New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Dresden Codak: As beautiful as it is slow to update

Balthazar knows that many of the things that Kim says are wrong, so he has always been dubious of the things she says. I can't blame him for not trusting Kim's memories. Not only did she get many facts wrong in the trivia game, she remembers a birthplace that officially doesn't exist and she remembers the time colonist invasion that didn't happen as far as Balthazar knows. One thing that should have helped him trust her memories, though, was Kusangi mentioning someone named Serena, who matches Kim's memories of her mother, despite there being no public records to support the existence of such a person. I'm not even completely certain that we should believe Kim's memories, although I doubt Aaron is pulling a huge retcon on us.

I'm wondering how involved Vonnie will be. She's head of the Department of Secrets now and Kusangi's house is probably filled with illegal ones so I wouldn't be surprised if she claims jurisdiction.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

...yeah no. Given the way he behaves and talks on this page, I'd say he is completely off on everything he just said. Constructed a likely story from what he knows and then ran with it.

(Besides, the one with the cyber-fetish is the author, not Kim. )
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've kind of gotten the impression that Aaron Diaz thinks it's morally wrong to not have a cyber-fetish.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

You know, although I am not a complete trans-humanist (I believe that there is merit to the ideas and goal, but am skeptical about fully embracing them), I still find myself reading this comic thinking "If you can get a editor to work as a sound board and help with pacing and fore-shadowing, this could be a really fun comic." He has so many character whiplashes that I realize the only reason I really read this comic is because the art style is great and the update cycle is slow enough that it doesn't strain my level of investment to keep reading it.

If he too the time to develop characters more, (such as Lillith's apparent attraction to Kim, and perhaps Kim's own attractions if a bit restrained, as well as Balthazar own biases and being a bit shadier) then this storyline could work really well.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    ...yeah no. Given the way he behaves and talks on this page, I'd say he is completely off on everything he just said. Constructed a likely story from what he knows and then ran with it.
    Of course, he's wrong. The question was why he wouldn't automatically believe Kim's memories, rather than his theory. Much of what Kim "remembers" is wrong. It's not surprising that he wouldn't trust her memories.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    I've kind of gotten the impression that Aaron Diaz thinks it's morally wrong to not have a cyber-fetish.
    That reminds me of the good old smbc comic. Futurists believe cure for death is just short of their expected remaining years.

I think it's morally wrong to have a concept of a single unified morality.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

New page

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, Dad left her a super suit that looks like normal clothes. And we have evidence that what happened a few pages ago DID actuially happen.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

New page and some great bad guy lines. And a oh sheep did last panel.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Pixie in the Playground

A theory popped into my mind while reading through the entirety of "Dark Science" for the umpteenth time, specifically regarding to the overall timeline for both it and "Hob." The theory might be a bit of a stretch and it's been a few years since I've read "Hob," so I'm not sure how well it works with it.

My theory is that the course of events go as follows:

• "Hob" main storyline;
    • The future where Mother exists;
    • The war against Mother ("the last war");
    • The period that the time colonists travel from;
    • THEN 6000 years after "The Last War" (or "the old war"), the "Dark Science" main storyline.

Perhaps instead of destroying Mother, she was instead imprisoned. The time colonists themselves admit they're not entirely sure what exactly happened. The prison's silhouette is similar to Mother's.

Kaito discovers the prison, realizes the significance of the discovery in relation to his investigations into Dark Science, and decides to hide Mother outside of Nephilopolis. However, to keep her hidden, he implants false memories of the previous Kim Ross (as his abandoned daughter) as well as nonsense knowledge such as Lemuria, 12 planets, and a pirate president.

This theory would explain why Kim believes she's from Kent and her mother is Serena, while there are no records of either of them: They no longer exist. Further, the continents look significantly different because the time setting is so far into the future.

The theory isn't without it's flaws, particularly the contemporary references such as commonly known literature and people like Millard Fillmore. Such knowledge would surely fade away 6,000 plus years into the future, particularly considering how much the time colonists were confused about.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I dunno about Kimiko's incomplete memories of her family, but I figured the strange "facts" she knows are derived from an alternate perception of reality. Basically, the world is much bigger than normal people perceive. They only see the shadows against the wall of Plato's cave. Thanks to her father, Kimiko catches glimpses of something bigger. Dark Science. Hence that strange incident with the fallen Envy that Lilith didn't notice.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Update 68: Problem Solving

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking forward to some Legolas-on-Oliphaunts action.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder if she just might hack those robots Major (Ghost in the Shell) style. Kim seems to like taking the non violent way if she can.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

Update 69: Boxes, explanations, and more mystery.

And, oh yeah, there's giant robots.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Looks like someone's plans didn't turn out right. And new arrivals.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Looks like someone's plans didn't turn out right. And new arrivals.
    I'm not even sure who are they talking to? The city guards or the protagonist (I forget her name)?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Probably to Kim, (the protagonist), as a gloating villian.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

They aren't talking to the city guard, they are talking to Kim.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

But punctuate each statement with every panel that could be interpreted from protagonist's perspective. Her name was Kim Ross? Or Kim Kusanagi? I have her down as Moto-korra.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm pretty sure they were talking to Amon Hearthrow (assuming he hasn't completely fainted) and the police.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Legaly her name is Kim Kusanagi. But she goes by Kim Ross because she didn't like her dad and she uses her mother's last name. Of course we found out that Kusanagi's REAL name was Kim Young-Soo.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

New Page, New Site Set Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    That was... unesxpected. Why the &%%# are they helping Kim? I thought they were the bad guys (and girls).
    Last edited by HandofShadows; 2017-01-25 at 08:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

The Dark Scientists?

If I'm reading it right.

They're fighting the City.

The masquerades, the suppression... also, keeping them away from things they don't have the wisdom to handle...

Kim is part of that, now... and the DS's are going to put their version of a lid on her to keep the City from knowing what she does. Is. Can do.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2017-01-25 at 10:55 AM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    I'm not even sure who are they talking to? The city guards or the protagonist (I forget her name)?
    After recent comic:

Told ya
    Last edited by -D-; 2017-01-25 at 11:46 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    That seems to be my issue as well. The comic is absolutely wonderful, but the author keeps getting distracted and fails to update it. He keeps announcing new side projects, neglects the main comic to work on them, and then never finishes the side project. I seriously wonder how he could be earning enough to work on comics full-time and not produce anything. As nice as the art is on the comic, it should not take three months to make a single page.
    I totally agree with you on that.
    Play as an art of life.