on a whim using one of the enchanted watches, so a magic mark that lets him change gender wouldn't really offer an advantage.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Except giving Tedd a mark isn't really a nice thing to do. Tedd already has the capability of changing gender on a whim using one of the enchanted watches, so a magic mark that lets him change gender wouldn't really offer an advantage.
    Well, Tedd seems to have some self-esteem issues due to not having magic ability aside from technological ones. It might make him feel more worthy to have some sort of magical ability he can use on his own.

EDIT: or I guess, on her own, now.
    Last edited by Lissou; 2014-07-22 at 09:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Tell it like it is, Sandra.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: El Goonish Shive II - I stand by my ridiculous comic

I presume it was in reference to Tedd's thoughts in this comic's last panel. Remember, this is Chaos, so giving Tedd the power to do that whenever Tedd wanted, regardless of whether watches are present, might seem perfectly appropriate to our resident unpredictable Immortal. Frankly, that Tedd is not suddenly dressed completely differently (and potentially in a mind-twistingly impossible outfit, depending on Pandora's understanding of 'cute') is what surprises me. ^_^'
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Tell it like it is, Sandra.
    Wrong comic , Thats Sarah
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The question isn't "Did you notice what's different about Grace in the last panel?" It's "Will Grace notice what's different about her boyfriend?"

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    The question isn't "Did you notice what's different about Grace in the last panel?" It's "Will Grace notice what's different about her boyfriend?"
    I think that will be friday's strip

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And given her reaction to Justin's and Rhoda's magic marks, the answer is "yes."
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    And given her reaction to Justin's and Rhoda's magic marks, the answer is "yes."
    She might not get Deja Vu vision from Tedd's back actually. Since his back was only recently marked she might not of seen it in her dream vision thing. Hard to tell though.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, we got Word of Dan for Tedd's preferred pronouns. For those that don't read Dan's tumblr, it's pronouns match physical form.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

No, and then Grace will kiss her in front of everyone and there will be a whole bunch of misunderstanding about them being lesbians all the time, when technically Grace and Tedd would only be lesbians half the time or however long Tedd remains female. but thats just me guessing.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    She might not get Deja Vu vision from Tedd's back actually. Since his back was only recently marked she might not of seen it in her dream vision thing. Hard to tell though.
    The relevant page is here. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be part of Grace's dream, but that falls firmly under ye old Unspoken Plan Guarantee, and I have no idea how far the Gandalf guy got before she woke up. Regardless, a mark which coincides extremely well with Tedd's new spell is there, and I'd be willing to bet that those are the marks that Chaos is in the process of bestowing as Phase One of plan: blow the masquerade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    The relevant page is here. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be part of Grace's dream, but that falls firmly under ye old Unspoken Plan Guarantee, and I have no idea how far the Gandalf guy got before she woke up. Regardless, a mark which coincides extremely well with Tedd's new spell is there, and I'd be willing to bet that those are the marks that Chaos is in the process of bestowing as Phase One of plan: blow the masquerade.
    Wait was that comic actually relevant? I figured it was just a kinda fourth wall breaking "Here are the marks that are important" kind of thing.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Wait was that comic actually relevant? I figured it was just a kinda fourth wall breaking "Here are the marks that are important" kind of thing.
    As I understand it, those are the marks Grace has focused on in her dreams.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    As I understand it, those are the marks Grace has focused on in her dreams.
    I doubt it. I mean, Tedd hadn't even been marked yet. I see this page more as a title screen of some sort. This being said, not ruling out that you may be right, but I don't believe that's the case. Luke has been in the shop for a while, he's most likely the spyglass mark, and Grace hasn't been staring at him at all. Probably because she had never met him before and so he couldn't have appeared in her dream.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    I doubt it. I mean, Tedd hadn't even been marked yet. I see this page more as a title screen of some sort. This being said, not ruling out that you may be right, but I don't believe that's the case. Luke has been in the shop for a while, he's most likely the spyglass mark, and Grace hasn't been staring at him at all. Probably because she had never met him before and so he couldn't have appeared in her dream.
    Ya similar to this page, http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=909

Also the new chapter . Justin really doesn't have the best idea of who is attracted to him does he First George (Probably) and now Luke
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2014-07-25 at 12:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Hey, too be fair, Grace is just picking up on the chemistry between the two of them; Justin and Luke haven't actually been flirting, and he has been awkward around the subject of Grace, so I don't think if I were in Justin's shoes, "Luke is attracted to me," is the first thing that would come to my mind*.

*Granted, my social awareness is not exactly great, but you get what I mean.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

in my honest psychological opinion, Justin needs a cluebat, STAT! I don't think even Elliot is that unaware...
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    in my honest psychological opinion, Justin needs a cluebat, STAT! I don't think even Elliot is that unaware...
    Justin saw the guy give one look at his attractive female coworker and stammer a hasty retreat. He has reason to think the guy is heterosexual, so he is not looking for clues at all.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: El Goonish Shive II - I stand by my ridiculous comic

Justin saw the guy give one look at his attractive female coworker and stammer a hasty retreat. He has reason to think the guy is heterosexual, so he is not looking for clues at all.

GW
    Considering the variety of sexualities among his friends, Justin should be aware that attraction towards one woman implies very little. At best, it could be taken as implication that Luke might be straight, heteroflexible, bi, pan or homoflexible. I know Justin is clueless enough to be unable to tell that Luke was scared of Grace hurting him, but he should know that much!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Considering the variety of sexualities among his friends, Justin should be aware that attraction towards one woman implies very little. At best, it could be taken as implication that Luke might be straight, heteroflexible, bi, pan or homoflexible. I know Justin is clueless enough to be unable to tell that Luke was scared of Grace hurting him, but he should know that much!
    All of those except straight would be expected to show similar reactions to Justin as he did to Grace - but Luke did not become a blubbering mess when talking to Justin. Besides, Justin knows statistics. The chance that a male showing distress in presence of a woman is anything other than heterosexual are remote. Given that the same individual didn't show similar levels of distress when talking to him, all signs as he is reading them point towards "plain old vanilla straight geek".

To be absolutely clear, I am stating that his conclusion is logical based on an initial wrong assessment that is perfectly reasonable given context. By and large, geek males are heterosexual and shy around women, and vastly outnumber males in all other sexual attraction variations. Misunderstanding Luke's reaction to Grace is not a stretch at all. From there on, on that incorrect basis, everything Luke has done can easily be interpreted as "hetero geek".

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, what I meant by "Justin really doesn't have the best idea of who is attracted to him does he" I didn't mean that he was being oblivious or stupid when he didn't recognize it. Neither George or Luke are really being overt whatsoever except for, http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1899, in which case Justin isn't even looking in the same direction as Luke so ya he would miss that. It was more of just an amusing observation.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Hm, this may be extremely old news, but I realized that Archie (from the Second Life universe) is almost certainly the alternate of Noah.

From this realization several conclusions (and at least one imporant question) can be drawn concerning Noah's nature...

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└rē+Rē-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

29. - Top - End - #269
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geordnet View Post
    Hm, this may be extremely old news, but I realized that Archie (from the Second Life universe) is almost certainly the alternate of Noah.

From this realization several conclusions (and at least one imporant question) can be drawn concerning Noah's nature...
    I thought of that. Also matches well with the theory that Noah is a seyunolu, and with his relationship with Melissa.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooooh

Nice catch guys, that does explain some things