New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Mutants & Masterminds III: How to build some powers?

Hi there! Our group is new to M&M, and as the most experienced GM in our group, the task for running a game has fallen to me. There's a couple of powers I'm trying to stat (one for a character and another for an NPC) that I'm not too sure how to go about statting.

The first is super-luck type ability, one where the character is difficult to hit (as are his allies), lucky synchronicities happen, etc. I was thinking something like a area enhanced defenses that affect allies, but that one ability was really expensive! Want to see if anyone else can stat that power to fit better with a PL10 character. The character I have in mind doesn't have much in the way of other virtues, so his don't need many other points left over abilities, skills, and stuff, but I don't want to have his entire allocation of PP to go just to his powers.

The second, for the PC, was they player was wanting some sort of reality alteration power. I was thinking it would probably include a large allocation to Variable, but once again I'm pretty sure there's a better way to do it, I just don't have the skill to find it. Oh, and by "Reality Alteration," the player means that the character can say, "This happens!" and it does, like a moderately powerful Wish effect.

So thanks in advance for all the help! If I have more questions, I'll be sure to ask !

~Phoenix~
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mutants & Masterminds III: How to build some powers?

There are three stages of power creation in M&M, as I see 'em.
    1. What the power is, also known as "the fluff stage." In the case of your first request, the answer is "luck control."
    2. What the power does. Don't think in terms of specific mechanics yet, but try to imagine how the power would interact with the gameworld. Continuing the previous example, your answer might be "protect my allies and I."
    3. How the power works. Once you can answer the previous question, then you can find the effects to match.

The second step is vital, especially when you're first starting out. After all, you're usually not just picking a power off a list; if you want to construct a custom power, you need to have a really good grasp of what you're trying to build.

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    The first is super-luck type ability, one where the character is difficult to hit (as are his allies), lucky synchronicities happen, etc. I was thinking something like a area enhanced defenses that affect allies, but that one ability was really expensive! Want to see if anyone else can stat that power to fit better with a PL10 character. The character I have in mind doesn't have much in the way of other virtues, so his don't need many other points left over abilities, skills, and stuff, but I don't want to have his entire allocation of PP to go just to his powers.
    Have you looked at the Luck Control power? That'll get you a lot of the classic reroll powers, although you're going to have a pretty limited pool of resources. You can also look at non-luck related effects to build related "luck control" powers:
    • Deflect is the premiere "protect my allies" power, and can be fluffed most ways. The Reflect and Redirect extras work well with a "luck control" descriptor.
    • (Perception) Ranged Damage, Indirect 4, Variable Descriptor 2 (Bad Luck) makes for a wonderful "stuff goes wrong" power. Your enemies run into walls, their guns backfire, pianos drop on their heads-- anything goes.
    • Perception Affliction (Impaired and Vulnerable, Disabled and Defenseless), Subtle, Insidious will make everything just go wrong for an enemy.

The second, for the PC, was they player was wanting some sort of reality alteration power. I was thinking it would probably include a large allocation to Variable, but once again I'm pretty sure there's a better way to do it, I just don't have the skill to find it. Oh, and by "Reality Alteration," the player means that the character can say, "This happens!" and it does, like a moderately powerful Wish effect.
    Ah. Well, then. Whatever you do, don't use Variable-- especially in a new group. Luckily, you can cover a lot of ground with a small array:
    • Perception Continuous Transform, at the maximum "anything to anything" level, will give you "your gun is a snake!" trickery.
    • Perception Create, Permanent, Subtle, Innate will handle "when suddenly, a car" thingies.
    • (Perception) Damage, Variable Descriptor 2 (Anything) covers any damage effects you might want. You might take a second Alternate Effect with a few ranks of Area (Shapeable); you'll be able to afford it if you're starting with the Transform power.
    • Perception Move Object, Damaging, Precise might be necessary for making things move around when you tell 'em to.
    • You could do a Summon, Active/Heroic, Continuous, Variable Type 2, but I don't recommend it-- statting up full characters on the fly sounds like a nightmare even for an experienced group. You might allow it for a set of common summons, created in advance, I suppose.
    • Transform can simulate a lot of afflictions (and it's been recommended in a Power Profile that you allow it to do so without requiring an "official" power stunt), but you might take a separate Affliction power-- the Illusion Power Profile proposes a "Variable Condition" modifier for +2 points/rank, allowing you to choose what condition the Affliction imposes whenever you use it.

But honestly, those first two (Transform and Create) cover so much of the "I speak and the world changes" that you barely need the rest.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There are three stages of power creation in M&M, as I see 'em.
    1. What the power is, also known as "the fluff stage." In the case of your first request, the answer is "luck control."
    2. What the power does. Don't think in terms of specific mechanics yet, but try to imagine how the power would interact with the gameworld. Continuing the previous example, your answer might be "protect my allies and I."
    3. How the power works. Once you can answer the previous question, then you can find the effects to match.

The second step is vital, especially when you're first starting out. After all, you're usually not just picking a power off a list; if you want to construct a custom power, you need to have a really good grasp of what you're trying to build.
    Thank you. When we first were messing around with M&M missing that step was, I think, our single biggest stumbling block as a group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Thank you. When we first were messing around with M&M missing that step was, I think, our single biggest stumbling block as a group.

One of these days I really need to go back and finish that "D&D Player's Guide to M&M" I started last summer...
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

5. - Top - End - #5

Thanks, Grod! That's very helpful!

The advice for the reality revision power is much better than what I was planning to do! I'll definitely use that!

The advice for the luck control was great, too, but not quite what I was going for. The power isn't "Luck Control", it's "Super Luck." The character isn't supposed to have any conscious control of the power, it just makes his extraordinarily lucky.

