1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default The Hounds of Death

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even Death may die.
    -H.P Lovecraft, The Nameless City

The Hounds of Death

Your arrival into the Last God's demesne is roughly as pleasant as you would expect entering Death's domain to be - that is to say, not at all. A powerful sense of dread pervades the stark anteroom you find yourselves in - one so strong you wonder at how it can not be tripping your mental defenses. Whether simply some aspect of the atmosphere or an intrinsic power of Death's domain, the message conveyed is clear - this is no place for the living. For that matter, this is no place for the unliving - only for the dead. Whether brought here by messenger or ship or spells of your own use, you have been left alone here, before the entrance to the Throne of Endings. Behind the massive, black doors you face is the entity you have been called here to meet - though, to what end, the "invitation" was uncertain. You stand together, in silence.

Shortly before you go to meet the Reaper, an incredibly loud voice booms forth from within the room. "WE WILL NOT ALLOW YOUR PRIDE TO JEOPARDIZE THE ORDER OF THINGS, OLD ONE. ACCEPT WHAT IS OFFERED TO YOU."

Whatever had been preventing you from hearing the events proceeding in the room before you apparently overwhelmed by sheer volume, you are able to catch the reply of an incredibly deep, resonant baritone, one which seems to echo in your very bones, carrying with it that same sense of dread borne by this place, but infinitely stronger. You know instantly, instinctively, that you hear Death Himself. It is not particularly loud, in comparison to the blatant shouting immediately before, but is, nevertheless, perfectly clear to you, despite the thick sheet of metal between you and its source. "I have no intention of allowing you to intervene further than necessary in this matter, Child of Law. You have no authority over me. I will allow one of your servitors to remain and ensure that balance is upheld, but no more. You have overstayed your welcome in my home, and will leave. Immediately."

Without giving the other being time to respond, Death continues, "You whom I have called, enter. My current guest is just leaving, and we have much to discuss.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Hounds of Death

The Horned Devil continues reading from his book for a few seconds – probably up to the end of an enthralling passage – and then snaps its book shut. It then turns its plutonian eyes towards the other beings summoned to Death, glaring with intensity rarely found in a devil who was not aggravated on a personal level. Nothing else is revealed by those dark-red eyes; whether it recognizes or fears and hates or admires any single member of the group is hidden as it does nothing to betray the thoughts milling about in its head.

That moment passes quickly and the Horned Devil silently strides forward through the enormous door, book still in claw.
    Having ten fingernails is for rich folk. Lets rock.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Therosan sits crosslegged on the ground, his attention wholy consumed by the stick of wood in front of him that he is meticulously carving. Yet the more he carves away, the more apparent it is that the wood is a sheath around a core of some kind of metal and crystal mix. Here, a strange draconic rune graces the handle. There, a burl of crystal spikes necessitates reworking part of the wood to accommodate it.

Finally, the unsettling voice belonging to the master of their current domain breaks through the crafting haze he often finds himself in. Sheathing the stick away for the moment, he stands up slowly and looks to Josephine for direction.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dharma stood silently as she waited, her eyes closed and face smooth and relaxed. Bands of silently crackling blue electricity wove over her wrists and upper arms, and circled her brow like a crown, pulsing and whirling in regular intervals as she meditated, but otherwise she was as motionless as a statue. The sounds from the other room and Therosan's carving passed through her without reaction- she heard, she understood, but they were leaves drifting on the surface of water- the depths were not disturbed by the motion above. Only when she was summoned by Death did she stir- at his words she took a deep breath and opened her eyes, then passed through the great black doors after the others.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Coattails trail down to the floor from where Josephine hovers. Idly she peels at her second skin, stripping it away and reapplying it on, hiding away pale layers. Her robes and dress of white and gold stand out in the domain of Death, a small light in the gloom. Black eyes drift across the other inhabitants; Therosan, idly carving away. A... horned devil. And a mage? A knight? No matter. It was only when she heard His voice did Josephine look up, pay attention. His presence was unnerving here. What He was saying more so. She unfolding her legs, waving for Therosan to follow, as she drifted towards the doors.
    Avatar drawn by Oneris, many praises and prayers be to she.
    I am writing a post-love romance novel. Please ask me about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    Your $0.02 is a very large $0.02, Cardea.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The enormous door swings soundlessly inward at your touch, and you get a glimpse into the cavernous throne room. All around the edges of the room are torches giving off an eerie, bluish light. Looking upward, you cannot see any sort of ceiling - or sky, for that matter - only endless shadows above. Your attention has little time to linger on these details, though, as the figures at the end of the room draw your attention. Nearest to you are several, perfectly still clockwork entities, somehow made up of sharp lines and abstract shapes. Standing before them are a pair of enormous, humanoid figures, at least ten feet in height, covered from head-to-toe in blue-black, clockwork armor. Gold and silver lines their armor, and in between their joints you can catch a glimpse of impossibly intricate clockwork. From their backs, four tubes of the same material as their armor run towards their torsos, though to what, precisely, you cannot see.

Dwarfing all of them is a titanic pair of wings, not of flesh, but of pure, prismatic light. They glow impossibly bright, seeming to banish the darkness that pervades the throne room. Unusually, the lines they seem to be made up of are perfectly straight, all pointing directly upward. Their source seems to be a relatively small, human-sized figure, glowing incandescently, standing between and in front of the clockwork beings. What it faces, though, you recognize without any trouble at all.

Standing at the foot of his Throne, Death Himself looks out towards you, and you suddenly know - without knowing why you know - that he smiles at you from beneath his hooded cloak. Impenetrable wisps of shadow play about his form, and the plain, black robes he wears are tattered with wear. Sticking out from the end of a sleeve is a skeletal hand, grasping the haft of the largest scythe you've ever seen. Black lightning dances up and down the haft, and the titanic, curved blade seems to devour all light, a void in space.

As you enter, the winged figure turns around without seeming to move - one moment, he faces Death, the next, you. His entourage clears his line of view, but continues to face Death. "THESE? THESE ARE THOSE YOU WOULD HAVE CORRECT THE IMBALANCE? WHILE YOU MAY HAVE AUTHORITY OVER THIS MATTER, I WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO ENTRUST IT TO MERE MORTALS."

