1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Guild Thieves [IC]

Lilliana

Spoiler
    Show
    Crit Confirm: (1d20+1)[6]
    Crit Damage if needed: (1d4)[3]

Rolling with the blow to her shoulder, Lilliana twists her blade between her assailant's knuckles, scraping it across the bones in his fingers as she pulls it free. She spins, putting herself back into her usual stance, and letting out a small grunt as she watches the brute shrug off the poison that had coated it. Thinking quickly she flips the dagger into a reverse grip, then her hand flashes out, aiming the steel at her larger adversary's face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+1)[3]
    Damage: (1d4)[1]

Crit Confirm if needed: (1d20+1)[19]
    Crit Damage if needed: (1d4)[2]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Jared

"Yeah, yeah, I'm going." Jared stated, almost begrudgingly getting up. He almost laughed when the messenger declared his expectation. He'd been there, done that, and it wasn't a fun existence. Removing a single copper piece from within his tunic - he never kept his money where it could easily be snatched - he flicked it up into the air for the urchin to catch. "Don't spend it all in one place, now."

Adjusting himself, he cracked his knuckles and made sure his sap was to hand. Word was something big was going down tonight, and if Gerth wanted him there then it's likely someone had backed out, which meant this wasn't the run-of-the-mill job. Better be at his best. Forlornly glancing at his empty glass, he made to meet with Gerth.

3. - Top - End - #33

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: Lilliana
    Show
    The enemy simply bends his waist slightly, moving himself out of the dagger's path. The blade misses him by almost a palm. Fluidly, he recovers with a sidestep to the right, and throws another punch at Lilliana, this time with his right hand.
    The assassin exploits the attack to leave a deep gashing cut on the assailant's forearm, but, as with the previous injury, the brute simply seems to shrug it off. He lands his punch directly in the middle of Lilliana's chest.
    The impact is violent, and the woman's lungs are forcefully emptied, making her wheeze; Lilliana struggles to recover her balance after being almost lifted off of her feet by the raw strength of her assailant.
    The man grunts, as a copious amount of blood flies out of his injured forearm: it seems he is not immune to pain, after all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Brute - attack: (1d20+6)[25], damage (non-lethal): (1d3+4)[6].

Lilliana - attack of opportunity: (1d20+1)[15], damage [roll]1d4/roll] re-rolling in OOC.

Spoiler: Jared
    Show
    Jared quickly arrives at the warehouse where Gerth told him they would meet. After he knocks at the door, he is greeted by the inquisitive stare of Gulver, a fellow thug. Unlocking the entrance, he offers directions, and a word of warning:

"Last door on the right. Beware, he's had an argument with Arkul, and by the Prince, did that piss him off."

Jared can't say he is surprised: Arkul Darkeyes is notorious for his bad temper, and everyone knows that the two lieutenants don't like each other.
    The guild thug follows the hallway as directed, noting the usual crowd of workers and guild members.
    As soon as he enters the room, which is crammed with barrels on one side, and with various worktables on the other, he is addressed by Gerth.

"Jared. Come in."

The man is still wearing his iconic hat, and is leaning against one of the worktables, next to what seems to be some fancy clothes.
    He seems calm, as usual, and Jared would probably have no idea the thief had any reason to be angry, if not for the words from Gulver.
    Gerth points to the table that waits in the middle of the room. On it, there is a structure made with clay blocks - probably a model used to represent a building.

"Have a good look. Know the Lorast enclave? You're going there in two days."
    Last edited by Vetril; 2014-06-15 at 02:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Beholder

Jared

Sharing a quick handshake with Gulver, he nods his thanks for the tip before moving in.

"Eh, I know where it is." Jared commented, moving to get a look at the model. "Not done much business up that way. Who'm I workin' with?" He resists the urge to start touching the model, but only barely. "I di'n't know you've been doin' arts and crafts, I'd 'ave brought my oh-rih-gah-mees." The word is clearly unfamiliar to Jared, and he looks proud to have used something so clever.

