New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mutants & Masterminds III: How to build some powers?

Quote Originally Posted by Larpus View Post
    Is it only bird wings or "living beings" wings?

Because if insects are in, a whole new array of possibilities open up, such as blinding/sickening powder, illusions caused by reflecting light from wing scale thingies, invisibility with a similar method, etc.

Bat wings also give some opportunities, as they're prehensile and can be used to grab or manipulate things as opposed to merely swat and block.
    No, they're all bird wings. Specifically eagle wings, because that's part of the god's panoply. Great ideas, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Larpus View Post
    Flying with explosions is just the Flight power with the "it's micro explosions, mate" descriptor as far as I know.

Apathy is all colors of Affliction and Weaken, but if you apply some crazy cuckoo logic to it, can be used to all sorts of shenanigans like Teleport by becoming so uncaring of one's spacial location that it literally doesn't matter anymore and as such the user can be at any place he/she wants. This same logic can apply to an array of other things, essentially being reality manipulation.

As for Consequence, that sounds like Luck/Chance manipulation, such as being able to always pick the very worst/best outcome of a
    given action and essentially forcing the unpredictable and/or uncontrolled flaw onto others.
    I love all of these suggestions. I don't think his Apathy powers should allow him to teleport, but I like the idea of his Apathy powers making other people ignore his presence so he seems to be moving incredibly fast or vanishing. There are a lot of ways I can go with that.

Thank you for your help!

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

So I've made an "Impossible Thief" character. There's one ability I want to give her, but I'm not entire sure how to stat it. Basically, I want her to have the ability to take small items from range - essentially teleporting them into her possession. Ideally, possibly with a power stunt, it should be able to dismantle objects as well, by stealing components (I love the mental image of lockpicking by stealing the lock).

How would I go about doing this?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    So I've made an "Impossible Thief" character. There's one ability I want to give her, but I'm not entire sure how to stat it. Basically, I want her to have the ability to take small items from range - essentially teleporting them into her possession. Ideally, possibly with a power stunt, it should be able to dismantle objects as well, by stealing components (I love the mental image of lockpicking by stealing the lock).

How would I go about doing this?
    Teleport X, Accurate, Attack, Ranged, Affects Only Objects ought to do the main trick-- you can target objects at a distance and teleport them around; Accurate ought to let you pluck them out of pockets and suchlike as long as you know they're in there-- or place them inside pockets. The power stunt should probably be Transform (Assembled to Disassembled), Permanent, Ranged, with a base Transform cost of 2pp/rank. (Your DM might require it to be Continuous, based on the sidebar mentioning that "Transform is normally sustained; the target isn’t truly destroyed unless the effect is continuous, and therefore irreversible," but given that that the whole point of the Continuous modifier is to be reversible, I'm not convinced)
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Currently working on a blasting power for an insect-controller/swarm-form character, and I'm running into some potential issues that--due to my relative unfamiliarity with the system--might mean I'm far less effective in combat than I'm hoping to be. The basic idea is that my character attacks people by blasting insects at them, which results in Damage of some kind or Affliction of some kind; to represent this, I made it into an array (replicated below):

Damage 8 (37 PP)
    • Multiattack (+1/rank)
    • Penetrating 8 (+8)
    • Ranged (+1/rank)
    • Alternate Effect: Damage 13 (+1)
      • Area: Burst (+1/rank)
      • Penetrating 6 (+6)
      • Resistible: Toughness (-1/rank)
      • Selective (+1/rank)
    • Alternate Effect: Damage 8 (+1)
      • Penetrating 8 (+8)
      • Ranged (+1/rank)
      • Secondary Effect (+1/rank)

• Alternate Effect: Affliction 8 (+1)
      • Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated
      • Penetrating 8 (+8)
      • Progressive (+2/rank)
      • Ranged(+1/rank)

• Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep
      • Penetrating 8 (+8)
      • Progressive (+2/rank)
      • Ranged(+1/rank)

• Vulnerable/Defenseless/Paralyzed
      • Penetrating 8 (+8)
      • Progressive (+2/rank)
      • Ranged(+1/rank)

Now, the various Damage effects aren't what's causing the problem...it's the Afflictions. Namely, my understanding is that non-Instant Powers (that is to say, powers with lasting effects) are turned off if you switch away from them in an array, but Progressive Affliction is an Instant power that has a lasting effect. If I use the Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep Affliction on somebody, and then switch to another power in the array, would they continue having to save against the Affliction, even though I switched? Or let's say I used that power on several people until they were all asleep, and then I switched to a Damage power; would they all wake up?

I guess what I'm asking is: do the conditions that result from the Affliction power continue affecting the target even after switching the Affliction power to a different power in the array?
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2016-09-16 at 05:02 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #485
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Now, the various Damage effects aren't what's causing the problem...it's the Afflictions. Namely, my understanding is that non-Instant Powers (that is to say, powers with lasting effects) are turned off if you switch away from them in an array, but Progressive Affliction is an Instant power that has a lasting effect. If I use the Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep Affliction on somebody, and then switch to another power in the array, would they continue having to save against the Affliction, even though I switched? Or let's say I used that power on several people until they were all asleep, and then I switched to a Damage power; would they all wake up?

I guess what I'm asking is: do the conditions that result from the Affliction power continue affecting the target even after switching the Affliction power to a different power in the array?
    On the Afflictions turning off, that is only supposed to apply for sustained effects. Think of it this way, if you knocked Mordo the Modrdoculous out using a Damage effect, does the damage go away just because you change to Flight rather than Damage in array? Progressive is a separate issue, but my personal feeling as GM has always been no they don't just stop, you hit them with some kind effect (like being covered in fire ants or something) and the NPC gets to suck it up until they resist or the effect ends normally if its progressive.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

So I'll be playing in a Mutants and Masterminds game at my university soon, and I thought I'd see if people can give me advice on my character.

Spoiler: Doctor Death
    Show
    Hero Name: Doctor Death
    Alternate Identity: Dr Igor Mortis (secret)
    STR 0
    STA 2
    AGI 4
    DEX 0
    FGT 0
    INT 4
    AWA 3
    PRE 0

Dodge 9
    Fortitude 2
    Parry 8
    Toughness 2/6
    Will 8

Acrobatics 2(+6)
    Close Combat (unarmed) 6 (+6)
    Expertise (Medicine) 6 (+10)
    Expertise (Engineering) 2 (+6)
    Insight 4 (+7)
    Intimidation 4 (+4)
    Investigation 6 (+10)
    Perception 6 (+3)
    Persuasion 6 (+6)
    Technology 4 (+8)
    Treatment 10 (+14)
    Vehicles 6 (+6)

Advantages:
    Benefit (Wealth) 1
    Connected
    Contacts
    Equipment 7
    Move-by Action
    Well-Informed

Powers
    Life and Death (23 points)
    • Restore life (Healing 10, Ressurection, Persistent, Tiring)
    • Disintegrating Strike (Damage 10, Penetrating)
    • Weakening Strike (Weaken Stamina 10 linked to Weaken Strength 10, both targeting Fortitude)

Lots of Life Force (10 Points) Regeneration 10 (Persistent, Unreliable)

Equipment
    Grapple Gun
    • Movement 3 (Swinging, Safe Fall, Sure Footing)
    • Speed 3

Enhanced Lab coat Protection 4

Motorbike (Speed 8)
    Mobile Phone
    Handcuffs
    Binoculars
    Torch (flashlight)
    GPS
    Camera
    Computer

3 points invested in team headquarters (+1 size, laboratory, garage)

The fluff behind the power is that Dr Mortis has the ability to drain life force from others, allowing him to harm or weaken them, or pour it into others. As a side effect he has an unusually large amount himself, giving him semi-reliable regeneration.