For example, a sniper is targeting the character from far away. The character has no idea, but just as the sniper fires, a sudden gust of wind comes across to deflect the bullet, and the character sees something on the ground that makes him bend down. Mechanically, the character gets a big bonus to deflect and parry defenses that don't depend on actions on his part, and aren't lost if he is caught unaware. I did initially look at Deflect, but the description says it always require an action, which is exactly what I didn't want.

The Luck Control power looks good too, I was going to include that one as well, but I hadn't gotten around to it.

The other thing I wanted was something that gives him just good luck in general situations. So a table is always ready just as he walks into the restaurant, the crosswalk always goes to green as he arrives, he always gets a cab right when he needs one, etc. I'm pretty sure that can be covered by a Feature, though. So that part's easy .

But anyways, like I said, thanks a lot!
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The advice for the luck control was great, too, but not quite what I was going for. The power isn't "Luck Control", it's "Super Luck." The character isn't supposed to have any conscious control of the power, it just makes his extraordinarily lucky.
    That sounds like Continuous Enhanced Defense to me, with the descriptor of "unconscious luck." Maybe Protection or Enhanced Advantage (Defense Roll) too. Perhaps even some Luck Control to force enemy rerolls.

The issue, of course, is if you want to protect other characters, without using Deflect. Most of the above options run into PL limits, although Luck Control (force rerolls, spend Luck/hero points to allow others to reroll) can help. Hmm... what about Impervious Dodge and Parry, Also Affects Others?

The other thing I wanted was something that gives him just good luck in general situations. So a table is always ready just as he walks into the restaurant, the crosswalk always goes to green as he arrives, he always gets a cab right when he needs one, etc. I'm pretty sure that can be covered by a Feature, though. So that part's easy .
    That's pretty much word-for-word one of the suggested Features from the Luck Power Profile, aye. (They call it "Charmed Life.")

But anyways, like I said, thanks a lot!
    No problem. Feel free to ask if you've got any more questions.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know about M&M 3e, but in 2e you can deflect as a free action or reaction if you buy the Action extra. That can be easily fluffed as an unconscious power.

There is also a luck power in Ultimate Power, which lets you reroll results of up to power rank. Obviously this is really powerful at higher ranks.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know about M&M 3e, but in 2e you can deflect as a free action or reaction if you buy the Action extra. That can be easily fluffed as an unconscious power.
    Nah in 3rd edition it's explicitely stated:

Action: Because it requires the defend action, Deflect cannot take less than a standard action. To create a kind of “deflection field” or similar effect that automatically deflects attacks over a wide area, use an Enhanced Dodge and/or Enhanced Parry effect with modifiers like Area and Selective.
    I didn't thought that was possible but they managed to make deflect even less interesting

So yeah anyway, you are probably better off with the enhanced defense field and if you once want a deflect, save it as a power stunt.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2014-06-04 at 02:49 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

9. - Top - End - #9

Thanks again, Grod! Yeah, area Enhanced Defenses is what I tried at first, but as you mentioned it gets expensive fast...I dunno, I think about what I want to do.

I also have another character (a PC this time) who's powers I want to run by you. I think I've got this one worked out, but I want to make sure.

The player is basing this off a book series, I think. There are two main powers: the ability to push and pull metal objects, and the ability to alter his density.

Both of these are fairly simple, but I wanted to run some things by you:

For Push & Pull Metal, obviously we'd be going with Move Object. The question is should I apply the Limited modifier twice (limited to Push and Pull, and limited to Metal objects), or only once? Also, some additional effects I was thinking of that would probably work well with this power would be some sort of enhanced defenses limited to against metal weapons, and maybe area Deflect limited against metal weapons as well. Does that seem reasonable?

For the Density changing, I thought there was a Density effect (Rocky in the Emerald City book has it), but It doesn't seem as though there is. What do you think I should use there, and how much would it cost? Also, the player wants to be able to alter his Density; what sort of action should it be? I was thinking of also some linked alternate effects as well: when he decreases his density, he gains leaping to the same number of ranks he decreased it by (or maybe twice the ranks or something), and when he increases his density, he gains Impervious Toughness for the number of ranks he increased by (he becomes denser, so his skin is harder to pierce). Does that sound good? Any other effects you think should accompany this power?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just getting used to the system ...

~Phoenix~

EDIT: Also, one more ability I was wanting to know how to do, this time for an NPC: something like sympathetic magic from Mage - where the physical distance between you and your target doesn't matter, just your emotional/psychic connection to the target. It's being used for a telepathy-type power, but it could really apply to anything. I'm not sure anything like that exists regularly...maybe I can add an additional range? Beyond Perception is Sympathetic?
    Last edited by Absol197; 2014-06-08 at 05:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I also have another character (a PC this time) who's powers I want to run by you. I think I've got this one worked out, but I want to make sure.

The player is basing this off a book series, I think. There are two main powers: the ability to push and pull metal objects, and the ability to alter his density.
    I literally just finished reading that book, like, Wednesday. One of my all-time favorites.

For Push & Pull Metal, obviously we'd be going with Move Object. The question is should I apply the Limited modifier twice (limited to Push and Pull, and limited to Metal objects), or only once? Also, some additional effects I was thinking of that would probably work well with this power would be some sort of enhanced defenses limited to against metal weapons, and maybe area Deflect limited against metal weapons as well. Does that seem reasonable?
    Yes and yes. You should absolutely apply the Limit twice, as both are fairly, well, limiting, even when applied consecutively like that. The extra effects also seem OK. (Though, again, enhanced defenses don't work straight, as you should already be at your PL caps. Something like Immunity 10 (metal weapons), Sustained would be better.)

