New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5E] Heretic's Bane - Beyond the Dale

Quote Originally Posted by King Tius View Post
    Amethyst

She gestures at the potion brewing setup Magnum has going and nods approvingly. "Quite the little portable set up you brought along! Can you brew us up some hooch in a jiffy? It might be nice to share a drink with a handsome devil such as yourself before we're all ripped to bits by demons, orcs, and presumably demon orcs."
    Magnum shrugs, "I could, but I have something better, ready when desired." He grins as he pulls out a fancy looking bottle, "Patriarch's Ale. Drink as much as you like, the bottle is never empty."

He takes a long drink, then hands the bottle to her as he adds gruffly, "Devils, and devils orcs, not demons. Some might not even know the difference, or care. But they are distinctly different, and its an important difference to me."

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Camp Fire Tales

“Can I rest a bit here before you push off? Or maybe on the way if you somehow found a boat in this rubble? Put my feet up? I could use a couple hours, at the least. Maybe better to move sooner than later though. I think there be a little more urgency now. I cannae believe that damned orc double crossed us like that though. He seemed angry so I nay know what happened, what provoked him after the deal. He took on Morna though. Morna! If he only knew what he got himself into. Maybe she killed the bastard and we have nothing to worry about” she shakes her head before sending a sideways glance at the shaman and Kal-resh.

“I guess he wanted a hostage of his own since we have his shaman? I… I don’t know what was going on in his head”

Thordek listens and thinks about his warning to the orc that the next time they met, one of them would not be walking away. Could this have been the plan all along, or had his words provoked the action?
    Magnum shares his never ending bottle of Patriarch ale with Valina. He had noticed her wincing and cracked lips, so he asks, "Are ye hurt? Want some healin'? Do ye need a weapon?"

He had nothing to say about her tale, though he had paid close attention to every word she spoke. He looks over at Kal-Resh and the shaman for a long moment, then shrugs, "We were about to leave very soon, the sooner the better. But ye should be able to rest a bit in the boat."

Having been one of those in the group that had taken the boats over the underground river after the Stoneburner mission, the war priest was not new to river travel. But that journey stood out in his mind as one of the hardest he had ever endured. Though not afraid, he held several reservations about traveling in a boat.

"So did we ever decide whether we're gonna collapse that bridge or block another tunnel to bottle up the reinforcements?"
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-03-20 at 09:03 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

2. - Top - End - #572
    Troll in the Playground

Sabine listens to Valina's tale with a dark, cold fury that threatens to overcome her thoughts. Was she surprised? No. Of course she'd seen treachery coming. She simply thought the bastard Jhergesh would wait until his erstwhile allies already had his prize in-hand and were left unable to escape.

That she had fully intended to escape anyway and kill him in front of his people as he declared victory had kept a little skip in her step during the entire hike.

Apparently his orc blood made him impatient. And he'd struck at her personally. She looked around at the other worried and angry faces among her friends and briefly worried she was making this all about herself, but it was her brother, so of course she was taking it personally. She looked over at Kal and the crone. Had they heard? Did they know beforehand? Did they care, and did they now expect to survive this?

"Thordrek," she says quietly away from the orcs, "this ... acquiescence to political expediencies had better not have cost me my brother. We were ready to attack - he could have died in battle. Died for something. I can't tell my niece he was sacrificed for a terrible bargain.

"Valina, I'm glad you made it and told us."
    But she certainly doesn't sound happy. There are many other things she'd like to say, but where to even start? Are our allies aware of this? Was Jhergesh counting on us not learning of the betrayal until it was too late? Well, yes, that seems most likely. So how was he going to benefit - what further concession was he going to demand? And how far did the betrayal go? She voices these questions to others hoping at least for them to share her concerns, if not come up with answers.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thordrek

Thordrek had never been one to shy away from personal danger. In the last few months alone he had faced orcs, ogres, giants, the undead, other dwarves and even traded blows with a dragon, and while he did not take joy from combat he was good at it and perfectly willing to risk life and limb for a good cause. In short, nothing had ever caused him to think himself a coward. Now though, the sheer weight his command placed on his every decision was challenging that self image. He still thought the deal he had struck with Jregash was the right call, and none of the others had objected strenuously, but look at the consequences! The maniacal orc prince had done all he could in what he could only assume was a sadistic attempt to make him and his break their words, slaughtering helpless slaves, attacking their allies, and now maybe killing Sabine's brother, apparently because he had vocalized his sheer hatred for the monster. If this was the possible impact of a few parting words from him now, how long before he was paralyzed by fear and indecision?

He was still reeling from it all when Sabine came to him. He looked up at her, good judge of character that she was she could see something break in him when she mentioned her niece. The pride and slight cockiness he had carried with him since his promotion was nowhere to be seen. He simply, quietly, replied to her

I.... I hope so as well. And if not, poor excuse as it might be I'll pay for her care myself, as well as the families of the men lost in that ambush.

He then made his way to where Kal'resh and the orc Shaman were waiting slightly apart from the others but assuredly still aware of what Valine had just told them, with his helm on to hide his face and keeping his anger bottled down by a colossal effort of will.

