New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Hogwarts Houses of OOTS cast??

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I think there's a quote out there about how Haley still was greedy, even though she had a reason.
    We haven't really seen her greedy side for awhile since we discovered her dad though if you find that quote please show me ><

As for the book quote: I would really recommend looking at pottermore also it goes a lot more in depth about the houses. Like apparently hufflepuffs are the best at keeping secrets and their common room is the only one of the 4 not to have a student of another house inside in hundreds of years. Haley does share 2ish traits with slytherin but a lot more with hufflepuff.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Maybe we could quote the 3 Sorting Hat Songs - for the key features the Founders looked for, and the key features in present day Hogwartians?
    Features in present day is easy: all the protagonists are in Gryffindor, all the antagonists are in Slytherin, and the other two houses are rarely mentioned
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rougn View Post
    We haven't really seen her greedy side for awhile since we discovered her dad though if you find that quote please show me ><
    I have been unable to find it, although I will keep looking. However, I would point out that Haley values it beyond simply needing it for the ransom, since she polishes it and is emotionally distraught that she was unable to speak to her gold.

Peelee’s Lotsey

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Features in present day is easy: all the protagonists are in Gryffindor, all the antagonists are in Slytherin, and the other two houses are rarely mentioned
    If you truly feel that the actual personality traits of the characters don't matter and its only the story role that is important in the final sorting of the characters in the JKR novel, then we clearly would have to ignore using the "present-day Hogwartians" personalities as evidence (since its contradictory). Our choice is then to use the claimed personality traits that lead to being sorted into particular houses (as we have been doing), or story role.

The application of houses to OOTS based on solely on story role is absurd:

Belkar and V belongs in Griffindor because they were protagonists from page 1. Miko stands a better chance at being in Hufflepuff because she appears midway through the comic and leaves, and O-chul may be Hufflepuff on the grounds of not getting enough screen time in, but both are probably Gryffindor on account of being in enough strips to count as being important enough characters for more than one book (some of the other paladins are not as lucky). The Monster in the Darkness is certainly Slytherin due to its strong association with the villains from the first time MiTD is mentioned. About the only characters that could be in Ravenclaw are Sangwaan and Aarindarius because both characters are minor enough to be in the house that only contains those of no real importance to the plot and both characters clearly have some intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think that's still oversimplifying, actually. For one thing, as Kish pointed out on the first page, V has an awful lot in common with Rowling's villains. Even going with a cynical interpretation of the Sorting, s/he'd still be Slytherin.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

How about Shojo? Definitely "uses any means to achieve his ends", but I'm not seeing "great ambition" as any part of his character. Really, the only thing I can pin down about him House-wise is that he isn't a Gryffindor.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    How about Shojo? Definitely "uses any means to achieve his ends", but I'm not seeing "great ambition" as any part of his character. Really, the only thing I can pin down about him House-wise is that he isn't a Gryffindor.
    Shojo lacks the desire for personal glory, but his goals are ambitious on a high scale. He is manipulative and cunning. He'd be a good, though unusual fit for Slytherin, I think.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    He could be a Ravenclaw: he's smarter than anyone else around him and knows how to actually run a city in a way that works, without caring too much about either personal power (Slytherin) or the ethics of the situation (Gryffindor). Even his last words are basically "ha ha, I'm smarter than you".
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    He could be a Ravenclaw: he's smarter than anyone else around him and knows how to actually run a city in a way that works, without caring too much about either personal power (Slytherin) or the ethics of the situation (Gryffindor). Even his last words are basically "ha ha, I'm smarter than you".
    This answer makes a lot of sense but I feel like the way he manipulates people could also land him in Slytherin. I feel like the difference between those two can be very difficult to tell sometimes.

Peelee’s Lotsey

10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground

The real question is in what house to sort Wizard Guy, Jiminy, and the Ranch Dressing Semi-Elemental!

