New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Last War

Going with K'hnut to the back of the train, Goldfeather pulls out her crossbow and tries taking a potshot at the cowering pile of bones.

This probably won't do a thing...
    Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[2]
    Damage if hit: (1d10)[8]

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Traxian reaches the engine room with a final burst of speed and begins banging on the door without hesitation. "We have would-be saboteurs on the train! This is an emergency, so if you value the lives of you and your passengers, you will open this door immediately!!!" Comeoncomeonyoublastedfoolsopenthedoor!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phyrie will run after the skeleton that headed towards Traxian/the engines. "Oh no you don't..."

Spoiler: On your marks...
    Show
    She'll spend her whole turn sprinting...

4. - Top - End - #184
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Fennel shakes his head as he watches Phyrie run past. "Hell's bells, don't you people ever rest?"

Even so, he shrugs off the slight fatigue that always seemed to come from interacting with his god and lumbers after her. Wary of further dangers lurking through out the train, he unlimbers his morningstar and readies it in one hand. The other still clutches the Traveller's emblem, snapped leather tether ends still dangling from his gauntlet.

Spoiler: Boring walk
    Show
    Double movement (yaaay fullplate armor slow), ready to swat heads or turn undead if any of either show pop up inbetween the first and second move.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

K’hnut rushes the undead, knocking him over with his flail and giving him a good bash once he hits the ground. Despite the unmoving enemy, Goldfeather manages to miss his mark quite wide, almost hitting K’hnut right in the head. Free Bird follows suit, giving the undead a good bash in the head, causing him to crumble and explode.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    K’hnut and Free Bird take 6 negative damage

Tymon’s head peeks out of the door, looking around warily, “Ah, good sir! What is amiss? We heard someone scream, and sounds of battle. We didn’t know what to do! But what are you talking about, ‘saboteurs’?” Traxian hears the footsteps come to a stop just above his head, and then slowly move around to the side of the train on the roof.

6. - Top - End - #186

Traxian pushes through the door into the engine room and grabs Tymon by the shoulders. "Tymon if you value your lives, those of your passengers, and the future functionality of this train, you will do as I say and pull the emergency brakes immediately. Do not ask questions. JUST DO IT!" If Tymon hesitates for too long, Traxian will make a split decision to pull what he believes should be the emergency brakes.
    Spoiler: Full stop!
    Show
    Description of the engine room? I'm gonna guess which is the brake if it comes down to it...

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tymon stutters nervously, and the other two men in the room look very concerned, “But… That would be incredibly dangerous! You realize how fast we are travelling? An emergency stop would be very unwise. The velocity that we are currently travelling at… I mean, it would… Wait, why are you looking at the control panel like that?”

The front car is fairly small, and the room is dominated by a slightly raised platform with a multitude of buttons and knobs. The distinguishing features of it are 3 large levers, one with a green knob on top, one with a yellow and one with a red.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Mike, time to make your move!

8. - Top - End - #188

Traxian takes a split second to concentrate. With the discipline of a diamond mind adept, time seems to slow in taking its course. Come on, think Trax! Three knobs: green, yellow, red. Hypothesis: red would be the emergency stop in following with typical convention. Note: the lack of the dust and multitude of prints on the green and yellow levers. This would indicate regular use. Red, on the other hand, appears relatively untouched, as if it is only to be used on rare occasions. No time to second guess myself. I have made my decision. This one! Traxian leaps forward and pulls the red lever before any of the engineers can react.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shouts of protest rise from the conductors as Traxian lunges for the red lever. Their hands reach out to stop his, but are too slow and too weak to prevent Traxian from yanking down on the red lever. Immediately, the whole train begins to fall out of it's hovering, suspending the whole party in a brief moment of weightlessness. Suddenly, a wrenching metal-on-metal sound rings out from below the cars. Unlike the stop they encountered before, the train comes to an incredibly jarring stop, with the sound of metal through earth, grinding and scraping.

