New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Shards of the West IC

On the deck: Fadwar, Marrady, Jego and Johan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fadwar and Darius arrive on deck... Jego sees a tall, blond haired man with fine features, and a fat dwarf - his face badly disfigured by burns.

Fadwar's voice...doesn't get much of a reaction. Probably came out a bit squeakier than he intended.

The Captain and the crew have stopped laughing.

'Alright, Johan, we won't gull the boy anymore'.

'Aye, slavery was it? Show me yer wrists boy'.

The Captain prepares to examine them.

'How long did ye say ye were a slave? Who owned you?'

'Ye say ye wish ta work yer passage. What can ye do? Have ye any experience of ships, sailing, cooking, or the like?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Deck
    Show
    Jego keeps his composure despite the dwarf's outburst although he wanted to laugh so bad. He turns to Johan. [color=brown] "Forget the few pints big man. I owe you a barrel of ale. Spoke good of me even though my shenanigans. 'preicate it." Looking back at the captain "I give it about nine years. As far as names I really didn't care for them. It didn't matter to me." He then slowly and cautiously unties his head cloth to reveal a scar. It went across his forehead and was discolored from his brown skin. "Overseers was savage when it came to swinging whips." As he turns his wrists over to the captain. "And I hate to say capt, my experience is laughable with ships. But I'm sure I can help with something. Even if its the worse task on the ship. Work means nothing to an escaped slave. I was a hunter before the nine years. Which means nothing on a ship... unless you have nets." Shrugging his shoulders
    Last edited by Scotty88; 2014-06-04 at 04:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

On the Deck - Jego, Johan, Marrady and Fadwar
    Spoiler
    Show
    'A hunter. Just my luck. Can ye at least handle a weapon if ye need to?'

'Unusual for an overseer to beat a slave on the face. Careless - might have taken an eye'.

'Still, clear ye were a slave or prisoner for some time - no mistakin' those shackle scars'.

'Alright, ye're aboard our ship, now, and Twelve now, we're Iveri men, and have no love for slavery'.

'Ye can work the rest of yer passage, an' we'll put ye ashore in Strackport. Though I'm sure we'll be the losers on the deal'.

'Master Johan, you've spoken for the man, so he's under your supervision. Show him the ropes, an' make sure he doesn't get underfoot'.

'The rest of you, get back to work'.

The Captain flips a copper coin to Marrady.

'A sea shanty to set the pace, if ye please, Master Marrady'.

The Captain turns back to Jego.

'D'ye have a name?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Fadwar grumbles, a bit embarrassed. His voice had cracked right at the wrong moment. Shame too, all that practice making stern faces in the mirror for nothing! He dies gather whats going on eventually though. He'd never liked stowaways. Lazy people who didn't work for passage. Like parasites. Even if this specific stowaway was an ex-slave, Fadwar felt no pity for the man with the whiplash scar.

He makes this quite clear. Wait, wot? We're lettin' thish brigand... Thish lazy ol' 'obnob shtay abard thish ship? He can't even 'help wit that work! It'sh his own damn fault he got caught, and I don't think 'e ought tah be allowed abard. What if he's shome maerdarar? Shome killer? Or a thief? Those shackle scarsh coulda come from anyfin. It's mah job to protect thish crew, and I don't think letting thish lazy leech abard ish a good idea...
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2014-06-05 at 12:53 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler: Mage's Cabin
    Show
    Hmm. Someone made a mess in here. So much for private quarters. Heumwell checks to make sure nothing has been actually taken or broken. I can either storm out of here and make a scene in front of the captain and whoever happens to be with him and look like a whiny child, or I can wait and find a quiet moment to ask what's going on. Yeah, that second option is definitely the winner. After a fairly exhaustive search, Heumwell noticed Rorys Time-Out cage had a new dent near the door.

Spoiler: For Wordplay
    Show
    Search check: (1d20+4)[19]
    (for anything missing, damaged, or just anal-retentive mage wasting time)

Heumwell then grabbed his spellbook and went out to the deck to study it while getting some fresher air in a (hopefully) out of the way place.
    "Come out of this without being arrested, cursed, grievously wounded, or impregnated, and I think we'll be fine."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: On the Deck
    Show

"Captain, I believe he mentioned his name to be Jego, least he claimed his mother would call him by that." Johan chimed in for the stow-away. He had aquired some sympathy for the man after hearing about his circumstances.

