Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corsairs OOC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Corsairs OOC

And here we are. Claim a speech color, repost your sheet and be sure to add your description and story to your sheet.

IC thread is here.

Setting stuff:
    The known continent is the kingdom of Tallos, the current king Vardran XIII, the young heir of the recently deceased Vardran XII.

Admiral Breighton is the military leader of the kingdom and has been for quite a while. His hair might be grey, but he shows no sign of stopping or weakness, strong in his convictions and if the stories are true, wholly uncompromising in seeing the crown's will done.

The five deities of the kingdom are:
    - Mercury, Maiden of Journeys. Her color is yellow and her portfolio includes travel, roads and messages.
    - Venus, Maiden of Serenity. Her color is light blue and her portfolio includes marriage, love, sexuality, joy and all other pleasures.
    - Mars, Maiden of Battles. Her color is red. Her portfolio encompasses all of battle, ranging from technology to logistics to specific battles.
    - Jupiter, Maiden of Secrets. Her color is green. Her portfolio is secrets, secretive and a secret.
    - Saturn, Maiden of Endings. Her color is violet. Her portfolio covers change and endings, whether it be the death of an animal or the fall of a kingdom.

Spoiler: Tiana modifiers (as of 05/30/2014)
    Show
    Abilities
    Str 16, Dex 19 (21), Con 14, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 19

Saves
    Fort +6
    Ref +9
    Will +2

Attacks
    Fortuna: +12 attack, 1d6+8 damage, 18-20/x2 crit
    Short bow +1: +11 attack, 1d6+1 damage, x3 crit

Skills
    Balance +13
    Bluff +12
    Climb +11
    Diplomacy +13
    Disable Device +11
    Escape Artist +11
    Gather Information +11
    Hide +13
    Listen +9
    Move Silently +13
    Open Lock +13
    Profession (sailor) +8
    Search +11
    Sense Motive +4
    Spot +5
    Swim +9
    Last edited by Ridai; 2014-05-30 at 07:38 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Corsairs OOC

Of course the color is blue

Tiana
    I tried to be normal once. Worst two minutes of my life.

Twitter: It's a small weapon, aimed indiscriminately at a viewership/readership that has mastered the art of over-reactive hyperventilation at the speed of light. - Ray Ratto

Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

For the sake of roleplaying, I'm going to write down the rules of liar's dice here, which is an actual game. We will not play out an entire session, as that would require WAY too many posts. This is just for the sake of being able to talk about the game and maneuvers ingame, for added flavor and illustration.

------

Liar's dice

This is a game of luck, deception and probability. Every player starts with five dice and a cup. After the first player is determined in whatever way, everyone rolls their dice in their cups and slams them on the table, concealing them. Then, each player looks at their dice without showing the others. The first player then makes a bid, picking a quantity and face, for example "3 fours", which in this case means that you bid that there are at least 3 dice showing the face with 4 dots on the whole table, including your own dice. Then the next player can do one of three things:

1) Raise the bid: the player may bid a higher quantity of any face, or the same quantity of a higher face. So if the previous player bid "3 threes", the player can either bid, for example, "3 fours" (higher face), "4 fours" (higher quantiy, higher face) or "4 twos" (higher quantity, any face).

2) Call a bluff: If the player believes the last bid to be too high, he can call the bluff (usually by calling the bidder a liar). Everyone has to reveal their dice and if there are less dice with the matching face then was bidded on the table, the player calling the bluff wins, forcing the bidding player to discard a die. If there are matching dice equal or higher than the bid, the player calling a bluff on a valid bid has to discard a die.

3) Declare bid spot-on: If the player believes the last bid is exactly right, he can declare it spot-on. Everyone reveals their dice and if there are more or less dice of the matching face than was bidded, the player who declared the bid spot-on discards a die. However, if there is exactly the amount of dice with matching face as was bidded, everyone but the declaring player discards a die.
    (This is, naturally, the least likely to succeed, but Tiana has been notoriously successful in declaring spot-on bids, allowing her to sweep games a lot in the past)

The game continues until only one player has dice left and this one receives the pot.