Everyone is thrown forward with incredible force. The 4 in the conductor car go face-first into the front window, cracking the glass, though Traxian is able to catch himself and avoid taking too much damage. The remaining undead goes flying into the door of the next car, splatting and exploding in dark energy. Phyrie is able to catch herself on the door of the car, but her chin slams into the door frame before she comes to a stop. Fennel flies forward, rolls off the wall of one of the cabins, and tumbles down the hall, coming to rest not too far from Phyrie. Goldfeather reacts with lightning reflexes, and grabs a hold of one of the nearby benches bolted to the floor. Free Bird and K'hnut are not so quick, and go rocketing into the far wall of the car. K'hnut has the additional pleasure of face-planting into the dead elf's corpse as he collides, albeit which does soften the blow a little, but sprays blood all over him and Free Bird.

Show
    Phyrie and Traxian take 4 damage. Fennel takes 6 damage. K'hnut takes 8 damage. Free Bird takes 9 damage. Goldfeather takes no damage. [Bludgeoning]

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

"Blast it, what is going on up there?", Goldfeather exclaims as she gets up from the floor. Stopping first to check that K'hnut and Free Bird are alright, she will begin sprinting towards the front of the train, stopping to help anyone else she comes across before continuing to the engine car.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goldfeather hears grunts and profanities from the cars as he passes. Clearly, some of the passengers were not too pleased with the less than graceful stop. A few of the doors have opened, with heads popping out and surveying the area. They all look concerned at confused at the sight of Goldfeather. One woman calls out to her, “Excuse me, miss! What in the seven hells is going on?”

12. - Top - End - #192

Traxian picks himself up off the floor and immediately checks on Tymon and the other two engineers.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tymon has a nasty looking gash across his forehead, groaning in pain. The other two engineers have a few cuts and bruises, but nothing too serious. Tymon looks, for the first time since encountering him, irrate. He rights himself, and angrily addresses Traxian. "What in the nine hells of Baator are you doing!!?!?!?? Do you realize how dangerous that was??!!?! You just put your life and the lives of all of the passengers at HUGE risk!! What in the innumerable planes possessed you??!?" Tymon is breathing heavily and looks quite disheveled, a massive contrast to his usual composure.

14. - Top - End - #194

Traxian replies back, although his mind seems elsewhere... "Yes, yes, terribly sorry. It was risky, but we all seem to be in relatively one piece. The short of it, is that a mage with an entourage of Karnathi undead were making their way to this engine room via the train's roof. With most of my companions distracted by additional minions in the train cars, one can presume what they planned to do when they reached the three of you..."

He looks out the cracked front window. Talking quietly, almost to himself, "Now, did any of our rooftop interlopers survive our abrupt stop..."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Karrnathi? Mage? What in the world is going on around here!?!" Tymon pushes past Traxian to the microphone, to make an announcement. "Hello valued passengers. We apologize for the abrupt stop once again. Please be advised that all passengers should remain in their rooms until further notice. Thank you for your patience and cooperation."

Tymon looks exhausted and distressed as he steps away from the microphone. "I am not getting paid enough for this... Don't start the train quite yet. I need to get a handle on this whole mess. And you, no more pulling handles! I suppose that without you lot we would be in a lot more trouble... Then again, I'm beginning to think you all might be to blame for this... In any case, I thank you for saving all of us." He nods slightly in appreciation, then stalks away from the front car, down to survey the train: the damage and the aftermath of the battle.

He meets up with the rest of the party as he makes his way down. His face is drawn in horror as he sees the incredible damage to the lounge and dining car, along with the deceased elf. "Gods above and below, what happened here!?... Well, I guess I better start cleaning all this up. I can imagine that the rest of the train is going to wonder what in the world has happened and disregard the announcement soon enough." Tymon starts by pulling a tablecloth from the dining car and covering the elf woman in a very ceremonious manner, then moves her body on top of one the benches. The corpses of the undead are all just piles of dust, and Tymon sweeps them away and off the train. "Did any of you know this woman?"

