New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 45 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Giant League II: It's Super Effective! (Competitive Pokemon ITP)

Please post or PM me if you have any interest at all in helping design badges, trophies, or any art at all appropriate to the League!

The League has done well enough to require a second thread. That's certainly a first for a thread I've started!

Giant League Wiki

Spoiler: Gym Leaders
    Show

Quietus - Bug
    DarkLightDragon - Dark
    Qwertystop - Electric, Normal
    Rezkeshdadesh - Fairy
    JustPlayItLoud - Ground
    Laughing Dog - Ice
    Kuulvheysoon - Poison
    Svata - Psychic
    Xondoure - Rock
    noparlpf - Water, Fire
    Vaynor - Steel

There are still spots open if anyone still wants to be a gym leader. Some people have expressed interest in - and are working toward - running a second gym.

Spoiler: Battle Rules
    Show
    Species Clause - A player cannot have two Pokemon with the same National Pokédex number on a team.

Sleep Clause - You lose if, at the end of your turn, two of your opponent's Pokemon were put to sleep by a move you used but were not forced into, and neither have had their sleep removed since. The clause basically means that if you have already put a Pokemon on your opponent's side to sleep and it is still sleeping, you can't put another one to sleep. A move you were "forced into" is a move you must use because all other moves (that cannot inflict sleep) are disabled (by Choice item, Encore, or some combination of Taunt, Disable, Torment, and lack of PP) and you cannot switch (due to trapping moves, trapping abilities, Ingrain, or having all other Pokemon be fainted). A move you used includes moves called by Metronome, Sleep Talk, Assist, Me First, or Copycat. It does not include Magic Coat or Magic Bounce. Rest, used by either player, is never counted by this clause.

Evasion Clause - A Pokemon may not have the moves Double Team or Minimize in its moveset. A Pokemon may not have the abilities Sand Veil or Snow Cloak. A Pokemon may not hold the item Bright Powder.

OHKO Clause - A Pokemon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold in its moveset.

Endless Battle Clause - A Pokemon may not have a moveset with the potential to create an endless battle as defined here

Additionally, Smogon is currently conducting a vote to potentially ban SwagPlay, a strategy involving Pokemon with Prankster using combinations of Swagger, Will-O-Wisp, Foul Play, and other moves. This is becoming a popular playstyle, frequently an entire team of nothing but Prankster Swagger Pokemon, and it has been argued to be non-competitive because it requires entirely on luck rather than strategy. We should decide what we want to do with it. If we do elect to ban it, we should discuss exactly how it will work.

Banned Pokemon
    Arceus - All
    Blaziken line with Speed Boost
    Darkrai
    Deoxys
    Deoxys-A
    Dialga
    Genesect
    Giratina
    Giratina-O
    Groudon
    Ho-Oh
    Kyogre
    Kyurem-W
    Lugia
    Mewtwo
    Palkia
    Rayquaza
    Reshiram
    Shaymin-S
    Xerneas
    Yveltal
    Zekrom

Additionally, prevailing opinion on the forum has been to similarly ban any "unique" Pokemon as it doesn't fit with the spirit of gym leaders and league play. This would basically mean anything that can only be gotten once in any single playthrough without trading. This would add Zygarde, all the legendary trios, Lati@s, and some more to the banlist.

Banned Abilities
    Moody
    Sand Veil
    Snow Cloak

Banned Items
    Blazikenite
    Gengarite
    Kangaskhanite
    Lucarionite

Banned Moves
    Swagger

Spoiler: League Rules
    Show
    Pokemon trainers challenging for badges must have a registered "pool" of 8 different Pokemon species that they use to challenge gyms. Only the species is registered and the Pokemon may have any legal build in battle. One of these will be designated a "signature" Pokemon and must be used in all League sanctioned battles.

Gym leaders have the same pool, but with only 6 registered species.

Formal challenges shall be posted to this or subsequent thread(s) as well as PMed to the gym leader. Gym leaders may also post an informal invitation to the thread (hey, I'll be online for the next two hours, PM me or send me a battle request in game)

Formal challenges must receive a response within 72 hours

Formal challenges should take place within one week of challenge unless gym leader and challenger mutually agree otherwise. If the week time frame is going to be a problem, say so in the challenge/response to challenge.

A lost challenge means the challenger may not battle that gym leader for a badge again for one week.

The Champion of a season tournament holds that title until the next tournament. They may either automatically enter the next tournament with their winning team, or enter normally as a challenger with any team.

