New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: You Just Got Schooled IC Group 1

Jorudan frowns at Jillia's response, obviously slightly confused. He begins to raise his hand and open his mouth to speak, but halfway through the first word, he thinks better of it, and contents himself to wait, allowing events to take their course for now.

While the girls face off at Jilla's behest, he stands a little ways off from his instructor, hands clasped behind his back, watching the conflict, studying his group-mates' techniques.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

what
    What.
    "Wat."
    Malorey had dragged her spear from the place they had been given their rule-sheets with the intent of finding a place to dispose of the contraband, since it wasn't color-coded like the rules stated (one of the few rules she had understood thus far), so she already had it conveniently on-hand. Or, well, she did have it on-hand, but fumbled wildly upon hearing the instructor's orders, and now the spear (as well as the small stack of papers she had been holding along with it) were strewn about her feet haphazardly.

Malorey snatched the spear from the ground and hugged it tight, embracing the closest equivalent she knew to a 'battle stance', though it looked a little more like an 'oh gods please don't stab me' stance. She glanced to the instructor in a panic, and back to Semira.
    "D-do we have to?! I mean, I didn't- I wasn't thinking- We're not supposed to fight each other, I thought!"
    Maybe this was another test, like a pop-quiz to see if they had actually read the rules? Malorey dearly hoped so.

Spoiler: Malorey's initiative roll, whether she likes it or not
    Show
    (1d20+2)[14]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

At the prospect of getting to fight already, Tetou seems to perk up a bit. And then un-perk when she hears who it is. Not because of any specific thing about who she's fighting, but more about who she isn't. She was kinda hoping to be able to knock the sorceress down a peg or two. She's rather glad that she's second round and not first, since that gives her time to think. Her opponent isn't wielding any weapon, much less a magical one, so she shouldn't even be able to harm her. On the other hand, she wouldn't have volunteered for a merc corp if she didn't have some trick up her sleeves. Maybe she's a construct, and the weapons are inside? She was preternaturally athletic earlier, and mentioned not sleeping earlier....either way, better safe than... whatever the hecks gonna happen once she takes too much of a beating. Of course, the unarmed person might also be a fellow member of the walking dead. Like a more rational version of the hungry dead Tetou had accidentally created before.

Spoiler: Pre-emptive initiative
    Show
    (1d20+5)[18]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler: Rolling initiative
    Show

(1d20+3)[15]

Keeping the same pose and putting on a bored pout, Semira pretends to read her spell book, considering her options.

Seeing that Malorey is still shaking like a twig in the wind while clutching her spear for support, she declares, "All right fine, I'll go first."

At that, she whispers something under her breath and then says in a tone entirely different from her usual sardonic quips,
    "We shouldn't be fighting each other, you remember the rules you just read?
    Let's be friends."

Spoiler: Spell Info
    Show
    Heightened charm person (level 3) with DC 18 against will save
    Last edited by SubLimePie; 2014-06-03 at 07:18 PM.
    Spoiler: because large signatures are annoying
    Show
    (Dorm)ant until summer~

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Though the magic behind Semira's words failed to grasp at Malorey's mind, unbeknownst to her, the meaning of them did not. Semira didn't want to fight, and Malorey didn't want to fight, and apparently the rules didn't want them to fight either, so everything was culminating to a perfectly pacifistic evening. She hadn't the slightest clue that Semira's offer to step down was, ironically, her first offensive. She looked towards their scantily-clad teacher and calmed down considerably, untensing with an inward sigh.
    "...so, we're not really fighting, right? Was that the test?"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm pretty sure this counts as a duel. It's between two people willingly, and you currently have 3 uninvolved witnesses; the rest of your team. And even if it wasn't, since it is among your own team, think of it as a game between friends. I mean, what's a sleepover without a little rough play?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

"That rule is for unsanctioned fights. I am the one ordering you to. This is not a fight, this is training. We are still inside training period. Unless you have something personal against each other," Jillia smirks.

"Now go on," Jillia adds, crossing her arms over her chest. "Or shall I give you failing marks on your first day?"

