New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5E] Heretic's Bane - Beyond the Dale

Wyatt

Wyatt gives 'Sabine' a thumbs-up with a smile. "Yeah! I can do 'dat. You haven't really missed all 'dat much 'dat's important to be honest, but I can tell ya about my crazy adventures. Oh, and you gotta meet Kal." He gestures a thumb to Kal-Resh. "'dat's him over 'dere. He's a druid of sorts. He's a great guy. Simple. Reminds me of someone I used to work with a lot, in a good way. You know, funny you show up now - Thordy's been askin' me about tryin' to take a prisoner from the camp. Unfortunately 'dat just ain't my thing, but I think we'd be able to pull it off with your help. Maybe. Draggin' someone all the way back here without getting noticed sounds like it'd be too hard, unless I can shove him in a bag of holding or something long enough to get clear, which I don't really have..."

He finds a place to sit, looking up at her. "Anyway. Nah. I'm more interested in, well, what happened after everything. ... Buehler told me you were dead. I pestered him about it for days. In a sense, if what you say is true, about yourself, well, he was both right and wrong. I ain't sure how I oughta feel about 'dat..."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

New Arrivals

The group heads out of the Brightblade Halls and to the edge of Anthar’s Dell to a field. The day is hot and cicadas hum in the background as the group walks. When they find the right place to satisfy whatever Valina was looking for in a location, they start to set up. The group uses some specially prepared paint to draw a circle on the dirt. Runes are painted around it and Valina sets a pulsing crystal in the center of the circle. While no one besides Valina is sure what the crystal is for example, they do know the circle is very, very large. The group waits for the better part of an hour, conversing about whatever comes to mind. They are all still getting used to having Sabine still in the group again, or the first time, depending on how you wanted to count things.

Without any warning, the circle lights up with a “whoosh” and a transparent cylinder of energy surrounds the spell circle. Crackling sparks of white and blue energy swirl inside the cylinder of magic for a few seconds before there is an ear-splitting crack. The cylinder disappears in that moment and a cloud of gray smoke billows out of the spell circle.

Inside the circle, they see several crates stacked around the circle, as well as dozens of dwarfs standing there, along with some minotaurs. Standing in front of the group is the Arcanii Primus herself, Glorian Silvernail. She is wearing her polished armor and her steel blue hair is raised in a kind porcupine look held up by a headband adorned with magic runes. An ornate staff is in one hand and a heavy waraxe in her other. She looks around at the spell circle and shakes her head before looking at Valina.

“It looks like you had some drunk children paint that spell circle. Please tell me that wasn’t you, Valina, and I’ll consider myself surprised” she grunts. “I’ll not bother with staying long” she adds, to the relief of everyone. Next, she turns gaze to Sabine and she smiles slowly at her.
    “Oh, it’s you” she says and walks out of the circle towards Sabine. She puts her axe on a belt hook and stands in front of Sabine. She touches Sabine’s chin, turning her head left to right as she looks her over.

“Impressive. When I heard you survived a teleport that close to the Stoneburner, I have to admit to being surprised. That you fell out the sky, burning like a meteor and screaming all the way through some village idiot’s roof in Hundlestone. Quite the experiment, I thank ye for that. I’m surprised you still look so pretty, child. Buehler vouchsafed for you, but I never could trust a mercenary. I respect talent though, and I suppose I could be wrong about someone” she says with a smirk, clearly she was not one who was often, or used, to be wrong.

She turns away from Sabine and heads back to the circle with a slight limp in her step. Once she is inside it, she turns back to the group.

“I’ll be returning home now. We’re all watching how this goes, Valina. You wanted all this, taking pity on these Tethyamar. You only get this much help because you’re everyone else’s favorite little pet. I’m surprised that someone who knows our history so well would care for the fate of the Tethyamar, considering their provocations. Since we’re all holding hands though now, according to the Patriarch in his infinite wisdom, I wish you the best of luck. Should this whole endeavor fail though, come crying and I’ll come get you” she says and smiles at her. The two women glare at each other. Glorian looks amused, but Valina’s expression is the kind of one someone has as they contemplate murder.

“It’s been fun twisting your tit before lunch, but I’ll be going now Valina. Good luck on your Crusade. If it all fails, the Princes know the cost of involving us further. Having them as our vassals is almost too ironic” she says and bows.

Glorian pauses dramatically, holds her hand above her head and snaps her fingers, disappearing in a flash of light and sound.

What is left is a widely varied assortment.

A dozen armored minotaurs stand, heavy packs on their backs and massive weapons in their hands. Thordrek recognizes one of them. It’s Gore, one of their minotaur companions from their previous trip that seemed to want to kill Thordrek. The pack Gore is carrying is very familiar. It was the same kind one used for a Stoneburner. Another ten dwarves stand with heavy armor with tanks on their backs and a heavy barreled weapon in their hands. These were the firedrakes of the Patriarchate, but they were wearing the colors of the Iron House of Tethyamar. Several crates of weapons lay around, containing masterwork hammers and axes, with one in ten being enhanced. One of the boxes also contained 20 single shot pistols and plenty of powder and lead. A smaller box contains all the spell components they would need for summoning and a forbiddance spell. Ten more of them were members of the Forgemark’s Rangers, and they were wearing camouflage with Iron House markings as well. Towards the back, there are two ten barreled organ guns as well, complete with their crews. Considering the rarity of them, the weapons showed more favor than anything else there. There were only a dozen of them in the entire Patriarchate, and they were the pride of their forces. There is also a familiar figure as well, Carmard Grindstaff, with a metal leg in place of the one he lost. He waves to the group he used to command.

Next to him is another dwarf, with an animated ‘thing’ next to her.

Enter King Tius!

OOC: This will probably be my last big post for a week or so, travelling, but I'll respond as I can!
    Last edited by mshady; 2014-08-01 at 08:06 AM.
    "Clerics: Just because they heal you, it doesn't mean they like you."