What I'm wondering is what would be the best way to save points in order to up my defences to about the PL limits, especially those last three points to improve my dodge and parry.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2016-09-17 at 12:27 PM.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

You need your Dodge/Parry and Toughness at full-- it's not optional. Based on some stuff from the other thread...
    • Lose the Persistent Regeneration; that's five points back right there-- though you might also leave off the Unreliable, so <shrug>. It's thematic, but probably annoying to have to roll each turn. Maybe just cut it down to Regen 5, which ought to work out about the same probability-wise?
    • Contacts is only mediocre, and Move-By Action probably isn't too important without a big movement power.
    • You can probably cut down skills a bit, if you really need the points.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

You need your Dodge/Parry and Toughness at full-- it's not optional. Based on some stuff from the other thread...
    Yeah, it might not be so bad as the GM is also new, but I want those few extra points to bump my Dodge/Parry up more (I like focusing on them over toughness, even though I know it's suboptimal).

Lose the Persistent Regeneration; that's five points back right there-- though you might also leave off the Unreliable, so <shrug>. It's thematic, but probably annoying to have to roll each turn. Maybe just cut it down to Regen 5, which ought to work out about the same probability-wise?
    Yeah, Regeneration 5 probably works out as easier, I just like the idea of not being able to count on it. I'll have a think.

Contacts is only mediocre, and Move-By Action probably isn't too important without a big movement power.
    I wasn't cure on contacts, and it's probably going to be redundant anyway. It lets me drop some of the skills anyway. Move-by Action was supposed to work with the grapplegun which moves me up to zipping around rooms or between rooftops.

You can probably cut down skills a bit, if you really need the points.
    Yeah, I'll have a look. Dropping contacts should help me out a lot.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Yeah, it might not be so bad as the GM is also new, but I want those few extra points to bump my Dodge/Parry up more (I like focusing on them over toughness, even though I know it's suboptimal).
    That would actually make me more worried-- enemy creation is something of a balancing act, and a less experience GM seems like they'd be more likely to muff something up.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

That would actually make me more worried-- enemy creation is something of a balancing act, and a less experience GM seems like they'd be more likely to muff something up.
    Well it depends, if the entire group has low defences this is a guy who'll lower the attacks of the enemies a bit. Also, I'm not sure how powerful the enemies will be at all, because the last time I played as with a first-time GM who made enemies that couldn't take down people with stupidly low defences (as in Parry/Dodge+Toughness was below PL). But I think I should be fine if my Parry/Dodge+Toughness is off by a point, especially with the Regen as an additional barrier.

Show

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

How would you create a cage, vehicle, or other such enclosed area that cannot be teleported through? The best I can currently think of is giving the thing a Reaction modified power that does something like Nullify, Weaken, or other such ability that triggers on someone trying to cross through. A Teleport ability that is used to counter the attempt?

The problem is I don't know whether such a reaction is then too late to prevent it, or even if it is actually legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    How would you create a cage, vehicle, or other such enclosed area that cannot be teleported through? The best I can currently think of is giving the thing a Reaction modified power that does something like Nullify, Weaken, or other such ability that triggers on someone trying to cross through. A Teleport ability that is used to counter the attempt?

The problem is I don't know whether such a reaction is then too late to prevent it, or even if it is actually legal.
    Area Immunity (Teleportation)?
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Area Immunity (Teleportation)?
    Does that actually work? I would have thought that Immunity (Teleportation) would just render the box unable to be teleported, not prohibit teleportation through it (though I'm still learning).
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Does that actually work? I would have thought that Immunity (Teleportation) would just render the box unable to be teleported, not prohibit teleportation through it (though I'm still learning).
    I mean, M&M often has poor RAW, so a lot of interactions will fall under GM purview. I THINK area Immunity would work, though; it would make the whole area unable to be targeted by teleport effects, which ought to include destinations...

You might be able to do something with a weird Concealment effect, but Accurate would always get around it.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Alternatively, if you're worried about whether "Immunity: Teleportation" would work, a Continuous Area Nullify (that only affects teleportation) would be expensive, and would involve some kind of opposed check, but it would be definitely legal, to the best of my knowledge.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

On making an area un-Teleportable into I'd go with an area Nullification.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Just got invited to a game of new players with a brand new GM and just read through the book quickly. Took me a bit to figure somethings out, but I have a persisting question and so I came here.