"Am I on babysittin' duty, gone-south duty, or you want me grabbin' stuff?" The model doesn't make all that much sense to Jared. He's not dense, but all of this planning seemed over the top, even for a job as big as house Lorast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Probably not clear:

Babysittin' duty: keeping an eye on others' backs.
    Gone-south duty: muscle to weigh in if things go wrong and get others out of trouble.
    Grabbin' stuff: grabbin' stuff.

5. - Top - End - #35

WolfInSheepsClothing

Show
    Gerth's eyebrows go up, as he thinks of a way to explain everything.

"Well, you're not exactly going inside the enclave."

The lieutenant's fingers tap on his knee, as he continues.

"Let's say you're there to ensure the way, on the outer side of the walls, is open. You're additional insurance that we're getting everyone out of there. Look there - oh, what the heck."

The middle aged man stands up and approaches the map. He points halfway through the miniature wall that runs around the enclave reproduction.

"Two days from now, this is where the others - and they are a nice group: there's six of them, but there might be more; anyway, this is the way they are going to leave the scene. You are going to keep complications away from the exit door, and lead the group to safety."

Gerth looks up, directly at Jared's face.

"You know the alley that goes down the left side of the Straight Gate? Where there are all those stonemasons workshops? We have a hideout there - a laboratory with a door painted green. When the rest of the group leaves, you lead them there. Furthermore, you provide a change of clothes - so six, plus one or two extras, just in case. They will be wearing colored costumes like those" - he shows Jared those decorated clothes lying on the tables - "but they will need to disappear quickly."

The thief raises a finger to underline his words:

"Don't tell anyone else where you are going - expecially Arkul, for Lord Staritros' beard. He's got a damn big mouth, and if word gets out, we risk finding the Watch there, waiting for us."

6. - Top - End - #36

Mutt

Spoiler
    Show

Mutt will ask around at the thieves' safehouse about the horse-riding servant of the pyromancers.
    The Good Reverend
    Just call me PPR, no need to type the whole thing.

7. - Top - End - #37

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: Mutt
    Show
    Dithas is the name of the smuggler that sells the thunderstone to Mutt; he is a fat, middle aged man wearing old fashioned moustache. He is more than happy to gossip about what he heard: as loyal to the Guild as he is, Dithas still likes to talk, and will take whatever rumor his customers can offer, to chew on it later.

"The messenger? Oh, right! That one - some of them fire wizards went down in the Dark to look for someone. Don't know who, but you bet your dog it ain't no common felon, no, no. So, ehhh, guess they didn't come out... Or came out in pieces, ihih."

The smuggler's laugh is viscid and unpleasant to the ears.

"Serves em right for being so nosy, I say! Can't even trade without them pyromancers breathing down on you. Good riddance!"

He packs the inscribed stone, making a tight bundle, and hands it to Mutt, together with the less esoteric equipment, and a few more words:

"Careful with that - bump it into something, and it might even blow up. Powerful stuff... You planning to do something special? Got some rare stuff in your hands? You can sell to me - I'll pay you a good price!"
    Last edited by Vetril; 2014-06-18 at 04:45 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Beholder

Jared
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Local - (1d20)[17] - Checking if Jared knows about "the alley that goes down the left side of the Straight Gate? Where there are all those stonemasons workshops?". I can't access my character sheet at work, so please check it for the relevant modifier to the roll.

"Easy enough." Jared shrugs. "Got any outfits in mind, or want me to source 'em?" Two days was a long time to be doing nothing. A lot can happen in two days, and he knew better than tempting himself by staying idle.

Sounded to him like everyone else was going to be having all the fun.

"What's my cut?" he added, almost nonchalantly. There was no point beating around the bush, and he had no illusion that the guild was a charity.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

William

I wonder what that religious procession is about. Is it worth checking out? Not if it means delaying my beer. All that I ask of the god of Law is that he take no more notice of my activities than I do of his.

William proceeds to the Dancing Maid, there to get a mug from which his own handsome mug can drink.

10. - Top - End - #40

WolfInSheepsClothing

Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jared knows that specific alley, and knows that there is a Guild safehouse that matches Gerth's description. It's rarely used because of its unlucky position, but it's relatively close to the enclave - even though it's not the closest.
    Jared himself has been in the area a couple of times during the last month.

