New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LXXX: Pony Princess Powers, Activate!

Sombra's really more interesting in his Impact than his character.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    You know, it utterly astounds me how misused Sombra is my everypony. DHX didn't give him a proper tribute... And in the fandom, a search on FimFic showed that the majority of stories about him either are comedies, romances (?? No, seriously, if Discord romances make me a bit twitchy, Sombra romances are just... What in the hell.) or attempts to give him a sympathetic, tragic backstory.

I simply cannot get my head around why more people don't use him as the actual, y'know, VILLAIN. Heck, Discord got plenty of milage in stories as an out-and-out villain... I think the closest I've seen really is in the Descendant's Zenith, where it's some of his leftovers that are causing problems.

Maybe just a search using character tags is not a good sampling for Sombra-as-antagonist, but it's utterly bizarre that it's so rare to see anyone actually use Sombra in the role he's ideally suited for. I just don't even.
    For the most part, though, the thing that attacked the Empire seemed to be pretty much his ghost, or whatever you would call a semi-ethereal evil entity with powers over darkness and stuff. And the Crystal Heart blew that up too. At least it's easy to explain why Chrysalis or Discord or somesuch could come back and wreck stuff in Equestria, because they weren't killed. He's basically the closest thing to a DnD wizard in the setting, with his traps and enchantments, so having a few artifacts of evil related to him laying around that could bring him back could work, but really, he's dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Yay!*hugs Lixie*
    Spoiler: Off Topic
    Show

BTW, I finished reading that Dragonblood project you're working on.

I particularly like how you've worked Transcendent Gaian Harmony with the new Elements.

Would you mind If I PMd you for your opinion on the Logical conclusion of that charm?
    ^^
    I have no idea why I'm giving out points.
    Spoiler: !
    Show
    Go ahead and thanks!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Spamalot in the Playground

Sombra's really more interesting in his Impact than his character.
    Yeah. As presented he seems to have been less a pony and more a force of nature. Granted he had a face, but on the whole I liken him more to an intelligent thunderstorm than the evil tyrant he once was.

Hey Trixie, do you have a source for the OP Image?
    Oh and BTW folks, be careful if you decide to go to the url on that image. Not Safe For Woona.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    I second this.

I dunno if I'd say it was that bad. Just really disappointing.

Spoiler: Beautiful human Rarity
    Show
    It is really pretty, but something about it also just seems off.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    That's so gorgeous I want to stab out it's eyes with chopsticks and scream incoherently into the empty sockets out of jealousy.
    That is....not a compliment you see every day.

You know, it utterly astounds me how misused Sombra is my everypony. DHX didn't give him a proper tribute... And in the fandom, a search on FimFic showed that the majority of stories about him either are comedies, romances (?? No, seriously, if Discord romances make me a bit twitchy, Sombra romances are just... What in the hell.) or attempts to give him a sympathetic, tragic backstory.

I simply cannot get my head around why more people don't use him as the actual, y'know, VILLAIN. Heck, Discord got plenty of milage in stories as an out-and-out villain... I think the closest I've seen really is in the Descendant's Zenith, where it's some of his leftovers that are causing problems.

Maybe just a search using character tags is not a good sampling for Sombra-as-antagonist, but it's utterly bizarre that it's so rare to see anyone actually use Sombra in the role he's ideally suited for. I just don't even.
    Sombra would have worked if they either made him talk a lot more, or not talk at all. What we ended up with was an awkward hybrid that was some sort of Evil Overlord Ghost-Cloud that had a thing for large phallic crystals.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2014-06-03 at 06:27 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

6. - Top - End - #36

The Aquabrats! (Supershow!)
    The Aquabrats! (Supershow!)
    The Aquabrats!
    Spoiler
    Show

Nightmare Party!
    Spoiler
    Show

Rainbow Always Wins

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    What we ended up with was an awkward hybrid that was some sort of Evil Overlord Ghost-Cloud that had a thing for large phallic crystals.
    Ah, stole it from one of my roommate's D&D campaigns, did they?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

7. - Top - End - #37

Kobold

Spoiler: Spoiler because long and in character
    Show
    Well, it all started about a month after Cadance and Shining Armor got married.