Death's voice, somehow even more powerful within the heart of his demesne, booms out from within the darkness covering his face. "Enough of this, Elder. You have no right to interfere with those under my aegis, doing my work."

There is a flicker of light, and the glowing figure suddenly faces Death once more. "I WILL NOT INTERFERE WITH THEM. BUT I WILL SET MY OWN AGENTS IN MOTION, AND SHOULD THEY ENCOUNTER THESE CHILDREN, THEY WILL HAVE LITTLE CHOICE BUT TO ASSUME THEY ARE HOSTILE. THE TASK FIRST, AFTER ALL."

Death's voice somehow grows even colder, and an edge of something truly awful begins to creep into it. "Do not force me to bring my hand to bear against you. I have lost a little, but I am more than capable of ending you. Your concerns are reasonable - your intentions, not so. I would rather not be forced to act drastically."

Sounding uncertain for the first time since the conversation began, the being of light replies in a considerably quieter voice, "I cannot allow that. Nor can I allow you to throw everything away. Let me ensure they are capable, at least. A trial, while my agents find a place to begin. Should they complete it, I will lend them my resources to correct this matter, and keep the others from interfering."

Obviously both pleased and amused, Death's voice takes on something of a mocking tone. "Oh come now, Elder. You ought to know that they are under no obligation to me as of yet. It is to they you should offer your bargain." Addressing you, he continues, "Well, then? Would you rather run the Elder's errands and gain his aid, or begin the task and risk his ire? I leave it up to you. I trust you will be able to fulfill my desires regardless of the path you take."

7. - Top - End - #7

The Horned Devil bows its head in the presence of its master, a minor demonstration of its subservience that toes the line between casual service to a master and actual disrespect. Without raising its head the Horned Devil opens its book and, leaving the tome floating in the aim out of its own line of sight for a moment, traces a passage from the book with a single wickedly sharp claw as it answers Death; the claw never makes any progress down the page, continuously winding back and forth across symbols from many languages scribbled graphomaniacally.

“You would not have called upon this many of us if you did not believe the task to be beyond the means of a single one of your servants and you would not have called upon me, and others possessing capabilities equal in scope to my own, if you did not believe all of our power to be necessary. I will not second guess your appraisal of the situation and your decision to call upon this many of us; a guaranteed success that is delayed a few decades is much more valuable than immediately finding the results of a gamble.

It would be…imprudent to make an enemy while moving forward with that in mind and, as always, I will serve you in the most efficacious way possible, Lord Death. If it does not greatly interfere with my service to you then I will do as this ‘Elder’ requests.

If, however, it later comes to my attention that earning this Elder’s aid is more problematic than destroying examples of its ire then I will desist in providing it with my services and take a more direct route in completing the task you are assigning us, my lord.

What is our task and, by Death’s leave, what is your will Elder?”

The claw stops moving as soon as the voice goes silent. After a few seconds the nondescript book closes and lowers itself into the devil’s open palm.
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2014-06-07 at 08:16 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Therosan follows Josephine into the massive citadel, and into the audience chamber. Even with the two of them invited by Death himself, he still feels uneasy at the idea of Gods. Not the concept, per se, so much as the fact that in this cosmology, so far from his beloved and much-missed Eberron (of which anyone that travels with them and engages Therosan in conversation will learn of at length as he waxes poetic about his home), Gods talk to people directly.

That bears repeating.

Gods can, and do, TALK directly to people, and tell them what to do!

He mentally shakes his head slightly at the concept, even as his attention becomes riveted by the golem-like creatures.

His fingers and palms start itching slightly, even as some of the vestiges bound to his senses and items whisper to him of details only semi-related.

Therosan shrugs, even as Creepy Book Guy answers first.

"As to my assistance in your problem, me and Josephine here are a package deal. If she says yes, I say yes."

He smiles quickly for a moment, then shrugs.

"We can broach the idea of compensation later, I think. Not sure if you have anything I want just yet."

9. - Top - End - #9

Though she was silent and still after she entered the chamber, Dharma listened to the interaction between the two divine beings, measuring each of them as she awaited the proper moment to speak. That Death had summoned her to be an agent here while Mechanus apparently had its own interest in the situation troubled her- why had those she might expect to be her allies said nothing to her, while a god of whom she knew little requested her intervention? Something about this seemed off, but as of yet she was not sure of what. She ought to be careful here, to look into motives and actions, but the thought wearied her. Necessary it might be, but she would have preferred a villain to face and a simple wrong to right.

"Each in its rightful place, the wheels spin." Intoned Dharma. She brought the palms of her hands together and gave a slight but respectful bow to the Elder and its entourage. "No mortal am I, nor do I think what I am and that which I have accomplished is unknown to you, Forge Elder. Yet if you require a test of me, I will see it through; to be misaligned will only add to our tasks. However, perhaps it might best serve us all to lay the full matter bare. Though I have come here at the request of Lord Death, I have yet to hear him fully explain the task he has for us- and neither have I heard your full purpose and intentions stated."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Josephine adjusts the buckler on her arm, retightening the circlet of metal to stay in place. Once in place, she focuses her thoughts on conflict and protection. A force appears around her, taking the form of a skeleton turned mockery. A ridge sprouts over her spine, producing translucent ribs that circle her torso. Appendages are overlapped by larger bones matching the limb, encasing them. A helm made from a deer's skull overlaps her head. She crosses her legs, remaining afloat.

"You create an easy decision. To fight now, or to fight later? To choose a chance at help, or to choose the chance of death? You make a poor inevitability. But I would know. Why would you be so enraged to make such a thing? What our Host done that requires such means of your own?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Death and the Elder gaze upon you all, neither's countenance visible in their their respective auras. After a lengthy pause, Death responds dispassionately, "Ah, yes. My servants were instructed not to reveal the details of the matter to you, I recall. Very well, you shall have the tale in full.