Gerth shrugs at Jared's question.

"Just bring some common clothes - whatever you can find, as long as they won't make you stick out on the streets. Once we're done, you all can wear like the Prince, for what I care."

The lieutenant laughs at Jared's direct question.

"You know, you're the first one to ask. The others were quick to accept once they learnt they'd be working for the head of the Guild."

Gerth waves his hand, as if the matter was ultimately not worth of his attention.

"The group is getting a bag of three hundred gold crowns for this risky business; mind you, you'll only get the gold if you and the others can retrieve what the Guildmaster himself asked for: everyone does his part, and the reward's going to be waiting at the hideout. How you divide the money is up to you."

The middle aged thief pauses, before adding, as if it was an afterthought:

"Of course, you also get a chance to impress Shand Malry: he's the one who has organized this thing. Good incentive not to screw up, eh?"

Spoiler: William
    Show
    William arrives at the Dancing Maid without any problems. As he enters the crowded tavern, the smell of burnt meat, sweat, and cheap ale reaches him. There is so much people that it will be difficult to find a place to sit in peace. At the bar, a waitress is quick to provide the aforementioned mug, filled with a liquid so transparent that it can barely be called alcoholic. The price is very real, however: four pieces of copper, and anyone who has something to say about it, can speak with the burly bouncer that keeps a semblance of order in the common room.
    Last edited by Vetril; 2014-06-19 at 08:28 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Beholder

Jared

"Aye, easy enough." Jared nodded in response to the suggestion about clothing, his interest noticeably piqued at the mention of gold. "They might be happy to do work pro gratis, but gratitude doesn't put food in my belly." He smiles a toothy grin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Jared know who Shand Malry is? If necessary, feel free to do relevant Knowledge rolls for me.

"I ain't screwed up yet, 'ave I? Job's a job. Got anyfin' you need me for 'till then, or am I off my leash?"
    Last edited by Amanil; 2014-06-19 at 08:53 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

William

This tavern sucks. I ought to find a new hangout.

Still, as he drinks what the bartender calls a drink, he looks around at the other patrons, calculating. I could pick his pocket easily ... but it's hardly worth the effort. Hmm, now she's kind of cute ... Maybe I will return here. Tomorrow I need to be ready.

After finishing the swill, he heads home.

13. - Top - End - #43

WolfInSheepsClothing

Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty much everyone has heard of Shand Malry in the Last City - the average citizen might not know his name or his face, but they know there is a thieves guild, and that the guild master is one of the most influent men in Koros.

Jared, being a regular member of the Guild, has even spoken with Shand Malry: the guy can be approached, but you better not waste his time, expecially if Arkul is around. See the previous posts for a description and an image of the Guild master.

Gerth nods.

"You're free to tend to your business - just show up in time, two days from now."

From the liuetenant's behaviour, it's obvious that he considers this conversation closed. He starts to gather the clay blocks, putting them into a basket made of wicker.

Show
    The thief arrives to the small hideout he calls home. The night passes without any particular incident, and dawn arrives with the usual increment of noise: the streets of the Slums start to fill once again with the poors of the Last City, as they prepare to live another day of their bleak existance.

Spoiler
    Show
    I assumed you wanted to FF to the next day.
    Last edited by Vetril; 2014-06-20 at 01:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Beholder

Jared

Jared simply nods and heads out. He wasn't one for long greetings and goodbyes, and he had all he needed to know.

There wasn't all that much that needed doing between now and the job starting, so best he could do was continue to scratch out a living.

A tankard of ale would help him mull over Gerth's words, so he headed for another of his usual haunts - whichever tavern, inn or alehouse his feet took him to.