Challengers vying for leadership of a gym must post their proposed team and defeat the gym leader with it to take leadership. A gym leader challenge is unique in that the battle is decided as best 2 out of 3 rather than single elimination as regular badge battles. A prospective challenger may not challenge a leader for leadership of a gym more than once per month.

Absentee gym leaders are dealt with in a three strike system. After failing to respond to a challenge, or to organize an accepted challenge, they receive a strike. After three strikes they are removed from duty as gym leaders. As all formal challenges are public, strikes will be easy to verify.

If a gym leaders and challenger confirm an official date and time for a challenge and the challenge goes unanswered, the leader does not forfeit a badge but does earn a strike.

Gym badge battles are single elimination. The exact format of the battle (singles, doubles, triples, etc.) are decided by the gym leader at the time of the challenge. Battles are assumed to be at lv. 50 unless otherwise agreed to beforehand by leader and challenger.

Upon losing a match a trainer or gym leader may change one of the registered species in their pool of Pokemon. Alternately, they may change which is designated as "signature" if they do not elect to remove the signature Pokemon from the roster entirely. After a team has lost three consecutive battles as either challenger or challenged they may swap out their entire roster as long as the new time is in compliance with League rules.

Competition is organized into seasons. A season last 4 months, followed by a season championship tournament. The remainder of time of the six months from the start of a season is used for discussion, recuperation, and preparing for the next season.

A season's League Champion earns automatic entry into next season's tournament with their winning team or may earn badges normally with any team for the next season.

Trainer must earn a minimum of eight different badges to be eligible for entry into the Seasonal League Championship.

Spoiler: Helpful Links
    Show

Serebii - Databases. So many Pokemon databases
    Smogon - The place to go for competitive Pokemon on the net.
    Pokemon damage calculator - Do I 2HKO or 3HKO Blissey? Why wonder? Do the math.
    Type coverage calcutor - What completely walls your type coverage?
    The Giant League - A place to chronicle our League.

Any other thoughts or concerns? Post them here or PM me, I'll respond as soon as I can. I check the forum basically everyday.
    Last edited by JustPlayItLoud; 2014-10-19 at 10:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Giant League II: It's Super Effective!

Why don't we give our official site a more prominent place in the OP, maybe right toward the top, so it's easier to find.

I can't accept challenges right now, but if you challenge, I should be able to get them in this week, maybe tomorrow.

EDIT: I'd recommend putting Pokemon in the thread title, since it might not be obvious what the thread is about to the uninitiated otherwise.
    Last edited by Sylthia; 2014-05-20 at 12:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

My Challenger team is ready again. And, as it lost a battle, I'm officially changing out one mon: Kingdra being replaced with Dragonite.

Anyone up for challenges? I'm available for an hour or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

From the previous thread...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon
    Grassy Terrain/Ingrain/Curse/Power Whip. I have a few moveset ideas in mind, each involving one or more of these moves.

Modest, with HP Fire? Stop tempting me so!
    My baby Bulbasaurs have egg moves, but of the four you're looking for, only have Power Whip. I'm in the middle of a big push for Larvitar (just finished getting a few Careful ones, probably going to breed up a box of Jolly and pull out what five-IVs that I can); after I'm done that, I'll see what I can do regarding Adamant Bulbasaur. If you're interested in the Modest ones, however, it's worth noting that all of them also have Chlorophyll.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Excuse the double post, but I'm going to knock this in here : I am now done breeding a variety of Larvitar. A run of 30 Jolly (egg moves : Outrage, Dragon Dance, Stealth Rock, Pursuit) has produced 1 perfect and 9 five-IV, all missing s.atk. If anyone needs one of them, let me know!
    Last edited by Quietus; 2014-05-20 at 10:23 PM.

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    Excuse the double post, but I'm going to knock this in here : I am now done breeding a variety of Larvitar. A run of 30 Jolly (egg moves : Outrage, Dragon Dance, Stealth Rock, Pursuit) has produced 1 perfect and 9 five-IV, all missing s.atk. If anyone needs one of them, let me know!
    I would love one. T-tar is my boy and I'm surprised I haven't bred one up yet this generation. You need anything? Best stuff I have right now is some Jolly Gibles, some perfect Impish Furfrous (missing SpA), and some ESpeed/DDance Dratinis if you didn't already get one. I also have a bunch of stuff with egg moves I don't even remember, so let me know if you want something specific as I might have it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JustPlayItLoud View Post
    I would love one. T-tar is my boy and I'm surprised I haven't bred one up yet this generation. You need anything? Best stuff I have right now is some Jolly Gibles, some perfect Impish Furfrous (missing SpA), and some ESpeed/DDance Dratinis if you didn't already get one. I also have a bunch of stuff with egg moves I don't even remember, so let me know if you want something specific as I might have it.
    I don't think there's anything in particular I need; I actually am at a point now where I have a full box of things that either need to be EV trained, or just straight up level trained. They're taking up too much space. I got an Espeed/Ddance Dratini with Marvel Scale the other day, and have bred some extras.

