New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5: GMR part 4 - Needs salt!

Want me to edit those three points plus addendum to the first post? I'm uncomfortable setting them as hard rules, but rather as sort of guidelines for gentlemanly interaction between players.
    Well that was awkward.

2. - Top - End - #62

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    Want me to edit those three points plus addendum to the first post? I'm uncomfortable setting them as hard rules, but rather as sort of guidelines for gentlemanly interaction between players.
    Yeah, that's pretty much the idea. People can/probably will still backstab other players, but having a baseline of interaction should at least let people know WHAT honour is being tarnished and what won't be forgotten.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, sorry about that everybody! I'll vacation mode as soon as I get the chance; previous places have unexpectedly lacked wifi access, and I focused on game 1 when I had the opportunity to play.

Y'know, because if I skip there, apocalyptic mad science is released/all of my guys run headlong into Shoshone fortifications.

Edit: Actually, I will have reliable internet from tonight onward, so I might just chance it. Any objections to that? I could soak the AI turns if others want to guarantee speed.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-06-06 at 03:10 AM.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

4. - Top - End - #64

I don't mind waiting, it doesn't really affect the overall length of this game in any noticeable way. Just good to know you are not away for weeks.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-06-06 at 04:41 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

5. - Top - End - #65

Marrakesh grew almost to bursting with the refugees found in the wilds, but they were hard working and al-Mansur was nothing if not generous. The scouts were reporting contact with some hostile tribes in the forests, with one particular tribe menacing a small state in the cold south, at the mouth of a mighty river. The city was called Milan.

With so many ravaging tribes nearby, al-Mansur thought it prudent to return the infantry from their ranging, to better defend the home city.

Screenshots will come within the next couple turns, worry not.

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

6. - Top - End - #66

Chased a thief. Bastard was out to steal our food. Tried to hide in some old ruins. Interrogated. After first finger, revealed where he came from. One of our boys recognised the place. Whole village of aggressive bastards. Marauders. After second finger, he could not tell more. Gave up after third.

The other group sent runner. Boy told they found a cache of weapons, made of wood and hide strings. Hide string weapons. Considered giving him a little beating for coming up with such nonsense.

(Sigh. Ancient ruins of disappointment.)
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-06-08 at 03:12 PM.
    Well that was awkward.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Legio I Roma continues to secure the borders of Rome, but so far no barbarian invaders have shown their faces. The land's emptiness is curious, and somewhat disturbing. Our scouts will soon embark on an expedition to seek out lost Imperial cities, with any luck more than the mere ruins discovered so far have survived.

Spoiler: To Spectators: A Map of Rome, Seat of Empire
    Show
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-06-09 at 05:49 AM.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

Our scouting party set off east after being trained. A century or so ago they came across a strange old man in a ruined city. They thought he was made at first, but then he taught us the secrets of the strange clay tablets he carried with him from the ruins. I did then decree that a suitable structure must be built to contain these wondrous tablets for our civilisation. The old man mysteriously disappeared after 7 days, 7 months and 7 years of being with our people, he will be remembered as a god.

After traveling north many miles from our capital, our brave soldiers entered a land of jungle. They soon came across a great mountain that billowed smoke high into the ground. Then they heard the gods speak to them that this would be the perfect place to train to move swiftly across the hills."

- Darius of Persia, 3340 BC
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-06-11 at 01:05 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

9. - Top - End - #69

After many years, Ibn Battuta returned from the 1st Great Scouting to deliver his first report to Al Mansur. The great traveller kneeled before the First Consul, gave the customary honours and began to report.

"Great Consul, our ranging has found that while the forests to our east are indeed rich and full of rivers, there are no more high civilizations aside form the Milanese. Passing through the forest, the scouts have come across a vast desert, not unlike the one to our north. With your command we will continue scouting."

10. - Top - End - #70

In 3220 BC, the nascent Persian civilisation hit a crisis. There simply wasn't enough food in the forests or the plains to support growth. Our brave scouts found cultural artefacts but none of the available policies were directly capable of producing food. We were forced to purchase grassland to the north and our great King Darius proclaimed that we would build turn to agriculture to support our nation. Our new policy of citizenship allowed us to produce a worker to begin this new project."
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

11. - Top - End - #71

The Great Consul was perplexed. While it was clear that the land was vast, it was just as clear that was resourceful. Were there no other nations? Could Morocco and Milan truly be the only advanced peoples?

The immediate vicinity of Marrakesh was starting to be developed, and the eternal thirst for adventure of the Moroccan people needed quenching. It would soon be time to start settling the frontiers, both along the northern coast and into the wooded interior.

12. - Top - End - #72

Apologies for picking large map instead of standard. :/

Scouts sent another runner. The group saw a ragtag band of people from a distance. Did not appear equipped for battle. Our boys did not dare to approach yet, in case they turn out to be hostile anyway. Good decision.

(tell me if this colour is too hard to read even outside spoiler boxes... and hello Bird of Purgatory/The_Snark!)
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-06-16 at 03:45 PM. Reason: revisionism
    Well that was awkward.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    Apologies for picking large map instead of standard. :/
    Large is fine, I'm just surprised I haven't met ANYONE aside from Milan so far, considering how wide I've already scouted. Lots room for a big Morocco!