15. - Top - End - #45

WolfInSheepsClothing

Days later, the stage is ready to host the actors.
    The weather is perfect - and how else could it be, when House Lorast is involved?
    As the sun crawls lower and lower in the sky, the preparations are completed. When night comes, a crowd of nobles reaches the enclave: at first, just a trickle, two or three at a time. As times passes, a waning moon raises in the sky; the guests start to arrive in groups, carried by coaches. They celebrate their status with their fashionable clothes, well before they have reached the place where they will pass the night.
    The enclave itself is a wonder to behold: each window of the palace emits a stream of light, which illuminates the rich gardens that surround the building.
    The iron gates are open wide, and guards in costume check the invitations of the guests. A distant sound of music can be heard from the street, and the shadows of dancers are projected through the stained multicolored glasses that decorate the higher floors of the enclave.

At the corner of a lateral street, standing within the shadows projected by a tree. As a group starts to form around him, he puts on the hat that he had been keeping in his hands.
    Last edited by Vetril; 2014-06-22 at 05:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Beholder

Spoiler
    Show
    I just realised I never claimed a colour! Orange, purple and green seem to be taken so far, so I guess I'll grab Fire Brick.

Jared

"You're late," Jared stated as the group formed. They weren't, he just enjoyed sowing that seed of uncertainty. Eyeing the gay apparel, Jared could do little but smirk. "Very fancy, m'lord." He mocked a curtsey and a high-pitched voice.

"You want me for anything, or you got it all sorted?"

Spoiler: DM
    Show
    Jared's preparations over the past couple of days:

• Acquiring some non-descript outfits - preferably ones with large cloaks or heavy coats so as to be better concealed (or whatever the locals wear). They'd be tied loosely into sets with cord and carried by him in a sack - nothing illegal about "taking some 'and-me-downs home for the missus - she's a seamstress, respectable job - to put together something without holes in for the little'uns."
    • Walking the route to the hideout a few times - never stopping at it, always walking past and arriving at a destination further along, such as a tavern or whatever. Basically, familiarising himself with the route without alerting anyone tailing him about the hideout. Ideally he'd know a few alternatives, such as alleyways and the like.
    • During the previous evening, getting a feel for the level of activity along the route - are there any hotspots on the way, where there are plenty of people, or was it clear sailing?
    • If at all possible, acquiring an Oil of Grease (i.e. a flask that, when broken, casts the spell Grease). If such an item does not exist, or may raise eyebrows in obtaining (presumably at least someone in the thieves' guild is capable of making potions), then don't worry about it.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

William is nervous, but tries to hide it. The mask should help with that, though he has not donned it yet.

In the shadows, he turns the black outfit right side out and slips it on.

He nods in greeting at the gathering group, looking for Lilliana. She is crucial to my role today. If she somehow doesn't show, the plan is ruined.

18. - Top - End - #48

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lilliana is indeed there, waiting with the others. Everyone but Jared are wearing their costumes, their masks ready to be used.

Gerth counts the presents, and, when everyone is gathered, he gives the order.

"Let's move."

He walks down the street that borders the enclave walls. After twenty meters, a wooden door can clearly be seen. A lone guard is standing next to it, leaning against what seems to be a halberd. The middle aged thief addresses you.

"Wait here a moment. I'll talk with the guard."

Gerth goes ahead, and approaches the sentinel with confidence. They talk for a few moments, and a small bag changes hands. The lieutenant signals you to get closer; the guard unlocks the door, which opens with a creak.

"Get inside. You're on your own now"

As the group enters the gardens, the thieves can't help but notice the abundance of flowers and plants. The gardeners did an excellent work, sculpting the bushes into many different shapes. Some lamps, covered with metallic cylinders with holes that form geometric motifs, provide illumination. A path covered with gravel extends before the group, leading to the palace.

Show
    Still on the street, Gerth moves away from the guard to talk with Jared. He doesn't have much to say.

"Wait here. Follow the plan; good luck."

19. - Top - End - #49

Beholder

Spoiler: DM
    Show
    Jared

"Aye," Jared acknowledges, moving off to one side to find an appropriate vantage point. No doubt something would go wrong; something always did.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

William tells Lilliana (who has donned the cat mask) "Hey there Kitty. Who are you tonight? Stay close, I want people to leave us alone. Tanner, lead the way."