Heretic's Bane - DM

IC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Icewind Dale (and beyond)[/URL]

OOC Forum: Heretic's Bane - OOC Group

Heretic's Bane Wiki - http://hereticsbane.wikispaces.com/

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Having forgotten Wyatt’s careless banter, Sabine can’t help but grin and relax next to her old scouting teammate. She mentally attaches the name Kal-Resh to the hulking half-orc she’d noted with some surprise earlier. Unfortunately, her knowledge of the magics of nature is severely limited, and decides she’ll have to speak with him – it wouldn’t do to not know his capabilities in the heart of battle. Given the chance she introduces herself very briefly, adding with a lopsided smirk, “Any friend of Wyatt’s is someone I may possibly come to trust one day.”

But when Wyatt asks about her travels, she once again brushes it aside as largely unimportant. “How should you feel about what, exactly? About an ally returning to your side, or about Buehler’s overall lack of trustworthiness? I think you just have to accept he’s a crafty opportunist whose larger goals make us as individuals irrelevant. Or at least useful but expendable. Me? I’m here and ready to fight. Do you really need more than that?” Her inflection indicates she's willing to talk more, though she's not entirely happy about it.

Later, following their impressive display of teleportation magic, Sabine takes silent account of the incoming soldiers and the surprising gear they brought along. Not only crates of high-quality and enchanted weaponry, but quite an advanced arsenal as well. She’s looking over the massive, rippling minotaurs when she realizes Glorian is mere steps away. Not about to threaten the powerful woman when she’s at the least an ally of convenience, she takes the elder’s treatment with muted hostility. When Glorian describes her and Buehler’s “escape” for all to hear, she curls her fists and hopes embarrassment will stave off painful memories and anger. She doesn't correct the dwarf or lash out. She’s better than that. She doesn’t allow the resentment to overcome her …

Which is just as well, because seeing Glorian and Valina’s exchange is almost worth it. Valina is everyone’s favorite pet? What goes around comes around, Sabine supposes. She catches Valina’s eye and silently wonders where resentment can become sympathy.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thordrek

Thordrek is clearly not completely happy with Valina's answer, but nevertheless accepts it

All right, the idealist in me doesn't like all the secrecy, but I understand your reasoning and I've got no reason to doubt your or the Patriarch's word... I guess that what being in command actually means in terms of responsibility is sinking in. No wonder Carmard always looked so stressed.

He finishes with a wry smile

at the clearing

After Glorian leaves like the area was beneath her, Thordrek quips

It's nice to know that no matter what, somebody out there is always going to consider me a brainless peon not worth the energy of noticing. Gives me a sense of stability

He moves to greet Carmard, eyeing the unknown dwarf and her construct on the way, studiously avoiding looking at Gore and his ominous package

Good to see you up and about Arcani, have they started calling you Carmard Ironshank yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Magnum

“I appreciate dat Sabine. We’re o’da same mind on da enemy composition, an’ yer aid’ll likely save some lives later. While I’m also curious about da detail o’yer recent past, I’ll not add ta da questions about it. If’n ye recall, I was amongst a few who left ta take da river passage ‘ere dat damn stoneburner was set off. So all of what I know was what was told ta me since. Someday, when we have less pressin’ concerns, I’d truly enjoy hearin’ more about yer lil adventure. But fer now I’m more’n happy ta let sleepin’ dragons lie.”

Magnum chuckled a bit about that last sentence, then sighed and grumbled, “I’m never gonna get used ta havin’ my questions ignored, but I suppose no answer from Valina or Buna means we’re all expected ta be at dis big teleportin’ party later. No doubt whatever, or whoever, is brought in’ll likely require my attention, so I’m gonna leave da troops ta demselves today. Dey been workin’ hard fer weeks, even if it took ‘em a week or so ta get motivated enuf fer it, so maybe dey deserve a day off. Yer welcome ta come along if ye like, but no need if’n ye got udder stuff ta do.”

With that, the war priest smiled at Sabine and changed direction to head to the training field. Once there he announced to the officers that he was moderately pleased with the degree of success the training had shown so far. While constant training was, in his view, a necessity for troops about to enter a major battle, he knew eventually that any spirit they had built up could easily be dashed if driven too far without a small break. So he insisted that right after their daily exercises and running, all the troops be given the day off. He suggested that the officers host a large party and invite all soldiers to attend, though he stressed that it should not be mandatory. Ending with a dire warning to any who failed to show up the following day, he dismissed them with one of his rare and fierce smiles.

After donning all his gear, he joined the group to go meet Glorian and the band. The heat didn’t bother him in the least, having prepared and cast endure elements to stave off the effects. While they waited he made a point of introducing Kal-Resh to Sabine, though he was quite sure that by then Wyatt had seen to that. He reiterated the importance of the scouting mission, and in particular of capturing someone who would have at least some knowledge that would prove useful to their war efforts. He emphasized that he had asked Sabine to help, and encouraged Kal-Resh and Wyatt to enlist her assistance in this endeavor.

When Glorian arrived, Magnum’s attention focused mostly on what she brought along. The weapons and armor he would inspect himself, and help decide where best to employ them. He was glad to see some of the flamethrower troops and heavy weapons, noting them all and thinking through tactics for their best use to mention at his next sessions with the Princes.

Remembering Gore with more fondness than most dwarves might, he walked over to greet the minotaur, “Well Gore, not sure if’n ye remember me, but I certainly remember ye. Welcome ta ye an’ yers. Tell me, what ye be packin’ dis time?”

With a friendly wave at Carmard, the war priest approached him, “Well met Carmard, so good ta see ye up an’ about! I’m a bit surprised ta see ye here, very happy about it, but still surprised.” Chuckling at Thordrek’s joke about his name, he asked seriously, “How’s dat artificial limb workin’ out fer ye?”