"And if your worried he'll try something murderous out here, dwarf. You'll be welcome to keep an eye him." Johan turned to the dwarf with a broad grin. "That'll just make my new job of looking out for him that much easier!" Johan finished with a big shrug. "Besides, there ain't nothing on this ship the rat can't help with. When I came aboard this crew, there was nothing I knew of working the decks, aye. But, Jego here looks strong enough, and he can learn just like I did." Johan patted Jego's right shoulder with his massive hand. And turned towards the captain. "I'll start'm working right away, captain." He gave a salute to the captain before leading Jego off.

"Come on, Jego, best start now. Don't slack and keep up the pace, listen to what I teach you and what the helmsmen, that'll be whoever is behind that wheel, says." Johan took Jego to the mast of the ship, and close to the many different ropes knotted around it.

"And don't forget, I missed breakfast on account of you, and I'm a bit grumpy because of it. So don't doze off, else I might get mad. And bad things happen when I mad." Johan's voice became harder, in contrast to the boisterous tone it held moments ago. He was serious, as Johan would get when he set his mind to things. He was given the task of watching over the newcomer, and to teach him the ropes. So Johan starting by telling Jego all the names of the lines and when and how to pull them.

Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2014-06-05 at 02:38 AM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: On deck
    Show
    Marrady caught the coin as it flew towards him, quickly pocketing it. "Aye aye, ser. A maritime tune to raise spirits coming right up."

He stopped his current tuneless playing, pausing for a moment to think up a good song. He snapped his fingers, grinning, and began to play again.

"Have ye heard the Sirens song
    Beauty, danger, in the night~"

...And so on

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: deck
    Show
    At the captains words Jego has a gleeful smile on his face. His new life was getting better. As He ties his cloth back onto his head. "My good captain you have my thanks for the mercy you didn't have to give. Like my mentor once told me. "If a person shows you mercy. Forever remember his name and face. Return the good deed however you can." While grasping his arrowhead. "Overseers love their gold and hate to lose it in a bet." Saluting the captain after seeing Johan actions thinking it must be done out of respect before turning away.

Before he walks with Johan to the mast, he looks at dwarf. His face went from gleeful to annoyed. He didn't want to start any trouble being that the captain gave him board. But the dwarfs words bothered him. "Aye crispy man I'm surprise that you didn't say that squeaky voice. Or you finally got the mouse trap off your nads. If I'm that lazy feel free to pass any of your watch duties but I'll prolly call you lazy and do it." With a slight smirk on his face.

"Sure enough big man J, I seen a lot when people get mad and its never good for me in the end." before focusing on the words and actions of Johan
    Last edited by Scotty88; 2014-06-05 at 12:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Fadwar grumbles loudly at the stowaway, clearly thinking very negatively towards the man. He spits out a few sour replies to Jego. Crishpy? I'm half burnt off and ahm shtill more off ah mahn thanh ye! Wot, and yer naht lazeh? Yer a dawned stowaway!

Bah. If the captain wantsh to let shome lunatic abard, It'sh not mah place to kick ye off. But I'll keep mah eye on ye, ya pig-faced lowlife.
    He snarls out at Jego before speaking Captain again. Shee? Thish little **** 'as no respect either. Thish ish not a good decision!
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2014-06-05 at 02:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

On the Deck (For Marrady, Fadwar, Jego, Johan and Heumwell)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Captain speaks to Fadwar.

'Oh aye? It's not a question of lettin' him aboard. The beggar's aboard already. While he's aboard, he may as well start pulling his weight. What would you have me do? Toss him over the side?'

Heumwell arrives on deck to find the sailors beginning to get to work, preparing to change over the sails, whilst Marrady sings a shanty to help them keep time.

There's a strange man Heunwell hasn't met before amongst the sailors, but it looks like there might be some room to sit out of the way in the cockpit.

Jego and Johan, please make a strength check.

Anyone on deck who hasn't made a spot check, may make a spot check.

In the Galley (Taarie, Deron and Sigge)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The fracas broken up, Beleras and Merok head up to the deck.

Martius follows them - possibly to check on them. Aegrifio departs a moment later.

The remaining sailors finish up, and put their dishes away in silence, before heading up to the deck.

