New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Hunter [Base Class][Crossroads]

Sweet class. It's got a nice feel to it. It's alot like a more "in theme" ranger.

One thing I would like to suggest is perhaps a "suppressive" or "reactive" fire tactic. The idea is that you mark an area within your normal shooting range, maybe 10' or 20' circle and in that area, you threaten enemies who move with it or out of it AoO instead of your normal AoO area.

Perhaps, think of it being more "patience" versus "initiative" style hunting. Or perhaps a knee jerk reaction.
    Last edited by Almarck; 2014-10-18 at 01:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I made the blessing bonus +1 and made the rounds/day wis + (2 x level) . . .
    Bad call on the (2 x level).
    Assuming an average 3 - 4 encounters per day, where an encounter lasts between 3 - 5 rounds, by 7th level you're practically blessed all day long.
    You're not supposed to be blessed all day long before you can see your epic stage in the horizon (approx. level 15).
    I say revert back to (Wis + level) rounds per day.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thanks for the love!

Suppressing Fire
    I definitely like this idea, but I'm not certain exactly how to make it work, mechanically. I have a general idea, but I'm not sure if I want to just say they threaten an area that grows larger as they get better, if they want to threaten, like, a 5-ft radius, and gain the ability to threaten multiple ones, or even if I just wanna say they threaten a given square and then gain more squares, but they must be a contiguous shape.

Blessing
    Well, I went with wis+2xlevel because that's the duration rage gets, and that seemed like a pretty solid place to start off. Would reducing the base ability back down to wis+level and adding the extension into the 1st level bonus work?
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34

Kobold

Well, I'm thinking the threatened area should remain static, maybe a 3x3 area (I am unsure of that's 5', 10' or 15' square by D&D's/PF's rules, only that it's 15x15) to start off, unless they invest more into the feat. Because after all, the enemies are pretty much going to be aware the guy is targetting that area, unless he's stealthed or there's a choke point and they might work their way around it.

Supressive fire should be at earliest a 3rd level pick, instead of something the class is built around. Maybe require it requires sniping or volley to select it, referencing two different "schools" of patience versus faster reflexes.

Also, he main reason I suggested this also is to basically lock down enemies who take cover against ranged attacks, thinking that it's what a sniper or hunter would do. So, perhaps consider that when AoOing in this way, you ignore all but total cover, but not conealment.

But yeah, I do see the point. Difficult to really figure out how the tactic should be applied while making it fair, yet still true to the idea.
    Last edited by Almarck; 2014-10-19 at 11:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

For the Explosive Trap, do you want to add another one for a Shrapnel Trap, where there is a chance for piercing damage? It may be a bit complex, since I think there is a percentile thing as well with shrapnel damage, but I cannot remember how we dealt with it with my games.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the love!

Suppressing Fire
    I definitely like this idea, but I'm not certain exactly how to make it work, mechanically. I have a general idea, but I'm not sure if I want to just say they threaten an area that grows larger as they get better, if they want to threaten, like, a 5-ft radius, and gain the ability to threaten multiple ones, or even if I just wanna say they threaten a given square and then gain more squares, but they must be a contiguous shape.

Blessing
    Well, I went with wis+2xlevel because that's the duration rage gets, and that seemed like a pretty solid place to start off. Would reducing the base ability back down to wis+level and adding the extension into the 1st level bonus work?
    I'll leave you and Almarck to resolve Suppressing Fire.
    What I don't understand is what you mean by "adding the extension into the 1st level bonus". What do you refer to as "extension"?

7. - Top - End - #37

Suppressing Fire
    Hmm. I don't know if there is any sort of large square area in pf rules, though maybe you could do it with relatively small circle...
    I am definitely thinking this wouldn't be a first level thing, it's not the sort of thing I think one builds a class around.

Traps
    I am definitely going to have to rework traps a bit, it seems, but at the moment, the intent is that you can take the deadly traps tactic to deal piercing damage with any trap of yours. So, you'd be able to add shrapnel into your explosive trap, or spikes at the bottom of a pit trap, or, attach spikes to the falling/swinging object in a deadfall.

Blessed Hunter
    Regarding duration, the idea was that the base ability would have rounds/day=wis+level. If you pick it up at 1st, you'd get rounds/day=wis+(2xlevel).

I am considering the idea that was mentioned earlier, of changing the tactics levels from odd numbers to 1, 2, then even numbers, and having some abilities that scale when taken at 2nd. I've been working with that model on the warrior class I've been fiddling with, and it seems to be going pretty well. It would require some tweaking of how abilities scale, though...
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38

Kobold

Suppressing Fire
    Hmm. I don't know if there is any sort of large square area in pf rules, though maybe you could do it with relatively small circle...
    I am definitely thinking this wouldn't be a first level thing, it's not the sort of thing I think one builds a class around.
    Well, not a class, but I know some people who just love making AoOs. Consider perhaps that some feats or tactic selections expand the radius. Note that I only used 3x3 because I was unsure if that meant a 5' circle, a 10' circle, or a 15' circle as I wasn't sure if we're talking radius or diameter.

I am considering the idea that was mentioned earlier, of changing the tactics levels from odd numbers to 1, 2, then even numbers, and having some abilities that scale when taken at 2nd. I've been working with that model on the warrior class I've been fiddling with, and it seems to be going pretty well. It would require some tweaking of how abilities scale, though...
    That sounds interesting. Am I correct in guessing that tactics that scale when taken are basically the majority of the ones that don't have any prerequisites?
    Last edited by Almarck; 2014-10-20 at 01:57 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Okay, doodled up a rough draft for the covering fire tactics. Still haven't figured what the minimum level should be, though...

Spoiler: covering fire
    Show
    Covering Fire
    Prerequisites:
    Benefit: The hunter can use their ranged weapon to pressure distant targets. The hunter can use a ranged weapon designate a 5 foot radius circle within one range increment as a standard action. They must have a line of effect to all spaces in the area. They make make a single ranged attack against any creature within the area, and are considered to be 'covering' the area until the start of their next turn. Movement through the area they cover provokes attacks of opportunity as though they threatened all the spaces in the covered area, but they are not considered to be threatening the covered area for any other purposes. They must use the ranged weapon they used to designate the area to make these attacks.

• Wide Cover
      Prerequisites: Covering Fire
      Benefit: When laying down covering fire, the hunter may choose to cover a broader area at the expense of some accuracy. When designating the area to cover, the hunter can choose to extend the radius of the circle they cover by 5 feet. However, for every 5 feet the circle is expanded, the hunter takes a -1 penalty to attacks of opportunity until the start of their next turn.
      Special: This tactic can be selected multiple times. Each time after the first, the maximum radius of the circle is increased by 5 feet.
    • Doubled Cover
      Benefit: The hunter can split their attention and cover multiple areas. As part of the standard action to designate an area to cover, the hunter can choose to designate a second circle. This circle must meet all the requirements of a normal area to be covered. They can only make one attack as part of the covering action, but they cover all designated areas until the start of their next turn. When covering multiple areas, the hunter takes a penalty to attacks of opportunity equal to the number of areas covered, until the start of their next turn.
      Special: This tactic can be taken multiple times. Each time after the first, they may designate an additional area to cover.

I've also been working on the traps all day, but I just realized that I could probably disassemble some of the base ones into features...

New Tactical Arrangement
    Pretty much, yeah. In the warrior one, some have relatively weak prereq-free abilities and then you can grab a 2nd level one that steps it up in the direction you wanna go.
    Really, both models work, I just figure I should make them match.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Kobold

For clarification, add in that penalties to covering fire stack with each other in the main entry and that while you may designate areas that overlap such as say, using multiple "Double Cover"s to make a wall to stop an advancing horde, that only means you threaten the overlapping areas once, not multiple times.

Consider renaming "Double Cover", "Area Suppression"

Also, can you just imagine the kind of insane AoO speicifc build some kinds of hunters using these tactics would have? Dex based everything. You're only limited by your ammo capacity and AoO rating by that point.

Also, I am unsure of how to really help you on that, but I think perhaps spliting up the abilities that automatically scale from the ones that don't might actually make it easier to organize, perhaps if you want to consider altering the progression from there.

11. - Top - End - #41

Covering Fire
    Okay, I think I got the appropriate edits in there.
    Spoiler: covering fire
    Show
    Covering Fire
    Prerequisites:
    Benefit: The hunter can use their ranged weapon to pressure distant targets. The hunter can use a ranged weapon designate a 5 foot radius circle within one range increment as a standard action. They must have a line of effect to all spaces in the area. They make make a single ranged attack against any creature within the area, and are considered to be 'covering' the area until the start of their next turn. Movement through the area they cover provokes attacks of opportunity as though they threatened all the spaces in the covered area, but they are not considered to be threatening the covered area for any other purposes. They must use the ranged weapon they used to designate the area to make these attacks.

• Area Supression
      Benefit: The hunter can split their attention and cover multiple areas. As part of the standard action to designate an area to cover, the hunter can choose to designate a second circle. This circle must meet all the requirements of a normal area to be covered. They can only make one attack as part of the covering action, but they cover all designated areas until the start of their next turn. The hunter can cover overlapping areas with this ability, but cannot threaten any area more than once. When covering multiple areas, the hunter takes a penalty to attacks of opportunity equal to the number of areas covered, until the start of their next turn. The penalties to attacks of opportunity stack.
      Special: This tactic can be taken multiple times. Each time after the first, they may designate an additional area to cover.
    • Wide Cover
      Benefit: When laying down covering fire, the hunter may choose to cover a broader area at the expense of some accuracy. When designating the area to cover, the hunter can choose to extend the radius of the circle they cover by 5 feet. However, for every 5 feet the circle is expanded, the hunter takes a -1 penalty to attacks of opportunity until the start of their next turn. The penalties to attacks of opportunity stack.
      Special: This tactic can be selected multiple times. Each time after the first, the maximum radius of the circle is increased by 5 feet.

Traps
    Trap stuff ahoy!
    Spoiler: Traps!
    Show
    While most hunters track, chase, or ambush their prey, some hunters prefer to set traps and let the prey come to them. While there are many different varieties of trap, all hunter traps are built off the same basic trap. This basic trap can be made with simple, mundane, and easily scavenged materials. It occupies a single 5-foot square. It's triggered by a creature entering it's space. Its effects target the creature in it's space, and can be resisted with a successful reflex save. It can be set up on any kind of terrain, with one minute of work. There are many features a hunter can apply to the trap, and some of the features modify the traits of the basic trap. Those that do will explain any changes in their descriptions. The hunter can apply any trap feature they know to any trap they set up as part of the action to set up the trap. All trap features apply their effects at the same time.
    A hunter's trap is a challenge to avoid. The reflex saving throw to avoid the effects of a hunter's trap, the perception DC to notice a hunter's trap, and the disable device DC to disarm a hunter's trap, are all equal to 10 + 1/2 the hunters class level + their Intelligence modifier. A hunter's trap has hit points equal to 1/2 the hunter's level. A hunter trap's DC is reduced by 1 for every full day that passes after the trap was set.

Trap
    Requirements: None
    Materials: None
    Area: 1 square
    Trigger: location
    Target: Trapped space
    Save: Reflex
    Terrain: Any
    Setup: 1 minute

Spoiler: Trap Features
    Show

Alarming
    Effects: The trap goes off loudly and distinctively, creating a clearly audible noise. The perception DC to hear the sound is 0 at the alarming trap, with modifiers applying as normal for distance or obstructions.
    Special: This feature can be applied more than once. Each time after the first, you can move the source of the alarm sound up to 30 feet from the trap.

Deadfall
    Materials: Heavy object or objects of size small or larger.
    Terrain: Must have strong overhead support.
    Effects: A large, heavy object is released, dropping down from overhead or swinging in from the side, slamming into the target. The target takes damage from the falling object as normal. The reflex DC to avoid a deadfall trap is reduced by 1 for every 10 feet the object falls, and the perception DC to notice the trap is reduced by 2 for every size category larger than small the object is.

Distracting
    Materials: Irritant
    Save: Fortitude
    Effects: The trap exposes the target to some infuriatingly distracting irritant, such as sneezing powder, poison ivy, or similar. The target takes a -2 penalty to concentration checks, initiative checks, perception checks, and reflex saves for one hour.
    Special: This feature can be applied more than once. Each time after the first, the penalty inflicted increases by 2.

Elemental
    Materials: See Text
    Effects: The trap is equipped with devastating elemental power. When the trap goes off, the target takes energy damage equal to 1d6 + ½ the hunter's level. This energy damage can be acid, cold, electricity, fire, negative, or positive. An elemental trap require alchemical substances or some physical substances, like flammable alcohol, a vial of acid, or a bottle of holy water.
    Special: This feature can be applied more than once. Each time after the first, the damage increase by 1d6. This damage can of they same energy type or a different type.

• Lingering
      Requirements: Elemental
      Materials: See Deadly
      Effects: The trap's elemental damage lingers on the target, continuing to cause pain after the trap has sprung. Select one type of energy damage dealt by the trap. The target suffers the lingering effects from that energy, taking 1d6 points of that energy damage at the start of their turn for 1d4 rounds. The target may attempt a new reflex save against the trap's DC as a full-round action to end this damage early.
      Special: This feature can be applied more than once. Each time after the first, the hunter must choose to apply this to a new type of energy damage, or increase the die sizes of the lingering energy damage and the duration by 1.

Expanded
    Area:5 ft radius circle
    Setup: 10 minutes.
    Effects: The trap's effects cover a larger area. When setting up an expanded trap, chose one space in the area. That space is the trigger for the trap. If the trap is tripped, all creatures in the area may save to avoid the trap's effects.
    Special: This feature can be applied more than once. Each time after the first, the radius of the expanded trap's effect increases by 5 feet.

Marking
    Materials: Dye and/or odorous material
    Effects: The trap spays or marks the target with a dye or foul-smelling marker. The dye will wear off in a few days or wash off with a vigorous scrubbing. The scent marker does not wash off easily, and is treated as a strong scent for the purposes of the scent ability and reduces the DC to track a marked creature by scent by 4.

Pit
    Terrain: Existing pit or drop-off
    Effects: The ground opens beneath the target's feet, sending them plummeting into a pit. The target takes falling damage as normal and ends up in the pit. The trap consists of the false surface over the pit or drop-off, rather than the fall itself. The pit can be a natural occurrence, or it can be created with magic or even dug by hand. An average hunter can dig a 5 foot wide and 5 foot deep pit by hand in one hour.

Remote
    Trigger: Location, 1 designated square within 30 feet
    Effects: The trap triggers a remote location. The hunter designates a trigger space within 30 feet of the trap. There must be a line of effect between the trap and the trigger space. A creature entering the trigger space activate the trap's effects. Entering the trap's space has no effect. The hunter, or anyone aware of the trigger, can use a standard action to trigger the trap from any square adjacent to the trigger. This action can be readied.
    Special: This feature can be applied more than once. Each time after first, the trap's trigger can be placed up to 30 additional feet away.

• Chain
      Trigger: See remote
      Effects: The trap is wired with another, allowing one trigger to set off multiple effects. A chain trap can be placed on another hunter trap or trap's trigger space. More than one chain trap can share a trigger space.

Resetting
    Effects: The trap remains in place after being triggered, and can be reset by the hunter as a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

• Automatic
      Requirements: Resetting
      Effects: One minute after being triggered, the trap automatically resets itself. An automatically resetting trap that requires special materials must be created with the materials necessary to create it after each use.
      Special: This feature can be applied multiple times. Each time after the first, the duration before the automatic trap resets is reduced by 1 round.