To make a Wolfman-esque character, would I use Metamorph? If so, do I then have an alternate character sheet with a bunch of Wolfman stats and abilities as well as my Regular-dude sheet? Could I then build Regular-dude into a Wizard-guy, for example, and keep the Metamorph as a spell?

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MintyNinja View Post
    To make a Wolfman-esque character, would I use Metamorph? If so, do I then have an alternate character sheet with a bunch of Wolfman stats and abilities as well as my Regular-dude sheet?
    It really depends on the character. The average werewolf needs a Morph effect to change his appearance but might not need the Metamorph extra at all.
    Metamorph basicaly creates an array of forms, each having it's own set of powers. It is best used when you have several (but not virtualy unlimited) different options and/or lose powers associated with your "base" form when morphing. If you only have one alternate form and changing it doesn't make you lose anything, you're better off with linking any special powers to your Morph effect.

Could I then build Regular-dude into a Wizard-guy, for example, and keep the Metamorph as a spell?
    Perfectly possible. But ask yourself if that the character you want to play, and more importantly ask your GM if it's ok for his game. The Metamorph extra, Variable effect and Inventing rules can break M&M hard (when arrays aren't enough already). There isn't much point in cheesing them.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    It really depends on the character. The average werewolf needs a Morph effect to change his appearance but might not need the Metamorph extra at all.
    Metamorph basicaly creates an array of forms, each having it's own set of powers. It is best used when you have several (but not virtualy unlimited) different options and/or lose powers associated with your "base" form when morphing. If you only have one alternate form and changing it doesn't make you lose anything, you're better off with linking any special powers to your Morph effect.

Perfectly possible. But ask yourself if that the character you want to play, and more importantly ask your GM if it's ok for his game. The Metamorph extra, Variable effect and Inventing rules can break M&M hard (when arrays aren't enough already). There isn't much point in cheesing them.
    Thanks for the help. I built a wizard last night for practice and I think I got the basics down. For the actual game I'm likely going to go with a teleporting-motorcycle-riding-chain-fighting-naturally-armored guy. Something simple that won't need many powers or tech.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have a question, what happens if I have an attack + damage at PL cap (say a strength based one), and then my GM decides to randomly increase my strength (like say I get hit with a magical steroid spell)? Do I get to choose whether to be more accurate or damaging every attack? Or does the whole attack become unusable? Or is it not covered, and up to my GM?
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ettin in the Playground

Up to your GM. He's the one randomly increasing your strength after all.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    I have a question, what happens if I have an attack + damage at PL cap (say a strength based one), and then my GM decides to randomly increase my strength (like say I get hit with a magical steroid spell)? Do I get to choose whether to be more accurate or damaging every attack? Or does the whole attack become unusable? Or is it not covered, and up to my GM?
    There really aren't any rules for what happens. My ruling would probably be that your attack roll goes down to match.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

There really aren't any rules for what happens. My ruling would probably be that your attack roll goes down to match.
    I would think you should be able to "pull" your punches just as a teleporter can choose to move less than his full movement. So someone with 20 Strength and 19 Fighting (don't know why anyone would do that...) by the same logic as the teleporter should be able to fight anywhere from +0 attack/20 damage to +19 attack/1 damage so long as he remains within PL caps.

This reminds me of a question I've been considering about Split and PL. If someone has an over-bought ability with Split (say he has a +15 attack and got a 20 rank Damage effect), could they Split it so they have four attacks at 5 damage? Or would it have to be the 5 damage split?
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Wrong and N/A, respectively; power level caps apply just as much during character creation as during play. If you want to be able to vary your trade-offs on the fly you can either use maneuvers, have an array, or both.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Wrong and N/A, respectively; power level caps apply just as much during character creation as during play. If you want to be able to vary your trade-offs on the fly you can either use maneuvers, have an array, or both.
    And where is that in the books? Why can the one Teleport with partial ranks while the Damage power is forced to use full ranks? Things like Insubstantial explicitly call out when a higher rank means they can't use the lower.

