IC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Icewind Dale (and beyond)[/URL]

OOC Forum: Heretic's Bane - OOC Group

Heretic's Bane Wiki - http://hereticsbane.wikispaces.com/

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: [3.5E] Heretic's Bane - Beyond the Dale

Johannes

Surveying the overland and complex maps, Johannes sucks at a bit of lunch stuck in his teeth.

"Okay, so we've got some research to do. Which of these that we've talked about can we get on scrolls? Can Buna get a golem finished and modified to take a tombstone in time? Can we scry on the areas of this tunnel, the gatehouse, the vault and the archives? How many of those flame-spreader things could we borrow from our friends back home? What's in between the Halls and this vault thingy? What's the vault thingy supposed to be like?"

He puffs out his cheeks.

"We've got a few weeks before we march, right? What say we take a day or two to get some answers to these questions, and meet again to share more ideas - say, over a leisurely lunch tomorrow?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

After a long discussion going over details of what their plan, the group decides to turn in. They had a month, at the least, to get a plan together. For some of the group, it probably felt like an eternity. For others, no where near as long as they needed. It was the time that they had though.

Before they break, Valina tries to summarize what they know of their plan.

"Our first step seems to be a desire to scry the area. We need to know the length o'the tunnel and how well defended that fort is, in case we either plan to take it ourselves or so we know how fast we need to run from it. I suspect dat if the Princes have access to any sort o'scrying, they'll be using it on the rest of the Halls quite intensively so anything we need doing, we need to do ourselves. So who here can actually scry?

After that, we need to locally gather the resources for a Forbiddance Spell. We need to requisition a tombstone, along with the flamers, and probably some explosives. We need teleportation scrolls, and a better map what is between us and the Royal Vaults. I suspect the Princes or one of the Clans can help out with that. We also need to seem about doing some planar binding or calling, to see about getting some Archons to join us? A capital idea, but we need to think how we deploy the stone with the archon, or archons. I expect the temple here has an appropriate circle for our needs though. If those orcs can summon devils, I think if we can get any sort of number of celestials on our side, it would help the Prince's assault too. I know they must seem like rubes to all of ye, but these Tethyamar have had a very long time to think of this so they may have ideas too.

The biggest question we have is do we block the tunnel and go straight for the vault, go for the Vault first and risk any strategic surprise that our allies have, or do we block the tunnel, go to ground somewhere to recover, and hit the Vault when we're back to full strength? I t'hink that's the biggest outstanding question, one best for our deepest military thinkers
    " she says and shamelessly gives Magnum a smile.

"Sounds like a good start, anyways" Buna nods in agreement, only a little bit of a grumble in her voice. "Anyone else have a parting thought?"
    Last edited by mshady; 2014-06-03 at 07:59 AM.
    "Clerics: Just because they heal you, it doesn't mean they like you."

Heretic's Bane - DM

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

"Do we know fer sure where da vaults are?" Grathalmor asks. "Da prince said the knowledge was lost ta dem. Dey were relyin' on us ta know where dey are. If we have an idea, we should cut off da tunnel an' head fer da vault."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Valina:

"We know where they are" she says with a sigh. "In the Black Books, we keep things like that. Fleeing was always an option if we failed, so I spent years having some of our most important old books transcribed and hidden in the Underdark in case we ever needed them. With how many times dwarfhomes have rose and fall, doing such things is part of our continuity plan, so I did it fairly openly. No one ever suspected little old me" she says with a sly smile. "We got most of the caches I left, but there are some particular ones that still need retrieval at some point. Some things that the Patriarch does not want others to know about, and are best forgotten. Detailas of certain pacts our ancestors and Thurgar made, darker parts of our history than the Patriarch will ever tell you, and so on. We have what we need. The problem is They have all of it" she says and shrugs. "Anyways, yes we know where the Vault is because we raided the Royal Vault of Tethyamar before and since I doubt it's moved, we should be able to get to it pretty exactly. There are certain "way points" though, that can be scryed. If we know their exact location, truly exact, we can use them to get very close to the Vault with teleportation magic. Anyways, I'll have to have the book brought down to us. No other way, really"
    Last edited by mshady; 2014-06-05 at 07:36 PM.