He glances around the garden, but doesn't spend much time looking at anything, trying to act as if it's nothing new to him, in case anyone's watching. But he does point out a couple of sculpted bushes to 'Kitty'.

Following the Tanner as his 'guard', he leads 'Kitty' to the palace and within.

21. - Top - End - #51

Mutt

Mutt strolls through the garden, looking around a lot but trying to act like he's enjoying the garden sculptures rather than casing the joint.

Best to get inside and see what's what. Gods how I wish Bruno were here.
    "Time to get inside. The party doesn't happen in the garden."

Spoiler
    Show

Spot check: (1d20)[4]. I think I had a +3ish modifier, but thetangledweb.net has been down for days.

Mutt saunters in towards the main hall.
    The Good Reverend

22. - Top - End - #52

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: Everyone but Jared
    Show
    Lilliana gives William a long stare, before she politely offers her arm to her thieving partner - an elegant bag held under the opposite arm. No word is spoken by her as you all start walking towards the palace. Is it an impression, or is Lilliana walking with a slight limp?
    Tanner preceeds you: he is already wearing his guard uniform.

"I have to say I am a little nervous", says Langdon, as you finally see how big it is: "There must be a lot of guards inside". A muffled laugh comes from under Ricky's mask.

The gravel is noisy under your steps; as you get closer to the building, the faint sounds of music grow in volume until you are able to clearly hear the music. Masked valets bow as you approach the main door, opening it for you.
    As you enter, the singing voices become a roar. The sight is breathtaking: a camera orchestra is gathered on the majestic stairs that lead to the upper floors. The ballroom is filled with groups of masked nobles.
    There is people talking, people drinking and eating, and people walking.
    Entertainers in costume wander among the guests, performing their arts for the enjoyment of whoever feels like watching their show.
    At the windows and up the stairs you can spot several guards: they are immediately recognizable, as they are all dressed like Tanner.
    It's an incredible mix of colors and shapes.

Another masked valet bows politely, before speaking to you.

"My lords, if you wish, you can sign the presence book - it's just down there".

He points to a ledger on the right, upon which a thick tome lies; next to it, there is a quill, a black pen, and a small bag of sand.

Show
    You can't help but notice many decorations made of what seems to be gold, expecially on the furniture. Without a closer inspection, it's difficult to tell if any specific object is merely plaqued, or made of pure gold. You also notice a few art objects - paintings and statues, mostly. There are also a few objects encrusted with gems - unfortunately, those are not small enough to carry without being noticed.

Show
    Gerth is quick to leave the scene: the thief walks down the street and quickly becomes just another citizen on his way to his house. Despite the hat, if Jared didn't know it was Gerth, he wouldn't give him a second look. A few moments later, the Guild lieutenant walks around a corner and disappears from sight.
    Weather is comfortable tonight; as Jared looks for a place where he can wait, he finds an alley nearby: there is an alcove leading to a door, where he could perhaps linger while staying in the dark. Further down the road, there is a large, thick bush of some kind of plant - white flowers are blooming all over it. The bush grows against the wall of the house of a merchant, if you've ever seen one. Looking down the opposite direction, Jared can see an iron gate, located on the other side of the road that borders the enclave. The gate bars the passage that leads to a courtyard.
    The guard that let the others in is back at his post, leaning against the pole of his weapon of choice. He has an unsure look on his face, from what you can see, and he is blatantly ignoring you - at least, for now.
    From where you are, you can hear distant music, and the sound of a crowd of people - unusual sounds that mix with the old, comforting noises of the urban night.

23. - Top - End - #53

Beholder

Jared

The best place to lurk is not one where you can't be seen, but one where if you're seen you won't be noticed. Jared made for the alley, walking a little further down it in order to get a feel for the area should he need to make an escape - a dead-end would be disastrous - then settled himself down in the alcove.

He messed up his hair and generally attempted to look scruffy - if anyone were to ask, he was a beggar simply seeking the shelter of the alcove.

From there, he waited.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

William

William ignores the valet with the presence book, and leads Lilliana into the room, and towards one of the entertainers. "Ooh, let's watch that guy, Kitty. He's almost worth his silver." When the man's routine is done, or in a couple of minutes in any case, he claps and moves on.

