New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Europa Universalis 4 Thread 2: Comet Sighted!

Quote Originally Posted by Alipuriaharsh View Post
    This game is not available in India. Bring it in India please.
    Not even off Steam?
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

So, uh...I made a claim for the throne of Japan, because Portugal was getting uppity and I wanted some more manpower. They had an uncertain succession and I had a royal marriage so I thought why not.

Except now they hate me, they broke off the alliance, and the massive Manchu blob also made the claim. Any advice for fighting a superior enemy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    So, uh...I made a claim for the throne of Japan, because Portugal was getting uppity and I wanted some more manpower. They had an uncertain succession and I had a royal marriage so I thought why not.

Except now they hate me, they broke off the alliance, and the massive Manchu blob also made the claim. Any advice for fighting a superior enemy?
    Make sure to take the defensive. Attacking armies will get penalties for all sorts of terrains, while defenders will not.

What tech level and type are you and Manchu?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Make sure to take the defensive. Attacking armies will get penalties for all sorts of terrains, while defenders will not.

What tech level and type are you and Manchu?
    Thankfully we have a very narrow shared border - there's still some Ming, Zhao, and various other rump states left over. So it should be pretty easy to park my guys there and wait until they come. Unless they arrive by sea, I guess. My navy isn't very good.

I don't remember what tech levels we have, but I'm Chinese and they're Steppe Nomad (I think) so I should have a bit of an edge there.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure how the geography over there looks like, but try to lure them into a mountain if at all possible. Defenders in mountains can hold off vastly superior forces, and inflict massive casualties on them. And make sure you have a decent general in command!
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So in my latest game, I decided that as Brandenburg, I would attempt race the Protestant Reformation and Form Germany before things started getting shaken up...Or at least gather up the Cores needed to form it, as the 10 admin tech requirement would be rather difficult to do unless you managed to delay the Reformation by 20-30 years.
    I almost got! At the end of the day, the only piece of land that wasn't either directly mine or my vassal was Nürnburg and it was to be my next target. I probably would have made it too, if it weren't for those meddling HREmperors. The unlawful territory penalty that hits every member of the HRE when the Emperor comes calling really put a strain on my alliance with Austria, who was not emperor, but all but necessary for my early expansions. There was a few times where I had so much Aggressive Expansion that if i had lost my alliance with Austria, I would have been hit by a nasty punitive war. I threw a screenshot at the end of the post. It's 30 years after the Reformation started, but I haven't really done much expansion since. After I failed in my mission, I decided to go after the HREmperor title myself and try for both forming Germany and unifying the HRE. So i spent a good deal of time just sitting and waiting for relations to improve. I think i'll probably have Denmark, Poland, and most of Germany(especially after i get those claims from forming Germany) under my control in the next 60-70 years, because I am the Emperor now. I don't have to worry about him yelling at me and causing relation hits with everyone i know and love(To subjugate)

Last edited by Leecros; 2014-06-13 at 11:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

7. - Top - End - #67

Started a new Huron game. I don't have CoP so I just sort of waffled about beating up neighbours until France dropped by. Now I'm successfully Westernized (although Catholic) and slowly catching up...if only my manpower would recover faster!
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Definitely not regretting leaving France as a "final boss" sort of deal in my Castile game. Turns out once colonial interests collide, you don't really want the BBB as your friend anymore.

Took several 100k vs 100k battles with France on one side and me and Austria (and Mantua, who got fairly large somehow) to whittle down their absolutely enormous manpower.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anyone interested in an EUIV succession game?

Maybe with a republic so we can actually vote for people from the forum to lead our country. With savegame editing we could even put our names in.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sure, I could be interested in some EU4 action.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

The problem with an EU4 succession game is that (I think) everyone needs to have the same checksum.

And, well, does anybody still play this game unmodded?
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    The problem with an EU4 succession game is that (I think) everyone needs to have the same checksum.

I used to play it modded, but I haven't in quite a long while. The only mod really big enough to be worth losing Ironman is MEIOU & Taxes, and that's a bloated mess, so...

Personally, I'd be more interested in a multiplayer game than succession.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2014-06-19 at 04:47 PM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be interested in either a succession, or a multiplayer game. I doubt mods would be a problem, iirc Paradox stats were that something like 5% of the people use a mod at all.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd be interested in either multiplayer or succession. In a succession game I could be slotted in after someone has a really good run as I'd likely flail ineffectively before being choked by rebels.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

*raises hand*

(Except for a small minimod I made myself to include EU3 songs.)

16. - Top - End - #76

So, in my Huron game I've finally come into conflict with England. France is on my side but they're not helping much, and I have yet to win a victory against the English despite having Westernized and acquired horses and cannon. I'm about 8 levels of tech behind, but I'm throwing triple to quadruple numbers at the Redcoats without accomplishing anything. It seems that the simple effort of marching is depleting the morale of my troops, making them quickly crumble...what do I do?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

So, in my Huron game I've finally come into conflict with England. France is on my side but they're not helping much, and I have yet to win a victory against the English despite having Westernized and acquired horses and cannon. I'm about 8 levels of tech behind, but I'm throwing triple to quadruple numbers at the Redcoats without accomplishing anything. It seems that the simple effort of marching is depleting the morale of my troops, making them quickly crumble...what do I do?
    Defend in mountains? I'm not sure of the geography of North America ingame, but there should be places where you can force crossings?