Heretic's Bane - DM

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thordrek

Having the books will be extremely useful. As for the order we do things... if we don't need to take the fort nothing's keeping us from collapsing the tunnels a few miles away, we get the same result with much lesser odds of getting spotted, then we don't need the rest period, at worst Buna is out a few spells, that's never stopped her before. I'd like to run that part by Tezzter, see what fits better with his plans. We also need to know how many teleport scrolls and other resources we can rustle up, both from the Tethyamar families and the Patriarchate, and if a forbiddance scroll is in the cards or not, that'd seem like a job for Valina and Johanness. Those of us who have access to scrying spells have their work cut out for them, we need as much information as we can get on the current status of the place, hell ideally we'd capture a few orcs and interrogate them.... Which might be feasible now that I think about it. Magnum and I will coordinate with the clan leaders, I assume some of them have clerics and wizards who can scry, there's no sense in not working together on this. Nalrak, maybe you could see what you can do about the field hospital, we'll need you with us for the actual mission but you can help them with the setup and maybe train some field surgeons. Wyatt. I'd like you to work with the diviners, guide them on what information is most important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

8. - Top - End - #8

Beholder

"If Buna can spare me while she's scrying, I'll start wit' trainin' troop." Grathamor replies. "Not much else I can do oderwise."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Magnum

"My initial idea is ta block da tunnel first, den make our way ta da vault, restin' somewhere if needed. But wid all dat was said here, anoder strategy might be best. So it'll require some deep thought indeed," the war priest furrowed his brow and stroked his beard, though he flashed Valina a brief smile in return.

"As ta scryin' I'll start tomorrow, concentratin' on da gatehouse an' da tunnel outside it. I can do up ta three each day, though a Commune spell might reveal more information if da questions are well thought out an' worded right."

"Might be useful ta get more'n one Forbiddance scroll, an' obtainin' or creatin' a few teleport scrolls, if possible."
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Thordrek

Nalrak, maybe you could see what you can do about the field hospital, we'll need you with us for the actual mission but you can help them with the setup and maybe train some field surgeons.
    "Hmm? Aye." Nalrak is shaken to attention by the mention of field hospitals, surgeons, and ways he can actuall contribute. In the past, he could have offered his skills with a scroll or two, donning his bifocals to squint at the calligraphy and sound out the syllables that unlocked the most powerful of magics. But now, the glasses were gone as were the scrolls. It wasn't entirely a sacrifice, as Nalrak had received a newfound sense of internal peace and strength, but this was the first time that foreswearing all material goods was actually causing him difficulty. Even still, he had chosen the path of righteousness rather than the path of convenience. With a deep sigh, he entered the conversation.

"Sorry to say I won't be able to lay a hand on any of those scrolls, but I can get a crash team up to speed on basic combat healing. I'll also spend some time listening in prayer to see what suggestions Dumathoin might whisper."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Johannes

Johannes nods. These all seemed like reasonable preparations.

"Meanwhile, there's not much else I can do here, so I'll try to access the Princes' libraries to learn what I can about the history of the lovely vacation spots we'll be visiting. Perhaps there are details that we'll be able to make use of."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

With not much else to do, the group breaks up for the night to get some food and rest before taking on what comes next. Their quarters are basic, with straw beds and blankets, but at least they have their own individual cells that allow them room enough to relax, prepare food and clean their equipment. Each room has a large trunk and a key by it, so they can lock up their possessions. As trusting as these Tethyamar are, at least they still valued protecting what was yours instead of some disconcerting communal arrangement. That would be quite undwarflike! The next day, the start to set about their tasks.

Johannes

Johannes decides to take a walking tour of the Brightblade Halls by himself. While it is not a long tour, he is often met with suspicious looks from some of the other dwarfs. His dress is quite different, nearly garish, and no one here had ever saw a hat with as big a feather as Johannes had. He is frequently asked if he or his ancestors were one of the Jilkers, as word of the bloody history between the groups had rapidly spread. Johannes give the same explanation several times, that almost all who are part of them now are new to the group and had nothing to do with the previous, regrettable, history. Everything is very neat, gas lights illuminate many areas and running water can be found in several spots, a marvel anywhere outside of a dwarfhold or Sigil, in his experience. When he finally makes his way to where the Princes are in the afternoon, he is shown into a war council room where the two Princes and several advisors. Most of the leaders of the other Clans are there and all seem mildly irritated at the interruption, but Johannes explains his need for a comprehensive map of the Tethyamar Empire so they can plot a resting place between missions. Several of the leaders are apprehensive about providing such a thing, until Tasster growls at them about all the help that was being provided. Both Princes plan to have a copy of the best one they have provided to them and excuse Johannes so they can get back to what they were planning. With nothing else ambitious on his mind for the day, he heads to the library and checks out a couple of history books to read over before heading outside to read them under a tree with a nice drink…