I hope you're still happy with your choices Kal, because many others were just killed by that psychopathic ******* you call prince after he tortured you for days. And you, witch, I'm sure you can communicate with him, so tell him message received but it was unnecessary, I'll play nice until our deal is completed. My word is worth more to me than the satisfaction I'd get from gutting him and hanging his head over my fireplace, so assuming we succeed he'll sit on his father's still-warm throne with you whispering in his ear until the next time we clash, whenever that may be.

Without waiting for either of them to reply he got back to the main campfire and sat there, staring at the flames, until someone talked to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

The shaman rises from her cross-legged sitting position as Baron Thordrek approaches with the help of her staff to aid her balance. Kal-resh makes a move to assist her, but a flick of her eyes warn him away. The eye sockets of the staff glow an emerald green, a color often associated with necromancy, as Thordrek addresses her. She glowers at him as her speaks roughly to her in common, the only language they share although her understanding of it takes a moment. She squints at him before he has a chance to storm off dramatically.

“Words have consequences, dwarf. Youz say yer word dis worth more dan satisfaction, but as you leave you challenge him to death fight when seen next. After you bargain agreed safe passage once work done. You an odd dwarf be, making bargains and breaking them in same day. Maybe not Tethyamar dwarfs different? You say thing and tell me now you not mean it because Prince take hostage? Maybe you would have still meant it if he did not? Who can tell with an oathbreaker?

Me? I see smart Prince who deal with threat by taking what you value. If this how you lead, maybe should have other one lead? Very hard job need leader who thinks first. Ask old priest with axe, he do better. You go now!”
    she says to Thordrek and angrily shakes her staff at him. The feather fetishes shake about as she does so.

She turns her back to Thordrek and sits down again, ignoring whatever his response is. The shaman regards Kal-resh across the fire, relaxing on her bed roll. In orcish, in which she is fluent, she speaks to Kal-resh much more easily.

“That lordling dwarf is an arrogant one. How did you stand him? Too easy to rile up. Almost enjoyed that, the fool” she says, shaking his head. “The dwarf made a bargain that our people would let them leave safely, if I survived this. My son knows this is dangerous and I may not live even if they try. If I die, it will be up to you to tell the tale and in your hands in their life and death. Yet look how they treat you? He will try to kill us with slightest provocation. You see that, yes?

Why is this dwarf surprised? He threatened a Prince in front of his horde and thinks that will be ignored? So Jreghash took a hostage so the dwarf will not fight him when they return. See how quick he changed his oath breaking ways? The Prince was wise here in his actions, I only hope it did not cost too many orc lives in the doing. New to our ways you are though, so if the dwarf’s words trouble you or the Prince’s concern you, ask. I would cure your mind of doubt before I trust you with my life. You are one of us, they would never let you be one of them. Trust in that”

"This all came as a surprise to me, Kal-resh. A justified one, but still a surprise."
    "Clerics: Just because they heal you, it doesn't mean they like you."

Heretic's Bane - DM

IC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Icewind Dale (and beyond)[/URL]

OOC Forum: Heretic's Bane - OOC Group

Heretic's Bane Wiki - http://hereticsbane.wikispaces.com/

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Kal had been following along, lopping in his canine form alongside the party as they entered the under dark, and this underground port.

It all seemed weird and strange, but nothing he had not see before, when they first found him, and he helped them…when…he had forged a friendship.

Kal frowned, or whatever dogs do for frowning, thinking, recalling things…had become hard, he much preferred to ignore them, to be int he moment, just as he used to be before….all of this happened to him.

He was so confused, but not when he lived, not when he was flying or climbing, or ….anything else really.

He curled up in the dirt where shaman conjured up a fire without little effort after he had gathered some wood from the area. They sat off to the side, there was no way he, or the shaman would be welcomed, unless in the direst of circumstances. He wanted to move, to run, fly, whatever, just not stay still. But he knew the others needed it. He watched with keen eyes as Amethyst fixed the ship, and her creations helped her. What marvelous things she could do! It amazed him even more, the dwarves penchant for creativity in creation was stunning, and Kal found his love for the dwarves stirring within him as he watched.

Frowning again, he turned to regard the footfalls he heard along with the rest of the group, he almost had shifted into another form, before Valina stumbled in, and regaled them with her story. He frowned, again and watched with muted eyes as Baron Thordrek approached them, he could see the anger in his eyes, holding his helm to the side, as if that was the only action keeping him from flying into a rage and attacking them both here and now.

The prince had betrayed them! But, was that really surprising? They had a deal yes, but did that deal preclude him from doing as he had done? Kal thought through it all, and found him thinking not. The actions of the prince, as the Shaman said, were, surprising, but not altogether. They almost seemed…wise.

He specifically had not included anything like it in the dealings with the dwarves, and so, through careful manipulation, and then the threatening by the Baron, had maneuvered this. Perhaps he had been planning it all along? It was definitely something Kal thought the Prince was capable off. But Thordrek had challenged him in front his troops, as the She-devil had said…Kal didn’t know what to think, not for the first time that day.