Also, knowing your source material (Branden Sanderson's Mistborn series, specifically Alloy of Law), there are a few more effects/quirks of the power to consider:
    • Allomancers can only Push or Pull objects lighter than them; any heavier, and they're the ones that move. Because this character can manipulate his density, that's not a big deal; maybe a 1- or 2-point quirk (to limit the Move Object) For Pushing/Pulling on heavier objects, I'd make an alternate effect, something like Fly, Limited (only towards or away from metals), Quirk -1 (only in straight lines), Subtle. Or Leaping, Limited (only towards or away from metals) if you want a less graceful flight.
    • Allomancers burning iron and steel (like this guy) can sense metals-- something like Senses 5 (Detect Metal, Ranged, Acute, Accurate) seems about right.

For the Density changing, I thought there was a Density effect (Rocky in the Emerald City book has it), but It doesn't seem as though there is. What do you think I should use there, and how much would it cost? Also, the player wants to be able to alter his Density; what sort of action should it be? I was thinking of also some linked alternate effects as well: when he decreases his density, he gains leaping to the same number of ranks he decreased it by (or maybe twice the ranks or something), and when he increases his density, he gains Impervious Toughness for the number of ranks he increased by (he becomes denser, so his skin is harder to pierce). Does that sound good? Any other effects you think should accompany this power?
    For density manipulation, one of the power profiles lists it as Growth, Does Not Change Size (+0 modifier), but that doesn't seem quite right, as Feruchemists store strength separately. So, as this is M&M, we look at what the power does, mechanically. Increased density makes you slower but harder to hurt; reduced density makes you faster and more agile. Hmm...
    • Enhanced Stamina, linked to Reduced Dodge and Parry, linked to Impervious Toughness, linked to Feature 1 or 2: Increased Mass ought to do it for density growth. Maybe throw in some Reduced Speed.
    • Enhanced Agility, linked to Reduced Stamina, linked to Impervious Dodge, linked to Feature 1 or 2: Decreased Mass should work for getting lighter. You can also throw in a bit of Enhanced Speed and a rank or two of Leaping if you want.

EDIT: Also, one more ability I was wanting to know how to do, this time for an NPC: something like sympathetic magic from Mage - where the physical distance between you and your target doesn't matter, just your emotional/psychic connection to the target. It's being used for a telepathy-type power, but it could really apply to anything. I'm not sure anything like that exists regularly...maybe I can add an additional range? Beyond Perception is Sympathetic?
    Mmm... you could do that, I suppose. You could also build the sympathetic link as a sensory power of some sort. Detect [target], Ranged, Extended [a bunch; 6 ought to get you all the way to the other side of the planet with no significant penalty], Penetrates Concealment, Accurate. Or some sort of Limited Remote Sensing power, but that's likely to be even more expensive. (I'd do it that last way, but I've also houseruled Remote Sensing ranges to be based off the Communications chart, so that's no help)
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2014-06-08 at 08:14 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Thanks for all your help, Grod! I'll see what the player wants to do, and how accurate he wants his powers to be to the book.

So, I've statted up a character I invented a while ago, and I wanted to run the powers I hammered out by you, to see if there's a more elegant way of doing things. I am going to house-rule Sympathetic as a range, basically the range past Perception. Basically, for more distant level of sympathy (Perception, Intimate, Known, Acquainted, Encountered, Described), your checks/effect DCs get a -2, but there's no limit to the physical distance.

I also don't know the general way that powers are usually presented, so hopefully my fumbling attempt is readable . If there is a more streamlined way to do this I'd love to know, because as written the character is beyond PL 20. I knew she was strong, but she shouldn't be that powerful!

Spoiler: Powers
    Show
    Bestial Form:
    • Beast Senses Enhanced Skill 2 (Perception +4), Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Ultra-Vision, Extended Ultra Hearing, Acute Smell) –7 points
    • Feline Physiology Claws (Enhanced Advantage 1 (Improved Critical (unarmed)), Leaping 2, Speed 3, Enhanced Skills (Acrobatics +7, Athletics +5)) – 14 points

Spoiler: Explanation
    Show
    The character is a humanoid leopard, so she has enhanced senses, claws, and physical abilities slightly beyond the norm.

Chi Senses: Senses 46 (Mental Awareness: Counters Illusion, Extended, Ranged (sympathetic), Rapid; Life Sense: Accurate; all mental senses are Acute, Affects Others, Analytical (Close Range only), Awareness, Danger Sense, Radius; Precognition, Postcognition) – 46 points

Show
    The character (Kyra for now on, because that's her name and it's easier ) has two major forms of super senses: the ability to sense minds and the presence of other living things. She can also see into the future and past. I was wanting to do something where she can use her ability to read minds, sense someone's life force, and see into the future a few moments to increase her combat abilities, but I'm not sure what I should use, and there's so much more that needs to be covered I've left it off for now...

Telepathy:
    • Comprehend 8 (Animals 2, Languages 2 (Quirk: must be able to sense target able to speak language with Mental Awareness), Objects, Plants, Spirits) – 17 points
    • Mind Reading 10 (cumulative, Effortless, Sensory Link, Subtle 1) linked to Mental Communication 3 (Perception/Sympathetic range, Area, Rapid, Subtle 2, Selective, Feature 2 (not language dependent, confers Rapid to recipients), Dynamic – 71 points
    • AE: Illusion 14 (selective, resisted by Will) – 2 points
    • AE: Mental Blast (Perception Range Multiattack Damage 10) – 2 Points

Show
    With her telepathy, Kyra can communicate mentally with just about any life form, from bacteria through higher life forms. She can also read minds very well, create mental illusions, and attack with her mind. I added multiattack because I wanted her to be able to mind blast multiple targets at once. I figure that instead of taking the -1 attack penalty per extra target, it decreases the DC.