Two mortal days ago, I was robbed. I know not by what power it was done - the thief is somehow beyond my sight, though I believe him to be mortal. I became aware of the matter upon sensing the destruction of one of the guardians of my private vaults - those contained beneath this very room. I went below, to confront whatever entity would be so foolish as to attempt to steal from me, and sensed nothing. Even with my own eyes, I could not see him. He spoke to me, from the shadows, mocking my sight. I leveled the room in response. By some trick or power, he escaped destruction, and departed my realm - this I sensed, though not his entry. My own powers and divine allies could not find the thief, nor could my clerics. Eventually, a mortal archmage claimed that some of his magics could find a trace of this thief, but only those that were purely arcane in nature, and them only whispers and riddles, and only sometimes, at that. It is my belief that he is beyond the sight of the gods, but I know not how. In any case, I have discovered that while in my vaults, he took from me an artifact of immense strength, a small cage, wrought of the mixed power of myself and my sister. His actions have disrupted the balance between us two.

If the Cage is not returned to me, just as it was when he took it from my realm, the consequences will be beyond catastrophic, as my sister's power overwhelms my own. Within a century, age shall have no grip on the creatures of the mortal world. Within five, injury and disease will be useless against them. Within a millennium, all that will remain of the worlds in my purview will be a festering cancer, growth overabundant, life without limits or boundaries. She would be perfectly happy to see such a thing occur, regardless of how it disrupts the balance."

The Elder cuts in, as Death lays out what might come. "This lies at the heart of Law's interest in the matter. The balance of Life and Death is sacrosanct, law of the highest order. Mechanus cannot allow it to be disrupted. But the Old One, in his foolish pride, refuses to allow us to act in this matter, claiming sovereignty over it as a part of his own domain."

Death replies sharply, "Foolish? You are the fool, Elder, if you believe that your servants, outside the cycle of Life and Death, can have any hope of affecting this matter. My power would not take kindly to their interference. Those I have selected retain ties enough to the cycle that they can hope to affect change on an artifact forged of my own essence."

"Mechanus cannot do nothing as the order of the Planes is destroyed! You know that as well as I. We have seen what may come of this, if allowed to play out without intervention - the Abyss will swallow us all! Is that what you desire, ancient infant?"

"Enough of this! Lay your trial before my agents and leave my Domain, or I will devour you. You push too far."

"Very well. This is what you shall do, if you hope to prove yourselves to me. A triad of undead magi, each formerly in the service of Vecna, are together gathering artifacts involved with the master they have betrayed. They hope to use these artifacts to challenge their old god, and steal his power. While it is uncertain if they are capable of overcoming him, their rituals would allow them to face him bereft of his godhood, and so they have a reasonable chance of doing so. This potential upset to the order of divinity, while of much lesser scale than the disruption of Death, is considerably more urgent. A Varakhut has already been dispatched on this task, but, barring intervention, will prove incapable of resolving it. You are to prevent the triad from gathering the remainder of the artifacts necessary, retrieve those already gathered, and bring these would-be gods in for trial. You may slay them if there is no other option, but you are expected in that case to prevent their revival. No further information will be provided - it is more than you will have for Death's task as it is." With this, the elder and his entourage depart through a Gate appearing suddenly before them. It closes immediately after their departure.

Death... sighs? "I do so very much hate dealing with those of Mechanus - present company excepted, of course. They all seem to be utterly convinced of the infallibility of themselves and their own laws. I am sorry I cannot give you more to go on, for my own task. This thief is powerful and tricksy - be cautious. And, rest assured, should you succeed, I will reward you most richly. Now, if you've no further questions, Butler will show you out." At this, he gestures to a heavily armored skeleton, who seems to have come in behind you at some point. "I've urgent matters to attend to, not the least of which is repairing the damage the Elder did to the fabric of this plane."

12. - Top - End - #12

Though her lips pressed together into a thin line and her fingers flexed into fists and then free again, Dharma held her tongue. Despite the poor representation of Mechanus by the Elder, and the blatant slander of Death goading her into speaking her mind, she kept her silence. Even if she took a stand on the issue and won, she saw little good that would come of it. Better to say nothing on the subject then, and instead accomplish the tasks ahead of her.

"I have but one more question: What is the name of the archmage you consulted, and where can we find him?" After all, if someone had sensed something, that was better than nothing. If he could be consulted on his methods and exact results, that might be a place to start. Of course, they'd likely want to attend to the Elder's task first.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Their behavior was appalling. Theft should not bring more conflict than what is apparent. Would she herself stoop to such tactics in ascension? She reached into her tunic and produced a small journal, flipping the pages with a waive of her wrist. She pointed with her finger, ready to write. "Can you provide a name for those we hunt before we adjourn? As well as the name of the Varakhut you have tasked."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Death sighs once more, and the atmosphere of the room lightens perceptibly. "I am afraid you will find little aid from him, should you seek him out, but... are you familiar with the changes that have taken place in Limbo, in recent years? The details are largely unimportant, but the plane has split. Now two layers exist, where before there was but one. Within this second layer is a most unusual city, within which the archmage resides. Once there, most any of the inhabitants could likely direct you to him - ask for the residence of Therus Liriam. He is perhaps the most unusual and unreliable informant I have ever consulted with, but he is at the very least honest."

At Josephine's query, the deity shakes his head. "I know not the name of the thief. And while I could inform you on the nature of those the Elder has set you against, I shall not. He would take it as interference in the trial, and call it grounds for failure. And, on his behalf, I should like to apologize. He is normally not half so irrational as you saw him, but the two of us have... history, dating back some nine millennia. Were circumstances different, he would be a most staunch ally in this matter."

"Now, as a host, I have behaved most appallingly, and must do so once more." Some great power stirs within the room, and you detect a hint of strain in Death's voice. "I am under a great deal of stress due to this affair, and have not shown proper hospitality. Should you return triumphant, I shall repay you tenfold, but please, I must ask you to depart. There are workings I must perform that would likely prove fatal to any observers, and I believe the Elder's task is somewhat more urgent than he let on."