Nalrak
    The cleric rises and cleans himself in an empty, but ostensibly communal bath before the others rise. After that, he dons his priestly vestments of an earth-brown cloak with an over-robe and a hood all made of earthsilk and wool. The robes and cloak are all trimmed in black, as is the custom of the Patriarchate with much of their garb. The gem and mountain sigil of Dumathion rests above his heart, but otherwise there is no sign of his affiliation with the Patriarchate. The robes are a far cry from the rough spun wool and burlap he had initially donned, and these still felt too nice, but the cloak was practical enough with pockets and it was oiled properly for water proofing. The boots he wore were of equal quality, tough but practical and as unstylish as a lump of coal. The Matriarch had forced these robes upon him, and he had carefully inspected them to make sure no well-intentioned person had slipped an enchantment into the robes, but he had yet to find any. Otherwise he smoothed out his long, unbraided, beard with some water and got ready to leave. He left his morning star and light crossbow behind today, only taking his spell component pouch and surgical kit.

The cleric had much on his plate, truly. He needed to see about setting up a field hospital and making preparations for that. It was the kind of thing the Silver Knightingales did, and he was actually one of the more senior healers around. He also needed to find the Temple of Dumathion here, say his morning prayers and see about preparing for some sort of scrying or divination. He finds the temple with little effort, as the other dwarfs eagerly show him the way. He is shown to a winding stair case deep under the halls. The rock is shot through with veins of silver, and the temple below is a chamber of stone that has been mined out of all stone, leaving only the tendrils of silver and some granite columns for support. The altar is large, a lump of over a ton of silver and immensely valuable yet more valuable to these dwarfs as an altar all the same. No one else is here yet, or quietly left ahead of him, so Nalrak heads to the altar, kneels before it and prays to Dumathion as part of morning ritual. He also tries to open his mind for some sort of sign from Dumathion. He does not expect a whisper from the Silent Keeper, but some sort of sign would be helpful.
    What prayer does he say and what does he ask for a sign regarding?

More to come later tonight or tomorrow!

Heretic's Bane - DM

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Grathalmor

While Buna was occupied and not in need of a Sworn Shield, Grathalmor heads out for a tour of the Brightblade stronghold. The dwarfs here all seem fairly happy, something he was not used to growing up with the displaced Ironfists or the grim Jilkers. The trade of most he met here were actual trades. They had families, long roots here now, and the human influences here were evident just by looking around at some of the goods. Some dwarfs did not even have beards, instead wearing more "human" style hair, with it short and parted instead of long with plaited beards. It was refreshing at first, but Grathalmor soon had a concern about that. Was their heart really into a fight? How well trained were they?

Grathalmor sought out where a detachment of the Mithril Legion was training, and got a close look at their equipment. Most wore half plate armor, with axe and shield. The sergeants and officers each had full plate armor and magicked weapons at least. He also noticed three teams of four practicing in an unusual style, with three more modestly armored soldiers using large boar spears, complete with a long, silver blades and runes, along with a crossbar. The fourth bore plate mail and a great axe. It takes him a moment to realize this was how Prince Tasster fought against devils, at least reputedly. Everyone here seems competent enough, but the oft heard cussing of their officer when they try to march in formation and perform a shield wall, a square or a turtle formation, with shields covering above and to the sides. These were standard maneuvers for the Forgemark Legion, but seemed more challenging here. Of course, in the Legion the days began with hours of physical training, running and battle drills starting from the squad level up to weekly legion level trainings where they practiced maneuvers. Always with the sparring, training and practicing other skills. He doubted these soldiers were at the level of the Legion he knew, but Grathalmor also knew why they trained so hard too. He knew of the other Jilkers now, and their fearsome clockwork armor.