Looking over da equipment brought Magnum to the unknown dwarf and her animated thing. He nodded his head to her and said, “Greetings, I'm Magnum. Welcome ta ye.” He walked slowly around the construct, assessing what he could about it as he added, “Dis be da golem we asked fer? Its under yer control, I presume? We’ll need ta be briefed on its capabilities and weaknesses, an’ yers o’course, but later is more appropriate fer dat.”
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2014-08-03 at 01:43 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

6. - Top - End - #66

Wyatt

Wyatt shrugs at Sabine's response. "Eh... fair point. Sorry 'bout 'dat. I kinda get carried away sometimes y'know? It's just... been a while. But boy am I glad you're here! I can't wait to see what ridiculous nonsense schemes we come up with to ruin the enemy's day 'dis time around."

Upon Glorian's arrival and departure, Wyatt is silent. He frowns a bit at Glorian's observation of Sabine. It occurs to him that they've never exchanged words - something he likely preferred. Something about her put him off, likely her snobby authoritative nature, but he shrugged. What could he say? He resorted to his usual stance of not being taken seriously due to being a non-dwarf, and left it at that.

He gives a brief salute to Carmard. This guy... if it weren't for Carmard's direction, Wyatt might not be here right now. He had a lot of respect for him that wasn't outwardly evident, save for the salute and some other subtle gestures.

He marveled at the new cavalry and weapons that came with her. "Y'know, I would guess I would never get a chance to gander at anything like 'dis were I not a part of 'dis crew..." He looked upon the unknown dwarf, and the supposed construct, pointing casually. "And 'dat's a... uh... hmm. What is it?"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Kal-Resh nodded to the new woman, and if Wyatt was happy about her return, then so would he. He greeted her with a big toothy grin, shaking her hand if offered, rather vigorously.

"Any friend of Wyatts, is Kal's too!" he exclaimed wildly.

As they walked, he joined in with Wyatt relayed what adventures they had been on together, saying a word here or there, showing his excitement at actually being in the story himself, or maybe it was that someone else was telling it, hard to tell. He walked behind them and lent in now and then, adding his own word to the stories.

He stood quietly watching the circle being prepared, but quickly, almost reflexively, shifted into a dog and hid when it was obvious magic was at hand, the transparent sphere of energy surprised him, and his hackles were raised, he began to growl, and kept it going, albeit a little lower so that only those around him could hear, when the female dwarf came out to look at his new friend, he crept slowly towards Wyatt's side, hackles still raised, his teeth were bared slightly, as if he couldn't figure out if he should attack or watch, as his friends have.

As the others speak as if everything is ok, his hackles drop, and his tongue begins to loll out of his mouth, he even creeps up to strange construct and gives it a good sniff, not used to the scent.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

The newcomers are a middle-aged dwarven woman and a Large-sized suit of mithral armor. The woman has gray streaks in her hair and warm looking, grandmotherly eyes. Standing on her shoulders are what appear to be two animated crossbows. The fronts of the crossbows have been stylized as bird heads and they twist and look around as they flap and flex their bows like bird wings. One has a distinctly blue tint to it while the other is red. They chitter and posture at anyone who gets too close to the woman, causing her to coo at them as they puff themselves up indignantly. In response to Wyatt, the woman pulls a rag out of her back pocket and begins to wipe her hands with it.

"Oh that? That's my heavy lifter. He's not a golem-proper, but don't let him hear you say that! I fashioned him after some fancy giant armor we had lying around the shop. I recast it in mithral so he's tougher than a hag's udder, but I haven't quite figured out the magical resistances yet. I hear there's a tunnel that needs collapsing?" She finishes wiping off her hands and offers one in a firm handshake to Wyatt. "Amethyst Silverhammer, Journeywoman Golemcrafter at your service."
    Last edited by King Tius; 2014-08-05 at 11:56 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

9. - Top - End - #69

Wyatt

Wyatt raised an eyebrow. It dawns on him that this is the first time someone greeted him first. He shook the hand of the dwarven woman, regardless. "Sounds about right. Name's Wyatt Akturus - I'm part of the scoutin' party of 'dis team. Nice to meetcha. Nice gear, in 'dat 'dere fella too... hmm... Silverhammer... I know I hearda 'dat surname somewhere... anyway, all the help we can get, we're gonna need it."

10. - Top - End - #70

Beholder

Grathalmor stays with Buna during the trek out to the field, and during Glorian's visit. He kept still and kept his mouth shut.

Once Glorian was gone, however, he moved forward, greeting the newcomers and moving with Magnum to have a look at what they brought with them. Finally, he greets Carmard. He was happy to see the wizard up and about. He was still a little embarrassed that he had let Carmard get into a situation that allowed him to lose the leg in the first place, but he was glad the wizard was here to help. "No more crutches, eh?" he says to Carmard, clapping him on the back "Glad ya could make it." He turns to Amethyst and says "Grathalmor Ironfist, at yer service. Fer a minute 'dere, I thought mebbe ya was Carmard's new sworn shield - ha!" He turns back to Carmard "Speaking of, why didn' ya' bring one with ya? I can't keep an eye on da both of ya at once."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nalrak Ironfist

The most shabbily dressed of the group steps forward. While the others seem like heroes of renown, this man seems like a beggar who has somehow slipped through the gates. Even still, he carries himself with the confidence and poise of the others. "Nalrak Ironfist," he says with a nod. "Physician to all and cousin of Grathalmor. Welcome to you all. And don't worry, cousin, I can keep an eye on Carmard." He eyed up the metal leg--clearly an impressive contraption, but one that would require routine examination to be sure it wasn't affecting Carmard's health.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Amethyst chuckles at Grath's joke as she nods and shakes the cousins' hands. "It's been an age and a day since I've been out in the field, but back when I was a lass I would have jumped at the chance to guard a senior Arcanii. Don't you worry though. I may not be as young and pretty as the barmaids, but I still have a trick or two up my sleeves."