15. - Top - End - #15

The Horned Devil consults its tome one last time before speaking with its master. “They are fools to provoke the gods as such. Even without the benefit of your wisdom we will ensure the destruction of these heretic necromancers. It is good that I have come to know about this before these neophytes wasted the Maimed God’s rightfully earned spark of divinity; their schemes already seem too one dimensional, too straightforward, too simple for the trio to be worthy of Vecna’s power.”

It bows but does not close the book, instead allowing the pages to turn to another section as it shows itself out.

In the atrium the Horned Devil allows its book to float freely while it removes a statue from a fold in reality. The effigy depicts a robe clad angelic being presenting a long trumpet, its wings pulled close to its body to act as a cloak. An unseen force maneuvers the statue so that it faces the fiendish mage, revealing stone dyed a dull and washed out shade of green.

And then the devil speaks. The words - each perfectly incomprehensible even when they seem to draw upon common languages – imply rigidity, structure and order before questioning the need for these qualities only to assert that there is no difference between their presence or absence. As the final sound is voiced the statue shudders to life, vibrant color returning to the now animate being.

“Trumpet archon. Class C+ outsider. Defender of Lunia by eternally binding oath. One whose will serves light Voice who is born of horn and wind.

You are to transport myself and others by means of your magic. Respond.”

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Move action- Truespeak check vs DC 33 to release Voice from Petrification: (1d20+45)[50]

If, by chance, that fails
    Second Move action- Truespeak check vs DC 33 to release Voice from Petrification: (1d20+45)[46]

Spoiler: Agent "Voice"
    Show
    HP: 126/126
    AC, speed, ETC: As per SRD

Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Domains: Destruction & War
    6 0th
    Amanuensis, detect magic, detect poison, guidance, read magic, summon holy symbol.

7 1st
    Protection from Good, protection from evil, protection from law, protection from chaos, Nimbus of light x3

7 2nd
    Lava Missile x 7

6 3rd
    Magic Vestment x2, Searing Light x 4

5 4th
    Greater Magic Weapon x2, Sound Lancex3,

4 5th
    Break Enchantment, Wall of Magma, Wall of Ooze, Revivify

4 6th
    Stone Body, Sarcophagus of Stone, Mummify, Heal

3 7th
    Greater Plane shift, Energy Ebb, Brilliant Blade

16. - Top - End - #16

Therosan shakes his head at the Lawgiver's abrupt dismissal, then moves to return back to the ship.

"As you wish. We do have work to do, after all."

17. - Top - End - #17

Dharma inclined her head in acknowledgment to the death god's wishes, then followed the others out. "What will our plan be?" She asked the others, once they were a respectable distance. "If we have time to research, I should be able to discover the artifacts we need to acquire, and perhaps their last known locations. If we desire to initiate direct confrontation immediately, I will need no preparation. I am confident in my ability to subdue our adversaries, though I could use assistance in binding them so they do not escape us afterwards."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't know how much planning we would have," Josephine says, once clear. "Magi move quickly, if I am remembering. And Inevitables are determined. This is merely a test, not our true purpose. Therosan may be able to come up with something to aid in imprisoning them, but I don't know if he would be able to produce it in time to stop them. The rest of us could, while he toils away, move towards the Varakhut for information, and then move to intercept artifacts not yet recovered. If we do not have enough time, well, I am sure we can find them promptly. The Mishann's Pride," she says, waving towards the ship as it shifts with them. "May aid us in preventing teleportation as a manner of their escape."
    Last edited by Cardea; 2014-07-09 at 05:59 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Therosan nods distractedly, still trimming away at his crystal tree stick thing.

"Should be easy enough. They are Outsiders, after all. Circle of Protection against Law, followed by a Binding of some sort would do, I'd imagine."

20. - Top - End - #20

The Horned Devil takes a long look at the ship and then those who have indicated they reside upon it. “Interesting. I cannot attest to the efficiency of the techniques used when preparing this structure but the its magically imbued self-awareness has been interwoven with the thaumaturgic requirements of safe interplanar travel surprisingly well.

Trumpet Archon, codename: ‘Voice’, belay previous orders. You are to remain on defensive standby until issued new commands.”

The Horned Devil consults its book once again before addressing the other servants of Death, never looking up from the pages as it speaks lines as a seasoned actor would from a redrafted script; it voice is confident, but the words are not its own and it makes sure every syllable falls into place as the book indicates they should.

“It is my suggestion that we conduct several years of research, gauging the time used for these efforts against the information we acquire to avoid failing any of our primary and secondary objectives. I doubt any of those gathered here, myself included, have the necessary attributes for the best method available to us to truly be effective; namely we lack the time needed to fully understand the situation by acquiring all of the information about what is taking place, and we lack interest in undertaking a sustained inquiry into all of the beings and places with connections to any of the individuals or organization related to our missions.

It seems that we are in agreement that it would be best to turn out attention and skills against those that are attempting to depose Vecna. I have my doubts that this particular triad is composed of hags, but that will only come into play during an actual engagement with the group.

The fact that Inevitables are already tasked with capturing this trio and the fact that they have been discovered so early before their ritual completes suggests they are not the most powerful or far sighted of necromancers, and the fact that they are necromancers makes it somewhat likely that some or all of them have taken steps down any one of the many paths towards undeath.

As with any fledgling necromancers it is probable that they have left overt trails that they have only recently put effort towards hiding: vampire lairs that have been emptied of those that once resided there, for example. There are many groups that monitor the many signs of a powerful necromancer mastering their art and I have no doubt that the inevitable tasked with bringing the three necromancers to ‘justice’ has acquired some useful information about them. As there are many who must protect themselves from both necromancers and Inevitables we will have many opportunities to learn more about or targets. We already possess some information that will aid us in hunting down the creature who trespassed against Death so the suggestion that follows is based upon all of the information we have available to us.