Kal nodded to the shaman “I am not surprised he did this, it…smells of him.” He said simply. “But perhaps you should let me talk to them in the future, they hate me yes, but less so than they hate you.” He wanted to say more, ask why she had done things, why she was down here, why, why, why. But he saw only futility, everyone thought him a simple pawn, a simpleton to be maneuvered in their ever lasting game. Perhaps one day, he could prove otherwise.

He closed his eyes and rolled over, ignoring the shaman, and closed out the rest of the world.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gryndel View Post
    Magnum shrugs, "I could, but I have something better, ready when desired." He grins as he pulls out a fancy looking bottle, "Patriarch's Ale. Drink as much as you like, the bottle is never empty."

He takes a long drink, then hands the bottle to her as he adds gruffly, "Devils, and devils orcs, not demons. Some might not even know the difference, or care. But they are distinctly different, and its an important difference to me."
    Amethyst accepts the offered bottle and takes several deep and unceremonious gulps, gasping a bit as she finishes. "Not bad! Could use more hops if you ask me, but I like a good punch in the mouth." She corks the bottle and flips it over to have a look at the bottom. "Did I make this? It's been an age since I was working on stuff this small, but you never know!" She shakes her head and takes another big gulp before handing the bottle back. "Looks like this wasn't me. Probably why it's still working." She chuckles at herself and flops back to a prone position.

"So did we ever decide whether we're gonna collapse that bridge or block another tunnel to bottle up the reinforcements?"
    Amethyst sits up and starts ticking off items on her fingers. "I made ten Scrolls of Transmute Rock to Mud and four each of Teleport and Dismissal. Got a wand of Dimensional Anchor for the ones we don't want getting away, too."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

7. - Top - End - #577
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Amethyst sits up and starts ticking off items on her fingers. "I made ten Scrolls of Transmute Rock to Mud and four each of Teleport and Dismissal. Got a wand of Dimensional Anchor for the ones we don't want getting away, too."
    Grathalmor pipes up after this, and says "Rock ta mud might be da way ta go. Just hit da supports o' da bridge and it should come right down. And we woudn't hafta climb up ta take out da guards."
    Last edited by Grodech; 2017-03-21 at 03:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Troll in the Playground

Magnum shrugs and grins, "Maybe ye oughta pass some of those out to those who can use 'em. Not good to have all our resources in one vault. Are all those scrolls arcane in nature?"

Looking around at the others he opines, "I'm still in favor of leaving the bridge intact, and closing off a critical tunnel to block orcish reinforcements. Even if less permanent, it will cause enough delay to make a huge difference in battle, and we preserve the bridge for future dwarven use. But I'll offer no further argument against destroying the bridge if that's the consensus here."

He gins at Thordrek, "I'm reluctant to lay this on yer already burdened shoulders, my friend, but this might be another decision for ye, esteemed Baron. Each day that passes adds to my happiness that the Patriarch decided ye oughta hold that mantle of responsibility. But know that I'm always here to support ye."
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thordrek

Thordrek flashed Magnum a sour smile

And some days I wish it had been otherwise, but we play the hand we are dealt, not the one we would have wanted right?

He continued louder for the benefit of all of the group

I am growing tired of destroying pieces of our history to save our future. If it's unavoidable I understand but in this case... The orcs have magic users, I'm sure they could figure out a way to cross a river with not much more effort than clearing a tunnel or two.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Grathalmor gives a confused look. That didn't sound like a firm answer to him. "So yer sayin' either one is a futile effort?"
    Last edited by Grodech; 2017-04-12 at 12:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thordrek

Not futile exactly but neither are a permanent solution. If we collapse a tunnel they need to either organize a work gang to clear it or get someone to cast a few stone to mud spells on it, which is probably not going to be something very common in the orc forces. If we break the bridge a work gang won't be able to fix it easily and you'd need a stronger magic user to replace it, although I can't quite think of how you'd do it off the top of my head,
    Amethyst could give a better answer there. But in both cases they are delayed by a good while but not stopped.
    Last edited by thorgrim29; 2017-04-12 at 03:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

Magnum shrugs and grins, "Maybe ye oughta pass some of those out to those who can use 'em. Not good to have all our resources in one vault. Are all those scrolls arcane in nature?"
    "They're all Arcane, darlin', as that's what I'm used to. Shoot, I wish I'd thought of that when I was writing them! Good idea though. Come and get 'em, folks. Whoever can wiggle their fingers reasonably well, take two and pass it along." She offers up her stack of scrolls to anyone who will take some.

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Amethyst could give a better answer there. But in both cases they are delayed by a good while but not stopped.[/COLOR]
    "All things being equal, the bridge will be the better call, but we won't know for sure until we can get a good look at it. Who knows what kind of reinforcements and magical protections it might have to prevent us from knocking out the keystones. The tunnel will be the safer bet, but I think it's worth checking out the bridge if we can get there."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide