New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Watch FMA: Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    It's not that bad...

(And if you think that's something, I know people who think the Nina arc was handled better in Brotherhood. And I can see their point, even if I'm undecided on whether that was true. It has to do with the role that you think that whole situation plays in the grand scope of things. Ultimately, the first show is much more small-scale.)
    Yeah, the way they handled it was fine, even if it did leave out Grand.

Speaking of him, the way they handled the Ishbalan Massacre flashback stuff was bad though. In Brotherhood, it's like "oh this bad thing happened so now this guy wants to kill us all". No emotion. No personal flashback for Mustang.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Doctor Marcoh isn't even tied to it at all.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-06-02 at 11:37 AM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

It's not that bad...

(And if you think that's something, I know people who think the Nina arc was handled better in Brotherhood. And I can see their point, even if I'm undecided on whether that was true. It has to do with the role that you think that whole situation plays in the grand scope of things. Ultimately, the first show is much more small-scale.)

RE: the cosplay--this is how we cope.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the thing the Nina arc has goong for it in Brotherhood is that it never really leaves the brothers or the plot, they even bring it up as a defining moment for them several times even as far late in the series as one of the very last pages in the manga proper.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Episode 6: "Road of Hope"

No watchthrough thoughts today.

Meditations and Musings

This episode was much more relaxed than the last two. We learn that a state alchemist who was researching the philosopher's stone ran off and became a small town doctor, and has another "imperfect" alchemical stone like the one that Father Cornello had, but in liquid form. Unfortunately, Lust found him. So the Sins, most likely, now know where Edward's going to go to start his research in creating the perfect version of the stone. They also have a 3 day head start. This means that, if they want, they can probably get there ahead of time and take everything useful out of the library, if they don't want Edward to succeed in creating the stone. Alternatively, maybe they intend for Edward to create the stone, and then use that stone for their own purposes, in which case they will leave the books untouched.

Winry and her grandmother are extraordinarily patient with Edward, even though on the surface their relationship looks really vitriolic. It must be hard for them, to have the Elric brothers leave and not make contact, and then just suddenly drop in. Alfonse seems to understand this, but I don't think Edward does. Oh, and remember that old List of Stuff that Will Become Important Later where I said that Winry was maybe a potential love interest for Edward? Having seen them interact some more, I don't think this is the case. Although Winry does love that arm. (After all, it is her masterpiece). Oh Geez. There's Winry/Edward's arm fanfiction, isn't there?

It's interesting that the Elric's decided to burn down their old house before they left. They know there's no going back for them. It very much fits with Edward's motto: "Keep moving forward".

And one last note: So far, Armstrong's decided to go shirtless at least once in every single episode he's appeared in, because Fanservice apparently.

Things to add to my List Of Stuff That Will Become Important Later:
    • We can assume that the sins now know everything about the philosopher's stone.
    • If the transmutation circle in the back of Alfonse's neck gets messed up, then that's bad news. This will probably happen eventually.
    • Edward's dad is out there somewhere. His motivations are unknown.
    • Edward's arm is missing a screw. After three all nighters it's surprising that there weren't any more mistakes.

And since it's the start of a new week, I think I'll post the entire LOSTWBIL:
    Spoiler: The Complete List of Things that Will be Important Later
    Show