We use the next hour to prepare as we see fit and afterwards wee can, as a group, depart for Archmage Liriam’s residence. I will use this time to dismiss several of my servants to replace them with beings capable of autonomously investigating this matter, Bind these beings, and direct them remotely; the use of your ship would be appreciated as it would allow us to keep my subjects nearby and give our group a shared base of operations. Once our initial dealings with Archmage Liriam have been completed we can use our collective intellect to process the intelligence gathered by servants and then pursue any leads using our combined prowess. Members of this group include warriors, scholars and people who have made significant progress in the politics of the planes. If my information is correct your,”
    The horned Devil flicks its tail at Josephine, “abilities will be particularly useful in that regard.” When the Devil finishes it gives each other servant of Death a long once over yet again, it’s book still open at its side.
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2014-07-11 at 06:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

In silence, Dharma pondered the replies and contributions of the others, taking her time to sort through them all and come to her own conclusions. After only a few moments, she spoke up again. "We seem to be in general agreement that our time is limited. My thoughts also turn to the Varakhut given the same task- it does seem likely that it has acquired more information than we have, and I suspect it will be easier to locate than the magi themselves. However, we do not know its location, nor have any hints to follow to it. It seems possible that the Varakhut will not be proof to divination, so if any of you possess such magic that you can swiftly employ, I suggest going ahead and making use of it."

The monk crossed her arms behind her back as kept walking towards Mishann's Pride. "I have no objection to conducting more mundane investigation, but I believe we all would prefer to conclude this as swiftly as possible. So for now, I think we should focus on methods with swifter results, allowing us to conclude this without need of spending more time than necessary. If divination fails, then we can fall back on the more mundane tactics. In such a case we should consider going to Mechanus- I have allies there, and it is a certainty that the Varakhut would leave a trail from there, if only through orders from its superiors."

"I agree that taking an hour for ourselves would be wise. It will be enough time for those of our skills to acquire something to begin with, yet I doubt the situation will change significantly in so short a span. Afterwards, we can reconvene and make a more solid plan." Dharma inclined her head respectfully towards the others, then withdrew to do a little research of her own.

Divination was not her specialty, or indeed among her capabilities- but Dharma had spent a great deal of time learning about the gods, magic, and the planes. She felt assured of her ability to discern what artifacts were likely to be in danger- there was very little that would be so effective against a god, let alone so particular a deity. Indeed, she had suspicions already, but it would be best to make sure of them. Taking a small book from her stores, she consulted it as she recalled all she had learned over the years.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dharma will consult her Tome of Worldly Memory twice, making two knowledge checks in pursuit of any information on the artifacts related to Vecna.
    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+43)[50]
    Knowledge (Religion): (1d20+43)[50]

Among other things, she suspects Vecna's hand and eye may be involved here, so she'll pay special attention to notes of them, but otherwise will search for any magical rituals and artifacts that might do what the Forge Elder described.

22. - Top - End - #22

The Horned Devil navigates to the ships library with supernatural ease befitting a being obsessed with knowledge and sets up shop; it quickly establishes a small 10ft by 10ft workspace by magically displacing tables and chairs, and then it sets its special abilities to work on the library itself.

From tucks and folds in the Horned Devil’s robes flows an endless tide of paper: several meter-long vellum scrolls snake through the air around notes penned on pieces of paper the size of coins, crossing many neatly trimmed sheets upon which scholarly debates have been transcribed. The book at the Horned Devil’s side remains undisturbed as the outsider checks the contents of every piece of information held in this private repository of knowledge against that which it has accumulated over the years without looking up from the book it always carries in its hands

Within five minutes it has analyzed the entirety of this library’s contents and found it lacking. As expected. It completes its trip, returning to the small work area established earlier and it proceeds to work its art.

An expertly chiseled statue of a feral outsider is freed from a fold in reality and placed before the Horned devil. A moment later another statue, this one of a tall and wiry creature with four arms and two magnificent bows slung across its back, is produced as well and with it’s audience captive the Horned Devil speak at the two with practiced ease.

One single syllable converts an gram of smooth stone into flesh, a dozen more syllables more animation animation to that flesh, a hundred more syllables ensure the integrity of the creature’s body is maintained, a thousand more ensure control of the being’s body will be restored. Life ripples through stone like some spectacular affliction; a blessing passed from up high. The Horned Devil’s inflicts its will upon two subjects simultaneously, modulation of sound guiding its power from one to the next so quickly it might as well be speaking to both at once.

It takes all of five second for the sounds of a thousand words to be pieced together into commands for the statues to become the Horned Devil’s loyal subjects.

“Astral Stalker. Outsider class C. Codename: Chase. Respond.” The more bestial of the two outsiders bows its head and silently claps its clawed hands together. “Arrow Demon. Outsider class C. Codename: Volley. Respond.” Likewise the wiry creature places its both sets of palms together and bows its head. “I return the two of you, Chase and Volley, to the service of your masters; for now your duties are complete. Send my regards. You are hereby Dismissed.”

There is a pulse of wild enchantment magic as the two outsiders return to a much less servile demeanor, their original personalities reasserted over the spells used to keep them in check, but both vanish off the material plane long before they could take action against the Horned Devil. It does not pause or wait or gather its thoughts.

The very moment one task has been completed another task begins.

Ideas and suggestions and conflicting thoughts all meet midair and blend into a confusing slurry few could give order to, but there is a subtle order making each sound lock into place. All of these things lock a binding circle that is still being drawn in the air to the essence of the creature that will soon fill it and wedge apart the fabric of the planes to yank the creature to the Horned Devil’s side. Something with the Torso of a man atop the body of a massive slug is placed before the Horned Devil and he soon finishes his address to the universe to speak to it instead.

“Xerfilstyx. Outsider class B. Wandering duke of the River Styx. Codename: Ledger. You are to aid in my research for an unspecified period of time. Respond.” Something subtle slips through the Horned Devils words and takes root in the bound chimeric creature. All at once dozens of carefully interconnected and layered spells are either triggered anew or made useful for the first time in centuries. The devil looks ensures the demon’s loyalty with a surge of intricate magic that weaves through the many, many enchantments already in place to alter the Xerfilstyx’s perception of reality even further; a moment later it looks upon the devil with the full devotion of a long-time friend and bows its head to the devil it now serves.
    “Response acknowledged. I hereby request that you speak of any items possessing great power that once belonged to Kas the Bloody-Handed. Make full use of the false memories implanted with your mind and the mystical abilities that replicate the spell Legend Lore by magically connecting minutiae of information you have personally acquired with imprints of the information possessed by those you have interacted with in the past or during your delusions.”

