New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dresden Codak: As beautiful as it is slow to update

And bi-weekly updates end for the next month. To be fair, he lasted far longer than I expected. Back in March, on page 2 of this thread, I said
    Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    If he's committed it's not much of a stretch, but Aaron has a history of promising something and then not following through. It starts out fine, then it falters, with all sorts of reasonable excuses so you can't really blame him, and then before long he's forgotten that he ever promised anything at all. It's an awesome comic, and I have no problem with waiting for updates, but I'm not getting my hopes up for bi-weekly updates until we get to like June or July and he's still doing it.
    He outlasted my prediction by 2 months. It's been awesome. He needs a break for a month to come back at things fresh. Can't blame a man for that, right? I certainly can't blame a guy for needing a break. I need one myself now and again. Then again, I also predicted that when he started to falter in his guarantees, there'd be all sorts of reasonable excuses so that you couldn't really blame him. Maybe having followed this guy and his work for as long as I have, I'm not being good enough about giving him the benefit of the doubt. I guess we'll find out.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

New page.

And some wardrobe changes.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    ...and her early childhood home.

I can't tell if it's also Balthazar's, "sort of safehouse in the woods," or not.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...and her early childhood home.

I can't tell if it's also Balthazar's, "sort of safehouse in the woods," or not.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You should get a cookie for spotting that.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler: New Page
    Show
    OoooKAY, THAT was totally unexpected.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Caspar's face goes from "weird" to "What." when viewed from angles other than the front.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    Caspar's face goes from "weird" to "What." when viewed from angles other than the front.
    She's a bit of a stand in for Ayn Rand (and resembles her some) or was when she first started. At this point she is very far away from that though in how she acts.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

So... what is she after? If it's just to get Kimiko out of the picture, then she's really bad at her job. My guess is some sort of knowledge or technology Kimiko has or can lead her to.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course we have to ask who she works for. Here is an idea, maybe though the real one is with Kim and she put a fake in her place. After all she IS Head of the Department of Distractions. A fake makes one heck of a good distraction.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

In case people forgot, they might want to check out the newspaper and see how it matches what Amon said. (Not surprising since he seemed to be the source.) And I love the way the "photograph" was photoshopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

So... what is she after? If it's just to get Kimiko out of the picture, then she's really bad at her job. My guess is some sort of knowledge or technology Kimiko has or can lead her to.
    Assuming you mean Casper, I didn't get the impression that she's after anything in particular. She seems mostly to just be playing the game. If she gets anything she can use, she'll take advantage of it, no matter where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Of course we have to ask who she works for. Here is an idea, maybe though the real one is with Kim and she put a fake in her place. After all she IS Head of the Department of Distractions. A fake makes one heck of a good distraction.
    That's the way I read the comic. I think the fake Asmodea already existed, though, since sne remained home and didn't even leave to go to the party. Also, at the party, Asmodea seemed to have shorter hair already. That way the real Asmodea could have adventures while the fake Asmodea did the boring stuff. I wouldn't rule out even a third of fourth Asmodea, actually. (You seem to have assumed that Ilorin Lorati was talking about Asmodea, while I assumed he/she meant Caspar, since the previous comments were about Caspar, not Asmodea.)

I don't know why you said, "Of course we have to ask who she works for," though. Why is that in doubt? I don't think it is. I think the real Asmodea is just someone who has rebellious inclinations and is frustrated with the current situation. There is a reason Amon told Father Abaddon to keep an eye on her.

She's a bit of a stand in for Ayn Rand (and resembles her some) or was when she first started. At this point she is very far away from that though in how she acts.
    I think she still acts like Ayn Rand in many ways. One way that's different is that Caspar honors someone other than herself, but if you think of Kusanagi as an ideal, rather than a person, then she becomes even more like Ayn Rand.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-10-30 at 02:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

New page and something very odd is going on here.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

The flashback was to the center-bottom panel on this page. And the pattern Kim drew was here.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Working theory: The symbol is more than just a calling card of whoever steals information. And they don't just steal documents. They've erased entire people from memory.
    You can always rely on the kindness of strangeness.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

The symbol where we last saw it.

Results are unclear.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

The construction of the symbol in that strip reminds me of the creation of alchemic circles in Fullmetal Alchemist. And FMA itself was based off of historic alchemical practices.

Hm.

Working theory: Dark Science is a development of alchemy.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Woot another new page.

Spoiler
    Show
    Memories being played with.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

And another.
    Spoiler
    Show
    what does Belphegor want her to doooooooooo

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

So... who's that officer person? Talks like she's familiar with Ross in some manner, and the thing about "influence points" sounds familiar.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    So... who's that officer person? Talks like she's familiar with Ross in some manner, and the thing about "influence points" sounds familiar.
    It's Vonnie, after accepting the job offer at the Department of Secrets from Belphegor.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Glad she isn't mad at Kim. Sad she thinks Kim might be mad at her though. Vonnie isn't a bad person.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    It's Vonnie, after accepting the job offer at the Department of Secrets from Belphegor.
    Right. Links: Belphegor recruiting Vonnie and the interview for the job.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

New Page

Spoiler
    Show
    Yvonne seems to have made a bit of a mistake.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I, um. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh? Who is that guy Yvonne freed?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Huh? Who is that guy Yvonne freed?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thomas Caspar. He's the one that tried to kill Kim by turning into a big monster.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Thomas Caspar. He's the one that tried to kill Kim by turning into a big monster.
    He also lost his arm thanks to grabbing Kim. Notice that he says the same thing to disappear. Also, he's Alisa Caspar's "idiot" son and Yovonne's predecessor in her new roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    And another.
    Spoiler
    Show
    what does Belphegor want her to doooooooooo
    I would guess that he wanted her to kill Thomas. She was reluctant so she stalled, I think. I'm not sure if she was really going to kill him or what was the point of cutting off the lock of hair.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

New Page

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok Board games named "Blood Farm", "Who Killed Marx" (Karl?), "Pointless Pastime" and "Hamilton’s Revenge" (I think)? Ooooookay.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

New comic

LOL What?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    LOL What?
    Spoiler: DISCUSSION!
    Show
    The ultimate in Impostor Syndrome is what. Some of his earliest appearances in this ark imply that he embraced the role fairly well, though possibly not without help.

And at the end of his life he certainly had some misgivings about the role he took on. It's not congruous with his statements here about arriving at the beginning, though.

Interestingly, while she's taken for granted as Kusanagi's daughter in some conversations, Melchior was not so convinced. Worth noting that he's considered her "so-called father" by Thomas Caspar/Leviathan as well.

Kim/Kaito apparently made his "greatest mistake" which is being repeated by Kim - showing up in the city? Searching for Dark Science? Breaking some sort of treaty?

Yeah, I still have no idea what's really happening. There's theories and now a bit of a timeline, but nothing conclusive.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The writer of DC knows how to play with our heads. That's what it is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nice post Mobius Twist. Kim's world or maybe WOLRDS are different than ours. The original world being closer that the world that the city exists in. Or it could be that parts of this story is told by a unreliable narrator (who does not know they are unreliable).