Soon only Taarie, Deron, Sigge and Baron Tarekkis are left.

The Baron sighs slightly.

He turns to Taarie. 'I apologise for their behaviour'.

He offers Taarie a clean napkin.

He turns to Sigge.

'A word of warning - I'd be careful about that story of yours. The Lady in question has powerful friends, and her influence extends far beyond Soloma'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: In the galley
    Show
    Of course she does my Lord he smirks a little Its just more important to see if those friends are close by. Besides if I make it too hard to find me she'll make a even bigger fuss and that might upset my grandfather and his interests. No better she loses interest in me in a way that saves face his smirk turns into a bitter expression as he shakes his head
    Last edited by bross; 2014-06-05 at 05:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show

Spot Check (1d20-1)[4]

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

In the Galley
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baron Tarekkis frowns. 'If you're sure - though personally, I think you're playing with fire'.

'Well, good day to you all'.

The Baron departs, leaving the galley.

The Captain arrives a few moments later.

'Good morn. Thought I'd be by myself at this hour'.

The Captain digs up a bowl of tepid pork surprise.

Caught a stowaway this morn, as it happens'. he says conversationally.

'Food thefts should stop now. Put the beggar to work'.

The Captain munches away...then stops. He stares distantly into his food...

Any in the galley may sense motive DC15 and DC20.

On the Deck
    Spoiler
    Show
    All's hustle and bustle as the sailors prepare to change tack.

The Captain stares out at sea for a moment, as if distracted by something...

Johan may sense motive.

'I'm goin' below fer breakfast. Jack, ye have the helm. Hope you searats left some fer me'.

Darius mutters to Fadwar.

'Seems there's no business for us here after all...'

Darius peers into the distance...

'Huh...for a moment I thought I saw...' he blinks.

'It's nothing. Shall we speak to the Baron?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

14. - Top - End - #74

Spoiler: On Deck
    Show
    Heumwell sits down in a spot with no ropes anywhere near it (Ropes being vital for how ships work.) and nothing above his head (For things above heads usually have ropes attached.), this happens to be in the general area of the wheel (The cockpit? I learned a nautical term!). He then opens up his spellbook and proceeds to peruse his small selection of simple spells. He gets distracted frequently by things nearby, but that was the entire point of coming on deck.

Spoiler: Wordplay
    Show
    Spot check: (1d20-1)[3]
    e: Yep. Definitely distracted by things nearby. Called it.
    Last edited by Omerta; 2014-06-05 at 11:29 PM.
    "Come out of this without being arrested, cursed, grievously wounded, or impregnated, and I think we'll be fine."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Strength check
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+3)[14]

Sense motive
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[16]
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2014-06-06 at 12:53 AM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

For Johan
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've known the Captain for a few weeks now, and he seems out of sorts - like something's bothering him...
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Strength Check
    Show
    (1d20+2)[16]

[]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Deck:
    Show
    With a grumble and a sour face, Fadwar replies to his Captain. Ehh.... Well, ah suppose yer righ'. I still don't trust 'im though, sho I suggest we make shure the beggarboy don't be shtealing anyfin else. It's my job to protect theshe people, and I will go about me dutiesh ash heartlessly as me job demandsh. But, I shuppose ye know best, Captain. I reshpect yer decision. He sighs deeply before glaring at the stowaway for the last time. And ash fer ye.... If I catch ye wit yer grubby 'ands anywhere near a passenger'sh cabin, you'll loshe the 'ands. I'm shure it'd be for the good of everythin' anyway. One less brigand about pickin' 'onest peoples pocketsh. He turns his back to Jego and walks away before leaning against the railing beside his friend, Darius. He looks out to see and frowns, thinking things over. The boy was a stowaway, yes, but he didn't deserve death. His stern words should be more than enough to ensure that nothing goes missing though. At least, he hoped it would. He didn't know how he'd actually react to anything involving hand chopping. It sounded thoroughly unpleasant.... Might be a bit more of an empty threat. Oh well. As he looks out to sea he speaks to Darius. I'm going a tad shtir-crazy, methinksh. The shooner we get back to land, the better...