Barring that, I'd just play a defensive war and just unsiege any province they manage to take. (Also, you might want to pick up military ideas if you haven't done so already. Defensive is a very good complement to low tech nations.)

18. - Top - End - #78
    Halfling in the Playground

I'd also be in for some multiplayer action!

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Defend in mountains? I'm not sure of the geography of North America ingame, but there should be places where you can force crossings?

Barring that, I'd just play a defensive war and just unsiege any province they manage to take. (Also, you might want to pick up military ideas if you haven't done so already. Defensive is a very good complement to low tech nations.)
    They win when I'm defending, too. It's weird.

I do have a military idea, but it's Quantity (I was tired of having no manpower available, it's really helped a lot).
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

20. - Top - End - #80
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mods aren't a problem, since everyone can download them for free unlike DLC.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Eight levels of tech? Military tech or just tech in general? If it is the former, there is no way you're going to win a single battle no matter the numbers. If it is the latter then some additional information could be helpful.

What's your combat width? Using less infantry than your combat width, or not having enough in the second line to resupply the first line may cause you to have artillery in the first line.

How do your generals compare to those of Great Great Britain? with 1.6 generals matter much more than they used to and lucky nations like GB have usually really strong ones.

How do your other stats compare? As far as I can remember GB has +5% discipline right off the bat.

Some other pointers: Quantity is arguably the worst military idea group. Even aristocratic is better most of the time. I'd take Offensive, which has both manpower and land forcelimit modifiers.

Also, even after westernization you may tech faster but you no longer gain western units like you used to.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Murmaider View Post
    Some other pointers: Quantity is arguably the worst military idea group. Even aristocratic is better most of the time. I'd take Offensive, which has both manpower and land forcelimit modifiers.
    Quantity isn't bad, but if you're taking it to offset manpower issues then you're using it wrong. It's not usually a good first military idea to take, but that's a different story.

THe military ideas should be enhancing your military situation, not making up for your lackings. DO you have national ideas that boost discipline? Make your troops even more beastly with Quality! Lots of land and manpower? Take Quantity to give yourself almost infinite troops for no money! Small country with not much forcelimit/manpower? Take Offensive so that your (likely only) army is lead by the best possible general! Trying to deal with advanced enemies who really want your land? Take Defensive to bleed them white!

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Sure, Quantity is not bad, it's just the worst military idea. I would probably pick it over Espionage and... I don't know, Exploration as Austria?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

I dunno, Espionage got a lot better just by virtue of being a Diplomatic idea group now instead of an Administrative one...

Oh, and rebels getting hilariously stupid in the last patch.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2014-06-23 at 10:44 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Murmaider View Post
    Sure, Quantity is not bad, it's just the worst military idea. I would probably pick it over Espionage and... I don't know, Exploration as Austria?
    Eh, I think they all have their place. Espionage is really powerful if you have Ottomans/Russia/France/Ming/Other-powerful-country as an angry neighbor. Giving a bunch of revolts, ruining alliances and knowing troop placements can be a very useful precursor to war with major powers.

On the Succession Game front, if people are interested in it, we should start figuring out who to play.

Very important decisions to make:
    -Mods? Do we want to use MEIOU & Taxes? Something else? Vanilla?
    -Expansions? Looks like there'll be a mini-expansion coming out soon, should we wait for it? Only use specific ones?

Country choices:
    -Western country? If so, should be something smaller to add challenge.
    -Muslim country? Steppe Nomads? Fight the backwardness inevitable conquests from Europe!
    -India? SOme new stuff went into India in the latest patch/expansion, could be neat!
    -New World? East Asia?
    -Any other cool ideas?

26. - Top - End - #86

Oh, and rebels getting hilariously stupid in the last patch.
    I might be in the minority, but I actually like the strong rebels. I much prefer them being an actual threat you have to worry about and negotiate around rather than just mosquitos you have to swat occasionally.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry, I wasn't trying to complain.

I was just saying that Espionage Ideas are in a much better place right now, as Support Rebels has gotten a lot stronger with the substantial increase to rebel strength.

Also they give spy offense now it's kind of funny that they didn't do that before.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

For the succession game, I only have one suggestion.

Ulm.

29. - Top - End - #89

Oh! Oh! Idea!

Play the Hansa.

Tagline: Contiguous provinces are for chumps.

Only own provinces that are centers of trade/estuaries, no owned province can be adjacent to another owned province.

30. - Top - End - #90

Speaking of the Hansa, is it possible to get anywhere as Novgorod? It seems like Muscovy declares war on you pretty much immediately, and they have way more soldiers than you.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective