New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Los Angeles: The Door Is Locked

It feels hotter than it is. It's probably only in the high twenties but the air is still as a grave; it feels as though a hot, dry, dusty blanket as settled over the city. Its not without its good points; Tala has been moved to start dressing in cardigans and has been looking very cute, but the newly awakened draconic iceflame in Tony has been crying out for glaciers.
    The cafe is good, although right now the breeze from the aircon is more welcome than any amount or quality of coffee. It's not crowded, and has a pleasantly relaxed, unhurried atmosphere. The traffic outside stands in stark contrast; the plate glass window between Tony and the street doesn't do much to deaden the beeping of horns and roaring of poorly muffled engines.
    Something in the newspaper, a few pages in, sparks Tony's memory. 'Airport Bombers Identified', the headline reads, and the attaached article fingers a cell of the terrorist group 'The Blood of Carthage' as the perpetrators behind the attempted bombing of New Luskan airport last New Year. The article goes on to name several of the cell's ringleaders and praise the anonymous informant who tipped off the authorities.
    The bell rings, and Tony sees Brad ducking under the doorframe. The move to LA has been good to him; in the warmer climate his mane has grown thicker and glossier, and his eyes have a burn in them that wasn't present before.
    "Hey, Tony." He says, as he lowers himself into a chair after getting his coffee. "Rocío called me, she won't be showing up. From what I gathered, she met a girl last night and isn't intending to move from where she is for a while. If only we could all be so lucky." He grins.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Los Angeles: The Door Is Locked

Tony greets Brad with a nod as he ducks inside the café, and then he puts the newspaper down, keeping the page that has the headline about the airport bombers. While his oversized friend gets some coffee, Tony sees to his own drink. Never having developed a taste for coffee himself, and no longer truly appreciating the warmth of a hot chocolate, he has settled on drinking a cold strawberry smoothie. He is just about to take a sip when Brad comes over with his coffee. "G'mornin', Brad." he says, before listening to the news about Rocío. With a wry smile, he chuckles as he replies. "Well, I wouldn't call her lucky just yet. The girl could turn out to be a psycho, ya know." Tony finishes with a grin. "But, good for Rocío, if she’s not." Finally, he takes a sip of his smoothie, and then he frowns.
    Last edited by Toxic Avenger; 2007-02-11 at 07:24 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Brad notices the frown.
    "What's up? Bad smoothie?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

4. - Top - End - #4

"Oh, it tastes good enough, but it's a bit too warm..." Tony glances about the café for a moment, presumably to see if anyone else is too close nearby. Seemingly satisfied, he quickly makes an odd gesture as he speaks a couple strange words. "Kosj arcaniss." He then holds a hand over the top of his glass for a few moments, before taking a drink. Smiling, he says, "Ah, much better. How's your coffee, Brad?"
    Last edited by Toxic Avenger; 2007-02-11 at 07:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

"Fine as it is, thanks. Anything interesting in the paper?"

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

"Sure. I just noticed this..." Tony points to the newspaper, folded open to show the headline in question. "It seems that they just found out who ruined last New Year's Eve for a few people."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Brad looks at the headline and takes the paper, skimming through the article.
    "'Blood of Carthage', eh? Sounds like they took classes on naming from Mr White." Brad hands back the paper, frowning. "Wasn't one of your friends from work meant to be catching a flight then?"

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

"Heh. I could give him a call and ask him." Tony quips as Brad hands back the paper. After thinking for a second, he replies, "Yeah, that would be Ericka; she was going to see her folks, too...a bit of a bummer."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

"At least they've found who did it, I suppose." Brad shrugs, and takes a sip of his coffee.
    From the street, the usual noises for traffic are suddenly drowned out by the deafening screech of warping metal and shattering glass. Brad chokes on his coffee as the sound of the wreck is replaced by screams of surprise and alarm.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Tony snaps to attention at the sound of the wreck, and he turns his head toward the window. "Crap." he mutters, as he gets up and heads for the front of the café, in order to get a better idea of what's going on outside. As he does so, he uses the empathic link to check on Phoenix, his little flying friend.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Pheonix is sending surprise and mild alarm.
    Out the window, Tony and Brad can see that a small cargo truck has driven straight into a wall on the other side of the road, a few doors down. Several pedestrians are cautiously clustering around, and at least one has a mobile out, presumably ringing for the emergancy services.
    As they watch, the truck's back doors slam open and to the horror of the crowd, four large, dark furred bears step out. The pedestrians scream and flee.

[Tony 23]
    [Bears 15]
    [Brad 3]

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

What the ****?