Chi Manipulation:
    • Healing: Energizing Persistent Restorative Resurrection Stabilize Healing 5 – 26 points
    • AE: Vigor: Variable 3 (Limited—only Enhanced Abilities; Fades) – 1 point
    • AE: Drain Chi: Cumulative Affliction 6 (impaired, disabled, paralyzed) linked to Broad (abilities) Precise Weaken 6 – 1 point

Show
    Kyra can manipulate a target's life force with a touch, including healing or harming the target. She can also give herself a sort-term boost to her ability scores. I gave it Fades because she boosts herself by "borrowing" life-energy from the life-forms around her. But what's borrowed must be paid back, so after borrowing too much (Fading the power to 0), she has to pay it back, usually by allowing small amounts of energy bleed off during the day.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I also don't know the general way that powers are usually presented, so hopefully my fumbling attempt is readable . If there is a more streamlined way to do this I'd love to know, because as written the character is beyond PL 20. I knew she was strong, but she shouldn't be that powerful!
    I'll see what I can do. The biggest problem seems to be that you're trying to build too disparate a character-- you're a half-leopard (powerset 1) with strong telepathy (powerset 2) and life-force manipulation (powerset 3), and a touch of temporal power (powerset 4), including (often extremely) strong sensory components for all of those powersets (let's call it powerset 5). Typically, an M&M character can have one big (4-5 points/rank) powerset, two medium ones (3 points/rank) or three small powersets (2 points/rank) and still have enough points for defenses, skills, key advantages, and little flavorful bits.

Bestial Form:
    Nothing weird here. You probably don't have to have all of the Enhanced stuff written up as a special power, unless you're shapeshifting in and out of the feline form, but no biggie. (I guess it could leave you open to some weird Nullify?)

Chi Senses: Senses 46 (Mental Awareness: Counters Illusion, Extended, Ranged (sympathetic), Rapid; Life Sense: Accurate; all mental senses are Acute, Affects Others, Analytical (Close Range only), Awareness, Danger Sense, Radius; Precognition, Postcognition) – 46 points

Show
    The character (Kyra for now on, because that's her name and it's easier ) has two major forms of super senses: the ability to sense minds and the presence of other living things. She can also see into the future and past. I was wanting to do something where she can use her ability to read minds, sense someone's life force, and see into the future a few moments to increase her combat abilities, but I'm not sure what I should use, and there's so much more that needs to be covered I've left it off for now...
    Yeesh. 46 points of senses is... yeesh. There's not a lot you can do to save points here besides cutting out bits you don't really want. Try something like this?
    • Chi Sense: Senses 8 (Detect Life, Ranged, Acute, Accurate; Detect Minds, Ranged; Mental Awareness)
    • Temporal Sight: Senses 9 (Precognition, Postcognition, Danger Sense).

(You might also attach some Enhanced Dodge and Parry to Temporal Sight-- just account for them when you're figuring out how much Toughness to get)

Telepathy:
    • Comprehend 8 (Animals 2, Languages 2 (Quirk: must be able to sense target able to speak language with Mental Awareness), Objects, Plants, Spirits) – 17 points
    • Mind Reading 10 (cumulative, Effortless, Sensory Link, Subtle 1) linked to Mental Communication 3 (Perception/Sympathetic range, Area, Rapid, Subtle 2, Selective, Feature 2 (not language dependent, confers Rapid to recipients), Dynamic – 71 points
    • AE: Illusion 14 (selective, resisted by Will) – 2 points
    • AE: Mental Blast (Perception Range Multiattack Damage 10) – 2 Points

Show
    With her telepathy, Kyra can communicate mentally with just about any life form, from bacteria through higher life forms. She can also read minds very well, create mental illusions, and attack with her mind. I added multiattack because I wanted her to be able to mind blast multiple targets at once. I figure that instead of taking the -1 attack penalty per extra target, it decreases the DC.
    Seems like a fair interpretation of Perception Multiattack to me.

The way to save points here would be to expand that array, methinks. And separate the Mind Reading from the Mental Communication. You can maybe keep a Communication 1 in there, if you really want to be able to talk to your target while mind reading them, but I wouldn't do more than that. Comprehend, being telepathically based, could go in the array as well. (Again, perhaps with a Communication 1 attached). The final version, then, might look more like:
    • Illusion 10 (All Senses), Selective, Resistible by Will (50 points)

• Comprehend 8 (as above); Communication 1 (Mental)
    • Mind Reading 10 (Cumulative, Effortless, Subtle, Insidious); Communication 1 (Mental)
    • Perception Multiattack Damage 10, Alternate Resistance (Will), Secondary Effect*
    *We had 10 points left over. Illusion is a biggie

Chi Manipulation:
    • Healing: Energizing Persistent Restorative Resurrection Stabilize Healing 5 – 26 points
    • AE: Vigor: Variable 3 (Limited—only Enhanced Abilities; Fades) – 1 point
    • AE: Drain Chi: Cumulative Affliction 6 (impaired, disabled, paralyzed) linked to Broad (abilities) Precise Weaken 6 – 1 point

Show
    Kyra can manipulate a target's life force with a touch, including healing or harming the target. She can also give herself a sort-term boost to her ability scores. I gave it Fades because she boosts herself by "borrowing" life-energy from the life-forms around her. But what's borrowed must be paid back, so after borrowing too much (Fading the power to 0), she has to pay it back, usually by allowing small amounts of energy bleed off during the day.
    Mmm. Pretty straightforward. That Drain Chi power is pretty underpowered, though.

So, ah... I got you down to 119 points. That doesn't leave you with quite enough points for defenses (they'll always soak 5*PL points, no matter what you do with 'em), much less anything else. As I see it, you've got three options:
    • Drop the telepathy (putting you at 63 points spent)
    • Drop the chi and slap another flaw on the Illusion power to reduce that array to 40 points (putting you at 86 spent).
    • Drop the half-leopard bit (98 points). (Note that you could still look half-leopard if you wanted; you just wouldn't get anything out of it mechanically)

Any of the three would leave you playable, although I don't recommend the last too strongly.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2014-06-08 at 11:21 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Yeah, I'm aware it's a lot . The character is based on one in a story I wrote. She wasn't initially meant top be an M&M character, I just wanted to see what it would take to stat her out. In the backstory/mythology I wrote, all the powers actually make a lot of sense together, but just seeing them as stats I guess not so much, huh?