Between the darkness outside and the nearly destroyed window, Traxian cannot see anything outside from the conductor car.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

Lifting himself off the floor on all fours K'hnut shakes, spraying gore to all around him. Happy that his landing was padded by the elf. "Huh, I guess elves are good for something." Not dallying on the though he hops upright and bolts off to find that mage to make sure he is dead for real this time, and to repay it for its magical treachery.

17. - Top - End - #197

Traxian nods at the two remaining conductors, "While we're waiting... Turn on the headlights, I'm going to check for any remnants of those Karnathi shamblers." He ventures off the train, gathering his coat around him against the cool breeze. He makes his way directly in front of the train, his silhouette in contrast to the sharp glaring light.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Traxian searches the span of the light beam.
    Last edited by NightAngel16; 2014-06-13 at 02:10 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Slowly raising her hand to her bloody lip, Phyrie will grimace at the slight sting. "Today really isn't my day." She'll continue running to the front of the train.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

K’hnut, Phyrie and everone else headed there, meets up with Traxian at the front of the train. In the glaring headlights, the duo cannot see anything immediately. Moving further up and surveying the ground, they find two piles of dust, reminiscent of the Karrnathi corpses found on the train. Outside of the cone of light from the headlights, little can be seen in the dark expanse without more light or good dark vision.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

Goldfeather will stop her head long rush to the front of the train to turn to the questioning passengers. Taking a moment to catch her breath, she puts on her best smile. "I am sorry, but I do not have all of the information right now. There were several Karnathi undead back there, but we took care of them. There may be more, so I suggest that you all follow the conductor's advice and remain in your rooms and lock the doors. I do not know why we stopped yet, but I am on my way to find out. Please return to your rooms, that is probably the safest place to be right now." With that Goldfeather will resume her run towards the front of the train.

Presuming nothing else stops her along the way, Goldfeather will join Traxian in his investigation of the front of the train.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

The woman nods nervously, shuts and then locks her door. Goldfeather makes it to the front without incident.

22. - Top - End - #202

Looks like most of the gang is here... Traxian glances around the bleak landscape, then raises an eye at the present party members. "Look, I'm touched you all rushed to rendezvous with me, but in light of any damage or injuries we may have suffered recently... Where is Free Bird? Hmmm?"
    He kneels down to pick up a handful of dust. He examines it for a moment, then scatters it to the wind. "Feel free to continue searching the area for anything useful. I'll see you back in the train."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll go stabilize Ian.. but I have no healing :P

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Trying to focus on anything but the aches and pains incurred from the abrupt stop, Fennel stands and dusts himself off. He wearily regards the wrecked interior of the train car, a sight that was starting to become far too common for his taste. Not since the War had they wracked such carnage - he'd have to do much mending, of broken bones and broken furniture, before he'd be satisfied with the place again.

He draws power in to heal his own wounds and then begins stumbling towards the front of the train again. If the train stop had happened as he thought it did, someone was going to be sleeping in invisibly wet beds for a significant period of time after this.

Spoiler: Heal
    Show
    Healed for 10, rolled in roll20

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

Looking out into the dark surrounding the train K'hnut speaks up, "Well there likely is something out there, but how far and if it is coming our way who knows. So I recommend getting back on the train and resume our trip before anything decides it wants a train ride." K'hnut makes his way back on to the train to talk to the conductors to get this train moving again.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phyrie will take a minute to catch her breath when she reaches the front car. When nothing seems too amiss, she'll heal herself.

Spoiler: Healing
    Show
    Healing Belt - 1 charge
    (2d8)[14]

Then she'll turn to the group and say "Well, we've stopped the train. I don't think we've ruled out the possibility that the other enemies are lurking on the roof still. I can provide some light, but probably shouldn't go check alone. I suggest before we start the train again, we make sure they fell off." Phyrie will cast light and walk along the top of the train with whoever would like to go. After each car cleared, she'll signal to one of the party inside indicating that a) she made it and b) there was no trouble. (This way, if they encounter something, the party inside will know relatively soon.) If they make it to the back of the train with no incident, she'll signal to the conductor (no pun intended) to start the train.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

"I agree with K'hnut. Perhaps we should keep a watch going for a while once resume the trip." Goldfeather will also return to the train

27. - Top - End - #207
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

After dealing with his injuries, Free Bird will make his way to the front of the train. "Perhaps we should go outside and ensure that our foes met the desired fate."