When he moved on to watching the militias practice, he was relieved to find that they seemed equipped well enough and fielded pikes primarily. It was a good "pattern" for dealing with orc hordes head on, relying on the pikes to keep the enemy far enough away that armor was rarely needed. That could work in the caverns too, but they would be very difficult to even get into position underground. They all had axes too, but chain shirts and shields were as good a it would get. What was concerning is that their officers seemed only modestly experienced, and the discipline here was predictably concerning. These dwarfs, which would probably make up most of the forces fielded, clearly trained infrequently. Until recently, it had been once a year and now it was monthly, a hardship he heard that many had complained about but sorely wished they had more of now. Some seemed scared, some seemed to doubt what they were doing. About a third were too young, and the other third too old too. In between drills, there were ale kegs available that most seemed to be making liberal use of. There were no where near as many officers or sergeants here as there were with the Legion troops he saw earlier. Most of them wore Mithril Legion livery as well.

They had potential, all dwarfs do, but it seemed that the Prince's plan was going to rely heavily on the comparatively few elite forces. Grathalmor hoped these dwarfs did not break and run at the sight of an orc horde, or worse, the other worldly devils they may face. Another concern was that many of the dwarfs in the hall were not out here practicing now. With these concerns in mind, Grathalmor decided he needed to talk to Thordrek and Magnum soon. The question was what to do about any of this.

Before he returned to the inside of the Brightblade stronghold, Grathalmor made his way to a nearly vacant archery range. He practiced with his crossbow, accurately placing most of the 20 bolts he shot, and they few there took notice. When he broke out the Little Doctors though, the booming report and smoky muzzle blast earned him an audience of the 7 or so others practicing. While only basic rounds, they each blew large chunks out of the straw targets. With only limited practice with the guns himself, each shot was slow in coming. The recoil left his wrists aching and his ears ringing, but there was no doubt about the effectiveness. Having two of them was quite handy, but he still remembered that one of them had been intended for his cousin.

With his practice done, he takes some time to try and teach the crossbowmen here a thing or two before retiring for the day to get an evening meal and consult with his comrades.

Heretic's Bane - DM

14. - Top - End - #14

Nalrak

The good doctor looked like more of an ascetic now than at any point since taking up his vow. His plainness stood in stark bas relief to the splendor of the silver veins in the rocks around him. He closes his eyes and slows his breathing, learning to listen to the silence of the stones as he had been taught many moons ago now. He feels the cool damp air hugging the back of his neck, and the chill of the stone against his knees was enough to penetrate any fabric. Here, in this silent moment, he felt the presence of Dumathoin. Nalrak empties his mind of its racing thoughts and stresses, focusing instead on his perception. He knew that it would have to be heightened to receive whatever quiet message Dumathoin had to give.

To him who speaks in silence, your servant is listening. Speak not, but show me the path. We seek to recover a lost artifact, along with the reputation of our clan. To succeed would mean the Jilkers would once more have a place in these halls. To fail would mean that we forever have a place to rest. In either path, your will be done. I fear my magic may not be strong enough to prepare us, and so I rely on you as I should have from the start. Keep my mouth closed so that I may hear, and my eyes open so that I may see. May I never forget that in your silence you are listening, and not abandoning. Amen.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Johannes

Johannes was becoming used to - or perhaps thrived on - cultivating differences from his dwarven peers. He had been careful to shave daily during his travels with the Patriarchate. And here he was, in another bastion of dwarfiness.

At least it was an interesting bastion. Architecturally, culturally, there was at least enough going on here to have some sense of...fashion. After a sort. Once you got past the omnipresent smells of coal fires, stale ale and dwarf sweat.

But a few years with the Patriarchate had taught Johannes well that dwarves were more than apt to take something like a bad smell, chant about it for a few decades and call it a tradition. So why bother pointing it out?

Similarly, simply by asking some very simple questions and calling the prince Highness, he had somehow already offended the local nobility, so Johannes pressed his luck as little as he could in securing a copy of the map to look at.