And what did you mean by the Drain Chi power being underpowered?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

And what did you mean by the Drain Chi power being underpowered?
    It's effect rank 6 on a (presumably) PL 10 character, without a mitigating factor (ie, Multiattack). That's pretty low for use against primary enemies. I wouldn't want to go more than 20% below PL without Multiattack, or 40% even with it. You might get some use out of it against low-power minions, but even then, you'd be better off with a multi-target attack of some sort.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

It's effect rank 6 on a (presumably) PL 10 character, without a mitigating factor (ie, Multiattack). That's pretty low for use against primary enemies. I wouldn't want to go more than 20% below PL without Multiattack, or 40% even with it. You might get some use out of it against low-power minions, but even then, you'd be better off with a multi-target attack of some sort.
    Oh, I see. Well, it was all i could afford as part of the array! I was trying to go with a power that can do either the affliction or the ability drain, as she chooses, like a dynamic array, but I didn't think you could do an array in an array. I guess I could make them individual effects so each could be stronger.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I see. Well, it was all i could afford as part of the array! I was trying to go with a power that can do either the affliction or the ability drain, as she chooses, like a dynamic array, but I didn't think you could do an array in an array. I guess I could make them individual effects so each could be stronger.
    Mmm. The two effects are similar enough that linking them is basically doubling down on the same debuff, sort of like Damage linked to Weaken Toughness. You could take 'em both as alternates, but they don't need to by dynamic-- both are instant-duration effects. You get no benefit from having one at 6 ranks and the other at 4, for instance.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Mmm. The two effects are similar enough that linking them is basically doubling down on the same debuff, sort of like Damage linked to Weaken Toughness. You could take 'em both as alternates, but they don't need to by dynamic-- both are instant-duration effects. You get no benefit from having one at 6 ranks and the other at 4, for instance.
    Shouldn't it give some benefit? I mean, you're inflicting a status and reducing their abilities. Shouldn't that be more effective than just inflicting a status or weakening their abilities (not if the power level is too low of course, but assuming a common power level)? I mean you do both in the same action, that right there should be an advantage.

Also, I'm confused as to how durations work in this system. Let's use thesetwo effects as an example: how long do affliction and weaken last after you use them?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Shouldn't it give some benefit? I mean, you're inflicting a status and reducing their abilities. Shouldn't that be more effective than just inflicting a status or weakening their abilities (not if the power level is too low of course, but assuming a common power level)? I mean you do both in the same action, that right there should be an advantage.
    Sorry. I meant to say that by Linking two similar effects, you're creating a power that's fluff-wise almost indistinguishable from the single versions, but is mechanically twice as powerful.

Also, I'm confused as to how durations work in this system. Let's use thesetwo effects as an example: how long do affliction and weaken last after you use them?
    There are five durations to keep track of:
    • Instantaneous effects are fire-and-forget, one-and-done type things, where YOU don't do anything with them afterwards.
    • Concentration effects require a standard action each round to maintain.
    • Sustained effects require a free action each round to maintain-- they can be "always on," but will drop if you're KO'd or stunned.
    • Continuous effects are switched on and off, but remain in that state until you will otherwise.
    • Permanent effects are, well, permanent.

These are, of course, independent of the time it takes to activate the effect. So Create, for example, takes standard action to active, but has a Sustained duration-- the construct will last as long as you can take a free action each round to maintain it.

Affliction and Weaken are special cases. They're instantaneous duration because YOU don't have to do anything once they're around. Your opponent does, however:
    • With an Affliction, they get a new save at the end of each turn to shake off a first or second degree condition; third degrees require either a minute of downtime or outside assistance of some sort to start recovering. So the duration is really "until a successful save."
    • With a Weaken, opponents recover automatically over time, until they've got all their pp back.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

So, ah... I got you down to 119 points. That doesn't leave you with quite enough points for defenses (they'll always soak 5*PL points, no matter what you do with 'em), much less anything else. As I see it, you've got three options:
    • Drop the telepathy (putting you at 63 points spent)
    • Drop the chi and slap another flaw on the Illusion power to reduce that array to 40 points (putting you at 86 spent).
    • Drop the half-leopard bit (98 points). (Note that you could still look half-leopard if you wanted; you just wouldn't get anything out of it mechanically)

Any of the three would leave you playable, although I don't recommend the last too strongly.
    You forgot option four: Be a glass cannon (i.e.- keep everything and spend the remaining 31 points on defenses).
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    You forgot option four: Be a glass cannon (i.e.- keep everything and spend the remaining 31 points on defenses).
    I would have suggested it if it was a good option. I had a player try that once, and she got vaporized, like, three sessions in. And she had Insubstantial 3, even. So, I mean... I guess you could try it, but I can't in good conscious recommend it.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

If I end up using her, the character in question will probably be around PL 13-15, and take a backseat role as an oracle/wise-woman to help the characters out. That's basically the role she takes in the story I created her in (although she can kick butt if she needs to, her main advantage is information).

But thanks for all your help, Grod! You're the awesome-est M&M guy ever!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

If I end up using her, the character in question will probably be around PL 13-15, and take a backseat role as an oracle/wise-woman to help the characters out. That's basically the role she takes in the story I created her in (although she can kick butt if she needs to, her main advantage is information).

But thanks for all your help, Grod! You're the awesome-est M&M guy ever!
    Mmm. Don't forget to kick up the ranks of offensive powers if you're building her at higher levels. And if she's an NPC, then don't worry about how many points she costs. Literally ignore that number. It's not the best indicator of raw power to begin with, and it's far most hassle than it's worth when you have to build a half-dozen enemies a session.

But thanks.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

I have my first character for the campaign!!!