With 'Kitty' and Tanner in tow, he wanders around the room, making his way indirectly towards the stairs.

When they are close he puts his hand on Lilliana's back and says "I want to show you something, Kitty. This way." He motions for Tanner to lead the way up.

25. - Top - End - #55

Mutt

Mutt makes his way into the main hall, nodding at the other party goers in greeting but not really engaging in any conversation, instead being content with just looking around and listening to snatches of conversation as he passes by.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20+2)[12]
    Listen:(1d20+3)[14]
    The Good Reverend

26. - Top - End - #56

WolfInSheepsClothing

Show
    As Jared waits, he hears a rumbling sound coming from the street. It sounds like someone is riding a carriage at full speed, even though the street floor, made of stones, is not designed for such speed.
    Predictably, a crack soon echoes in the air, followed by a long moment of silence, and then a sudden stream of obscenities.
    The Guild thief can't see anything from where he is, without leaving the alcove, but he can clearly hear an angry man address someone:

"You good for nothing! You idiot! The money needed to fix the cart will be taken from your pay! You miserable fool! Pray it is not damaged, or I'll have your hide!"

The guard that is watching over the Enclave secondary entrance looks at something down the street with curiosity. After a moment, he walks off to have a look, exiting Jared's field of view.

Show
    The small group navigates through the ballroom without any problem; William and Lelliana occasionally recieve some looks from other guests, but no one addresses them directly.

The situation changes as soon as they start to walk up the stairs. A guard, dressed in the same uniform worn by Tanner, steps in the way, blocking the advance.

"I'm sorry, my lord and lady, but the upper floors are not open to the public - orders of Lord Daltranna."

Tanner coughs to draw the attention of the man, before he leans his head closer to the other's to whisper something: due to the necessity of being heard over the music, the voices, and through the masks, he can be clearly heard from a distance.

"He is Lord Victand! He has arrived less than one hour ago - please, don't... You know him, and I am going to be his escort for a few hours."

The guard listens to Tanner, before eyeing William and Lilliana. The mask hides his expression, but his tone of voice is neutral, not submissive.

"Lord Victand?" he asks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mutt lazily strolls around the ballroom, which is crowded by masked guests and performers working their art. From where he is, he can easily see his three companions walk up the stairs, until a guard intervenes to question their intents.
    More guards are looking downstairs from the balconies of the first floor. From their posture, most seem to be bored.
    As he keeps moving, Mutt can hear fragments of conversations all around him.

"...and then I told her, if you need more cutlery for your palace, there is this silversmith who is taking orders, but he only deals in large quantities. A stream of incredibly beautiful pieces comes out of his workshop - what? Oh, master Toral, that's his name, and..."

"...Wonderful event, isn't it? And the gardens! House Lorast has become increasingly influential lately, but I would have never imagined... And I heard they are going to serve a giant cake, commissioned days ago. It must have taken the best confectioner of the city to prepare something that big! Oh, I can't wait..."

"...lost in the Dark. Didn't you see all those pyromancers running around like mere commoners? We can probably take advantage of this and push forward our interests - if those men are not returning, then we can assume they are all dead, right? And so, it will be gone - for good! But..."

"...Just think, a mere commoner talking to me like that! I have to say, I was so surprised by the insolence that I wasn't even sure what to say. Luckily Nem handled the situation brilliantly. Scum and low life should be reminded of their inferior position, from time to time, don't you agree? My father once said..."

"...I'm told House Tarnith wasn't pleased, and rejected it all. Who knows what they think to accomplish with such an attitude... Yes, ashes. Some gems too, but you know how they are; always picky and difficult to satisfy. Many merchants would have given up trading with them years ago, but they pay well. I guess being a member of a High House has its merits, wouldn't you agree? Despite..."