The ability example would be a bad one since that is a character creation thing, but it makes no sense when it is based on powers. Why does this power act contrary to normal power rules?
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

It's not about whether you can pull your punches, it's about whether you can buy stats over the cap in the first place. You can't; your Attack+Effect can't be more than twice your power level as a blanket rule no matter where it comes from, and that applies just as much to the bonuses you have as it does to the ones you actually use.

(As an aside, you actually can't teleport less than your maximum distance by RAW, but that's an obvious bug that I'd never suggest actually playing with.)
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

I would think you should be able to "pull" your punches just as a teleporter can choose to move less than his full movement.
    That's just using Accurate Attack, though. Something has to give when PL limits are broken, and I think it makes more sense for that to be your attack roll-- the power is simply too strong to control properly.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #508
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, i'm putting together an Ice themed hero for a game coming up, and I'd like some help. This'll be my first time actually playing (i've made a few characters, each time with some help) and I'd like to know if what I'm doing is correct. I also used the Ice themed powers book to get quite a bit of help already.
    Spoiler: PL 10 Ice Character
    Show
    Spoiler: Abilities=38pp
    Show
    Str: 1
    Stam: 2
    Agi: 2
    Dex: 4
    Fighting: 1
    Int: 5
    Awa: 2
    Pres: 2

Spoiler: Powers=Incomplete
    Show
    [10pp] Immunity 10 (Cold Effects)
    [8pp] Cold Projection: Environment (4) (Extreme Cold)
    [2pp] Ice Walking: Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation – Ice)
    [4pp] Infrared Invisibility: Concealment 2 (Infravision)

[Theses were made for a pl8 character and i don't know how to power them up to 10]
    Frigid Powers:22pp
    [15pp] Ice Sculpting: Create (7) Ice, Permanent, Precise
    [15pp] Ice Slick: (5) Ranged Burst Area Affliction (ice; Resisted and Overcome by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Prone), Alternate Resistance, Extra Condition, Limited Degree
    [16pp] Ice Blast: Ranged Damage 8 (cold and bludgeoning or slashing)
    [16pp] Cold Blast: Ranged Affliction 8 (cold; Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Fatigued, Exhausted, Incapacitated)
    [15pp] Cryokinesis: 3 Perception Ranged Cumulative Affliction (Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Transformed), Affects Objects
    [15pp] Ice Binding: 5 Ranged Cumulative Affliction (ice; Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized), Extra Condition, Limited Degree

Spoiler: Advantages
    Show

Equipment (Smart Phone (Camera, Video Recorder, Computer, Audio Recorder)
    Power Attack
    Accurate Attack
    Ranged Attack (? rank)

Last edited by Xunthrae; 2016-10-02 at 04:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    "Awww, look at that mortal trying to use a scroll, isn't he adorable ? who's a good mortal ? You are, yes you are. Here have a fireball"

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

You look like you're doing well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Xunthrae View Post
    [Theses were made for a pl8 character and i don't know how to power them up to 10]
    [15pp] Ice Slick: (5) Ranged Burst Area Affliction (ice; Resisted and Overcome by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Prone), Alternate Resistance, Extra Condition, Limited Degree
    [16pp] Cold Blast: Ranged Affliction 8 (cold; Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Fatigued, Exhausted, Incapacitated)
    [15pp] Cryokinesis: 3 Perception Ranged Cumulative Affliction (Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Transformed), Affects Objects
    [15pp] Ice Binding: 5 Ranged Cumulative Affliction (ice; Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized), Extra Condition, Limited Degree
    So, Power Creation 101: A Power is composed of Effects and Modifiers. Effects are the base rules, the core spells, if you will, while Modifiers add new permissions and limitations onto that. The Effect says what the Power does; Modifiers tell you how. Each Effect has a cost, expressed in power points per rank. Damage, for an easy example, costs 1 point/rank. Damage 8, as with your Ice Blast Power, costs 1*8=8 points. Modifiers change this cost in one of two ways: if it says Flat, such as Precise, then you add or subtract the points at the very end. If it says Cost Per Rank, then you're altering the cost of the base Effect. Damage costs 1 point/rank, and the Ranged modifier has a cost of +1 point/rank, making each rank of Ranged Damage cost 1+1=2 points/rank, for a total of 2*8/16 points. These can be combined; if you had a Ranged Damage, Precise power, it would cost (1+1)*8 +1=17 points.