8. - Top - End - #38

The corners of Semira's mouth curl into a slow smile as her "attack" worked.
    Whether her spell succeeded or not, she knew Malorey would be easy to convince.

Turning to the instructor,
    "You're trying to get us in troubled aren't you?
    Clearly the rules says 'Personal conflict between two or more Jokers is strictly prohibited'"
    , punctuated with air quotes.

"That means any conflict between two persons who are training to be a Joker," she says while wearing a satisfied smile at her clever twisting of the rules.

"Plus, there's the other rule: 'In cases where the overseer's or group instructor's command is in conflict with the rules and regulations for recruits, the rules and regulations take priority'."

Frowning that the instructor's not budging, "Fine, be that way."
    She mutters under her breath, and a white fog condenses around the area Jillia is standing near.

Spoiler: Spell information
    Show

Stinking cloud surrounding Jillia with DC 20 Fortitude save
    Last edited by SubLimePie; 2014-06-03 at 11:42 PM.
    Show
    (Dorm)ant until summer~

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

"Sheesh, one minute she's bitching about the rules, now she's suddenly a strict follower. Women, huh?" Jillia says to Jorudan before laughing.

"No, this is not a test on you following the rules. Look around, there are others doing it," she points out, and clearly you can see other groups doing so as well. "It's perfectly fine if it's training. We're gonna have a lot of it, between group mates as well as other groups."

"I just want to see what I'm working with here, so go ahead and do it while you're allowed to," she says with another grin.

When the cloud begins to form around her, she laughs.

"So, this is your answer? You got guts, I'll say that."
    Last edited by GuyFawkes; 2014-06-04 at 08:52 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

In a flash, Jillia is beside Semira, and with another quick movement, an open hand cuts through the air towards the latter's head in blinding speed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge Attack Unarmed Strike
    Power Attack -12
    Attack:
    (1d20+12)[24]
    Damage: (1d3+26)[29] (nonlethal)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Despite the apparent futility, Tetou tries to continue the rules lawyering with some of her own. "The key words their are personal conflict, and between Jokers. This isn't personal in any way, and we aren't jokers yet. You're just following orders, that has to be the closest to "sorry bub, not personal" that you're ever gonna get. Also, we aren't jokers until we finish training, we're recruits. Different rules apply to both, as shown on the given forms. Us killing each other falls under "destruction of Carnival property", which shouldn't apply as long as we stop at unconsciousness.So if you'd go back to fighting, we can get on with our day."

The futility is made ever more evident by her summoning of a cloud of....whatever the heck this is. Tetou merely sighs , the gas not even seeming to recognize she's there. Which works just fine, because her body likewise ignores it. and so she continues in the most deadpan monotone she can manage (which is quite a good one, given the lack of breathing that could make it un-monotone).

"Or you can attack you boss, who could probably kill you with both hands behind her back, and your teamate that doesn't ever rest and can rip the life right out of you, or just toss you more than a hundred feet in the air. That is equally as good an idea, It's a wonder I didn't try it myself."
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2014-06-04 at 10:19 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Spoiler: If there's enough time between Jillia's charge
    Show
    When the cloud was forming and the view partially obscured, Semira summons up a small gilded flask and directs its top towards the silhouetted figure of Jillia.
    Removing the stopper and whispering "geyser", a small jet flies out at an incredible speed, the momentum of which knocking Semira back several meters.

Spoiler: Info
    Show
    The decanter of endless water mainly used to get away from melee range as an improvised jet engine.
    Being squirted with water is also extremely annoying :P.

Spoiler: Otherwise
    Show

The last thing Semira saw was the half of a supplicated hand homing in on her vulnerable neck in a chop.

She drops to the ground without any resistance. Her face is, oddly enough, peaceful, and the scene taken out of context could be described as an angelic slumber.