Snare
    Effects: A snare trap seizes it's target and anchors them in place with a loop of rope, a spring trap, a net, or an adhesive. The target is entangled and cannot move out of the trap's space until they free themselves. They can make an escape artist or strength check against the trap's save DC as a full round action to slip or break free. A snare trap can hold a medium or smaller creature.
    Special: Each application of the Expanded feature increases the maximum size of the creature this trap can hold.

Striking
    Materials: See text
    Save: Attack Roll
    Effects: A melee weapon of some sort springs out to strike the target. The trap makes an attack roll with an attack bonus equal to the hunter's base attack bonus plus their intelligence modifier. If successful, the trap deals physical damage equal to 1d8 + 1/2 the hunter's level. This damage can be bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing.
    Special: This feature can be applied more than once. Each time after the first, the damage dealt increases by 1d8. This damage can be the same

• Material
      Requirements: Striking
      Materials: 1 pound of special material
      Effects: The striking trap's attack is made of a special material, such as adamantine, silver, or cold iron. The trap's attack is treated as the material in question for overcoming damage reduction.
    • Poisoned
      Materials: See striking, plus poison
      Effects: The trap's weapon is coated in poison. The hunter may apply any contact or injury poison to the trap's weapons, forcing the target to make a fortitude save to resist the poison's effects as normal.
    • Ranged
      Target:1 square within 30 feet
      Effects: The trap fires a ranged weapon, hurling a blade, spike, or blunt round at a distant target. The trap makes an attack roll and deals damage as normal for a striking trap. The trap must have a line of effect on the target.
      Special: This feature can be applied more than once. Each time after the first, the trap's target can be up to an additional 30 feet away.

Swarming
    Materials: Swarm
    Effects: The trap releases a swarm of captured creatures into the target area. The swarm attacks all creatures within the area, and remains in the area for up to one round per hunter level. A swarm must be captured by the hunter, and is usually held in a small box, cage, or container. A captured swarm can only last through one day of such captivity before it becomes too weak to fight when released.

Trip
    Effects: The target catches their foot on a hidden tripline, stumbles over an unexpected ridge, or slips on an unexpectedly slippery patch of earth. They fall prone in the trap's space. A running or charging creature takes a -6 penalty to its save.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2014-10-21 at 04:01 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Editing nitpick

While many hunters track, chase, or ambush their prey, many hunters prefer to set traps and let the prey come to them.
    Perhaps it should be "most", then "many".

I will take another look at the changes later today for a better look, but nothing overt really pops out.

EDIT: I like this. The only thing I can think of is that the Distracting Trap should also penalize Concentration Checks, causing a potential for spell casting failure.
    Last edited by Mith; 2014-10-21 at 01:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

I'm definitely glad you like the new take on it! I made the suggested edits.
    Now all I have to do is rewrite the trapper tactics...
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

I like the new traps, honestly. I'm not sure how they affect the balance, but they do seem more... versatile, I suppose? They feel a little more mix-and-match than before, if that makes sense.

Pretty much the same thing for Covering Fire. It sounds nice and seems balanced, but playtesting will definitely be needed, given the complexity of this new mechanic.
    My Homebrew Projects

Crossroads: The New World - Tribes, colonists, trade confederacies, and empires both new and old collide in an alt-history North America, circa 1750 A.D. (On the road to publication!)

Author of Motor City Breakdown, Co-Author & Accuracy Consultant for Ashes of the Motor City
    Major Contributor, Tenebrous Seas Wiki

15. - Top - End - #45

Kobold

Well, Covering Fire should really require a full round action, I think. Since you're basically setting yourself up to do nothing else but AoOs, I think it's a fair trade and makes sense you give up your turn to focus on multi areas. Also consider that if you do this AoO control thing far enough, you'll already be facing having to deal with the inherent ranged penalties, since this style of controling the battlefield does work best with some distance between you and your enemies.