• The philosophers stone, which may have allowed the Freezing Alchemist to do alchemy on a huge scale.
    • The woman with Gluttony as a minion. (I'll bet the other deadly sins turn up eventually). Lust, Gluttony, Envy and the other sins are up to stuff.
    • The psychopath (forgot his name/codename) who was visited in jail by the freezing alchemist. If prison security is bad enough that the first episode villain can break in, then we can count on that guy being able to just walk out whenever he wants. Why didn't he break out already? Why hasn't he been executed? What's his deal?
    • The Elric's alchemy teacher. Alfonse said that their teacher didn’t need the alchemical circles to use alchemy, so it’s possible that he experimented in human transmutation as well, or else that there's some other way to learn to do that. I'd guess if there is some other way it would require some sort of original research, since we've seen a bunch of powerful alchemists that still need circles.
    • Their childhood friend Winry. At a relatively young age, she was apparently able to make Edward a high quality prosthesis. I don't know how long exactly Ed's been a state approved alchemist (long enough to become face. A few years?) but it was probably long enough for her to become successful in her field. I might be jumping the gun a little bit, but she also seems like she might be a potential future love interest to Edward. She's already made one return appearance.
    • The demon they accidentally summoned.
    • Mr. World. I'm guessing this wasn't ver last appearance.
    • I'm not sure about this one, but I think there's room for Rose to appear in a later episode. I wonder how she's dealing with the new, fake Father Cornello.
    • The lesser philosopher's stone. It's not perfect, it can break and run out of power, but it still amplifies alchemy.
    • Edward's opinions on his encounter to Mr. World, given he doesn't believe in a deity?
    • The Elric symbol and the ouroboros symbol associated with the Theosophical Society, as well as similar symbols.
    • The weapon that MW Lust used to kill Father Cornello. Did she transmute a prosthetic arm to do that? Or was that just a glove? Oh dear, are her entire arms drenched in blood, and she used THAT as a weapon? That's a terrifying thought. I think it's probably the gloves, though.
    • Alfonse is more trusting then Edward, which may lead to him being betrayed at some point.
    • There's a religious alchemist hunting down people who try to play god (exclusively state alchemists)
    • The war earlier in this history was a civil war.
    • Envy is a shapeshifter. Look out for anyone acting suspicious.
    • The seven deadly sins need to sacrifice Edward for some reason.
    • The civil war probably didn't start from the stated reasons.
    • We can assume that the sins now know everything about the philosopher's stone.
    • If the transmutation circle in the back of Alfonse's neck gets messed up, then that's bad news. This will probably happen eventually.
    • Edward's dad is out there somewhere. His motivations are unknown.
    • Edward's arm is missing a screw. After three all nighters it's surprising that there weren't any more mistakes.

Last edited by Randomguy; 2014-06-24 at 06:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    And one last note: So far, Armstrong's decided to go shirtless at least once in every single episode he's appeared in, because Fanservice apparently.
    Fanservice?

* * * How dare you imply that an Armstrong would remove his shirt for mere fanservice! * * *

* * * These muscles have been passed down the Armstrong line for generations! Physical perfection sculpted onto a human form! * * *

* * * Look upon them and know true elegance and might! Let their power fill you! * * *

* * * An Armstrong does not remove his shirt for fanservice, but to inspire his comrades! * * *

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

I think it's really more meant as a running gag.
    Generaly the fangirls bait is Ed (gratuitous slash pairing with Mustang is optional)
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    I think it's really more meant as a running gag.
    Generaly the fangirls bait is Ed (gratuitous slash pairing with Mustang is optional)
    What? Who wants that pipsqueak? Really, Mustang is far more attractive. But even then, both are too Bishounen if you ask me. If I was into that kind of thing I'd actually prefer Bradley or Scar or so... Or, of course, Armstrong. Or later characters.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Winry is a borderline psychotically-skilled mechanic. There's no other possible explanation.

Also, TheSummoner's post was total awesomesauce there.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

And since it's the start of a new week, I think I'll post the entire LOSTWBIL:
    • The psychopath (forgot his name/codename) who was visited in jail by the freezing alchemist. If prison security is bad enough that the first episode villain can break in, then we can count on that guy being able to just walk out whenever he wants. Why didn't he break out already? Why hasn't he been executed? What's his deal?
    • The Elric's alchemy teacher. Alfonse said that their teacher didn’t need the alchemical circles to use alchemy, so it’s possible that he experimented in human transmutation as well, or else that there's some other way to learn to do that. I'd guess if there is some other way it would require some sort of original research, since we've seen a bunch of powerful alchemists that still need circles.
    The psychopath is one Solf J. Kimblee, aka The Crimson Alchemist. Though the spelling varies a bit between subs, as I've seen Zolf for the first name. Isaac McDougal (the ice-guy from episode 1) mentions it in passing.

As for the teacher, you'll see. I will say that you've made one small assumption that is wrong, though it's totally not spoiler-worthy.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2014-06-03 at 12:18 PM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    As for the teacher, you'll see. I will say that you've made one small assumption that is wrong, though it's totally not spoiler-worthy.
    I think it's going to lead to a fun reaction when the assumption is realized.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

@TheSummoner: I'm speechless.

