New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive II - I stand by my ridiculous comic

When I played Magic tournaments, if there was a draw when we reached time, we'd start a new game and the first person to deal damage would win. This was super biased toward some decks though. I remember once, the other guy started and did damage to me on his first time (direct black spell). That was frustrating.

I hadn't heard of draws. They just weren't accepted when I played.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

For at least... seven years now (and likely more, I'm not sure the exact date), when time is called, the official rules are that there are five turns left in the game, starting with the current turn as "1". If no one wins by then, the game ends in a draw, and the scores are calculated based on that.

If it was during the timeframe with these rules, then it's a shame that your tournament organizer ignored the rules

3. - Top - End - #633
    Barbarian in the Playground

So I'm still hoping for a battle of magical cards and wits for these last five turns.

"So Luke, a deck full of fairies? I'd say that fits your skin... tone."
    "Your play style indicates you like to thoroughly research your opponents. Did you do that for me?"
    "It was mostly accidental, whereas you came here with intention. That's interesting."
    "Interesting? I'm flattered. I'd ask you out but I like pink better than purple."
    "As for me, I really don't like your eyes."

...Only about 20% cooler.
    Last edited by The Mormegil; 2014-11-18 at 01:11 PM.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm wondering how, exactly, they got the resources to build two separate-but-equal pillowfort/"control" decks during the same draft (all those drakes and faeries and negative enchants had to take up space in the packs, after all). Was there a lot of removal in the pool? (There must have been, considering Sarah's complaints about the "icky" removal spells, but still) Also, the "-but-equal" part strikes me as especially odd. You'd think that there'd be some white-looking spells in there somewhere, but no, it's blue drake, vs. blue Nanase fairies, messed with on both sides by blue-looking spells. Two of the same mono-color deck in the same draft is not probable, for many reasons up to and including lack of resources, as I mentioned. And it's not as though we don't have examples of white creatures (see also: Sam's deck).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Me thinks you are over thinking this, Dan probably wanted Luke's and Tedd's decks to be identical similar for plot and/or comedic reasons.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

It's fairly easy to build similar decks, assuming that you're on opposite ends of the table and not right next to each other. You'll pick similar cards and gut the card pool for others, but it's possible and I've had it happen to me. They may have also had multiple draft pods, if they had 16 or more people.

Off the top of my head, the two draft formats that had absolutely amazing blue flier decks were Rise of the Eldrazi and Scars of Mirrodin/Mirrodin Besieged. I generally went for that archetype when drafting that, and it was common to run into people with similar decks. There's a lot of cards in a draft.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I'm wondering how, exactly, they got the resources to build two separate-but-equal pillowfort/"control" decks during the same draft (all those drakes and faeries and negative enchants had to take up space in the packs, after all). Was there a lot of removal in the pool? (There must have been, considering Sarah's complaints about the "icky" removal spells, but still) Also, the "-but-equal" part strikes me as especially odd. You'd think that there'd be some white-looking spells in there somewhere, but no, it's blue drake, vs. blue Nanase fairies, messed with on both sides by blue-looking spells. Two of the same mono-color deck in the same draft is not probable, for many reasons up to and including lack of resources, as I mentioned. And it's not as though we don't have examples of white creatures (see also: Sam's deck).
    I don't think it was a draft - looks like they all just got a lot of packs for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, yeah, my bad. I went back and checked, they're playing Sealed Deck.

That makes it much easier to get the same cards, just mostly luck-based. Maybe Pandora had a hand in it.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Ah, yeah, my bad. I went back and checked, they're playing Sealed Deck.

That makes it much easier to get the same cards, just mostly luck-based. Maybe Pandora had a hand in it.
    Yeah, that does make more sense. Of course, saying "Pandora did it!" is always applicable.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler: New comic
    Show
    Yay!
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

11. - Top - End - #641

What were we saying about preachy? Anyway, alright, this storyline is now put together nicely. Sarah has a reason for being there and for having an otherwise pretty pointless arc. I still find Rich and Larry annoying and I still think they could've been excluded without much trouble, but whatever. Now wrap up the match with Luke so we can get to the good part. By which I mean the next conversation between Verres and son. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he'll say. Maybe he'll feign a seizure.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you mean Verres and child :P

I really enjoyed the latest few updates.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    What were we saying about preachy?
    Are you referring to the whole one sentence in the comic or the rant in the commentary?

Either way it seems necessary, or at least understandable, since Dan read people calling Sarah a hypocrite the very same day he put that particular comic up.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2014-11-20 at 10:22 PM.