Turning back to Magnum, her smile disappears as she tries to get serious. "Aye, he's under my command. Built him myself and with me own funds to boot. We didn't have a proper golem about to fill yer request and old clunky here was just gathering dust in the corner of my shop so I volunteered our services. Besides, I could use a breath of fresh air after tinkering away all these years. Haven't had this many men paying me mind since I started putting my hair in pigtails nigh on seventy years ago!" She laughs at her own joke, her cheeks rosy as she flushes with embarrassment at the scene she's causing.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grodech View Post
    Grathalmor stays with Buna during the trek out to the field, and during Glorian's visit. He kept still and kept his mouth shut.

Once Glorian was gone, however, he moved forward, greeting the newcomers and moving with Magnum to have a look at what they brought with them. Finally, he greets Carmard. He was happy to see the wizard up and about. He was still a little embarrassed that he had let Carmard get into a situation that allowed him to lose the leg in the first place, but he was glad the wizard was here to help. "No more crutches, eh?" he says to Carmard, clapping him on the back "Glad ya could make it." He turns to Amethyst and says "Grathalmor Ironfist, at yer service. Fer a minute 'dere, I thought mebbe ya was Carmard's new sworn shield - ha!" He turns back to Carmard "Speaking of, why didn' ya' bring one with ya? I can't keep an eye on da both of ya at once."
    Carmard looks at Grathalmor and Nalrak and smiles calmly at them, waiting a moment before saying something. He spares a glance at the rest of them, looking at his old team with equal parts pride and sadness. His even smiles slightly at Thordrek's nick name.

"Ironshank has a certain ring to it, although it is quite a bit more to it than iron" he says and raps his leg with his gauntlet. "Quite a bit more, but not enough. Amethyst is not my Sworn Shield as I no longer require one. My injuries encouraged me to retire from the Order of the Arcanii. Now I serve the Patriarchate as advisor for operations such as this, oversee our commitment, provide advice and, apparently deliver packages. We'll see to that later" he smiles slightly and gestures towards Sabine.

"As you noticed, some of the minotaurs of the Turrock Herd are here. So ye know, they're here to protect our cannons and that's the extent of it. If ye've never seen our organ's played, they can carry quite the note. Otherwise, everything is here to support the Tethyamar. Now if they could support us with some draft horses to get all this to their Halls, it would be appreciated. We'll talk later before I speak with the Prince" Carmard says.

The former Arcanii turns and limps towards some of the soldiers and starts calling out orders, telling people what to do but not barking anything. As the troops start moving about, hauling equipment towards the road to await for pickup, while the party takes an inventory of it.

As they are doing that, Carmard picks up the twinkling green gem that Valina had placed in the center of the spell circle and he puts it into his bulging satchel. A long, leather case is part of the personal effects that Carmard has as well. It has a lock between the two zippers.
    Last edited by mshady; 2014-08-16 at 09:01 PM.

Heretic's Bane - DM

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

The party completes the inventory of equipment and assistance that has arrived in a variety of crates and barrels. The other dwarves that arrived help with the crates as well, making it hard but short work to move everything to the road. Wyatt and Kal-resh are sent back to town to organize some transportation. A few hours later, a convoy of draft horses and wagons to take everything back to town. By the time everything has been loaded, hauled back and stowed, it is evening and the group turns in for the night after some hardy dinner and beer.

Carmard “Ironshank” Grindstaff

12 x Minotaurs
    1 x Tombstone
    2 x Organ Guns + 8 crew + 1 engineer with ammo for 1600 shots
    10 x Firedrake Heavy Infantry
    10 Forgemark Rangers
    8 crates dwarven MW waraxes (64 weapons, 6 of them coldsteel)
    8 crates MW warhammers (64 weapons, 6 of them coldsteel)
    4 crates MW short swords/hand axes (64 short swords, 64 hand axes, 12 of them coldsteel)
    Spell components for 2 forbiddance spells
    1 crates pistols (20 mw two shot pistols)
    2 crates ammo and powder (2000 shots)
    100 doses of silversheen (converts weapons to alchemical silver)
    100 MW sets of MW banded mail
    10 MW sets of full plate armor

40 x Repeating Crossbows + 2000 bolts
    4 rods of endless water
    4 x devil bane waraxes +1 and bane effect.

Heretic's Bane - DM

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

The Next Day

The group retires for the evening after a hard day’s work. Tomorrow, the plan was to send out Sabine, Wyatt and Kal-resh out to try to capture some prisoners for interrogation, as they were about 2 weeks out. There was some flexibility with the exact date, but the two Princes very much wanted to go as soon as they were ready. The political will he had long cultivated to get them to this moment was already starting show it’s first signs of fraying. The other Clans that made up the militia particularly did not uniformly appreciate the hard training they were receiving or some of the injuries received during it. The fact the training was needed or the injuries were all tended was immaterial, as the training had caused a deep wound to something else. Pride. The Princes accepted it as necessary, but there had been complaints Magnum and the rest were told to ignore for now. There was an undercurrent though, and it had to do with who was giving the training, so the training was slated to continue. That night, Nalrak finds himself haunted by dreams again, ones that are exceptionally vivid.

Spoiler: Nalrak's Dream
    Show
    In the dreams, he sees a group of dwarfs just as they blast a door off the hinges and run into a throne room. A muscular dwarf wearing ornate, religious looking robes and a towering hat with several gems sits on a throne. Several young children are clustered in front of them, and Gemma, the sister of Glorian Silvernail stands ready to protect the throne. As the guards and the invaders fight, Nalrak sees Glorian, Buehler and the Patriarch himself, Hignar, walk in and unless powerful magic. The room erupts in flame and magic as the two groups exchange magical assaults. Within a minute of the hellish dream, Gemma is dragging a wounded Mettetal from the throne room and one of the children out an escape door. Small charred corpses of children lay at the foot of the throne. Nalrak watches the Patriarch step through the ashes and charred remains at sit down on the throne, fire still burning and the screams of the wounded haunting the chamber. The Patriarch looks around the room and with a slight gesture of his finger orders Buehler and Glorian to execute the wounded. The sound of the sudden silence causes Nalrak to wake up, sweat rolling from his forehead. The vision seemed glaring at odds with what the tale the Patriarch had told them all over dinner months ago, in which he claimed things had been much more peaceful and he had been the rightful ruler trying to reclaim his Kingdom and failing. This looked far bloodier and far more successful than the tale he had been told, and the Patriarch seemed profoundly more powerful than the puppet leader he had portrayed himself as at the time.