"...Finally! You're late. Oh, nevermind. Let me introduce you my wife - Irellia, do you know Rakaard Quithana? He's been a good friend of mine since... Oh, since when we were little kids. He's one of the famous alchemists, would you believe th- You're too modest, my friend! Too modest. There's so few that can claim such expertise with all those wonderous things you and your assistants can produce. Irellia..."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

William

William tells the guard "Yes. I'm going to show Kitty here something. It could take a while if you know what I mean, and I do not want to be interrupted. I'd better not be. So if you know what's good for you, don't let anyone one else up."

ooc: Bluff (1d20+6)[25]

28. - Top - End - #58

Beholder

Jared

Complications. Always complications. Jared waited a moment for whatever initial hubbub occurred to die down, then moved quietly from his vantage point to get a better view of the nearby scene.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hiding and Moving Silently as relevant.

29. - Top - End - #59

WolfInSheepsClothing

Show
    You can feel Lilliana tense up at your side as the guard hesitates; it's just a moment, though, and the man promptly steps out of the way, allowing your group to freely pass. He offers a polite bow and some words of excuse.

"Of course, my lord. Forgive my excessive diffidence. I wish you and your lady a pleasant night."

Tanner starts climbing the starts once again, positioning himself a couple of meters ahead of you and your other companion. As you follow, Lilliana whispers something to your ear, but the exact words are lost in the noisy environment.

"... ...idiot."

The first floor of the Enclave is considerably less crowded. From the top of the stairs, you can see four guards, armed with sabers and crossbows; there is one for each of the balconies that look down to the ballroom. To your right, far in the distance, you can see a valet, darting away to execute some assignment: one moment and he is gone.
    The nearest watchman gives you a quick, uninterested glance, before he returns his attention to the crowd below.

Show
    William, Tanner and Liliana seem to have no problem with the guards: they walk upstairs and disappear from sight.
    The orchestra's music stops for a moment, but another piece soon echoes through the air. Some of the nobles start forming couples just in front of the grand staircases. It seems they are getting organized to dance together.
    Indeed, the music continues and many start dancing: each of the the couples dances alone, but they position theirselves to form various concentrical circles; every circle slowly spins in opposite directions, so that the adjacent ones never turn the same way. The complexity makes for a beautiful composition.
    Those that do not dance soon make way to the dancers by moving to the sides of the room, where they gather in small groups. It becomes obvious that anyone not stepping to the side with the others - and not dancing either - will look painfully out of place in the middle of the ballroom.

Show
    Spoiler: Hide / Move Silently
    Show
    Feel free to roll next time.

Hide: (1d20+6)[12]
    Move Silently: (1d20+6)[8]

Unfortunately, the obscenities don't cease anytime soon. As Jared peeks out of the alcove he is in, a disconcerting sight is revealed to his eyes: a giant cake, five stories tall, is precariously balanced upon a cart; said cart is sporting a broken wheel - the front left. A small man, is standing on the front right wheel, his feet passing through the lowest spokes. He dresses elegantly, but doesn't look like a noble, since his clothes are not richly decorated.
    The small man is the source of the powerful shouts; he is directing them at a much bigger person, who is holding the reins of the two horses that pulled the cart: the coachman is talking to the animals in a calming voice, but the two beasts seem still nervous.
    The guard is standing next to them, on the side of the road, looking quite stupid and surprised. Immediately, the smaller man lashes out at the member of the city watch:

"Don't just stand there picking your nose! Go find help! That cake costs more than what you earn in a year!"

The guard blinks for a moment, before reacting almost automatically.

"Uh, yes! I'm going, I'm going!"

In a hurry, he reaches the service door, and starts unlocking it, leaving the other two at their previous activities, cursing included.
    As Jared watches, the man that is handling the horses looks in the thief's direction for a moment - it seems he either doesn't spot him, standing in the dark, or doesn't think he is important: the coachman soon returns his attention to the two animals.
    Last edited by Vetril; 2014-07-11 at 04:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Mutt

Mutt moves to the side of the room, making way for the dancers. He slowly moves around the room, acting like he's trying to observe the dancing from all sides, but really he's more interested in making sure that no part of the room stays out of his sight for more than a few moments. The people NOT dancing are much more interesting than the dancers..
    The Good Reverend