For the rest of the first day, he took his borrowed books back to their assigned quarters, hoping for a bit more conversation with Wyatt, Kal-Resh and Buna about the nature of combining a magic and stealth in the assault ahead.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2014-06-23 at 09:20 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Nalrak

The good doctor looked like more of an ascetic now than at any point since taking up his vow. His plainness stood in stark bas relief to the splendor of the silver veins in the rocks around him. He closes his eyes and slows his breathing, learning to listen to the silence of the stones as he had been taught many moons ago now. He feels the cool damp air hugging the back of his neck, and the chill of the stone against his knees was enough to penetrate any fabric. Here, in this silent moment, he felt the presence of Dumathoin. Nalrak empties his mind of its racing thoughts and stresses, focusing instead on his perception. He knew that it would have to be heightened to receive whatever quiet message Dumathoin had to give.

To him who speaks in silence, your servant is listening. Speak not, but show me the path. We seek to recover a lost artifact, along with the reputation of our clan. To succeed would mean the Jilkers would once more have a place in these halls. To fail would mean that we forever have a place to rest. In either path, your will be done. I fear my magic may not be strong enough to prepare us, and so I rely on you as I should have from the start. Keep my mouth closed so that I may hear, and my eyes open so that I may see. May I never forget that in your silence you are listening, and not abandoning. Amen.
    Nalrak waits for a moment, opening his mind for any sign in the dark temple. He hoped to see or feel something in that moment, but he hears nothing. The room is deathly quiet and he looks around for something. It was rare for the Keeper of Secrets under the Mountain to reveal much to anyone, and while it was not the first time he had asked something of his God, not once had there been a true, verifiable sign shown to him.

Listening more though, one thing Nalrak notices is the lack of sound. No faint hammerings of the forges, foot steps, voices, that minimal background noise you always here. For a moment, not much longer than it took for him to perceive the silence, the room was utterly silent. It was not natural.

It took him a moment, he knew what it was. It was a sign. It did not tell him what to do or give him something, but it was a general reassurance. Dumathion was listening to him. Not abandoning him. It also meant something else though. They had Dumathion's attention, for however long that lasted.

So now what?

Heretic's Bane - DM

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thordrek

Before leaving the room to seek out Tezzter, Thordrek asks one last thing to Wyatt

Tezzter mentioned that there were secret passages leading into the city, do you think you and Kal could go have a look in a few days or so? The less teleporting we have to do the better. And if you can manage it without undue danger capturing an orc for interrogation would be ideal.

Afterwards, he walks out and looks for the Princes. Once he manages to talk to them, he explains the gist of the discussion the group had had regarding the bridge fort, cave-ins and the forbiddance spell, asking them what they think.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Thordrek and Magnum

Thordrek goes with Magnum to talk to the Princes about the jest of their initial plans, about the bridge fort, collapse of the tunnel and the use of the forbiddance spell. The topic of using the summoning of elementals, celestials or even golems comes up as well.

The two Princes look at each other, exchanging a look and the two step away to talk for a moment. Tezster seemed like a great leader and ruler, but he had limited fighting experience. Tasster had a great deal of experience fighting, but not much as an actual commander. As the two talk, it becomes increasingly evident that their elder brother, the late Borlin, was probably the General in the family.

When the two return though, them seem firm enough on what they say, so maybe there was hope?

“We had only gone so far as the idea. The execution there seems much tougher than we had figured” Tezster allows. “I’ve given maps to Johannes, and he should be reviewing them now. Wherever did you find him? The Forbiddance spell seems the most effective way to keep the masses out, and I doubt the enemy has many casters able to remove it. Still, we’re dwarfs and do not put much trust into magic. As much as it pains me, collapse a part of the tunnel. We’ll reopen it ourselves, even if it takes a couple of years, I expect we’ll have help from the other side.

Whatever ye think is best to guard the tunnels physically, I probably support, but I would have the greatest trust in the celestials. Is such a thing truly possibly? We concur about ye leaving the bridge fort alone. What does it gain, if you have a rock fall and magic between you and it? Now as for the sword….”
    Tezster pauses and bites his lip, thinking over if he really wants to say what he had decided on that.

We do need it. Tis why I asked, and I realize it’s a grave risk to do it. T’would be a graver risk to undertake before the attack, and should you die in the attempt, we’ll have no one I can trust to block the tunnels. So, block the tunnels first and take the sword when you’ve recovered. I agree ye need to be at full strength for that. The extra time may even give the enemy more time to react and send troops forward” Tezster says firmly.