These big nasty shadow thingies... Um, have you ever played Kingdom Hearts? They were kinda like Heartless, but they weren't Heartless, they sorta showed up and started killing ponies. They got Celestia and Luna and almost everypony else.

Eventually Twilight managed to get the Elements of Harmony out of the ruins of Canterlot, but by then it was too late and the world kinda fell to pices around us. We spent an unknown amount of time floating in a dark plces, before we landed on this place. It was sorta like the ever free forrest, but with doom and gloom and fear and sad being made parta the place.

The world had it's own kinda magic, that Twilight was trying to learn, but she's not as good at it as she is with her unicorn magic.

And while we were there, some bad stuff happened. Big big nasty wolfy came up and bit Fluttershy on the butt, and come the next full moon she's running around trying to bite us untill Twilight managed to slappe some kinda magic on her to make her think like fluttershy again. Now she spends most of her time in her kinda wolfy form, says being apart animal feels natural for her. It's funny really, she's spent so much time with paws that she's really clumsy with her hooves.

Oh, um, a couple years later this really pale Monkey guy bit Rarity on the neck, saying he wanted to taste the blood of something innocent like a unicorn, and she um, got bled to death. we chased the meany off and gave her a proper burial, but a few nights later she got up and um, started trying to bite us, and saying something about serving her new master. We figured out what was going on and killed the meany, and gosh that was hard. I cride for like six hours strate, cuse I was the one who had to holdhim still whuile twilight ounded a stake in his heart. But Rarity came to her senses and after a little bit we figured out a way to keep her fed without hurting anypony. Spike was a Tennager by this point, and since Rarity started not aging, cuz well, you know, vampire, they didn't have to worry about the whole "He's gonna out live her by centuries thing" they sorta started Dating. They're happy together now, and they're getting Married next month

And well, we really didn't like being where we ended up, so Twilight was trying to find ways to get to some other world where we could be safe and happy. one of her plans involved summoning a powerful angel thingy, but like I said, she's not as good at th at worlds magic as she is with her unicorn magic, so she accidentally summoned a Demon thingy instead. it sorta body jacked AJ, and Twilight goofed the exorcism spell, so the demon's mind went, but it's power stayed in Applejack so she's kinda half demon now

Then Dashie and I kinda died in an accident. I don't want to talk about that, but Twilight kinda turned my body into a Zombie and put my soul in it. She was gonna do the same with Dashie, but there wasn't enough of Dashie left, so she put one of Dashie's ribs in my chest cavity close to my heart. After that she put Dashie in with me. After a couple months, She built a robot Golem thingy body and put Dashie's soul in it. I kinda absorbed a bit of Dashie, and she got a git of me while we were sharing a body though, so... Also we started Dating, cuz I kinda had a huge crush on Dashie that she found out about whlie she was in my head, but really it's hard to date when you can't feel each other and one of you can accidentally crush the other if you cuddle.

We'd been in the gloomy world for about 20 years, when Twilight found a book about "Good Necromancy" stuff like using Positive Energy to create good undead(Twilight says they're called Deathless) and she used that book to change this other spell she had and turned her into some kinda Good Lich, hoping that the Power level increase would let her cast a plane shift spell strong enough to escape the "Trapping Field" the gloomy world had. It didn't work though.

Then we met this guy called Dusk(Well, he didn't call himself Dusk then) who had a machine that could go anywhere, even different times and other dimensions.

He helped us escape and promised to take us somewhere we could live and be happy, but after 30 years of looking, we kinda just decided to live with him.

As for what we've been doing for the last four hundred plus years? well, mostly adventure, experiments, Dusk did some magic that lets me and Dashie switch into normal looking bodies so we can cuddle and eat cupcakes and some other stuff that Dashie'll get mad at me for telling. Dashie and i got maried, we found out that the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Derpy from our native version of Equestria survived and landed in other places, but they all got monsterized like we did. the Crusaders are fine, but we had to lock up Derpy cuz she kinda died and turned into a soul eating minster ghost thingy so know we've gotta find and steel something called a Hog You Key or something to fix her. we know where some of them are, but's it's hard to find a world where we can just take it without causing a bunch of issues in that worlds timeline.