In the morning, the group gathers in their shared quarters and waits for Carmard to arrive in the room. A steward brings them all some morning coffee or tea, some bread and honey and oatmeal and are told to wait for Carmard. It only takes half an hour, but Carmard enters the room with Valina in tow. He waves to them as he enters and takes a seat on the bench by the table, pouring himself something to drink.

“Good morn to all of ye. I apologize for having ye wait, I had to attend to my morning prayers. I’ll have you know the Princes are quite happy with the support we have given them. I think we all hope it will be enough, but even if it is enough, they are still in a difficult strategic position. I’ve strongly advised him of that, and to not expect us to save him if they become overwhelmed. In truth, we probably would, especially if they swear fealty to us and become our vassals. I hope it does not come to that, and we are here to help, not to enable strategic foolishness. Still… it could work” he says and shrugs, but he has a bit of a hopeful smile.

“So tell me, what do I need to know from all of you? I’d like to know anything important you may know that would aid my role, and any advice on using the Forgemark Rangers we brought. I understand after this meal, Sabine, Wyatt and Kal-resh will be going to seek a prisoner or two for us. I wish you all the best of luck with that” he says, tipping his head respectfully in Sabine’s direction. “It is good to have you back. I heard of your troubles and travails. I, personally, have gave testament to any who asked how invaluable you were on the first Stoneburner mission” he tells Sabine.

Heretic's Bane - DM

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Unsure what to make of the elder dwarf woman and her strange constructs, Sabine gives her the briefest polite welcomes and returns to the business of planning she, Wyatt and Kal-resh’s upcoming escapade. She manages not to flinch as Carmard’s acknowledgement once again places her in the center of attention. She sees others watching her with a hint of unease, but bows respectful thanks to him.

She’s also deeply impressed with the load of material and warriors supplied for the offensive. But still she had some reservations. Ignoring hierarchy or chain-of-command, she takes her concerns directly to Thordrek.

While a tally of their arsenal is good, she would also like – and feels should be made known all around – the exact composition and planned usage of the many incoming mercenaries. She feels everybody would be better off knowing this, but unvoiced is her focus on three specific individuals in that group. She intends to know there responsibilities and whereabouts of those three as much as she’s able. The disposition of Black, his pet cleric, and the leader of the Golden Company are fast in her mind.

She’s also worried about he new guns they were given. The “organ guns.” Though she certainly sees the benefits of the things, she thinks they may hamper the work of the “inside” group. What good will the specialists be if the army at their back is routed? “Thordrek, about these organ guns … I’ve never seen these things in use and I’m willing to bet most of the dwarves here haven’t either. Well, given the griping I’m hearing, they’re not all the seasoned soldiers to begin with. Moving the things and placing them are, of course, up to you or whoever is making the overall plans. The princes?” She shrugs. “If these things use powder and explode somewhat randomly at their targets, how will the troops deal with the noise and smoke? I think maybe your people – who will be in the thick of fighting – should know what to expect when those things go off.” Trusting the “baron” to understand her meaning in adding additional chaos to a battlefield, she leaves him with those thoughts and finds her partners in scouting to devise a plan.

“Well lads,” she says to Wyatt and Kal-resh, “You’ve already gotten a lay of the land. Where do you suggest we start? They want us to leave in the morning, but I saw we go slow toward a target area you choose. And … lets consider the phase of the moon and ask Nalrak maybe about divining the coming weather. The more cover and foreknowledge we can muster before we head out the better. Orcs might see us coming in the dark, but human wizards won’t.

“Kal-resh? I know you’ve been a big help, and Wyatt vouches for you, but I’d like to know your skills. I’d rather not be surprised by what you can or can’t do.
    ” She pauses. “Um, no offense of course.”

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thordrek

Thordrek agrees with a nod

My thoughts exactly... Plus it wouldn't hurt morale for the boys to see what we bring to the table either. So far the rank and file sees us mainly as the hardasses giving orders with little authority to back them. Hell, all most of them knew about clan Jilker before we showed up was the drunken ramblings of the longbeards back home. Those who survive the first crush will realize why Magnum and Grath were so hard on them of course, but it doesn't help us much right now. I'll bring it to Carmard and the princes. I'm also a bit concerned about the Turoks. They're one hell of an asset in a fight, but they can be a bit unpredictable and they'll make the troopers a bit nervous. Not to mention your old friend Black is due to arrive any day lugging a bunch of cutthroats and rapists who will nominally be working for us... Do you have any ideas on those fronts?
    Last edited by thorgrim29; 2014-08-17 at 10:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Sabine is attentive to Thordrek, as he's amenable to her caution, and nods her thankful agreement ... until he mentions Black. She suddenly becomes a hair too preoccupied with gear; readjusting straps for comfort, double-checking belts, running her thumb along a few inches of exposed blade to determine if it needs oiling.

"What? Any ideas, no. They're mercenaries and will do as they're told and paid to do, ay? Isn't that what you're to do - keeping the sellswords in line?" Her eyes darken noticeably, and you note a glimmer of that old coldness for just a moment, but it seems to pass without any lasting effect. "I only think reputation is justified. I'd like to know where they are during this engagement, if for no other reason but to reassure you I'm trying to maintain some ... battle awareness. Best know where we all are. Surprises can become costly."

You note a vague hesitation. Sable evinced a respectable, if somewhat frightening, detachment to goings-on, but Sabine is more raw. She's certainly preoccupied; downcast eyes and a clenching of her jaw tell you there is much on her mind, but her comments are no less insightful that ever.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thordrek

Thordrek may not be as adept as, say, Joh at reading people, but still his eyes widen slightly at Sable's overreaction

Not so over it all after all are we? Good to know she's not done a complete 180.