So, to upgrade your array, let's look at the costs of each power.
    • Ice Sculpting: Create is 2 points/rank. Permanent doesn't change this and Precise adds one, so it winds up costing 2 points/rank, +1. To get to Create 10, then, would be 21 points.
    • Ice Slick: Affliction is 1 point/rank; making it Ranged increases the cost by 1/rank, as does making it affect an area. Alternate Resistance has no cost, since you're just going from Defense to Defense. Extra Condition is another +1/rank, but Limited Degree decreases the cost by 1/rank. The final math comes out to 1+1+1+0+1-1=3 points/rank, or 30 points for an Affliction 10 version.
    • Ice Blast and Cold Blast: Damage and Affliction are both 1 point/rank; Ranged makes them 2 points/rank. 20 points for Damage 10.
    • Cryokinesis: Affliction has a base cost of 1/rank; Ranged, Perception, and Cumulative each increases that by +1 for a cost of 4 points/rank. Affects Objects is either another +1/rank if you can still affect people with it, or +0 if you can't. So for Affliction 10, you're talking 40 or 50 points, which is... rather a lot. I'd consider avoiding this power.
    • Ice Binding: Ranged Cumulative Affliction comes out to 3/rank; Extra Condition and Limited Degree, as before, effectively cancel each other out. You're looking at 30 points for an Affliction 10.

My recommendation would be to bump everything to rank 10 except Cryokinesis, which would make the array cost a total of 35 points-- 30 points for the base effect, and 5 for the alternate effects. Ice Sculpting, Ice Blast, and Cold Blast all wind up costing less than the cap, so I'd look at adding another modifier to them to power them up. Continuous or Impervious might be nice for the ice sculptures; Multiattack, Secondary Effect, or Area would go well with the blasts. Cryokinesis can either sit at Rank 7 (for Affects Only Objects) or 6 (for Affects Also Objects). Or... my preferred "make them all frosty" power is something like Ranged Weaken Toughness, Affects Also Objects-- only 3 points/rank to make things fragile and brittle, meaning you could set it to rank 10 as well.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #510
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xunthrae View Post
    So, i'm putting together an Ice themed hero for a game coming up, and I'd like some help. This'll be my first time actually playing (i've made a few characters, each time with some help) and I'd like to know if what I'm doing is correct. I also used the Ice themed powers book to get quite a bit of help already.
    Spoiler: PL 10 Ice Character
    Show
    Spoiler: Abilities=38pp
    Show
    Str: 1
    Stam: 2
    Agi: 2
    Dex: 4
    Fighting: 1
    Int: 5
    Awa: 2
    Pres: 2

Spoiler: Powers=Incomplete
    Show
    [10pp] Immunity 10 (Cold Effects)
    [8pp] Cold Projection: Environment (4) (Extreme Cold)
    [2pp] Ice Walking: Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation – Ice)
    [4pp] Infrared Invisibility: Concealment 2 (Infravision)

Spoiler: Advantages
    Show

Equipment (Smart Phone (Camera, Video Recorder, Computer, Audio Recorder)
    Power Attack
    Accurate Attack
    Ranged Attack (? rank)

On the powers being built for PL8 and going to PL10, for the most part add 2 ranks and you should be fine.

As for Advantages, look at using Skills for your attacks, range than Advantages. Reason being is that skills are generally cheaper to buy with points, and they focus down generally just one type of attack, like say Ice Powers.