Dashie and I kinda adopted our Scootaloo. I'm the daddy.

Our most recent adventure involved dragons, and demons, and humans finding there way to An Equestria, and a very rude fey girl who broke into our house/ship, ans we sorta pissed off this guy named Professor Boffinspark,but I don't think he's a real professor cuz he's too crazy and a little bit racist
    Hhhhmmmmm. Boffinspark? That's one of the ponies roleplayed in this very forum. I'm seeing indicators that at least some of this might be roleplayed. Also the whole vampire, werewolf, zombie thing, too. And Deathless is a D&D-specific thing. I don't know what the Hogyoukey, or hogukey, or whatever it is (can you get an exact spelling?) is supposed to be, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a my-world reference. That's not to say that Tulpa can't have history shared from a particular roleplay (srsly, any given detailed history is enough to generate appropriate memories), but... this sounds incredibly dark. Can you give a bit of meta-discussion about this? I'm sure that after four hundred years of your genre-aware powers you probably have an idea when you are in [x genre] or [y medium]. Hell, by now, Twilight probably knows to ask to get clues to solve problems...

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Nightmare Party!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I read a fic called A Nightmare Moon on Elm Street once.

It starts with Twilight and somepony else(I forget) trying to get illusion projection spheres for a horror film for the girls weekly movie night. They find the a movie that's basically A Nightmare on Elm Street with Nightmare Moon taking Freddy Krugars place(Luna gave the film a negative review because her flank is not that big god damn it.)

Spoiler: Other Points of Interest
    Show
    Twilight went to High school, and dated, the pony version of Johnny Depp.

The Crusaders are trying to get Catapult Cutie Marks.

Pinkie is a bit confused about exactly what kind of... Horror Show the film is.

Applejack is wondering why Ponies in there 20's are olaying teenagers.

Rainbow Dash is wondering why one of the Wonderbolts is playing a jackass teen, but stops worrying becasue she had an ADD moment when she notices that Pinkie has a bowl of Skittles

At the Same time the girls are watching the movie in ponyville, Celestia is watching it in Canterlot and is scared manureless

And something I really liked happened in the last chapter

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #39

Whoa, I found a Babs Seed pairing that isn't with her cousin!
    Spoiler
    Show

Unfortunately the artist put the awful DA watermark on the full sized image.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    For the most part, though, the thing that attacked the Empire seemed to be pretty much his ghost, or whatever you would call a semi-ethereal evil entity with powers over darkness and stuff. And the Crystal Heart blew that up too. At least it's easy to explain why Chrysalis or Discord or somesuch could come back and wreck stuff in Equestria, because they weren't killed. He's basically the closest thing to a DnD wizard in the setting, with his traps and enchantments, so having a few artifacts of evil related to him laying around that could bring him back could work, but really, he's dead.
    Yeah. As presented he seems to have been less a pony and more a force of nature. Granted he had a face, but on the whole I liken him more to an intelligent thunderstorm than the evil tyrant he once was.
    You guys are giving me very specific crossover thoughts. Thoughts which could actually work, although pony magic might present an obstacle, depending how it's framed and how an authorial statement was meant.

I wonder what that'd make the Princesses Regnant, though...
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I will just point out that Sombra, a plain old unicorn - alibeit skilled in dark magic - was able to stand straight up to two alicorns at the height of their power. So uh, yeah, I'd put him easily on a footing with Twilight (pre-alicorn, definitely); maybe he wouldn't have Twilight's overall breadth of potential, but certainly in terms of antagonist potential (likely the sharp end of combat capability), he's right up there.

Not too mention he has by FAR the best character design of any of the major villains (the fact he's closer to pony than monster is part of that).