You also shouldn't be able to do it while threatened yourself and maybe require a minimum range to work appropriately, like you can't use it within an area of 30 ft.

By the way, I think since it also makes sense, wouldn't a 5 ft step also take AoOs? Or is that an acceptable break from reality?

16. - Top - End - #46

Covering Fire
    Okay, I tweaked covering fire a bit. First, it's a full-round action, as suggested. I made it so you don't technically threaten, you can just make attacks of opportunity as though you did, which also allowed me to make it so leaving a covered square doesn't provoke, entering one does (it's hard to get a shot off on a guy who's diving for cover). Also added a clause about ending your turn in a covered area provoking, since it doesn't really matter if you take 5 foot steps or tumble to that point, as long as you're exposed, you're gonna get shot. And, finally, added an ability to let you cover within an extra range increment.

Spoiler: Covering Fire
    Show
    Covering Fire
    Benefit: The hunter can use their ranged weapon to pressure distant targets. The hunter can use a ranged weapon to designate a 5 foot radius circle within one range increment as a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. They make make a single ranged attack against any creature within the area, and are considered to be 'covering' the area until the start of their next turn. Any space they do not have a line of effect and a line of sight to is not considered to be covered. The hunter can make attacks of opportunity with their ranged weapon against creatures in the covered area as though they threatened the area. Movement out of a covered square does not provoke attacks of opportunity, but movement into a covered square does, and any creature that the hunter is aware of that ends its turn in the covered area provokes an attack of opportunity. The hunter must make all attacks with the ranged weapon they used to designate the covered area.

• Area Suppression
      Benefit: The hunter can split their attention and cover multiple areas. As part of the standard action to designate an area to cover, the hunter can choose to designate a second circle. This circle must meet all the requirements of a normal area to be covered. They can only make one attack as part of the covering action, but they cover all designated areas until the start of their next turn. The hunter can cover overlapping areas with this ability, but cannot cover any area more than once. When covering multiple areas, the hunter takes a penalty to attacks of opportunity equal to the number of areas covered. The penalties to attacks of opportunity stack.
    • Distant Cover
      Benefit The hunter can cover more distant areas. The hunter can designate a covered area within two range increments. The hunter takes twice the normal range penalty on ranged attacks of opportunity.
      Special: This tactic can be selected multiple times. Each time after the first, the maximum range they can designate a covered area increases by one range increment.
    • Wide Cover
      Benefit: When laying down covering fire, the hunter may choose to cover a broader area at the expense of some accuracy. When designating the area to cover, the hunter can choose to extend the radius of the circle they cover by 5 feet. However, for every 5 feet the circle is expanded, the hunter takes a -1 penalty to attacks of opportunity until the start of their next turn. The penalties to attacks of opportunity stack.

Traps
    I figured mix-and-match would allow you to express all the possibilities that are inherent in traps.

Okay, I'm thinking rules-wise, the best bet is having the trapper ability allowing them to use the traps and allow them 1 trap feature per trap. 1st-level bonus would be auto-scaling to allow you to apply 1 trap feature plus one per 2 levels.
    Then there would be the classic scaling tactic allowing you to apply an extra feature.
    Maybe one that lets you add wis to the save/perception/disable device DCs.
    Perhaps a 'maximize' trap thing, that maximizes any variable numeric effects of your traps.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hate to nitpick, but you've left out weapon and armor proficiencies. Considering how much more common than usual guns are in Crossroads, this is nontrivial.

It does look good, though. Love being able to take or leave the animal companion.
    Get the reference in my name, or you have not lived.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by GaiTavMag View Post
    Hate to nitpick, but you've left out weapon and armor proficiencies. Considering how much more common than usual guns are in Crossroads, this is nontrivial.

It does look good, though. Love being able to take or leave the animal companion.
    Aww, man. Derp. I'll go fix. Simple, martial, and... I'll say light armor, though no armor is probably more simulationist.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show