Search Check: (1d20+2)[13]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

For Johan and Jego
    Spoiler
    Show
    Johan takes his place hauling the sails, and he shows Jego what to do. Jego acquits himself well enough, and before long the sails are reset. The crew rests as they wait for the next tack. The coastline is visible on the horizon, a tawny blur.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Spoiler: Galley
    Show
    "Is that so?" Taarie asked the Captain, taking the newer napkin. "Do you find stowaways often?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Galley-Deck
    Show
    Sigge gets up from his lazy position moving toward the deck bracing against the wall at regular intervals before ascending the stairs to the deck and walking up to the bow leaning against the railing looking a little less uncomfortable in the sea air then down below
    Spoiler: Spot check
    Show
    (1d20+1)[6]

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: on deck
    Show
    Johan and Jego work with the crew hoisting the sails. Johan shows Jego what to do, and he manages just fine, without getting in Johan' s way.

Heumwell finally gets settled down to read in peace and quiet.

The sailors ask Marrady for a few of their favourites, and offer a few coppers in exchange.

Nothing seems amiss...

Spoiler: In the Galley
    Show
    'Sometimes'. the Captain replies to Taarie.

'Haven' t had one myself in a few years. But with food going missing and a stranger spotted, weren't much else it could be'.

The Captain frowns.

'Escaped slave, which is what you'd figure for the passage from Soloma. Poor wretch looked like they'd used him cruel'...

The Captain's hands begin to shake. Taarie (and Deron if he's still there) may make a Sense Motive check.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

23. - Top - End - #83
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Sense Motive/Galley
    Show

(1d20)[13]

Deron just about finishes up and gets ready to leave for the deck when he notices the Captain.
    Spoiler
    Show

Used to be dumb. Now I'm not. Rock on, everyone!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

In the Galley
    Spoiler
    Show

For Taarie
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Captain's tone is carefully casual, and his talk seemingly idle. Looking into the man's eyes, Taarie can see that it's a mask. The man is hiding it well, but he's deeply worried - and trying to hide it.

For Deron
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Captain seems tired, and a little world weary. Probably disgusted at the evil of those who would traffic in slaves.

The Captain smiles, and continues.

'Well, we'll put the lad ashore anyhow, and make sure he earns his keep'.

'Did I miss anythin' at breakfast?'

The Captain does a slight double take as he looks up at Taarie.

'Are you alright miss? You've got a little something, here, here and well...' the Captain gestures all over.

On the Deck
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sigge arrives on deck to find the sailors finishing changing tack, Marrady keeping them in time with a jaunty sea shanty, and Heumwell reading quietly out of the way. A new face is mixed in with the sailors - it seems that the outsize Johan is showing him what to do. Amanda is busy with the others.

The Lady de Marrallet Tercius appears on deck, shading herself with a parasol, and accompanied by her two maids. Her page boy is nowhere to be seen. She sits near to Marrady.

'Oh, Marrady, please play the ballad of Aetha and Araneus - it's my favourite'.

She bats her eyelashes at the bard.

The Squire Beleras and the human guard Merok have come up on deck. They retrieve soap, two scrubbing brushes, then start to scrub an unoccupied piece of deck. The two get on their hands and knees and start to scrub sullenly. The Squire makes a point of scrubbing faster than Merok, so Merok increases his pace. Soon it becomes a furious competition.

Meanwhile, Dorothea, one of the maids, sidles up to Sigge.

'I hope you will pardon my boldness. I hear you travel as a merchant. You must be quite used to these exotic locales. I daresay this sort of business seems routine after a while, but it's all very new to me'.

'Do you have any interesting stories?'

Squire Beleras stops for a second, looking daggers at Sigge.

Merok takes advantage of the distraction to hiss something at Heumwell.

Spoiler: For Heumwell
    Show
    'This is all your blasted beast's fault. Watch your back, wizard'.

As the sailors finish changing the sailors over for the new tack, the helmsman calls out.

'I need a sounding for depth, and a lookout up top to watch for shoals'.

OoC: To act as lookout, make a Climb check DC10, and a Spot check at +5. To take a sounding make a Use Rope check, DC10.

Fadwar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Darius leads the way to Tarekkis' cabin. He knocks on the door. An imperious voice answers from within.

'Enter'.

The Baron is sitting at a desk, poring over a map. Aegrifio is leaning over the desk, looking at it. The two turn to look at Darius and Fadwar.

'Yes, what is it?'

Darius takes a breath.