Grod, could you do the honors of helping with a powers analysis? The player did it at PL 7, because I had been wishy-washy about PL before. I've settled on PL 10 because it's easy, but could you evaluate as a PL 7 character?

Thanks!

Spoiler: Black Glass
    Show
    Formally known as Jacob Evans, he worked in a medical manufacturing firm in New York as a sales representative. Both his parents were originally from England and Evans retained many English mannerisms as well as a slight accent, which helped in his line of work by making him seem more worldly. His success in business came both from his charm and a bit of guile, but he made it a point to at least give his partners a hard but fair deal. His skill at negotiation as well as his upbeat attitude allowed him to climb the ranks in his company without the normal dirty office politics.

Eventually he and a group of other employees were dispatched to negotiate a business deal with the health organizations of Colombia in the capital of Bogota. Negotiations were going well and it seemed likely that an agreement would be reached. Out for a night on the town Evans was taken hostage by a drug cartel and held for ransom money. With his limited understanding of Spanish, Evans was able to hear from his confinement in a closet of the group’s hideout that his company had agreed to pay the ransom which should, hopefully, arrive in Colombia overnight and be delivered the next day. But after four days of waiting, the money had still not come. In their frustration, the thugs executed Evans by shooting him in the head, but the shot was instantly fatal and only managed to paralyses him; so he was still conscious as his limp body was unceremoniously discarded into a lava tube on the outskirts of the gang’s property. All Evans could do was mentally riot in his anger and despair before he eventually succumb to his wound.

Much to his surprise, he woke up from what seemed like a dreamless night of sleep. It was still dark but in his fumbling feeling on his head he found no bullet wound, although his hair around where the shot had entered his skull was still dirty and matted from his blood. Cautiously, he climbed out of the cavern that was his former grave. Upon reaching the crest, one of his handholds broke slightly, giving him a sharp piece of obsidian that seemed to fit his hand. Though the light foliage, he could see that the hideout was still occupied, although it appeared that not as many people were present as when he was “killed”.

Maybe some revenge was in order…

Creeping up to the housing where the utility regulators were kept, he found that because of the humid conditions of the countryside some of the pipes were badly corroded and made for easy pickings with his piece of obsidian. After damaging the electrical conduit causing the lights in the house to flicker, one of his former kidnappers came out to re-secure the power coupling. As the ganger was bent over fiddling with the mess inside the housing he stabbed the man in the back of the neck. Much like his own wound, it was not instantly fatal, and the thug continued to whine and pant on the ground as he snuck closer to the house.

Coning in the way his first victim had exited, he took off his shoes and searched around quietly, finding only one other man in the house. This one, judging by the elaborate room he was sleeping in, was the apparent ringleader or lieutenant in a larger cartel. Not that it mattered; he was still going to kill him anyway.

He slowly slid into the room, considering the best manner to dispatch this would-be crime lord. Standing by the side of the bed, in two swift motions, he pinned the man’s head down into the pillow by the forehead, and dragged the crude obsidian blade across his neck. The gang leader was still choking and gasping as he closed the door.

With the house now to himself, it was time to get a few things in order. First off was a shower followed by a clean suit of clothes. As he dressed himself in the mirror it became clear to him just how much he had changed, both physically and mentally. He was now gaunt, with the bones in his joints protruding more than they had before and the tendons in his arms and legs protruding as his emaciated muscles flexed. His flesh was covered with thick callouses, giving the feeling that he had gravel buried in his skin, and his eyes had changed from a vibrant green to a brownish gray. He also reflected on the two deaths that he had caused. Before he would have felt bad about it and would have rather them gone to prison instead, but now it didn’t bother him; like they had it coming. As he finished buttoning his new jacket, it became clear to him that Jacob Evans was dead, and he was now a new man.

There was still much to do, most importantly, find out how long he had been gone. Watching the TV in the newly liberated house he was surprised to find that he had only lost about a week. While searching the house he managed to find the groups stash of drugs, weapons and money, which contained both Colombian Pesos and U.S. Dollars. Only really interested in the money, he used it to buy a new passport, under his new name of Grant Jacobs, and a plane ticket back to New York.

Obviously, Jacobs couldn’t return to his house, family or old job, seeing as everyone thought he was dead. But having inherited his former kidnappers’ fortune, logistics were not an issue. Now he was free to peruse his next act of vengeance, find out why his company sold him out. After doing a little research on the company website, using his old password to gain access to the company’s financial records, he did find that the company posted an expense equal to the ransom, $2 million, at the time of the kidnapping. So the money was dispatched; what happened to it? Inquiring with some of the companies lower-tier employees he found out that that the person who was to deliver the money, a Mr. Robert Schrader, had also disappeared, and it was assumed he was killed by the cartel as well.

Something about this didn’t sit right with Jacobs, and sure enough he was correct. After doing a bit more digging, included hiring an informant to look up ticket records for several airlines, he found that Schrader has instead flown to Emerald City instead of Bogota. When he found that out Jacobs felt that anger he had felt the day he was shot start to creep back into his mind. Without a second thought Jacobs was on the next flight to Emerald City.

Once there, a simple thumbing through of the white pages was all that was needed to find Schrader’s address. Arriving at Schrader’s upper-class flat Jacobs introduced himself as a PI working for his former company that had gone searching for its two missing personnel. Obviously rattled, Schrader invited him in and explained that while he had originally intended to deliver the ransom, he lost his nerve on the way to the airport. Fearing that his failure would cost him his job, he instead took the money and fled to Emerald and hoped that what he had done would simply be lost in the red tape of things.