4. - Top - End - #4

This game I can see how it works, although the version I am more familiar with has just two players, and each player bids on their own hand only. Once you think your opponent has overbid, you challenge.

Twitter: It's a small weapon, aimed indiscriminately at a viewership/readership that has mastered the art of over-reactive hyperventilation at the speed of light. - Ray Ratto

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, that is the individual hand variant (and then there are small rules variations for both versions as well), as opposed to the common hand version played right now.

In this setting, liar's dice is one of the most popular gambling games. The common hand version is preferred when groups up to 7 are involved (above that it just takes too long, especially since the player number goes from the lucky 7 to the infinite 8), the individual hand version is preferred for one-on-one, especially since it plays so quickly.

Also, having re-read the luck feats you took, how are you getting 6 rerolls? I count 2 from your class and 1 each from your feats. In addition, given the wording of the Lucky class feature, you can replace your two luck feats for those that require expending a luck reroll to activate. Lucky allows you to reroll pretty much all checks and your luck feats extend the amount of rerolls you get per day, so taking luck feats that allow you to reroll certain skill checks actually does nothing but give you +1 reroll per day. A good choice might be getting Unbelievable Luck for two rerolls and a +2 to your lowest save. Sorry I only noticed now.

edit: If you'd like more choices in terms of luck feats, look right here.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2014-05-26 at 11:50 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

I am away from my copy of Tiana right now, so I cant verify how I counted 6. Its likely a miscount though. I took a lot of luck feats to get those extra rerolls. I'll go over the other options later.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyway, let's just go with 6 for this session, we'll sort this out later.

8. - Top - End - #8

Away from sheet, so I have to guess on her bluff motive. I imagine I put 8 ranks in it, so +8 right there. Her CHA would be 18, +1 from leveling and +2 from a cloak, making 21 and +5. Youre giving me +6 from lucky, so it should be +19. If I have miscalculated, change it up

(1d20+19)[38] dice check

EDIT: Hmmm, should I spend one my luck re-rolls on that. Maybe not.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2014-05-26 at 12:13 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

You do not have a charisma cloak, so your base bluff modifier is +12, not +13. Regardless, you rolled a natural 19, which is more than enough.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    You do not have a charisma cloak, so your base bluff modifier is +12, not +13.
    I dont have a charisma cloak? Scandalous

Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    Regardless, you rolled a natural 19, which is more than enough.
    Thats why she's called Lucky

11. - Top - End - #11

(1d20+18)[34] dice check

12. - Top - End - #12

Before we go further, I checked on the feats. Both feats grant two luck re-rolls per day, and she has two from her base class. The reason I took the feats is more for the extra re-rolls.

13. - Top - End - #13

(1d20+18)[27] dice check for last game.

14. - Top - End - #14

spending a luck re-roll on that

(1d20+18)[29]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Where do you get the two rerolls from? Sly Fortune and Lucky Fingers both say one reroll, both on the site and in Complete Scoundrel. Unbelievable Luck is the only official feat granting two rerolls.

Also, you forgot to add your Charisma modifier to that reroll, so it is 33.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2014-05-27 at 03:03 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    FEATS
    Ambush feats and Luck feats are made for a class like the Daring Outlaw.
    But unfortunately those feats aren't very good. So I made them better!
    Lucky Fingers [Luck]
    The winds of fortune guide your hands when you most need luck.
    Benefit: You can expend one luck reroll as an immediate action to reroll a Dexterity check or a Disable Device, Open Lock, or Sleight of Hand check, keeping the better result. You gain two luck rerolls per day.

Sly Fortune [Luck]
    Your luck helps you find the right place to move to.
    Benefit: You can expend one luck reroll as an immediate action to reroll a Dexterity check, or a Hide, Move Silently, or Tumble check, keeping the better result. You gain two luck rerolls per day.
    From his rewrite of the class, and the feats

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh!