The Horned Devil’s factual knowledge is great enough to overcome any falsehoods or misinterpretations Ledger might say, so it expresses little concern about those things.

Spoiler: crunch
    Show
    ----- Crunch -----
    Ego will first use pace the library while making several checks to determine which artefacts would be most useful in bringing down Vecna, favoring those related to Kas and the vampire’s battle against the Lich before the Vecna’s apotheosis.
    Knowledge Arcane: (1d20+38)[57]
    Knowledge Religion: (1d20+19)[23]
    Facts and Figures (Barding Lore emulating ability granted by Lexeme): (1d20+19)[36]
    This is done over roughly 5 minutes while Ego paces through the library skimming books.
    -----
    This is followed by Ego releasing both Chase and Volley from their petrification and then returning the two outsiders to their places of origin by ending the Planar Binding emulating effect on them while reasserting their original minds/personalities over the version of them that serve his will.

Truespeak check to release Chase from Petrification: (1d20+45)[46] vs DC 33
    Truespeak check to release Volley from Petrification: (1d20+45)[55] vs DC 33

Second set of checks incase either attempt fails:
    Truespeak check to release Chase from Petrification: (1d20+45)[51] vs DC 33
    Truespeak check to release Volley from Petrification: (1d20+45)[51] vs DC 33

-----
    Ego will then Bind a Xerfilstyx (Fiend Folio page 59 updated and nerfed on page 138 of Fiendish Codex) which goes by the assigned name ‘Ledger’ to his will once more.

The Xerfilstyx must make a will save DC 29 to resist being called by the Truebinding ability (from Fiendbinder Prestige class).

Ego must make a caster level check to beat the creature’s 29 SR. Infernal Bargaining applis a -2 penalty on this possibility for it to escape, effectively boosting Ego’s caster level by 2. Demon Mastery increases his caster level by another 1. +5 from Unorthodox Bindings. If spell penetration and Greater spell penetration apply they further increase his check by +4.
    (Normal effective Truenamer level: 17. +1 from Demons mastery. +2 from Infernal Bargaining. +5 Unorthodox Bindings)
    (1d20+25)[35] +4 if Spell Penetration applies.

Ego will use a Truebinding attempt with Word Wardings (making the DC 20) to create a Magic Circle like effect for the binding, enhance the calling diagram in the Magic Circle created by Word Wardings with Dimension Brackets to ensure the creature cannot escape (increase the truespeak DC to create the effect from 20 to 22), increase the caster level against escape attempts by 5 with Unorthodox Bindings (by increasing the difficulty of making the Truespeak check by another 3 points, bringing it up from 22 to 25), increase his future opposed Charisma check by 5 with Imposing Visage(by increasing the truespeak check by another 6 points, bringing it from 25 to 31) and use Enhanced Pentacle to force the bound creature to complete two tasks (by increasing the Truespeak DC by another 8, bringing it up from 31 to 39).

Truespeak check vs DC 39 to Bind the Ledger, the Xerfilstyx: (1d20+45)[59]

Opposed charisma check information: His request isn’t a reasonable one normally, but Ego has prepared many effects to make sure the Creature will consider it to reasonable; the following is without accounting for those spells and preparations. Ego receives +2 to this opposed Charisma check from Demon mastery (+2), +5 from Imposing Visage (+7 total), +6 from Truename Affinity which is granted by his bloodline (+13). Ego has a charisma modifier of +9 bringing to total bonus for this check up to +22 vs the Devil’s total bonus on the check to +5 from its Charisma modifier.

Opposed Check: (1d20+22)[26] vs its Charisma check.

-----
    Finally, Ego will use his once per day Charm Monster SLA on the Xerfilstyx. Ledger must make a will save DC 35 to resist the effect. Immunity to mind affecting spells and effects does not apply fully; it merely receives a +4 on its will save if it would be immune to the effect.

Once everything is said and done Ego will discuss artefacts that could harm or destroy Vecna, focusing on those owned or realted to Kas. This is followed up by the Xerfilstyx casting Legend lore; the because it is cast as an SLA it has no cost, but the duration is probably either (1d4)[2] x 10 minutes or (1d10)[10] days.

List of spells that have been cast on these beings in the past to prepare them for repeated service:

Spoiler: 'Pet' loadout
    Show
    Bestow Curse: -4 penalty to saves, skill checks, SR and abilities checks vs Enchantment effects, Calling effects and Binding related effects.
    Greater Bestow Curse: -8 penalty to saves, skill checks, SR and abilities checks vs Enchantment effects, Calling effects or Binding related effects.
    Programmed Amnesia #1: a servile, loyal persona is set to replace the being’s existing one. Its original persona and memories are considered the consequences of a spell which has, thankfully, been removed.
    Programmed Amnesia #2: Its original persona and memories are returned and the memories of service are buried deep within its mind, all but forgotten until they are summoned forth at a later date.
    Mindrape: reinforcement of Programmed Amnesia 1 and 2, with specific changes to ensure it does not takes action to ensure the spells placed upon it by Ego are never removed.
    Familial Geas: “Serve your master, who will make become known to you by use of your truest hidden name, to the best of your ability.”
    Necrotic Cyst
    Necrotic Domination: Permanent version of the spell

The above calculations are all without these being applied. It is likely that extremely powerful beings connected to other powerful beings would have some or all of these effects removed; this is yet another reason Ego prefers to bind weaker creatures who are not important enough for such measures to be taken.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Dharma
    Show
    Dharma's immense body of knowledge, combined with her consultation of her Tome, yields a wealth of useful information.