He thinks as he raises his hand in a conciliatory manner

Easy there, I didn't realize it was such a touchy subject, sorry. And don't worry, we probably won't have to rub elbows with them once the invasion starts, we'll be behind the lines

As instructed Thordrek brings Carmard up to speed on the supply side of things in a businesslike manner, having brought copies of the latest reports with him. At the end of this report:

I believe we have 3 more things to discuss on my end.

First, the troops have seen Grathalmore's pistols at work and are suitably impressed, but as you said yesterday no one here has heard the organ guns sing. As Sabine pointed out during breakfast, it might be a good idea to stage a demonstration. Both to give them heart and to prevent panic on the battlefield.

Secondly, a bit in the same spirit as the first point, these troops aren't used to seeing minotaurs outside of stories, maybe some kind of demonstration or and expose of some kind would be in order. I know from experice that the bulls can be a bit touchy, and while I'm fairly confident I can handle Gore if he tries to settle the ridiculous grudge he has against me a green recruit would be as good as dead and then we'd have a bloodbath on our hands. Tasster gets along with them, maybe he can think of something

Finally, I'd like to organise some of the more daring wagon drivers as auxiliaries for the battle. They could go from the frontlines to the base camp and ferry food, water and spare gear in and wounded and dead out. They'll need to be paid and probably guarded, so if you and Magnum agree I'd like some help convincing Tezzter. We also need to talk about who gets the best gear with the Princes, personally my first thought would be to outfit a few elite units to act as reserves/devil hunters as well as the best 2 or 3 fighters in every other unit.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Before he parts, Sabine seems to bite a mental bullet and apologizes to Thordrek in turn. "No, I'm sorry. Black'll do the job he's hired to do, but I don't trust them otherwise. If they don't complicate things for you I'm sure they will for me. But you're planning a war and I'm making things personal." She smiles. "I'm sure it'll all work out. Don't you worry about it."

As she wanders off to plan a kidnapping, you ponder whether her last remark is more reassuring or troubling.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Thordrek

As instructed Thordrek brings Carmard up to speed on the supply side of things in a businesslike manner, having brought copies of the latest reports with him. At the end of this report:

I believe we have 3 more things to discuss on my end.

First, the troops have seen Grathalmore's pistols at work and are suitably impressed, but as you said yesterday no one here has heard the organ guns sing. As Sabine pointed out during breakfast, it might be a good idea to stage a demonstration. Both to give them heart and to prevent panic on the battlefield.

Secondly, a bit in the same spirit as the first point, these troops aren't used to seeing minotaurs outside of stories, maybe some kind of demonstration or and expose of some kind would be in order. I know from experice that the bulls can be a bit touchy, and while I'm fairly confident I can handle Gore if he tries to settle the ridiculous grudge he has against me a green recruit would be as good as dead and then we'd have a bloodbath on our hands. Tasster gets along with them, maybe he can think of something

Finally, I'd like to organise some of the more daring wagon drivers as auxiliaries for the battle. They could go from the frontlines to the base camp and ferry food, water and spare gear in and wounded and dead out. They'll need to be paid and probably guarded, so if you and Magnum agree I'd like some help convincing Tezzter. We also need to talk about who gets the best gear with the Princes, personally my first thought would be to outfit a few elite units to act as reserves/devil hunters as well as the best 2 or 3 fighters in every other unit.

Carmard listens to Thordrek's suggestions and nods respectfully in response to each of them. He even takes some notes in his journal, scratching the runes precisely as he goes.

"Good suggestions. I had not considered that 'playing the organs' would frighten our own troops. They are as inherently as they are unwieldy, and we may need to recruit horses and extra crew to serve them. They do not just shoot iron shot. Usually half a load is iron, while a quarter of the other shots are explosive's using alchemical fire and the other quarter can release some kind of foul gas. Or, we can just load all the barrels with two balls linked together by a chain. Good again flying enemies. In close quarters, they can load the tubes with nails and pistol shot. All quite devastating. The gunners will need to drill before combat anyways, so we may as well demonstrate them to the troops. Less fear, more admiration" he says and smiles with a look of pride on his face. That fades after a moment, and he strokes his beard.

"For your last two points, yes I think Tasster should talk with Gore. Part of what you describe is why they're staying with the cannons, and by extension, myself. We'll keep them isolated, outside of town but near the practice yards so both sides can get used to seeing each other. As for using the wagon drivers as auxiliaries to move supplies in and the wounded out, an idea I had considered as well. That would be a fine role for some of the mercenaries. They would stay fresh and could be used as reinforcements. Obviously not all of them though. Many have come with horses of their own, and those should be employed screening our flanks.

I've already talked to the Princes on employment of the best weapons. He insisted the officers all get a pistol, rather than a single pistol equipped unit. Hard to argue with that, especially with the limited number of shots available. The pistols we gave them are old ones from our own officers though, retired in favor of the four shot runic pistols. The rest of new equipment is going to a couple of reserve units of militia. Better to stiffen them instead of only a marginal gain for the mithril legion. The magicked weapons are all going to the demon hunting teams with the big spears. It's unorthodox, but it seems like it will work. The presence of the demons and their role is everyone's greatest fear here. The rest of the magic weapons are again going to the unit officers, which usually means they are the best warriors in a particular unit too.

All in all, I hear you all have made impressive strides with training these troops. Had you not engaged them so, I fear this would have been a disaster in the making"
    he pauses and tips his head in the direction of Magnum and Grathalmor.

"So for your own mission, I understand much of it, but how will you be getting to the point where you will be blockading the tunnel. I seemed to have missed that part. Perhaps some of you can advise Amethyst of this plan, as she'll be joining you on whatever it is"
    Carmard says and turns to Amethyst.