Ohhhhhh!

Goddamnit, I forgot the class had feat rewrites.

Everything is in order, move along, move along, just a scatterbrained DM here. Damn this cold.

edit: Those two feats also make a lot more sense now, adding that "take better roll" bit to the existing rerolls.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2014-05-27 at 07:06 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

That "take the better result" feature is a good thing too. So many of the other 3.5 feats that allow you a re-roll bind you to the second result.

19. - Top - End - #19

I found the perfect picture for Tiana, but I cant seem to post it here, or on my sheet. I get some message about the site having gone bankrupt. If you want to see it, google image "female pirate", its about the 11th row down, right in the middle. Shes even a red head.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

The way results show differs with screen resolution, if I remember correctly. Can you right-click the image in the Google search, select "Copy image URL" and post the URL here?

edit: Can you find the picture here?
    Last edited by Ridai; 2014-05-27 at 06:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

The one on the right is her.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

And here is your portrait (assuming you meant the one on the top-right).

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...ps79a5e4e5.png
    Last edited by Ridai; 2014-05-28 at 05:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Once again, your work is impeccable.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Which rapier is Tiana using?

edit: Also, with this game, I want to go with the way HP are more meant to be used as. HP are more a mixture of endurance and capacity to defend oneself from injury, with significant injury only happening when dropping below 0 HP. Similarly to pirate movies, you don't see the combatants taking slash after slash after slash, bleeding all over, with one of them keeling over at some point. The one getting dealt actual injury is usually immediately at a disadvantage and often loses soon after, but before that, there are a bunch of narrow misses, parries and whatnot.

Basically, losing HP in this game means that you get worn out and maybe take minor injuries along the way. Attacks that don't manage to overcome your AC are attacks Tiana was able to defend against without significant effort, whereas each attack that "hits" is a narrow miss, a battering strike that Tiana had to brace against but could still feel in her body. When she hits 0 HP, she takes an actual injury that ends the fight and might knock her out. These injuries might also stay with her until properly treated.

Also, since healing isn't exactly common and HP being more akin to endurance and such, Tiana has a means of recovery on her own. In addition to natural recovery (healing "lethal" damage during a night's rest, recovering all of it; healing "nonlethal" damage equal to her level each hour), she has Reserves, basically emergency energy and a whole lot of adrenaline she can draw on.

Tiana has a pool of reserve points equal to her maximum HP. During a short rest (5 minutes where she can unwind to some extend), she can expend reserve points on a 1:1 basis to heal damage. She recovers all reserve points during a long rest, much like with healing lethal damage.

Please write down your current reserve points next to your HP, in the nonlethal damage area of your sheet.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2014-05-29 at 06:55 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

The new one. Given I dont know its modifier yet, I will just roll with old values and let you make adjustments,

(1d20+11)[12] attack & (1d6+7)[9] damage

26. - Top - End - #26

4th use of luck

(1d20+11)[17] attack & (1d6+7)[10] damage

27. - Top - End - #27

I counted 4 rerolls, hide, move silent, initiative, first attack.

(1d20+15)[21] Bluff, feint
    (1d20+11)[19] attack & (1d6+8)[10] damage & (3d6)[11] sneak if feint works

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Hide and move silently didn't happen due to lack of ingame time. First reroll was during gambling, then the initiative, then the attack.

29. - Top - End - #29

Access to Tiana's sheet is spotty right now. I know her hide and move silently are +13, but what is her climb?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Her climb modifier is +11. Do note that the highest modifier does not necessarily mean the highest chance of success. It definitely depends on the circumstances.

Given how often access to your sheet seems to be difficult, I added a spoiler box to the first post of this thread, listing Tiana's ability scores, saves, attacks and skill modifiers. Please keep your sheet up to date regardless. Also, have you added the portrait to the sheet? I can't seem to see it.