And as for the blank slate thing? Er, hello? Derpy? Lyra? Doctor Whooves? Cloud Kicker? Pretty much blank slates with less to draw on, were they not?

And seriously... We saw the largest fragment of his horn survive the explosion. Hell, I watched it just today while a youtube music video trip dragged me past. As we saw him regenerate in the show... Now, I will grant you I would be among the very first to have immediately thought "he's gonna regenerate from that" but... And it's not even like that's a defence, considering the amount of comedy slash romance (*shudder*) stories we see about him.

It just beggers my belief that in the great endless cycle of creative pony writing, the fandom has largely ignored the single greatest potential antagonist for the adventure/whatever stories that actually need/want a villain that doesn't need to be redeemed (and there are a number of those), despite him being practically gift-wrapped and marked "for optimal villain usage, set intelligence to desired threat level". Fer frag's sake TIREK has got more use in that regard, and this was BEFORE Twilight's Kingdom.

Sadly, all of my own ideas for him sit neatly after the big long haul of Fic That Will Probably Never Be Written, or I'd be trying to correct the oversight myself.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Huzzah! Another Twilestia shipper. I love this ship simply because they've got one of the most complex relationships in the show. I'm actually writing a Twilestia story right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Yes good.
    Aye; to quote the front page of a Twilestia group I just joined, "other ships just can't compare". XD

Hey which Ponythreaders here play League of Legends regularly, or are interested in doing so? I would like to start up a Pony League team if there is enough interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    You can count me in. My handle is beelzebubcbgptch.
    My handle is Maelstrom30, and I play on the NA servers so no problem with joining. Three problems arise, however:
    • I don't, no, can't play 'regularly' in the Korean sense of the word (lol). That is, I will be logging in at most two or three times a week.
    • The different time zones mean that I will most likely be logging in at inopportune hours.
    • My LoL skills suck. Hard. XD I also own only a few champions, mostly Noxians at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Spoiler: Beautiful human Rarity
    Show
    My stars, darling, that Rarity is gorgeous!

I think the problem I have with most human Raritys is that, having worked 5 years at a college that trained Fashion Design, is that no one really dressed that fancy unless they were walking down the runway themselves. They usually went with practical-wear that won't snag on a sewing machine.

Also, skinnier than what I'm used to, but whatevs. I'll just draw my own, right?
    Well, the East Asian fashion designers I know of all dress that fancy when on camera, whether they're anywhere near the runway or not, so my guess is that the picture is a result of at least partial East Asian influence. Also, by Korean standards (not sure about the rest of the region!), any less slender than that is called 'obese', so given that Rarity is a fashionista and is supposed to uphold to the pinnacle of beauty, by Korean thinking, she should really be that thin. Korean society is obsessed with being thin and beautiful these days.
    Unus Mundus, Una Veritas, Unum Imperium.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Hhhhmmmmm. Boffinspark? That's one of the ponies roleplayed in this very forum. I'm seeing indicators that at least some of this might be roleplayed. Also the whole vampire, werewolf, zombie thing, too. And Deathless is a D&D-specific thing. I don't know what the Hogyoukey, or hogukey, or whatever it is (can you get an exact spelling?) is supposed to be, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a my-world reference. That's not to say that Tulpa can't have history shared from a particular roleplay (srsly, any given detailed history is enough to generate appropriate memories), but... this sounds incredibly dark. Can you give a bit of meta-discussion about this? I'm sure that after four hundred years of your genre-aware powers you probably have an idea when you are in [x genre] or [y medium]. Hell, by now, Twilight probably knows to ask to get clues to solve problems...
    Spoiler: Long and only partially on topic
    Show

Well, I did say that it's entirely possible that I'm just a Pinkie Pie based Persona that the crazy autistic college student writing this post made becasue one of his one of jokes got taken a bit too seriously, and is now playing along with you because you took his entirely non serious joke about the figments of his imagination becoming tulpas seriously

Or I could have never been part of his Imagination in the first place, and he's only pretending to pretend that I'm just a figment of his imagination.

Any way, yes...