“One other thing my brother should say. Magnum, yer a cleric of Clangeddin and a warrior of great experience. What say ye spend some time with Tezster and I, teach us some things about strategy, the logistics o’all this and Clangeddin’s blessing too? We need all the advice we can get fer dis. Not that we cannae lead them, but ye have the formal edujacation on the art of war, not just the art of the battle”
    Last edited by mshady; 2014-07-20 at 10:43 PM.

Heretic's Bane - DM

19. - Top - End - #19

Wyatt

Wyatt shrugs at Thordrek's requests. "I guess I can try and wing 'dat. Dunno about the divining. Maybe if we get a look around and find somethin' we'll have a better idea of what to ask. Something I can use to go invisible with in case we get pinched might be good to have, 'dough, because I am not gettin' caught. Far as taking a captive goes, uh... I can't really make any promises. Orcs are big and I'm... not. Maybe can tie one to Kal or somethin' but it might not be feasible. Don't get your hopes on it in any case."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Magnum

The war priest nodded solemnly to show his agreement twice during the Princes' oration; the first concerning the forbiddance spell and collapsing the tunnel, the second about the sequence of planned events the Jilkers would be enacting. He was a bit surprised by their request to advise and instruct them on matters of war, but the only sign he gave of this was a grunt and a shrug. He glanced at Thordrek, assuming his immediate commander would approve.

After a deep drink of ale he replied, "I'd be honered ta provide ye whatever I've learned in service ta Clangeddin over da years. Tis a right an' proper endeavor fer dwarvenkind, as I see it, an' may even draw da personal attention o'da Father o'Battle. I'll freely grant ye whatever blessin' I can muster, instruct ye in strategies an' tactics based on da abilities o'yer forces, an' do what I can ta help ye understand da sometimes subtle complexities o'command in a war. I need an hour each day ta pray fer spells, an hour or so ta do my part in divinations fer our plans, which leaves us plenty o'time each day fer such instruction."
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Back to the Lodge

After taking the day to wander about and ask some questions, the group returns to their lodging for a few hours to consult with each other.

This would be a good time to share what they have learned, especially Grathalmor.

Heretic's Bane - DM

22. - Top - End - #22

Beholder

Grathalmor spoke up first, expressing what he had seen throughout the day. He spoke mostly to Magnum and Thordrek, as those two would be the ones most likely to share his concerns. "De're not disciplined enough. Dey need more drills, more conditionin' if dey ever hope ta take da halls. I'm not sure if half'd even turn tail an run. Ye' have ta talk ta da princes. Dis lot needs daily physical conditionin', and no ale on breaks. De're not gonna be gettin' ale breaks in battle. An' da militia needs more leadership. Mebbe if dey step up training, some leaders will emerge. Not ta mention dere's not near enough bowmen."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Magnum

"Aye, don't surprise me none. Da princes asked me ta teach 'em about strategy an' logistics an' such. Dey agree dat da Forbiddance spell is a good ploy, an' were very positive about da celestials if possible. Also dey agree dat collapsin' da tunnel beyond da fort is da best idea, an' not attackin' da fort itself from dat side. Dey suggested we do what we could, den rest before takin' ta da vaults in search o'dat sword dey want so badly."

After a moment, he added, "A few days oughta be plenty o'time ta teach 'em what I can. I'll also convince 'em o'da importance o'trainin' da troops, an' plan ta spend da rest o'da time here doin' just dat."

With a stern face, humorless chuckle, and determined voice, the war priest concluded confidently, "It might not be easy, nor well received at first, given how most feel about da Jilkers, but I'll whip 'em into some shape in no time, I assure ye."
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

24. - Top - End - #24

Beholder

"I can pitch in wit' da trainin' and conditionin' too." Grathamor replies.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thordrek

To Wyatt

Use your best judgement, any information you bring back will be valuable, but not as much as you two

Regarding training

I'll leave the training in your capable hands Magnum, if you think I can help in any way don't hesitate. If there aren't any around I'll see if I can't borrow a forge and make some practice weapons for sparring, otherwise I think I'll try to meet up with the heads of the various families and get to know them

26. - Top - End - #26

Wyatt

"Aye," Wyatt responds to Thordrek with his standard two-fingered salute. "I'll try and not get my ass killed out 'dere. And Kal too. Speakin' of which..."

