New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Civ 5: GMR part 4 - Needs salt!

Welcome to a fourth Civ 5 Giant Multiplayer Robot thread!

Even though I did want to join one of the earlier games in these forums, I lacked the courage to even try because it required the use of Giant Multiplayer Robot. My reservations were in vain though, there's nothing difficult about it, and now I regret not joining. GMR is really easy to setup. (This just in case there's some else like me who would like to try, but knows nothing about Giant Multiplayer Robot.)

What I'm trying to set up here is an entertaining, spectator-friendly game. This means anyone reading the thread should be able to easily identify which player controls which civilization. I'm suggesting colour code based on civilization: I'm planning to play as Byzantium, therefore always using turquoise for my text when in character. (if this is a bad idea, let me know!) (that idea was not that good after all.) Politics, scheming and drama between nations encouraged, as long as it's in good OOC spirit. As usual, let's use this thread for all that, and remember to spoiler things not intended for everyone to see.

Set up:
    • Both expansions, Gods&Kings and Brave New World. No mods, no DLCs. (check here which civs are DLC only)
    • To differentiate the game from the first three GITP GMR games, the map type will be Pangaea.
    • World size: Large
    • Game pace: Fast.
    • Turn timer set to 24 hours
    • Social policy and unit upgrade saving allowed, otherwise standard rules.
    • All victory conditions available.

Game started!

Turn order:
    thirsting - Byzantium
    Closet Skeleton - Persia
    Illven (previously Driderman) - Maya
    OrcusMcP - Morocco
    Luzahn - Rome
    The_Snark - Carthage
    Dhavaer - China
    banthesun - India
    Last edited by thirsting; 2015-03-07 at 08:32 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5: GMR part 4 - Needs salt, and players!

I'd like to join as good old China, although as I'm already in another game I'm happy to bow out if there is a lot of other interest.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm the same; interested, but in two games already. I'll play if there isn't enough interest by new players. I'd probably be wanting to play the Inca.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-05-26 at 08:42 AM.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

4. - Top - End - #4

I can be on hand to play as Morocco! I'll have to double check how GMR works with Mac, since last time I looked it wasn't as automatic as it would be if I was on PC.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    I'm the same; interested, but in two games already. I'll play if there isn't enough interest by new players. I'd probably be wanting to play the Inca.
    Have you increased your game limit beyond what's available for free? Because otherwise you are stuck with your two older games. And Incans unfortunately are a DLC civ.

Here's a list of all the civs. If it says "DLC" after the name, I have to reject that choice.

Edit: I hope this didn't sound like I'm rejecting you, Luzahn. Just your nation of choice, out of necessity.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-05-26 at 04:42 PM.
    Well that was awkward.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, missed the DLC civs bit. Noted.

I'll be looking forward to you guys starting the game, then. Should be fun on the spectating side for once.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm interested, although since I'm already at my 5-game limit I'll wait on donating for additional slots (although I'm probably going to need a couple for Beyond Earth regardless) until I know if there's room for me.

8. - Top - End - #8

I'll send links to you two, too, just in case. Join if you feel like it, as I don't think room is going to be a problem...
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-05-26 at 04:43 PM.
    Well that was awkward.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It doesn't look like it, no. I got me some more slots, I think I'd like to play the Mayans.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

...Ok, more slots it is.

Hm...which non-DLC civs are fun...Ooh, they upgraded Japan's racial? I should play them sometime we're not on Pangaea. I love aquatic civs.

I think I will go with Rome.

So let's see, is Byzantium a long-lost brother, or filthy rebels?
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-05-27 at 03:33 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

I wanted to play Inca too. Or Denmark but they're also DLC only.

I'll play as

Venice, Germany or Iroquois.

Which isn't a choice.

A game with China, Rome and Byzantium would feel weird without a Persia in there somewhere. Or I could play Russia as the Third Rome or Austria as the Holy Roman Empire.

Which is 6 choices.

1. Venice
    2. Germany
    3. Iroquois
    4. Persia
    5. Russia
    6 Austria.

I rolled a 4. So its Persia then.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

As some advice, keep an eye on the victory conditions, we've had a bit of a foul-up in the first game due to the diplomatic victory getting accidentally deactivated.

So let's see, is Byzantium a long-lost brother, or filthy rebels?
    A filthy long-lost rebel brother.

13. - Top - End - #13

I think it's better to use secondary colour for Maya (teal), or it would be even harder to read than mine. Nevermind, Golden rod seems distinct enough. Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    As some advice, keep an eye on the victory conditions, we've had a bit of a foul-up in the first game due to the diplomatic victory getting accidentally deactivated.
    I'll try to pay extra attention, to prevent such surprises.

If no one else shows interest soon, I guess I'll start the game as soon as everyone has used their link.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-05-27 at 08:44 PM.
    Well that was awkward.