Acting without considering consequences sure sucks...
    Last edited by SubLimePie; 2014-06-04 at 03:36 PM.
    Show
    (Dorm)ant until summer~

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Malorey was not a very perceptive or wise individual, and it took Jillia to point out that, all around her, there were people fighting. More accurately, they were sparring, which was a foreign concept until now. Taking the time to observe the controlled chaos around them in the training grounds, it dawned on Malorey that she wasn't expected to do or face anything lethal, or even particularly maiming. In her shoddy defense, the request could have been phrased more gently to avoid her previous freak-out, but that was more Malorey's fault than anyone else's. She looked down at the spear in her hands, and supposed she could just use the stumpy end like it was the stabby end, to show she could use it. It was just a little...rough play, like the white-haired girl said. Not that bad, right?
    "Ack, what's that smell?" she asked, pulling her shirt up to her nose and turning her attention towards...

...well, that was new. In the time-span of Malorey's daydreaming and self-direction, an opaque cloud of noxious vapors had appeared some ten feet away, and the teacher was standing over the crumpled, sleeping form of the same girl Malorey had been working up the courage to hit with a stick. Yet another reason to fear the scantily-clad Jillia. As if she needed another one.

"...does...does this mean I'm not sparring?" was all that Malorey could think to say in reaction.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jorudan would have laughed if he were willing to open his mouth with the noxious fumes swirling around him. Real stupid, girl, he thinks as Jillia dashes forward through the cloud and gives the obnoxious brat a smack upside the head.

Then, seeing her body crumple into unconsciousness, he races forward, shock on his face. "Is she ok?" he asks as he comes up behind Jillia. Holy crap! Teaching a lesson is one thing, but she just knocked her out with one hit!
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ara, despite her generally reasonably hardy constitution, seems to find something especially off-putting about the smell of the cloud. She barely is able to stagger out of it, retching. When she's recovered, she tosses a nasty glare at the unconscious Semira.

Spoiler
    Show
    Duration: (1d4+1)[4]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

"She's fine. Just out cold," Jillia bends down and carries the unconscious figure of Semira, and you notice how effortlessly she does it, reinforcing the weight of the blow she gave her earlier. She walks off towards the benches and lays Semira there gently before turning to the others.

"Now that that's taken care of, we proceed. Or is there someone else who still questions my words?" she looks at each of you in the eyes, smiling.

"Okay, up next, we'll have Ara and Tetou, was it?" she asks. "Oh, dear me. You got affected by that silly girl's stink cloud. Well, it'll wear off in a few. You can start when you both are ready."

"And you," she looks at Malorey. "Don't think you've gotten out of this yet. You get to fight this boy here," she points at Jorudan. "At least I got to see a glimpse of what this silly girl's capable of, all I'm after really, but you, you didn't even budge an inch. So you two follow next."

She sits down beside Semira. "All right, whenever you two are ready," she says to Ara and Tetou.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Ahh, crud. Malorey was ready to just accept the failing grade, whatever that meant, but now she was set to fight Jorudan instead. She didn't really want to fight Jorudan either, but she kept reminding herself that this was supposed to be a friendly sparring match of sorts. Like a wrestling match, but with less blood.
    However, Malorey's match was now set to take place after Tetou and Ara's, and she was just fine with that. Jorudan had been expected to stand without a sparring partner this whole time, so maybe he was at least happy with the news? She meandered her way towards the more peaceful (though somewhat more foul-smelling) corner of the training grounds where he was standing, content to get the heck out of the way of whatever magical explosions might occur from either of the other two conscious combatants.
    "...so..." Malorey whistled, looking at her spear, "...you'd be alright if I...uh, hit you in the face with this, right...? Like, with the wooden end."
    Last edited by Hystoriwr; 2014-06-06 at 02:59 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Tetou, following the "until you're both ready" statement, waits around until the poor girls stops being queasy. So once both are all ready to fight, Tetou act with greater speed, bolting into the air to prevent this from being close to an even fight.
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Run action to move 120 feet into the air.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ara shakes her head as the ghostly girl takes off into the air, realizing there's no way she can reach her. "Running away, are we? Two can play at that game." With this, Ara takes off running along the ground, opening up as much distance as she can.