Meta discussion

Rater202 likes to post in character, he's currently posting in character as a Daybreak Caste Abyssal version of his real self, but in the past he's posted as Shadow Claw, his character from AdventureQuest, which he stopped doing becuase some one who'se on a first name basis with the second strongest god in his home seeting is a bit too powerful to be roleplayed out of his home setting

his second primary persona, currently spun off as an entirely separate character called Dusk, he portrayed himself as a dimentional traveler. an ionteration with an other poster by the name of Crimson Doom(He's not here anymore, becasue he's doing missionary duty for his church) resulted in about fifteen alternate versions of the Doctor(yes, that Doctor) being premanatly erased from the timeline, while Crimson Dooms primary Persona, amad Unicorn by the same name, absorbed the Doctors powers, effectively becoming a Timelord with Infinite Regenerations.

A Later interaction resulted in Dusk(In Character Rater at the time) being given five timelord regenerations ond the pieces of the TARDIS's of those Doctors, and at that point this thread became a bit too Role Playie, so we made a second Ponythread Freeform Roleplay thread. Now, previously the Real Rater had, in response to a comment made by SiuiS, made a joke about being trapped in the Ravenloft Campaign Setting for Dungeons and Dragons and Meeting Monster versions of The Mane 6. Crimson Doom, in the first post of the second RP thread, mentioned all of them, so Rater hastilly created a backstory for all of us, and adjusted and added to it as the Role Play went on.

Later, an other character from an other Player made mention of a room on Dusk's Patchwork FrankenTARDIS(made from the parts of the aformantiond Dismantled TARDIS's, a time machine stolen from Daleks, and a manure load of magic) that did not exist. So as an explanation for it Rater made up a monster Apple Bloom( a living shadow) who'd been messing with the room creator.

Because of that, he had to add in the other two Crusaders: Air Elemental Sweetiew Belle(Exalted Style) and a Sin-Eater Scootaloo.

A bit later, a storyline involving multiple Death Gods got started, and Rater was at the time working on(and still is) a Bleach/Frindship is Magic fusion setting for use with the Bleach d20 system. Partially to participate in the Death God Storyline, partially to get a feel for how his PonyXBleach fusion would work, and partially to introduce new Characters, he had a Shinigami-Unicorn pursue a Hollow from his Pony! Soul Society to the Equstria the role play took place in.

Had the role play not dies, the Hollow would have Arrancarified, revealing it to be the Derpy from our Equestria.

but the RP died before that could happen, so Hollow Derpy is still a regular Hollow, and therefor has to be locked up or she'll try to eat us. at least untill we can find a Bleach world with a ... How do you spell it?
    Hogyoku.
    Yeah, a Hogyoku we can borrow/steal without upsetting the timeline of that world.

Genre, well It varries from horror to suspense to normal FiM type stuff to more mature adventres and everything inbetween.

Counting the stuff that happens off screen... well, I bet that Lixie would like it.*giggles*

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #44

Kobold

...and now I am about 98.6% sure it's just roleplay, rather than 85% from earlier. Bah! Bah I say!

...Tulpas are awesome. I have some friends with some 'real' ones, though they usually get a headache from channeling them for a while.

ANYWAY, on topic. Sorta. Um.

...Tiberius is best opossum?
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2014-06-03 at 08:28 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Whoa, I found a Babs Seed pairing that isn't with her cousin!
    Spoiler
    Show

Unfortunately the artist put the awful DA watermark on the full sized image.
    I saw a pairing of Babs and Button Mash that seemed to work alright.

...and now I am about 98.6% sure it's just roleplay, rather than 85% from earlier. Bah! Bah I say!

...Tulpas are awesome. I have some friends with some 'real' ones, though they usually get a headache from channeling them for a while.
    I only have one OC who's developed enough to be considered a tulpa. But it's awesome to be able to have a conversation with someone who exists only in your own mind.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    But it's awesome to be able to have a conversation with someone who exists only in your own mind.
    Isn't that just a normal thing that one can just... do? I guess I'm missing something here.