Not waiting for the others, Free Bird will go outside and look for any movement.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Repair Light Damage x2 (1d8+3)[7] (1d8+3)[11]
    Infuse weapon with Flaming
    Infuse self with Bull's Strength (+4 strength)
    Infuse shield with Magic Vestment (+1 AC)

Activate Lenses of Bright Vision (10 minutes of a 15 foot cone of light coming from my eyes)

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

The night is still and silent outside the train. Free Bird sees no movement outside of the train; it seems that if there were any survivors, they have long fled. Phyries sees nothing on top of the train, except the gaping hole in the roof of the lounge car that has been patched with what appears to be a piece of one of the benches.

With all of the party onboard, Tymon approaches saying, “Well, despite the excitement of tonight, we do have a schedule to keep. We’ll be leaving momentarily.” Tymon moves back to the front of the car, and over the speakers, his voice announces wearily. “Passengers prepare to depart…”

After some much needed sleep, the party arrives in Starilaskar next morning. Once the train stops in the station, Tymon leads them personally from the train over to the nearby caravan yard. On the way there he grumbles something about fools pull train brakes then, before anyone has a chance to say anything they they are shown to an old, shriveled caravan driver, who greets them warmly.

“Well hello there friends. My name is Bartholomew, or Barty, or Bart, or B, whatever you like! I hear you lot need a ride up into New Cyre. Well hop aboard, everything has been paid for and taken care up. Always happy to do business with the House of Cannith. You know, I had a good childhood friend who was a Cannith. Such a strange little man. He once went a date with my sister, took her to a very strange restaurant on the west side of Sharn. That’s where I’m from, did you know? Such a lovely city. Beautiful water, tall towers, quaint shops. Perfect place to me, and let me tell you youngings, I’ve been all over Korvaire, and beyond! Such a magnificent, wide world out there. And I must admit, I haven’t even seen half of what Eberron has to offer. I could tell you tales of such strange, wondrous places you’ve never heard, or dreamed of! Good thing I have a few days to share all of my wealth of knowledge…”

Despite his old appearance, Bart hops from his seat, and helps the party load their gear into the caravan. Once everything is loaded, Bartholomew hops into the driver’s seat, and spurs on his large, mule-like creatures. He begins to whistle, then leaps into his next tale, “Any of you ever been out to Trolanport? Queer little place, there are rumors that…”

Show
    If you really wanted to do something on the train or on the way, let us know in the OOC. Otherwise, we continue exploring around in New Cyre...
    Last edited by petagee; 2014-06-17 at 01:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Before the cart has a chance to depart, a burly half-orc walks up to the cart, accompanied by a gnome wearing an intricate set of goggles and an elven woman with a wand holstered at her side. "A moment of your time, if you please. The half orc says with a calm and friendly tone. "I am Agent Paxton of the Dark Lanterns, and I would like to ask some questions regarding the incident on the lightning rail"

The party recalls that the Dark Lanterns serve the crown of Breland as spies and assassins. Collectively they form the intelligence division of the King's Citadel, a much larger organization sworn to defend Breland from its enemies and dispense justice in the name of King Boranel. More than any other division within the Citadel, the Dark Lanterns tend toward intelligence- gathering missions that extend beyond Breland's borders. As the secret servants of the crown, members of the organization are granted the authority to conduct intelligence operations on foreign soil, execute covert missions across the globe, and prevent national secrets from falling into the hands of rival intelligence agencies. The Dark Lanterns also have the unwritten authority to eliminate any creature that threatens their nation, its sovereign, or its citizens.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"Which one?"