Jacobs was at his boiling point. Not only had Schrader let him down, he was living off the stolen fat of his employer which had done the right thing. But the tipping point came when Schrader offered to pay off Jacobs so he wouldn’t expose him. As Schrader went to retrieve the briefcase witch still held some of the ransom, Jacobs raked his back with the piece of obsidian, which he had snuck though airport security by hiding it in his shaving kit. As Schrader laid bleeding and quivering on the floor, gasping for an explanation, Jacobs asked if Schrader recognized him, pulling out his old identification which had him labeled as Jacob Evans. The mix of shock and fear caused Schrader to pass out, giving Jacobs time end the scene as he saw best. He took the briefcase and set in on the floor next to Schrader, took a single bill out of one of the stacks of cash, and dialed 911 just before he left the apartment. Of course, Schrader bleed out before the paramedics arrived, just like Jacobs wanted.

His anger now sated, Jacobs needed something to do with his energy. Deciding to get back into business by helping others and making money at the same time he started his own insurance firm: Obsidian Life. Having worked on the financial side of the medical field it was a relatively easy task for him. While Obsidian Life never grew to be a multi-national company like his old one, it did well enough that Jacobs was able to amass a new personal fortune. Most importantly, Jacobs made the decision to not sell stock in his company, ensuring that as long as he was C.E.O. he was his own boss rather than being liable to major shareholders.

Even with his newfound and well deserved success, Jacobs felt like there was something missing in his life. It wasn’t so much a thing that he didn’t have, it was something that he wasn’t doing. He had kept the piece of obsidian that he had found years ago on the mantel of his fireplace, sometimes wondering why he kept it even after it had been used to mete out more vengeance than any rock normally could.

But then it came to him. He was not alone. There were other upright people who had been done dirty by others and couldn’t make it right by themselves; for not everyone got a second chance like he did. Maybe dispensing some form of retribution on others behalf was in order.

At first he worked by proxy. Having access to claim records he would hire investigators at his own expense to look into crimes, particularly homicides, and then anonymously pass the information onto law enforcement. But eventually, the process became too slow for him, and too often the sentence was too light. It was clear to Jacobs that he had no problem meting out harsher punishments, and that he may be the better candidate to dish out some people’s unfulfilled revenge.

And from the piece of obsidian that had been with him since the start of his journey, he adopted a third name: Black Glass.

Hero: Black Glass Identity: Grant Jacobs (Secret) Player: Matt Dahlin
    Gender: Male Age: 37 Height: 5’ 10” Weight: 134 lb. Eyes: Brown/Gray Hair: Brown
    Group Affiliation: Obsidian Life Base of Operations: *campaign city name* Power Level: 7 (105)
    Power Point Totals:
    Abilities: 44 + Powers: 22 + Advantages: 8 + Skills: 26 + Defenses: 5 = 105
    Strength: 1, Agility: 1, Fighting: 3, Awareness: 3, Stamina: 8, Dexterity: 1, Intellect: 2, Presence: 3
    Defense:
    Dodge: 4(3), Parry: 4(1), Fortitude: 8(0), Toughness: 8, Will: 4(1)
    Offense:
    Initiative: 1
    Knife +7, Close 19-20, Damage 4
    Skills:
    Close Combat (Knife) +7(4), Deception +7(4), Expertise (Business) +6(4), Insight +7(4), Intimidation +7(4), Investigation +8(6), Perception +7(4), Persuasion +11(8), Stealth +7(6), Technology +6(4), Treatment +6(4)
    Advantages:
    Benefit 3 (Millionaire), Benefit 1 (Alternate Identity), Equipment 2, Fearless, Well-Informed
    Powers:
    Immortality 2 (Flaw: Body must be mostly intact)
    Immunity 2 (Critical Hits)
    Impervious Toughness 8
    Regeneration 10
    Damage 0 (2, Easily Removable (knife))
    Gear:
    Knife 1, Smartphone 2, Headquarters 2 (Large, Computer), Lock Release Gun 1, Costume & Mask

Costume:
    Black Glasses costume consists of a suit with dark purple pants, jacket and bowtie with a black shirt and gloves. The mask is made of a black piece of Plexiglas that from the front completely covers his face, giving him a profile of wearing a minimalistic motorcycle helmet. His main weapon is knife stylized to look like a large scalpel, with the metal treated to make is a glossy black.

Powers:
    Black Glass's powers greatly improve his durability. He is able to shrug off lighter damage while quickly recovering from attacks with greater force behind them. His least used, although perhaps most powerful, ability is to return from the dead after a week has passed. This power does require his body to be mostly intact so dismemberment stops the process, but bringing the pieces of his body back together would allow the process to start. Likewise, if he had an organ removed, his reanimated self would lack that organ, suffering any consequences that would come along with it. Cremation is the primary way this process would stop.
    Complications and Motivation:

Black Glass looks more to give out vengeance than justice. He sees this in terms of “an eye for and eye”, and jokingly says that he is in the business of “karma-lising” bad guys. As far as he can see, if criminals willingly violate others, why should they expect any better when they are caught? Needless to say, this doesn’t sit right with those who want to operate “inside the law”.