I'd go with
    Wizard Guy: Ravenclaw (high intelligence)
    Jiminy: Slytherin (getting ahead at the expense of Ian)
    Ranch Dressing Semi-Elemental: ???
    Last edited by 137beth; 2014-06-01 at 08:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have been unable to find it, although I will keep looking. However, I would point out that Haley values it beyond simply needing it for the ransom, since she polishes it and is emotionally distraught that she was unable to speak to her gold.
    She was emotionally distraught after the money she needed to free her father was blown up not to mention her secret portion of her brain caused her to stop speaking and her biggest secret (remember she had to release one big secret to regain her speaking) was that her father was being held prisoner and that the gold she had was going to free him but now her once chance of getting him out is gone.

Haley use to be a one dimensional character and had jokes placed on her for it like polishing her gold and being the typical greedy thief. Then it developed and showed the gold was her way of getting her father out. If she truly cared more for money then anything else why didn't she become an adventurer before? She knows it makes more money faster then anything else. Instead she stayed in her home town waiting for her father to return because family is more to her then money.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

She was emotionally distraught after the money she needed to free her father was blown up not to mention her secret portion of her brain caused her to stop speaking and her biggest secret (remember she had to release one big secret to regain her speaking) was that her father was being held prisoner and that the gold she had was going to free him but now her once chance of getting him out is gone.

Haley use to be a one dimensional character and had jokes placed on her for it like polishing her gold and being the typical greedy thief. Then it developed and showed the gold was her way of getting her father out. If she truly cared more for money then anything else why didn't she become an adventurer before? She knows it makes more money faster then anything else. Instead she stayed in her home town waiting for her father to return because family is more to her then money.
    The strip that shows the her being distraught that she was unable to talk to her gold occurs after she had gone through all that character development. She has reasons for wanting her gold, yes. However, she also is a greedy rogue. Even before she knew of her father's imprisonment, she resented that so much gold was being taken away from her, she just lacked the proper motivation to break away from the Thieves Guild (with all the danger that doing so entailed). After all, she must have had a reason for joining the guild in the first place.

Also, her biggest secret was not that her father was being held prisoner but that she loved Elan.

Peelee’s Lotsey

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The strip that shows the her being distraught that she was unable to talk to her gold occurs after she had gone through all that character development. She has reasons for wanting her gold, yes. However, she also is a greedy rogue. Even before she knew of her father's imprisonment, she resented that so much gold was being taken away from her, she just lacked the proper motivation to break away from the Thieves Guild (with all the danger that doing so entailed). After all, she must have had a reason for joining the guild in the first place.

Also, her biggest secret was not that her father was being held prisoner but that she loved Elan.
    That is the reason why I think Hufflepuff for her; yes she liked gold however she was willing to let a large sum of it be taken away because it was comfortable and she had no drive to be a leader or to change anything. She let them take huge cuts of money because it was more work to stop them. It was not until something HUGE happened that caused her to change. Can you picture Slughorn, Snape, or even the black family letting someone do that to them?

And no her biggest secret was not her loving Elan. Out of the entire party only 1 person knew she didnt like him. Elan. Out of the entire party how many knew about her father? Her loving Elan was an embarrassing secret but the fact she didnt even tell Elan after she started dating him until the last second...

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That is the reason why I think Hufflepuff for her; yes she liked gold however she was willing to let a large sum of it be taken away because it was comfortable and she had no drive to be a leader or to change anything. She let them take huge cuts of money because it was more work to stop them. It was not until something HUGE happened that caused her to change. Can you picture Slughorn, Snape, or even the black family letting someone do that to them?
    I can picture any of them doing that if the risks out out weighed the benefits. Haley let them take large amounts of money because she could only stop them by leaving, something that carried so many risks that she didn't want to do it until her father was in danger.

And no her biggest secret was not her loving Elan. Out of the entire party only 1 person knew she didnt like him. Elan. Out of the entire party how many knew about her father? Her loving Elan was an embarrassing secret but the fact she didnt even tell Elan after she started dating him until the last second...
    It was the fact that she loved Elan that allowed her to cure herself, not that her father was imprisoned. It might have been known by less people (only two in the party), but that doesn't make it bigger.