He turns to his new druid friend. Regarding him for a moment... Kal sure did remind him a lot of someone he knew. He smiled a little, before shrugging. "So, looks like it'll be you and me again, Kal. Ol' Thordy wants us to go check stuff out and scout the place. I'm thinkin' maybe if you can change into an animal 'dat's natural to 'dis area... or somethin' 'dat can get around unnoticed, barrin' 'dat... 'dat'll be our best chance. Barrin' 'dat, we can do a fly-over, 'dough I got some worries about 'dat... like the last time."

He shakes his head quickly, throwing off the idea. "Ugh. Hopefully 'dere be no dragons 'dis time around. We'll have to be careful, 'dough - we get caught and 'dat's about it. Pretty sure outside of our crew like Mags and Thordy and alla 'dem, none'a 'dese fancypants are gonna waste resources to save us if we screw up, outside of what it's gonna take to retake the keep... But 'dat's half the fun of bein' a scout. Bein' first in line to see what we're up against."

He frowns a bit, looking serious. "Been through 'dis once before, 'dough... we can do 'dis. The other half of the fun is knowin' 'dat nobody can do what we do with the same amount of skill... so we're gonna show 'em just how valuable we are. Right?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thordrek raises an eyebrow at being called Thordy but says nothing

28. - Top - End - #28

Nalrak

Where some might find the silence awkward, Nalrak finds comfort in it--even peace. For a moment, he almost forgets that he had asked for Dumathoin's ear. However, the utter stillness of the moment reminds him much like a silent hand weighing lightly on his shoulder. "There will be so many wounded," Nalrak whispers. "No matter what we do, so many dead. Guide me in leading their healers, in talking to the Princes, and in sparing as many sons as I can. Where do I begin?"

For a long minute, the good doctor sits in silence and contemplates the plan. From what he can remember of it, it seemed like they had the skeleton of a plan laid out. But Nalrak also knew what they said about the best laid plans of mice and men. He sighs and asks, "Watcher, you have seen all. What are we missing?"
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2014-07-08 at 08:17 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Nalrak

The priest sits alone with his thoughts, both meditating on what to do and hoping for some sort of sign from Dumathion. The room still felt unerringly silent, the presence or attention of Dumathion was still with him. The only sense he seemed to get was that some great presence was thinking of what to show him, and that surprised him. Nalrak decided that his patron must be deciding what he needed to see.

Without warning, he felt an enormous psychic pressure that sent him to the stone floor gasping for breath as a splitting headache debilitated him for a moment. As he lay on the floor, he saw the continual light torches erupt from their soft glow into a blinding blaze as he sat up. He was suddenly not in the temple, or at least his mind was not, he was not sure. Things moved fast from here on out.

He saw a flash of a wide, wedged shaped sword made of a vaguely green hued metal being handed from a proud smith to a great dwarf lord. A High Old One, dressed in the garb of Clangeddin, stood by the anvil, along with a robed human and a stern looking elf. He senses a fierce pride on all of their faces. Next he saw the blade striking down the last orc on a battle field littered with dead orc and cheering dwarfs. Next he saw the blade in a pile of gold and weapons and the face of a dragon looking down at the blade, the bones of the dead surrounding the horde. Next he saw the dragon dead and a dwarf picking up the blade. Next he saw a wounded dwarf, running towards daylight and hewing down orc after orc, but just before he reached the gate and daylight, he was pulled down and slain, a great trail of bodies behind him. Next he saw the blade pulled from the fingers of a dead orc by a Zhentarim soldier. Next he saw several images of orc and men and devils fighting bloody skirmishes, the blade trading hands several times. Next he sees the blade on a great anvil, with a giant striking the hot blade with a massive hammer, shattering it while black clad humans and orcs watch it and each other warily. Next, he sees the fragments of the blade set on a stone dais and locked away in a vault with the scarred sigil of the Iron House of Tethyamar on the door, the Royal Vaults themselves.

The images pause for a moment. What comes next is an image of a disembodied skull with emerald eyes starting into a crystal ball, hovering in the center of a room full of a dozen or more of the balls. Behind the circle of looking glasses, each a different color, is a throne where a headless skeleton sits and is flanked by squat looking soldiers with emeralds in their eyes.