Tony points at the bears, and with a touch of sarcasm, he says, "See, Brad? If we were all as lucky as Rocío, then we'd miss out on all this fun." He sighs. "Well, maybe there are some tranq guns in the truck." He heads out the front door of the café, watching which way the bears start moving before deciding what to do himself.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

The panicking people trying to get away from the bears make getting out difficult, but Tony and Brad manage to push through the crowd.
    The bears seem confused, and alarmed by the light and sound. They're just staring around , unsure of what to do.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

After pushing through the crowd, Tony gestures as he speaks a word of arcane power, and he looks for the quickest way around the bears to the cab of the truck, before heading in that direction.

[Casts Be the Ball]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The traffic is stopped, the drivers having fled, and Tony weaves through the cars towards the truck. Two of the bears start walking off away from the truck, along the footpath in the direction of the coffeeshop. Curiously for bears, they walk on hind legs instead of all fours. The other two remain where they are, sniffing at the air and blinking in the light. Brad heads off through the cars towards the wandering bears.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Seeing Brad head for the wandering bears, Tony makes haste in getting to the cab of the truck. Once there, he takes a look inside. If it is inaccessible, he hurries back to help Brad instead.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Tony makes it to the truck's cab; the door seems to have swung open when it crashed. The driver is slumped in his seat; the airbag has inflated but he seems to have hit something else, as he appears to be dead. On the seat next to him is a clipboard.
    Tony hears padded footsteps behind him; one of the bears has apparently seen him run to the truck and has come to investigate. It peers at him, blinking. It doesn't seem too threatening, but it's huge, bigger than Brad, and has some very, very large claws.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Bears, what do I know about bears...? ****, that's right. They say that you shouldn't run from bears.

Not seeing anything immediately useful in the cab of the truck, Tony decides it best not to take a closer look. While giving the bear a wide berth, he starts to move around the bear cautiously and as non-threateningly as possible, backing away diagonally at first. Once he is a few steps away from the truck, he gestures toward the truck's cab while he continues on.

[Total Defense (+6 Dodge bonus), move 30 feet]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

The bear pads forward. When Tony gestures towards the truck, it turns its head towards it, peering myopically inside. Seeing nothing of interest, it turns back to Tony and watches him for a moment, before proceeding around the truck and back onto the footpath.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Tony moves back to the back end of the truck, trying not to get the bear's attention again...for the moment. Once he gets there, he scans the scene before figuring out a plan, all the while hoping that Brad isn't having trouble - or anyone else, for that matter.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

The bear keeps walking along the sidewalk, looking from time to time in shop windows. The other bear is moving towards the other two, who are standing on the footpath staring at Brad, who is standing in front of them, blocking them from proceeding.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Seeing that Brad isn't in trouble for the moment, Tony decides to take a look in the back of the truck.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

The back of the truck has the company logo imprinted on the side; a winged sandal with Hermes Transport printed underneath. Inside there is just broken shackles, and little else.
    One of the blocked bears takes a step forward, draws itself up and roars at Brad. Brad straightens up and roars right back.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Tony quickly scans both sides of the street, looking for a good place to get lots of food on a very short notice. If he doesn't see one, he starts moving toward the bear that went down the sidewalk, unless that will take him too far away from Brad.
    Last edited by Toxic Avenger; 2007-01-09 at 01:52 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Tony spots a takeaway chicken place on the other side of the street. The lone bear keeps wandering. The roaring bear takes another step forward and swings at Brad, who punches it under the chin. It staggers back, dazed, and the other two bears back away.
    Tony hears distant sirens.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Tony whistles at the lone bear, in an attempt to get its attention. If he is successful, he starts heading back closer to Brad. If not, he heads for the takeout chicken place.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

It looks around at him, but keeps moving. The pair of bears hang back, considering. Brad steps forwards and deals the dazed bear a nasty blow to the gut, doubling it over. It stays on its feet, though.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Unless the other two bears are joining the fight, Tony rushes to the takeout chicken place. Once he's there, he quickly says, "I need to get that bear's attention, could I get some chicken, please? However much this..." He slaps a twenty down on the counter. "...will buy. And if you have a some takeout menus, I'd like a few of those, too."

If the two other bears do join in the fight, then Tony abandons the plan of luring the lone bear back with food, and heads over to help Brad.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

As Tony crosses the road, Brad continues to rough up the bear. The other two stay well back. The girl at the counter quickly hands over two barbecued chickens, pointing at the stack of menus on the counter. She looks out as she slips the chickens into bags.
    "Your friend's real brave." She says, as she hands Tony the chickens and Brad punches the bear again.
    The sirens are growing louder.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Tony grabs a few menus, and then he takes the two bags of chicken as he replies with a smile and a nod. "He sure is. I doubt that you'll find a braver man anywhere." Then he hurries back out into the street, heading toward the lone bear. Once he gets close enough to be accurate with a chicken launch, but still at a relatively safe distance from the bear, he whistles at it once more as he holds up both bags.