"You wanted to get out of the workshops. Out of the foundry and into the smelter I think for you, but you're in good hands. These fine warriors are the heroes that destroyed the Aurilite grip on our part of the north with their mission, blowing up one of the enemy's mountains. I led them for a time, and they'll have need of you. One of their prior mages died in an earthquake in the Underdark escorting hundreds of slaves to freedom. The other was like myself, wounded and no longer able to join them. Not reassuring words, but truthful ones. They are unorthodox, but they're our best strike team. I know that may not be what you volunteered for perhaps, but you're in good hands. Prepare to act boldly" Carmard says and pats Amethyst on the shoulder.

Heretic's Bane - DM

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Kal-Resh enjoyed the flight home, Wyatts weight had become a thing of annoyance initially, but he was so used to the little hin, he barely felt him on his back as he pumped his wings and soared over the thermals lifting him up.

Once they had gathered the transportation for the others, Kal waited for everyones return, and he marveled at the amount of stuff that was bought, seemingly out of thing air, to them. The Minotaurs were impressive, but he had seem them in the tunnels and caves, he could relate to their strength, and only hoped he would do them proud in the days to come.

The strange guns that were being carted in confused him, he has no understanding of how they worked, and while he had seen the pistols being fired, making it a point to see them, so they wouldn't scare him in the field, he wondered how anything could make a larger noise than those.

Shaking his head disbelievingly he turned to the new woman, her scent still caught him by surprise, still not used to it.

He turns his head sideways, as he is want to do when seeing or listening to something he hasn't before. He reminds you of a dog as he does so.

Frowning for a moment he thinks, and then his face lights up like a childs "Ah, Kal was confused what you were asking, you want to know what Kal can do, Kal is Druid, Kal changes into animal shapes, but no magik from Kal, Kal is a warrior." he says, puffing up his chest from the obvious pride he felt. "I can show you once we move out of sight from stuck up dwarves." he says, making no attempt to hide his words.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Organ Rehearsal

Carmard’s stay for breakfast is interrupted by one of the stewards who arrived to tell him some of the mercenaries had arrived and there had been an altercation in town within hours. While the conversation is hushed, anyone who cared to overhear could make out there had been an altercation between a member of Black’s Company and the Golden Company in a tavern when one side intervened to prevent an assault on a tavern maid. Carmard gives Sabine a sidelong glances and clanks out of the room. He is clearly not happy to deal with the situation and intended to summon both commanders to discuss it.

The group is left alone now, and Thordrek is left with ordering what is to be done. With Sabine there now, he feels confident in sending her out with Wyatt and Kal-resh to try to come back with a prisoner. The easiest place to get one would be from the fort that blocked their approach through the canyon that lead to the mountains.

The rest of the group would continue their training and research until such time as a demonstration of the organ guns could be organized. That demonstration is set for just after supper time. Everyone in the party is there for the demonstration, although Sabine’s group is stopping by as they depart for the hills.

The two organ guns, with their long brass barrels are set up in a field just outside of town. The minotaurs, all in their heavy plate armor and heavy weapons, stand guard around the cannons. The Princes, the Thanes of each of the Clans, the mercenaries and, of course, all of the members of the militia and Mithril Legion. Carmard is there as well, and he gives a speech about the Patriachate’s commitment to their historical allies and desire to mend old wounds through joint effort. It sounded like a politician’s stump speech, but Carmard’s words were sincere from his perspective. As jaded as everyone else seemed to be in the group, Carmard had always been stern and committed to the cause. Even when he could have walked away, he had stayed to make himself useful.

The organ guns are tended by their two crews and a gruff looking engineer with a wild beard, trousers and an open shirt from which gold chains hung below his beard. He barked orders and gestured pointedly with a pipe wrench as he ordered his men to drill. Behind the barrels sits a large tank with a small hole in it. The engineer gestures at the crowd and explains the guns operate off of steam power, and the rods provide the water to fill the tanks, which is heated and the steam fires the guns. How it is heated, he does not elaborate on. Next he inserts the rods into the tanks and it takes a minute before a steam whistles on each of the guns. The sound is sharp, and the whistle is crafted to look like a dragon’s head. The barking engineer next orders the barrels to be tested, and valves are flipped and steam billows out of the barrels with a deep, booming “vooom!!!” as each barrel is discharged. It has an almost musical quality to it.

Satisfied, the engineer does something with the rod and the water trunk attached to the gun groans. Moments later, the whistle that acts as a safety valve is positively screaming like an insane tea kettle. Clouds of steam obscure the guns a bit even! Now, the crew scrambles to load shot into the barrels, dumping buckets of stone into each barrel. With the crew cleared, the dwarfs sitting on the guns look to the engineer for orders and he signals them to fire. The whistle stops for a moment as the safety valve is closed and the guns shutter from the pressure before the engineer on the back of the gun starts pulling levers on the back of each barrel in rapid succession. With a cloud of scalding steam and a harmonic, booming “Voooommm!”, clouds of high velocity stones are expelled from the barrels in a cloud of gravel, blanketing an area a couple hundred feet out. The gun commanders close the barrel valves and open the safety valve, and the dragon whistle begins screaming again as clouds of steam blow from the gun. The crew scrambles to load two shots in each barrel, chained together. Some barrels are just loaded with chains. One of the guns is trained upwards as much as 30 degrees after loading. Once again, the whistle is closed, the guns shake and the organs spit out a hail of spinning cannon balls that would shred orc flesh or anything approaching from the air. The shots spin off into the dirt field, hitting in a cloud of dirt as they whip about. Had it been an orc army, many of their enemies would have had their legs scythed off.

Again, the barrel valves are slammed shut and the dragon whistle screams as the crew scrambled to load the guns with solid shot in some barrels. In others, the cannon balls have a sparking fuze or glass spheres. The final volley is thrown out of the barrels in a cloud of steam and sound, sending the shots hundreds of feet into the field. The iron shots arrive first, sending up clouds of dirt from the impact followed by bright explosions, sending splashes of fire and fragments all around. The clouds of yellow gas billow as well from their impact, obscuring the area of impact. The valves are closed again and the ear splitting sound of the whistle fades as the demonstration ends. The crew shuts down the guns and the rod is withdrawn from the tankards, and a valve pours the excess water on the ground. With the guns shut down, the crew steps away from their guns and bow before the crowd.
    Some cheer or applaud, but others remove their hands from their ears and look on the weapons with stunned silence. As the sun sets, the alchemical fire burns in the field far away…

Carmard stumps out in front of the engineers and address the crowd and looks over the crowd sternly.