14. - Top - End - #74

I just came to the edge of someone's territory without actually meeting them. Don't think they're Morocco though. Someone pale yellow? Maya or India maybe.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

India's green, believe. That's gotta be Driderman's Mayans.

16. - Top - End - #76

If you only saw the border rather than owned land, than yellow likely means India.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: To thirsting/Byzantium
    Show
    Good evening, strangers! We come from the lands of New Carthago to the far south, where the immortal Queen Dido rules with a fair hand; in her name we greet you. If this city here is your home, rest assured that we intend no harm and will be traveling on shortly. If not... then good evening to our fellow wanderers! From where do you hail? It would be our pleasure to exchange stories of the lands we have seen in our travels.

In the interest of neighborly courtesy, we feel we ought to inform you that we are being chased by the savage natives of this land. Should you wish to avoid them, flee east, or west, or north, but not south; should you wish to face them in battle, you might catch them off-guard while they cross the bogs, but know that there are more amassed on the far side of the river, hunkering in their crude palisades and venturing forth only to draw the blood of civilized folk.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Hi Luzahn!
    Show
    Wanna trade maps/talk territory?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

19. - Top - End - #79

Turns out it wasn't as yellow as I thought, just against plains.

Spoiler: to China
    Show
    Greetings! I see that you have also discovered the art of writing, might we trade embassies?

In 3040 BC, our first farm was established and our agriculture was greatly boosted, but it was not enough. If we are to truly become a great city and then a great nation we must grow further.

20. - Top - End - #80

The Great Consul was most surprised when the 1st Heavy Infantry returned from their ranging from the west. Thought to simply by a peninsula, the mapping had shown that the desert coast extended far to the west, and the northern waters were merely an inland sea.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: To Persia, from China
    Show
    That would be acceptable.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

22. - Top - End - #82

Spoiler: To Carthago (The_Snark)
    Show
    Greetings, people of New Carthago. We come from Byzantium Empire. Our beautiful and beloved Empress will want to hear from you and your ways. She has been looking for trading opportunities, but surrounding tribes are so very small and poor. Perhaps Carthagians have goods they are willing to part with in the future?

Unfortunately I cannot return the favour of revealing the location of our empire at this time. Dear Empress is concerned this information might find it's way to hostile spies. Personally I believe her greatness to be a wee bit on the paranoid side, but what can you do? We have been ordered to attract as little attention as possible to our dear home, for the time being.

However, if your group needs help getting rid of any savage pursuers, we are more than happy to help. There are several barbaric groups in the North East as well, I would not go that way with as few men as you have.

Spoiler: To Mayans (Driderman)
    Show
    Who are you people? You have strange features, and clothing. But it is good to finally see people out here who do not try to rob and murder us on sight. On behalf of our beloved and beautiful Byzantine Empress, we wish you good fortune on your travels. We will also offer you advice. There are several groups of barbaric marauders in North East, it might be wise to avoid going that way.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-06-17 at 11:11 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

To Thirsting:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We may not be trying to rob you, but we are the harbingers of your end nonetheless. Although, to be fair, it's going to be a while from now. Immortal Pacal, He Who Sees The End, greets you and would suggest that you stay away from the lands where we reside, west of here, so as not to impede the settling of the glorious cities of the Apocalypse.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: To Banthesun:
    Show
    You're playing India, correct? Greetings, and welcome to the Roman Empire. To be honest, we're not at our best at the moment. The Empire has faded somewhat. Although I don't remember your people as one of our vassal states...

And I'm afraid we would be of little help when it come to mapping the area, our armies have been busy with Barbarian incurions

-Caesar

25. - Top - End - #85

What's with all these stonemasons going through? Is she building another palace for herself?
    Didn't you hear? She's had "visions" again.
    Visions?
    Rumour is, she sees faces of dead people in stone walls. This time it was her mother's.
    Oh, for the love of gods.. So all these builders and stonemasons going through our gate are..?
    Yes, happily getting rich, building monuments for the spirit of her dead mother. Now, go back to guard your post and stop asking stupid questions!
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-06-19 at 03:03 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

26. - Top - End - #86

Spoiler: to spectators
    Show

Maybe Dhaevar has given you better pics than this, but here's Persia's knowledge of China.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: To Luzahn:
    Show
    Sorry to hear about your barbarian troubles, we will continue to focus our exploration on the area north of your territory for now.

Our achives have experienced significant corruption, but none of the recovered data so far seems to include history of interactions with your empire.

On the possibility of territory negotiations, how would you feel about having Ragusa serve as a buffer area between our civilisations?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

28. - Top - End - #88

Did anyone get skipped while GMR was malfunctioning? And if I have to revert turn, does it revert everyone's latest turn, or just the most recent player?
    Well that was awkward.

29. - Top - End - #89

I never got any kind of alert that it was my turn, so I don't think I got skipped, but that's assuming their auto-emails were working while everything else was not.

30. - Top - End - #90

Actually it seems like people in our game got to make their turns normally, according to Recent turns pages (unlike some people in game 5 who got skipped). So should be your turn now as normal, OrcusMcP.

I set the turn timer to three days, just in case there are further problems.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-06-20 at 04:19 PM.
    Well that was awkward.