New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belkar's fate

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Belkar's fate

I have been thinking this for a while but also knowing these forums i am far from the first to think it likely

Belkar will be taken out by Durkula either behind the parties back or with Roys permission/non interference since he is running out the clock,
    and as much as I would love Belkar to somehow return after the prophecy ( he has always been one of my favorites ) I think he will be killed and later when Roy finds out that Belkar was actually right about Durkula and let him be killed he will try and get him resurrected and Belkar will refuse much like Shojo enjoying himself too much and enjoying the guilt Roy would feel

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Belkar's fate

I lean more toward behind the party's back, unless Belkar does something REALLY bad. I have a feeling the S.G.O.W. who cried wolf is going to be mauled by said wolf to shut him up...
    It doesn't matter what you CAN do--it matters what you WILL do.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Were the HPoH to suggest to Roy that they should kill Belkar, I think that would tip off to Roy that something was wrong regarding Durkon. Were he to suggest they remove Belkar in another way, Roy would refuse for reasons he made clear when he was justifying his association with Belkar in the afterlife. The fate of the existence is on the line and if Roy was to be picky about continuing to adventure with Belkar... maybe he would need to re-evaluate his association with evil Durkon.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Belkar refusing runs against his current "team player" attitude. I predict Belkar will be killed in a manner that makes resurrection impossible. I also predict it will be at a climatic moment in the plot and not done in the non-dramatic fashion you are suggesting. Belkar will not be killed in the shadows, his death will be one of the most shocking moments in the entire story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Belkar refusing runs against his current "team player" attitude. I predict Belkar will be killed in a manner that makes resurrection impossible. I also predict it will be at a climatic moment in the plot and not done in the non-dramatic fashion you are suggesting. Belkar will not be killed in the shadows, his death will be one of the most shocking moments in the entire story.
    I can see where you are coming from and i personally hope he goes out that way it just seem unlikely that Durkula will just leave belkar alive to continue his very open accusations of him not being the real durkon, would seem pretty counter intuitive of an evil person trying to stay incognito,
    Last edited by draigan; 2014-06-04 at 12:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TurtlesAWD View Post
    Were the HPoH to suggest to Roy that they should kill Belkar, I think that would tip off to Roy that something was wrong regarding Durkon. Were he to suggest they remove Belkar in another way, Roy would refuse for reasons he made clear when he was justifying his association with Belkar in the afterlife. The fate of the existence is on the line and if Roy was to be picky about continuing to adventure with Belkar... maybe he would need to re-evaluate his association with evil Durkon.
    But the afterlife justification has very little meaning anymore now that he knows belkar is within weeks of death. he admitted himself that he is just running out the clock and having say durkula refuse to heal ( or pretend to be out of spells) belkar as an example would not likely effect him much especially if since he is under the assumption that belkar is to die very soon, he could just accept it as the foretold death

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lheticus View Post
    I lean more toward behind the party's back, unless Belkar does something REALLY bad. I have a feeling the S.G.O.W. who cried wolf is going to be mauled by said wolf to shut him up...

Yeah i do to i just thought it would be extra irony and be something belkar would do following his mentors actions and also a last joke/screw you to Roy

8. - Top - End - #8

PaladinGuy

I'm going to post one thing and leave, what if the oracle's prediction was metaphorical? I think that it is perfectly possible that Rich wont kill belkar off but instead, have him become neutral or (gods forbid) good.

I know it sounds crazy but I dont want belkar to die.
    There is a time for metaphysical experimentation, and there is a time for doomlasers and face-punching. Do you know what time it is? -Pax Empyrean, Spacebattles

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by czieg View Post
    I'm going to post one thing and leave, what if the oracle's prediction was metaphorical? I think that it is perfectly possible that Rich wont kill belkar off but instead, have him become neutral or (gods forbid) good.

lol A man can dream, personally I hope you are right I have always loved the little psychopath

10. - Top - End - #10

This was the obvious arc since the moment Durkon became a vampire, yes. But maybe there will be a twist.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by czieg View Post

I sure hope not. Belkar needs to die. I hope he gets an awesome death, but I hope he dies. From a narrative standpoint, the oracle went into far too much detail to be metaphorical, and from a character standpoint, the only way I can see Belkar becoming even neutral is to learn how to sacrifice. He can go down fighting a horde of enemies, until he dies atop a pile of corpses that stretches to heaven itself, but he still needs to die, to make that choice. (And yes, I prefer he sees his death coming, but faces it like the SSGoW that he is, because it achieves something that needs doing)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Belkar will die soon, we know that much. If it is at the hands of the High Priest of Hel (or really in any case), I feel certain that it will be something big, dramatic, and shocking that also manages to wrap up his character arc. I also think he will be dead permanently.