... Actually, I lied. If you have a male Snorlax that knows Belly Drum, I could re-breed some of my Charmanders. If not, then a Furfrou works, the amusement factor is totally worth it.
    Last edited by Quietus; 2014-05-20 at 11:17 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Definitely don't have that. My Snorlax is whatever level you catch it at plus the experience it got breeding Munchlax. And the only breeding worthy Pokemon I have with Belly Drum is Azumarill.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

My baby Bulbasaurs have egg moves, but of the four you're looking for, only have Power Whip. I'm in the middle of a big push for Larvitar (just finished getting a few Careful ones, probably going to breed up a box of Jolly and pull out what five-IVs that I can); after I'm done that, I'll see what I can do regarding Adamant Bulbasaur. If you're interested in the Modest ones, however, it's worth noting that all of them also have Chlorophyll.
    I'll be perfectly happy with a Modest. I can always use it as a base, plus I'll have an awesome special attacker if I change my mind on which strategy to use!

Can't take challenges right now. I need to leave soon and am going to be busy for a good chunk of the day.
    Click to view my dragons and help them grow!
    Please help my Pokemon!

4TH DEGREE!
    Winner of the 1st, 7th and 8th rounds of original Ready, Aim, Fire!

Pokemon X Info:
    3DS Code: 3110-5232-7003
    Character Name: Gwendolyn
    Pokemon for trade: Here

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Definitely don't have that. My Snorlax is whatever level you catch it at plus the experience it got breeding Munchlax. And the only breeding worthy Pokemon I have with Belly Drum is Azumarill.
    Yeah, my Marills I bred also have Belly Drum; I guess I can breed it into Charizard through Slowpoke, not ideal but it'd be faster than leveling a Snorlax to 44... maybe. Suppose more accurately, it'd be faster than breeding a Snorlax, leveling it, and then passing the move down. So, Furfrou will work just fine! Toaster, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
    I'll be perfectly happy with a Modest. I can always use it as a base, plus I'll have an awesome special attacker if I change my mind on which strategy to use!

Can't take challenges right now. I need to leave soon and am going to be busy for a good chunk of the day.
    Cool beans, I'll probably produce a few extras of the modest/HP Fire versions; I've got a good enough base to work from that I can reliably hit 31/x/31/30/31/30, where Attack is even, 1 in 12 eggs. Also, they all come with Giga Drain, Petal Dance, and Power Whip for lulz. I'll have to add your friend code, though!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, my Marills I bred also have Belly Drum; I guess I can breed it into Charizard through Slowpoke, not ideal but it'd be faster than leveling a Snorlax to 44... maybe. Suppose more accurately, it'd be faster than breeding a Snorlax, leveling it, and then passing the move down. So, Furfrou will work just fine! Toaster, right?
    That's correct. Would you like a male or female?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

That's correct. Would you like a male or female?
    Let's go female, so that if I want to breed more moves onto it later or something I can do so easily. I'm a little overobsessive about creating stables of things I have bred, and for putting extra moves on them whether they need it or not.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Giant League II: It's Super Effective! (Competitive Pokemon ITP)

Sounds good. I'll be available sporadically today and more steadily this evening. If you see me online hit me with a trade request. Otherwise let me know of there's a good time for you and I'll try to make sure to be online.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Giant League II: It's Super Effective! (Competitive Pokemon ITP)

Thanks for adding Pokemon to the thread title.

I'll be going to bed in a bit, but if anyone needs a Fey badge, I should be able to do it now, or tomorrow evening.

3DS Name: Rezzy, FC: 0104-0343-1530

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

Fire Emblem Fates Castle Address
    05107-66614
    62592-54117

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rezkeshdadesh View Post
    Thanks for adding Pokemon to the thread title.

I'll be going to bed in a bit, but if anyone needs a Fey badge, I should be able to do it now, or tomorrow evening.
    Logging on now - what format?