“Thank ye for comin’ to see this demonstration. None of you have ever seen weapons like this. Our enemies should fear them, not us. The sound of these weapons is the sound of hope for a return home. The Patriarchate is here to support you with the best we have to give. Tethyamar shall rise again, one stronghold at a time, one victory at a time, together and victorious” he says and bows to the gathered crowd, trying to rally them.

Despite the demonstration, the party can tell the weapons, their ear splitting whistle and deep, brass note was unsettling. The effect of the weapons themselves was terrifying as well. All three volleys had been fired in less than two minutes.
    Last edited by mshady; 2014-08-20 at 12:06 AM.

Heretic's Bane - DM

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Pickup and Delivery

Leaving the demonstration with their ears ringing, Sabine, Wyatt and Kal-resh slip off into the woods and head towards the fortress. It is a calm night, with few bugs and only the slightest chill. The fort was going to be a two day trek, they figure, and it was going to be a lot of hiking through the wilderness instead of any established road that could be easily observed.

When they get closer to the fort, the trio can observe it from a small hill. It is a wooden ringed motte and bailey with tents pitched outside, where orcs that could not all fit inside the woodland fortress could live. They watch the place for most of the day, seeing a patrol of twenty orcs go out in the morning and evening to sweep the area that covered the approach from the Dalelands. Each patrol clearly had a higher ranking orc with it, as one orc in particular seemed to have heavier armor and a brightly colored headdress. They also notice hunting parties seek off into the woods at irregular intervals, looking for game. Judging the distinct lack of any deer in the immediate area, it would seem they had depleted their immediate surroundings. A small river (or a large creek) flows through the area, and it seemed to be fished. Some barges sit at a dock nearby and Wyatt knew that small river went into the mountains. It had a blue hue to hit, and both Wyatt and Kal-resh knew that meant the river was glacial run off.

So what’s the plan?
    OOC: Ambush the patrol, ambush a hunting party or try to kidnap a fishermen? Or bypass it and sneak in deeper in hopes of finding an even higher value target? Everyone should chime in on this one, I’m throwing you folks something to do here

Heretic's Bane - DM

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Sabine believes there is very little chance of such a small outlying group being informed of anything important. Their orders are almost certainly, "Patrol the area around you and send a runner the moment you discover anything unusual." And if they have a regular report schedule, say once per day, then any action we take against them will decrease the amount of time we can move about relatively freely. We should definitely move on.

26. - Top - End - #86

Wyatt

Wyatt hands Sabine a copy of the map he produced while on his scouting mission. "I think it's better you look at 'dis 'dan me tellin' ya with words. 'dese are the sketches I made while we were flying overhead. I got a bunch. If I were chargin' for 'em, I'd probably be rich by now. Haha. But, nah. Anyway, we're lookin' forward to 'dis..."

During the scouting...

Wyatt was thrilled to have Sabine back into the fold. His mood and outlook on things improved dramatically, and it was clear from the way he talked and moved that he was looking forward to working together again.

After surveying the potential targets, Wyatt shakes his head and looked to Sabine, speaking quietly. "I think 'dese folks would be noticed if 'dey went missing. Or, rather, 'deir lack of presence would be notice... uh... whatever. You know what I mean. Let's move and see what else we can find."
    Last edited by Strangie; 2014-08-20 at 07:21 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

Beholder

"Dare won't be any sneakin' up wit' dose, will dare?" Grathalmor says, mostly to Buna, but loud enough for everyone to hear. He hadn't covered his ears, and the ringing made his speech exceptionally loud. He wiggles his index fingers in his ears for a moment - looking like he was trying to clean the noise out like it was wax - then looks at Carmard. "I can see 'em bein' effective ouside da caves, but how ya gonna use 'em underground?"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

As the silent trio stalks through the wilderness, avoiding a large patrol of orcs with little difficulty, Sabine assesses their situation and goals while trying to ignore the niggling preoccupation with unrelated worries. Here and now are too important and dangerous to be thinking about whatever her old friend in Black's Company might be doing ...

Spoiler: Scout plan
    Show
    I think distractions and misdirection rarely go wrong. Being behind the lines is a good start. Once we find a good target - a wizard or obvious commander (I'd be willing to take a running messenger if we're low on options) - I think Wyatt and Sabine snag'em while Kal uses some beast form (or summoned beasts) to create a very natural (for the Realms) monster attack. We reconvene a mile or so distant to throw off any immediate pursuit and use fastest means to RTB. We'll use whatever means necessary to safely subdue the target for transport and check for obviously dangerous, communication or "tracking" (scryable?) items. I can hit him/her with nondetection. Other useful spells?

Thoughts? Better ideas? Secondary plans?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Kal weaves in and out of the grass barely perceptible, a true hunter amongst prey, he stops and looks back, resting on his haunches, his fur rippling in the light wind, his keen cat eyes picking up his traveling companions with ease.

Waiting for them to catch up, he shifts back into his walking form, it made it easier on his friends when a large cat began talking to them. Nodding he agreed with Sabines assessment.

"Kal can do distraction, Kal can do that very well, how about if we are attacked by devils? What would Kal do then?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

She doesn’t stop her light stepping through the underbrush, but Sabine does hesitate thoughtfully at Kal’s question. “I don’t think they’d keep a resource like that walking around without supervision or … well, anything to do. If it does happen though, I guess you’d best make a run for it and vanish. If we can’t lose it, you two keep to the mission and I’ll take care of it. I’ll catch up with you when I can.” She shrugs and keeps moving.