Peelee’s Lotsey

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I think it would make the most sense to turn Belkar into a vamp if by clmatic point you mean the OOTS saw him kill Belkar. Plus, if my knowledge is correct, you would have to kill a vampire to resurect the real prson, so Belkar wouldn't be able to be ressurected easily. If Belkar died, it would be very sad. Belkar, earlyon, was the best of the order. Hope he doesn't die.
    Last edited by lolthfollower; 2014-06-04 at 10:40 PM.
    PbP games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Seven Adventurers of Chamar: Running

WW games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Careless Investigation: Running/Recruiting

Titles earned:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Follower of Lolth
    Cataloger of Silly Games
    Lolthdisciple
    The One Who Took The Cookies From The Cookie Jar

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Belkster's death will be awesome. It has to be. The Sexy Shoeless God of War cannot die a cheaply death. He will die in battle, against overwhelming odds. Heck, he might even die protecting Mr. Scruffy.
    Since the start, personally, the saddest moment was Durkon's Death. Roy's was hilarious (I know, I am a terrible person). Still, I kinda feel bad for the little guy who is doomed to die.
    Honestly, he will probably die in an ultimate melee during the final battle

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Though I can't say much about Belkar's death, I can say that he probably doesn't need to be killed in a way that makes him impossible to raise. Unless the Race for the Gate is still on and Belkar can be raised to aid them in an expedient matter, I'd go so far as to say that Roy could, and in all probability would, eliminate the possibility of Belkar being raised in the future. I wouldn't be surprised to see him Disintegrated at his funeral, if and when there is one.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

I do believe that it will be Durkula taking out Belkar in some manner (although I hope, it's a self-sacrifice instead), but I do not see Roy approving of it. He already abandoned a party member back when Elan was kidnapped by the bandits, and he later repented and went to the party's rescue. That character development has been done. In fact, we already see Roy defend Belkar in comic 285.

17. - Top - End - #17

AssassinGuy

How about charging toward Kraagor's Gate atop Bloodfeast the Extreminator, to prevent both Xykon and the IFCC taking control of it? Of course it won't work out as planned; it will end up somehow destroying the Gate and flinging Belkar's body into the Snarl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

For what's it's worth, my vote would be that when Durkula turns on the OotS during the climatic scene at the final Gate our little Sexy Shoeless God of War is there with a couple of wooden stakes and manages to place one or both firmly into the vamp's blackened heart just as Belkar's rage ends, ushering the little psycho into the afterlife. (Although it would be a total volition of the afterlife's rules as we've seen them in the Stickverse, part of me hopes that he does indeed wind up living the dream he had in the Desert Gate and that's why being raised would never work.)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

What makes you so sure that that's when the High Priest of Hel will turn on the Order?

Peelee’s Lotsey

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Dramatic Tension mostly coupled with the idea that I don't think good ol' Durkon is going to be coming back from this one ... although that last bit is just a gut feeling on my part and could easily be wrong. (We've already seen Death's Revolving Door once in Roy's case, seems to me that if too many of the main characters start using it then their "lives" are cheapened a little too much.)

Shortly after posting another thought hit me, remember what the Orcale told Elan about "Happy Endings"? He'll get one, which would probably include Haley, but I'm not so sure that Roy isn't going to be the one that leaps into the "arms" of the Snarl in order to defeat it once and for all.
    Last edited by MLMII; 2014-06-08 at 05:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MLMII View Post
    Dramatic Tension mostly coupled with the idea that I don't think good ol' Durkon is going to be coming back from this one ... although that last bit is just a gut feeling on my part and could easily be wrong. (We've already seen Death's Revolving Door once in Roy's case, seems to me that if too many of the main characters start using it then their "lives" are cheapened a little too much.)
    Well, if Belkar kills the vampire, Durkon will hopefully come back, assuming the Order wins.

Peelee’s Lotsey

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Eh, in my opinion it makes a better story for Durkon's ashes to be housed in his family crypt with honor, remember how happy he was when he realized that his body would get to return home? (If only he knew...)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eh, in my opinion it makes a better story for Durkon's ashes to be housed in his family crypt with honor, remember how happy he was when he realized that his body would get to return home? (If only he knew...)
    I think he would also be happy if he got to return home alive. Previously, the only way he was returning home seemed to be through death, since he was ordered out of the Dwarven Lands indefinitely. However, since it appears that both of his prophecies are being fulfilled soon, he may end up being able to return home living.

Peelee’s Lotsey

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Oh I agree, Durkon himself would most likely be head over heels happy to get to return to his homeland alive ... provided that his time in the human lands hasn't "corrupted him" for lack of a better term. (I not saying that it has, but one of the themes often found in "coming back home" stories is that the hero finds that things aren't quite as rosy as he/she remembered them being since his quest in the larger world has caused him to "grow".)

However, I think that perhaps I wasn't being clear with my meaning ... in my opinion it makes a better story if Durkon dies and his body is returned to his family crypt, his arc never really struck me as getting a "happily ever after", it struck me more as a "duty onto death" type arc.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Oh I agree, Durkon himself would most likely be head over heels happy to get to return to his homeland alive ... provided that his time in the human lands hasn't "corrupted him" for lack of a better term. (I not saying that it has, but one of the themes often found in "coming back home" stories is that the hero finds that things aren't quite as rosy as he/she remembered them being since his quest in the larger world has caused him to "grow".)
    Hmmm. So perhaps, for example, he would have lost some of his lawful ideals (perhaps as a result of what the High Priest of Hel is doing to him), and that would change his opinion of the Dwarven Lands?