The psychopath is one Solf J. Kimblee, aka The Crimson Alchemist. Though the spelling varies a bit between subs, as I've seen Zolf for the first name. Isaac McDougal (the ice-guy from episode 1) mentions it in passing.
    Thanks for the name! It's more convenient when people in the thread mention them, this way I don't have to risk spoilers by looking them up (or spend a lot of time rewatching stuff until I hear the name again).

I think it's going to lead to a fun reaction when the assumption is realized.
    I don't know whether to be excited or terrified. I'll go with excited.

Episode 7: Hidden Truths

Watchthrough Thoughts
    • From the episode title, I assume we're going to find out how the civil war really started! (I was wrong)
    • Gluttony lost an arm fighting Scar. If we later see Gluttony with 2 arms, we know that either he has some sort of regeneration, or there's someone capable of repairing him.
    • Lust is going to report to "Father"? Is this the father of all the Sins, or just another Sin that fathered specifically Lust? Perhaps he's an alchemist that created all seven?
    • Sheska is absolutely adorable. That's pretty much all there is to say on the matter.

Reflections and Ruminations

So Lust and the other Sins burned down the library to stop Edward from getting to the notes. We can conclude that they aren't planning to manipulate Edward into creating a perfect version of the philosopher's stone. Fortunately (?), the Elrics are unintentionally a step ahead, and found the notes anyway.

So creating the philosopher's stone requires human sacrifice. In retrospect I should have seen this coming: "For what could equal the value of a human soul?" Works both ways: It'd be nearly impossible to sacrifice enough to create one, but by sacrificing them you could get unimaginable power. And that would be bad.

Ed and Al are really risking a lot by sneaking into this secret facility. I mean, they're pretty high up in the organization, they could probably get the clearance to research this through official channels. Or maybe they'll all be killed off for knowing too much, but that's a risk they face anyway.

The fact that King Bradley has an entire facility, secret from even some of his most trusted officials, dedicated to seeing what kind of alchemy can be done via human sacrifice, is troubling. It's a good thing that the alchemist who researched the stone hid all his notes, because otherwise they could be mass producing those lesser stones.

• Lust's Father has at least one Sin reporting to him.
    • Gluttony lost an arm. Keep an eye on him to see if he ever has 2 arms again.
    • Sheska might make a return appearance.
    • Scar's still out there, but he might not show up for a few episodes.
    • Creating the philosopher's stone requires human sacrifice. Mr. World is probably involved.
    • Armstrong, Mustang, Edward and Alfonse can all potentially be declared enemies of the state. (Mustang for his ambition of becoming Fuhrer)
    Last edited by Randomguy; 2014-06-04 at 12:10 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

God I love this thread, my introduction to Brotherhood was somewhat spoiled for me, (I had already watched the original anime and I read a few of the manga that were already significantly into the plot so everything was sort of out of order for me) but reading your reactions almost feels like watching it with a fresh mind. Not to mention the glee of knowing what's going to happen while watching someone else wander into it unknowingly. (Which is honestly the biggest reason anyone makes their friends watch or read something they really like)
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Now that I can talk about it (because the OP got to where it was discussed in the show), it infuriated me that, from the second episode on, the intro shows a Stone and zooms in on it to show writhing faces, while the narrator talks about the "value of a human soul." In other words, one of the biggest kicks in the face in the early series was spoiled almost from the beginning.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Intros always spoil. You'd think they'd learn by now to be a bit more subtle about major plot points, but they never seem to get it.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, one of the OPs for the first anime had the Elrics fighting a horde of dragon-like monsters in a swamp. Which, uh... doesn't happen. Ever. In any incarnation of the story.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Claymore OP? Anyone? Anyone?

Anyhow, something that really strikes me about these posts: I love the thought that's going into them. I may have mentioned this. It's really interesting to see the speculation and to watch you discovering stuff. I wasn't nearly so zealous in my analysis when I watched it.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyhow, something that really strikes me about these posts: I love the thought that's going into them. I may have mentioned this. It's really interesting to see the speculation and to watch you discovering stuff. I wasn't nearly so zealous in my analysis when I watched it.
    That's actually one of the reasons I'm doing this Let's Watch. Normally I don't put nearly as much thought into what I read and this is an attempt to force myself to break that habit. Although if I'd put more thought into the intro then I probably would have figured out the human sacrifice required to create the philosopher's stone, but I'll admit I wasn't really focusing on the intro.