Edit: I really don't think that this debate is going to get anywhere. Personally, I think that Haley fits the attributes of Slytherin better, and you think that she fits Hufflepuff better. I don't think that there is anything either of us can say to get the other to change their mind.
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2014-06-01 at 11:13 PM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I can picture any of them doing that if the risks out out weighed the benefits. Haley let them take large amounts of money because she could only stop them by leaving, something that carried so many risks that she didn't want to do it until her father was in danger.

It was the fact that she loved Elan that allowed her to cure herself, not that her father was imprisoned. It might have been known by less people (only two in the party), but that doesn't make it bigger.

Edit: I really don't think that this debate is going to get anywhere. Personally, I think that Haley fits the attributes of Slytherin better, and you think that she fits Hufflepuff better. I don't think that there is anything either of us can say to get the other to change their mind.
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0303.html

it says any secret of hers not her biggest secret

and I think your right; personally I see how she fits 1 maybe 2 traits of slytherin but I can see her fitting 5-7 hufflepuff which isnt bad remember they have some awesome people

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0303.html

it says any secret of hers not her biggest secret
    But it was one secret in particular that actually cured her condition, not any of the others.

and I think your right; personally I see how she fits 1 maybe 2 traits of slytherin but I can see her fitting 5-7 hufflepuff which isnt bad remember they have some awesome people
    I honestly wasn't even aware there are that many Hufflepuff traits.

Peelee’s Lotsey

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

But it was one secret in particular that actually cured her condition, not any of the others.

I honestly wasn't even aware there are that many Hufflepuff traits.
    That secret cured it only because she blurted it out because it answered the question at hand and she said it without thinking. I am sure that if it was reversed and the only why she could save her father was to scream out "MY FATHER IS BEING HELD RANSOM!" It would have worked just as well.

And yes there are alot of traits for all the houses; Personally I am a huge fan of harry potter (it was the series that got me to read) and i read alot on pottermore which has all of the traits and values of all the houses. She really expanded the Harry Potter world with that. As I said before Slytherin is tainted by the Death Eaters and their children so people do not know that Merlin, a muggle rights fighter, was Slytherin. They would then forget that Artemisia Lufkin was the first female prime minister. Why? Because the books the books didnt go into detail on the other houses. People see the movie and read the books and view it as brave? Griffindor. Cunning? Slytherin. Smart? Ravenclaw. None of the above? Hufflepuff. Do not get me wrong I completely understand why but still when it comes to talking about sorting people into houses it gets hard when alot of people dont know why people go into certain houses.

Why did Wormtail get into griffindor? He more lesser griffindor traits then anything else. He was the picture perfect brave griffindor but he had the other qualities.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Haley seems like a slytherin with those descriptions. She doesn't value honesty, as proven within the first 100 comics, and no true rogue values chivalry. And while shes not dumb, she isn't neccesarily super smart. Roy is Grffindor. Not really too ambitious, not oustandingly intelligent, and not any more or less honest than the next guy with 0 ranks in bluff. Elan, I agree goes into hufflepuff. See the very first post for explanation. Belkar is… hm, lets see… not honest, intelligent, ambitious or chivalrous. I'll just go with his intlligence score isn't high enough to know any wizard spells anyway. Vaarsuvius is ravenclaw. Anyone who has read even the first 50 comics should know.
    PbP games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Seven Adventurers of Chamar: Running

WW games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Careless Investigation: Running/Recruiting

Titles earned:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Follower of Lolth
    Cataloger of Silly Games
    Lolthdisciple
    The One Who Took The Cookies From The Cookie Jar

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

this is my guess
    and = gryffidor
    and =ravenclaw
    , and = hufflepuff
    ,, ,,(becuase greed is often regarded as evil),and you knew it = slytrin.

would likely take over hogwarts ,turn it into a prison in everything but name only and torture students for fun.
    Last edited by A random person; 2014-06-30 at 01:29 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm still not sure about the ranch dressing semi-elemental. I'm guessing it would be a hatstall and be allowed to choose its house.