However, I think that perhaps I wasn't being clear with my meaning ... in my opinion it makes a better story if Durkon dies and his body is returned to his family crypt, his arc never really struck me as getting a "happily ever after", it struck me more as a "duty onto death" type arc.
    Personally, I am hoping for his victory. Nothing wrong with either opinion, I suppose.

Peelee’s Lotsey

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

The ending:
    Roy will dive into the gate, dragging Xykon with him, to destroy the Scribble, and will die but succeed in destroying both Xykon's body and the Scribble.

Belkar will die, slaughtering all of Tarquin's Team except Tarquin, Most of Team Evil, and Durkula (using Roy's Sword as a surprise weapon).

Monster in the Darkness will be revealed and seal all the gates, then retire to an island to hang with his friend O-Chul.

Sabine, Helgya, Thog, Red Starshine, and his Resistance Group will appear and kill Tarquin in revenge for all Tarquin's deeds while Elan waves to Thog and Sabine.

V will be waylayed until the last moment, then will reappear and absorb all the excess energies from the Gate, and then in one supreme moment of power will undo Familicide and spread happiness across the lands.

Mr Skruffy and Blackwing, with Banjo, will find and destroy Xykon's Phylactery.

Sabine will go to the underworld to make out with Nale and torture his father, over, and over, and over, and over...

Haley and Elan will then live happily ever after, with Roy's sword hung over the mantle as a memento of their adventures.

Durkon's ashs will spread to all the corners of Dwarven Lands, spreading his Death and Destruction across the land.

Without Durkon to resurrect him, Belkar will have to move on, but Mr. Skruffy and Bloodfeast will find safe haven living in Elan and Haley's grand Palace with Vaarsuvius advising them and Thog as their bodyguard.

The religion of Banjo will spread across the planet, usurping all other religions.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Slightly altered version:

With the last part becoming True (the Church of Banjo becoming worldwide), new deities will be introduced into his Pantheon:

Varsuvius: Deity of neutrality and magic, supreme deity of all arcane spellcasters.
    Roy Greenhilt: Deity of good, heroics, and justice.
    Belkar Bitterleaf: Sexy Shoeless Deity of War and Nature
    Durkon Oakshield: Deity of law, wisdom, and healing
    Sabine: Deity of mischief and seduction
    Nale: Deity of evil, villainy, and injustice
    Elan: Deity of the Arts and second only to grand supreme Banjo himself
    Haley Starshine: Deity of Thieves, Archers, and Love (Steals Hearts and Shots Arrows of Love)
    Thog: Deity of Goblins and Orcs, usurping both the Dark One and Giggles places in those areas
    Giggles: Fallen brother of Banjo, deity of pain, slapstick, and schadenfreude, also sticks, long hard, painful sticks.
    Last edited by Mr_Scruffy_Kilz; 2014-06-09 at 06:53 PM.
    I have a signature now!!!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have no doubt Mr. Ralph Hinjo Bluetawn will be involved. The paladins will get involved when they inevitably arrive and provided Belkar doesn't die from the thieves guild's army of thieves, mercenaries, assassins, and bribed clerics of Loki (that last one is most interesting), Durkula will have to eliminate Belkar if he wants to ensure his trail is cold when he attempts his escape. Belkar may be be known for terrible tracking, but hatred is a powerful fuel for hard work...and hard work trumps talent if talent is all one gives.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Yeah, I would guess that Belkar's efforts to expose Durkon will eventually earn him a death at the hands of same. I also figure he would refuse any attempt at resurrection if he ends up in the afterlife hanging out with Azure City's Emperor.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Belkar is not going to die. The Oracle's prophecies regarding him were a misdirect. There will be a side-quest to Xykon's Astral Fortress of Doom, the Order will succeed in occupying it, and Belkar will decide to stay there with Bloodfeast and Scrufffy: no eating or breathing in the Astral plane (which is "not of this world" obvs), plus former lich's astral asteroid castle with alosaurus and feline best friend is a totally metal happy ever after for Belkar.

As an added bonus he won't have to deal with that whole domestic cat lifespan ≠ halfling life span disparity that sucketh so much.
    Last edited by Lexible; 2014-06-12 at 10:41 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lexible View Post
    Belkar is not going to die. The Oracle's prophecies regarding him were a misdirect. There will be a side-quest to Xykon's Astral Fortress of Doom, the Order will succeed in occupying it, and Belkar will decide to stay there with Bloodfeast and Scrufffy: no eating or breathing in the Astral plane (which is "not of this world" obvs), plus former lich's astral asteroid castle with alosaurus and feline best friend is a totally metal happy ever after for Belkar.

As an added bonus he won't have to deal with that whole domestic cat lifespan ≠ halfling life span disparity that sucketh so much.
    What about funding his IRA? And why would the Order go to his fortress anyways?

Peelee’s Lotsey