It was also an attempt to see if I could keep a schedule, and apparently I can't. Sorry guys, but no Wednesday update. I'll try to make it up with a double thursday update, though.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

• Sheska is absolutely adorable. That's pretty much all there is to say on the matter.
    I definitely prefer Brotherhood, but one of the changes I really like about the first anime is they gave Sheska some decent screentime.

Claymore OP? Anyone? Anyone?

Some might say he's being a bit overzealous with some of it, but I does make for a good read.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Episode 8: The Fifth Laboratory

Watchthrough Thought
    • "Major armstrong’s going to take his shirt off again and yell at us isn’t he?"

Writings and Wonderings

The people behind the philosophers stone are binding the souls of serial killers to suits of armour and using them as body guards. This strikes me as a bad idea, as demonstrated by the Butcher (Barry the slicer? The one fighting Alfonse) killing one of the human security guards.
    Edward learns a new trick by copying Scar’s move. That’ll be useful, except in fights against humans since it’s a fatal move. Unless Edward doesn’t want to use the same type of alchemy as Scar on principle? Nah.

Poor Alfonse. He should be less trusting of serial killers. Hopefully he'll be blunt and just ask Edward about this, and Edward will say what he wanted to say to him earlier (probably it's his meeting with Mr. World). Otherwise, he might start to be suspicious and paranoid, and that would end badly.

The big bombshell this episode is that the Sins are in charge of the facility. That really blew my mind: The facility is clearly run by the government, and literally everything that the Sins have done so far was to bring down the government. I see two possibilities:
    1. One of the higher ups, let's call him Starscream, who King Bradley trusts is in charge of the fifth laboratory. King Bradley doesn't visit very often, so Starscream is free to have the Sins, his minions, be in charge while they're also plotting Bradley's downfall.
    2. King Bradley is in cahoots with the Sins and has some plot that involves an attack on his own country. Maybe a false flag operation? Maybe to start a holy war against the Leitoists? I think this is a bit more likely.

I think I need to go back the end of episode 1, to hear Lust's conversation on the phone again. Is it possible she was talking to King Bradley?

I've also been thinking about why the Sins need to sacrifice Edward specifically. Let's think back to the Law of Equivalent Exchange: What does Edward have that a random condemned criminal might not, that would be exchanged for something useful? He's a prodigy at alchemy, but I don't think that's it, since anyone can do alchemy if they understand the theory. I think it has to do with the Knowledge that Mr. World imposed on him. Edward knows Things, so they might be able to exchange him, especially his brain which contains unique knowledge, for something. But what are they trying to get in exchange?

• The Sins work for the government.
    • Alfonse might start to get paranoid.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

The worst part about a lets watch is waiting for a person to get to the parts where things start getting revealed.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oh you're getting so close I can taste it... I think I know why super-villains like the Riddler do what they do, they know they're going to fail, but the thrill of knowing what others don't and watching them claw closer and closer to it tastes sooo goooddd...

Spoiler: Brotherhood and First Anime Spoilers
    Show
    God I can't wait till he finishes the Dublith arc. Everything just starts falling more and more into place by then, and I can't wait for him to see the twist with Bradley. (Since I got such a shock from seeing the first anime's version of it.)

Though I do still have issues with that homunculus. Why the heck is Dante having to make philosopher stones with the whole intense secrecy fueled by human misery thing when she has through Bradley prisons full of death row inmates and an entire government program of skilled alchemists? Honestly with the likes of Kimblee Grande and Tucker around, there's got to be a state alchemist skilled and evil enough every few years to churn out a philosopher stone or two without any questions asked. I liked the tempter angle they went with, but it just screams inefficiency when you've got the most powerful man in the country as your pawn who has already been able to accomplish dozens of horrific secret government programs, and yet you still don't have a stable operation for immortality yet. At least Father's plan was appropriately vast for the conspiracy he was engineering. Dante's plan was just petty, not only for her selfish goals, but her inability to plan beyond her overly cruel and evil immortality gambit to loftier heights. Honestly it would have worked better if Bradley was just a human puppet while the homunculus was someone close and influential enough to steer him to creating the whole human misery thing. Someone like Archer was, or heck even keeping Selim as Pride and giving him so sort of suggestion power, like the shadow control thing he has in brotherhood with humans would make the plan fit the resources available. As it just seems like holding a building full of people hostage with a fully trained squad of commandos outfitted with state-of-the-art military technology just so you can get out of paying your bills. If you just used the commandos to scare off the bill collectors whenever they come along you could start looking into better uses for those commandos in the mean time.
    Last edited by Ravian; 2014-06-06 at 12:26 AM.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: My Reaction, Very Spoiler
    Show