14. - Top - End - #644

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Are you referring to the whole one sentence in the comic or the rant in the commentary?

Either way it seems necessary, or at least understandable, since Dan read people calling Sarah a hypocrite the very same day he put that particular comic up.
    Understandable, yes, necessary... not really. But whatever, it's probably just because I put more thought into the whole thing due to context.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    I think you mean Verres and child :P
    Thank you. I'm really not used to this.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

No! Sarah, no! Run before it's too late! Rescue your disposable income!
    Last edited by Weimann; 2014-12-03 at 08:21 AM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

16. - Top - End - #646
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Yay! Some Guy won! Mrs. Guy must be so proud of her son.
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

17. - Top - End - #647

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Some Guy's name was ACTUALLY... Guy Sommer? That is an actual surname and an actual name.

18. - Top - End - #648

With the new comic, I'd just like to say that I like Larry as a character. Although this is mainly because I could see myself acting like him under different circumstances, specifically having a friend like Rich.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

Well. Grace likes the airplane method, apparently. Even when it's not much less discreet than just screaming.

Probably even less discreet than telekinetically slapping them in the face.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2014-12-15 at 07:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

Something tells me Sam is going to be really glad he met Sarah and her circle of friends... At least until one of the much more horrifying set of antics happens.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #651
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Something tells me Sam is going to be really glad he met Sarah and her circle of friends... At least until one of the much more horrifying set of antics happens.
    I've been imagining for a while Sam telling Sarah he's trans, and being thoroughly confused when she suffers a bout of uncontrollable laughter, hastily gives a vague apology, and dashes off to call Tedd to ask for a gender-swapping watch for him.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

22. - Top - End - #652

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I've been imagining for a while Sam telling Sarah he's trans, and being thoroughly confused when she suffers a bout of uncontrollable laughter, hastily gives a vague apology, and dashes off to call Tedd to ask for a gender-swapping watch for him.
    Not gonna happen. He's not really into the whole magic deal yet. I however CAN see her be much more relaxed about it than he might suppose based on the fact that IF things get serious between them, she could probably ask a watch. I can't see Sarah asking a watch before she gets to know Sam a bit better though.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Not gonna happen. He's not really into the whole magic deal yet. I however CAN see her be much more relaxed about it than he might suppose based on the fact that IF things get serious between them, she could probably ask a watch. I can't see Sarah asking a watch before she gets to know Sam a bit better though.
    I don't see Sam telling her he's trans until they know each other really well, at which point the problem resolves itself. Letting it slip, however...

24. - Top - End - #654
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Oh god that dramatic cliffhanger!
    How will I ever survive?!?
    I am on the edge of my seat over whether or not Grace will find George's coat, and I can't believe I have to wait a WHOLE WEEK!
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

25. - Top - End - #655

I'm curious as to why he sent her. He clearly wants to talk to them but I don't understand why he would feel Grace needs to be excluded...

26. - Top - End - #656

I'm curious as to why he sent her. He clearly wants to talk to them but I don't understand why he would feel Grace needs to be excluded...
    I think it's just a good way to transition to "he's leaving now". He's suspicious, but he hasn't tried to seriously push the issue since he learned Justin is gay.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I think it's just a good way to transition to "he's leaving now". He's suspicious, but he hasn't tried to seriously push the issue since he learned Justin is gay.
    Is that what he learned? I thought it was that Elliot wasn't Justin's boyfriend. I figured that George always* knew Justin was gay. Hence why George had a problem with Elliot but not Justin's female friends. George is against Justin being in a relationship (likely due to jealousy.) Its also why he glared at Luke.

*By always I mean George learned it an indeterminate time before he was introduced in the comic.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2014-12-21 at 11:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #658

You're right, I was misremembering it. In any case, George hasn't seriously pushed the issue of secret magic stuff since that revelation. Blatantly express suspicion of it, yes, try to corner someone and insist on getting information, no.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #659
    Colossus in the Playground

Hi. Been reading since half way through Sister 2. Fist time posting here.

is accidental foreshadowing a thing?

Becuase I'm pretty sure Tedd's Gender Identuity wasn't a thing planned from the begining, but I can't think of this strip anymore without thinking "Well, maybe..."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Hi. Been reading since half way through Sister 2. Fist time posting here.

is accidental foreshadowing a thing?

Becuase I'm pretty sure Tedd's Gender Identuity wasn't a thing planned from the begining, but I can't think of this strip anymore without thinking "Well, maybe..."
    Not really, I think that's just a running gag they've used a lot.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.