Hey which Ponythreaders here play League of Legends regularly, or are interested in doing so? I would like to start up a Pony League team if there is enough interest.
    Occasionally, but mostly only ARAM. To the point where I can barely handle going into a normal game because it is so different.

As for Sombra, it may also be just because that is the way he came out originally. I remember the jokes had started before the episode had even finished, and that's not a good beginning if you want to be taken seriously. The frequency of comedy fics has just added to that, so it's just some extra cultural baggage you need to dispel if you want to use him in a more villainous manner. It might be easier to just use an OC as long as it doesn't need Sombra in particular for a specific reason.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-06-03 at 09:07 PM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

I will just point out that Sombra, a plain old unicorn - alibeit skilled in dark magic - was able to stand straight up to two alicorns at the height of their power. So uh, yeah, I'd put him easily on a footing with Twilight (pre-alicorn, definitely); maybe he wouldn't have Twilight's overall breadth of potential, but certainly in terms of antagonist potential (likely the sharp end of combat capability), he's right up there.

Not too mention he has by FAR the best character design of any of the major villains (the fact he's closer to pony than monster is part of that).

And as for the blank slate thing? Er, hello? Derpy? Lyra? Doctor Whooves? Cloud Kicker? Pretty much blank slates with less to draw on, were they not?

And seriously... We saw the largest fragment of his horn survive the explosion. Hell, I watched it just today while a youtube music video trip dragged me past. As we saw him regenerate in the show... Now, I will grant you I would be among the very first to have immediately thought "he's gonna regenerate from that" but... And it's not even like that's a defence, considering the amount of comedy slash romance (*shudder*) stories we see about him.

It just beggers my belief that in the great endless cycle of creative pony writing, the fandom has largely ignored the single greatest potential antagonist for the adventure/whatever stories that actually need/want a villain that doesn't need to be redeemed (and there are a number of those), despite him being practically gift-wrapped and marked "for optimal villain usage, set intelligence to desired threat level". Fer frag's sake TIREK has got more use in that regard, and this was BEFORE Twilight's Kingdom.

Sadly, all of my own ideas for him sit neatly after the big long haul of Fic That Will Probably Never Be Written, or I'd be trying to correct the oversight myself.
    Well if you feel that strongly about it, I'll pick up the fic I was working on way back when.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

so I've been on a fanfic binge. i think i may have a legit problem. I haven't slept in...3 days?

aaanyway... how are things in the bronyverse? any new projects get announced, or new memes making the rounds?
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Isn't that just a normal thing that one can just... do? I guess I'm missing something here.
    Yeah, I do that with the figments of my imagination all the time.

Even though I'm pretty sure they aren't "Real" Tulpas.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

I'm still skimming the conversation, but aren't tulpas mental constructs?
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

21. - Top - End - #51

Kobold

I only have one OC who's developed enough to be considered a tulpa. But it's awesome to be able to have a conversation with someone who exists only in your own mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    Not everyone can sustain both sides of a conversation with someone other than them in their head. Fewer can be surprised at what the person says and get answers and a separate, distinct set of back-and-forth where they don't have to actively model the other person. Tulpa creation is a specific ritualistic method of getting a more-separate-than-normal sorta hallucination / semi-external energy construct / mental construct that doesn't generally follow your OWN line of thinking.

22. - Top - End - #52

Kinda.

It's complicated.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #53

Not everyone can sustain both sides of a conversation with someone other than them in their head. Fewer can be surprised at what the person says and get answers and a separate, distinct set of back-and-forth where they don't have to actively model the other person. Tulpa creation is a specific ritualistic method of getting a more-separate-than-normal sorta hallucination / semi-external energy construct / mental construct that doesn't generally follow your OWN line of thinking.
    So basically an imaginary friend with a mind of it's own. Basically what I thought.

Of course, the Term Tulpa is also used in creepy pasta to refer to a monster or other creature that starts out imaginary but becomes real because one or pmore people belive in it.

The Slender Man is an example of a tulpa of this type, and this type is what I was referring to when I made my initial joke.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Well that's the question. Did he stand up to them or get horribly smacked down but managed to pull off a single spiteful spell in return?