Only three artifacts of any appreciable power are associated with Vecna in particular - the Hand of Vecna, the Eye of Vecna, and the Sword of Kas. The Hand and Eye are powerful remnants of Vecna's form as a lich, before his ascension to godhood, removed from his body by the Vampire Kas, using the Sword that bears his name. To gain the powers of the Hand or Eye of Vecna, one must replace their own corresponding member with the artifact. In concert, the Hand and Eye of Vecna are considerably more powerful than apart, but open the bearer to Vecna's influence. The Hand of Vecna was last seen in the possession of a powerful necromancer on Oerth, believed to be a high-ranking member of Vecna's cult, who disappeared a century ago. The Eye is supposedly kept safe by the priesthood of Pholtus, hidden within some great reliquary. The Sword of Kas has long been held in the hoard of Tiamat, according to the histories you have learned, since it was gifted to her by a mighty Blackguard, whose name is lost to the ages. (Your checks are high enough to get the full history of the artifacts and a laundry list of bearers, as well as an exhaustive list of their powers. Consider this an executive summary of what you know, hitting the most salient points, including the most recent even vaguely known bearers.)

You imagine that a suitably powerful arcanist, possessed of the three artifacts, with sufficient preparation, could use them to call the Maimed God forth in his full divinity, even bind him for a time. However, what the Forge Elder described - cutting off the divine essence of Vecna - is not, to your knowledge, possible, even with all three artifacts gathered. Some other ritual or artifact, or perhaps the aid of an even greater power, would be required to do so. A few possibilities stand out as most likely, however.

The Scepter of the Sorcerer Kings is an immensely powerful, incredibly ancient weapon, created by the kings of ancient Netheril on Toril to challenge the deities themselves. It has the power to cut off a world from the power of a god, among other such uses. From what little you know of this storied rod, in the hands of skilled wielder, it would be more than capable of barring Vecna from his divine powers. However, its resting place has been lost to time.

Vecna has long been at odds with Iuz the Evil, a minor power who resides on Oerth. It is more than possible he has some hand in this business, given his well known enmity towards the Maimed God, but from what you know of him, he is not capable of such a feat alone.

While it seems particularly unlikely that its release is likely, given that Death and the Elder did not seem overly concerned with the matter of the challenge to Vecna, an ancient entity known as Pandorym, bound by the ancient Imaskarans of Toril, is believed to be capable of genocide against the gods. A fraction of its power, which is anathema to the divine, might allow the crippling of Vecna in such a manner.

While none hold grudges against the Archlich in particular, any of the Demon Princes or Archdevils might well desire a portion of his divinity, and might possess the power and resources to work such a thing.

Acererak and Kas, two former servants of the Undying King, might possess hidden knowledge of his weaknesses or additional, secret artifacts related to his apotheosis. However, both of the two have been slain and torn from reality, and now are but Vestiges. It is plausible, perhaps, that some knowledge might be extracted from them with the proper rituals, or even that they might be reconstituted, but such a thing is utterly unheard of, and you aren't certain how one would go about doing so.
    Vecna once was imprisoned within the Demiplane of Dread by the mysterious Dark Powers. While he made his escape, thought to be impossible for a Dark Lord, there is a chance – however slim – that they retain some power over him.

Implausible as it may seem, the powers and laws of the Far Realm are completely mysterious to scholars, mortal and immortal alike. The warping of reality contact with it tends to cause could do most anything – perhaps even strip a god of his essence.

Spoiler: Ego
    Show
    Ego's great wealth of information allows him many useful insights.

Only three artifacts of any appreciable power are associated with Vecna in particular - the Hand of Vecna, the Eye of Vecna, and the Sword of Kas. The Hand and Eye are powerful remnants of Vecna's form as a lich, before his ascension to godhood, removed from his body by the Vampire Kas, using the Sword that bears his name. To gain the powers of the Hand or Eye of Vecna, one must replace their own corresponding member with the artifact. In concert, the Hand and Eye of Vecna are considerably more powerful than apart, but open the bearer to Vecna's influence.

You imagine that a suitably powerful arcanist, possessed of the three artifacts, with sufficient preparation, could use them to call the Maimed God forth in his full divinity, even bind him for a time.

The Scepter of the Sorcerer Kings is an immensely powerful, incredibly ancient weapon, created by the kings of ancient Netheril on Toril to challenge the deities themselves. It has the power to cut off a world from the power of a deity, among other such uses.

Will Save 1: (1d20-4)[13]
    Will Save 2: (1d20-4)[12]

It auto-fails the opposed Charisma check.

10 day casting time on the Legend Lore.

Coincidentally, Facts and Figures doesn't mimic Bardic Knowledge; it's limited to a small selection of topics (statistics, birth names, dates, or places), and only counts as Bardic Knowledge for prerequisites.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"Does one of us possess a means of Scrying? Warded they might be, it could gleam something still, if they do not feel the sensor. And... I am sorry. What is your name? There are spare bedrooms you may use to make a space of your own. The deck of Mishann's Pride is not a safe place for delicate work and papers." Josephine says, sitting cross-legged in the air. She breathes in, and begins chanting, one spell after another, knowledge unknown and unavailable making themselves known.

Spoiler
    Show
    So... here we go.

Lore of the Gods: 210 minute duration. +10 Insight Bonus to all Knowledge checks, as Cyndor has Knowledge in his Portfolio. Lets me retry one skill check. Uses TBD based on failed checks.
    Spiritual Advisor: 21 minute duration. +4 Insight Bonus to all Knowledge checks. Does not stack with Lore of the Gods, but it does allow me to make untrained knowledge checks as if trained. Used once.
    Guidance of the Avatar: 1 use, 1 minute duration: +20 Competence Bonus to any one Knowledge check. Used five times.
    Divine Insight: 1 use, 24 hour duration: +15 Insight Bonus to any one Knowledge check. Used five times.

Using Versatile Spellcaster to turn 6 1st level spells into 3 2nd level spells, to fuel three castings of Divine Insight.