Spoiler
    Show
    Run as a Full-Round action directly away from Tetou. I cover 360 feet. I'm fairly certain we'll end up stalemating - I'm not sure of your range, but I can beat your Run Speed with a Double Move, so once she's outside of it, she can stay outside indefinitely. In the meantime, if Tetou attempts an attack with an attack roll involved, Deflecting Palm: (1d20+18)[35] (This is an opposed attack roll against your roll. I only get 1/enemy/turn.)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jorudan gives Malorey quizzical look, then laughs and rests his hand on her shoulder. "Haha! Of course not," he answers with a smile, "Teacher said so, right?" and he finishes with a wink.

"Besides," he continues, "I'm not even sure I know how to do what I can do." He thinks about it for a moment, then he starts to mumble, "Last time I just wished I were an eagle, and I became one. Does it work on other animals?" He closes his eyes and concentrates on one of his favorites from the tattered bestiary his mother had, one that was fierce and swift, like an arrow shot from a bow. So many times, he remembered wishing for that speed, and as he drifts into memories, he begins to realize that he is shrinking. He opens his eyes and looks around, and his face is now where his waist was just a moment ago. He looks worriedly down, trying to see his body, and is greeted by two black-spotted yellow paws. He turns his neck, finding he can move it with incredible range, and sees that his body is not much smaller, but is four-legged now.

"Wow!" he exclaims, the sound coming out more as a cheetah's bark. "It worked! And I can still talk, just like last time!" He laughs, and the sounds comes out a high-pitched chirp.
    Last edited by Breitheamh; 2014-06-06 at 09:44 AM.
    Show

Town Square execution.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

"Running away implies that I can't or won't attack you. Unfortunately, both are wrong. I was merely maneuvering to a better vantage point." she then demonstrates this fact by relatively lazily floating on, before pointing her hand vaguely at her foe. As if on command, peices of stone below pick themselves up and launch at the running girl.

Show
    Move action: move diagonally down-forward (this end up with me 100 feet altitude, and 340 feet away from opponent).
    Standard:use violent thrust version of telekinesis to throw twelve 25-pound peices of rock. Long series of attack and damage rolls in spoiler.cooldown:(1d4)[3]
    Spoiler: Attacks
    Show
    format is attack, crit confirm (if needed, these threat on a 20), damage.
    (1d20+10)[28],(1d20+10)[25],(1d6)[6].
    (1d20+10)[18],(1d20+10)[22],(1d6)[6].
    (1d20+10)[16],(1d20+10)[18],(1d6)[4].
    (1d20+10)[18],(1d20+10)[27],(1d6)[3].
    (1d20+10)[13],(1d20+10)[23],(1d6)[1].
    (1d20+10)[11],(1d20+10)[13],(1d6)[6].
    (1d20+10)[15],(1d20+10)[26],(1d6)[4].
    (1d20+10)[30],(1d20+10)[18],(1d6)[6].
    (1d20+10)[22],(1d20+10)[15],(1d6)[3].
    (1d20+10)[29],(1d20+10)[18],(1d6)[3].
    (1d20+10)[20],(1d20+10)[15],(1d6)[2].
    (1d20+10)[17],(1d20+10)[23],(1d6)[5].

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

While Ara is able to bat away one of the rocks heading toward her, and dodge most of the rest, two are able to get through and strike her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Deflecting Palm deals with the first one, the 8th and 10th hit for 9 damage total.

She continues to open up distance between them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another run action, another 360 feet. By the end of the cooldown period, she'll be out of range of Telekinesis.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

"C'mon, take it proper and get back here. You can't run forever. I CAN."
    Trying to catch up, but failing due to the incredible speed this coward possesses. Must have gotten a ton of practice running away.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Full-round action: run 120 feet towards Ara. If my math is right, that puts me at an altitude of 100 feet and 580 feet away, with 2 round of no TK.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ara keeps running, not particularly wanting the ghost-girl to have a chance to throw more at her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another Run action, another 360 feet. 940 Feet away now. The running rules fortunately won't come into play - once she's out of range, Double Moves (which can be done indefinitely) will keep her beyond the range of your Telekinesis forever.