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! I can't wait until the reveal of Wrath.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah in Brotherhood, Al's reaction is pretty weak. In the original anime though, he confides in Winry that he can't really remember the faces of less significant friends before he was transformed.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-06-06 at 11:51 AM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Episode 9: Created Feelings

Watchthrough Thought
    • The windup toy robot was a nice metaphor.

Events and Exposition

Winry gets a lot of character development this episode. One of the things that kind of bugs me about her is that even though she felt really guilty about her mistake, when she finds out that it wasn't her fault Edward was hospitalized and that Edward didn't think it was her fault, she charged him for the extra repairs. So the net result is Winry gets paid for doing a sloppy job and then gets paid again for fixing her own screwup.

There was also a lot of Edward / Winry ship tease in this episode. (My personal favourite was "Is it true you brought a pretty blond girl into your room to service you?" ) Maybe I was a bit hasty in changing my mind about her being Edward's love interest? It could go either way. I'm curious, what's their official shipping name? Edwin?

I'm glad Alfonse was able to resolve his suspicions so soon. If he hadn't confronted Edward when he did things might not have gone so well.

The closing scene with Scar raises questions. The tattoo was "a precious gift from his family", but he didn't have it when he was attacked by the state alchemist, and that happened after his brother and his master were dead. So who gave him the tattoo?

• Scar's tattoos, which he got after being attacked by a state alchemist. Scar himself is also going to be much more important than I first thought. I originally expected him to be a villain for only a few episodes, like Cornello.
    • The state alchemist that attacked Scar. He's the same one that was shown briefly in prison in episode 8, with the transmutation circle tattoos on his palms. I'm not sure if he's also the Crimson Alchemist, though, or if that's a different state alchemist psychopath in prison.
    Last edited by Randomguy; 2014-06-07 at 12:53 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I loved this episode simply because Winry sat Al down..and threatened him until he pulled his head from his nether regions, thus avoiding 20 episodes of Angst.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    I loved this episode simply because Winry sat Al down..and threatened him until he pulled his head from his nether regions, thus avoiding 20 2 episodes of Angst.
    Fixed. Just sayin'. It wasn't that long in the original.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Winry gets a lot of character development this episode. One of the things that kind of bugs me about her is that even though she felt really guilty about her mistake, when she finds out that it wasn't her fault Edward was hospitalized and that Edward didn't think it was her fault, she charged him for the extra repairs. So the net result is Winry gets paid for doing a sloppy job and then gets paid again for fixing her own screwup.
    This is what we in the buisness call a tsundere tax.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

I'm curious, what's their official shipping name? Edwin?
    Haha, yeah.... I remember how confused I was when during first FMA anime (I didn't know how shipping names are made) everyone was saying things like "Edwin is so awesome!" "Edwin for the win!" "I love Edwin, so cute!"

and I was just like... "Ok... Why is everyone talking about Baldur's Gate 2 in FMA thread?"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Fixed. Just sayin'. It wasn't that long in the original.
    No no that was not a shot at Al from the original,

Spoiler
    Show
    it was a shot at Hoenhiem in both versions, who could have explained to his kids what was going on much earlier and saved everyone some trouble.
    Last edited by ryuplaneswalker; 2014-06-07 at 12:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by banthesun View Post
    This is what we in the buisness call a tsundere tax.
    Well it's n-not like she wanted you to pay for your automail, baka!
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-06-07 at 02:37 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

I have to say, I'm really enjoying this. It's always fun to see someone's thoughts going into a series blind, especially for one I love.