Knowledge: Arcana: (Guidance and Divine Insight): (1d20+66)[84]
    Knowledge: Local: (Guidance and Divine Insight): (1d20+42)[58]
    Knowledge: Nature: (Guidance and Divine Insight): (1d20+42)[49]
    Knowledge: The Planes: (Guidance and Divine Insight): (1d20+42)[52]
    Knowledge: Religion: (Guidance and Divine Insight): (1d20+66)[81]

Favored Soul Spells: 6/4/2/10/10/9/9/9/8/8.

25. - Top - End - #25

AS Josephine lapses into her version of studying, Therosan considers the crystal stick hybrid thing he's been carving on, then nods. Tucking it into a spare pouch on his belt, he withdraws a length of parchment, then starts scribbling. After a minute or two, he has what appears to be a scroll of some sort.

Placing his hand upon it, he forces power into it far in excess of what it would normally hold. But then again, it only has to hold for a moment...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Utilizing Grand Creator's Wondercraft ability to make a scroll of Greater Scrying. Spellcraft versus a DC of 27 (1d20+27)[39] = Passed.

Also using Astaroth's Angelic Lore (Bardic Knowledge as a Bard of my effective Binder level=20= (1d20+27)[42])
    Last edited by Zarthrax; 2014-07-24 at 11:35 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Once he's done quickly crafting the scroll of Greater Scrying, he reads it slowly, one word at a time, while he plies one of the entities that he makes contact with regularly for more information.

Astaroth, a question. Will the consulting of Therus Liriam upon the matter of the item theft give us useful information as to the identity of the thief?

The question finishes just as the scroll is completely read, leaving the man reeling from the influx of knowledge...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Using Spell Completion Pact to simultaneously invoke Astaroth's Divination power (as the spell, 90% chance to work) and use the Greater Scying scroll.

Due to the paucity of knowledge or connection with the Vecnarian trio, they get a DC 20 will save to make, with a +5 bonus.

Yeah, but I can try on someone with a lower Will save when I have more info. Perhaps a dumb fighter cohort or some such.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Josephine
    Show
    Knowledge: Arcana and Knowledge: Religion - See Dharma's spoiler. No further useful information is available via a Knowledge Check.
    Knowledge: Local and Knowledge: Nature - No useful information on the topic at hand is available via either of these skills.

Knowledge: The Planes - The worlds of Oerth and Toril are both on the Material Plane, though in different Crystal Spheres. Travel via the Ethereal Plane or Astral Plane will not allow you to simply Plane Shift or Teleport your way into their spheres, though such spells will function within them once you have arrived. To travel between spheres without the need for a Spelljammer, which would take a not-insignificant length of time, travel through the Deep Shadow Plane or a Portal would be necessary. You are aware of several portals that allow travel to and from each of these worlds, across the Outer Planes, and could navigate to them relatively quickly. You also have sufficient knowledge of the Shadow Plane that you could bring Mishann's Pride to either world in a few hours. Both routes, however, are not without danger, as the Deep Shadow and most Portal locations you know of are inhabited by extremely dangerous entities.

The Demiplane of Dread is located in the Deep Ethereal, nigh-impossible to reach without a portal. One such portal exists on Oerth, in Castle Greyhawk, and a bare few others are scattered throughout the planes.

Spoiler: Therosan
    Show
    Greater Scrying: The Spell fails.

Divination: "Name behind name, shadow within shadow. The madness speaks truth, warped by the lies."

Angelic Lore: The Oracle of Ellyn'Taal is likely the only being in existence, short of the gods themselves, who knows the location of the Scepter of the Sorcerer Kings. He resides in the ruins of the ancient Illithid city of Ellyn'Taal in the Northdark beneath the face of Toril, but extracts a heavy price for any information.

Astaroth seems reluctant to yield the next piece of information, as impossible as it may seem. There is indeed a way to reconstitute a vestige, so long as sufficient remnants of its original form exist. Such a thing would be a work of Epic Magic, and require the aid of Vecna himself, the only one knowing the secrets of the nothingness they reside in. It further would require the acquiescence of both Life and Death, to permit the Vestige's re-entry into the cycle. The full repercussions of such an action are impossible to predict, even for the fallen angel.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"I know how to move to move to either Oerth or Toril, should we choose to pursue that venture, but I state this not as suggestion, but to open that option. I recede my vote. Where should we go first."

29. - Top - End - #29

"I vote Toril. I have some information that should help. I can share it when we get there, or when the others finish their preparations."

30. - Top - End - #30

“It is my suggestion that we travel to Toril first. I’m sure the information each of you have acquired in this short period of time fosters the belief that the information that could be gained from travelling to one specific location would be invaluable, but the ruins of the Netherese, coupled with other locations near it and the offer of sampling the information of those who have looked into the fall of the Netheril Empire, have piqued my interest. The possible benefits from travelling there should be of similar value to the advantages of going elsewhere, momentarily disregarding the alternatives to traveling to either of those locations; I must admit that I currently lack the necessary information to enumerate the exact benefits of each possibility.

I thank you, Josephine, for your concern over my pages. Magic binds them to my being, but I see no reason to take unnecessary risks with your hospitable offer standing. Those gathered may address me as you see fit. For the sake of simplicity I give you the name many beings recognize me by: ‘Ego’.”
    It speaks the word sharply and many pages near each cover of the book it strokes rustle in response to the power held within the tome aligning itself with the power of the Horned Devil’s name. “I will typically recognize when I am being addressed by another name, though the beings that serve under me may suffer some confusion. It would be to our mutual benefit to merely call me ‘Ego’.” Whether this is a title, a pseudonym or its actual name is not even hinted at, but Ego seems largely satisfied with the information it has made available.

“Is there any immediately pertinent information about your preferred routes to our destination, which I currently assume is Toril, that we would need in order to prepare ourselves? Much of my power is invested in the acquisition of highly capable subordinates, so calling upon the correct ones is absolutely vital for our expedition to receive the full benefit of my abilities.”

The Xerfilstyx continues working its magic into a form that emulates the spell Legend Lore without Ego’s input. It is likely to continue doing so until the spell is completed or Ego stops the Devil with a new command.