EDIT: Or you're not on anymore.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2014-05-21 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Sounds good. I'll be available sporadically today and more steadily this evening. If you see me online hit me with a trade request. Otherwise let me know of there's a good time for you and I'll try to make sure to be online.
    Will do; I'm on now as well, but I'm doing Le Wow; I have something like 15 pokemon waiting to be leveled, figured it was time to put a little work in. If you don't catch me, that's why.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Logging on now - what format?

EDIT: Or you're not on anymore.
    Sorry, about that. If you still wish to challenge, it's singles 6v6 at level 50.

EDIT: I seem to have missed you. I'll stay on for a bit, but if I can't catch you tonight, I should be able to do it tomorrow.
    Last edited by Sylthia; 2014-05-21 at 04:16 PM.

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Busy day/evening! Most of what I've bred is now EV'ed, and three five of them are even level 100 now. Several are much closer than they were.
    Last edited by Quietus; 2014-05-21 at 11:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I ended up taking a nap after getting into town and then spending some time with my niece at my mom's house.

If anyone posts here, I'll make an effort to get online after dinner tonight.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Another four pokemon up to level 100 tonight; sitting at 27 fully trained, now. Don't know if I've got everything I need to field a challenger team I'm happy with, but I'm definitely much closer!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Still away from wifi for a few more days, but I'm just checking in on the new thread.
    Jude P.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Still away from wifi for a few more days, but I'm just checking in on the new thread.
    I eagerly await the chance for a rematch against your water gym.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Just did my Froakies; 100 eggs, 7 that are 31/x/31/31/31/31 Protean, one random shiny with Torrent.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Just did my Froakies; 100 eggs, 7 that are 31/x/31/31/31/31 Protean, one random shiny with Torrent.
    Aren't the shinies frustrating like that? Got a 5 shiny IV Shed Skin Dratini when I was breeding ESpeed/DDance babies. Was breeding Eevees with the intent of getting an Espeon and got a 4 IV Shiny with Cute Charm so it was useless for other things because of Nature and without access to Magic Bounce it was useless as THE COOLEST LOOKING SHINY EEVEELUTION!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Aren't the shinies frustrating like that? Got a 5 shiny IV Shed Skin Dratini when I was breeding ESpeed/DDance babies. Was breeding Eevees with the intent of getting an Espeon and got a 4 IV Shiny with Cute Charm so it was useless for other things because of Nature and without access to Magic Bounce it was useless as THE COOLEST LOOKING SHINY EEVEELUTION!
    Yeah, well; I was stuck using a male as a breeding source, I didn't get the female one until #5, and by that point I was at the 90 egg mark. Figured I'd just wrap up with ten more eggs, and that's how I rounded out my 7. I got my shiny on egg.. 75 or so? Odds were against me, but I'm not too upset about it. I've managed 9 shinies in 1600 eggs, at least as far as masuda/shiny charm goes - plus a few before I started counting, and a few non-masuda. I've been helping with the Smogon research into whether or not the shiny charm helps in breeding or not.

26. - Top - End - #26

I'm going to get something to eat, farm in the hopes of leftovers... while waiting to take challenges for the dark gym, I guess.

I really, really wish you could use the battle box when challenged. I wouldn't have to turn down all these passersby then.
    Please help my Pokemon!

4TH DEGREE!

Pokemon X Info:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'm going to get something to eat, farm in the hopes of leftovers... while waiting to take challenges for the dark gym, I guess.

I really, really wish you could use the battle box when challenged. I wouldn't have to turn down all these passersby then.
    I've always been able to; after it shows you the screen with Pokemon List, something else, and Battle Start, if you choose Battle Start, then you'll get to choose between battle box and party.

28. - Top - End - #28

I've always been able to; after it shows you the screen with Pokemon List, something else, and Battle Start, if you choose Battle Start, then you'll get to choose between battle box and party.
    Odd. While I can use the box in the battle spot, the one time I accepted a challenge from a random passerby, it forced me to choose from party Pokemon. I had to disconnect since I was breeding. -_-
    Please help my Pokemon!

4TH DEGREE!

Pokemon X Info:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Odd. While I can use the box in the battle spot, the one time I accepted a challenge from a random passerby, it forced me to choose from party Pokemon. I had to disconnect since I was breeding. -_-
    Ouch, that always sucks. I once took a challenge from a passerby, then realized I'd given moves to my battle team for breeding purposes and got trounced.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to finish that challenge I started today if possible.