Perhaps his biggest challenge to his vigilante lifestyle is the fact that he is the sole owner of a company. While he has a great deal of freedom with his day-to-day activities, it does mean that there are certain events where his attendance can be vital, such as negotiations to become the provider for a company for example.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Power Point Totals:
    Abilities: 44 + Powers: 22 + Advantages: 8 + Skills: 26 + Defenses: 5 = 105
    Strength: 1, Agility: 1, Fighting: 3, Awareness: 3, Stamina: 8, Dexterity: 1, Intellect: 2, Presence: 3
    Defense:
    Dodge: 4(3), Parry: 4(1), Fortitude: 8(0), Toughness: 8, Will: 4(1)
    Offense:
    Initiative: 1
    Knife +7, Close 19-20, Damage 4
    Skills:
    Close Combat (Knife) +7(4), Deception +7(4), Expertise (Business) +6(4), Insight +7(4), Intimidation +7(4), Investigation +8(6), Perception +7(4), Persuasion +11(8), Stealth +7(6), Technology +6(4), Treatment +6(4)
    Advantages:
    Benefit 3 (Millionaire), Benefit 1 (Alternate Identity), Equipment 2, Fearless, Well-Informed
    Powers:
    Immortality 2 (Flaw: Body must be mostly intact)
    Impervious Toughness 8
    Regeneration 10
    Damage 0 (2, Easily Removable (knife))
    Gear:
    Knife 1, Smartphone 2, Headquarters 2 (Large, Computer), Lock Release Gun 1, Costume & Mask
    Thoughts:
    • Those defenses add up to 12, not 14 as they should for a PL 7 character.
    • Knife attack is also too weak for a PL 7 (7 attack + 4 damage is 11, significantly too low).
    • The Regeneration + Impervious Toughness could, conceivably, be a problem in a really street-level game, since you're not punching that without a shotgun or rifle. (Or, you know, fancy tech/powers/magic). Plus, high regeneration and an extreme Toughness trade is always a bit worrying, although he'll be easy prey for anything that can hit his Will. Not necessarily bad, but worth thinking about.
    • The Benefit advantage is all kinds of wonky. Benefit 3 is RAW correct, but in-game probably isn't worth more than 1 point.

Otherwise, looks neat and flavorful.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Thoughts:[*]The Benefit advantage is all kinds of wonky. Benefit 3 is RAW correct, but in-game probably isn't worth more than 1 point.[/LIST]

Otherwise, looks neat and flavorful.
    I personally like Benefit, it works nicely because it explains away how a character can do a great many things. For example if one character needs in some place and they have Bruce Wayne levels of wealth I'm pretty sure they can show up and just say they're there to see somebody under some pretense and have it work. That has some intangible benefits beyound the mechanics, but your mileage my vary.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    I personally like Benefit, it works nicely because it explains away how a character can do a great many things. For example if one character needs in some place and they have Bruce Wayne levels of wealth I'm pretty sure they can show up and just say they're there to see somebody under some pretense and have it work. That has some intangible benefits beyound the mechanics, but your mileage my vary.
    Oh, having a lot of money is absolutely worth something. I just don't think it's worth as much as the books say. I'd rather see, say, Benefit 1 (Rich) and Variable 1-2 (Equipment), Slow for a really rich dude.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I disagree. Benefit (Wealth) is incredibly powerful. we're not talking about being able to purchase the latest weapons in the modern world, were talking about the funding for things like doomsday weapons, power armor, spaceships, anything the Batman, Tony Stark or Lex Luthor ever made, the high tech stuff of SHIELD...

face it, being ludicrously wealthy is superpower enough to go toe-to-toe with the rest of the superheroes as well as be a major power player in a superpowered world.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I disagree. Benefit (Wealth) is incredibly powerful. we're not talking about being able to purchase the latest weapons in the modern world, were talking about the funding for things like doomsday weapons, power armor, spaceships, anything the Batman, Tony Stark or Lex Luthor ever made, the high tech stuff of SHIELD...

face it, being ludicrously wealthy is superpower enough to go toe-to-toe with the rest of the superheroes as well as be a major power player in a superpowered world.
    Yeah, but none of that is covered by the advantage. Doomsday weapons are plot devices; everything else is either Equipment or a Device, and needs to be paid for separately. Benefit (Wealth) is only for things like access to parties, civilian transportation, bribery, stuff like that.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

So, the player has updated his character to PL 10. Could you review again? I'll pass you suggestions on and see if he wants to make any changes.

Spoiler: Black Glass
    Show
    Hero: Black Glass Identity: Grant Jacobs (Secret) Player: Matt Dahlin
    Gender: Male Age: 37 Height: 5’ 10” Weight: 134 lb. Eyes: Brown/Gray Hair: Brown
    Group Affiliation: Obsidian Life Base of Operations: Emerald City Power Level: 10 (150)
    Power Point Totals: Abilities: 62 + Powers: 31 + Advantages: 11 + Skills: 34 + Defenses: 12 = 150
    Strength: 1, Agility: 3, Fighting: 3, Awareness: 4, Stamina: 12, Dexterity: 3, Intellect: 2, Presence: 3
    Defense:
    Dodge: 8(5), Parry: 8(5), Fortitude: 12(0), Toughness: 12, Will: 6(2)
    Offense:
    Initiative: 3
    The Resecter +9, Close 19-20, Damage 5
    Skills:
    Close Combat (Knife) +9(6), Deception +9(6), Expertise (Business) +6(4), Insight +8(4), Intimidation +7(4), Investigation +10(8), Perception +8(4), Persuasion +11(8), Sleight of Hand +9(6), Stealth +9(6), Technology +8(6), Treatment +6(4), Vehicles +5(2)
    Advantages:
    Benefit 3 (Millionaire), Benefit 1 (Alternate Identity), Contacts, Equipment 3, Fearless, Hide In Plain Sight, Well-Informed
    Powers:
    Immortality 2 (Flaw: Body must be mostly intact -1/rank)
    Impervious Toughness 12
    Regeneration 10
    The Resecter 5: (Affliction 5 (Stamina Impaired, Stamina Disabled, both from pain, Limited Degree -1, Damage (Strength-Based) 3 (not including 1 from knife), Easily-Removable -2)
    Gear:
    The Resecter (Knife) 2, Smartphone 2, Headquarters 2 (Communications, Computer), Lock Release Gun 1, Multi-Tool 1, Costume & Mask 1 (Mask acts as Flash Goggles), Lincoln Town Car (6?)

EDIT: And, insofar as you can see what the player is going for, how would you stat this character to make him more effective? I'll show it to the player and offer him the chance to make some changes, should he want to.
    Last edited by Absol197; 2014-06-14 at 10:03 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'll throw it into Hero Lab and see if I can find any bits to fiddle with. I have a hard time checking a build without it, but for playing around and coming up with one you might want to check out the demo version.