'Sir, there have been a number of unexplained occurrences aboard the ship. At first we thought perhaps it could be pinned on the stowaway, but the stowaway would have no interest in slowing the passage. On top of that, the Captain has been acting very strangely'.

Darius takes a breath.

'Sir, you hired us to protect your retinue, the ship, the passengers, and of course, the earthly remains of the dear departed ambassador. If there's something you're not telling us, some risk that you haven't shared with us, then I can't guarantee that we can fulfill our mission'.

The Baron stares back impassively, but Aegrifio looks a little concerned.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: on deck
    Show
    Your boldness is easily pardoned he turns his face her you say as much but I'm hardly as seasoned as you'd assume, at least not at sea. I learned that with my father sailing into Ballen’s Bight from Strackport, we had acquired a Berth and were shipping Ginger. I spent half the trip sea sick and the other half doing manual labor to work my way while the old man laughed telling me the reason he wasent working was that I needed to "build character" and to "toughen up from my mothers soft living fantasy" he smirks bitterly From there we acquired a cart from the iris's hall there. From there we went to Scryvale, Have you ever been near Hanate lands?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Marrady grins, tipping his hat to the fa-...fair lady. "Ofcourse. Anything for a fan, my dear."
    Ever the fan of attention, doubly so if coming from females, Marrady stopped his current shanty prematurely, and began tuning his accordion for the ballad, in as much anyone can tune an accordion. Though he did not reciprocate any romantic feelings for The Lady, you couldn't tell. Marrady was one for showmanship, and you have to work with what you got. And so he responded to the fluttering of lashes with a roguish wink and grin, and began playing the ballad at the behest of The Lady.

Playing, continuing the singing of the fine tale, Marrady's attention drifted to across the deck and to the galley, singing on impulse as his mind attended other matters. A few happenings on the ship had rather taken his interest if only for curiosity, or maybe future story possibilities. The stowaway and the elven passenger seemed interesting folk on this matter.

27. - Top - End - #87

Show
    Heumwell is extremely surprised at this reaction. The last he knew, the two fellows scrubbing the deck were helping each other off the ground in the galley. Heumwell speaks in a decidedly louder than necessary voice: "While I do regret what has happened, I don't think I am in any way responsible for your current situation." Heumwell then lowers his voice to match Merok's conspiratorial tone. "Also, threatening wizards has ended poorly for a great many people. I surely hope you won't be among that number." Heumwell then remembers that Rory bit the fat woman with the layers of pomp. "If you will excuse me sir, I do believe I owe the Lady an apology." Heumwell seems extraordinarily cheery, considering he just had his life threatened. He then gets up and walks over to Lady Prissydress (I really must remember to catch these people's names...) and awaits an ending to the "music" she seems to be enjoying.

Spoiler: Wordplay
    Show
    Intimidate roll in case you want it: (1d20-1)[11]
    Last edited by Omerta; 2014-06-15 at 03:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Spoiler: Galley
    Show
    Taarie absently looks herself over, before putting the new napkin to use. "Yes, apologies. I'm quite fine, there was simply a- It's no matter. Who is this stowaway?"

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: On the Deck
    Show
    Upon hearing the word, Johan tied the rope he held off. "That'll be me then!" Johan shouted to the helmsmen, he then turned to Jego. "I'll be headin' up the rigging to keep an eye out for danger. Best part of working this vessel, I'd say. There's nothing like feeling the wind running wild around you. Feels like freedom." Johan added with a grin. "Aye, if you feel like coming up, don't be scared to do so. Just follow my step, and hold on to something, lest you fall overboard!" Johan turned and grabbed hold of the rigging, hoisting himself up to gaze out at the ocean.
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2014-06-15 at 10:56 PM.
    If I had one ...

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Show
    Ship work wasn't as bad as Jego thought. He was actually having fun just like his hunting days. Just hearing a lot of words that he didn't know. But he was sure he would learn them. He follows Johan up the rigging. "I think I'll join you here. Seeing a lot of things I never saw before. Quite pleasant on the eyes. As stares out into ocean, he begins to wonder about what kind of fish living in this waters. He looks to Johan. Aye Big man J, Do you know if there are any nets around? I'm wondering if I can catch something for the cook. Pretty sure fellas and ladies would like something different. I know I would." breaking into a slight chuckle
    Last edited by Scotty88; 2014-06-16 at 10:30 AM.