"Get down here and fight me like a humanoid, dead-girl!"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Promises Kept View Post
    Ara keeps running, not particularly wanting the ghost-girl to have a chance to throw more at her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another Run action, another 360 feet. 940 Feet away now. The running rules fortunately won't come into play - once she's out of range, Double Moves (which can be done indefinitely) will keep her beyond the range of your Telekinesis forever.

"Get down here and fight me like a humanoid, dead-girl!"
    "I do fight like a humanoid, taking advantage of what I have. You are the simpleton who fights like an animal, no weapon but their fists and running away when your obvious weakness is exposed.Tell me, you run so fast, do you lack intelligence to convert your sideways momentum into upwards momentum?"

Spoiler: Actions/comments
    Show
    Now now, if we're going to be creature-type-ist, we can at leat be accurate. Tetou is a Humanoid(Human, Augmentead Undead, Incorporeal)

Run action down-forward, bringing me to altitude 20 and 860 feet away, with one round of wait time left.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Malorey was distracted for a few moments there, watching both of the girls suddenly race off into the distance. She could hardly tell where the blue-skinned one was anymore, while the white-haired girl was still floating around above the training grounds, looking determined to find her.
    "Wow, they're...really going at it, aren't they?" Malorey looked down to ask the cheetah. Then something registered in her mind, and she realized that she was talking to a huge cat. This was met with the sane, collected, and perfectly acceptable response of shrieking and jumping away in fear of having her face mauled off.
    "Wh-What?! How-?"
    It took her a few seconds for it to click. A few more than it would have taken most people. The fact that the cheetah was talking, merrily so at that, helped piece the difficult (for her) puzzle together.
    "...wait...Jorudan?" she asked hesitantly.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

"In the flesh," Jorudan says, giving a feline equivalent to a smile and resting back on his haunches.

He suddenly feels a strange urge, and begins to lift his leg, his head going down, before suddenly realizing what he's doing and standing bolt upright, his tale between his legs. "Wait, did I just...was that...oh, boy." He lays down and lets his head rest on his front paws, surprised at how instinctive and natural everything seems to feel, and even a little perturbed.
    Show

Town Square execution.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ara chuckles at her opponent's banter, and keeps on running.

Spoiler
    Show
    Run action this round, Double Move in all following rounds until such time as something interesting happens. If there are any obstacles, she'll jump it if it's less than 11 feet tall; she can manage that on a nat 1 on the check. Anything higher, I'll have to think about it. She moves 360 feet this round, 180 in all following rounds. Once she's opened up enough of a lead (1/2 mile? Not sure how the geometry works out on this, but enough so she won't run into any trouble getting back) she'll turn 90 degrees and keep on going until she's certain Tetou is out of the path back to the training grounds, then head back to where they started.

And really, do you expect a poor little int-8 monk to know that the ghost is only sort of a ghost? (And I'm just now understanding why you took Human Heritage. I suppose that a Human *is* a human-descended race, hehe.)

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

After a moment of muling it over in the chase, Tetou abruptly stops and begins to return to the group. Fight like a humanoid, ey? Well, a good amount of the humanoid races fight through ambushes. Like a spider, she needs only to wait.

Show
    Run action back towards rest of us. Once I reach them, I then prepare an action to use Telekinesis once he comes withing 500 feet of me.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Jillia is amused at the way the fight is unfolding at first, but when they get repetitive and run around chasing each other, this bores her, and proceeds to observe Jorudan and his antics.

"Oh, so you're a shapeshifter? That's handy," she smirks. "Hey, little girl. See, he's not a human now. Maybe that'd remove your inhibitions on hitting him?"

When the two reappear inside the training grounds, Jillia suddenly shouts.

"You two, keep it here inside the training grounds! Unless you want to be like Little Miss Sleeping Beauty over here!"

Spoiler
    Show
    The training ground is shaped like a football stadium. Roughly the same size as well. It has a couple rows of benches around and a 10-foot wall surrounding it.