Really? Discord just looks more interesting, Crysalis has her whole dark bug fey thing, and Nightmare Moon was awesome. Sombra was a cloud of black with a face.

Yes, but they aren't dead. The others have the major advantage that they can actually interact with everypony. And lets face it, a lot of the background ponies are basically OCs. Really, Lyra can jump from personality to personality depending on the story. Same with Derpy.

Yeah, but when a lizard loses it's tail the tail doesn't become a new lizard. Plus he was completely shattered, not just slightly injured. When I saw the blast I instantly thought he was dead.

I think the problem is that he wasn't that interesting on screen. Or that much of a threat.

I do have a story in mind involving Sombra, where it's basically when the Pony Princesses confronted him. It'd basically be him trying to overcome their massive power through trickery and traps. And eventually failing and being destroyed.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, that's what I figured it might be. When I talk to myself (that sounds weird) or draft conversations in my mind, I guess it's just me but with a mask on and maybe a few switches flipped. Interesting idea though, probably makes for great mental exercise.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

26. - Top - End - #56

I've head canon'd it that at least one Crystal Pony has a piece of shattered sombra in a jar under their bed so they can look at it an know for sure he's dead.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    You guys are giving me very specific crossover thoughts.
    Good, good. Let the ideas flow...

Which form, the shadow or his pony form? The latter is really cool. The former, pretty meh for a 'character'.

Heck, isn't there a huge shared headcanon that Sombra made/is connected to the Alicorn Amulet? Like it's a horcrux for him?
    I'm assuming there is, otherwise why am I the only one writing about this?

Quote Originally Posted by meto30 View Post
    Well, the East Asian fashion designers I know of all dress that fancy when on camera, whether they're anywhere near the runway or not, so my guess is that the picture is a result of at least partial East Asian influence. Also, by Korean standards (not sure about the rest of the region!), any less slender than that is called 'obese', so given that Rarity is a fashionista and is supposed to uphold to the pinnacle of beauty, by Korean thinking, she should really be that thin. Korean society is obsessed with being thin and beautiful these days.
    Being fancy before the camera is a thing. Totally know that one from fashion shows I've seen.
    The other... sigh, I nearly got into a lot of trouble for being vocal about that at the college job.

I saw a pairing of Babs and Button Mash that seemed to work alright.
    Alright! Best day ever!!

If my local friends were any indication, totally yes.

aaanyway... how are things in the bronyverse? any new projects get announced, or new memes making the rounds?
    I ACTUALLY WROTE HALF OF THE NEXT CHAPTER FOR MY OUTLAW MARES 3 FANFIC!! :D
    I am really stoked that my muse came back to me today. Manly tears of joy my friends. Manly tears.

Meanwhile, GalCiv2 has decided it will make me Ragequit this game. I loaded it up to see if Celestia and my combined fleets could take on the hub of pirates out there in space and yes, we could! We were actually making good headway toward ridding the map of pirates. Finally! ...and then The Peacekeepers showed up.

For those not in the know~ The Peacekeepers is a multi-fleet event where they try to purge the entire map of all spaceships. They always start with 200+ better attack rating than anyone else. The difference between 200 points in this game is like watching a dude with a Henry repeating rifle fight a B2 bomber that drops a nuke on the soldier.

I've head canon'd it that at least one Crystal Pony has a piece of shattered sombra in a jar under their bed so they can look at it an know for sure he's dead.
    Is it Gear? :D
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #58

Is it Gear? :D
    No.

Having seen ponies die in the mines and just being tossed in a mass grave, and not having a proper funeral for his uncle has lead Gear to have a great respect for the Dead.

remember how Gear was very insistent on Jackie getting a proper burial? The same thing applies to everypony, even Sombra.

Not that Gear isn't happy that he's dead and counts witnessing said death as a happy memory.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2014-06-03 at 10:34 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

This headcanon is worth five points.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

30. - Top - End - #60

Why does Applejack keep pigs at her farm?