There is another pause, and another scene is revealed of the Patriarch sitting in a lonely room staring into a similar looking ball, his hand moving slowly over its surface as he looks intently into it, his eyes glazed and seemingly deep in thought. The following scene is an unfamiliar figure, a broad chested dwarf in black and gold vestments and wearing a large amulet bearing the sigil of the Unalloyed Church. He too is staring into the murky looking ball.

The images stop and the feeling of an enormous foot on his chest is released, allowing Nalrak to draw a deep, gasping breath. Blood drips from his ears and nose, and a coppery taste fills his mouth. The blazing torches settle down, returning to normal now.

Nalrak stands and tries to find a proper bench to sit on for a moment as he catches his breath, and is left to wonder what that all meant. It appeared that the orcs and zhentarim fought over the sword, and the only way to resolve the fight was to break the blade. What was broken could be reforged, but how? He thought about the images of the forging of it, trying to think of any clue to how it was made.

The rest of what he saw though? That was deeply troubling indeed.

It took him a moment to think past all of that though, before his mind started rummaging through all the lore he had heard in his long life to determine if he had ever heard of signs being presented this way. When he looks down at his lap, he sees several strands of hair and notices a lump of something solid in his mouth. He spits out a bloody tooth into his palm with some horror.

Dumathion did not share his secrets lightly, it seemed.

Heretic's Bane - DM

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Kal-resh and Wyatt

The pair leave the confines of the Brightblade Halls and head outside. Its figuratively and literally a breath of fresh air for them both. They walk a distance away from the Halls, so no one can see Kal-resh’s change to avoid frightening or concerning the dwarfs. As a race, they tended to distrust orcs and magic, and the combination of both, taken unawares, could raise some bushy eyebrows.

The two sit down by an old tree with a map and a compass and try to find the best way in. They had time on their side, for the moment, with the offensive a month away, so they take their time. Wyatt has a sketch book as well, a tool of the scouting trade, so to allow a scout to relay what he sees to his superiors.
    They decide the first order of business is to scout the approach to the Goldhammer Mountain and see how well fortified it really is going to be. As Thordrek instructed, he wanted a prisoner to interrogate for that, and while Wyatt was hardly strong enough to pull that off easily, Kal-resh might. As the sun rises into afternoon, the pair takes off and wing their way towards the long, winding trail between the Brightblades and the Goldhammer Halls. From the air, they have a better idea of their own preparations, as they corkscrew higher into the air. A large tent encampment, flying the banner of the Mithril Legion, sits outside of town. There must be over a hundred tents set up here, and ground is being cleared for more. In the distance, they can see a column of troops marching down a road to the west as well. From an opposite direction, they see someone on a horse off in the distance, probably still a day’s ride away. Carpenters are busy at work constructing the frames of siege equipment, while lumberjacks clear out sections of the forest of choice wood for the siege engineer’s equipment.

Having reached altitude and satisfied their own curiosity, Wyatt nudges Kal-resh towards the mountain and they fly towards it at a modest clip. It is still quite cold, and Kal-resh is glad he hung on to some of his winter gear and goggles to protect his eyes. When they get closer, they can see there is only one real approach from this direction. It is through a lush, green looking valley and they see at least two herds of stags moving about it. As they move closer to the mountain though, they see a fort constructed of lumber sitting in the center of it with a high tower in the center of it. They see greenskins sitting on the walls and in the tower, and what looks like a patrol setting out. Compared to what was coming, it was no match, but it could be an issue. Deeper into the valley, they see two towers sitting on the ridge of both sides of the valley that look over the fort and beyond it, making it hard to take down the fort without it being noticed by the watchers above.

That appeared to be it though. There was no defense in depth here. The winding valley exited into a plain that surrounded that side of the mountain. Much of the fields are planted with wheat or groves of trees, along with some small villages of orcs. From high above, no one seemed to pay them any mind. The orcs below seemed to all be farmers, in simple clothes despite their savage nature. Herds of livestock roam the open area, along with various kinds of poultry, and crowded pens of sheep. With the night approaching, they turn for home to report their findings before it gets too dark. They both remember the dragon attack in the north and keep a sharp eye out. There were no reports of them in the area, but only survivors could report such things.

With Kal-resh exhausted and Wyatt chilled, they turn in for the night and prepare to report what they found to their comrades in the morning at breakfast.

Heretic's Bane - DM