14. - Top - End - #14

Just as a point of curiosity, will there be AI civs as well, or is it player only?
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi, I've never played a Civ5 multiplayer before, but I am kinda interested (I did find vs AIs to be pretty dissapointing). I'm thinking of either playing India or the Netherlands, if anyone has preferences either way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    Just as a point of curiosity, will there be AI civs as well, or is it player only?
    There are enough of us now that we don't really need any computer players. And diplomacy is MUCH better between humans. Usually. Some city states are in, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by banthesun View Post
    Hi, I've never played a Civ5 multiplayer before, but I am kinda interested (I did find vs AIs to be pretty dissapointing). I'm thinking of either playing India or the Netherlands, if anyone has preferences either way.
    I'll send you a link in few hours, when I get home from work.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-05-27 at 10:25 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Luckily the guy who would have won by diplomatic victory in our other game is also the guy who failed at enabling it, so I can only blame myself for not already having won that game

As for AI civs I'm very much against the idea, since they're generally easy to conquer and/or abuse, which kinda upsets the initial balance of power. Get an AI neighbor and you'll have easy pickings neighbor that'll trade you all his gold, luxuries and cities as soon as he calculates that he's losing.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    Luckily the guy who would have won by diplomatic victory in our other game is also the guy who failed at enabling it, so I can only blame myself for not already having won that game

Look, "Operation: Nuke the crap out of the city-states" was all set up to deny you that win anyway. It wasn't a suicidal plan at all. Nope.

But yeah, AI players would really mess things up. Honestly, I'd even prefer that people not capitulate until the game is actually over, but I understand that you might want to free up a game slot if you're in no position to recover.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-05-27 at 12:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be interested in playing, if I can figure out how GMR works in time. Most likely as Carthage.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

You know I'd love to join you all in a LAN game sometimes. Usually I play pubs with some of my friends and we win ~90% of the times and stalemate ~5% of the times. We all play on Emperor or Immortal vs AI. Though usually we play 2v2s in LAN.

I'd love to be in a group without leavers! Hm... I think I replied to the other Civ5 thread on GitP before but I think it's closed now.

I can only play long games on the weekends though because I'm in training for the military.

My steam = mmk2me (I'll have to double check if that's the right account, will confirm tonight)

Aca
    *Waves from Aca*

Spoiler: Aca's Teams
    Show
    Main Leaders: Kirin, Pandora, RSonia

Secondary Leaders: Haku, Genbu, LMeta, Bastet, Lu Bu, Yamato, WuKong

Developing Teams: Andromeda, Amaterasu, Athena, BSonnia

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Look, "Operation: Nuke the crap out of the city-states" was all set up to deny you that win anyway. It wasn't a suicidal plan at all. Nope.
    And a faulty plan as well since the amount of votes required for Diplomatic Victory is dynamic and dependent on the number of city-states alive, as far as I remember. The best bet would probably have been to spend Portugal's vast amount of gold to remove my influence. But of course, moot point. Now it's The World War To End All World Wars, or Poland Can Into Space

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I'd be interested in playing, if I can figure out how GMR works in time. Most likely as Carthage.
    Its really simple so I'd just give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    Now it's The World War To End All World Wars, or Poland Can Into Space
    You shouldn't give away your plans in another thread. But on that note you still have a chance to make me an offer I can't refuse.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-05-27 at 04:49 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Look, it's tradition that we all make thinly veiled threats in the other Civ threads.

One concern I might have is player count; I know game three in particular runs a bit slowly due to its number of players. Being an island map doesn't help, but we may want to consider reducing the turn timer a bit, to speed things up.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-05-27 at 04:59 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Its really simple so I'd just give it a go.

You shouldn't give away your plans in another thread. But on that note you still have a chance to make me an offer I can't refuse.
    Hardly giving anything away, it's endgame and either Poland builds a spaceship or they get stopped by a war and the winner will be whoever has the most points at 2050. Assuming that particular victory condition is in, of course...

Anyway, concerning player numbers and timer, I find that around 6 players and a 24-hour timer tends to work fairly well so long as the players are ordered by timezone. It's hardly a perfect system but it allows for "streaks" if several are available to play at the same time, which is generally more likely.

25. - Top - End - #25

Time zones... Should have thought of that a bit earlier.

I'll try to reorganise turn order a bit before the game starts. Could everyone tell me where they live roughly? I think knowing which continent you are on is enough. Can be PM'd to me, if uncomfortable sharing otherwise. I'll also set the turn timer to 24 hours.

I already got OrcusMcP and Luzahn, both North Americans. I'm from Europe, and everyone else's profiles are a bit unhelpful.

Setting the map size for large.

And I think about 24 hours from now would be enough of a warning for the rest who have not signed in yet.'

Any objections to any of these? Is turn timer now okay at 24 hours?
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-05-27 at 08:33 PM.
    Well that was awkward.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5: GMR part 4 - Needs salt!

Eastern Australia here.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm Eastern Australia too. I'm generally available between 02:00-15:00 GMT, if that helps.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

28. - Top - End - #28

Alright, everyone has used their link now. Little bit of detective work revealed the areas the rest of you live in, so now we're ready!

Updated turn order on first page.

And I'll be late for work because of this! Aaargh! *rushes off*
    Well that was awkward.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Meh, I would have suggested a standard size map instead, due to the whole "number of religions dependent on map size" thing. Oh well.

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler: to Spectators
    Show
    4000 BC - Persopolis is founded.

A pretty good location with lots of potential for early production and a mountain for later. On the minus side, Ivory is kind of bad since the only thing that boosts them is the Goddess of the Hunt Pantheon and you only need one of them to unlock the ability to build a circus. 3 silver and 1 ivory would have been a lot better. I might also be a bit low on food for a while so will probably need to build a granary straight away before thinking about a shrine once pottery is unlocked.

I've started researching pottery, which will give me the option of going for either Stonehenge or the Great Library soon enough.

Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-05-28 at 05:43 AM.